What I Saw at Hello Etsy

Mar 29, 2013

by Karen Brown

What can you say about a business conference that features a Bhakti monk, a doctor who makes house calls, a DIY drone maker, and a cognitive psychologist who works with monkeys? Only this: You must be at Hello Etsy.

Top it off with America’s cutest jazz combo, a slew of creative workshops, and a sold-out house of very active makers, and I’m pretty sure it was the most unique event in New York on March 22-24.

Clare McGibbon

Eric Beug

The Blue Vipers welcome attendees.

“Being CEO of Etsy is the biggest privilege of my life,” said Chad Dickerson as he kicked off the event Friday evening. He talked about the human side of business and recognizing that our obligations to each other and the planet shouldn’t change inside corporate walls. “We are challenging the notion that people can’t come first in business.”

From sharing the story of Charlie Chaplin’s 1936 movie Modern Times, a satire about hopelessness for a future where man is enslaved by machine, to Gandhi’s belief in “production by the masses, not mass production,” to the stories of Etsy sellers around the globe, Chad described a world where the “people-powered economy” Etsy is creating isn’t just about commercial activity, but about the humanity involved in making a life, not just a living.

I believe that today we are moving from the era of Chaplin’s impersonal, dehumanized work into a new world where spending time with people you care about, quality of life, and making money can all be connected under a new way of doing business. We’re in the early stages of re-humanized work, and the new industrial revolution is bringing people back to the forefront. Let’s make business more personal, more beautiful, and more joyful.

Then, in a performance that can only be described as athletic, Jeremy Rifkin skipped the stage altogether and worked the main floor of the auditorium. He described a third industrial revolution, where authority is no longer top-down, but networked and peer-to-peer, with power literally and figuratively distributed.

Chad and Jeremy established two themes that flowed through many talks in the days that followed: the emergence of non-hierarchical, networked business structures — including all manner of formal and informal sharing — and love, including love of one’s work and love for one another.

Eric Beug

Etsy Admin Dana conducts a panel on reimagining work.

Sharing and love? Is that any way to run a business? After a couple days at Hello Etsy, I think maybe it could be. Here are a few highlights of how those themes played out in the events that followed.

On Saturday morning, Yale primate researcher Dr. Laurie Santos stopped the show with “Overcoming Your Monkey Mind,” an investigation into why we make bad decisions. Her video of Monkey A flinging food at a researcher who consistently gave a tastier treat to Monkey B left us howling, reminding us that fairness is not an abstract concept, but is viscerally felt.

We heard from Jay Parkinson, MD, who is developing a new model for medicine. Employees on the service can schedule an appointment on the Sherpaa website, and a doctor will show up for a house call! You can follow up by Skype or email as often as you want, throughout your entire professional relationship. Jay had compelling data to suggest that when doctor and patient know each other well, good health is fostered and cost is reduced.

Eric Beug

Chris Anderson talks about the new industrial revolution.

A major highlight of the conference was Saturday night’s speakers’ dinner at Etsy. On entering Etsy’s offices, I felt the way Elvis fans probably feel when they visit Graceland for the first time. I loved the handmade desks, the yarn-bombed heating ducts, and the solid conversation I had with Josh Wise, Etsy’s office ecologist. The food was delicious and the setting cozy with handmade napkins and dozens of personal touches. We were joined by the fabulous designer Eileen Fisher, whose daughter, Sasha, had suggested she attend Hello Etsy.

On Sunday morning, Michelle Long, Executive Director of the Business Alliance of Local Living Economies, gave a truly heartfelt talk on “entrepreneurs in love.” The best way to create lasting change, she said, is to establish a safe place outside the dominant system and model something new. What’s most important? How we treat each other. She quoted Gary Snyder: “Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there.”

I spoke that day, too, on sustainable patterns of living, and showed some vital connections we enjoy but might not always think about, like our connections to agriculture, as so many of Etsy’s beautiful items reveal.

Majora Carter described the pitfalls of urban revitalization, which often tends to gentrify neighborhoods and displace people, or reinforce poverty through subsidized housing. She introduced the fascinating concept of a “hinge” — a concentrated project that can swing a whole neighborhood in a better direction, providing its residents with the reasons and the means to stay.

Eric Beug

Clare McGibbon

Jessica from MiniatureRhino learns the eco-printing technique of bundle dyeing.

That afternoon, the Pratt campus blossomed with workshops on everything from how to start an Etsy shop, to how to get funding, and how to stretch and prime a canvas.

