Notes From Chad: 30 Million Members Strong

Aug 7, 2013

by Chad Dickerson

It’s been some time since I last wrote. We’ve had a busy spring and summer at Etsy HQ, as I know many of you have, too. On a personal note, my wife and I recently adopted a son from South Korea — our first child. Such a significant life change and set of new responsibilities as a father have given me a chance to pause and reflect on Etsy’s place in the world from a new perspective. The stories I hear regularly of how running a business on Etsy gives people the flexibility to spend more time with their friends and families are even more meaningful now.

Inside the company, we have been planning for the next couple of years and beyond at Etsy and I want to share that thinking with you. Our vision for Etsy is to reimagine commerce in ways that build a more fulfilling and lasting world. We do this by enabling people anywhere to build and buy from independent, creative businesses run by real people like you.

What makes Etsy special
Before talking about where we’re headed, I want to first take a moment to reflect on what makes Etsy special: the community and the direct, personal connections between buyers and sellers. Wired wrote about Etsy in its 20th anniversary edition under the headline “Etsy Restores Our Faith in People”:

Amazon may sell everything, but Etsy sells something rarer and less tangible: authenticity. No matter how big the site gets…Etsy always manages to put the maker front and center. Human interaction is at the heart of its business model; personal stories are paramount.

If you take a look around, there are many brands that are trying to mimic what Etsy stands for with clever copy from an ad agency (Domino’s “handmade” pizza, anyone?). In a world where everyone is trying to manufacture authenticity, I’m really proud that Etsy is the real deal: a true people-powered economy that just this week reached 30 million members strong, in 200 countries. As we look to the future, Etsy will certainly grow and change, but the community is fundamental to everything we do.

Looking ahead: Etsy strategy
We’re building Etsy for the long term around a three-pronged strategy, with the global Etsy community behind us.

• Make it easy to transact anywhere and emphasize the person-to-person shopping experience.
  • Help sellers start and grow their businesses.
  • Make the world more like Etsy.

Making it easy, making it about people
When we say “make it easy,” we mean continually improving the core parts of the shopping experience to make it as easy as possible to buy on Etsy, anywhere in the world, and on any device. Over the past few months, we have made shopping possible for an ever-growing global audience by translating the site into even more languages, like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Russian. And with the rollout of Direct Checkout in 15 new markets, more than 90% of buyers on Etsy will be able to pay in their native currencies, wherever they are, without leaving the site.

“Make it easy” also means creating a great experience on any mobile device. Mobile usage of Etsy is exploding: currently, about 40% of visits to Etsy are on mobile devices, creeping up to as high as 45% on weekend days. By November, we are expecting to have our first weekend day with a majority of visits on mobile devices, and by the first half of 2014, we expect the majority of visits to Etsy to be on mobile devices every day. Some visitors may never see Etsy.com on a desktop computer. We’re doubling down at Etsy to make sure that the mobile experience is first-class for both buyers and sellers.

In the future, we’ll continue to highlight the person-to-person commerce that makes Etsy unique directly in the shopping experience. One example is the new listing page. We’re making it clearer that shoppers on Etsy are buying directly from people by highlighting the individuals involved in the business, and the materials and processes that go into creating and curating a shop. Expect more emphasis on the stories and the people behind the marketplace in the future. It’s who we are.

Helping sellers start and grow their businesses
The second point of our strategy is simple: we want to help sellers start and grow their businesses. It has always been easy to start a business on Etsy, and we are still committed to keeping it that way. What we have learned over the past eight years, though, is that many sellers have built viable businesses on Etsy and want help growing, and we believe Etsy can provide a pathway for that growth.

On a practical level, when we talk about helping you grow your businesses, we mean two key things:

1. Providing the tools, data, support, and educational resources to run a growing business.
  2. Providing new services and channels to expand your sales.

We’re introducing new tools on the platform for critical activities like managing custom orders and improving Feedback. We’re also focused on creating more services like Etsy Wholesale, which help sellers expand into entirely new lines of business. We believe that Etsy should be a platform that helps businesses like yours at every stage, from starting out to expansion, and beyond.

Making the world more like Etsy
When we think about our growth, we don’t want Etsy to follow a path paved by other companies. Instead, we want to make the world more like Etsy: a world based on community, shared success, commitment to sustainable operations, and using the power of business for a higher purpose. Last year, we became a Certified B Corp, and deepened our commitment to running a values-based business for the long-term.

We committed to raising our B Corp assessment score over the last year, and our annual reassessment is underway. I’m confident we will receive a positive increase because of company-wide efforts, including: tracking our carbon footprint, increasing learning and development opportunities for employees, continuing to buy from Etsy sellers for our business needs, advocating for our community in the halls of power, and increasing volunteerism and charitable donations in the company. We want to run a company that is not just the best in the world, but also the best for the world, and a company that you are proud to do business with for a long time to come.

Etsy has always been a community-based platform — one that extends even beyond the online community. We’re leveraging the reach of the platform to partner with Etsy members to help transform local communities around the world. In Rockford, IL, we’ve partnered with local government and the Rockford Etsy Team to develop a craft entrepreneurship program to be taught in public schools and public housing. Mayor Larry Morrissey said in a recent update to the project: “Etsy generates the energy and opportunities for entrepreneurship that once characterized communities like Rockford all around the country.”

When we make it easier for people to transact directly with each other around the world, and make it possible for anyone to start and grow their own creative business, we’re building stronger communities everywhere. Our work in Rockford points the way to a brighter economic future with people at the center. That’s making the world more like Etsy.

How far we’ve come
It’s been two years since I stepped into the CEO role, and we’ve made a lot of positive progress. At the beginning of July 2011, Etsy was on the verge of passing 10 million members, but not quite there. 95% of payments on Etsy were processed by a third party, and Etsy was an English-only website with no mobile apps.

Fast forward to today, and Etsy has surpassed 30 million members. We’ve made Etsy available in nine languages, with payments capabilities across the world. In each of the past holiday seasons, the year-over-year growth rate of sales in the community has accelerated, bringing opportunity to more people than ever before. The company has become an award-winning leader in the B Corp movement, setting an example for other companies that you can both prioritize social good and run a strong business.

The 900,000 independent businesses on Etsy are selling their unique goods to millions of people around the world, and the sense of connection comes from real human interaction, not slick marketing. There are over 8,000 self-organized Etsy Teams supporting and empowering each other. One of the beautiful things about Etsy is that as we grow, we are only a larger collection of many smaller things, an umbrella for many communities. Thank you for being part of what we are creating together!

5 Featured Comments

• blainedesign

Karen Brown from blainedesign said 4 years ago Featured

What a wonderfully crafted message. Thank you. May I suggest one tiny element under strategy, one little thing that really does it for me? Can we always somewhere, just a little bit, keep it quirky? Not quirky software, not quirky business practices, not quirky finances, but just a little of the off-the-wall spirit of fun, and newness, and utterly unexpected surprise that is Etsy's soul? For me, that's the spirit of a person daring enough to make things by hand and have their personality always shine through –– that very personal, profoundly original, sometimes wildly goofy take that has made my day more times than I can tell you. Etsy: Come for the stuff, stay for the love. And if we can keep that, I think we will have everything.

• WingedWorld

Vickie Moore from WingedWorld said 4 years ago Featured

Etsy is like a worldwide famers' market, where buyers can connect directly with sellers. It can be hard to stand out in the crowd as Etsy grows and becomes even more successful, but I think the teams that are out there help sellers develop friendships and form communities within the larger Etsy community.

