Top 5 Tips for Getting Press

Apr 23, 2013

by Amy Flurry

Press is a powerful promotional tool for your Etsy shop, but pitching yourself to editors can be a daunting process if you’re not armed with a game plan. What’s one of the most important tricks for getting your products featured in blogs and magazines? Thinking like an editor. Here’s what media folks want you to know.

1. Forget Expensive Press Kits and Marketing Materials

All an editor wants or really needs initially is a personalized email (one to two paragraphs is sufficient) and an amazing picture. Make sure the pitch is addressed to a specific editor and you’ve double-checked the spelling of their name. From there, if an editor is interested, he or she will go directly to your website or Etsy shop, so make sure your sites are ready for that kind of attention before you pitch.

For more tips about how to craft a compelling pitch, read How to Win the Hearts of Bloggers.

2. Read Before Reaching Out

The single most common pitching mistake to avoid (and the quickest way to being ignored) is to contact editors before reading their magazine or blog. Even if you only spend five to 10 minutes with the publication, you can study the articles to identify the tone, learn whether they feature handmade products or if their emphasis is on something different, such as profile stories.

3. Give Your Pitch a Compelling Headline

The single most helpful thing you can do to set your pitch apart from others is to write a good subject or lead. Many top editors receive hundreds of pitches each week, so you must engage them and help connect their mental dots within the first seconds their eyes land on your email subject line.  For example, “Cool Wet Weather Gear … Under $25” quickly informs an editor that you’re suggesting a potential product roundup idea for spring. If you have creative, exciting content to share with the world, the editor will pick up on that and get excited about your pitch, too.

The other important component of your pitch is the picture. Embed (never attach) a low-resolution (72 dpi) photo directly into the email. The trick to knowing if you’re submitting a great product shot (well-lit and against a crisp white backdrop) is if it looks like yours could be plugged directly into the page, section, or blog post of the publication you’re pitching.

Need photography advice? Read these tips.

4. Be Easy to Find and Quick to Respond

So many products with passionate people behind them fail to reach their press potential because they’re slow to respond to editorial requests or because they don’t make their contact info (phone number and email) available for media inquiries on their site. Many editors will abandon a site and opt for a different product if they have to fill out a form to reach you.

When editors or bloggers reach out, return the call or answer the email the same day.

5. Go the Extra Mile

Your job is only half complete if you don’t follow up your pitch. Editors may find your pitch full of possibility upon first blush but then get inundated with work and don’t respond to you. A quick follow-up email, 10 days to two weeks after the initial pitch, shows you’re serious and may just be the necessary nudge to inspire an editor to commit.

And don’t get discouraged if an editor can’t find a place for your product or idea the first go-around. When you come back to that same editor with a good idea or a different product a second and third time, it signals that you mean business and are doing the work it takes to get their attention. If it’s a good match for the magazine or blog, eventually an editor is likely to reward persistence and find a place for your idea.

What are your favorite tips for getting press, and what are some of your favorite blogs and publications? Share your thoughts in comments.

Seller Handbook Best-Of Archives

Amy Flurry is a contributor to some of the biggest publications on the newsstand and online, including InStyle, Condé Nast Traveler, Country Living, and Design*Sponge. Amy served as a contributing editor to Lucky magazine for six years and is the author of the DIY publicity book, Recipe for Press: Pitch Your Story Like the Pros & Create a Buzz ($23.95). Her popular book and DIY PR workshop serves to strengthen relationships between editors and the entrepreneur. Follow Amy Flurry on Twitter @recipeforpress and on Facebook.

2 Featured Comments

• JonShawPaintings said 6 years ago Featured

Sounds pretty great to me. Sound advice. Dana Shaffer - that's a good little tip you added too. I'm an artist who does high-res photography of everything (300 dpi) and I send around smaller resolutions for digital viewing. Perhaps adding in a line stating that "high-resolution formats exist when needed" or something along those lines is a solution?

• imperfectconceptscom said 6 years ago Featured

These are great tips. I have a couple of friends who are editors that have mentioned the same thing. I interviewed Colleen of Entrepreneur magazine and she said the same thing. She also states go to their events. Get to know the staff. They are always looking for great people to cover. I also say make a list of all the publications you want to be in and find their editorial calendar so you are pitching them at the right time. Also sign up for HARO {help a reporter out} I have gotten featured on blogs and magazines because of it Here is a link to Colleen http://blog.imperfectconcepts.com/2013/03/01/whats-in-your-bag-colleen-of-entmagazine/

• LoveFatimaJewels said 6 years ago

Thank you for the tips, I've wanted some advice on this and I appreciate it.

