First look: The Etsy UK TV ad, coming soon!

Jun 11, 2014

by Natalie Wall

It’s time… to get excited… because Etsy UK’s FIRST EVER TV advert is coming to a telly near you – really soon.

Remember the casting call we did back in May for UK-based Etsy sellers to star in our forthcoming TV ad? Well, after cherry-picking 67 amazing Etsy sellers (not an easy task, as all the entries were awesome!), we filmed in a secret location a couple of weeks ago and had a whole heap of fun in the process.

Etsy uk tv ad

Yeshen Venema

Now, we’re excited to reveal a little glimpse of what’s to come in this sneak preview of the Etsy UK TV ad (click play on the video at the top of this post). Spot anyone you know?

Etsy uk tv ad

Yeshen Venema

Make sure you keep your eyes glued to the goggle-box (without going square-eyed) , as the ad premieres TONIGHT on Channel 4! *cough* We suggest you tune into Mary’s Silver Service and/or One Born Every Minute… *cough* If you see it, let us know by using the hashtag #PeopleMakeEtsy – which you can also follow to get the latest on all things Etsy ad. To find out more about the fabulously talented Etsy sellers involved, visit our People Make Etsy page. Still, we ALL know the star of the show was really this guy, right?

Etsy tv ad pug

1 Featured Comment

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago Featured

@Rose @Gigi @Jacob de Graaf - we suggest you watch Mary's Silver Service and/or One Born Every Minute tonight on Channel 4 (I'll add this info into the post now, too)... ;)

• briepolley

Brie from RetroGlowDesign said 3 years ago

Awesome.. can't wait to see it!! Loving the tea towel colours in the photo above :) xx

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago

Hey Brie - we're excited too! And if you like that shot above, you'll LOVE the final ad ;)

• chambyandcor

Rose from UnwrapColour said 3 years ago

Aaaaaah!! Cannot wait to see it! Any ideas what time?

• printsofheart

Lisa from PrintsOfHeart said 3 years ago

Omg I'm REALLY excited. Is there anything us UK sellers should be doing in order to be found? Like a tagline from the ad? I've tagged a lot of things UK over the last few weeks in anticipation. Anyone else a little bit proud?

• modernfolk

Jacob de Graaf from modernfolk said 3 years ago

That is super sweet! When's the ad out natwonderwall? :)

• SantasticDesigns

Santa from SantasticDesigns said 3 years ago

Yay! Can't wait! :)

• zetaemme

Zsuzsanna from zetaemme said 3 years ago

exciting!!

• cb80085

Clara Belle from ClarasHandMade said 3 years ago

Awwww it looks awesome. Well done everyone who was picked and who made this!

• Gigi82Knits

Gigi from SantasSockCentral said 3 years ago

Great! I don't usually watch TV on Wednesdays but tonight I will!

• WishCharms

Rosaleen Carter from WishCharms said 3 years ago

So excited!

• DesignsStainedGlass

Nancy Ratte' from DesignsStainedGlass said 3 years ago

How exciting! Congrats to those who were chosen.

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago Featured

• pixiepegcrafts

Jill Bennett from FeltWitch said 3 years ago

So very exciting for everyone on Etsy! Congratulations!

• BewitchingVintage

BewitchingVintage from BewitchingVintage said 3 years ago

I wish I was there!!! Wonderful!

• natwonderwall Admin

Natalie Wall said 3 years ago

@Lisa - you SHOULD be proud! We are here at Etsy and canNOT wait for everyone to see the final ad! Have you checked out the People Make Etsy product page? >> https://www.etsy.com/pages/peoplemakeetsy You'll also receive direct communication from us later today around promotion for the ad, plus we will of course be giving you shout-outs on our social channels!

• mollygdesigns

Molly Glass from MollyGDesigns said 3 years ago

Fabulous news. Can't wait to see it. Good idea Lisa about the UK tag too, thanks

• chanchala

Chanchala from Chanchala said 3 years ago

So great to see some advertising in the UK. We've been asking for a little while & thanks Etsy UK for delivering!

• AlteredEras

Paula from AlteredEras said 3 years ago

SOOOOO excited to see this - thanks Etsy for listening to us :D

• BeckyQueenOfFrocks

Becky from BeckyQueenOfFrocks said 3 years ago

Hooray, this is so exciting! We'll be cracking out the Vimto while we watch (seeing as it's a very special occasion)!

