11 thoughts you have before opening an Etsy shop

Jun 16, 2015

by Susannah Bradley

You’ve been meaning to open an Etsy shop for a while now, but you keep putting it off. Well, we can help you!

Our 30 Day Challenge is the perfect opportunity to get guidance on what to focus on when you first start! Join Etsy admin and experienced designer/makers in our new Facebook group for weekly advice and assignments to get your Etsy shop started by 15th July – just in time to apply to sell your goods at national Etsy Christmas markets, called Etsy Made Local.

If you’ve said or thought any of the following phrases recently, then you should limber up and prepare to take the 30 day Challenge – join the Facebook group HERE to get started today:

1. “I could SO make that.”
Last weekend down the local market, you saw lots of cute art prints, felt toys, and kid’s clothes, but every time you picked up an item, all you could think about was how you could TOTALLY make that.

2. “You can never have too many washi tapes, tbh”
At last! A bona fide excuse to make use of all those washi tapes you’ve managed to accumulate. They make for an excellent finishing touch when sending out orders, you know.

3. “If I step on one more lobster clasp…”
Stop leaving those pesky little fixtures randomly around the house and start selling your jewellery on Etsy already. We can help you!

4. Wah! I don’t know what to call my Etsy shop
What’s in a name? Only everything! But we’ll talk you through the process with our top tips, so there’s no need to go for ‘Susannah’s Shop’ *yawn* or similar. WE GOT THIS.

5. “I’ve totally spotted a gap in the market for handmade [fill in the blank]”
If you’ve identified a niche, get in there before another seller else swipes your idea – no need to suffer all of the frustrated feels of someone who should have opened an Etsy shop *sad face*

6. “I’M DROWNING IN CRAFT SUPPLIES”
Let’s face it. Your craft supply cupboard is overflowing and those supplies aren’t going to use themselves. So get in there and get making – it’s time to take the challenge!

7. I have no idea how much to charge for my stuff?
Don’t be that guy that charges too little for their time, nor that other guy whose prices are off-the-scale expensive. We’ll help you find that perfect balance.

8. “Yeah, but my Etsy items will never appear in search so there’s no point”
It’s all in the keywords. And we can advise on which keywords are, er, key.

9. “I’d love to be able to sell my handmade gifts for Christmas”
Etsy is organising a huge, national event this Christmas, hosted by local sellers all over the UK. Exhibitor applications are open 15 June – 15 July, but you can only apply to sell your items if you have an active Etsy shop and you join the hosting group of sellers!

10. “I want to… but I don’t have time”
There is a lot to think about when you first set up, but the weekly lessons in our Facebook Group will take you through important topics to help you get set up in 30 days.

11. “I’m ready to start but am feeling OVERWHELMED, what even is life!”
Our 30 day programme is the perfect opportunity to get guidance on what to focus on when you first start!

If any of these thoughts sound familiar, then it sounds like you’re GAME ON to open an Etsy shop – and we’re here to get you ready for action with a series of weekly exercises for you to take (don’t worry, no star jumps involved) 💪

Head over to the 30 Day Challenge Facebook group HERE and subscribe. The programme runs from 15th June – 15th July. Each week, we’ll post up our best advice on two topics along with an assignment to help you apply that knowledge to your own Etsy shop.

And of course, we’ll be here to help answer your questions along the way.

Join us and take the challenge to get your creative business started this summer!

If you don’t yet have an Etsy shop, get started at etsy.com/promotions and enter the code ETSYMADELOCAL for your first 20 item listings free. Yay!

• TheSnapShooter

Sandi Kyle from TheSnapShooter said 4 years ago

I'm so happy that my shop is almost set up!!

• LittleRockit

LittleRockit from LittleRockit said 4 years ago

What a great idea to get people moving! It took us a little time to get everything in order, but once you take the plunge it's so rewarding (in many ways) :)

• sheilbnz

sheila benzie from Calliehay said 4 years ago

The Etsy shop helps you so much and makes you feel confident

• f8wrks

Daniel Ol'gbemi from YnIwCI said 4 years ago

Its really overwhelming and that alone is discouraging. However, people don't usually plan to fail rather failing to plan. I don't create but I love to recreate by blending unique styles with old fashion and antique-like elements. Great post and helpful tips on here.

• freespiritgardens

Benjamin Failor from MossAndMore said 4 years ago

This should help get a lot of people on Etsy.

• theowlinthearttree

The Owl in the Art Tree from TheOwlintheArtTree said 4 years ago

We are totes overwhelmed with craft materials and in the mids of my new sterling silver shop. sound like a challenge. BRING IT ON !!!!!

• denywen

Denise Roberts from NiceNeicey said 4 years ago

I set my shop up In May of this year, the best thing ever. The great thing about it, is you can add, delete, tweak as you go along. And before you know it, you have a customer from America who finds your stuff original and unique. Can't get better comments then that. Go on do it!!

• aligems1

AMJAD ALI from aligems1 said 4 years ago

Great Ideas and informative Notes.

• QuillingOn

S B from QuillingOn said 4 years ago

This Article so hits the right cords, its true we think of million and one reasons for 'wanting to do it, but cant seem to do it' and all you gotta do is 'JUST DO IT' :)

• 2busykissin

trish healy from Bednotmade said 4 years ago

I have a handmade shop but would also like to sell vintage items, do I need two shops?