• WingedWorld said 6 years ago

I have an affordable $3 media kit in my shop called “Media Kit: How to Get Featured in an Article.” It includes a sample email message to get an editor or reporter's attention, along with a full-sized sample press release that you can adapt to your shop. The kit also has dozens of helpful tips. It's received great reviews from buyers. (I am a journalist in addition to being an Etsy shop owner.)

• susidjewelry said 6 years ago

Thank you for the great information. Pitching is something I will start to concentrate more on.

• Aristocrafts said 6 years ago

Awesome tips, so helpful! I think they're just the advice I needed to find to courage to start pitching! Thank you!

• LivingVintage said 6 years ago

Great advice! Although a press release often works too.

• hapacollective said 6 years ago

fiverr.com has some awesome options to help write, create media information for $5.00. Check them out.

• OuterKnits said 6 years ago

Helps if you have a compelling story too. Newspapers still like press releases.

• heroux said 6 years ago

Great tips...Thanks.

• KMalinka said 6 years ago

Great tips and info! Thank you:O)

• buhnon said 6 years ago

I love these suggestions!

• gatheredandsown said 6 years ago

Great tips!!Thanks!

• ebkriley said 6 years ago

Very helpful tips for making a move to the next level by reaching out to the media.

• RitaVanTassel said 6 years ago

This is probably one of the best-timed posts I've found this year! Thanks again Etsy. :)

• DesignsByChristianna said 6 years ago

Great suggestions and tips for getting noticed and moving forward. Thank you.

• JosieMaeArt said 6 years ago

Great tips! Thank you!

• kokopelligirl said 6 years ago

Great article, thanks!

• leahleaf said 6 years ago

thanks for the advice! It is always welcome!!

• emadefreitas said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing these great tips.

• candacehernandez said 6 years ago

All very helpful for a newcomer like me, thank you all very much!

• ThreeBarDGifts said 6 years ago

Thanks for the information! All help appreciated!

• agebo said 6 years ago

Great tips. Always helpful for those of us with new shops, thanks!

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

I love sharing all of the things editors want you to know anyway. They are looking for new products to feature every day and have really turned to etsy in a big way in the past few years for content. But if they don't find you, it's your job to pitch them! www.recipeforpress.com

• LillyQueenBeads said 6 years ago

Wonderful tips - marking this for myself to refer back to.

• MountainMasche said 6 years ago

Hi Amy - thank you for these great tips for the press pitch beginners. This is extremely helpful and encouraging for those who have doubts about how to best promote the shop or website. Appreciate the suggestion for a catchy subject line!

• seasidecloth said 6 years ago

Thanks Amy - I like that these are no-nonsense, proven ideas that can be implemented by the novice or the veteran seller. Your writing style kept me interested through the end of this article, and now I will be checking out your book...

• TheAmateurNaturalist said 6 years ago

This article has just the content I've been looking for. I feel that once we get our shop looking a little more snazzy, our butterfly terrarium kits would make a fabulous addition to a product round-up in several different magazines. Without this article and great leads from other etsians, I would have been clueless in approaching editors. Thanks a bunch, Etsy. As always, you're full of helpful advice!

• JackieDoremus said 6 years ago

Very interesting and insightful. Thank you!

• TheNorthWayStudio said 6 years ago

Wonderful tips! Thank you so much!

• lmouer said 6 years ago

Great advice! Getting your products out into the world can be a frustrating experience. Your post makes it sounds possible with some hard work and serious creativity. Thank you! :)

• CafePrimrose said 6 years ago

great idea!

• skyvalleyjewelry said 6 years ago

Great article with some really great advice.

• HabitNation said 6 years ago

I'm excited to try these tips very soon. I've always been a little fearful of contacting editors, but this is written in a such a way to make it seem easy and fun. Thank you!

• Reneeloveandco said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to put these tips to use.

• passionatelycreated said 6 years ago

Great article! It can be overwhelming when you think of all the great designs already out there and published.....how can we ever make it! These tips remind you that anything is possible, but no one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter! Thanks Amy!

• themissingpiecepuzzl said 6 years ago

thanks! I could use some press and some love from my Etsy friends!

• BlueMoonSilks said 6 years ago

Very helpful article - this gives me something to work towards. Thanks!

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

Helene, it is possible. Editors look for new products to feature all day every day! That's what drives these blogs and magazines! They just need you to pitch in the right way, that gives them confidence you are ready for press!

• tesscloset said 6 years ago

Very helpful & informative!! Thanks so much! I am a new shop owner on etsy & appreciate etsy articles.

• greenchicliz said 6 years ago

Great article -- I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing something like this. Thank you!

