The Etsy Holiday Shop

Jan 17, 2013

by randyjhunt

In December we unveiled Etsy’s first-ever official retail space, the Etsy Holiday Shop, a pop-up shopping experience in New York City. What an incredible adventure! To everyone who participated – shop owners, sales associates, designers, performers, and guests – thank you for making the Etsy Holiday Shop a resounding success.

We couldn’t be happier about the warm response from shoppers:

(Music by Kings)

One of our goals this holiday season was to reach out to people who were aware of the Etsy brand but had yet to become an Etsy customer. We’re happy to say that 50% of the buyers at the Holiday Shop had never purchased from an Etsy seller before. That’s incredible, and reinforces the fact that we can present, position, and promote the Etsy community in unique ways and bring more enthusiastic and supportive shoppers into the fold.

During the ten days, we hosted over 20,000 guests in the SoHo neighborhood, one of the highest profile shopping districts in the world.

Of course, the Etsy experience includes so much more than shopping. The sights, smells, sounds, and warm fuzzy feelings of the shop were created in collaboration with WORKSHOP, a like-minded design studio comprised of friends-of-Etsy and located just down the street from our Brooklyn headquarters. The end results were unparalleled. As musician/comedian Reggie Watts declared when he took the stage, “This is the future of stores — temporary manifestations of people who care, so get used to it!”.

The shop was filled with creativity. Each day a new artist created a piece in the warmly-lit storefront for everyone on the street to see. As the pieces were completed, they were hung inside the shop, building out a gallery of original works for all to enjoy. Once inside, shoppers could interact with featured Etsy sellers making and selling their products.

Sara Kerens

Musician/comedian Reggie Watts raps about the future of retail.

Sara Kerens

Etsy shop owner, fashion photographer, and artist Petra Collins creates a piece for the Holiday Shop window.

Sara Kerens

Alison Gledhill of Grace Design meets Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson.

Nine guest curators, including Martha Stewart, Tavi Gevinson, and Swissmiss, selected items that lined a wall as shoppers entered, giving surprising and distinctive perspectives on what Etsy has to offer.

Sara Kerens

Perusing the curator wall.

The shop hosted an activity-packed calendar of events. Depending on the time of day or night, a shopper might wander into a coffee tasting, a lecture, a workshop, or one of dozens of very special performances.

Sara Kerens

Every day was full of learning, sharing, and entertainment.

Sara Kerens

Hospitality performs for guests and shoppers.

Sara Kerens

Participants sharing the results of the Ampersand Ornament workshop led by Friends of Type.

Sara Kerens

Lucky Magazine editor-in-chief Brandon Holley leading a discussion on 2013 trends and making fashion your own.

Sara Kerens

Jesse Thorn of the seminal men’s style blog Put This On during his talk, "Make Your Thing."

Sara Kerens

Visitors in line to see a special session of storytelling series The Moth.

You can view more smile-inducing photos on Flickr and check out this walk-through video created by Creativebug:

The holidays may be behind us, but there’s still much Etsy magic to be had. Spread the love this Valentine’s Day by giving your honeys the gifts that mean so much more.

1 Featured Comment

• randyjhunt Admin

Randy Hunt from citizenscholar said 4 years ago Featured

Thank you for all of the awesome thoughts and feedback. We're looking at other ways to experiment with retail, but specific answers about doing this again in 2013 or in other cities aren't answerable right now. I can say that we're excited about the response and really want to have as many people as possible exposed to this kind of experience. Mimi, great question! We had iPads in-store with Etsy employees acting as "Gift Guides" as well as sales associates trained to help people explore the breadth of Etsy. Sometimes this worked really well, and other times people were much more interested in touching and feeling products. We captured a lot of learnings and are poring over them to see how different approaches performed.

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 4 years ago

Looks Amazing Great Post Keep it up Etsy you guys Rock

• HouseHoldWords

HouseHoldWords from HouseHoldWords said 4 years ago

Wow, wish I could have been there!