So what did I get from Hello Etsy? I made some new friends. I heard some genuinely engaging concepts — I mean, sign me up for those house calls, Dr. Parkinson. But most of all, I was struck with how unique and unprecedented it all was. I had spent the weekend with a group of adults who talked about love and sharing, freedom and respect, making a living and making a difference. If this is the future of business, you had me at Hello.

3 Featured Comments

• chenreichert

Chen Reichert from lategreats said 6 years ago Featured

I really enjoyed your talk Karen! I also had an incredible time at Hello Etsy! I have a notebook full of inspiring quotes, facts, and ideas and a stack of business cards from all of the amazing people I met. The highlight for me was getting to chat with fellow "craftrepreneurs" about the challenges of our business and how we can support eachother as members of a community instead of being competitors. It was a major love fest!

• TNTees

TNTees from TNTees said 6 years ago Featured

Thank you Karen for sharing!! I, too,had an amazing experience at Hello Etsy. There was an underlying theme of community & passion all weekend long and rally to foster these types of environments that'll challenge the status quo. I'm grateful to be a part of this movement to reinvent the 'traditional' marketplace, shift our mindsets to sustainable patterns of living, and most importantly recognize the value of being fundamentally human.

• andiespecialtysweets

Jason and Andie from andiespecialtysweets said 6 years ago Featured

This is excellent, Karen! It's very exciting to watch so many start-ups blossom from one start-up (Etsy) that has facilitated us all. We are always encouraged to hear increased emphasis being put on a return to the independent localized market. And the return of house calls?? Count us in!

• gatewayalpha

Fabian and Nicoleta from GatewayAlpha said 6 years ago

WOW! I was blown away by this article! Although new at Etsy, still trying to navigate through the hurdles of creating, from concept to execution, to marketing and promoting, being responsible for our products from the beginning to end is a new and exciting experience. “Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there.” We think we have found our place on the planet and, while still digging, we are proud to say "We created this!' Thank you Etsy for allowing us to say "Hello!" to the world!

• compassionmalas

Laura from compassionmalas said 6 years ago

Just amazing.

• dahliasoleil

Paulette from dahliasoleil said 6 years ago

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn some new ways to approach running a business.Hope they have more in the future.

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 6 years ago

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 6 years ago

Wow...amazing!

• blainedesign

Karen Brown from blainedesign said 6 years ago

In addition to talks, there were interactive workshops in each session, including an inspiring series of exercises by Dr. LeeAnn Renninger on Sustainable Enthusiasm, and April Rinne on how you may be richer than you realize-- and I mean financially richer, as in real money. For pure charm, a nod needs to go to Stuart Wallace of The New Economics Foundation, who flew in from England and upped the wonderfulness quotient all around. Lovely.

• SouthernBelleOOAK

Lynn from SouthernBelleOOAK said 6 years ago

crochetgal from crochetgal says: Extremely inspiring! I'd really enjoy it if "Hello Etsy" could be brought around the world so many many more could take part! *********************************************************** Sounds Fantastic and I agree with crochetgal. Wouldn't that be something!

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 6 years ago

Wish I could've been there to partake. It sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing with us!

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading said 6 years ago

Tee hee i see myself in the audience listening very intently ...it was a very enlightening 3days!

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 6 years ago

I would have loved to have been there♥

• orangeandgray

Kristina Marie from TheRuthAndPearl said 6 years ago

It sounds like it was a very inspiring time/place. Thank you for sharing with us. I especially like the emphasis on sharing and love.

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 6 years ago

Wow!!

• chenreichert

Chen Reichert from lategreats said 6 years ago Featured

• buffalogirls

Ludmilla from buffalogirls said 6 years ago

Sounds like a great opportunity to enlighten community. Would love to be there, perhaps when Etsy ventures into the Wild Wild West we here on the other coast get a taste. For now we can just read and imagine.

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 6 years ago

I really wish I could have been there. Sounds like it was incredibly inspiring; and to be in a room filled with like minded people would only add to that inspiration. I hope it branches out from NY to other cities, some day.

• memckeen

LovelySquid from LovelySquid said 6 years ago

This sounds great! Was it documented so those of us unable to attend, whether for financial reasons or distance, may benefit? Like a TED talk, for instance.

