Winter fashion trends 2014: Decide your decade

Sep 16, 2014

by Natalie Wall

You might feel like you’ve seen the fashion trends for winter 2014 somewhere before, and that’s because, well, you have. Fashion designers stepped back in time for their autumn/winter collections, and it seems (pretty much) any decade goes, from 1960 through to 1990, and hellz; even 1890!

And here at Etsy, we’ve of course got you covered (literally), with a whole host of vintage sellers based right here in the UK. Check out these timely trends below, complete with vintage finds that are the real deal…

Victorian vixen

As seen at: Erdem, Pucci, Vera Wang
Take inspiration from: Lordes, Kate Bush and Edward Scissorhands

Delight in your dark side this season with gothic frocks, jet beaded chokers, loads of lace appliqué and Dickensian detailing. Team a lace slip with biker boots and a dark lip for thoroughly modern Victoriana.

60s swing

As seen at: Matthew Williamson, Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton and Alexander McQueen
Take inspiration from: Twiggy, Suki Waterhouse, 60s Cilla Black and Tavi Gevinson

Think 60s with a modern spin – retro shift dresses, pointy flats, princess coats and PVC rain macs in sugary sweet shades. Glittery go-go boots are the ‘go-to’ for the fashion brave and A-line shapes are EVERYTHING this autumn.

70s siren

As seen at: Matthew Williamson, Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton and Alexander McQueen
Take inspiration from: Jerry Hall, Amy Adams (in American Hustle),

Perfect your party look this season by channelling Studio 54 (in its heyday). Get your glam on in satins, metallics, faux fur and a shed-load of sequins. Necklines go low, and don’t forget to switch your skinny trouser silhouette for a pair of flares.

90s normcore

As seen at: Jason Wu, Hermes, Lacoste and Christopher Kane.
Take inspiration from: 90s Kate Moss, Steve Jobs, Phoebe Philo

With clean lines and muted colours, this trend is all about nodding to the 90s in a ‘perfectly boring’ way. Team a tailored trouser suit with trainers or pair pale ‘mom’ jeans with a polo neck for a stylishly safe look.

So. Which decade will you be dialling up for winter? Share details below or tweet us@EtsyUK!

More vintage fashion fun-times

New season fashion showcased in scenes from classic films
Bestival 2014: 10 fancy dress ideas for Desert Island Disco
Vintage Enthusiast, Elsa Billgren Shares Her Etsy Picks

• PiccadillySunshine

Piccadilly Sunshine from PiccadillySunshine said 5 years ago

1960s all the way, every day :-)

• guidouxvintage

Guidoux Vintage from GuidouxVintage said 5 years ago

Cool finds! Personally I love the 60's, but I find the Victorian style very elegant and feminine too.

• TataniaRosa

Heather Buckman from TataniaRosa said 5 years ago

What a coincidence, I'm listening to Kate Bush right now. These are great finds! For me it has to be the Victorian look. It's so elegant.

• wickedcoat

Caroline O from WickedEthel said 5 years ago

Love the 60's look. Great finds!

• yunis114

Yunis Majeed Lone from HabibMastan said 5 years ago

Great! A little suggestion if you dont mind What about some old decade sweaters/pullovers or cardigans? I think that would be a nice thing to have..

• izzyattwood

cats-on-acid from DIEREALClothingTM said 5 years ago

90's normcore might be a safe one but i think it could be mixed with the black/white pale minimalistic trend that is going on at the moment

• oilpaintingchrista

Christa M. Christa from OilpaintingsChrista said 5 years ago

Great finds! :-)

• ChronicallyVintage

Jessica Cangiano from ChronicallyVintage said 5 years ago

Great post! I madly love and wear mid-century 40s and 50s vintage fashions all the time, but I've always had a passion for Victorian styles, too, so I may reach for a few more pieces influenced by that era as the mercury continues to drop.

• CooperCollectibles

Terry T from CooperCollectibles said 5 years ago

I'm Liking It .... great finds... i love the shiny, high waist i can do with out that :))

• Vintageaholiccom

Vintageaholiccom from Vintageaholiccom said 5 years ago

Great news - fashion of the future is a mix of new and old and new again. A fab post! Keep 'em coming.