• DezineKonnections

Tola Laseinde from DetolaAndGeek said 3 years ago

Cant wait. What Channel and time pls? Congrats to all shops & sellers that got featured Hopefully I'll make the next cut (will be on instagram by then)

• toriatee1

Toria Tee from ToriaTeeUK said 3 years ago

Fantastic news, I'd been wondering this week when it might be gracing our screens. Here's to less of the quizzical look when we tell people we sell on Etsy lol

• aizerr

Aiza from madebyaiza said 3 years ago

Exciting!! cant wait to see it!!

• michellecharter

Michelle Prinold from VanillaRetro said 3 years ago

Excited to see the ad, hope i see some Wedding wares featured as it's such a massive category and i'm a tad anxious we've been overlooked :/

• JackdawBoutique

Louise Knight from JackdawBindery said 3 years ago

Literally can't even wait for this - so glad it's on TONIGHT! I thought we were going to be waiting months!!!

• mosaicsmadebyme

Susan Stockwell from FaceTheMosaic said 3 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the ad on TV tonight!!

• saraheccleswasriley

Sarah Eccles from FlumpyButtons said 3 years ago

Wow, looks like a fantastic day for everyone! So pleased that Etsy is going to be shown on adverts in the UK - can't wait to see it!!

• thelogbasket

The Log Basket from thelogbasket said 3 years ago

So exciting! So looking forward to seeing it; brilliant news!

• juleshayman

Hunters and Collectors from HuntersCollectors said 3 years ago

How exciting! Great prequel everyone! I had no idea we were being filmed all that time. Looking forward to it and fingers crossed for a glimpse of my goodies x

• brickeclipse

L.D. from BrickEclipse said 3 years ago

Awesome...can't wait to see it, here in the US!! I hope the Pug gets to see it, too :) Congrats to all the Etsy Advert Stars...looks like it's going to be amazing!!

• IllustratingRain

IllustratingRain from IllustratingRain said 3 years ago

Exciting times, can't wait to see it tonight:)

• Badgepopper

Max Rosie from Alrightmonkeybottom said 3 years ago

Whooooooooo-hoo!! I'm in this! Can't wait bursting with excitement! Yay!!!!

• CeruleanPress

Cayce Eastwood from CeruleanPress said 3 years ago

Looks amazing, can't wait to see the ad! Now I'll have a real excuse when my hubs asks why I'm watching One Born Every Minute :)

• GaryRam

Gary and Heather from littleRamstudio said 3 years ago

Can't wait! Getting our Pug to watch too!

• louisemead

Louise Mead from louisemead said 3 years ago

How exciting - looks wonderfully kooky and oh so very Etsy! :)

• do7mi2ni9qu4e

Sally from BloomingtailsDogDuds said 3 years ago

Wowee-zowee, that is wonderful! Perhaps Etsy will concentrate on more advertising and forget about revamping the site (no more tests? I sure hope we'll see the end of them soon...).

• cjhandknits1

Caryl from CJsHandknits said 3 years ago

So excited. Brilliant. Now there will be no excuse for people saying, "aaaah who are they". There is "one born every minute" on Etsy.

• pixiepegcrafts

Jill Bennett from FeltWitch said 3 years ago

My eyes felt a little damp after watching the video of the making, its lovely.

• OliveAndVince

Naomi and Nat from OliveAndVince said 3 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this tonight - thank you guys :)

• foxandfowweather

Alice Fowweather from FoxFowweather said 3 years ago

Oh my goodness we are beyond excited! We had such an awesome time shooting the ad! Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

• jonnasaarinen

Jonna Saarinen from jonnasaarinen said 3 years ago

Super super excited!!! :D

• annecorr1

anne corr from modestly said 3 years ago

So good to see some UK action!!! very exciting, wish I could have been in it!!

• beadydaze

beadydaze from BeadyDaze said 3 years ago

Looks like you had fun!

• PrintsByMaggieg

Maggie Goodwin from PrintsByMaggieg said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see it. Loved the "Behind the Scenes" video.

• Imari1950

Ann from Collectablesgalore said 3 years ago

This looks great for UK Crafters but there's not a lot of Vintage…otherwise brilliant fun ad. Regardless, it has to raise the awareness of Etsy in the UK which can only be a plus for ALL shops! Looking forward to its screening and hopefully feeling its impact :0)

• designosaurYEAH

designosaur from designosaurYEAH said 3 years ago

We are SOOO EXCITED! :D

• willcoxkaren

karen willcox from QuirkyLime said 3 years ago

very excited to watch it, cant wait It seems like ages ago when it was filmed!! I hope you see my prints, fingers crossed

• vanillastickcom

David and Maggie Simak from ZukrBoutique said 3 years ago

So excited, I know me or our products won't be in it as I was the background noise :) ha ha, but am super excited to see it tonight. Very thankful to Etsy and Etsy UK for all their hard work for making this ad for all UK Etsy sellers!! Massive achievement, congrats!!

