Advent calendars: 10 alternative ways to count down

Nov 21, 2014

by Becky Jones

Christmas is nearly here (eeek) so it’s time to start the count down by getting yourself an advent calendar. If you’re SO over the traditional daily dose of meagre chocolate and are after something a tad more special, then Etsy’s got it sorted.

Here’s our pick of the best stitched beauties, alternative treats and wooden treasures for you to countdown to Christmas and keep year after year.

Only 33 sleeps to go, guys! (Sorry.)

Paper pop-ups

Woken up on 30th November and realised that you haven’t got your advent sorted? NEVER FEAR. This one is downloadable. You’re welcome.

This one is also downloadable, plus it doubles as a cosy festive decoration. Pop an electric tealight underneath it for an instant fuzzy glow.

Box up little daily treats with this typographic-style calendar.

Alternative treats

Who wouldn’t want to combine a daily tea-fix with a Christmas countdown? AmIright?

Perfect for the insta-obsessed people of the world.

Wooden wonders

Simple yet effective. Count down the sleeps via Rudolph’s shining red honker.

These aren’t technically an advent calendar BUT you can get numbers engraved on each house. So, by the time December 25th rolls around, you’ll have a whole twinkly village to admire.

Stitched beauties

Fill these beauties with any treasure that takes your fancy, and use them again, and again, and again.

We suspect that you lot are as bunting mad as we are, so how can you NOT love this?!

Personalised advent calendar to make December even MORE special.

How’re you going to start the Christmas countdown? Don’t forget to come see us at Etsy House to start your Christmas shopping, 5 – 7 December. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or tweet us @EtsyUK!

• wickedcoat

Caroline O from WickedEthel said 4 years ago

Always had an Advent calender as a child, and for my children too. Love all these Advents. It's wonderful to get the children excited and also as a teaching tool when you can ask them each day, what is one thing you can do for another child/family to make the holiday season better for them? Keep the tradition!

• cb80085

Clara Belle from ClarasHandMade said 4 years ago

I love advents and always have chocolate in mine and I have seen many Christmas days! I also sell them :-)

• LaurieGee

Laurie Azure Gee from laurieazuregee said 4 years ago

I absolutely love these! I think they are all fantastic!! I reckon one of my scarves would make a lovely treat for a count down day surprise!!! <3

• WildRoseAndSparrow

Liana from WildRoseAndSparrow said 4 years ago

So many beautiful options ! Great ideas! I tried with my family so many different types of advent calendars: small parts of puzzles that will be complete at X-mas, parts of expensive necklaces to be put together and cherished to be found every night till x-mas, small presents that would fit in decorated match boxes, parts of riddles to be found in order to lead to the presents.....Happy holidays!

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 4 years ago

sweet and very creative works!

• wjfraise

Wanda and Kyla Fraser from LaraBellaJewelry said 4 years ago

Love the Christmas Advent Calendars! Our family has always had one in some form in the house. A Christmas countdown never fails to brings an element of excitement to the festive season!

• abenakcreation

Virpi Irene Bendandi from ABenakCreation said 4 years ago

I love these natural, eco-friendly reusable calendars. The tea calendar is a nice idea for us bigger Christmas enthusiasts!

• caboodle321

Lorraine Burt from WholeCaboodleDesign said 4 years ago

Love the Advent Calendars, nice to see unusual ones - I sell a vintage style one with copies of original vintage Christmas postcards bought on Etsy!

• LittleBrownDogWorksh

Susan from LittleBrownDogUK said 4 years ago

What a great selection!

• DoodlebugCrayons84

Leanne Martindale from LeannesDoodlebug said 4 years ago

I love advents and make a crayon advent, 24 individually wrapped crayons :)

• laLunaCreazioni