7 shades of Marsala – the official colour of 2015

Jan 5, 2015

by Natalie Wall

Pantone, AKA the “world-renowned authority on colour”, have declared the Colour Of The Year for 2015.

*Drum roll* Presenting… Marsala. Which sounds like an exotic dish on a take-away menu – or an Italian wine, come to think of it – but is in fact a sort of aubergine-y shade (see above).

Pantone describe it better, as “a naturally robust and earthy wine red” that, according to Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Colour Institute, “enriches our mind, body and soul, exuding confidence and stability.” Riiiiight.

We say: Clothing-wise, it’ll go nicely with navy for winter and a pop of hot pink come summer, and makes for a moody, rich shade to have home wares in.

“Nurturing and fulfilling, Marsala is a natural fit for the kitchen and dining room – making it ideal for tabletop, small appliances and linens throughout the home,” says Leatrice.

On that note, here are 7 shades of Marsala, the official colour of 2015, all available on Etsy now:

What do you make of Marsala as the colour for 2015? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @EtsyUK!

• linekeessed

Lineke Essed from StudioLinus said 4 years ago

Lovely color paired with pale pink or blue and gold. I can work with this :).

• BigRockPaperCo

Melissa Cyrenne from BigRockWeddingFavors said 4 years ago

love love love this color and I can't wait to post some marsala themed favors to my shop!

• svartlilja

Lina from svartlilja said 4 years ago

I still wonder how do they decide what colour it would be and why... definitely not my colour and makes me think about the autumn only... hope next year we will have smth bright and cheerful!

• LifeCovers

Sally Lucas from LifeCovers said 4 years ago

Lovely rich colour, I think I have some Harris Tweed ordered in a lovely wine shade.

• fairyclairy6

Claire White from OnTrendFabrics said 4 years ago

I love it, just my colour. great for a variety of skin tones and hair colours! Well chosen Pantone.

• mytreasury

Mia Blaz from MiaBlazdesign said 4 years ago

love it!

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 4 years ago

Awesome colour!

• Amberlilly7

Lindsay Lines from AmberlillysHandmade said 4 years ago

Rich and Rustic. Nice :)

• SilverGreystorm

Linda from Loft23 said 4 years ago

Great color choice! That merino wool is especially stunning, and I fancy that leather bag too. Just lovely!

• guidouxvintage

Guidoux Vintage from GuidouxVintage said 4 years ago

It's like pomegranate color, pretty.

• camillabindi

camilla bindi from ArtistaToscano said 4 years ago

I am shocked by the statements of this article! "Marsala" It 'a noble Sicilian fortified wine of ancient origins. Sweet and strong, generous and strong-willed, as his amber red, reminiscent of his ancestors: the Sun and the Earth. It 'a wine of my country, I am proud of, not an exotic dish !!!

• Natalie Wall said 4 years ago

Of course, no offence intended; I was merely being witty - which may have been lost in translation over here on the UK blog - as the similar-sounding (chicken tikka) masala has become a national dish! You are quite right to be proud of your country, as we are proud of our British sense of humour! ;)

• h2oonstone

Ann Richardson and Mary Lou Richardson from h2oonstone said 4 years ago

Love this color! At Water on Stone we offer an owl pillow in this shade and 2 others:)

• Pininkie

Tanya Stovold from Pininkie said 4 years ago

Beautiful!

• madeincrawley

Jamie Fisher from madeincrawley said 4 years ago

I love the shades of Marsala, so rich and lovely.

• kimmoo1

kim carmichael from OkieFolky said 4 years ago

Excellent :) I have many items In Marsala In My shop, I Must Be Rubbing Off ;)

• WhimsicalHookCrochet

HeirOfWhimsy Boutique from HeirOfWhimsyBoutique said 4 years ago

This is one of my favorite colours to wear!! Yay!!!!

• bearlyart

Niza from NizaHandbags said 4 years ago

Not a huge fan or thinking I should dash out and buy Marsala color paint, but I do like it with the gray and white on the pillows.

• ndiehsdesigns

Linda N. Williams from NdiehsDesigns said 4 years ago

It is a rich colour, but I'm not too sure about it in the summer. However, a mix with hot pink might make it more interesting and fun for bright summer days. I'll work with it though!

• b00b00b00

Anne Coogan from Lightflightlighting said 4 years ago

Gorgeous colour!!! I love those deep shades of red.