• Vitrine

Vitrine from Vitrine said 4 years ago Featured

So proud to be part of this community that is bringing change to communities and commerce the world over. Etsy's reach is growing and it's so exciting to be part of it! How else could I sell to Bulgaria or New Zealand or Norway from Dubai?!!

• BlacksmithCreations

Steve and Carolyn from BlacksmithCreations said 4 years ago Featured

Congratulations on your new addition to your family! I wanted to add that Etsy has allowed our shoppe to take off in wonderful directions that we had not even considered 2 1/2 years ago when we started. Our growth is because of the community of people who appreciate handmade, along with the friendly interactions with customers from around the world. Requests for custom items has led to our expanded product lines, as we listened and created for them. AND, If you told me that today we could be creating wedding cake toppers from horseshoes, I would never have believed you. Thank you to the Etsy community for your many faceted ways of support of our community's growth.

• SusanFaye

Susan Faye from SusanFayePetProjects said 4 years ago Featured

Where else can you sell your unique creations, meet kindred spirits, and make the world a better place all while sitting at home in your pajamas? I adore Etsy.

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

It's always great to hear these updates. Thanks!

• thelandlockedsailor

The Bosun and Sarita Li Johnson from TheLandlockedSailor said 4 years ago

Wow. From nearly 10 million in 2011 to over 30 million in 2013! Talk about leaps and bounds! I really appreciate the emphasis on the individual maker, from the new listing pages to the new partnership with Kiva. Thank you, thank you, thank you for not only recognizing, but truly celebrating, this fact: "As we grow, we are only a larger collection of many smaller things, an umbrella for many communities."

• blainedesign

Karen Brown from blainedesign said 4 years ago Featured

• nicolehill

Nicole from nicolehill said 4 years ago

Thanks for this note, and congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of your son, and to you and Etsy on your incredible recent growth - I look forward to seeing how Etsy develops in the future, and hope to be along for the ride! I'm fascinated by your plans to make the world more like Etsy, and your work in Rockford looks amazing. I often think things would be better if everyone remembered that they were dealing with individual human beings all the time, rather than faceless machines - good luck with Etsyfying everyone! Lastly, I wanted to say thank you for your recent expansion and focus on the world outside the US. It hasn't always gone perfectly(!), but it's noticeable that you are, as an organisation, now much more aware of those of us who aren't US-based - I really appreciate that.

• SoulRole

Nancy Campbell from SoulRole said 4 years ago

"Instead, we want to make the world more like Etsy: a world based on community, shared success, commitment to sustainable operations, and using the power of business for a higher purpose. " I had the great fortune of being able to visit Etsy HQ last month all the way from Hawaii.I wondered if my family thought I was crazy to want to travel 2 hours up to Brooklyn from South Jersey AND with my three kids but once the lovely Bernadette gave us the tour I knew I had made the right choice.I am so proud to be a part of the Etsy community and being there where magic happens I could really feel how committed the employees are to this higher purpose.Mahalo Etsy and to all the great customers and sellers who create such an amazing place to be.

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

I dig it Steve, I dig it. Let's roll.

• fernfiddlehead

Fern from fernfiddlehead said 4 years ago

Welcome to the world of parenting, Chad. I'm concerned by the fact that etsy, as a company, chooses to ignore the image it is presenting by allowing resellers to overrun the site. Why, even the WIRED post your cite, suggests such: "That faith might be challenged as the DIY Etsy-ers of old (if eight years ago can be called “old”) make room for 3-D etchers and CNC routers, not to mention outsourcing to manufacturers in foreign lands. But all are welcome in the ever-expanding Etsy universe, where commerce in even the most dubiously handcrafted merch has been reimagined as a people-powered ecosystem. One that seems to really, really love images of birds."

• pezzazz

pezzazz from pezzazz said 4 years ago

Super!

• lilbabybumble

Dee from LittleBabyBumblebee said 4 years ago

First off, congratulations to you and your family! What an exciting moment in your lives! Second, it's amazing to hear how much mobile users are now using Etsy. Times are a changing!

• whollycraftola

Liz Waddle from WhollyCraftola said 4 years ago

Do you have any stats as to how many of the 20 million members that Etsy has gained in the last 2 years are actually resellers?

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

First of all, congratulations on the adoption!!! You talk about authenticity, yet resellers are more rampant than ever on the site... Is this an issue Etsy is aware of and keeps working on? Also, I'm so happy for international Direct Checkout, even if I still can't have it in Mexico. :(

• JealousCat

JealousCat from JealousCat said 4 years ago

WOW! We're really growing!

• BlackForestCottage

Donna and Darrell Knish from BlackForestCottage said 4 years ago

I had a customer let me know around xmas time last year that she just bought a new phone and it had an etsy app. She did not know what etsy was so took a look. We are grateful for that as she made a purchase with us and then came back a couple months later to buy again. If not for the app she may never have found us.

• lavenderrabbit

Donna from LavenderRabbit said 4 years ago

First, congratulations on the arrival of son! That's awesome. I'm amazed at the growth of Etsy, 30 million is beyond impressive. The need to stay personalized is bigger than ever now, each store being individualized is the perfect selling point. Thank you so much for committing to that goal and keeping each of us in the loop with your progress. Go Etsy :)

• summertrianglestudio

summertrianglestudio from SummerTriangleStudio said 4 years ago

Chad sez: "If you take a look around, there are many brands that are trying to mimic what Etsy stands for with clever copy from an ad agency (Domino’s “handmade” pizza, anyone?). In a world where everyone is trying to manufacture authenticity, I’m really proud that Etsy is the real deal" Wat. Just. Wat. Authenticity? Really? You can say this with a straight face while Browse is full of bubble necklaces? It's not like this is news.

• BloomsburyRoad

Marguerite from BloomsburyRoad said 4 years ago

Monumental! And warmest congrats on your new bundle of joy. With 3 grown children of our own I can honestly say that nothing has been more rewarding in life than being their mother. Best wishes!

• DantesSpirit

Wolf from DantesSpirit said 4 years ago

Congrats on the new baby!

• JaniceCordeiro

Janice Cordeiro from WoolSculptures said 4 years ago

I thought Etsy was a venue to sell handmade items. Social sites abound on the Internet. I wish Etsy would help on the selling end more and the social end less. Since the changes to the new activity my views and sales have plummeted. I work harder and get less. Time I need to invest on the creative end is now spent on the marketing end with very little results. Easy to keep track of sales. They are zero most months since the new feed.

• vickiestreet47

Vickie Street from StreetCrossingDesign said 4 years ago

Congrats on your new addition to your family, thanks for this information that you have given. I am glad that Etsy is growing as it is. Keep up the good work.

• DreamJewelry17

DreamJewelry17 from DreamJewelry17 said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your son's arrival Chad!! It is wonderful to see all the positive directions that Etsy is taking. That being said please don't move on so quickly as to forget that we are the "Handmade and Vintage marketplace" and strive to keep it "real"! Charm on a chain and bubble necklaces are on my mind as a jewelry maker.

• andralynn

Andrea Doss from andralynn said 4 years ago

Regardless of how big Etsy gets or how many growing pains and little snags happen along the way, the community here is amazingly close-knit and supportive. That's something you can't find anywhere else. Congratulations on your growing family!

• norakaren

nora from norakaren said 4 years ago

I really like etsy or I won't be here for the last five years of my life. Unfortunately I think that etsy gets stuck on Helping sellers start and grow their businesses but there is not a big platform for shops that are already working. On the contrary I think that once they grow enough they are not featured any longer.