• glowgirl16

Deb Christian from glowgirl16 said 6 years ago

I thought about getting up there, and delayed a decision - and again missed out on what looks like a VERY great get together. Thanks for the recap, it sounds like a place I would really enjoyed being part of.. Next time....!!!

• filecutter

Joyce and Tony from filecutter said 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing, can't wait until they make it to Texas.

• FallenAngelBrass

Karen and Tina from FallenAngelBrass said 6 years ago

The first Hello Etsy was in Berlin, so it began as an international effort. There have also been Hello Etsy weekends with simultaneous meetings world wide. This latest Hello Etsy just happened to take place in New York.

• PyxusPassionProject

Michelle Maynard from SimonesRoseBoutique said 6 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing! Its great to hear about the event and get a little inspiration going!

• persevero

Sara Gepp from SOcloseTOtheEARTH said 6 years ago

Thank you for this!! What a fun and inspiring thing to do. I wish the presentations were on you tube. I would like to hear about their business philosophy. Thanks again!!

• SolDelSur

Soledad Proaño from SolDelSur said 6 years ago

This is so very inspiring, yes. I hope I had been there but most of all, I hope I can always think of this as the only possible way to construct happiness and a fulfilling life.

• fernfiddlehead

Fern from fernfiddlehead said 6 years ago

I was there! I found it inspiring as well but was struck by the disconnect between etsy's perceived image and the etsy that I've come to known as allowing resellers and an etsy that disarms handmade shops' attempts at exposure.

• renphotographycouk

ren a from renphotographycouk said 6 years ago

I agree. Hello Etsy should deffo go to more places. To London as well ;-)

• deodorantshop

Deodorant Shop from deodorantshop said 6 years ago

So inspiring! IN LOVE =)

• TNTees

TNTees from TNTees said 6 years ago Featured

• acanthusjd

Joan from acanthusjd said 6 years ago

Please plan a tour to France, I have some spare beds!!

• amylburns

Amy L Burns from AmyLBurns said 6 years ago

Sounds like a fantastic conference! Thank you for giving us a glimpse of what went on and what you got from your experience. :)

• daeschek

Kimberly Daeschel from AnUnfamiliarRing said 6 years ago

Great article, thanks for sharing for those who couldn't be there!

• andiespecialtysweets

Jason and Andie from andiespecialtysweets said 6 years ago Featured

• lovegeek

Mads Allen from lovegeek said 6 years ago

Great story Karen! It is so exciting to see what's happening at Etsy HQ, and great to see the philosophy in action.

• HairAccents

Charm Accents from CharmAccents said 6 years ago

It is a very heartwarming concept that I hope will continue to bring about all the love and respect to each other that mankind has to offer.

• odilebeniflah

Odile Beniflah said 6 years ago

Thank you Karen for such a great summary of an incredible week-end. Your presentation was so beautiful; I don't ever want to buy anywhere else but on Etsy! I loved every single speaker but especially Charles Eisenstein, who talked about communities as a place where people need each other.

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 6 years ago

Magnificent event! Thank you Etsy!

• aressa

aressa from OriginalBridalHanger said 6 years ago

I wish I could attend events like these...How inspiring..!!

• AmityUK Admin

Amity from AmityUK said 6 years ago

Papped! :) It was a fantastic weekend. Rasanath Dasa was the highlight for me.

• deGlaswerkplaats

Ton Verdegaal from deGlaswerkplaats said 6 years ago

Thank you so much for reporting this event. First people came from all over the world to my shop in Amsterdam and now I can bring my products to them wherever. Now indeed I have to learn more about this medium (I've just shared) and start communicating and learn more about it. This report will help, so thnx again Karen.

• valeriephoto

Valerie from valeriestitchery said 6 years ago

Thanks, Karen, for this thoughtful and thorough recap for those of us who couldn't make it. It looks like the event was a success, and really valuable to the Etsy community.

• ButchersBroom

Butcher's Broom from BUTCHERSBROOM said 6 years ago

►HELLO KAREN, THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US THIS EVENT. BY READING, I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THE WORLD IN WHICH I BELIEVE IS NOT THAT FAR AWAY!◄ I WOULD ONLY ADD THIS... I wish to speak a word for Nature, for absolute freedom and wildness, as contrasted with a freedom and culture merely civil; to regard man as an inhabitant, or a part and parcel of Nature, rather than a member of society. (Walking, Henry David Thoreau) Good light, _BB_

• blainedesign

Karen Brown from blainedesign said 6 years ago

BB, I absolutely hear you! I started my talk with the old model of a food chain -- very industrial and linear -- and contrasted it with a diagram of how relationships among creatures actually exist in nature, in their complexity, beauty, connectedness, and completeness. When you think about it, most of the problems in the world –– including climate disruptions, pollution, energy issues, economic instability, and inequity –– can all be traced to how we have addressed material culture. Can a "handmade" economy help us to transition to a more sustainable, fair, and humane balance? A lot of my attention right now is focused on that question.

