With the start of each year comes new prices and service changes from the US Postal Service. These prices will automatically be reflected on any postage purchased through Etsy starting on January 27, 2013. We’ve pulled together some basic info to help you with any necessary adjustments to shipping costs within your shop.
Below you’ll find a chart of our currently supported mailing options and most common package types, comparing the price you paid in 2012 to what you’ll be paying starting January 27, 2013. You’ll also find information about service changes the USPS is introducing along with these rate increases.
Most domestic mail classes will see a 3-5% rate increase across the board. The most significant increases you’ll see are in International First Class Postage and International Priority, primarily in smaller packages. Postage in these classes will increase by as much as 100% or more in some cases.
USPS Price Change Comparison
Etsy gets volume discounts from the US Postal Service, and we’re currently able to offer our sellers Commercial Base prices on most mail classes. As a result, some of the prices you’ll see below are lower than the prices you’ll see at USPS retail counters.
Additional USPS Service Changes
- Parcel Post has been renamed Standard Post and is only available at retail locations. Parcel Select, a comparable service, will replace Parcel Post as an economical, ground shipping option on Etsy.
- First-Class Mail International Parcel has been renamed First-Class International Package Services. With this change, prices for First-Class International packages have significantly increased.
- USPS will begin offering free Delivery Confirmation to Canada with future countries to follow. This option will be automatically included for any postage purchased using First-Class International Package Service and Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope and Small Flat Rate Box package types.
- The maximum weight for International Flat Rate Envelopes has decreased to 4 lbs from 20 lbs in 2012.
- Optional Signature Confirmation has increased to $2.20.
To see the new prices in detail before they are released, download the USPS Postage Rates spreadsheet directly from USPS. Remember, Etsy offers postage at a volume discount of Commercial Base with the exception of Parcel Select and Media Mail.
We’re happy that so many of you have chosen to use Etsy Shipping Labels as your USPS postage solution. Happy shipping!