• LCooperDesigns

LC Cooper from LeMaisonBelle said 4 years ago

You guys did an excellent job with this - Kudos!!! Making the experience interactive was genius!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

WOWZA!! Amazing, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

• BlenderGallery

Amy and Dave Kellum from RustedCreek said 4 years ago

Wow!! Would love to visit next year.

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading said 4 years ago

So cool! Thank you for sharing. I had wanted to pop into the city to visit but had had too many orders that week....i am going to try to pop in next time for sure!

• RenataandJonathan

Renata and Jonathan from RenataandJonathan said 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing.

• decembermoondesign

Doreen from decembermoondesign said 4 years ago

Everyone involved should be proud of themselves!

• lifeartdesigns

Janie from lifeartdesigns said 4 years ago

Looked like fun!

• designsbytaylor2u

Erica from BrazedBrand said 4 years ago

Great Job!

• sherrytruitt

sherry truitt from sherrytruitt said 4 years ago

So great that it was a smashing success!

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 4 years ago

Really wish I could have been there! :)

• Rt9NJvintageFun

candy donnelly from Rt9NJvintageFun said 4 years ago

What an incredible event, let's get going to other Big Cities for Holiday 2013!

• tamilopez

Tami Lopez from TamiLopezDesigns said 4 years ago

I think this is Etsy's year for sure. Here in Northern California, I am just running into more and more people who know exactly what I am talking about when I say, "I have a little shop on Etsy." There is so much wonderful potential here. I think this is the next big wave. I am so honored to be part of this community!

• soap

soap from soap said 4 years ago

Looks like it was fun! Wish I knew, I might've popped by :) Any chance of getting one in SF?

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

Wow, that is really cool! Makes me proud!!

• MooreMagnets

April from MooreMagnets said 4 years ago

Wow! So glad that I get to be a part of this amazing place!

• beachseacrafts

Marilyn from beachseacrafts said 4 years ago

wonderful! would love to see Etsy teams do this in their home towns

• FavreBijoux

Mimi from FavreBijoux said 4 years ago

Great idea. This a minuscule sampling of sellers on site. Was there a station to search for other shops from the ones represented? If there is a plan for next year I'm volunteering to help you stock the shop!

• ShirleyArt

Debbie Shirley from ShirleyArt said 4 years ago

Wow! Sounds great! Would love to participate in something like this. I hope to see similar pop-ups in other cities!

• ChuckEBrydWallArt

Chuck from ChuckEByrdWallDecals said 4 years ago

After reading about it this is the first time in my life I wish I had been in New York (very small town guy). You guys must have had a ball and highlighted a good sampling of Etsy sellers.

• AntwarePottery

AntwarePottery from AntwarePottery said 4 years ago

Will this expand to other cities?

• beehles

Shannon from CorvusDesign said 4 years ago

Love this whole concept. What great publicity for the Etsy brand. I agree that most people now know what I'm talking about when I say I sell on Etsy. Keep up the innovation!

• randyjhunt Admin

Randy Hunt from citizenscholar said 4 years ago Featured

• sewingamity

Jennifer Schildt from sewingamity said 4 years ago

Randy, that sounds like a great use of tech. Even old standby retail, like Nordstroms, has begun arming sales associates with iPhones to make the checkout process easier. It sounds like the Etsy pop up shop was a really vibrant addition to the neighborhood!

• FunknFunction

Julie from BellaViveVintage said 4 years ago

Very inspiring to see! I too would love to see this eventually be in other cities as well! Sometimes you feel as though you are "missing the boat" because you don't live near the major cities. Let's face it- It just isn't possible! I live an hour from Cleveland and two hours from Columbus and would be willing to travel to participate in something like this! Perhaps in a year ground work could be laid to make this a reality! It would be wonderful to meet new Etsians as well!

• oakstudiosofdesign

Susan and Scott from oakstudiosofdesign said 4 years ago

Wow! Looks amazing! Wish we didn't live so far away, I would love to have been able experience the magic of the Etsy Holiday Shop!