• ButchersBroom

Butcher's Broom from BUTCHERSBROOM said 6 years ago

►I THINK SO. I BELIEVE IT IS TIME TO GO BACK AND REDISCOVER THE BEAUTY OF THE MOON◄

• CraftyReese

Ana from AmorCraft said 6 years ago

• itscutevintage

Christy from pastoria said 6 years ago

This looks like an amazing event! I wish I could have made it.

• ReversedRainstorm

Kristen Paige from ReversedRainstorm said 6 years ago

Awesome! I wish I could have gone!

• ValeriaFast

Valeria Fast from ValeriaFastJewelry said 6 years ago

Amazing !! I wish I could have gone, but I´m very far from NY!!

• nicholsdelorisjean

deloris . nichols from RodelQuiltStudio said 6 years ago

It was intersing. Wiswh I could been there.

• blueroompottery

Marietta from blueroompottery said 6 years ago

Oh, I see myself in a photo of the audience, how fun is that? I loved attending the conference! It was very insightful and I came away feeling that I have a second family in ETSY! I was so happy to hear how Chad values family businesses and to see how much care is put into our well being! I really enjoyed meeting you Karen and your presentation! Thank you all! xox

• eileenblodgett

Eileen Blodgett from EileenBlodgettArt said 6 years ago

I'll be looking for one of these events on the west coast- sounds fantastic!

• StoneznStix

Tiffany Whipps from TiffanyAnneStudios said 6 years ago

Sounds amazing! Are videos posted?

• wendykates

Wendy Kates from StarlightMemories said 6 years ago

Yes, This is the future of business!

• CameronsJewelryBox

Eula from CameronsJewelryBox said 6 years ago

So awesome!

• LuluStone

LuluStone from LuluStone said 6 years ago

Interesting recap, but as long as it remains a physical event in a far-off location it benefits very few of us. Is there anywhere the majority of us can see the event online?

• sexybohemian

Sarah Boheme from SexyBohemian said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I wish there was some way to tune-in and watch the seminars online.

• jodiburton

Jodi Lynn Burton from JodiLynnDoodles said 6 years ago

Fantastic event! So Glad I got to take part in this. Thank you Etsy!

• julimorrison

Julianna from StRitas said 6 years ago

Sharing and love should be the way of all business. If it was, then we would treat others as we want to be treated and business practices would be just and moral.

• julimorrison

Julianna from StRitas said 6 years ago

Sharing and love should be the way of all business. If it was, then we would treat others the way we want to be treated and business practices would be just and moral.

• FreshRetroGallery

Elizabeth Knaus from FreshRetroGallery said 6 years ago

Thanks for keeping us connected and helping us grow.

• LaNomRahDesigns

La NomRah from LaNomRahDesigns said 6 years ago

Bummed that I missed this, but I am looking forward to being at the next one in NYC. Sounds like a wealth of info was being shared.

• ronaldjuliet

Ronald Juliet from RonaldJuliet said 6 years ago

I love this sentence : "Let’s make business more personal, more beautiful, and more joyful." I really think we're plugging into that new era and I'm joyful to be part of it... So inspiring ! Thank you !

• rjallen77

richard allen from Allenscraftcreations said 6 years ago

Sounds like this was a event that everyone enjoyed and will benefit from. Wish we could have been there!

• rjallen77

richard allen from Allenscraftcreations said 6 years ago

Wish we could have been there! Sounds like this event was enjoying and a informative event for all members who attention it!

• WyckoffSmith

Michele Wyckoff-Smith from WyckoffSmith said 6 years ago

Please do something like this in the UK,! Will you be sharing the talks in an on-line lab? Please, please, please?

