Exhibit with Etsy at London Design Festival

Mar 13, 2015

by Sarah Hewett

Four Corners of Craft is a maker development and exhibition project supported by arts and craft organisations in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. It will culminate in an exhibition of contemporary craft, in partnership with Tent London and the London Design Festival on 24-27th September 2015.

With a national reach, our prestigious lead partners include: Crafts Council, Contemporary Applied Arts, The Design Trust, Craft Scotland, Creative Scotland, Craft NI, Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Helfa Gelf. What a line up! We’re also grateful for support from: Arts Council of Wales, Ruthin Craft Centre, The Makers’ Guild in Wales and many more incredible creative organisations around the UK.

‘Bringing together high-end craft from all UK regions is at the heart of what we do at CAA. Therefore we are delighted to partner with Etsy on The Four Corners of Craft.’ – Christiane Eck, Contemporary Applied Arts

Uniting national and regional arts/craft organisations, we’re launching an open call for designer-makers. We’re seeking craft of all disciplines to create our exhibition, from both emerging and established makers, representing the four corners of the United Kingdom… what ties it together is the quality of making.

Project partner, Fiona Logue, Director of Craft Scotland says ‘Etsy is a supportive and accessible route to market and their work assists our makers in developing their businesses.’ Indeed we are! In addition to the exhibition opportunity, the selected exhibitors will benefit from accessible professional development training from the wonderful The Design Trust and signposting to local support services.

Read more about the event here and find application instructions below

Hengifoss Dish

Julia Smith

Calling all designer makers!

We’re seeking makers of affordable, high quality contemporary craft. Do you fit the bill?

What’s on offer?

Selling opportunity: Selected pieces will be included in the exhibition at Tent London during London Design Festival. Etsy will curate and manage the exhibition.
Promotional opportunity: Etsy will lead a marketing campaign to promote the exhibition (and associated makers), supported by the partner organisations involved.
Professional development: Accessible training from the wonderful The Design Trust and signposting to local support services in the lead up to the exhibition.

To be eligible, you must:

• Have an active Etsy shop (haven’t opened your shop yet? Don’t worry! You can get 20 FREE listings when you open your shop for this opportunity. See details below…)
• Design and make craft products in one of the following categories: Basketry, Ceramics, Fashion & Accessories, Furniture, Glass, Interior Products, Jewellery, Paper & Book Art, Printmaking, Silversmithing & Metalwork, Textiles, Woodwork.
• Be based in the United Kingdom (in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales).
• Be over 18 years of age
• Be able to provide selected pieces for exhibition w/c 14 September (seller responsible for delivery to London) and organise return delivery after the show (w/c 28 Sept).
• Complete the application form by midnight on Tuesday 7 April 2015 (see below).

Please note –
• There is no participation fee for this opportunity. Etsy cannot contribute to logistical costs (delivery of work, travel, etc).
• Exhibiting sellers are not required to attend the exhibition in person. Etsy will manage curation (set up and take down) and ‘man’ the exhibition.
• Exhibitors are responsible for arranging delivery and collection of work to/from the exhibition and for dispatching sold work to buyers after the event (Etsy will process sales but work will not be taken by buyers during the show).

Please click here for Welsh translation.

If you’re not eligible this time, never fear! We have many more showcasing opportunities coming up this year, so watch out for open calls via the Etsy UK blog and sign up for the Etsy Success newsletter.

Will people be able to buy my work at Four Corners of Craft?

Yes, this is a selling exhibition. Exhibiting sellers are not required to attend the exhibition in person (although we hope you’ll pop in!). We will sell your work on your behalf, processed via your Etsy shop (the usual 3.5% commission applies).

Deadline for applications

Applications must be received by midnight on Tuesday 7 April 2015.

I don’t have an Etsy shop yet. Can I still apply?

If you’re eligible for this opportunity and don’t currently sell on Etsy, you can open a shop in order to apply. Get started with 20 free listings! Enter the code: FOURCORNERS here (new sellers only).

When will I know if I have been selected?

The exhibitors will be selected by Etsy and expert panels representing arts and craft organisations around the UK – England: Jimmy MacDonald, Director of Tent London, Katia Stewart from the Crafts Council and Christiane Eck from CAA. Scotland: Fiona Logue and Julia Ossenbruegge from Craft Scotland and Andrew Leitch from Creative Scotland. Northern Ireland: Rebecca Mairs from Craft NI and Suzanne Lyle from Arts Council of Northern Ireland. Wales: Sabine Cockrill from Helfa Gelf, Louise Wright from Arts Council of Wales and Philip Hughes from Ruthin Craft Centre.

