Deck the halls: 15 of the best Christmas decorations

Nov 25, 2014

by Becky Jones

So we’ve all got our advent calendars, right? And we’ve all started our Christmas shopping, yes? So, now it’s time to think about decking out your pad for Christmas.

We’ve rounded up top tree decorations, haute home decor and the snazziest stockings around to help make your house feel full of that festive cheer.

Tree decs

We always find that the best way to get into the festive spirit is to get out those old DIY skills and make your own decoration. And this one is seriously cute.

The best decorations are the ones that you look forward to getting out year after year. Start a family heirloom with these personalised beauties.

We’re BIG fans of anything handmade, and these are the cream of the crop.

There’s only one word for these pompom mitten baubles. ADORABLE.

If you’re a total dab-hand at baking, you could make your own gingerbread men decorations. Or, if baking heralds all manner of disaster, these felt ones work just as well.

Looking for something a little different? Skandi reds and white just not going to cut it this year? Take the plunge and decorate in neon instead.

Decor

Why not try some alternatives to traditional Christmas lights this year? Handy if your flat is short on plug sockets…

Switch out your normal artwork for some Christmas inspired prints to make the whole house feel festive.

Pom pom garlands are a more modern way of decorating, yet the Christmassy colours of this one still exude festive cheer.

Throw a couple of Christmas cushions of your sofa to update your interiors in an instant.

This delicate garland would look utterly lovely strung up over a fireplace. Just handle with care…

This wooden wreath is a different take on the normal foliage-full types. The ugly sweater theme is just a bonus.

Stockings

This Scandinavian retro-inspired stocking would double as a toy after the kids have finished fishing out the presents.

Personalised = a winner. You can keep this stocking for years to come.

Fancy spoiling some-one this year? Throw out the old stocking and get a SACK of presents instead.

How will you decorate your home this year? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or tweet us @EtsyUK! Here are some more Christmas ideas to get ahead this season:

1. Etsy UK’s Christmas gift guide 2014: what to buy the men
2. Our pick of the best alternative advent calendars
3. Shop Etsy sellers in person at our pop-up, Etsy House
4. Get your Christmas jumper sorted before December!

• julietmatthews

Juliet Matthews from FabulousLittleGifts said 4 years ago

Those un-plugged Christmas lights that work without electric - beautiful and fun! I am busy making notebooks for a Christmas Fair [Fri Nov 29th-30th @ Made in Chalford at Victoria Works Studios, nr Stroud Gloucestershire, UK] so will be home decorating mode after this weekend when I will certainly check out Etsy for inspiration and have my eye on Hitonari Works FIKA Snow Village - check it out in their Esty shop.

• abenakcreation

Virpi Irene Bendandi from ABenakCreation said 4 years ago

Just love each and everyone of the items listed! Beautifully handmade decor is definitely tops! My favorites are the different felt ornaments -- the DIY is really a nice idea as well as very beautiful, and the porcelain ones. I love the clean style of glossy white chine with gold. Personalized, reusable, stockings and gift bags are very nice idea as well.

• WildRoseAndSparrow

Liana from WildRoseAndSparrow said 4 years ago

Today we're going to get the most central aspect of our Christmas decorating: the Christmas tree. Nothing beats sipping hot chocolate as the snow gently falls outside and the smell of spruce in the air for getting your holiday cheer started! The place where we get our Christmas trees plants 2 trees for every Christmas tree sold, so Christmas traditions can be more environmentally friendly. :) Every year, I purchase two very special and unique christmas ornaments for my two daughters, adding to an heirloom collection for them. I think that Etsy is a great place to start my search for this year's ornaments!

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 4 years ago

sweet selection

• kalicat

Catherine from kalicat said 4 years ago

Some very nice ideas, thanks for sharing !

• Taylorsworld85

Taylor from TaylorsworldHandmade said 4 years ago

Some great decorations! I have been making some Liberty fabric star decorations which would work well as Christmas decorations. Check them out here: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TaylorsworldHandmade

• heartsandhooplas

Kimberly Pritchard from HeartsandHooplas said 4 years ago

I'm a new business called 'Hearts and Hooplas' that specialises in wooden embroidery hoopla art work, wooden decoupage decorations, wooden bunting, cross stitch and gift tags. I would be really grateful for some new likes and followers. If your kind enough to like and share my page I will like and share back - I have some lovely Christmas gift tags and decorations for sale

• ALittleWearAndTear

Natalie Simpson from ALittleWearAndTear said 4 years ago

Such a lovely collection, can't wait to start decorating!

• muru777

muru777 from MURUCeramics said 4 years ago

I love all the Christmas decorations listed above on here each and everyone gives me inspiration to make my own! As much as I love my own designs I'm also fascinated by other peoples ideas designs and artist techniques,all these items are true inspiration to everybody that works so hard to make and sell them

• guidouxvintage

Guidoux Vintage from GuidouxVintage said 4 years ago

Very beautiful makes here! I would have been happier to see vintage Christmas ornaments too, we can find unique collections on Etsy and it's a great way to recycle as well !

• printsofheart

Lisa from PrintsOfHeart said 4 years ago

These are absolutely fantastic! I wish I'd been more organised this year.

• svartlilja

Lina from svartlilja said 4 years ago

some good finds for the parents as when you have a little one at home the Christmas tree should be safe! :)

• Tanglewood761

Carole from Tanglewood761 said 4 years ago

Some wonderful makes, cant wait to try a few.... thanks merry christmas

• creativeme08

Sue from SuesCraftsUK2013 said 4 years ago

Good ideas - Merry Christmas

• barbara607

barbara607 said 4 years ago

So much nicer than mass produced, these are unique