Guest Curator: Maria Soxbo

Nov 15, 2013

by Husligheter

Maria Soxbo is a Stockholm based freelance journalist with a background as editor-in-chief of two lifestyle magazines, as well as acting editorial director of ELLE Sweden. She’s also the author of one of Sweden’s oldest design blogs, Husligheter. Right now she works and blogs from home, a 1930s house south of Stockholm, with  her 8 months old twins keeping her busy.

I love great design for kids and Etsy is the perfect place to find gifts for friends with newborns, as well as stuff for your own kids’ rooms, closets and Christmas stockings. And don’t forget to check for great party decorations and invitations when your kids’ birthdays are coming up!

Gifts for Newborns:

What’s more fun than shopping for newborn babies? Although I try to buy something besides baby clothes. Since they grow so fast at the beginning, it’s more fun to give something they can keep for life – or at least use for a little longer. It’s always great to give something personalised too!

1. Personalised Baby Block by BLOCKSetc 2. Woodland Fox Stuffed Animal Toy by TidwellHollowFriends 3. Personalised Cloud Wall Hanging by southernskyart 4. Organic Custom Made Baby Blanket by Saravadesign 5. Queen Giraffe Custom Made Baby Print by LeoLittleLion

Clothing for Toddlers:

I think baby clothes should be comfy and soft above all, and I prefer funky prints and classic stripes to anything too cutesy. I also love unisex clothes – my 8-month old twins (a boy and a girl) share clothes. I don’t sew though – too bad since there are a LOT of great patterns out there.

1. Moustache Bandana Baby Bib by LaPetiteCovers 2. Baby Sewing Pattern by brindilleandtwig 3. Baby Merino Handknitted Sweater by Pegorina 4. Elk Organic Toddler Leggings by Littlenuggetnoggins

Kids’ rooms:

Since I blog about design and home decor, my kids’ room is just as much fun to decorate as the rest of the house. I like kids’ rooms and nurseries to be cosy and colourful but not too hysterical. A great way to do that is to choose vintage inspired, muted colours – and why not put a vintage print on the wall?

1. Cloud Mobile by goshandgolly 2. Mini Teepee by houseinhabit 3. Crochet Whale Rug by KingSoleil 4. Mini Tooth Pillow by  ThreeBadSeeds

Toys:

Everything doesn’t have to be plastic in your kids’ toy box! I try to find fun and pretty wooden toys, crochet cuddly animals and anything that stimulate your kids’ fantasy. If possible, I try to find stuff that’s eco-friendly too.

1. Whale Puzzle by berkshirebowls 2. Fox Mask & Tail by BHBKidstyle 3. Felt Banana by FeltFarmMarket 4. Eco Woodland Animal Set by Imaginationkids 5. Stuffed Toy Fox by rosieok

Parties:

Themed parties are always a hit with kids, but just making an effort with the decorations and invitations goes a long way. Let’s party!

1. Printable Party Cones by sweetsanity 2. Candy Buffet Decorations by BeautifulPaperCrafts 3. Custom Made Cake Toppers & Wraps by maryhadalittleparty 4. Red Polka Dot Moustache Party Straw by thepartypenguin

• UnderMilkWood

UnderMilkWood from UnderMilkWood said 5 years ago

Lovely selection! The fox the teeth and the clouds are my favourites.

• TheAmateurNaturalist

Beth Anne and Sarah Schwamberger from TheAmateurNaturalist said 5 years ago

Adorable picks! Quirky but cute, colorful and fun!

• LoveButtons

Julia K Walton from FireHorseVintageHQ said 5 years ago

So cute - will have to have a further look for my nephew! :)

• VillaPernilla

pernilla lindfors from VillaPernilla said 5 years ago

Hej! Great selection! Hoppas nu att mer svenskar upptäcker Etsy..

• CooperCollectibles

Cooper Collectibles T from CooperCollectibles said 5 years ago

What great stuff and ideas for the little ones...I love this :))

• JaneRowles

Jane Rowles from ThePetalandthePea said 5 years ago

Really lovely selection ..I love all of them especially the whale mat so cute

• JaneRowles

Jane Rowles from ThePetalandthePea said 5 years ago

What lovely selection i love the whale mat

• BloodstoneBay

Suzy Fieldhouse from TheHolloway said 5 years ago

I don't have kids but I think my cats might also enjoy a mini-teepee - great selection :)

• messickme

Marisa Messick from MarisaMessickJewelry said 5 years ago

Everything is so adorable! Is it weird that I want everything for the kid's room for my own?

• OncleHope

Oncle Hope from OncleHope said 5 years ago

What great finds! Now I have some new favorites for my 9-year old!

• Lespetitsbuttons

Sandrine from Lespetitsbuttons said 5 years ago

WoW Beautiful collection! Lovely and adorable selection :)

• photomill

kent from photomill said 5 years ago

I'm disappointed in the guest curator for endorsing mini-tipis as a cute and quirky piece of decor. Knockoff tipis are racist and appropriative, and it's disturbing that Etsy's featuring them.

• Husligheter

Husligheter – Maria Soxbo said 5 years ago

Kent, I'm so sorry if my picks upset you, it was never my intention! Maybe it's a cultural thing – I'm European and when I grew up all kinds of dress up games were just fun, no matter if the costume were of a fire fighter, an indian or a princess. I also loved playing house, and no matter if I had a playhouse, a regular tent, a tree house or a tipi we pretty much played the same way. So when I chose to include the tipi I just remembered how much fun I used to have when I was a kid, and it never crossed my mind that it could be offensive to anyone. I apologize!

• guidouxvintage

Guidoux Vintage from GuidouxVintage said 5 years ago

This is so cute!! I love them all and want to get few of these choices!!

• carolemcmullan1

Carole McMullan from MYGOOSEWIGWAMS said 5 years ago

What a lovely selection love them all

• funkynursery1

funky nursery from TheFunkyNurseryshop said 5 years ago

Maria I agree with you, we grew up in the UK and I remember doing a project on Native Americans at primary school, I was about five, and was obsessed with making my own tipis and totem poles, we had such fun and there was no politically correct nonsense, just kids having fun making the most basic shelters possible, modelled on the tipi with bean sticks from the garden and a sheet or two from the linen closet. Lighten up Kent, these are childrens products and children have no idea of skin colour or ethnicity when playing their multicultural games

• luckyspencer

Anita from HoHoHolidayShoppe said 5 years ago

what a wonderful blog. Really thought the popcorn idea for a shower was creative and unique. Wishing you continued success and joy