• passaveenoicharoen

PASSAVEE NOICHAREON from DESYSHOP said 6 years ago

Hello Karen Brown thank you so much!! for sharing message to me and it's very useful for me and everyone known this.Thanks again for keeping us connected

• skyvalleygems

skyvalleygems from skyvalleygems said 6 years ago

Great article, thanks for sharing. However I am kinda baffled about the hype that is put out there are how caring Etsy is with the artisans . He talked about the human side of business and recognizing that our obligations to each other and the planet shouldn’t change inside corporate walls. “We are challenging the notion that people can’t come first in business.” He talked about the human side- well we the humans that make this site are more than willing to talk about much needed improvements and problems and nothing is done. Our obligation to the planet shouldn't change inside corporate walls-well with the rampant resellers from foreign lands, and the promotion of such shops sure doesn't help the carbon footprint for the planet. Don't get me wrong I love and support Etsy but there is a huge disconnect from what the say and what they do. Everything to do with Etsy has come down to money these are the corporate decisions they have made.

• xcbx

Christine Bipulprasad from AROMATICB said 6 years ago

Wow, I always dream with my husband and kids talking of the American and world traveling we will be doing in the future with regards to my Aromatic Body and Bath Products. Wish that comes true by the next Hello Etsy conference. It's so amazing to know we are all part of this better world! Love you All!

• learpo

Leonor from ethnicadornment said 6 years ago

I would have loved to be there!! Very good resumé for all of us who live too far away. Thanks!!!

• dyeing2meetU

Idy from dyeing2meetU said 6 years ago

Thank you Karen for sharing your experience: it's lively and inspiring!

• meropisart

Meropi Toumbas from MeropisArtJewelry said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing! So inspiring!!!

• Savvon
  • Sooziem

Soozie from BelleAtelierJewelry said 6 years ago

Fabulous...I envy those of you who attended. Great article, and thanks for the inspiration. Soozie

• misabelmaduro

Isabel Maduro from misabelmaduro said 6 years ago

Thanks for giving us a small sample os what has been going on. It is so inspiring! Isabel

• MosaicGumbo

Ruth B from MosaicGumbo said 6 years ago

This is my first article from Etsy via email-very inspiring.:)

• sesibon

Nata Gurevich from sesibon said 6 years ago

Inspiring! Thank you Karen for the feeling of belonging! Every single day Etsy and Etsians prove to me that business and inspiration belong together!

• yarrow50

Patdak from AgelessDesire said 6 years ago

Very Interesting !! All newbies need mentors and info.

• divinecartomancy

Bren from PsychicBren said 6 years ago

This is a wonderful article. It has given me more insight into how the minds of Etsy...owners and or C.E.O. operate. I have always had this type of feeling since I have started Etsy. The Feeling of Supporting one another. Its been here for me since Day One. Its very encouraging, especially when your a beginner and would like the Views and the Sales that your so patiently waiting for. I have enjoyed Etsy's so Much that I have started my Own team to help others increase the success of their Etsy Shops. It feels great to support one another, after all being Financially Independent as Etsy Shop Owners is what were all striving for....Right? For me its our hope, anyway. Thank you for sharing this article, I am going to share it with my Team members and I will pin it, twitter it , and place it on Facebook. Thank you. Divine.

• divinecartomancy

Bren from PsychicBren said 6 years ago

This is a very inspiring story, I have pinned it an placed in on Twitter and on Facebook plus I shared it with My Team. I have always enjoyed Etsy and I have always enjoyed the support that I have felt along the way. I have been inspired so much so, that I have even gone as far as starting my own Team so that I can help others succeed on Etsy. Thank You for sharing this article. Divine.

• divinecartomancy

Bren from PsychicBren said 6 years ago

I posted twice, because I didn't see my first post. Thank you, Divine.

• SHM2013

Silvia from MarinaBosettiDesigns said 6 years ago

Any chance that this event was recorded?

• susansphotoart

Susan Stone from susansphotoart said 6 years ago

This was a truly energizing read. I can't wait to get to my computer and list more work.

• ThePassionatePearl

Jeanne Costello from ThePassionatePearl said 6 years ago

thanks so much

• mix2match

olga volgin from mix2match said 6 years ago

thank you for sharing!!

• julespalms

Jules Palms from JulesBags said 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing ... It sounds like it was an incredible adventure ...

• debragalbo

Debra Galbo from HowCuteAreYou said 6 years ago

Sounds like an incredible event. I love the support that Etsy offers. We profit, Etsy profits, it's a win win situation.

• rickytalmage

Ricky Talmage from PeysterStreet said 6 years ago

To think I was at my eleven year old's umpteenth hockey game of the season! I wish I could have been there. Any chance it was videotaped and will soon be available on Etsy?!

