Guest Curator: Ruby Rhino

Jul 25, 2013

by rubyrhino1

Hannah Ricci is a freelance writer and florist, and owns Ruby Rhino – an upcycled furniture and homeware brand. She is passionate about interiors and documents her home decorating tips, favourite trends and market finds on the Ruby Rhino blog. In her spare time, Hannah can be found treasure hunting for vintage gems and restoring old furniture; cooking up a storm (read: mess) in the kitchen and planning her October wedding to her beau and business partner, Gavin.

I’m a long time Etsy fan and recently relaunched our shop with a new range of wall art and furniture handmade from reclaimed wood, plus a small stationery range made from recycled Kraft card. I love championing sustainable materials and showing that eco-friendly wares can be super stylish too. Here are some of my fave finds from Etsy sellers that share my green credentials.

Love For Wood

1. Pendant Lamp by HeadandHaft, 2. Driftwood Sailboat by purestylecrafts, 3. Union Jack by KealConcepts, 4. Pallet Table by GasandAirStudios, 5. Reclaimed Wood Wall Clock by Two2Peas.

Reclaimed wood is our material of choice at Ruby Rhino. It has so much more character than the new stuff, and is full of interesting features and signs from its former use – whatever that may be. I also love the transformation process of turning dirty, dusty old floorboards for example, into a piece of individual art or furniture. It is immensely satisfying. I’m inspired by how these sellers use reclaimed wood to create unique and beautiful items too.

Eco Baby

1. Teething Ring by CwtchBugs, 2. Lavender pillow sachet by BeetrootPress, 3. Organic Onesie by iotaillustration. 4. 3 Organic Poppies Bibs by BabyCharm, 5. Baby Booties by DaisyDumpling.

Many of my friends are having babies at the moment and I really like buying them gifts made from sustainable, reclaimed or natural materials. There are heaps of great products on Etsy that look after the health of our little ones and the planet.

Art

1. Folded Book Art by LucianaFrigerio, 2. Abstract Geometric Art Print by RedPaperHouse, 3. Orange Linocut by heatherirvinefineart, 4. Vintage Book Print by PaperArcadia, 5. Pair of Owls Card by Justineellis .

I buy most of my art prints from Etsy . There’s just so much choice and creativity – it’s quite overwhelming! I particularly like art that has a recycled element as I think it requires an extra challenge to be creative by reusing or repurposing old materials. I also like pieces that send a message to be mindful about the environment in a cool and quirky way.

Home

1. Organic cotton T-towel by BeetrootPress, 2. Recycled CD Tea Light Holder by FancyTatCrafts, 3. Upcycled coffee sack by thecoffeebagcompany, 4. Custom made House number by DavidMeddingsDeSign, 5. iPad Sleeve by CaseClosedUK.

Eco-friendly homewares used to bring to mind tacky bottle-top chandeliers and scratchy jute rugs but eco-designer makers have really upped their game and shoppers can now find a wealth of fabulously stylish pieces for the home. From reclaimed metal and sacking, to natural fabrics like cotton, linen, wool and felt, there’s so much inspiration to make your home more natural and kind to the environment.

Fashion

1. Lingerie set by luvahuva, 2. Cotton Canvas Tote by ElenaChiesa, 3. Cheetah Print Zipped Pouch by KatieandtheWolf, 4. Wheat Malt Apron by MakersMeadow 5.Cat T-Shirt by Komana.

I must admit, fashion is one of the harder areas to make stylish eco-friendly choices – particularly without blowing your budget on designer labels. Hopefully more and more designers will soon follow the lead of sustainable fashion champion Oliver Firth, just like these Etsy sellers will their stylish organic or recycled wares.

Website / Twitter / Blog

UK Shopping

• abenakcreation

Virpi Irene Bendandi from ABenakCreation said 6 years ago

A natural look, eco- friendly, recycled, new ideas for old, used items, all really ring home with me. It the world of huge multinational corporations and all the same brands and looks world-wide, let us celebrate a different look, unique hand-made item created with love and inspiration!

• valeriephoto

Valerie from valeriestitchery said 6 years ago

Wonderful! I love the look of reclaimed wood, and it's good for the environment.