• MiShelli

Michelle Jesmain from MiShelli said 4 years ago

It really does look amazing. I would love to have gone. Were people making purchases? Is it measurable? Or was it just marketing?

• uniqueartpendants

Molly Spilane from UniqueArtPendants said 4 years ago

Awesome!! You guys should really look into a shop at the Mall of America here in MN if you want to get the word out about Etsy. 40 million visitors annually. Look into it! :) http://www.mallofamerica.com/about/moa/facts

• JeanieBeanHandknits

Jeanie B from JeanieBeanHandKnits said 4 years ago

I wish I could have there! I'd love to see a pop up in Chicago too.

• nat1489

Natalie Jacob from EtymologyJewelry said 4 years ago

I wish I went! This was in my hometown and it looked like it was incredible. I'll make it a point to go next year if its a repeat!

• VillaCollezione

Villa Collezione from VillaCollezione said 4 years ago

awesome! totally groundbreaking event! woohoo!

• PookieandJack

Suzanne and Melissa from PookieandJack said 4 years ago

Congrats on the success! Well done!

• LennyMud

Lenny Mud from LennyMud said 4 years ago

wow- phenomenal!

• ThatOldBlueHouse2

Lisa S from ThatOldBlueHouse2 said 4 years ago

Ooh....what a great idea & glad it was so well attended! Chicago is not too far away, maybe expand to more cities in the future!

• BrooklynLoveDesigns

Megan C from AlaskaBagCompany said 4 years ago

very cool! go Etsy!!!

• OceanPatch

Susan from OceanPatch said 4 years ago

The Etsy store looked so inviting and interesting! Great job spreading the word about handmade products!

• Eastvillageartisans

Eastvillageartisans from Eastvillageartisans said 4 years ago

Love to be invited for next year!!

• Fanie

Fanie Grégoire from Fanie said 4 years ago

Oooh... we need something like this in Montreal! :-) One day, one day! Love the idea of Pop-Up shops!

• AlternativeBlooms

Alternative Blooms from AlternativeBlooms said 4 years ago

Looks fabulous!

• collageOrama

Matt D from collageOrama said 4 years ago

Do Seattle. The downtown area is perfect for this.

• daphnegraphics

Rebecca from DaphneGraphics said 4 years ago

Very cool! Maybe next year if I'm in N.Y. I'll stop by!

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 4 years ago

Seattle would be fantastic!!!

• thevicagirl

VaLon Frandsen from thevicagirl said 4 years ago

Oh how fun! Looks cool.

• lucileskitchen

Lucile from lucileskitchen said 4 years ago

Thanks for the video, I thought and wish I was in NYC. This all sounds great !

• isewcute

June from isewcute said 4 years ago

Oh how fun! I wish an etsy pop shop would open here in Dayton during the holidays this year!

• felicesereno

Felice Sereno from FeliceSereno said 4 years ago

any idea of how many sales happened then?

• KanzashiHairFlowers

Haylee Allison from CrystalFiligree said 4 years ago

What a great idea! If you ever consider new locations, you should move to Toronto! We have a lot of Etsy-fever up here :) There are even studio tours my parents used to take me on as a child. There were artist in an area North of Toronto and we would drive from house to house looking at pottery, stained glass, paintings and other crafts as well. There is a lot of enthusiasm up here for handmade art.

• FedRaDD

Divna Davidović from FedRaDD said 4 years ago

That is realy great! I envy you. It would be nice to have it here! :(

• WintergreenDesign

Christa Cunningham from WintergreenDesign said 4 years ago

I looks like so much fun. I wish I could pop by but you're much to far away but would love to be involved some day/some how... maybe you'll come to beautiful Vancouver, BC one day... we'd love to have you : )

• Aristocrafts

Aristocrafts from Aristocrafts said 4 years ago

Everything looks wonderful! I wished I would have been able to participate ever since I read about the event and now, after seeing the photos and videos, I wish it even more. Hopefully in the future international sellers will also have the opportunity to be present :)!

• NotLimited

Loretta Clark from NotLimited said 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing this for those who couldn't be there. Great way to reach the public - looks very successful and lots of fun. Hiope there are more in the future.