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 4 years ago

Astounding growth of Etsy membership - it's truly mind boggling. I look forward to the future as a seller her. Enjoy your new son, Chad - there is nothing more important than children.

• auntyanndesigns

Ann from auntyanndesigns said 4 years ago

Wow! That is spectacular growth. Nice to see this report. Would like to see more on helpful hints and tips for established shops .. helping make them more visible Congratulations on your growing family! That is one of our twin grandsons in the shop avi, who are the source and inspiration of many of the listings.

• RockArtiste

Rock Artiste from RockArtiste said 4 years ago

And to think that just 4 short years ago when I first opened my shop, there were only 1 million people on the site! Amazing Etsy! Keep up the good work and congratulations on your newest edition to family. It is the authenticity on Etsy that keep people coming back for more.

• dolcedreams

Nathalie DeSouligny-Blanco from dolcedreams said 4 years ago

Amazing! I just love ETSY ! I started here in 2007 and the changes have been remarkable. Thank you for all you do for us!

• GeorgieGirlLLC

D George from GeorgieGirlLLC said 4 years ago

Thanks for the post! Nora from norakaren, I would just like to make a few sales!

• RedRiverAntiques

Bill from RedRiverAntiques said 4 years ago

All aboard the Esty train! I'm very excited to see our community grow!

• wishingwellstudio

Susan Rehberg from wishingwellstudio said 4 years ago

I absolutely Love being part of the etsy community!!!!!! just wanted to affirm Karen Browns suggestion, that etsy Keep it Quirky. That is, after all, why I and my little store joined etsy rather than another site from which to sell my Quirky wares! Susan Wishing Well Studio

• shannonkristina

Pat Larson from shannonkristina said 4 years ago

Great letter to the membership. I am amazed that brides will order their wedding flowers over the internet from me. I have never had an unhappy bride! It requires a lot of trust for someone to order one of the most important parts of their wedding over the net. I am a retired florist of 30 years and I love the flexibility of my Etsy shop. Congratulations on becoming a father. Now you really have a job :) I have noticed that there are shops from the far east that have to be selling manufactured items. They sell so much, you would need a large factory and I am not sure they are handmade. Take a look sometime for yourself. Keep up the good work.

• beadloverskorner

Gari Anne from beadloverskorner said 4 years ago

A wonderful message! Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us all. Keep up the good work!

• Beadz2Pleaz

Cheryl from Beadz2Pleaz said 4 years ago

Wonderful to reflect. It will be interesting to see how Etsy progresses from here.

• metalicious

Stephanie Maslow Blackman from metalicious said 4 years ago

Etsy is a feel-good place to run my business and I'm happy to be a part of it. Being in touch directly with my customers keeps them at the top of my mind everyday as I work, any questions are just a convo away. I'm thankful for Etsy and my customers for allowing me to become a full time metalsmith. :-)

• soleilcrochet

Val from soleilcrochet said 4 years ago

Bravo! There's hope for humanity, and Etsy is a positive part of this move towards hopefulness! All the best to you & your family, Chad.

• hummingbirdministry2

hummingbirdministry2 from WeddingFlowerShop said 4 years ago

Thank you for this informative and encouraging update! I am proud to be on Etsy with my WeddingFlowerShop and ParisRain shop for vintage items. A minister in my day job, I've been able to raise approx. $10K in 3 1/2 years for animal rescue and environmental charities. I appreciate Etsy for all it strives to do and the fellow sellers who are reigniting values that matter for all future generations.

• MissEvaDivaDesigns

Mary from MissEvaDivaDesigns said 4 years ago

WoolSculptures......you couldn't have said it better....you hit the nail on the head!!! Yes it's great that etsy has grown, but I agree they need to focus more on helping sellers. Give us more tools to edit our listings, and the ability to put your shop on sale without using an app that is totally useless. Don't forget, without the sellers where would etsy be. Stop focusing on make a better buying experience and help the sellers grow.

• WingedWorld

Vickie Moore from WingedWorld said 4 years ago Featured

• ramonahall

Ramona Hall from ramonahall said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the arrival of your son. You've just embarked on the most difficult job you will ever have, and the most rewarding. I like the new listing page but do have some concerns over the new Forums (way too much chit chat and not enough business). I also would love to see the company upgrade its customer service through having a customer telephone line available. I think that would greatly improve the company's ability to rapidly respond to urgent situations.:D

• ByAThread2

Mary Collins from ByAThreadVt said 4 years ago

I like all the improvements. Keep it up. Thanks!

• NanNasThings

NaNa from NanNasThings said 4 years ago

Makes me so proud to be part of Etsy. I appreciate the support for sellers and the community there iis through the teams and Activity Feed. Thanks for all the changes you have made and are making! My favorite thing you said Chad is this, "The 900,000 independent businesses on Etsy are selling their unique goods to millions of people around the world, and the sense of connection comes from real human interaction, not slick marketing."

• Vintagefrenchlinens

Nan and Dermot from Vintagefrenchlinens said 4 years ago

I too want to first say Congratulations on the arrival of your new Son! This is certainly a joyful time for you and your family. I also want to congratulate you for the impressive growth that has taken place at Etsy in the past 2 years...amazing, really...and speaks to your excellent leadership. And as well, I want to join with those above who speak of their positive experiences as part of the Etsy family. My husband and I have had a vintage shop here on Etsy for almost 3 years now and we have been amazed at our success. We are grateful to Etsy for giving us the opportunity to be a part of this remarkable worldwide community, (we are based in France), and to grow our own personal business. We have not always agreed with every change that has been made in format...but still we adjust and continue to be successful ...so it seems that perhaps your staff knows more than we do! But I must add that as a champion of hand-crafters of all sorts, I truly hope that the mass market re-sellers of junk jewelry, not to mention hundreds of other very questionalble products, can somehow be rooted out of Etsy. I think I would be most disheartened if I were a hard-working and creative jewelry maker, for example. I often wonder who is actually making this stuff...and more importantly...under What Conditions? I was pleased to see a number of other members in their comments above express this same sentiment. As a vintage seller I don't feel much personally afffected or threatened by these products. But as an Etsian who feels solidarity with the entire community of 'genuine' Etsy sellers, artists and crafters, I do take, very personally, the affront of this junk which is steadily flooding and diluting Etsy. Finally, I do want to end on a positive note by saying that all in all I love Etsy, I love being a member of a very special Etsy Team and of the entire community, I love the friends I made here...and I love coming to my desk everyday. I want that to continue! Thank you so much for your hard work on behalf of all true Etsians.

• boobahblue

Renee Hanks from BooBahBlue said 4 years ago

Hats off to you ETSY! Thank you all for creating such an amazing platform to help support all of us. It is certainly a joy to be a part of and it makes me even happier to hear the language you are speaking in this post: "community", "connection", "real", "authenticity", "sustainable" Thank you for putting your BEST FOOT FORWARD! Congratulations on your new child!!

• HandsomeAndLace

Keira Morgan from HandsomeAndLace said 4 years ago

I cant even begin to explain what Etsy has done for me. Its taken me from full time desk job to full time necktie maker for celebs! I can't even!! thank you, Etsy! -Keira

• Vitrine

Vitrine from Vitrine said 4 years ago Featured

• Caracarmina

Norma Andreu from Caracarmina said 4 years ago

Congratulations for your baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (so nice you guys adopted !!!!) :D and Etsy is AMAZING!!!! I´m very happy to be a part of it! :D Spreading the love for handmade... making it possible to connect with other artists and customers from all over the world! Creating awareness about the process behind something made with love and introducing tools to improve our entrepreneurship!!!! All that is AMAZING!!!! :D

• artworkbymarita

Marita McVeigh from artworkbymarita said 4 years ago

Thank you very much for the behind the scenes update.