• EleganceFarmHome said 6 years ago

Amy, thank you for sharing these great points! What a super post-- so clear and fun to read. -- Jane

• SusanWindsor said 6 years ago

Really helpful information! Thank you :)

• SusanWindsor said 6 years ago

This is really helpful information. Thank you!

• Elegantcrochets said 6 years ago

Great article! thanks

• crochetgal said 6 years ago

There's nothing like a well written letter to catch the eye of a potential editor or blogger. Be yourself and don't use a 'canned' letter as you want your personality to shine.

• crafts2love said 6 years ago

Takes a lot of courage and confidence in yourself and your product... thanks for the points!

• IrishHillsFarm said 6 years ago

Excellent advice. I approached a local paper with a story I wrote regarding our farm at Christmas time last year, now I write an article every month. I enjoy doing it and getting my name out there has been a terrific boost for my business.

• smilingbluedog said 6 years ago

Helpful & simple tips... Thank you!

• IlluminatedPerfume said 6 years ago

Thank you Amy, this is fantastic and perfect timing as I launch my new perfume.

• SnowFallStudios said 6 years ago

Thanks for this advice. I've never considered pitching my shop... in the past I have just sat back and waited to be found. You've motivated me to spruce up my shop and start being proactive.

• MariaBjork said 6 years ago

cool

• JoDeneMoneuseJewelry said 6 years ago

All great information and ideas to inspire pushing our hand crafted items further! Thanks so much for the advice!

• ThePillowCaseShop said 6 years ago

I'm curious why you suggest embedding a low-resolution photo. As an editor, I have all too often dealt with people who do not understand the high resolution needs of print media, so when I get a pitch that has a lo-res image, I dread the follow-up conversation in which I have to explain to someone what resolution is and why just because an image looks good online doesn't mean it will work in print. That dread often leads me to sticking the pitch at the bottom of my pile.

• ValerieTyler said 6 years ago

Thanks for the simple, concise tips. I've managed to amass a wonderful list of press contacts, I'm just somewhat perplexed by all the pitch possibilities.

• Gardenbonbons said 6 years ago

I met Amy and picked up her book, Recipe For Press, at last summer's Urban Craft Uprising in Seattle. The book provides sensible and achievable ways to catch the media eye. The book is worth having in your library for reference - go buy it!

• janesglassart said 6 years ago

I guess I did not realize we could even do this. Thanks for the information.

• MillerLine said 6 years ago

It is all about being found. And odds are a shop may never be found in the main stream without the help of the press. Great article to shed light on how-to make that first contact. I giggled at the first two tips: get the editor's name correct and read the blog or magazine. Hahaha! Sometimes it is the simplest of things that can make or break an opportunity. Thanks for the clear and concise steps for making that first successful and respectful contact.

• SleepyCatJewelry said 6 years ago

I will be saving this article and revisiting it often. Overall, this article is full of great advice!

• JonShawPaintings said 6 years ago Featured

• vagabondsvintageuk said 6 years ago

Brilliant article! Just the advice I needed as I begin to branch out into the scary world of marketing - thanks : )

• JoJosArtisticDesign said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for providing information on a topic that most of us have no experience. But, as Dana from ThePillowCaseShop, mentioned, too many people don't understand file type or resolution and this might hinder their chances of ever being featured. A few tech pointers are worth researching.

• lilecreations said 6 years ago

I haven't even begun to think about this! But I will now, thank you.

• gboliver said 6 years ago

The key is to always pitch a story, not a product. Writers are always looking for stories. If you give them one, they will come back for more.

• imperfectconceptscom said 6 years ago Featured

• redgarage said 6 years ago

Great insight to a form of marketing that few people understand or think about doing to promote there products,thanks Amy.

• mainewoodsyarn said 6 years ago

3 years ago my work was "found" by a popular knitting magazine. They took pictures of my work & did a nice write up. It was printed in color on page 6 of the magazine. I was expecting a boost in sales but that never happened from the magazine exposure. I still get good sales on Etsy though!

• ThePillowCaseShop said 6 years ago

Yes Jon Shaw and JoJo! I think Jon's suggesting of including a line explaining that you have a hi-res version is a good compromise. I had another editor friend explain that she hated hi-res images in emails because they took forever to load. We realized the big difference was her publication took its own photos while mine used user-submitted photos. So she didn't care about hi-res, while that was very important to me. So I think low-res is OK depending on who you are pitching to, but knowing that hi-res versions would be available would be nice. Also you could include a link to a portfolio site in which hi-res images could be downloaded (obviously not recommended for digital art). Remember the editors don't want to be your pen pal. They love content that is easy to access.

