Alice in Wonderland 150th anniversary: UK events

Jul 1, 2015

by Jenny Gresham

This year marks the 150th anniversary of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. Put a grin the size of the Cheshire Cat’s on your face and go down-the-rabbit-hole with these Alice-inspired events across the UK – not forgetting, of course, our own collaboration with The British Library, coinciding with their Alice exhibition later this year…

Oxford

Alice's Day in Oxford

Oxford is where it all began as this is where the real Alice was from. It’s Alice’s Day this coming Saturday – a yearly celebration coordinated by the Story Museum, including workshops and music. A fun day out for families – especially if the weather is nice.

Also in Oxford is a river cruise, recreating the journey in which Lewis Carroll, Alice and her sisters took where the story was first told. You can arrange a champagne picnic, Mad Hatter’s Cruise or Dinner Cruise – lovely!

Brighton

Mad Hatter Dining Room

If you’re taking a trip to Brighton you have to stay at the Wonderland House (it’s probably even worth making a special trip just to stay!). This beautiful hotel can be visited any month, any year. All the rooms are themed around the story, so you can stay in Alice’s Room, The Queen of Hearts Room or The Tweedles Bedroom – or have breakfast around the Enchanted Table.

If you want something a little less novel and a bit more boutique, Wonderland’s little sister is just up the road: The Looking Glass cottage is beautifully and tasteful decorated, keeping in theme with Alice in Wonderland. It sleeps 6-8 people and it’s in the centre not far from the beach so it’s ideal for a group of friends looking for a fun getaway.

London

Alice-Underground

London is jam-packed with Alice wonders including operas, exhibitions, pop-up shops and afternoon tea:

Other Alice hotspots…

RHS Adventures in Wonderland

RHS Adventures in Wonderland

Redesigning Alice Etsy and the British Library

Eleanor Stuart

Five fun facts about Alice:

1. The novels were banned in China in 1931, on the grounds that “animals should not use human language…”
  2. The tree that is said to have inspired the Cheshire Cat’s tree stands in the garden behind Alice’s home at Christ Church College, Oxford.
  3. Lewis Carroll suffered from a rare neurological disorder that causes strange hallucinations and affects the size of visual objects, which can make the sufferer feel bigger or smaller than they are – a huge theme of the book. The disease, first discovered by English psychiatrist John Todd in 1955, was later named Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. It is also known as Todd’s syndrome.
  4. Dinah (Alice’s cat) has become a popular literary cat. Not directly linked but if you like cats why not visit Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium?
  5. Kathryn Beaumont voices Alice in the Disney animated film. She also voices Wendy Darling in Peter Pan.

More Etsy news…

Top 10 Etsy finds from Mollie Makes magazine
Join Etsy at the WI Centennial Fair!
10 years of Etsy trends

1 Featured Comment

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago Featured

Hey guys! Just to clarify that this isn't a comprehensive round up of every single Alice event taking place in the UK, nor a detailed guide to the areas Lewis Carroll lived in or frequented; more a selection of events that have caught our eye - feel free to suggest your own additions in the comments as we are aware we haven't captured EVERYTHING! :)

• HeSellsSeaGlass

Neal Willis from HeSellsSeaGlass said 3 years ago

This is great. It would have been nice to have seen Sunderland getting a mention. Many of Lewis Carroll's family, including his brother lived here and he would often visit himself. There is a cave entrance in the cliffs at Riker which may have provided the inspiration for the rabbit hole and the city has Alice themed events taking place throughout the summer.

• JuliaPeculiar

Julia from JuliaPeculiar said 3 years ago

I didn't know it was the 150th Anniversary this year. Lovely to see there is so much going on.

• redappledesigns

Alison from redappledesigns said 3 years ago

There is an Alice yarnbomb at Saltburn pier - very cool :)

• Dorinavdbrandeler

Dorina van den Brandeler from DoriKri said 3 years ago

Alice in Wonderland has been always one of my favorite reads! How nice there's so much going on in the UK! I must get a cheap flight over from Italy! Thanks for this article!

• angelafinch

Angela Finch from SerendipityFinch said 3 years ago

I'm very surprised that Daresbury, near Warrington hasn't been mentioned. Considering Lewis Carroll was born there and spent his childhood there.

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago Featured

• neonoyster

bec from dAKOTArAEdUST said 3 years ago

The Frome Independent Market in Frome, Somerset have an Alice in Wonderland themed special tHIS sunday with a fancy dress parade and mad hatters tea party!

• lnlemonlime

lillianna jubillee said 3 years ago

Raggedy Anne and Andy (Johnny Gruelle sp?) was my very first book..... Alice in Wonderland, was my 2nd. I have always loved the stories and the wonderful, wonderful illustrations....a fabulous story for young children, silly, fun and romantic..very sweet! Happy Birthday, Alice et al.

• priyaamrit

The White Fire from TheWhiteFire said 3 years ago

This is so cool! Would really love the afternoon tea :)

• ballantynesusan

Suzi B from icijoli said 3 years ago

Check out ici joli on Etsy for fabulous Alice prints on calico and linen, x

• GarnetLee

Diane Higgins-Lee from SilverHares said 3 years ago

I belive The White Rabbit was inspired by one carved in St Mary's Church, just here in Beverly, Beautiful East Yorkshire!

• Mysti25

Emma Whitmore said 3 years ago

If you do make it to Daresbury in Warrington, there is the Alice stained glass window in the church there. It's also got a disappearing Cheshire Cat in the beams!! My childhood nickname was Alice I had long golden hair wide blue eyes and my mother often dressed me in powder blue for Sunday best and the Disney cartoon is one of my favourites, but the book is so much better and my imagination was happy to take me down the rabbit hole along with Alice!! Whatever you do enjoy it and read the book!

• AliceInGemLandLtd

Alice In Gem Land Limited. from AliceInGemLandLtd said 3 years ago

I highly recommend the book 'The story of Alice' by Robert Douglas-Fairhurst. My friends nicknamed me Alice, I read this book and it inspired me to follow my dreams. Learning all the background to the book was incredible.

• iluvtool69

Lea said 3 years ago

Wonderful article--thanks for the share! We're all mad ;)

• mahakhatib

Maha Khatib from KhatibArt said 3 years ago

I could not imagine that it could exist a magical getaway with Alice. I live in Romania so it's difficult for me to leave overnight but it is a beautiful place to keep out in his address book. I think i will organise the annual meeting with my sisters their. Thank your for this share.