Advent DIY Day 2: Marbled Christmas Crackers by Francesca Stone

Dec 2, 2013

by Emily Dean

Every day between December 1st and December 25th, we bring you a new festive ‘how to’ as part of our DIY Advent series.

Francesca is a UK blogger and runs Fall Foy DIY. She loves making and is always looking for new DIY project to get stuck in to.

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 09.32.18

What would be your perfect Christmas day? Sitting around a kitchen table with the people I love, playing board games, eating lots of great food and drinking good wine.

What is your favourite handmade Christmas present? A beautiful hand knitted wool cowl and wrist warmers my sister made for me one Christmas. They were so soft and warm!

Where will you be for Christmas? I’ll be at my sisters house doing everything described as my perfect Christmas in the first question. I can’t wait!

Christmas crackers are one of my favourite Christmas traditions. I always love the friendly competition, wearing the hats around the table and telling the terrible jokes. So why not extend this fun way of giving gifts with hand made crackers stuffed with some extra special goodies to make Christmas dinner a real treat

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 09.33.49

Paper Marbling:

1. Fill a container larger than your card with around 3” of water.

2. Pour in a little of each colour of nail varnish.

3. Using a skewer or chopstick mix the colours in a grid like fashion

4. Lay your paper over the top of the water for 10 seconds.

5. Lift off the water and leave to dry.

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 10.02.31

Making the Cracker:

1. Score 2” into the card on both sides, and then another 1” from that line.

2. Using a scalpel knife cut out lozenge shapes between the scored lines. Make sure the cut out edges do not meet.

3. Stick double sided tape onto one of the longer edges and then create the tube. Seal together with an inch overlap.

4. Fill with presents for your friends and family! If you need ideas for great and easy DIY cracker fillers you can find one everyday this week on my blog Fall For DIY!

5. Tie brightly coloured threads around the cut out sections to create the cracker shape.

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 09.13.04

• Beginnersgeluk

Arriënne Taylor-Barto from TinyLuck said 6 years ago

Great idea! Thank you!

• MarciaWhiteDesigner

MARCIA WHITE from MarciaWhiteUK said 6 years ago

These are lovely, thank you.

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 6 years ago

Lovely idea and post. thank you for sharing

• silverstudy

Lizl from TheSilverStudy said 6 years ago

Lovely idea!! Thank you for showing us how :)

• ASParkerJewellery

Amy Sarah Parker from ASParkerJewellery said 6 years ago

I love the colours! What a great idea, thank you for sharing this awesome idea! :D x

• fairysteps

Ren from Fairysteps said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing! Ren x

• teastainedcaptain

Holly Johnson from TeastainedTimes said 6 years ago

My Grandma always used to make everyone in our family a cracker for each Christmas. The twist? They were huuuge, jam packed with chocolates, small presents like socks and pens and keyrings, and of course a paper hat and a joke, usually robbed from the store bought crackers we'd inevitably end up getting for dinner because they had a game in, and hastily stuffed through the open end before it was tied up, and then were presented with the correct amount of pomp and circumstance. These were crackers so large they had several snaps glued end to end inside, which never snapped. Crackers so large the cat curled up in the forgotten end of one one year, and nearly got tossed in the recycling.

• KnitByCoutureStudio

Rachida Selvidge from KnitByCoutureStudio said 6 years ago

Lovely idea, thank you for sharing :)

• KnitByCoutureStudio

Rachida Selvidge from KnitByCoutureStudio said 6 years ago

Lovely idea, thanks for sharing :)

• loeladesigns

Laura Baker from LoelaLoela said 6 years ago

I'm definitely going to dig out that unused marbling kit & give these a go : )

• Chessiestone

Francesca Stone from FallForDIY said 6 years ago

Thank you everyone for your lovely compliments! Holly, that story is amazing! I totally want to make that a new tradition at home. Your Christmas's sound so much fun!

• rebeccalenton

rebeccalenton said 6 years ago

Where do I find the "thing" that makes the crackers go "snap"? Just to get really technical there.. aha!

• Chessiestone

Francesca Stone from FallForDIY said 6 years ago

Hey Rebecca, I got the snap things out of shop bought cheap crackers, which means you get the hats and rubbish jokes as well! I think you can also get them at HobbyCraft. x

• lypakiskostas

Konstantinos Lypakis from XyloDesignArt said 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing...nice idea!!!!

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 6 years ago

WOWWW, What is this, i've never seen it before & it looks like a nice idea :::-) thank u for sharing ;---) + HAPPY HOLIDAYS + ;---)

• rebeccalenton

rebeccalenton said 5 years ago

Thanks so much Francesca :) I am so excited about making these for my family this Christmas!! x