Interiors trend report for spring/summer 2016

Nov 4, 2015

by Emily Dean

Yes, we know it might sound a little premature, but forward-thinking Etsy sellers are already planning ahead for 2016!

To give you a head start – and this  is useful for savvy shoppers, too – we asked Pip McCormac, Lifestyle Director of Red Magazine and award-winning author, to break down the BIG home decor trends for spring/summer 2016.

In the Pink

SS16 interiors trend In the pink

Pink is the new neutral. No, really. Not bubblegum pink, obviously, or princess, but soft grey-pink, the colour of calamine lotion, flamingo feathers, early signs of a sunset. On walls, sofa fabrics or textiles it becomes grown up, sophisticated, subtle. And the best way to pair it is with metallic. Not the flashy glint of copper but the soft glow of bronze, gleaming next to blush with an expensive-seeming shine.

Take inspiration from Granger and Co King’s Cross, with it’s ultra-luxe blend of both. Quietly high end, reassuringly calming to be around.

Shop the pink edit here.

A New Leaf

SS16 interiors trends A new leaf

You can’t have failed to have succumbed to the succulent trend, little spiky plants popping up in corners, sprouting on mantles, spikily architectural. But the new vogue for softer shapes makes ferns the feeling of the moment, their long fronds waving dreamily out from terracotta pots. Hazy and gentle, they speak of afternoons spent lazily in sunlit glens.

Gardening not your thing? Then fern motifs works equally well. On plates, cushions, or prints they’re proof that green is the warmest colour.

Shop the leafy edit here.

Mint Condition

SS16 interiors trends Mint Condition

Working well with both Bronze and Blush and ferns, mint comes straight off the catwalk and into the home. Popping out as a chair against a white wall, or ceramic egg cup on a country table it feels fresh, inviting, a lot like the flavour of the same name.

Think of this as an accessory rather than whole-room palette – dot it in against paler colours and  softer tones to provide a zesty hit.

Shop the mint edit here.

Wood from the Trees

SS16 interiors trends Wood from the Trees

Almost everything looks smart against a dark surface, and the sooty polish of rich brown wood helps the most inexpensive accessories glimmer. Dark wood furniture is cosy and intimate, creating a private member’s club vibe of total, utter refinement.

It feels more right for the season than blonde wood, with its airy lightness and Springy notes – this is a material to hunker down with, cover with quilting, and fire up Netflix for. It speaks of joyful hibernation.

Shop the wood edit here.

Repeat to Fade

SS16 interiors trends Repeat to Fade

Clashing prints are a riot of colour, but nothing beats the quiet pastel temperance of an ombre fade. Hanging on a curtain pole, going from white to green, or blooming on a vase from blue to grey, it’s like sorbet for the soul: soothing to be around.

Use ombre fabrics to cover sofas or cushions, or go for two-tone decorative pieces to dot on shelves and surfaces. An easy way to introduce colour, flair and style.

Shop the ombre edit here.

What do you think of the big interiors trends for 2016? Have you started planning your collection yet? Did your take some inspiration from our interiors insights? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @EtsyUK!

You might like…

Fashion trend report for spring/summer 2016
Winter fashion trends for 2015: How to get the look
Editor’s Picks: Our most coveted finds

• Kashuen

Kashuen Collectibles from Kashuen said 2 years ago

I like that quality wood furniture. And who can ge enough of leaf?

• jenniferhough589

Jennifer Hough said 2 years ago

Love the pink - my mum and I call it 'mushroom pink'; love the ferns and love mint! Bring on 2016! Also, love, love, love wood! All in all, sounds earthy and natural for 2016!

• LoveButtons

Julia K Walton from JKWaltonCollages said 2 years ago

Some nice themes emerging. I love the leafy greens, wood and mint. All good!

• afterglowretro

robin parfitt from afterglowretro said 2 years ago

yep can see that these are trends that are gradually coming in now, much as I love cacti its great to see other plants like ferns getting a look in, and the mint, pink and bronze are great different colours!

• LifeCovers

Sally Lucas from LifeCovers said 2 years ago

Loving the mint colours and the wood. Wonder if Harris Tweed will come out with a new shade of mint?

• identitypapers

Linda Hasking from IdentityPapers said 2 years ago

I think it may be my year the fade trend works beautifully for me as I have an ombre wallpaper collection with the top seller being https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/252137992/wallpaper-9m-roll-cloud-rococo-ombre I also introduced a silver version of my Quick Brown Fox Wallpaper and it works beautifully with the new pastels, especially the pinks that are now in. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/250259469/quick-brown-fox-wallpaper-silver-10m Roll on 2016 (wallpaper pun!)

• scattyartist

Laura Lee from scattyartist said 2 years ago

I have quite a few ideas in mind for 2016, I'm glad to see that two of my ranges will be fitting in perfectly!

• Villedefleurs

Tatiana from VilleDeFleurs said 2 years ago

Love mint, green leaves… any shade of it… so relaxing and inspiring and soothing… always using it in any interior design project...

• eanjewellery

Elizabeth Anne Norris from eanjewellery said 2 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! Green has always been my favourite colour but I love love love that shade of pink.

• Enchanted42

Enchanted42 from EnchantedDecorations said 1 year ago

Pink works out perfect for me. I can use it during Valentine's, Easter and Mother's Day. Just add an accent color and done! Thanks, Madeline

• ArabellaReason

ArabellaReason from ArabellaReason said 1 year ago

I love the new trends! Gardening is one of my favorite things to do, and I have been growing Maidenhair ferns for two years. It is nice to see this lovely plant on trend! These delicate plants are quite demanding of care but the reward of their beauty is such a joy! Thank you for the insight into 2016!

• fizzytextiles

Fiona Pitkin from Colorbloom said 1 year ago

I love reading & seeing the new trend reports - it makes you look forward to new things and pushes you to come up with new designs & colours (the mint colour looks fresh & bright). Hopefully my ombre designs on cushions/pillows & other accessories will appeal to new customers!

• HOME TRENDS TO LOOK OUT FOR THIS SPRING-SUMMER - Trendification said 1 year ago

[…] Credits: CasaVogue, Etsy, Cedarandsalt, Resource Furniture, Brabbu, Katemonteith […]