• TrinityCreatesUnique said 6 years ago

I say the more exposure the better. So far, I have been loving Etsy. I think that it is a great community to belong to but outside exposure is great as well. Thank you for the tips. Always love the tips :)

• marygaspar said 6 years ago

Thanks for the info! A timely post as this is exactly what I am targeting right now!

• OxOriginalArtJewelry said 6 years ago

Always need tips like these - and encouragement. Thanks!

• GeorgieGirlLLC said 6 years ago

Great advise, marketing is not my strong point. Thank you for this article, I need to get my stuff together!!!!

• ParisCabinet said 6 years ago

Thanks! Great advice and especially the follow up. Everyone is busy and it's easy to miss a great idea.

• KevinWilliamson said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I never really thought about pitching myself this way. I am pretty lost in terms of knowing what magazines would even be interested in a particular type of work. Any thoughts on that process?

• puci said 6 years ago

Very Good! Thanks much! ~puci

• amandaburwell said 6 years ago

That is so useful.. Will definitely give the above a go... And will let you know how it goes.

• craftiecutie said 6 years ago

I am a craft and hobbies columnist for the Times Herald-Record in the Hudson Valley in New York. Please email me if you are from the Orange, Ulster, Sullivan County area in NY or Pike County Pa. Thank you for putting these tips in they are right on the money. AMY BERKOWITZ aberkowitz@th-record.com

• Dogdohr said 6 years ago

I have a great story to my crafting, not sure who would be really interested in it.

• rarebeasts said 6 years ago

Great ideas.

• nativebear said 6 years ago

Yay, Amy!! This is awesome. I took one of your workshops with Myka Barbato and what I learned is now being applied to my own business. Thanks again! :)

• treeartist said 6 years ago

Great advice! Thank you.

• AmyCuevasSchroeder said 6 years ago

I love reading all the advice from Etsy sellers and journalists. Thanks for the real-world insights.

• ikabags said 6 years ago

Great advice ! Thanks !

• spalenka said 6 years ago

One of the ways to receive press and also create new networks that I teach in my Artist As Brand Workshops and in the Artist As Brand Workbook is to create Blogging Ensembles. Blogging Ensembles pull together several bloggers who all write about a concept or theme and then run their stories at the same time placing links to each other's blogs. This creates a synergy of interest and connects one blogger’s audience with everyone else's. Your blog receives an increase in online traffic and raises your status in the search engines.

• MountainCatTrees said 6 years ago

I've gone after media attention in the past, but it's easy to get complacent. This article has renewed my motivation for reaching out to media! Thanks!

• OrdinaryMommy said 6 years ago

This is so timely for me, as I've made this a priority this year. Thanks so much!

• terreetmontagne said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for all your advices ! First, as I am french, it help me to read english... and it encourage me as I am a very new shop owner, trying to sell my ceramics "TERREetMONTAGNE". Until now I had the hands in clay, the eyes in my mac in the evening, but about pitching....everything has to be made ! thank you very much for your encouragement !

• IlluminatedPerfume said 6 years ago

I agree with @RebeccaMountain, this article has renewed my motivation. I just sent out a bunch of pitches. I love how when they are interested they get back to you within minutes. Thanks again Amy!

• Studio4150 said 6 years ago

Awesome information! Thank you so much!!!

• SummerSaylor said 6 years ago

Hi Lots of great information! I need to get myself out there! Thanks for this. Heather Stillufsen ROSEhill

• EruptPrints said 6 years ago

Thanks for your advice - really timely for me. I especially love the advice of only writing one or two paragraphs - I think that's so important as editors are busy people and don't want to read a novel! I did this recently for the first time to two magazines and actually had a success. One of prints will be in their upcoming issue. One other thing I did was embed an image but on that image was actually three photos. I did this to make it quicker for them to see at a glance, a small range of our work : ) Thanks again

• saladbowl said 6 years ago

Seems like a lot of editors are reading this. Please feel free to contact me about any sustainable living articles. BTW, Wish there was a way to take hi res with my iphone.

• MyFabulousPuppy said 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I'll start to implement right away.

• beachbabyblues said 6 years ago

Amy, Thank you for this lesson .It was very inspirational. The LIGHT BULB just went on for me ! This was easy to read , engaging and made me hungry for more . You took the guess work out getting press and help build my confidence regarding reaching out more . It became obvious that getting press, is not difficult . It is just a matter of doing it correctly. And you encouraged me to just do it and follow through ! Thank you again, Susan

• LaParisLaur said 6 years ago

Great info tips, thank you!