• withhugsandkisses

With Hugs and Kisses from WithHugsandKisses said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see it, very exciting

• collectique

collectique from Collectique said 3 years ago

I'm not in the UK but love the sneak preview, very engaging, maybe you can post the actual ad after it's out.

• pamtiestrapit

Pam from TIESTRAPIT said 3 years ago

Brilliant it all looks so colourful and great fun.

• corinneleader

Corinne Leader from PlanetCorinne said 3 years ago

Very exciting! Can't wait to see it. Thanks to everyone who made it happen :)

• flutter2me

Sophie Mathews from flutter2me said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see it! It was a fabulous day, met so many wonderful entrepreneurs, with real passion for Etsy and their shops, so much talent :-) The high light of the day was 'Ezra' and his smoke machine!!! lol! xx

• christmasleopard

Karen Caine said 3 years ago

If you don't have a television, how can you watch it?

• MorphElle

Sally from MorphElle said 3 years ago

Momentous! Etsy UK sellers have worked so hard to be recognized by consumers within the UK. I simply love the Etsy worldwide community but felt Uk was left in the dark ages of white bread and E numbers. The choices are limitless and I'm so enthusiastic this Ad will be the best thing since sliced Thanks Etsy Guys for helping get our market not just up, but running. Loved the UK tag idea!

• emmawyatt3

Emma Wyatt from EmmaWyattArt said 3 years ago

Ooooo can't wait! :)

• FlashFloozy

Marie from Flashfloozy said 3 years ago

Exciting! Can't wait to see it and hopefully raise the profile of Etsy in the UK ;) x

• ADFK

Alexandra C. da Fonseca-Klein from ADFK said 3 years ago

Maravilhoso :) Just AMAZING!!!!!!

• taffertydesigns

Tafferty Designs from taffertydesigns said 3 years ago

I'm really looking forward, To seeing this ad. Hurrah! Hurray! For Etsy UK! Can you tell I'm excited? :-)

• taffertydesigns

Tafferty Designs from taffertydesigns said 3 years ago

Oops! That was supposed to be a little poem, not a sentence! Lol Oh well...the message is the same. :-)

• WelshPixie

Toria from PoweredByPixies said 3 years ago

Yes, what Karen Caine says - I don't have television, will it be available online once it's premiered?

• HWRDesigns

Helen Rhodes from HWRDesigns said 3 years ago

Oh exciting, such a tease we didn't have it in time for our craft party!!

• Nineteenzerosix

Nineteenzerosix from Nineteenzerosix said 3 years ago

I am beyond excited to see the final cut! I forgot we were being filmed and photographed throughout the day!

• selenalee69

Selena Lee Rose Allen from LovesVintage43 said 3 years ago

EEEK! I am going out tonight, I have set the telly to record both programs now, lol x

• DalerisBotanicals

DalerisBotanicals from DalerisBotanicals said 3 years ago

So excited and can't wait to see it. Kindly let us know what UK sellers should be doing in order to be found please. This is so great!

• DalerisBotanicals

DalerisBotanicals from DalerisBotanicals said 3 years ago

Got my eyes glued on the TV :)

• variousof

variousof from variousof said 3 years ago

still waiting : )

• craftaroundtheclock

Annarita Monaldi from CraftAroundTheClock said 3 years ago

I saw it on telly tonight! It's great! My husband and I -both Etsy sellers- jumped up our chairs and cheered at the end of it and we both went: That's us!!! It was such a strange feeling! We are used to see ads of "companies" miles away from who you are... This one is actually US! Isn't that amazing??? Well done guys who partecipate in the ad and represent us all! Great job! xx

• craftaroundtheclock

Annarita Monaldi from CraftAroundTheClock said 3 years ago

Sorry: forgot to add the most important thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVuuHqeCLBA !!!

• SusanJeanPeters

Susan Jean Peters from susanjeanpeters said 3 years ago

Dare I say a little tear, when I watced. Welcome to the UKKKKKKKKKKK Etsy.

• kom2c

Sau chi TANG from kom2c said 3 years ago

so exciting ...... still watching and keep watching till see the advert.

• stellahands

Eddy Cook from Pastprices said 3 years ago

Looks really good I wish you all the best and nothing less!

• TataniaRosa

Heather Buckman from TataniaRosa said 3 years ago

Just seen it during 24. Absolutely fantastic! Well done to all involved in the ad.