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 4 years ago

How fun. I wish I could have come to see it. Congratulations to everyone featured and to etsy for their success. Hope it continues.

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

I wish I was able to attend! Hope that if you do more of these stores again, that I can go and visit!

• Kikichoo

Kikichoo from Kikichoo said 4 years ago

Looks great, so pleased it went well for everyone!

• TanjaDesign

Tatjana from TanjaDesign said 4 years ago

Wonderful! Wish I could have been there!

• TeenyBunny

Angela from MightyBunny said 4 years ago

That looks amazing. I'd love it if you could do one in Seattle!

• serasijewelry

Rosa Czarnomski from SerasiJewelry said 4 years ago

I LUUUVV it that they had Reggie Watts perform there. He's such a talented musician, really goes well with the handmade and vintage vibe.

• AvantCarde

Julie, Joan, Jan from AvantCarde said 4 years ago

Love, love this ... how absolutely exciting !! Hoping that it continues so that other communities can enjoy as well -

• susanmack3

Susan Mack from HappyValleyHerbs said 4 years ago

What a great idea! Pop up stores is a new concept to me. Just heard about them last month! Love that Etsy is getting out there!!

• filecutter

Joyce and Tony from filecutter said 4 years ago

Love to see you in Houston........Happy is was a big success and I know it will be in future

• Gypsymoondesigns

Gypsymoondesigns from Gypsymoondesigns said 4 years ago

Wish I lived near by. Looked like a fun time!

• TreadleLady

Donna Kohler from TreadleLady said 4 years ago

Great event, much easier in a city like NY. Were people buying? Sales is everything but the quality of product has to be there. Would be interesting to know more.

• starlightwoods

Lisa DiSciascio from starlightwoods said 4 years ago

This is fantastic!!! I am so impressed with all that was done here- well done!

• revivalbancroft

Moxie and Suzy from RevivalVintageStudio said 4 years ago

ETSY pop up, holiday, shop looks like it was the most stylin, hip, place to go and "do" in NYC ...that's a BIG deal! wish I could have shopped!

• Rail19

Rail19 from Rail19 said 4 years ago

It would be awesome if you guys had "stop and shops" where people could enjoy a "coffee house" experience with computers hooked up to Etsy.com so people could shop on their lunch breaks every day of the week! ;)

• Rail19

Rail19 from Rail19 said 4 years ago

All over the world!

• stonehorsedesigns

stonehorsedesigns from stonehorsedesigns said 4 years ago

Looks like it was a lot of fun!

• ACakeToRemember

Kara from ACakeToRemember said 4 years ago

Such a great idea, and it can only benefit everyone by introducing more people to Etsy.

• Bluemooncollection

Kimberle Straub from Bluemooncollection said 4 years ago

I was lucky enough to be in New York at the time Etsy Shop was open. Loved the store and would really like to see this expand to other cities, Hopefully somewhere in California.

• TexturedINK

Ankita Kejariwal from TexturedINK said 4 years ago

Oh I have to participate or attend next year! cannot wait...what a great job!

• halftheocean

kath from halftheocean said 4 years ago

ahhhhhh I often wish I lived in New York rather than York (UK) ...looks great...well done everyone

• prairieboutique

Dawn from prairieboutique said 4 years ago

WOW!! Way to go! Looks like it was an amazing time!

• tovadan1841

Tova Friedman from FlatironVintage said 4 years ago

So inspiring! Looking forward to attending (and hopefully participating!) next year!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Sounds wonderful! I would love to see something like that in the San Francisco Bay Area next year.

• Lakeperson1

Sue Cloutman from Emmasdollshop said 4 years ago

That was really cool! Wish I could have been there!

• adamlawler

Adam Lawler from LawlerDesign said 4 years ago

Next year in PDX??

• MerryGoRoundHANDMADE

Nicole from MerryGoRoundHANDMADE said 4 years ago

How wonderful! Great idea! What about one in Melbourne, Australia!