• KapKaDesign said 6 years ago

embedding the image is a great advice. I do that even when I send out newsletters to my subscribers. people are visual and they respond more positively to a nice crisp photo. keep the text short and to the point, no novels. @Dana mentioning a hi-res version is an excellent idea, an editor will know that you are someone that knows about printing requirements.

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

About the high res images. The win-win approach is to make high-res available to media by following a link. But if I see an attachment or if someone has loaded me up with multiple high res images that take forever to open (first thing in the morning...) unfortunately that is how I remember that product/pitch. Editors and bloggers are inundated with queries so you want to catch their eye immediately with a great image that loads quickly! We will know at a glance if it's right for us, which is why that image is so important.

• couponcountry said 6 years ago

Great article Thanks for all the ideas. Bev

• NirvanaRoad said 6 years ago

Content that we all can use!

• nisseworks said 6 years ago

Perfect timing for me - I plan on putting all these tips to use this week. Thanks :)

• AlexsAttic said 6 years ago

Thanks so much, I want to use these tips and get started!!!

• VintageRescueSquad said 6 years ago

As an art director for a newspaper, I have to agree that a clear indication that high-res images ARE available is a must (esp. if the publication will not be taking their own photos). Magazines need 300 DPI, and newspapers need 200 DPI. Always take your photos in raw format at high resolution, and then change them to 72 DPI for online. You never know when you might get "found". I can't tell you how many organizations/businesses never make it into our newspaper because they have cr@ppy photos. You can always like them to a dropbox or Flickr site. Just make sure it's not professional, so they don't have to wade through your vacation pix too. Don't neglect local outlets! Pitch to your college/university alumni magazine. Pitch to your local city magazine and newspaper. Our local paper did an article at Christmas featuring 5 local etsians for gift ideas. Local newspapers love "local girl makes good" stories. Regional bridal magazines, home magazines, style sections of newspapers, etc. are all good places to start.

• jackiematelski said 6 years ago

thank you, always good to know where to concentrate time and energy.

• eyestylez said 6 years ago

Perfect timing! I've pondered this for the past month, trying to figure out the best way to reach out to press, even asking some of my friends who are PR & media professionals. And I never seem to get the right answer because I sell vintage clothing as opposed to new or handmade products, the advice just wasn't suited to my business. I decided to just go with my gut instinct and just shoot editors emails about my shop with links to my shop. And based on this article, that was the right thing to do!! And I've received positive responses from the editors! :)

• 118jan said 6 years ago

Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

• IntheMoodforVintage said 6 years ago

Thank you Amy. That was very generous of you to share all the great press knowledge with us. I'm going to purchase your book and add it to my library of great minds.

• 60sDaughter said 6 years ago

Amazing advice! Thank you Amy!!! i have made my notes and will begin my marketing...:)

• LaNomRahDesigns said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing these fantastic tips. Insider tips are the best, and much appreciated. Thanks for sharing!

• TravelersPassage said 6 years ago

So helpful, thank you!

• Fussiepanda said 6 years ago

Thanks, now I get it! If you want to be seen, show yourself.

• PattieJansen said 6 years ago

Um...what's the difference between "embedding" and "attaching"? (And with this question she reveals that she has no clue and OBVIOUSLY has never pitched online in her life...)

• TenOfHearts said 6 years ago

Great tips, thanks

• FreshRetroGallery said 6 years ago

If you're embedding a low res image, make sure you tell them that a high res image is available upon request. Embedded, low res images are a pain for print publishers. They'd rather have high res of reasonable size.

• bebymarcy said 6 years ago

I need to get on this ASAP! Thanks so much for the intel!

• ChildrenWithPaws said 6 years ago

WoW, thanks so much! I better plan on some back up help ! So informative, gotta get started!

• ElegantRoseBoutique said 6 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful tips and inspiration!

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

If you embed an image into the email, the photo is part of the email and able to be viewed right when you open it up. If you attach an image, the receiver has to them open or download the attachment.

• YearsAfter said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing this important information!

• ginasart8 said 6 years ago

Thank you Etsy for a game plan. I have already been featured in Grainger Today a local newspaper and was thrilled when my views on etsy tripled from February to March. Now April, and people are still looking even more. It pays to get coverage. Thanks etsy! gh

• sacassell said 6 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful advice!

• rickytalmage said 6 years ago

Just what I needed! Great article at a great time. I have an idea of how to reach my local paper and not a clue as how to approach them. Thanks!

• alinamahdi said 6 years ago

Great advice.Thanks alot for the post!

