Project New Year: Start your business

Jan 17, 2014

by Emily Dean

We know that selling on Etsy can be a great source of supplemental income. Here at Etsy, we also know that many successful sellers are stay-at-home moms, with dedicated hobbies that have grown into thriving online businesses. These moms have businesses that they run on their own terms, on their own schedule, from the comfort of their homes. To many of these mums Etsy provides not only supplemental income, but access to a community of other women who are also juggling home life with running a business.

Knowing this, we decided to team up with mum blogs from around the world for #ProjectNewYear. With their help, we’re spreading the word to moms everywhere that they can start a business from their very own homes, and still reach millions of customers worldwide. The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to start something new. To help mums get off the ground, we’ve developed an educational blog series written by Etsy experts, including Etsy Admin and sellers. The four-week program covers the following topics:

Week 1: Starting a Home-Based Business
Week 2: Getting Help From Your Community
Week 3: Connecting Your Brand With Customers
Week 4: Marketing and Promoting Your Shop

We’re elated to team up with a variety of stellar partners to share this inspirational, hands-on content. Check out our partners for #ProjectNewYear below.

BritMums | United Kingdom

BritMums is home to the UK’s largest collective of lifestyle bloggers, with thousands of articles on the topics of parenting, traveling, food and more. BritMums encourages readers to professionalize their blogging and take that dedication to the bank. It’s no secret: running a successful blog can be a full-time job, just like running an Etsy shop! Learn more by reading how Naomi runs her two Etsy shops and manages family life on BritMums.

Savvymom | Canada

Founded by Sarah and Minnow, two savvy moms themselves, Savvymom quickly developed into one of Canada’s most popular places on all things parenting. Savvymom’s weekly newsletter is full of  practical tips for the daily juggle as a mother. Check out Savvymom’s feature on Canadian jewelry maker Colleen Johnson and her top tips for finding success on Etsy.

kidspot | Australia

As one of Australia’s most popular sites on all aspects of living with kids, kidspot is a dynamite resource for parents around the world. Since 2005, the parenting blog has developed a rich community, fostering a welcoming space for mothers to share their stories of challenge and triumph. Check out their recent interview with Cath Young of My Bearded Pigeon, business owner and full-time mom of two.

Momtrepreneur | South Africa

“I am a mom. I am an entrepreneur. Just like most working moms out there, I am faced with the daily challenge of balance.” Based out of Cape Town,  Claire Minaar is the face of Momtrepreneur and other successful South African websites. Momtrepreneur is a place for “Momtrepreneurs” to connect with like-minded women, develop their businesses and market themselves. Have a look at Etsy seller Xenia Kuhn’s DIY for a childrens bear hood cape.

We’re excited to have such fantastic and diverse partners together in one program, and look forward to all the mums that decide to take the step and open their Etsy shop. Don’t forget to follow along with the project at #ProjectNewYear on Instagram and Twitter for the inside scoop. Join Etsy’s team Mother’s Finest to connect with new sellers who felt inspired through the program.

Have you been reading along and are eager to start your Etsy shop right away? Open your shop in a few steps.

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 5 years ago

Fantastic and encouraging post and idea. Thank you for sharing

• manuluvi

manu gargano from manuluvi said 5 years ago

Thanks! very inspiring, especially in this time of New Year's Resolutions........

• ScribbleandDaub

Caroline Kent from ScribbleandDaub said 5 years ago

Starting Scribble & Daub after my son was born is one of the best things I've ever done - it was the only way I could think of to combine interesting work with being a mama, and only 2 years on, it's taken me places I never imagined I'd go. My cards are now stocked at The Conran Shop and Liberty among others, and have been featured in Vogue and World of Interiors! I would recommend it to anyone (but don't expect to have a great deal of free time on your hands!)

• rachelarichards1

Rachel Richards from RachelsRopework said 5 years ago

it was the enthusiasm of my children for my rope work that helped me to approach local shops with my work and open a facebook page selling my things. I have only recently opened my etsy shop and haven't sold anything from it yet, but just having some there to look at on the shop interface has given me a massive boost. I love it, and I love seeing the development of my own taste of products in the 'favourites' section. I didn't think I had a 'style' but it appears I do!

• jizbasusan

Susan Jizba from TheWeaverOfWords said 5 years ago

That's such a wonderful idea! I started my Etsy business as a outlet to supplement my creativity, working in a non-creative 9 to 5 job. Thank you Etsy for offering such a wonderful opportunity!

• thisislullaby

Vicky Brown from ThisisLullaby said 5 years ago

Great idea and interested to see how this develops. I started my Etsy business toward the end of my maternity leave from my old employment, and its now my main income. It allows me to work flexibly and part time, and I love having the chance to be creative again. ...... no one should underestimate how incredibly hard it is to do with small children running around though!! I use childcare now, I don't see how it's possible to be a full time SAHM, have a shop, and also a life haha :-)

• styleiconscloset

Sisi And Mimi from styleiconscloset said 5 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring!