• mandasmittens

Amanda N from MandasMittens said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the arrival of your son to your family! The mobile use of etsy works so well for both buyers and sellers making it easy for me to work from anywhere. As a seller I hardly ever need to use a computer for etsy purposes which allows me to respond quickly to questions and inquiries. Thank you for that! Continued success!

• feltstories

Felt Stories from feltstories said 4 years ago

I am so happy to be part of esty. I want to do my best in order to grow up my sho p:)

• feltstories

Felt Stories from feltstories said 4 years ago

I am so happy to be part of etsy . Iwant to do my best in order to grow up my shop :)

• ViksVintageJewelry

Vicki from ViksVintageJewelry said 4 years ago

Congrats on the baby! I think the stats here are amazing! I love selling on Etsy...with teamwork is fantastic. One thing that I really wish for though, is to help the sellers of vintage jewelry a little bit more. Sometimes it seems as though most of the ads, changes, and promotions are only for the handmade world..which is fabulous...but those of us that started on Etsy selling our vintage jewelry have seen a drastic drop in sales in the last year. So, we could use a little extra push as well. :-)

• lunaessence

lunaessence from LunaEssence said 4 years ago

Excellent news Chad ! Love my etsy since 2008

• amylburns

Amy L Burns from AmyLBurns said 4 years ago

Love where Etsy is going! Thanks so much for recapping where we've been, while bringing us up to date on plans for the future.

• 210thstreetdesigns

Ann Brody from 210thstreetdesigns said 4 years ago

Great news and congrats. Welcome to parenthood. I did not realize that resellers were allowed on until I began reading the above messages... maybe if you limited the number of different items? I don't know of any ONE person that can make over 10,000s of items themselves. That would take a warehouse...I love Etsy and do not want it to be taken over by resellers either (except the vintage items.) I know as CEO you are super busy and may not have had this brought to your attention until now. ... Keep up the great work.

• maypl

May PL from MayPLDigitalArt said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the being a new parent! It will be a new and exciting chapter in your lives :) Just as Etsy had been new and exciting for me. I have had the privilege of leaving my full time work to concentrate on working from home and being with my kids! Love where Etsy is going under your leadership, Chad. Thank you for being at the helm for all of us. You and Etsy provide opportunities for us sellers otherwise would have been impossible to achieve. Well done!

• AuroraWings

Mitzi Sato-Wiuff from AuroraWings said 4 years ago

What a wonderful update! And I love the new listing page look. All too often, I'm disappointed when a new look is rolled out or an 'update' is installed, but I'm so happy to say that I love the new look. Combined with this update from the CEO, I'm even more motivated to grow my business. Thanks for a great company that brings opportunity and all good things to so many people!

• KathrynandOliviaG

Linda from KathrynandOlivia said 4 years ago

Love Etsy! You just keep getting better and better despite the resellers! I especially love the new look! And congrats on your new addition! Maybe one of these days he'll be selling on Etsy. Linda

• nataliesIMAGES

Natalie Cannon from nataliesIMAGES said 4 years ago

Hope you get all tingly inside realizing what a wonderful opportunity you provide to the public, and to us artists. ETSY just plain rocks!! Thanks to all, Chad P.S. Hugs to your baby:)

• RhondaJai

RhondaJai from RhondaJai said 4 years ago

WOW! How very exciting!

• Sal1120

Sally Holder from CreationsBySal1120 said 4 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, as a new shop owner on here, I am thrilled to part of a great group of artists. I think it is great about your new family member.....there will never be a dull moment...Sally

• debblazer

Deb Blazer from debblazer said 4 years ago

I feel very blessed to not only do what I love for a living, but be involved with such a wonderful community of artists. Thank you so much for giving us all this great gift.

• cowbelles

Anita from Cowbelles said 4 years ago

I just closed down my other "shop". After months of juggling both my Etsy shop and the other one, I saw almost no return for the time and money it costs to be "out there on my own". There is no way to put the actual value on being a part of such a vital, dynamic and supportive community like Etsy. The teams, the feedback, the treasuries, the Search Ads, all are geared toward helping every Etsy seller be successful. I have fun giving back to teams and other sellers by treasuring their products. As Anne Frank said "No one ever became poor by giving." I don't plan on straying again! From today on, Etsy has my 100% dedication to growing my online business. Thanks for all you do!!! Anita

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 4 years ago

I feel doubly enthused now:>)

• IkapelaDesigns

Anne Claire Isabella from IkapelaDesigns said 4 years ago

Like everything else.....you get out of it what you put in. Mahalo from Hawaii, Anne

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the new baby! So happy for you!! This kind of growth for Etsy is unbelievable. I feel it every year. Been here since 2007 and proud of it! It's changed my life and allowed me live as I want, be my own boss, and control every aspect of my creativity. That's a gift, truly.

• allewellyn01

SuperGirl from SuperGirlVintage said 4 years ago

A double congratualtions!! Well done on the latest addition to your family. You must be so very proud and I'm over the moon for you *big hug* Also, thank you for making Etsy so amazing. I'm excited to be here and over August will be truly getting to grips with my shop. I can't wait to be one of your featured sellers having great success.

• hjmart

helen from hjmArtGallery said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the new baby! That is so wonderful! I am proud to be a part of etsy's community! Seller to seller support is invaluable on etsy! I am also grateful for an opportunity to share my creativity with the entire world!

• ThatFrenchLook

Suzy Meek from FrenchCountryLiving said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your baby; and more congratulations on running the amazing life changer that's Etsy.

• alicebmusic

Alice from LandAndSee said 4 years ago

Chad, allow me to add my voice of those attempting to draw Etsy's attention to the resellers. Etsy's recent collaboration with Kiva speaks to true entrepreneurship. The "handmade" items from resellers speak of something entirely different. My suspicion is that it's a sort of entrepreneurship that doesn't envision the world as etsy does. In addition please let me add my voice to those who speak in gratitude. When I became a seller late last year my last thought was that I'd actually have sales. Now I'm looking forward to opening my second etsy shop next summer. Thank you and all of the etsy team -- for the idea in the first place, the support, the encouragement, the inspiration, and most of all the incredible vibes. I may be one in 900, 000 but you've made many of us feel special. Alice

• PrairiePrimitives

Tana Taylor from PrairiePrimitives said 4 years ago

WOW! 30,000,000 members?! My 7th Etsyversary is coming up next week. Is there any way to know how many members there were when I joined?

• qteesimpressions

Mike from Tees2Express said 4 years ago

Amazing! What an impressive growth, due to the freedom of direct interaction between the creators of arts and crafts and the buyers with an artful and personalized taste! It is no telling how fast could the Etsy community grow in the next two to five years! Keep up the good work everyone! Mike

• STart79

jenni thorp from PurplePebbleStudios said 4 years ago

Great to see that Etsy is rapidly growing in users. I would love to see more mainstream advertising to show more people what great products are available on Etsy.

• KJoannRussell

K. Joann Russell from KJoannRussellArt said 4 years ago

Thank you. Much better read than a traditional stuffy annual report. It makes us sellers using this platform feel proud. Congrats to all of us who made this Etsy success possible.