• BabiAnjel said 6 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

• ValsArtStudio said 6 years ago

Another reason why I feel etsy is the best online shop experience around. Thank you for this useful information and interesting content. This too, is on my list for the year ahead! x, Val

• TylerKingston said 6 years ago

Amy-thank you for this post. It's some of the most useful info. we've come across!

• Engravablecreations said 6 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful tips Amy!

• RameOttone said 6 years ago

Love this! I'm definitely sharing on my FB page... I post a lot of press opportunities for artists there and probably not enough about how to take advantage of the opportunities! I'm glad to see someone laying out very simple directions, too. A lot of the articles about PR for artisans are complicated and confusing or don't give anywhere near enough direction.

• BeadLady74 said 6 years ago

Great tips! It never occurred to me to contact an editor. As a new shop owner with ONE purchase under her belt, I have to say I am a little intimidated. It's not that I don't want to promote my shop or my goods, but I am a little off on timing. Does anyone know how to promote a shop primarily geared toward Christmas gift giving? I make one-of-a-kind beaded ornaments, very select jewelry pieces, and custom embroidery. I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I love the support on Etsy! Thank you all so much!

• WriteHere said 6 years ago

Thanks Amy for all this great info. Just purchased a copy of Recipe For Press. I have just spent the last hour or so reading all the comments. For anyone who needs a tip on embedding or attaching - follow the link - hope it helps. http://www.ehow.com/how_5771466_insert-email-vs_-attaching-files.html#ixzz2RLVkkQgZ

• justplainjane said 6 years ago

Thanks for the hints!

• ionesAttic said 6 years ago

yes, start local with your hometown paper or specialty magazine! @Kevin Williamson I would suggest several publications for your product from a woodworker's magazine to sustainable arts and crafts magazine. With your product names like Tranquil Curves and Solar System, think Yoga, NewAge etc...good luck!

• JanaMilly said 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips. This is something I have set as a long-term goal for myself.

• makemesmilejewelry said 6 years ago

thank you amy...great article...very helpful

• SportyPearls said 6 years ago

Great tips and great motivation to get the shop in tip-top shape. If anyone knows of any outlets/editors in the Jacksonville FL area that would be interested in sports team colored pearl jewelry please let me know! Thanks!

• MyLiLBoutiqueEtc said 6 years ago

How cool would THAT be!!!

• KailaTheArtHut said 6 years ago

Great article. Thanks very much. Here I go:-)))

• MinervasTemple said 6 years ago

Great advice, but would love some direction on how to source the all important Editors blog e-mail contact...I must be overlooking something?

• naturallyme5 said 6 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I've just opened my new Mom and me co-op store on Etsy and this advice will really come in handy!

• giselaandzoevintage said 6 years ago

i need to put this advice to use!

• arpglassdesigns said 6 years ago

Great advice, I feel ready to pitch my shop now. Thank you for sharing as it does seem daunting approaching press for the first time.

• jentekruijsen said 6 years ago

Very helpful. Thank you! It's a bit scary to contact editors but how amazingly great would it be to be featured in a magazine?!

• KarenBrown said 6 years ago

Food for thought. Giving it some now. x

• motedesign said 6 years ago

nice! Thanks for sharing this one, just what i needed now to get on!

• LyckeB said 6 years ago

Thank you! This is awesome!

• BelaineBags said 6 years ago

Thank you. great tips.

• studiosuseela said 6 years ago

Thank's Amy! I will start with it today :)

• byvala said 6 years ago

Very helpful, thank you!

• lisainnis1 said 6 years ago

Thank you for this wonderful information! I will be putting it to use : )

• Bostonstclair said 6 years ago

really helpful! Thanks :)

• underneaththeoaktree said 6 years ago

These are really helpful and interesting tips. I'll admit pitching wasn't something I had thought about before, and I think I have a lot of work to do before I start, but this is definitely something to think about for the future.

• MikiBenShushan said 6 years ago

Hi Everyone, I read this brilliant article which got me thinking about marketing my Etsy store. I am from Israel and I would like to get leading fashion bloggers and editors from around the world write on my products/store. I do not have the knowledge of where to get a list of leading fashion bloggers and editors. Does anyone can help me with that? or give me a tip how to find them? Thanks everyone!

• meropisart said 6 years ago

thank you great tips!!

• meropisart said 6 years ago

great article thanks

• SugarSugarScrub said 6 years ago

Does anyone know what magazines are willing to feature etsy artists?

• cindychan3 said 6 years ago

Thank you very helpful tips!

• FeteSetter said 6 years ago

Great information. Thank you for sharing this.....Gives us lots to think about!