• toriatee1

Toria Tee from ToriaTeeUK said 3 years ago

Sat glued for 2 hours only to see... nothing. It appears it wasnt broadcast over all regions. Ah well I shall continue to answer the "whats etsy then?" question for a while longer.

• thebarkercompany

Sue - Catwoman makes purrfect couture cat clothing from TheBarkerCompany said 3 years ago

Cooool just seen it, really colourful and eye catching x

• cjhandknits1

Caryl from CJsHandknits said 3 years ago

I sat through 2 hours of TV watching the adverts and saw nothing. Mary's Silver Service and One Born Every Minute are programmes I would not normally watch. Not a happy bunny.

• arkwoodUK

Ian from arkwoodsigns said 3 years ago

Is it going to be shown on all regions? And which regions is it currently shown on? It only has 6 regions and it was not on in the Midlands so that leaves London, South of England, North of England, Ulster and Scotland

• michellecharter

Michelle Prinold from VanillaRetro said 3 years ago

So where in the UK was it actually shown? Certainly not in Liverpool, that's for sure - would have been nice to include a note about it being regional, Etsy.

• toriatee1

Toria Tee from ToriaTeeUK said 3 years ago

wasnt on in Kent down in the southeast

• arkwoodUK

Ian from arkwoodsigns said 3 years ago

Looks like it was London based then. Just seen it on youtube, and though I do kind of like it, and I didn't expect to much of me or my product being visible, it would have been nice not to have been a blurry blob :P damn fame eludes me :)

• toriatee1

Toria Tee from ToriaTeeUK said 3 years ago

aww Ian, your claim to fame can be "I was the blurry blob on the regionally shown Etsy advert on the tele" lol

• BeckaGriffin

Becka Griffin from BeckaGriffin said 3 years ago

Hmmm I sat through the Mary Portas programme too, good job I checked here before sitting through One Born Every Minute. So disappointed it's not a national advert. Are there plans to show it in the north?

• ADFK

Alexandra C. da Fonseca-Klein from ADFK said 3 years ago

So cool...brings back really good and happy memories. It was on the 3rd part of Mary's silver service :)

• jizbasusan

Susan Jizba from TheWeaverOfWords said 3 years ago

I'm so Very Excited for all of you guys!!!! What a Wonderfully Colorful & Creative Video!!! I'm sure you'll have an Awesome Advertisement!!!

• tlchaberdashery

Julie Driscoll from tlcHaberdashery said 3 years ago

Also sat through 2hrs of TV and 2 programs I wouldn't usually watch, to discover it's not being shown in the north. I wish it had been stated which regions it was being broadcast to.

• theliteratestitch

Kate from theliteratestitch said 3 years ago

Wasn't on in Oxfordshire either :( I don't normally watch telly at all so that's 2 hours of my life wasted. Did see it on youtube and it was better than expected though.

• LittleBrownDogWorksh

Susan from LittleBrownDogUK said 3 years ago

Ooh, we hopped channels just looking out for it but not seen here.. getting online instead!

• akcflowerdesigns

Pam Chahal from akcflowerdesigns said 3 years ago

Really exciting! Well done to everyone. X

• selenalee69

Selena Lee Rose Allen from LovesVintage43 said 3 years ago

Watched the recording when I got back from the cinema- it's brill!!! So excited about it :-)

• TheDorothyDays

TheDorothyDays from TheDorothyDays said 3 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• Glenberg

Linda Soderberg from CinderellaButtons said 3 years ago

Well done for the TV ad, although I have yet to see it. I shall see if I can find it on youtube!

• Okhti

Adenike Adeola from TheToteGallery said 3 years ago

Ad looks good! You guys have nailed it, really capturing the essence of ETSY :)

• MARiSOLcrafts

VITA SEBEK from MARiSOLcrafts said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see the add!!!

• baetensjosien

Josien from JeTrouve said 3 years ago

Awesome!!!

• judeharringtonsmith

Jude Smith from LunaRosaArt said 3 years ago

well done etsy .... fab ad. and awesome support for sellers !

• cathpaperart

Cathy from SeaMeadowDesigns said 3 years ago

Love it! well done :)

• PeppercornJewellery

Emma from PeppercornJewellery said 3 years ago

Absolutely loved this film- the music, the people and the atmosphere in it totally sums up Etsy and it's so wonderful to be part of the growing Etsy family! Thank you Etsy for all the support for UK sellers and crafters at the moment, I love having a shop with you!