• ionesAttic

Barbara from ionesAttic said 4 years ago

...from humble beginnings to a world class marketplace. Congrats to this community, 30 million strong and special congrats to the Rockford partnership! (family ties) Very much looking forward to the new feedback roll out!

• PattieJansen

Pattie Jansen from PattieJansen said 4 years ago

30,000,000 is mind-boggling! Curious to know...of this number, how many are sellers? i've always wondered. In any case, Etsy as an international marketplace is amazing and just may be the answer to world peace someday. Proud to be an Etsian!

• Joycesknitwear

Joyce Strangeway from Joycesknitwear said 4 years ago

Grateful thanks to you and your team for all the hard work and dedication you put into Etsy. I feel so proud to belong to a global community thats works together and helps each other. In the 3 years I have been on Etsy I have made so many friends all over the world. We all have the same needs and goals buying and selling to each other not one us expects anyone to work as cheap labor in dangerous condition. With 30 million of us we will keep growing and making the world a better fairer place for our children to grow in. Congratulations! I hope you, your wife and son are very happy.

• EscapePod

EscapePod from EscapePod said 4 years ago

Yay for authenticity! I love that Etsy has maintained its integrity and kept the marketplace a truly HANDMADE place to be! Super!!!

• enchantedbeads

ILEANA Munteanu from enchantedbeads said 4 years ago

I am proud to be a part of this wonderful community, named Etsy, proud of its well deserved success. Congratulations on your new baby! Being a father is such a fulfillment! I wish you happiness and many, many more accomplishments!

• tortillasnbeans

Don Hesson from DesertInspirations said 4 years ago

Am wondering if the ETSY folks can replace the US Government folks for about 6 months or more. Just think that the forward looking and innovative concepts that ETSY incorporates into their business model might get the US headed in the right direction. Haha!

• TheEnergyGarden

Marcy Pendergast from TheEnergyGarden said 4 years ago

Awesome news for 2013! I really like that "Etsy" can help shape the world as we expand and grow. I'm curious how I would go about donating a portion of sales to worthy causes in a way that is legitimate ( I know that my money will be going to that cause ) and accessible to shoppers on my site. Say, helping to preserve the national watershed or promoting green and sustainable living. Maybe it would be a cool thing to offer "Etsy Greenstock" or something. Would love to hear some more on how to help humanity at large.... Marcy

• toocutecustomcrafts

Keri from izyandoly said 4 years ago

Congratulations chad!!! Best wishes for you and your family. Thank you so much for providing us with an update!!

• ReformedMetals

The Smiths from WillowsGrace said 4 years ago

A wonderful update! We are so thankful for all that Etsy has established to make any of this possible for us, the cost in advertising alone is a monumental gift. The comments left have been so informative and very interesting. Look to the good on Etsy; those that are genuine and authentic. Their character and skill will overcome.

• flaherty2

Debbie Cagle Flaherty from FlahertyNaturals said 4 years ago

Congratulations, and now the real work begins :) May your lives be filled with the joys of parenthood, and the rewards of a happy, healthy family. While I love selling my handmade organic products on Etsy, I am concerned by the new Etsy policy that prevents us from mentioning the natural properties and benefits of any herb, or being able to tell our customers how they have traditionally been used. With this policy you tie our hands, and deny our customers the ability to learn about the goodness in our natural products, and I for one would like to see it changed. Large national retailers of herbal goods are selling items on Etsy, surly not hand made, and they are not adhering to the new policies....perhaps the commissions Etsy is receiving from their sales are good for your bottom line, but as an ethical business woman who carefully and lovingly makes organic products, you are not doing my shop, or the hundreds of other herbal shops a service. Please keep the SPIRIT of Etsy growing.....without the presence of mass retailers and allow us to truthfully represent our products with the natural goodness and facts that nature has been providing for thousands of years.

• BakeriesByBrenda

Brenda from BakeriesByBrenda said 4 years ago

Thank you so much for the update, Chad! And congrats on your new son as well as the incredible growth that has come about at Etsy while you are at the helm. :)

• SimpleThymePrims

ronda Tedder from simplethymeprims said 4 years ago

Wonderful post! Congratulations on your new such joys you shall receive. And congrats to Etsy..!!! I am so happy to be a part of this outstanding community.

• cindylodge

Cindy Lodge from DecoArtworkJewelry said 4 years ago

30,000,000 !! So the wonderful friends I have made, while growing up in the Etsy community are not one-in-a-million special -- they are one-in-thirty million!! Now THAT'S special!

• rctees

toni from RCTees said 4 years ago

Chad, first of all congratulations to you and your wife on becoming parents...grab your helmet and get ready for the ride : ) Thanks so much for your always enlightening and inspiring posts. Etsy literally changed my life...and I will forever be grateful to you guys. Doors have been opened to us and our business that would have never been opened without you! Looking forward to many more successful years together!!

• alohanaturals

Aline from AlohaNaturals said 4 years ago

I remember feeling inexplicably excited when I opened my shop 3+ years ago. Then nothing happened for 3 years because I only had 2 products..... Finally things started to take off Christmas of 2012 but I was still hell-bent on scaling my product line to distribute island-wide. I have now let go of that and realized that with Etsy I can do what I love most, which is creating new products products and selling them directly! So now I really, REALLY excited! Best wishes to you Chad and kudos to all at Etsy!

• BlacksmithCreations

Steve and Carolyn from BlacksmithCreations said 4 years ago Featured

• bboster

Barbara Boster from SmallThingsForgotten said 4 years ago

A wonderful update. I'm so pleased to be a new member of this community. Thank you!

• windseedstudio

Windseed from WINDSEEDstudio said 4 years ago

Thanks Chad. I congratulate you on your recent adoption - that is a wonderful thing! I am still happy to be a vintage seller on Etsy, despite the endless reseller issues. I have been able to reach a global audience, and I get out of my shop what I put into it. Here's hoping Etsy never loses it's "cool".

• traciking

Harriet from SecondImpulse said 4 years ago

Congratulations on the birth of your son. Thank you for all you have done, but please, please be honest with your Etsy community and let us know where resellers stand in the future of Etsy. It is wonderful we are 30 million strong, but if a large portion of those millions are resellers then we are not gaining but losing. Number are important but not numbers that include resellers. Please, I beg you, not to ignore this issue and to have an honest discussion with your sellers about the future of Etsy.

• akvjewelry

Amy Kanka Valadarsky from AKVjewelry said 4 years ago

Just wanted to thank you for enabling me to create and have such a great place where I can sell. I believe very much in the value of handmade things as well as providing the personal touch in every interaction. Keep up growing etsy, and more importantly, take good care of your new son :-)

• gementia13jewels

L Michelle Gardner-Howard from Gementia13Jewels said 4 years ago

First, congratulations on starting a family! Wonderful news! Second, THANK YOU for paying attention to seller feedback on changes, for making us a part of the decision-making process, and for always trying to improve things for sellers as Etsy grows and becomes a bigger, better marketplace. You heard our concerns about the new item page and addressed them, and we LOVE the result! That openness to seller input makes Etsy THE BEST place to sell online, hands down! Other marketplaces make changes without even bothering to notify sellers, much less ask for their opinions. Your concern for our needs and the "team" spirit between Etsy and its sellers creates a warm, friendly environment that comes across to buyers. It sets Etsy apart from every other marketplace on the Web, and we are proud to be a part of it! We look forward to another successful year on Etsy and we wish you and your family the very best!