• Bacesut

Başak Sönmez from BacesDesign said 4 years ago

Perfect! Wish I could have been there!

• gracedesign

Alison Gledhill from gracedesign said 4 years ago

Thank you Randy, great photos!! Sooo honoured to have been involved, thank you all so much!!

• LucyRoseDesigns

Kelly from LucyRoseDesigns said 4 years ago

Wow, looked amazing, enjoyed watching the videos, would have loved to have been there!!

• WalterSilva

Walter Silva from WalterSilva said 4 years ago

Super FUN!

• ninanguyen1108

Nina from NinaNgArt said 4 years ago

This is so awesome! You should open one in Boston MA!

• cquis13

Colleen Quisenberry from LavenderRoseAcc said 4 years ago

What a great idea! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

• Kahinaa

Kahina from byloumi said 4 years ago

Hi, I'm a french seller, I'm so happy to be on Etsy. I hope that one day I will come to New York City in the Etsy Holliday shop, it looks so amazing, You're all great!

• ionesAttic

Barbara from ionesAttic said 4 years ago

wandering around the great Soho neighborhood last week...what a perfect venue for an Etsy pop-up!

• lucymitchelldwelly

lucy mitchell said 4 years ago

looks good to me!! looks fun too wish i was there! :)

• peggybrown565

Peggy Brown said 4 years ago

Was looking at the video and pictures and just wanted the folks to know that wonderful lighted ETSY sign over the door was made by an Etsy vender who isn't a New Yorker. Chris and his wife (who was the first one to start selling on Etsy several years) live in Arlington, Texas. When he wanted to expand his market he knew where to go. He made the sign by hand and doesn't it look great! So, thank you Etsy for supporting your venders by not only selling their wares, but buying their work, too. PBB

• PurplePoem

May from PurplePoemCraft said 4 years ago

Wow! Amazing. Will you consider to open next one in SF? :)

• MuddyHeartPottery

Meli-- Muddy Heart from MuddyHeart said 4 years ago

OMG I love this!, I wished I would attend, it is absolutely lovely and magical! ^_^

• kpoklemba

Katie Schmitt from PassengerSeatArt said 4 years ago

So Amazing!! If this happens in NYC again, I would love to help out in any way! I used to run a retail store in Soho and Midtown and now, as a part of Etsy I love the community vibe. What a great idea!

• turquoiseangels

turquoiseangels from TurquoiseWoodWorks said 4 years ago

Loved the info from the ETSY Holiday shop. Would love to help out or particpate if you POP up in DC or Atlanta

• KMayCreations

Kristen May from KMayCreations said 4 years ago

Wow, what a great idea! I wish I had known, I would have tried to make it there. Next year, if there is another Etsy shop opened in NYC, I will go for sure!

• reneeyou

Renee Yu from myjunebugg said 4 years ago

amazing :)

• tereskabr

Tereska Brown from BrownsThreadWorks said 4 years ago

It is such an honor having a shop on Etsy and now I know why!! You guys ROCK.The Holiday shop was amazing and Philli would also be a great place to have one... Have you had any thoughts to multiple stores across the U.S. for next year?

• chicksinhats

Julie Persons from chicksinhats said 4 years ago

Wow, will this happen again in 2013?

• FeteSetter

Candy With A Twist from CandyWithATwist said 4 years ago

Very clever idea....a repeat must be done for 2013 <3

• judimottle

Judi Mottle said 4 years ago

What will be the location of the Etsy Pop Up store? And when is it opening? Thank You, Judi Mottle

• thedezinez

Tanvi P from TheDezinez said 3 years ago

Im really proud and happy to be associated with Etsy!! As a worthy seller I would try my best to promote Etsy!! ITS A GREAT BRAND AND IT DESERVES TO BE NO 1 :-)

• MangeTouteu

Claire Verdet from MangeToutBaby said 3 years ago

that's fab, can't wait to be there and bring my contribution to ths brillant initiative

• CHENDAOJIAN

Jack from MonogramNecklace2014 said 3 years ago

WOW! This is so great,i love it !