• SaltyandSweet

Andrea L. from SaltyandSweet said 6 years ago

I traveled from Montana for this and it was worth the trek. I came away from it inspired and ready to make my next steps in my business. Will there be a post-mortem survey sent to participants? I'd love to give feedback.

• Ntoys

John Nickerson from Ntoys said 6 years ago

Amazing!!! Nice article :)

• anordicrose

virginie lykins from anordicrose said 6 years ago

Wish ETSY would organise events in Scandinavia....

• loispessoa

Lois Pessoa from patspillowparadise said 6 years ago

Sorry I missed it but I plan on aatending the next one.

• whytestuffs

Pat from whytestuffs said 6 years ago

Reading this just made my day...........my whole week. I would love to see ethics, pride, self-fulfillment and quality brought back into the desired business model. I remember growing up with it, I'm so glad I know what it can be like!! One of my biggest disappointments on etsy is visiting the forums and reading the fear and mistrust buyers and sellers have of each other. It is so sad that the first thought when something goes wrong is "we just got screwed". It's not a healthy place to be.

• agnesandcora

Lisa Toppin from AgnesandCora said 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing- very inspiring! I`m new to Etsy but already it feels like being part of a community. Amazing to have worldwide inspiration and support!

• lovegreedphotography

Anne Marissa from AnneMarissa said 6 years ago

This sounds like it was a great event - wish I could have been there!

• CreationsbyDJ

Jeanette Stangland from CreationsbyDJ said 6 years ago

As a newer person to this place and balancing a full time job with maintaining the web site, I marvel as I read these inspirational stories. The creativity I see and ability to make something out of nothing in some cases is very motivating. Just the creation of this venue is a wonder. Thank you to those involved. Wish I could have shared the event.

• RaineeBluArt

C. Renee Stewart from RaineeBluArt said 6 years ago

I'm just getting up and going again on my Etsy sight, after losing my mother this past July. It looks as though this was a great event!! Great job!

• hoosiermamma1

Vera Hall from hoosiermamma1 said 6 years ago

All of this shows that Etsy is more than just a place to sell "stuff". It is a place to learn and grow. You get support and encouragement in places you'd never expect. I haven't made a lot of sales but I have learned soooooo much and will continue to grow here. Thank you!

• madebymirjam

Mirjam from madebymirjam said 6 years ago

I'm late......but it's amazing....

• halliefranco

Hallie Franco from HallieJohanna said 6 years ago

Wow, this would have been an amazing experience had I the privilege of attending. What an awesome event!

• VintageWorksbyBeBe

bebe from VintageVilleBoutique said 6 years ago

thanks for sharing! Hope to attend next one! vintage ville

• sintashia

lindsey s from sintashia said 6 years ago

They should have hired Wookiefoot LOL!! Love those guys! LOL

• kellypercival

Kelly Percival and Molly Rose from livingwithrepurpose said 6 years ago

This makes me cry. I am new to Etsy and struggling with concepts of cohesion and income and niche. This article is illuminating to me in that it reminds me of the bigger picture; it reminds me to stop worrying, keep creating in love, remember the whys. I needed to hear about this conference to realize again that I am not alone, and there is the movement of the spirit of love in our world and it touches every single aspect of life, freeing and healing souls. Making money and other personal struggles are just a small aspect of the business of life, which Etsy embodies in philosophy and collective soul. Thank you.

• InFlower

Barbara Gerber from InFlower said 6 years ago

Oh, I am sorry I wasn't there. Glad to be a part of Etsy.

• AttractionPaintings

Lola from LawOfAttractionArt1 said 6 years ago

Wonderful Karen. Thank-you Karen and for sharing everyone. I too love the idea of business that is respectful, inclusive, transparent, sharing and loving. It will be so refreshing and fulfilling to find. Networking and being part of a cummunity like Etsy is a blessing.

• whataportrait

Nitin K from CustomArtShop said 6 years ago

It sounds like it was a totally inspiring time. Thank you for sharing with us. Really motivates us all to keep doing good work and only get better with time.

• GemdropsoftheFalls

GemdropsoftheFalls from GemdropsoftheFalls said 6 years ago

So cool! Gotta love Etsy!!

• doterracotta1

Jillian Brown from Terraromarific said 5 years ago

I love Etsy! I have just started listing my handmade jewelry just this January! I am really hoping I can attend the next Hello Etsy!

• viniciogg1