• timrava

zuzana-timrava from timrava said 3 years ago

Before i was moaning - Why they didn't choose me.........etc. And after, when I seen it I was so happy , it was wonderful, and I get it, it isn't about someone, about one person, it is about US, about how cleaver people are on Etsy. I love it. Thank you

• MONOFACES

Edita Mel from MONOFACES said 3 years ago

Brilliant atmosphere!

• jrsmith50

Horn And Orchid from HornAndOrchid said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see this - well done everyone it looks great!

• magicmoonarts

Michelle Morgan from MagicMoonArts said 3 years ago

This is briliant! :)

• afterglowretro

robin parfitt from afterglowretro said 3 years ago

surely this will be shown more than once? and what regions / nationally? be great to know as tweeting with a relevant hashtag at the same time could be great promotion for us all!

• onmykitchentable

Suzanne from Onmykitchentable said 3 years ago

Great ! About time everyone knew how fab it is here !

• d17wn

Dawn from DawnsBagBoutique said 3 years ago

Brilliant! Looking forward to seeing it...lets hope it brings great things for us all <3

• Etsy TV Advert Launched! | Brighton Etsy Team said 3 years ago

[…] https://blog.etsy.com/uk/2014/06/11/etsy-uk-tv-ad-first-look/#ooid=twOTY4bjrUFsc7MmY5coi8o5na12lpjK […]

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 3 years ago

Bright and colourful video! Lovely work!

• CreateTheCut

Create The Cut from CreateTheCut said 3 years ago

So so cool, looking forward to the advert!

• ArmorOfModernMen

Will Z. from ArmorOfModernMen said 3 years ago

Great to see the word out about all these wonderful UK shops and sellers. Nice work.

• discerningchichi

Valerie from chichigemmes said 3 years ago

Brilliant!!

• treasureworks1

Treasure Works from TreasureCaveEmporium said 3 years ago

Yay! Go team Etsy! :D Was lovely to get messages from people saying " Oh that's Etsy ! I'll have a proper look now ". :D

• CHARLIEPU

Heather Pugh from CUTIEDOG said 3 years ago

Can't wait to see it.

• susandevon53

Susan from ItsSewInspirational said 3 years ago

yes this is great the only thing `i did notice was the age of the people in there,not many oldies like me.maybe you should make one with the older generation,to show we still have great ideas and products.Is that a challenge.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• talulahblue

talulahblue from talulahblue said 3 years ago

Whoop! I was on vacation when all this happened, a lovely surprise!!

• rainita

Rainita M from RadarVintage said 3 years ago

I did catch it, and it was very jolly and happy, but the vintage part only appeared to show clothing and fashion accessories, (and a couple of bits of furniture - not clear if vintage or crafted) not collectibles or antique/vintage pieces. Looked a bit like a street arts n crafts fair, which is fine, but Etsy has a massive vintage section, encompassing so much more than frocks and beads. I fear that antique/vintage collectibles (which I and many other UK sellers offer) were overlooked. Vintage is so much more than dresses and fashion accessories...and the UK is known for its quality vintage/antique pieces.

• rainita

Rainita M from RadarVintage said 3 years ago

And I agree with Susan - Etsy sellers are not all in their 20s - neither are buyers - and it would have been nice to show a broad age range - I can only assume that the people who made the ad wanted to show a younger demographic otherwise there would have been a wider age range. I find that more annoying than the fact that vintage items were overlooked. It's not a question of doing different ads for different ages - in my book that's ageist too - but rather showing a representative mix of ages. Same goes for guys - only a few represented - around 10% men? Whether this is an actual representation or not I don't know, but the ad was made to appeal to young women only, which is a pity, because so many items on here are geared towards all ages and sexes.

• angelawrightful

Angela Wright from AngelaWrightDesigns said 3 years ago

I love it. Not many people have heard of Etsy in the UK. I love selling internationally but it will be nice to hear more UK people saying 'Oh yes Etsy' and it is a lovely ad, much more arty than the NOTHS ad. I am delighted. I am so glad they used actual sellers for the ad.

• The coveted list: June 2014 | prettyfourwalls said 3 years ago

[…] keep an eye out for Janine in the Etsy TV ad. She doesn’t know it yet (tee hee) but I’ hoping to do a much bigger piece about […]

• NicolasKnitKnacks

Nicola and Jessica Belton from CelticKnittingCo said 3 years ago

The first time I saw the ad I was amazed, it's brilliant! Very simple and clean.

• cartwrightjo

Jo Cartwright from AFlowerFairysGarden said 1 year ago

missed it - how any times has the ad been aired?