• CedarMoon

Kate Higgins from CedarMoon said 4 years ago

I'm proud to be an independent shop on Etsy. You made it easy to be successful and I love the sense of community with the world. I hope it stays that way. Thanks, Kate (and I don't really look like a flamingo with a mustache)

• eneefabricdesign

eneefabricdesign from nunofeltdesigns said 4 years ago

Now that there has been a statement about long term strategy as to be expected from the CEO it would make sense to follow it with a calendar appropriate message to sellers who still want to sell but have no new or interesting options for promoting on a site that still promotes only a tiny fraction of selected stores and products. It's going to be a very tough retail holiday season and the attention should (have already been) be on new and innovative techniques to attract new buyers to the site. The audience that would be attracted to products and stores that are never promoted by the site have no idea what's behind the scenes which has eliminated an entire audience of buyers.

• handicraftafrica

Jafeth Moiane from handicraftafrica said 4 years ago

Thank you very much etsy. My shop site come from Africa and my market now is all the world.It's wonderful.Once again thanks and VIVA etsy

• teall12

C and T from CandTCustomLures said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your new child. Thank you for the well written letter to your Etsy shops. Very encouraging and exciting to hear of the positive advancements and changes. Etsy has been a rewarding experience for us so far. THANKS.

• TreasuredMemoryLane

TreasuredMemoryLane from TreasuredMemoryLane said 4 years ago

Wow!! That is amazing. I am so proud to be a part of 30 million members global community.

• joycekropewnicki

Joyce Kropewnicki from CozyComforts10 said 4 years ago

Thank you for the update about ETSY. It is helpful to know the background and vision of the company. Being connected to the ETSY community is valuable as I continue to grow my business.

• gtgadabout

GT from gtgadabout said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your new family addition Chad and cherish all your moments together! Reading this has most definitely put a spring in my step! Inspiring and uplifting how Etsy has grown and so glad I am growing with it! Keep up the excellent work!

• babybaha

Zanda Baha from ZanziBach said 4 years ago

Thank you Etsy! You are amazing community and I am proud to be part of it. Thank you for giving us this opportunity to reach the world!

• honeystreasures

Michael and Lisa from honeystreasures said 4 years ago

This is very impressive news, thank you for keeping us informed. Michael and I are very proud to be a small part of this thriving community. Thank you, Etsy!

• crafts2love

Nadia and Vika from Crafts2Love said 4 years ago

Congrats on the baby, Chad, and job well done! Celebrating with ETSY community and praying for all the positive changes!

• SusanFaye

Susan Faye from SusanFayePetProjects said 4 years ago Featured

• DCFabricArt

Caroline Laskowski from DCFabricArt said 4 years ago

900,000 business on Etsy. Now I know why it so hard to get noticed much less sell. But I do appreciate that it does not cost much to be on Etsy and all of the hard work Etsy puts into providing the sellers with advice. Do agree with some that say the buy sell market has infiltrated Etsy. It happened in art and craft shows and they actually make a small effort to jury in work - so does not surprise me Etsy is flooded with buy sell. I can never compete with something made in China for cents, but am ever hopeful quality might still matter in this country.

• InnovativeStoneArt

Mino Re from InnovativeStoneArt said 4 years ago

Thank you, Chad, and Etsy! And congratulations to your family - your new son, and your Etsy community! Etsy has made it possible for me to create my art and share it, and sell it, in a mostly sympathetic and friendly marketplace. Yes, it's hard to stay visible as it grows, yes, it's hard to find time to keep improving my online presence as well as create my art, and yes, it's very frustrating to discover resellers in every nook and cranny. But I appreciate the attempts to make Etsy work for us, and hope Etsy will stay fun and friendly and give us all - whether newbies or oldies - the chance to make beautiful art.

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 4 years ago

Wow! It's amazing to watch this community grow and I'm so proud to be part of it! Congrats to you and your family!!!

• elledesigner

Louise from LouiseLeder said 4 years ago

Thank you so much Chad, for all the improvements to this site! I am proud to be a shop owner here! I came here 2 years ago because this was a site that was for handmade artists. And the community is wonderful. But more and more I find that I'm a handmade artist selling next to resellers. How can I possibly sell my one-of-a-kind wares next to a discount shop? (Who claim, by the way, to also be handmade) Do you guys at HQ not aware of this, or maybe this is part of the new Etsy . . .

• elizabethforster

elle and belle Forster from elleandbellejewelry said 4 years ago

Congratulations, Chad, on the growth of your family and Etsy. I am relatively new to Etsy and really enjoying the experience. I like the changes and format. It is easier for buyers and sellers to navigate and has a cleaner more up to date look. Thanks for your positive message.

• umeone

Linda Sapp Long from umeone said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your new Parenthood adventure! You actually are raising two Children, Etsy being your first. I commend you on staying grounded and true to the Etsy core, "personal connections between buyers and sellers" you have experienced a major growth spurt and have embraced it with a cool head and open mind. Your ability to interact and lead 30 million people in a common goal is miraculous. You are going to be an amazing Father and he will keep you humble and grounded. Enjoy!

• WhiteCrossDesigns

Jordan White from WhiteCrossDesigns said 4 years ago

1. Great & much appreciated message! 2. As the adoptive parent of a little girl from China, I applaud your adoption, hope you do more, & pray for blessings on your child & on you, as parents. 3. Love MOST of the recent Etsy changes -- if I'd been asked, though, would have moved "materials" to a less focused place, and, instead, maybe repeated the 1st line/paragraph of the item description. 4. Could Etsy also look STRONGLY at strengthening and making more reliable the internet connection itself? I was in the middle of a purchase transaction yesterday morning when Etsy decided to have one of its now almost regular "hiccups". I lost the transaction, & would not have been able to find it again, had I not already favorited the item before purchase. Would NOT want that to happen to a customer of mine. All in all, though, am a Happy Camper, & proud & happy to be on Etsy!

• WhiteCrossDesigns

Jordan White from WhiteCrossDesigns said 4 years ago

P.S. Just finished actually reading many of the above comments. Maybe it could be time for Etsy to consider doing a few growth & housekeeping things: 1. Split into two separate but linked sites -- 1 for handmade, and 1 for suppliers/vintage resellers?? 2. Set up criteria to weed-out non-active shops; i.e. no listings/no action for 6 months would receive an enquiry, and be given a month to decide on becoming active or closing ?? 3. Many shops, wonderfully, have become SO successful that they operate with several people (or more). These shops do NOT have that information "out-front"; it has to be searched for. Tough to compete price-wise with a shop that has 6 people "hand-sewing" while you have only yourself. 4. Instead of offering finance/loan opportunities to sellers, why not offer a realistic list of TRUE wholesale suppliers to help them purchase supplies --- True Wholesale NOT being a tiny little 10 or 20% off. Well, this has turned into quite a wish list, so I'll just take my too talkative self off now. :)

• Indounik

Indounik from Indounik said 4 years ago

This is a piece of feedback I just received: "Absolutely stunning items! Wonderful interaction with shop owner! What Etsy is all about!!" And for me too, it's that interaction with customers around the globe that makes it what Etsy is all about. I'm approaching my third year as an Etsy seller, focused mainly on supplies that are mostly the product of my collaboration with Balinese artisans. My Etsy sales help sustain me here in this island paradise and enable me in my spare time to voluntarly teach a bunch of golden Balinese village kids some English, some sustainable practices, and some crafting skills. I'm pleased to see Etsy placing greater emphasis on the global village, and applaud the partnership with Kiva. However, I would like to echo the seniments of many of those who have commented above me and express concern at the infiltration of the resellers. And I feel compelled to shout from the rafters that supplies are every bit as important as handmade and vintage in the Etsy marketplace but even though we pay the same fees as everybody else, we get a less fair deal when it comes to being promoted in Etsy Finds etc. I'm pleased to say I've seen a few supplies being featured of late so I hope it's a sign of better things to come. Finally, thankyou for the updates and insights, and congratulations on the adoption. I hope both your babies continue to grow and prosper.