• priyaamrit

The White Fire from TheWhiteFire said 4 years ago

These questions were definately in our thoughts when we first started, our advise, for for it, its so much fun :)

• LoveButtons

Julia K Walton from FireHorseVintageHQ said 4 years ago

Good luck to all those who sign up for the programme - never stop learning and improving! :o)

• SusannahBanane Admin

Susannah B from SusannahBananeShop said 4 years ago

@Trish - there isn't a rule on Etsy prohibiting you selling vintage and handmade in the same shop. Do think about who will be buying each type of item though. If your ideal customer for each kind of item is very different, it may be better to set up a separate shop and brand for each one. Good luck with your new shop! :)

• girlindustries

Katy from girlindustries said 4 years ago

Good luck to all new sellers, I've been here nearly 8 years and never looked back. It's a wonderful community and the advice you get from Etsy admin and fellow sellers is second to none. But I have to say yikes to number one on the list! I've had people say that about my work at craft fairs a number of times, and even admitting to copying and making their own versions, and it's disheartening and rude when my original ideas are pinched. Originality is best!

• laremi

Mirela Lace Wedding from Laremi said 4 years ago

I had a wonderful idea when I opened my Etsy shop. I learned so much from this experience!

• HomebyT

Tracy Home by T from HomebyT said 4 years ago

Go for it! It may take a little time to start getting noticed, but when you do it's amazing to see people admiring things that you've made and love.

• InteriorDesignPlace

MJ GM from InteriorDesignPlace said 4 years ago

Great to see such so much excitement.

• pentacleherbstore

Pentacle Herbstore from Pentacleherbstore said 4 years ago

I have been wanting to open my e shop for literally years! Never felt that I had the right platform until I found Etsy...just an everyday website page did not have the coverage and was quickly lost in the googleshpere. I didnt want to invest in the raw materials if I only sold a handful a year now did I? After just 8 weeks I have several customers and am selling worldwide already, expanding our product list every day, Etsy is so encouraging and supportive with all the media and easy to use tools. Love it! Who'd a thought it, little ol'e me? If I can do it....so can you

• Nargesss

Narges from DaydreamDiaries said 4 years ago

Is this challenge only on Facebook? Can't I subscribe by email?

• ChunkAtATime

Fernando Eizaguirre from EizaArt said 4 years ago

These are all soo true!

• Dorinavdbrandeler

Dorina van den Brandeler from DoriKri said 4 years ago

What a great idea!!! can I subscribe by e-mail to the challenge?!! THANK YOU!

• MyVaky

MyVaky from MyVaky said 4 years ago

Great idea!

• appledaisiesLilPips

Jo Cooper from appledaisiesOnEtsy said 4 years ago

I'd love to subscribe to the challenge but I don't do Facebook! Is there any other way...Twitter, Instagram, email??

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 4 years ago

@Susannah B, @Trish - exactly, i offer both, vintage and handmade fashion garments in my shop. it's a blend of dark and bohemian, and i like to call it "dark boho" :) that's what defines me, i guess, and often that's exactly what defines my customers :)

• organicbonnybaby

ORGANİC BONNY BABY from ORGANICBONNYBABY said 4 years ago

Great Ideas.

• carolerussell

Carole Russell from AwfyBrawJewellery said 4 years ago

I have found that Etsy is working bettter for me than my own website so I have not renewed my website this year. I love the networking and everyone is so helpful. I have learned so much since joining and it's exciting when the ch..ching goes on my phone and another sale comes through! Shipping worldwide is very exciting. I would recommend Etsy to anyone starting out.

• leliavalois

Lelia Valois from ValoisFelts said 4 years ago

Ah, what a shame I missed out on the code for free listings. Only opened five days ago as well. Nevermind.

• lovely333

shirley coachman from SCfashioncreations said 4 years ago

Is this for UK only!

• gerimaus

gerimaus from gerimaus said 4 years ago

Wondering if we can rename our shop ?

• Sarah Sandiford said 4 years ago

Hey there! Please click here to see our online guide on how to change your Etsy shop name :)

• mahakhatib

Maha Khatib from KhatibArt said 4 years ago

Very good idea and to late for me to participate.

• Sarah Sandiford said 4 years ago

It's never too late to join the Etsy family, you can start your shop anytime :)

• beckyappleton1

Becky Appleton from HandmadebyBexandSam said 4 years ago

I finally set up my shop with my Mum after we wanted to for years, feels great but no sales as yet! We're definitely aiming at the Christmas gifts market too, how early do you think people start buying gifts?

• setojing

Jing from JingsCreations said 2 years ago

When I just set up my Etsy online shop in 2013, I did not know which direction I should go, I just simply like this platform, shall I treated it as my hobby? Or as a job? I remember the first year, sometimes a couple months I had no business at all , I almost forgot and gave up my shop at that moment. One day, a team leader of a Etsy team which I joined ,emailed me and asked me Why did not see my participation in the activities of the team, after that I turned my attention back to my shop, now my shop has been opened for three years, I am very grateful to those people who once gave me their support, and my shop is getting better and better ........