• RarityMoon

Chloe Bristow from RarityMoon said 5 years ago

This is wonderful, even though I'm not a mother I have an understanding of looking after everything as well as starting out with an online business and I have plenty to juggle. I help to look after younger brother and my mum who has recently fallen ill. Etsy is my favourite thing to do, it brightens my days during tough times. I look forward to seeing more and will definitely be keeping up with this series!

• pouch

pouch from pouch said 5 years ago

’ve had an online shop on Etsy since 2007. I sell a range of handcrafted vintage fabric bags, accessories, housewares & trims. At first I ran it alongside my freelance work. When I had my daughter in 2009 I couldn’t return to my freelance work due to high costs of childcare. I decided to focus my time on Pouch. It allows me to work in the evenings and I have made a modest part-time income over the past 4 years. I make a part-time income because I work when I can, juggling many tasks such as PR, marketing, blog writing, product photos, products listings & post office runs. With a young child it’s often hard to find the time to put in the hours needed to make my business grow…but if you have enthusiasm & a love of creating, then I’d say go for it! Etsy has opened up a whole new world to me, I’ve met lots of amazing crafty and creative people, some have gone on to be ‘real life’ friends. I am also a features writer for UK Handmade Magazine which was set up by a group of people who met via Etsy. The magazine goes from strength to strength and I support the #buyhandmade movement. I will watch #ProjectNewYear with interest on twitter and if I can be of any help to new sellers, then give me a shout!

• lainephoto

Laine Apine from LondonNiftyGifties said 5 years ago

This is a really cool idea, inspirational indeed! If I wouldn't be Etsying yet - #ProjectNewYear would definitely make me reconsider. :)

• nanditaamre

nandita amre from arriaarts said 5 years ago

Thank you Etsy,I opened my shop recently on 9'th jan. No sales as yet but Etsy has given me an opportunity to run my business from the comfort of my home .I didn't even imagine in my dream that I'd possibly reach to the people around the world.If at all someone will guide me to increase my sales Iwould be really grateful.Thank you.

• antjero Admin

Antje Roßteuscher from antjero said 5 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much for your lovely, positive and encouraging comments on this initiative. Makes us really happy!

• boutonrougedesigns

Chrystal Shaw from boutonrougedesigns said 5 years ago

So nice to see encouragement for moms! I started my business when my sons were 6 and 8 and it has grown as they have become more independent which has been perfect! Going into year 5 now! Not to say that there weren't times that I doubted this path. At times I've felt quite selfish and wondered if I was doing the right thing. The important thing is to persevere and just keep at it. Doing this business from home has allowed me to be there for them in ways I couldn't have been if I had gone back to work in an office. I'm home every day if they need to be picked up from school or have days off. I can schedule times off based on what my family needs (and sometimes based on what I need). The flexibility and opportunity for growth has been amazing. It has also allowed me to do what I LOVE doing! What an important example to set for your children. If you're a mom thinking about trying Etsy don't feel intimidated by all the small steps it takes to get set up. Find a group and ask for help and advice. You'll find that other Etsy sellers are very eager to help and support each other any way we can. Good luck!

• studioNinocka

Nina from studioNinocka said 5 years ago

Oh, I love this! I have my business for 3,5 years now and 1,5 year old daughter. I just dusted off my Etsy shop and made some new listings. I need as much encouragement as I can get and I love to inspire others with my ”wisdom” ;) We need to see the bright future and believe in creativity we were gifted with. Not just for us, for our children too! <3 Nina

• vintagegirlie58

Michelle Hatcher from TheVintageGirlie said 5 years ago

I started my own business when my son was diagnosed with Autism - I had worked and joined forces with other parents who also had children with special needs and we formed a support group for parents in the Swindon area. As my son has since hit his teens, I have found that he needs my time more and more as he grows - juggling a full time job when he was younger was fairly easy, now, as childminding for him because increasingly difficult to find, it has driven me to pursue my business further so I can be there for him - the inspiration for the name, The Vintage Girlie came from Jon, my son, as this is the title he gives me! He says his mum is The Vintage Girlie - I thought, in honour of him, that's what the company should be called - I do get to spend more time with him, and since he has found a gift for making the most delicious cakes, I thought it would be an excellent idea for when I get my actual shop on he street, that he will make the cakes for the tea room we also want to have in the shop! The whole business has shown him the confidence of doing something for himself when he is older, he will see how to work for himself, as being Austistic, his employment opportunities will be sadly, limited. My business is all about vintage, and at the same time, it is about growth, for him and I, as a family, but also giving hope for the future for him.... :)

• mcox1002

MKCUSA JEWELRY from MKCUSA said 5 years ago

Hi Emily, I'm retired and trying to promote my small business of hand made jewelry. I enjoy making the items and they are one of a kind! My web site is www.mkcusajewelry.weebly.com I am enjoying my endeavor and thanks for your blog !! Mkcusa