An Etsy advert is coming to a television near you! Etsy’s VP of International, Nicole Vanderbilt, tells us about this exciting news and how to apply to take part.
I am delighted to share some very big news with you: Etsy’s going to be on the telly, and we are starting right here in the UK with our very first advert!
Thanks to our all our wonderful UK sellers, the marketplace has grown immensely here in the last year. We feel we are now, more than ever, ready to broadcast the Etsy message to a much, much wider audience in the UK. The Etsy marketplace is renowned for beautiful, original work by talented craftspeople, gorgeous vintage finds, and inspiring craft supplies, and we are so excited to tell more people about all your items.
There is huge opportunity for our sellers in the UK. We are hoping to attract a high number of first time Etsy buyers — to introduce Etsy to a wider audience of UK shoppers who care about buying from real people.
Of course what makes Etsy so special is our sellers and their items, so you can imagine what the focus of our advert will be – our amazing community. It should be no surprise that the cast of our advert will indeed be our very own sellers in the UK. Etsy is nothing without its sellers. It’s the people that make Etsy.
Could it be you?
We are looking for UK-based sellers to join us to shoot the ad in central London on Wednesday, 14 May. If you would like to take part, read on!
- Shoot date: Wednesday, 14 May
- Time on set: 7:30am – 9:00pm (times subject to change slightly)
- Location: Central London (exact location details to follow soon)
- Compensation: £100 for your travel expenses + additional shop/item promotion (see below).
** Please note the £100 is the only financial compensation. Unfortunately, we can’t provide additional funds if you are coming from very far away, so do take this into consideration when deciding to apply.
Ready To Apply
Remember, to apply you must be a UK resident who sells on Etsy. Please read the full set of details and requirements below.
To apply to be in the Etsy UK TV advert, share a photo of you and your craft with us on Instagram, using the hashtag #peoplemakeetsy and mentioning @etsy.
In your image caption, let us know your name and your shop name, where you live, what you sell and why it’s great.
For example, “I’m Alistir from AlistirWoodTait in Edinburgh. I found the ring that represents your love.”
Additional Information for applicants
What to Expect
We are delighted to be able to include loads of Etsy sellers and their items in this ad because you are what makes Etsy great. Due to the nature of the concept and the creative process, there are likely to be a handful of sellers featured more prominently, so not everyone who attends the shoot will have a “front and centre” place in the ad. Regardless of how much coverage you and your item get, it will most definitely be an amazing day of experiencing a professional television shoot and meeting other Etsy sellers and creative folks!
We’ve never done a TV ad in the UK before, so we can’t say how much impact your appearance will have on your sales, but we will be sending you tools to help take advantage of the exposure. We’ll be providing you with professional assets after the shoot:
- Professional, high-res photos of you and your items on set
- A badge for your shop which proclaims your item was in the TV ad
- Additional promotional coverage for your shop on EtsyUK’s social media channels
You must meet the following requirements to apply and take part in the advert.
- You must be a full time resident of the UK with an active Etsy shop.
- You’ll need to sign a release form allowing us to use the footage we shoot of you and your item.
- Please arrive in the clothes and make-up you’d like to be wearing during the shoot (touch-ups allowed of course, but we won’t have a dedicated area for dressing or make-up on set).
- The advert takes place on a London street, so be sure to dress in the regular, comfortable clothes you might wear to a weekend street market.
- Do bring light/warm/wet weather clothes as weather mid-May in the UK can be unpredictable.
- Do NOT wear any clothing with a visible brand
- Avoid wearing black if possible.
- Please bring the products you sell (if you’re selected, we’ll give you more information on what to bring)
- Be prepared to do a lot of waiting around (unfortunately this is just sort of the way making TV and movies goes…)
- You must apply by end of day Wednesday 7 May.
You must post your photo by end of day Wednesday, 7 May to be considered. We’ll send word to our lucky TV advert sellers next week with more details!
If you have any questions, please join us in the UK team.