• mzbellz

Mary Alice from mzbellz said 4 years ago

Love the color. Can't wait to make a few items with that color.

• gracedmoments

Sue Taylor-Davidson from gracedmoments said 4 years ago

I think the pic of the yarn shows the depth of the colour really well...and yes, moody is a good way to describe it...still water is run deep!

• angelaelizabethh

Angela Elizabeth from aelizza said 4 years ago

This colour is stunning!! Looks great on everyone, in it's darker tones especially very slimming and complimentary to all skin tones! Love it. I am certainly going to make some new deep and rustic designs using it!

• angelaelizabethh

Angela Elizabeth from aelizza said 4 years ago

Stunning! So complimentary to all skin tones as well! Certainly will use in some new rustic designs!

• mistdesigntees

Mist Designs from MistDesignTees said 4 years ago

Yuss! LOVE IT! Going to look fab with gold. I can just see it in nail colour and matching lipstick, cozy scarves and leather boots <3

• LisaStewartHandbags

Lisa Stewart from LisaStewartLeather said 4 years ago

I love the color of Marsala. I've created several pieces that feature this color in leather. I've also crafted a mood board for customers. https://www.etsy.com/listing/217649372/leather-tote-black-and-plum-tasmanian

• LisaStewartHandbags

Lisa Stewart from LisaStewartLeather said 4 years ago

I love the color of Marsala! I've created a number of leather pieces that feature this color and crafted a mood board for customers. https://www.etsy.com/listing/217649372/leather-tote-black-and-plum-tasmanian

• Taylorsworld85

Taylor from TaylorsworldHandmade said 4 years ago

Shade of the year! https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/217148936/mini-liberty-valentine-hearts

• brentknits

Rajka from brentknits said 4 years ago

Loove Marsala colour ( and wine ) ..and Marsala hat is coming in my shop :)

• jmilicic7

Jela from JelaDesign said 4 years ago

It's like color, nice.

• JudesDesigns

Jude from JudesDesigns said 4 years ago

This is silly, why just one? It's a nice colour for those who like autumnal colours but there are so many other colours and palettes to embrace.

• Kankou

Mariam-Kankou from Kankou said 4 years ago

Love this color! Warm with an ethnic feel.

• hippyfairy

Amber Lane from HippyFairy said 4 years ago

One of my favourite colours, then I just love colour.

• DesignedByKarolina

Karolina from PaperFlowerWedding said 4 years ago

Fab colour I do paper flowers in this colour for a wedding just now.

• toastedglass

Monique Low from ToastedGlass said 4 years ago

I love it and I've been trying to find stuff to wear in that shade, but despite the Pantone seal of approval, I'm not finding as much as I'd like to choose from...

• saraheccleswasriley

Sarah Eccles from FlumpyButtons said 4 years ago

Love this colour, it was one colour that seemed to be selling well at the end of last year. Warm, rich & elegant tone, lovely.

• LisaStewartHandbags

Lisa Stewart from LisaStewartLeather said 4 years ago

I'm loving the color Marsala. I've just created a mood board that accompanies my new Marsala leather collection here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/217649372/leather-tote-black-and-plum-tasmanian

• shirl13

Shirley Sass from SASSISOCKS said 4 years ago

Fab, must find some yarn to match!

• wildbb

Sam from WildBB said 4 years ago

Earthy, mute tones are beautiful!

• ElizabethanRuby62

Tina Pocock from ElizabethanRuby said 4 years ago

Love it - got a whole hide in drawer this colour so maybe now's the time to do something with it. Warm colour to team with greys, smokey lilac and rich cream - beautiful.

• WildRoseAndSparrow

Liana from WildRoseAndSparrow said 4 years ago

I already carry in my shop this color , in my kimono and scarves section. It just happens to be my favourite color so , this year I am right on track. My Marsala kimono is just being featured right now in ETSY;s newsletter! SO excited!!!!

• VanillaJoan

Fenella Watts from PlumJudyHandmade said 4 years ago

Beautiful colour but I think that whoever wrote this article is getting Marsala (Sicilian fortified wine) mixed up with Masala (a South Asian spice mix - chai masala, chicken tikka masala etc). I'm not as shocked by this mistake as Camilla Bindi (above) but just wanted to add my two penneth! Happy New Year all xx

• Natalie Wall said 4 years ago

Ha! I was trying to be witty - as most people are unfamiliar with Marsala, perhaps having only seen it on the wine rack in their local supermarket, and indeed, may think we are referring to chicken masala, which is hugely popular here in the UK. So I was just being punny... oh well...