We regret that we will not be able to inform all applicants of our decision, but the successful makers will be notified within one month of the application deadline. Once you have applied we may ask you questions about your work via convo, so please keep an eye out for us.

How to apply

Complete this short form to apply

We will be selecting based on your Etsy shop itself, so make sure everything is up to date and your shop is looking great. Your photography, listing descriptions and About page are particularly important. Check out the Seller Handbook and search our educational articles to help you improve your shop.

Applications close at midnight on Tuesday 7 April.

Will you be getting involved in Four Corners of Craft? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @EtsyUK!

partner logos_four corners_575px

• QuiltedBlissByNadine

QuiltedBlissByNadine from QuiltedBlissByNadine said 4 years ago

I just tried to fill in the form and received a message saying I need permission and I need to be a member of the 'organisation'. Can someone please clarify how we can access the application form?

• SarahHewettUK Admin

Sarah Hewett from SarahHewettUK said 4 years ago

Hi there! Thanks for pointing that out. Apologies, the technical glitch is now fixed so please go ahead and submit the form. Good luck with your application! :)

• bonbonco

Mandy Gagnerie from BONBONCO said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah, Please please confirm that Bonbonco can exhibit and demonstrate it's Customisable Chocolate Tree Kits in the 'Interior Products' category at the London Design Festival? By then our new product 'Totally Edible Erupting Volcano' may have been launched too. Both are World Firsts and attracting attention. Kind regards Mandy

• SarahHewettUK Admin

Sarah Hewett from SarahHewettUK said 4 years ago

Hi Mandy! Thanks for your interest in our exhibition. Although your products sound really exciting, I’m afraid food is not an eligible category for this opportunity. Please keep your eye out for future opportunities that might be better suited to your products - we will always share via the Etsy UK blog, social media channels and Etsy Success newsletter, which you can subscribe to here: https://www.etsy.com/emails/success . All best wishes, Sarah

• DezineKonnections

Tola Laseinde from DetolaAndGeek said 4 years ago

I will definitely be applying for this Kind regards Tola

• KittyApril

Katya Cherepkova from KittyAprilHandmade said 4 years ago

Wow ! It`s so great! I would love to apply but I`m from Russia not from the UK. That`s a bit disappointing...

• DezineKonnections

Tola Laseinde from DetolaAndGeek said 4 years ago

Done Toes & fingers crossed for me Tola x

• paisleypat

Patrick Moriarty from PaisleyPowerShop said 4 years ago

This looks such a good opportunity to have our designs/products viewed by a wide section of the public and buyers in the industry. I've applied. Fingers crossed!

• liveindesign

Jenny Hoole from LiveInDesign said 4 years ago

Really excited about this.....have sent in my application What a great idea to reach new people

• maggiegos

maggiegos from MaggieGosling said 4 years ago

Do the public buy from this exhibition ? How many items would be needed for the show?

• CinnabarAndSienna

Richard Harvey Allsop from CinnabarAndSienna said 4 years ago

Sounds like a really interesting event ;0))

• madebyemilybell

Emily Bell from madebyemilybell said 4 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic idea :) I will be applying very shortly!

• SarahHewettUK Admin

Sarah Hewett from SarahHewettUK said 4 years ago

Hi maggiegos! Thanks for getting in touch. In answer to your question - Will the public buy from this exhibition? - Yes, this is a selling exhibition. Exhibiting sellers are not required to attend the exhibition in person (although we hope they will pop in!). We will sell their work on their behalf, processed via their Etsy shop (the usual 3.5% commission applies). All the best!

• bonbonco

Mandy Gagnerie from BONBONCO said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah and all you wonderful creatives on Etsy. Please would you contact me if you know of an exhibition where I can showcase my unique chocolate and confectionery tree kits? I have a Totally Edible Erupting Volcano coming out in the next few months too and I'm finding it tricky to find events with a category I can fit into... Love and passion, Mandy - Founder - Bonbonco.

• ArtisticSideOfLife

Maya Mladenovic from ArtisticSideOfLife said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah, can artist such as painters, collage artist and etc apply for this?

• turnersofyorkshire

turnersofyorkshire from TurnersOfYorkshire said 4 years ago

I would be really interested in this opportunity, How many pieces would be required and how much notice is given of acceptance. Are there any plans to do this elsewhere in the country ie Yorkshire ( the bit at the other end of the M1) ? Also would there be a size limit for items being displayed ? Nigel Turner Turners of Yorkshire

• liverpoolprints

Matt from DINKIT said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah, Is there a poster/print category? Typography? Thanks, Matt.