• annecorr1

anne corr from modestly said 4 years ago

A new Baby!! The best ever endeavour is bringing up the next generation. That said, mine are just about to fly the nest, and Etsy has given me the opportunity to connect with my creativity in an unexpected way. I work hard at making my goods, and then promoting on teams, because it feels a much more satisfying way of buying. I havn't really sold much before Etsy (still havn't). I do like the community of supportive team members, and hope the site isn't flooded with non craft items that can be found anywhere. Congratulations on the success of Etsy and good luck in your parenting!

• rockysprings1984

Gail from RockySpringsVintage said 4 years ago

Congratulations on your first child. May you enjoy each other for many, many years.

• atomiclivinhome

Robin Grattarola from atomiclivinhome said 4 years ago

I LOVE the personal interaction with my customers, some of whom become friends! I always tell people that aren't familiar with Etsy about the strong sense of community and friendliness, unlike any other online marketplace. I love to shop on Etsy as well as being a successful seller here. I "market" Etsy to potential sellers and buyers all the time. It's a place where my success, as a seller, is exponentially spurred by the supports Etsy has in place for product promotion, on Google and elsewhere, and where the "hard part" of putting together a great website, that people are driven to in droves, is already done for me. My job, aside from making the very best product that I can make, is to follow the advice, tutorials and guidelines that Etsy has put in place to help me be as successful as I want to be! Etsy is a fantastic place to sell and connect with the wonderful people of planet Earth!

• stevens128

William Stevens from BlueAcresArt said 4 years ago

Chad, congratulations on your new family! Makes it all worthwhile. I am glad to be a part of Etsy, just wish I had known about it sooner. For artists and creative people, Etsy is the place to be. The resellers have got to go. I consider them to be a cancer on the business. Future requirements for joining Etsy will have to be taking an oath or pledge that the seller will not engage in reselling any item. If caught doing so by Etsy, their position will be terminated and they will be disbarred from doing future business with Etsy. My opinion. Happy future to us all!

• rosesattic1917

Miranda Rose from TwentiethCenturyRose said 4 years ago

As I evolve from desktop to mobile shopowner and customer in our Etsy marketplace, I am disheartened that the new item look just recently rolled out forces me to make an extra keystroke (i.e. ipad touch and scroll) to heart an item. You have devolved, not evolved there. I am also a bit confused about how teams and treasuries fit into your merchant self-promotion vision for the future. The teams I have been associated with seem to become top down leadership team hierarchies with membership drones who must crank out treasuries and view them to feature and appease their leaders? Lots of effort for less and less emphasis by Etsy on teams and treasuries as witnessed by the fact that there is still no mobile app for making treasuries. How does the team/treasury Etsy-created network serve to democratize the marketplace? Surely we are not just toiling to create free fab Etsy first/front pages for the site?

• passionateflea

Elizabeth from ThePassionateFlea said 4 years ago

Exciting times, to be sure! I am so proud to call myself an independent shop owner in this global community of uniqueness. That's what separates Etsy apart from other on-line selling and shopping sites and draws all of us to engage in the Etsy experience. Thank you for offering the many tips, blogs, and workshops that help us improve and expand our shops. The many teams offer assistance, support and especially, friendship. Etsy is a home, a global family of unique individuals committed to fresh ideas, teamwork, and free spirits. A quick question to end my comment: Is there one easy step for shop owners to incorporate their multiple shops under one umbrella without logging out of one only to log in to another? Sure would save time! Thanks!

• kmaskell1

Karen Johnson from karenjohnsondesign said 4 years ago

After twenty years of selling to shops and stores I can tell you there is nothing as enjoyable as selling on Etsy. It gives you freedom, great personal contact with your buyers and a sense of being part of a community. The greatest thing is the sense of control it offers any business, it allows a business to grow at a manageable rate and also gives you the time to consider other values in your life such as home life and family. That is what makes Etsy special, there is no other way of working that can give you that golden opportunity to determine your work life balance.

• Niftic

Niftic from NifticVintage said 4 years ago

I'm extremely proud to be an Etsy seller and the Leader of an outstanding Etsy team that strives to help all vintage sellers. This truly is a community of support and friendship that far out passes any selling venue that I have been involved with. My customers are receptive and genuine people who have heart and appreciate us! Thank you Etsy for all you do!

• susanclare

Susan R. from EthnicBeadShop said 4 years ago

Thank you, Chad and congrats! I'm an "old-school" Etsian and will remain for "the long run". Susan :)

• MirasBeadBoutique

Mira from MirasBeadBoutique said 4 years ago

One word: INSPIRATIONAL!

• PattiStyle

Patricia Streck from PattiStyle said 4 years ago

Congrats on your new son. I love being part of Etsy and the new listing page seems to be getting my shop more looks .Here's hoping I can make more sales. I'm glad you are working on feedback. I will ask buyers for their feedback and I have only heard back from one customer. Maybe there is a way this can be made easier for them to respond.

• suburbantreasure

suburbantreasure from suburbantreasure said 4 years ago

A shipping calculator- PLEASE a shipping calculator! That makes things much better for buyers who know they are being accurately charged! Congrats on the new son!

• BeetleKeeper

BeetleKeeper from SquareDaisy said 4 years ago

Great post, so heartening to know that things will stay the same into the future! Because I LOVE Etsy. It's my favorite place to be on the web. And I LOVE the Etsy mobile app! It's so intuitive and easy to navigate. Congrats on your adoption and keep up the good work!!!

• HilltopTimes

Maggie from HilltopTimes said 4 years ago

I never thought I'd be a shopkeeper on an online venue, never thought I'd be a leader of a fantastic team, but here we all are on Etsy, and loving it! Keep it growing, and keep it real, what a fantastic place! Thanks for all you do! Best to you and your new family- we are an adoptive family also, two children that made all our lives wonderful and fulfilling. Best to youl

• WhimzyThyme

Deb from WhimzyThyme said 4 years ago

Congratulations Chad - being a parent is awesome. I am so grateful for finding Etsy and opening my Shop. I have had my Shop since Nov 2010 and love it.

• TimelessVibes

Christine Marshall from Key2MyArt said 4 years ago

Will Etsy be selling shares in it's company any time soon?

• Leeya

Leeya Engel from Leeya said 4 years ago

This article had expanded my love for etsy to invlude Chad, his vision, and his values (not to mention new son! ).

• lornabateman22

Lorna from lornabateman22 said 4 years ago

I LOVE Etsy! For me it has been not just a way of making an income but also meeting and making new friends all over the world. Etsy has taken me on a rollercoaster ride to places I never dreamt I would go! Thanks Chad for the update - wonderful site as it is easy to navigate, easy to load up items, with brilliant back up support.

• JudyTaylorDesigns

JudyTaylorDesigns from JudyTaylorDesigns said 4 years ago

Really nice post.

• heritagepostcards

Patricia Ramsey from heritagepostcards said 4 years ago

I love Etsy and have 2 shops on Etsy. I appreciate how the site is constantly finding ways to improve instead of remaining stagnant and I have seen my sales improved with some of those changes like the Direct Checkout option. One suggestion I would like to make is to pay more attention to the vintage sellers. Much attention is given to the creative people on Etsy and they are often highlighted and it seems like much attention is given to them. As a vintage seller, I often feel like Cinderella's ugly step - sister. Please don't forget about us!