• 20ethCenturyGirl

Danielle from 20ethCenturyGirl said 5 years ago

The bright brave patterns of the 60's for me, lots of colourful fun!

• iFiglideiFiori

iFiglideiFiori from iFiglideiFiori said 5 years ago

70s above all! : ))

• iFiglideiFiori

iFiglideiFiori from iFiglideiFiori said 5 years ago

Lola likes the 70s :))

• retromagpie

Maggie P from magpieretro said 5 years ago

Victorian Vixen va va voom !!

• kateharvey3

Kate Harvey from GracieFloJewellery said 5 years ago

Im definately a seventies girl! X

• susannaschwertner

Susanna Schwertner from Regathered said 5 years ago

Great post, very encouraging, thanks:)

• WildRoseAndSparrow

Liana from WildRoseAndSparrow said 5 years ago

Victorian vixen, definitely! I love those elegant, gothic details, and I think that the style would look amazing with a modern twist! I keep stumbling over the UK version of the Etsy blog (I'm in Canada), and I just thought I'd say that I find it really good. Very engaging and helpful to sellers! Awesome,inspiring articles. I look forward to reading more from across the pond! ;)

• chicvintageboutique

Sue from chicvintageboutique said 5 years ago

Love all of these , but particularly the Victorian era. Thanks for showcasing my Victorian necklace. xx

• doughblaster

doughblaster said 5 years ago

Victorian Vixen, very Romantic. Mom Jeans? Um....no.

• Minkymoojewellery

Amanda Botwood from MinkymooJewellery said 5 years ago

A 60's girl at heart!

• CajaCreations

Carin Jacobsson from CajaCreations said 5 years ago

I think I am leaning to the Victorian vixen.

• tracy7259

TRACY KENNEDY from VintageRhythm said 5 years ago

Born in the seventies - but my preference is the 40s and 50s. Great post

• cagreen97

Cheryl Anne Green from JoshanneJewelry said 5 years ago

Love the Gothic Victorian, very sexy with black and red choker, but also liking very much the 90's normcore. Two total opposites but they are both a very cool look. Thanks for this blog..enjoyed it.

• ThemeBullet

ThemeBullet from PinkMuffinThemes said 5 years ago

Love the 90s Vintage Teal Silk Shirt

• WoodsyWools

ACR from WoodsyWools said 5 years ago

great fashion finds, I like a little bit of each :-)

• mtabscott

Poppy Mae from ohsopoppy said 5 years ago

I'm totally into the '60's mod look (LOVE SHIFTS!) and the 1970's disco vibe. Those were awesome times for fashion and makeup! Glad they're back and I can't wait to bust out my faux fur Marc Jacobs coat circa 1995!

• cathpaperart

Cathy from SeaMeadowDesigns said 5 years ago

Fab finds! - like something of everything :)

• jalyson

Jane Zing Vintage from ZingVintage said 4 years ago

Pleased to see paisley making a comeback. I don't know why, but I've always liked it on scarves, bags...even furniture! The Victorian and the 70s looks had some overlap, if you think of the collars, sleeves, etc that were popular. Very interesting article, thanks! (Is there a similar one about decor? I'll have to check)

• wendyhewson

Wendy Hewson from VintageJewelleryFun said 4 years ago

I absolutely love the trend for vintage mixed with modern - it is a brilliant way to create a really individual look !! I have been shopping in second-hand and charity sjhops forever, and I find all kinds of designer goodies. You didn't say anything about all the great vintage jewellery abounding here on Etsy and also on e-bay and in charity shops if you look carefully, you can find the most amazing pieces straight from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and occasionally that precious piece from the 1930s !! This is, as you see, my first love - it's a great way to finish a modern outfit off !!

• lilyandlacevintage

Leanne from lilyandlacevintage said 4 years ago

How about a mix between 60's swing and 90s normcore? Lovely little article. x

• edieandglo

kelly hickey from edieandglo said 4 years ago

So many great finds! I always love popping over to the etsyUK page for a fresh look. The style is just so much more livelier than the US.

• svartlilja

Lina from svartlilja said 4 years ago

Even if I am wearing the 60's style dress I will add some accessories to make it look gothic :-)