• TheArtofMichelle said 6 years ago

pitching to bloggers has made ALL the difference for me. and i learned everything i know about how to pitch from etsy articles like this one! one more tip- practice makes perfect. writing a compelling pitch isn't easy, but the more you write them, the better you'll be!

• amkleinhofmeijer said 6 years ago

Thank you very much Amy, for this very clear and helpful article, It encourages to set the next step. But like Miki Ben Shusan and Lindsey Bricker I still have to find the right bloggers magazines and editors. I'm from the Netherlands and live and work in Spain. I have an etsy shop for clothes design Aqcouture and another etsy shop KleinManzanoArt together with my partner in crime Cosé Manzano. If anyone has any tip for us we would be most grateful. Thanks to all!

• kroksg said 6 years ago

I am definitely going to take this to heart once I get some more items in my shop! I do run a blog, so I know what it's like to get inquiries from people wanting to be on the blog. Sometimes I have to turn them down, but I've learned from that as well what it takes to be asking the right questions.

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

So true, Michelle! Once you "get it" you have to make the time to do it and when you begin to get the hang of thinking like an editor and anticipating what they are looking for, the practice becomes more like a fun exercise!

• FaeryKissNaturals said 6 years ago

I needed help with this. Thank you so much!

• JanFairhurstPottery said 6 years ago

This is excellent. Thank you!

• terrirhall said 6 years ago

Great tips! Thanks!

• flynnjanet said 6 years ago

This article was extremely helpful, as I had no clue where to go in print. Thanks also to all the editors and computer savvy sellers out there who gave their feedback as to what works and what doesn't. This will be the next step for me!

• sinoera said 6 years ago

Very great tips!

• hoosiermamma1 said 6 years ago

I had never thought much about marketing my crocheted items outside of Etsy. Now, you have me thinking about the possibilities. Thank you for the insite.

• shabbyone said 6 years ago

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing this info.

• GabriellasTreasures said 6 years ago

Thank You - Thank You - great information!!

• CharmingShopLove said 6 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips! I figure contacting blogs or cross-promotion is my next step in getting shop recognition and I truly appreciate pointers. It's hard to know which direction to go in sometimes, and Etsy always seems to have the right answers. Thanks again!

• TeeToters said 6 years ago

I enjoy RichMomBusiness.com! Renae Christine is a fantastic, smart business woman. She's just published her first book, she does product reviews, Mom business shout outs (via her FB page & Youtube) and shares valuable Mompreneur advice. Check her out here on etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/RichMomBusiness and at her site richmombusiness.com.

• cujicoo said 6 years ago

Great info, going to try and apply them all in my business!

• Iammie said 6 years ago

Good tips! Thanks!

• DarLite said 6 years ago

I am really inspired by Amy's advice, I had not even considered the possibility of doing that type of publicity. As soon as I finish setting up my shop, I will start giving your ideas my serious attention. Thanks so much!

• dianebabin1 said 6 years ago

Persistence pays off.

• Booop said 6 years ago

Thank you for adding the part about embedding your pictures in your emails instead of attaching. Then, there is no question of whether or not they saw all of your info. (unless of course they didn't open the email at all) I will definitely be doing a few follow up emails with these tips. Thank you for this.

• wanluduan said 6 years ago

Great tips! Thank you for sharing!!

• dianeborgmann said 6 years ago

Thanks Amy, I have not thought of that idea as a way to get my shop noticed. I agree with Su San Wagner when she said that getting the press doesn't seam difficult but to do it correctily is what I will need to work on. Very inspirational.

• CharmiosHandmade said 6 years ago

Great advice, thanks for posting. I have taken the overall approach that if I share others work and comment on blog posts that truly inspire me and are tied to what we make by hand and sell, our growth will be slow but steady and that always wins the race...smiles!

• melissahager said 6 years ago

This is great info, thanks for sharing! I've sent a couple of emails to editors and need to follow up. I'll make sure to keep these ideas in the back of my head when doing future requests.

• AlongCameMary said 6 years ago

The Etsy Conversations Podcast interviews interesting and diverse creativepreneurs from the Etsy community, who are working with an eye towards preserving cultural heritage and tradition in their practice. Original, creative-minded shopkeepers who are successfully pursuing self-management, self-marketing, and self-financing while keeping environmental and economically sustainability in mind, are highly desired for the podcast interview. Please contact me through my shop AlongCameMary or come to the podcast's facebook fan page: Etsy Conversations Podcast on etsy. The Etsy Conversations Podcast is a private endeavor not produced or connected officially in any way with Etsy. Thanks, Mary

• CraftyMcClever said 6 years ago

great advice I think it is important to get involved in the community and online to get your name or shop out there but also represent yourself as an artist.