• kerrywarren7

Kerry Warren from KerryJayneDesigns said 4 years ago

Sounds exciting! Is this open to crochet pattern designer too? Kerry :-)

• CatDesignz

Catherine Riley from CatDesignz said 4 years ago

What a great opportunity, I'll be applying - good luck to everyone!

• equitimedesigns

Ellen Roy from EquitimeDesigns said 4 years ago

I am just starting out and havent got much to show for it yet. I have been told my work is of a very good standard. Would I still be able to apply? I work with fabrics, making covers for dog trolleys, crates and the general variety of fabric crafts.

• HelenaLeeStudios

Helena Lee from HelenaLeeStudios said 4 years ago

This sounds great! I'm not sure if I can apply under the Paper & Book Art category. I make framed prints and greeting cards based on my on photos- does this count?

• maureenmcquillan

Maureen McQuillan from McQuillansilver said 4 years ago

What an opportunity!! Will be applying.

• MaatSilk

Maisie from MaatSilk said 4 years ago

Hi I have a quick question. I am English and live some of the year in England and the other half in Spain (which is why my shop is listed as based in Spain). I hand painted and design silk scarves. Can I apply?

• hayleymallett

Hayley Mallett from HayleyMallett said 4 years ago

Could you tell me if people from the Channel Islands can enter? And if so, do we select England as our region? Hayley

• bazzzigzag1

Barry from CelticSymbolStudio said 4 years ago

Love the idea ! Sounds right up my street : Barry ::

• galinatitova

Galina Titova from FeltyPretties said 4 years ago

Just wonder... My shop is small but active and the month of selecting process is a long time. What if the item is selected but sold by the time i've got a notification?

• tarcinale

Danila Tarcinale from tarcinale said 4 years ago

amazing. :) can't wait. :) it s a great opportunity. thank you for being you. :)

• ruthwinchester

Ruth Winchester from DoodlePippin said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah, lovely idea, glad to see Etsy isn't all about the USA!

• nerimcginley

NERI MCGINLEY from nerimcginley said 4 years ago

Applied! Big motivation for creating more stuff! Thank you.

• girliemarg

Margaret Dier from MargDierEmbroidery said 4 years ago

sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Thank you Etsy uk .

• KikkaandTikka

Federica Bonato - Hayes from KikkaandTikka said 4 years ago

great opportunity! How many sellers/shops are you planning to choose in total? many thanks

• leahrosedesigns

Nora Hessayon from leahrosedesigns said 4 years ago

Fantastic idea and such a brilliant opportunity . We all need high quality places to show our work.I do hope my items will be eligible. Good luck everybody.

• sjegan

Sarah-Jane Egan from FragmentDesignsEtsy said 4 years ago

Oooh exciting! I think I'll be applying to this. It really feels like Etsy is breaking into the UK in a big way this year! Which is fab :)

• molaxchopa

Molax Chopa Jewels from MolaxChopa said 4 years ago

Whoo hoo, fingers crossed :)

• artylizzie

Lizzie from Lizzielearmanprints said 4 years ago

hello, I've just applied. This is a brilliant opportunity. I wanted to see if there may be a chance to have a printing demonstration. I run adana workshops and etching workshops with two small mobile presses www.pop-upprintmaking.co.uk. I think it would be great to see live action printing techniques along side examples of prints.

• maggiejonesenamels

Maggie Jones from maggiejonesenamels said 4 years ago

What a wonderful opportunity and yes, I will be applying, an opportunity not to be missed, thank you Etsy!

• SewPaperArt

Lynn from SewPaperArt said 4 years ago

What a TERRIFIC opportunity - thanks Etsy!

• victoriaeagle

Victoria from EaglesCrafts said 4 years ago

I've just submitted the my application and noticed too late that I've selected wrong craft discipline - Paper and Book art instead of Jewellery... how can I change it?

• aniaegonu

DottyStripes from DottyStripesUK said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah, could you clarify the eligibility criteria-we are a UK registered business (I live in the UK and we have a company's number provided by the Companies House ) however the products are physically made by my parents in Poland-does that mean we are eligible or not? thanks, Ania

• kaprial1

AK-Wilde from WildeNature said 4 years ago

Great opportunity. Will be submitting my application.

• DamsonTreePottery

Marieanne Cavaciuti from damsontreepottery said 4 years ago

Yep applied! Thanks so much! :D

• jennieshox

Jennie Sharman-Cox from jennieshox said 4 years ago

Great news, Sept. is a long way off, what if we have sold whats in the shop and have new stuff to show by then, how does it work? How many pieces would be shown. Thanks for doing this in the UK.