• GabriellasTreasures

Patricia Barsalona from GabriellasTreasures said 4 years ago

I have go back and read again to absorb all you have shared - thank you for that! Mostly wanted to say Super Congrats on your family addition and wishing you the best on this new part of your life!

• TuesdayFreya

Tuesday Freya from TuesdaysAndFridays said 4 years ago

Congratulations to Etsy and to your family as well! I am relatively new to Etsy, but in 2-3 years, it has already allowed me to quit my corporate job and stay home with my little girl. It's a different kind of fulfilment to simultaneously see both my baby and "hob-business" growing day by day, so thanks a lot for that. :) It's great to know Etsy's vision as well. I love the new listing layout with tabs, and all the tips provided to be a global seller. As part of this globalization though, you may wish to involve more of Asia and Southeast Asia on Etsy. I subscribe to different Etsy regional newsletters and just noticed that there's no Asian/Southeast Asian version. We have a few Etsy teams that are active here in Manila, but further interaction with/promotion to the other countries would be of great help to our handcrafters and vintage sellers.

• silkoak

Jan Rhodes Norman from silkoak said 4 years ago

Thank you Chad and Etsy for creating a worldwide platform that connects sellers to buyers, while also building community locally. My ability to focus on growing my business is a result of your ongoing efforts. Thank you for being my partner!

• helencwalls

Helen.C. Walls from boutiqueboheme said 4 years ago

Congratulations!! Etsy is fantastic - I am proud to be a part of something so clever and exciting, as a designer / maker it has provided me with an excellent platform to sell my jewellery and reach out worldwide to customers who may not have ever discovered my designs otherwise. As a buyer, I can find the most interesting gifts ( makes christmas shopping fun and easy ! ) and most importantly I can read the story behind the wonderfully talented crafts-people that I am buying from, making purchases even more special! However, the re-seller issue does concern me greatly, it seems unfair that blatantly NOT hand-made items are creeping in next to genuinely hand-made and unique products, I really hope that you can resolve this problem.

• MomsantiquesNthings

Janine from MomsantiquesNthings said 4 years ago

God bless you and your wife for adopting a child, I think that is absolutely wonderful, congratulations! I have been a vintage seller since 2007 on Etsy and I have watched this marketplace grow. It amazes me to see the numbers of new members & shops being added. I am proud to be part of this community and thankful for the opportunity to make my living here. I hope that as Etsy continues to grow, so will my business, as I am ready to go to the next level. I was thrilled to wake this morning to my 800th sale and this year, in April, I opened a 2nd shop for my handmade decorations and art assemblages. Never, in a millions years, did I think anyone would buy my creations, I only made things for my personal use and enjoyment, but it is now, another business that is helping me to pay my bills. I thank Etsy for opening the doors to a new way of life for me and my family, as I can work at home and have more time to spend with my loved ones. I really do love Etsy.

• WillowGlenDrive

Amy from WillowGlenDrive said 4 years ago

Etsy has allowed me the opportunity to sell my items to hundreds of people across several continents. I am a disabled stay at home mother, and I can tell you that it has honestly changed my life for the better to be a part of this wonderful community!

• vpxo12

valerie from ValerinaFelting said 4 years ago

Very cool Blog! Love and can't wait for all the changes to come to the Etsy World! Thanks Chad From Val

• indigobjects

indigobjects from indigobjects said 4 years ago

Etsy needs to keep tighter controls on resellers. This is supposed to be a "handmade and vintage" seller site!

• artdesignsbyellen

Ellen Danai from ArtDesignsByEllen said 4 years ago

What is your plan for bring more customers and by buyers to Etsy? I like the new listing format and think that will help with more sales. I opened my shop 6 months ago. Are you going to have a spot on your home page For New Shops ? How about featured shops of the day!

• FRESHOFFTHENEEDLE

Donna Dooley from Freshofftheneedle said 4 years ago

Thank You for that most informative newsletter..The competition as a seller on Etsy is fierce..You must put in lots of time and effort..Then when you get a sale you feel like the time you spend on your very own shop was well worth it. Onwards and Forwards.... Donna

• OceansideCastle

Laura from OceansideCastle said 4 years ago

I'm thrilled to know that the Etsy core philosophy remains strong. "Be the change you want to see in the world." I'm so proud to be an Etsy entrepreneur.

• anordicrose

virginie lykins from anordicrose said 4 years ago

30 million users, and 900 000 sellers... ! Wow !

• RoughMagicCreations

Mollie Ann Meserve from RoughMagicCreations said 4 years ago

Having been an Etsy sellers for more than 5 years now, I have to say the last 2 years have been totally amazing! Thank you, Chad and team! And congrats Chad, on being a new Dad!!!! :)

• mhcbergman

Maria from ParisPluie said 4 years ago

I am so proud to be a part of the Etsy movement and so thankful for Chad and the people at Etsy who celebrate and encourage the beautiful and positive qualities of being human in the process of exchanging goods and services. Our world greatly needs the Etsy philosophy and can only flourish in a world of people searching for an alternative to current, sterile, bottom -line driven commerce.

• aneyeforanimage

Sherry from AnEyeForAnImage said 4 years ago

I want to say that I enjoyed reading all of that message-filled with information regarding Etsy. I am new to Etsy and my shop AnEyeForAnImage hopefully will take off in a new direction and grow beyond my wildest dreams. I am happy to join this wonderfully unique group of talents-I enjoy making treasuries, seeing new items each day and just going through the shops looking at all the fine items out there. What a great thing you have done to bring it all together in one place. Peace Love and Prosperity to all! Thanks for letting me be a part of this experience.

• MariaHelenaPhoto

maria helena from MariaHelenaPhoto said 4 years ago

It's nice to know what the strategy is. I would've skipped the 'Make the world more like Etsy' part, though. That was too Corporate Candy Communication, especially when Etsy allows resellers to run rampant.

• Lilpunky

Ann from PrettyVagrant said 4 years ago

I have to ask. How many of the 40% of mobile users are shop owners and how many are buyer only accounts? I am constantly on my phone checking stats, answering convo's, etc and I am sure many many others do the same. To have accurate stats the 2 need to be separated.

• PENultimateLeotards

Paula E. Northuis Northuis from PENultimateLeotards said 4 years ago

Yah, I used to "love" Etsy too. Interesting how you left the part out of this glorious vision, where you turn eTsy into "eBay light" with the "new" Feedback system.

• GemdropsoftheFalls

GemdropsoftheFalls from GemdropsoftheFalls said 4 years ago

Thank you. Plain and simple. We are honored to be a part of the Etsy community! <3

• heliaherra

ladan sajadi from HeliaHerra said 3 years ago

I am so proud to be part of this community and really thanks for the opportunity that Etsy brings for all of us. Good job

• 1ofWood

Jerry Herbage from 1ofWood said 3 years ago

As I opened my shop just this November, I was not aware of the enormous community available for interaction. I am pleased to be part of the growth process. Thank you for all the avenues of information and the ever evolving exposure. The hands create what the soul feels. It,s nice to have a venue to share the "Experience".

• Biomorphos

Biomorphos from Biomorphos said 2 years ago

great article! I am very happy and grateful for being able to be apart of Etsy. I appreciate what Etsy stands for immensely. Always looking for ways to improve and be better. Love it!