• maryannosborn said 6 years ago

Thank you for the great advice! :)

• fairladyfashions said 6 years ago

Great advice. I'm excited to try this out!

• Winterowls said 6 years ago

Wonderful advice, I've been wanting to do this but have been a little intimidated. Amy's words plus others makes me feel like I could do this!

• cheekyleopard said 6 years ago

This is great advice, thanks so much for sharing!

• judycardwell said 6 years ago

great ideas...thanks. so much info,,,so little time!!

• pouch said 6 years ago

Gaining press is the one thing I struggle with most...I can make lots of products, but if noone can find me, then I'm not reaching my full potential. Everytime I have had a feature in a magazine or blog, it's had a big impact on my shop. I guess finding the time to dedicate yourself to making pitches can really pay off...it's just finding the time!!

• Sleepwellfamily said 6 years ago

Thank you! I am a new seller and it's a rough start! This post is a big help ~ thanks again!

• Softshellbodyshop said 6 years ago

Thanks! Just the kick in the pants I need to get moving on this! Great informative article, and the comments are filled with advise too!

• BlackberryPrairie said 6 years ago

Lots of good advice & being ready for prime time is serious work. I have read articles in major magazines about people with Etsy shops & gone to take a look. One shop wasn't even open yet & another only had 8 items. Made me wonder how they were ever selected in the first place.

• oyakara said 6 years ago

Good advice. Finding the right reporter is one of the keys. Most publications offer a list of staff and what they concentrate on.

• PetiteFraise said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for this useful tips!

• learpo said 6 years ago

I will definitely try to find time to follow your advice. I think this is one of the ways to be well know!

• PinkCatApparel said 6 years ago

Thank you for the tips! This is very helpful. Thank you. Pink

• peacependant said 6 years ago

These are all such helpful tips! There's a new Australia-based online magazine called Whim Online Magazine that is always looking to feature vintage fashion or art so pitching to them would most likely get you featured: whimonline.blogspot.com

• MyFabulousPuppy said 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips! Perfect timing.

• kmtcapecod said 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I need to read this today. This was very helpful. Thanks again... Karen

• handworkstudio said 6 years ago

Very Informative. Thank You!

• halliefranco said 6 years ago

I've never made a pitch for my product to be in an article, this helps to push me in the right direction! Thanks a million!

• leconiedesign said 6 years ago

thanks for the tips. i have been in etsy for so long and made no headway for my products... i hope to be pushing in the right directs. thanks connie

• truformjewelry said 6 years ago

I was really fortunate to have just had my story featured in the local paper - on a Saturday no less!! Not only did they cover my story very well, they also included 2 fantastic product shots. I have received so much positive response to the article, it's a little overwhelming. I have now also been approached by another local paper also wanting to run a story. I met the initial editor at a trade show in January. Remember - ALWAYS present yourself in a professional manner -- you never know who you might be talking to!! I did, and it's paid itself over and over again.

• smishko11 said 6 years ago

Informative and thanks for the tips.

• Attractive1 said 6 years ago

Thanks a lot! Try to do it!

• danielledriscoll said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for this great tips. I have a blog too and I'm trying to figure out this process of sponsorship and press. Thank you!

• Stylishgivings said 6 years ago

Love it! really good tips

• bebymarcy said 6 years ago

One of the issues I've had with bloggers is that they often seem like they just want free stuff. Is that the name of the game? Thanks for the advice!

• SHM2013 said 6 years ago

These helpful tips should get us started on unfamiliar territory! Thanks!!

• kkpwdesigns said 6 years ago

Good advice, I think the question that most often comes up for me is how to locate and get the contact information for editors?

• OceanPoppy said 6 years ago

Great tips! Always appreciate the support Etsy provides *:O)

• tomsgrossmami said 6 years ago

Thank you for the helpful and interesting advices.

• danlandrum said 6 years ago

Amy, any magic wands for finding the blogs best suited to your products to pitch to? How can you tell how successful they are and if their readership is your target audience? Are there reliable blog reviewers out there that help narrow the search.

• amyflurry said 6 years ago

There's no magic wand, Dan, but one shortcut is to ask yourself, "what are my buyers reading?" Similarly, ask clients what they read and then follow the blog rolls on those sites and study them. The idea is to get your product into the publications that your audience reads! There are sites like this one, http://www.signature9.com/style-99, that rank the most influential blogs in certain areas and then you would go through them and study and see if a) they report on products like yours and b) if yours looks like a good fit. Often the online sites of the magazines that you want to see your product in are a great first place to pitch. There's a little more room for what goes up online and it is an entry to the magazine and to a relationship with the magazine editor.