• taffertydesigns

Tafferty Designs from taffertydesigns said 4 years ago

I love this colour. It exudes warmth and comfort.

• GreenSheepFibres

Gail Sweeny from GreenSheepFibres said 4 years ago

I have a beautiful shawlette of that colour in my shop. I love to work with that colour and am glad to see it getting the recognition it deserves!! :-) https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/208163503/cashmere-shawlettescarf?

• moosecatdesign

moosecat design from moosecatdesign said 4 years ago

A favourite shade, love this colour.

• ritugarg19

Ritz from Designsbyritz said 4 years ago

I love this color! Such beautiful yet bold statement it makes! I am looking to design with this color !

• knuckletoes

Katie Whiting from knuckletoes said 4 years ago

I love this colour so much, it's a big staple in my wardrobe. Although I can't say I've ever referred to it as "marsala" before :D

• thriftgeneration1

Thrift Generation from Thrift1Generation said 4 years ago

Warm, earthy, strong yet a soft and subtle tone. Yes we like this colour and it's options for lightening it's rich and deep tones. We have some items that rock with this colour, such as..... Currently our gold and cream pedal pushers, and divine faux fur stole with Marsala tones. Hot pink, metallic and sand colours will bring out the best in this tone... We have some gorgeous gun metal grey tones and sand colours within our collection, and plenty to come to pair in a variety of ways with this colour..... Be adventurous! Xx

• MindfulProductivity

Be from MindfulProductivity said 4 years ago

fabulous colour ... I'm working on some new card designs with it at the mo! love it :)

• missanniesparkles

Annie Sparkles from missanniesparkles said 4 years ago

I tend not to follow colour fads. At least Marsala (burgundy) is better than the sickly mint green that has been everywhere and please no more Radiant Orchid. Pantone has a lot to answer for!

• handmadebyPaulaMary

Paula Mary from HandmadebyPaulaMary said 4 years ago

Accessories in my lounge are this colour. Currently knitting a random dyed wrap in these shades - must get it finished! :)

• PreciousNewbornKnits

Jacqueline Harrison from PreciousNewbornKnits said 4 years ago

Beautiful colour :-)

• caboodle321

Lorraine Burt from WholeCaboodleDesign said 4 years ago

My all time favourite colour! never called it Marsala before though :-)

• xcloosivejoolsworks

Janine from XcloosiveJools said 4 years ago

Beautiful colour - I will be making some nice jewellery prices this month with this in mind :-)

• GingerSnapsMT

GingerSnapsMT from GingerSnapsMT said 4 years ago

I love these colors;they feel so warm and cozy. Comfortable!

• graphiclabina

Labina from labinastudio said 4 years ago

OMG, I do love those photos and colors!! how adorable!!

• zetaemme

Zsuzsanna from zetaemme said 4 years ago

Love this colour! So pretty combined with gold!

• MadeBelle

MadeBelle from madebelle said 4 years ago

Lovely colour, never heard of the name before. The feather notebook stood out for me, although its not purely Marsala coloured, maybe I thought it looked really great with the browns and yellows.

• YOURDAILYJEWELS

norah downey from YourDailyJewels said 4 years ago

who knew?

• prettymucho

Mariam Elliott from WindMoonSea said 4 years ago

Yummy :)

• LizzieCollcutt
  • thefroufrouemporium

Claire MacDonald from SundarAndFrouFrou said 4 years ago

this is the main colour of the year but they do actually have a spring collection of colours; including custard and aquamarine to name just two. i'm sure there will be a collection for each season, marsala is the main colour tying the collections together i think...

• Louiseinlingo

Alice Jordan said 4 years ago

Fab colour all year different shades of Mars ala can accent every season almost could be used as a neutral

• drewnianasciana

Magdalena Kadzikiewicz from WallWooden said 4 years ago

Love this colour. I have to make some mosaic with it! :)

• paisleypat

Patrick Moriarty from PaisleyPowerShop said 4 years ago

i'm hoping to print some of my textile designs in this colour when i mix the ink pigments properly.

• bagsofclaudia