• TheAmateurNaturalist

Beth Anne and Sarah Schwamberger from TheAmateurNaturalist said 6 years ago

Awesome finds, Hannah. Eco friendly doesn't have to mean old, uncreative, limited...Re-purposing materials can bring new life to design, add character, and be far more beautiful than the factory produced counterparts. Eco-friendly is worth the time and effort -- for ourselves, our children, and our planet.

• epicstitching

Mel Ladner from epicstitching said 6 years ago

Eco products are the only sustainable way for the fashion industry to grow and I do hope, as you mention in this curation article, that big box stores come around to it. But for now there are us Etsy sellers striving hard to use eco-friendly products (where we can) and promote the environmentally "better" choices to customers.

• epicstitching

Mel Ladner from epicstitching said 6 years ago

Eco friendly is, likely, to be essentially moving forward for the fashion industry and I appreciate that you address fashion with this list. While Etsy may have the most percentage of eco-friendly or sustainable products there must be some good to the fact that I've seen some small accessories and fiber items in stores now that are touting their 'conservation' materials or other "non-petroleum" backgrounds. It can only get better and certainly this list helps bring in more exposure.

• cb80085

Clara Belle from ClarasHandMade said 6 years ago

Gorgeous finds shown off here. Ruby Rhino os also a stunning shop!

• jizbasusan

Susan Jizba from TheWeaverOfWords said 6 years ago

Beautiful Finds + Eco-Friendly Materials = A Wonderful Mix that I really love!

• RebelsandPebbles

Maria Heredia from RebelsandPebbles said 6 years ago

Love anything Eco! Thanks!

• charlottehillier

Charlotte Hillier Oly Christie-Rundle from WolfeAcademy said 6 years ago

Love this! Eco is the way forward! :)

• ganevogrady

Ganev O'Grady from ReTainReMakeReNew said 6 years ago

I'm with you all the way on this - beautifully curated Etsy finds. My work too is based on reclaimed materials, mostly on upcycled mosaics using tile, jewelry, beads and anything thing else suitable and interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• cleverhead

Dominyka Vincaite from WondersomeThings said 6 years ago

Some truly amazing items and shops featured! Amazing post- thank you! Love the clock with scattered numbers, one of my favourites ever! :)

• BeachglassDesign

Blackberry Bungalow from BlackberryBungalow said 6 years ago

I am a Coastal Girl Living By the Sea. I believe in sustainable design and environmental stewardship. I believe in vin•tage, which is inherently a sustainable product. Well done Ruby Rhino.

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 6 years ago

Awesome Picks

• CharmingShopLove

Marissa Howes from CharmingShopLove said 6 years ago

Amazing picks! I always enjoy pretty eco-friendly items!

• cloudtree

Anna from Cloudtree said 6 years ago

Some lovely picks, thank you!

• indicajewelry

Robine Savert from IndicaJewelry said 6 years ago

Wow, these items look fab! I love the eco movement <3<3<3

• Agasart

Aga from AgasJourney said 6 years ago

Great and inspiring finds. Thank you for sharing

• LoveButtons

Julia K Walton from FireHorseVintageHQ said 6 years ago

Gorgeous picks. I love upcycled wood too: it has so much character! :)

• mettaville

Guatyen Koh from Mettaville said 6 years ago

haha! love the cats t-shirt. and the wood clock caught my attention, amazing art and functional piece. love it!

• mickeywmoore

Mickey Moore from MooresKingdom said 6 years ago

Really Great ideas. Thank You for taking the time and sharing....

• 4seas

4seas from 4Seas said 6 years ago

Very creative, crafty and artsy Eco friendly products. Getting ideas for Christmas gifts!

• CrimesAgainstCraft

Imogen Gray from CraftingCasually said 6 years ago

Ooo I love your pics! Some great gift ideas in there too!

• CrimesAgainstCraft

Imogen Gray from CraftingCasually said 6 years ago

Ooo I love your picks! Some great gift ideas in there too

• Glenberg

Linda Soderberg from CinderellaButtons said 6 years ago

I love upcycled itmes, I am using recycled items in my shop. I have a love of books and love the idea of the folded book art. Shame the are not shipped to europe. Lovely ideas.

• lilianfairall

Lilian Fairall from LilianFairall said 6 years ago

Lovely, just lovely! Thank you :)

• redpaperhouse

Amy Hall from RedPaperHouse said 6 years ago

This is lovely, great blog about recycling and I love your picks, thank-you :-)