• southertonart

suzy southerton from SouthertonArt said 4 years ago

good morning to you, i suspect i already know the answer but just wanted to clarify: paper& book art...does this include my medium of oil on canvas art? also, what about limited edition prints as i've recently branched into this? look forward to hearing back from you. suzy southerton.

• feerecreatif

Aurora Lombardo from ALjewellerydesigns said 4 years ago

That's great! Thank you Etsy UK for organising that. I've sent my application in... Fingers crossed! :D

• vjspain1

Vincent Spain from VincentSpain said 4 years ago

Hi Sarah,will there be a similar showcase for artists in the future? The affordable art fair is a great London event showcasing a wide range of artists, however they must be affiliated with a gallery. Etsy could rival this for independents.

• hutchinson31

Peter Hutchinson from YatesandCoLondon said 4 years ago

Thanks for the invite Sarah............. We make luxury menswear ( yatesandcolondon on Etsy ), and I don't think this is for us..... Good luck with your endeavour ! Best Wishes, Peter Hutchinson

• Etsy - Arts Connection - Cyswllt Celf said 4 years ago

[…] https://blog.etsy.com/uk/2015/03/13/four_corners_craft_opportunity/ […]

• oniksworld

Addy Mo from Bespokiet said 4 years ago

i am so excited for this opportunity. pls just a quick question, i just filled the form and I did not get an email confirmation,is that normal?

• timjohnsondesigner

TimDesigns from TimSilverDesigns said 4 years ago

This is a great idea, thank you so much for the opportunity! Good luck everyone :)

• CrystalPearl

CrystalPearl from CrystalPearlJewelry said 4 years ago

Many thanks for the email Sarah. I would have liked to apply for the jewellery section, but my bridal and evening jewellery would probably not be considered contemporary. I am assuming that the chosen shops will probably sell unusual handcrafted metal pieces. Wishing the successful ones the very best of luck!

• priyaamrit

The White Fire from TheWhiteFire said 4 years ago

How exciting!! Good luck everyone :)

• avedouda

Alexandra from avedouda said 4 years ago

Great opportunity!!!! I feel sad that I don't live in the UK.... I can't apply!

• eanjewellery

Elizabeth Anne Norris from eanjewellery said 4 years ago

This looks like an amazing opportunity. How exciting. Good luck to everyone who is applying.

• Glassmonkeyfused

Glassmonkey Fused Glass from glassmonkeyfusedglas said 4 years ago

We are up for it!

• spluck1

Saffie Pluck from PLUCKDDESIGNS said 4 years ago

Just submitted! An amazing opportunity! Fingers crossed!

• LynnBaileyPrintmaker

Lynn Bailey from LynnBaileyPrintmaker said 4 years ago

I know its early days yet - but could you please give a deadline for when people can stop being hopeful and arrange other things in the diary. I accept you might not be able to inform everyone. But you must have a deadline that you will be finalising your decisions by. Go on - giz a clue - it would be so helpful - ta.

• oksanaselivanova

Oksana Thomas from KvinTal said 4 years ago

Hello Sarah, This is really amazing opportunity. I have applied before the 7th of April. I am just wondering I have not received any confirmation email that my application has been submitted. If it is possible at all could you please let me know if you have received my application? Thank you very much. Best regards, Oksana Thomas (KvinTal)

• lunalocojewellery

Luna Loco from LunaLocoJewellery said 3 years ago

Sooooooooo, anyone heard back?

• maggiejonesenamels

Maggie Jones from maggiejonesenamels said 3 years ago

Have the exhibitors been chosen and will there be a list of exhibitors for the rest of us who applied to see (with a view to learning for future opportunities)?

• ilianatosheva

Iliana Tosheva from IlianaTosheva said 3 years ago

A list of exhibitors is a really good idea, Maggie! It's always a good thing to know where you stand your own craft and skills wise...

• namelesswonders

Karen Suzuki from namelesswonders said 3 years ago

I've not heard back yet, has anyone else? There's nothing on the blog yet so I'm assuming - or rather, hoping! - the successful people haven't been notified yet. A list of exhibitors is a good idea, yes :)

• SarahHewettUK Admin

Sarah Hewett from SarahHewettUK said 3 years ago

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your interest in Four Corners of Craft. Due to the extremely high volume of applications received, it has taken us a little longer than anticipated to finalise the selection of designer-makers for this opportunity. Apologies for the delay, but the exhibitor list will be announced on the Etsy UK blog on Friday 22 May. The response has been incredible and I hope you'll join us and the other project partners (the Crafts Council and many other organisations around the country) in congratulating the talented makers we have selected. Thanks again! :)