Tips for Weddings Sellers From Weddings Sellers

May 23, 2013

by Susannah Bradley

On May 10th 2013, we hosted a workshop with EtsyUK admin and three of our top British wedding sellers in conjunction with our wedding showroom event in London. Don’t worry if you weren’t able to join us. Here’s a collection of tips from the three sellers that joined us, MissSarahCake, FrancesAndFrancis, and PeachBlossomUK.

FrancesAndFrancis

francesandfrancis

1. Try and make your wedding items feel special to the buyer when they receive them. They will be much more likely to treasure the item after the wedding if you’ve given it in a nice box or branded tissue paper.

2. Include a photograph of your item on a white background even if you have shot the other visuals against say a patterned wall paper. This allows for bloggers and magazines to easily cut out your image in Photoshop and include it in their articles.

3. If you’re creating a custom bespoke order then why not offer to draw them a sketch of how you believe their idea will look. This will help both you and the buyer to agree on the outcome and just add a small additional cost to their custom order for this.

4. You don’t necessarily need to have your products professionally photographed but you’ll learn a lot from the shoot if you do. You’ll see what angles to take your pictures from and how to light them properly. You can then apply this knowledge in your own studio.

MissSarahCake

misssarahcake

1. Create a good, relevant product. This may sound obvious but unless you make something that people need and use for weddings then they are unlikely to search for it.

2. Offer options and custom designs so customers can match your product to their wedding theme. Custom options are also a good way of understanding what your customers want and can help you to develop new ideas.

3. Follow trends and keep up to date with current themes in weddings by reading blogs, magazines and keep an eye popular items on Etsy.

4. Offer something different, as the wedding market is flooded with similar products. Is there a gap in the wedding market you can see or can you tap into a niche market? For example, I offer all gender options on my designs to cater for civil partnerships and gay weddings. Customers come to Etsy to look for something different and for the personal touch that you can offer.

5. Keep trying and developing your products. If something doesn’t work then move on to the next idea and carry on until you find something that does sell. Once you have designed that amazing new product it is likely that someone will copy it so continue to be one step ahead and make new ideas happen.

PeachBlossomUK

peachblossomuk

1. Show how your product can be used at a wedding through your photography.

2. Planning a wedding can be stressful so remember to be particularly patient when dealing with brides and grooms.

3. Put all the information a bride or groom might need to know about your product on your product listing without waffling too much. Make the ordering process as simple and straightforward as possible for them, especially as they have so many other things to book for their wedding day!

4. If you’re looking for inspiration, take a look at some of the traditional elements of a wedding and think about how you can put your own spin on them, for example, a greeting cards box, wedding cake stand or the bride’s bouquet – modern brides and grooms are looking for more unique and alternative items that they can use on their big day.

Also, Don’t Forget!

Tag and title your items to target one buyer. Being very specific will help that buyer find you more easily.

If your items are called something different in another English language (like American or Canadian English), be sure to tag them with those words too so that buyers in those countries can find your work. For example, a “buttonhole” can also be called “boutonniere” in American English, so this is the term American buyers will be searching for.

And of course, pay attention to your Shop Stats to see what is working. If you are using words in your tags that consistently cannot be found in your stats, they aren’t terms that buyers are using to search for your items. Consider removing those tags and trying different terms.

Check out this article for more information on Weddings and Registries on Etsy.

For more pictures from the event visit our Facebook, and join the Twitter discussion @EtsyUK with hashtag #EtsyWed. Sign up here for shopping inspiration from the UK team.

• MegansMenagerie said 5 years ago

So many great tips!

• kraftbits said 5 years ago

Great ideas...thank you!

• WeddingAmbience said 5 years ago

Great tips! Thanks for the information : )

• admspeicher said 5 years ago

Cool

• PaintStyle said 5 years ago

Thank you for the article! I don't make any items for wedding, but still - these tips are very useful for every shop on Etsy.

• gardenmis said 5 years ago

Wonderful tips and ideas! Thanks for sharing! :)

• GracefullyGirly said 5 years ago

I wish I could have been at the UK event! Sounds like a fabulous time for all. Great tips offered here, thanks.

• JewelrybyDorothy said 5 years ago

Great tips!

• PennyBirchWilliams said 5 years ago

Good ideas...many that can apply to any shop, I think. Thanks!

• richdon1 said 5 years ago

Great tips. I did not realize how important tags are. Thank you.

• GoldenDaysDesigns said 5 years ago

Great tips!

• christineshmisteen said 5 years ago

*ALSO very important: when you make the sales, realize each might just seem like another sold product--- TO YOU, but to your customer, those items are a memorable part of their wedding; your item is part of a day that they will remember for the rest of their life, and you should treat it that way. I hate seeing negative feedback for listings that look great, but the items that were received were cheap, flimsy, messy or just ultimately disappointing. Stay true to your listing, and make your pieces as great as your photos make them look, if not better. Work carefully and neatly, don't stretch yourself too thin, and never dismiss what you are making as "just for an event" and less worthy of your best craftsmanship. It's a very special time for your customers; try to enjoy sharing in their happiness! There will be pictures.., and you are also potentially advertising your shop to a few hundred guests (& a handful of them might just ask about the pieces you made, and wonder where they could get them too!)

• ecceprints said 5 years ago

Good info....thank you so much!!

• aressa said 5 years ago

Love all of these tips...So true even for other niches....Thanks for the post!

• michellecharter said 5 years ago

such helpful tips - wish I could have been there! :(

• LivingVintage said 5 years ago

Great advice!

• GeorgieGirlLLC said 5 years ago

Great tips! Thanks for the post!!

• bbqqueenie said 5 years ago

Brilliant advice! Thank you:)

• madedivine said 5 years ago

Awesome tips!! Thanks for sharing!

• Aristocrafts said 5 years ago

Excellent advice, thank you so much! Really wish I could have been there, the showcase looked wonderful! I think all the tips were fantastic, and I would really highlight the "be patient" one. Planning a wedding and ordering online can both be quite stressfull, so when dealing with brides and grooms there is never "too patient" or "too empathetic".

• anniethwaytes said 5 years ago

hmmn, you've made me think about what I make and if there's anything I can do that's more 'weddingy' ,if that's a word! thanks.

• Florentes said 5 years ago

Very useful information! I liked the idea about different keywords for English users in different countries. Should go and check what could be fixed in mines :) thank you!

• CreateTheCutPaper

Create The Cut - Paper from CreateTheCutPaper said 5 years ago

Great advice!

• melissaconnor3

Melissa Connor said 5 years ago

Question to all you friendly sellers- I purchased two flower girl dresses from an Etsy seller on 6 Oct. We had regular messages back and forth on details etc up until the 23 Oct. I logged on 30 Oct to ask a quick follow up question, only to find that the seller has closed their account, and I have no way of contacting them!! My wedding is in 6 weeks, so I need to arrange new dresses if I have been duped... Can sellers do this easily with no recourse? What is also annoying, is that I searched Etsy for similar dresses, and found some that are almost identical.... I thought they look WAY to similar to not be from the same seller (under a different name)... same style of photos, almost identical dress, exactly the same little wooden coat hanger with the teddy bear print on it... and exactly the same wording in the sales description!! So I contacted them and explained my story, and asked if they were somehow connected to my seller... they said no. I smell a rat... I say they have set up a new account and are ripping people off. Thoughts?