Join the Party: Etsy Craft Party 2013

May 6, 2013

by Julie Schneider

Etsy Craft Party is a one-day celebration of meeting and making. Around the world, we come together to share creative skills with our neighbors. You can organize a Craft Party, or join one in your area. All you need are good friends, craft supplies, and fun!

This year’s theme is Craft for Community. How could you use your craft know-how to make your hometown even better? We encourage you to think about what you love most about your city, what creative skills you have to share, and how you could bring this all together in a fun party that supports your community. Your Craft Party could feature:

• Skill-share: Swapping your creative skills with another.
  • Craftivism: Using crafts as a means for positive action, or activism.
  • Collaboration: Making a difference by joining forces with a local organization (your town’s community garden, park, farm, hospital, school, arts center, bike shop, thrift store, day care center, senior center, soup kitchen, farmer’s market, or other nonprofit/community group).

How do I get started? First, pick your spirit animal. If you are the leader of the pack, you could be a great Craft Party organizer. More of a party animal? Sign up for a party in your area and show up ready to craft on June 20.

To join a Craft Party, all you have to do is find a party in your area and RSVP via the party’s Eventbrite page.

To organize a Craft Party:
1. Complete the organizer application form.
2. We’ll grant you access to your Craft Party Eventbrite page.
3. Plan your party and invite friends!

Take note! Craft Parties with 25 or more RSVPs on Eventbrite will receive a free box of craft supplies from Spoonflower and Etsy sellers (while supplies last). The deadline to RSVP is May 30, 2013. We set this RSVP deadline so we can get the box of supplies shipped to the party organizer(s) in time. However, we encourage you to continue promoting and garnering RSVPs right up to the day of your Craft Party.

We will also provide every Craft Party organizer with a free, downloadable Craft Party Kit. The Kit will contain: how-to project instructions and templates, party decor ideas, and other tips for hosting your own party – plus some extra delightful surprises.

We encourage you to make your party your own and have fun with it! Here are a few project ideas:

• Make Adopt Me vests for an animal shelter
  • Host a creative workshop at the local library to share skills and knowledge with your community
  • Get your hands dirty with a garden-related project to support a community garden
  • Work with a local bike shop to make bike tube pouches, reduce waste, and promote biking
  • Paint a mural to brighten a communal space
  • Work with a thrift shop to source materials for an upcycled project (like these denim pillows)
  • Make toys for a kids center (like these wooden blocks)
  • Make birthday cards for the More Birthdays campaign
  • Make pillowcases to donate to a local shelter, hospital, or home as part of the One Million Pillowcase Challenge
  • Knit tiny hats for preemies at a children’s hospital
  • Make scarves or mittens for a homeless shelter
  • Make decorations for a senior center party
  • Get together at a park or beach or hiking trail to help with a hands-on outdoors project
  • Bring creativity to an unexpected spot, drawing inspiration from The Laundromat Project
  • Work with a local non-profit to add value to your community

Let’s celebrate Craft Party together. Share photos of your Craft Party, from prep time to party time, on Instagram and Twitter with the hashtag #craftparty. We may even include them in a recap blog post or on Facebook!

Join the global celebration on June 20!

What are you planning for Etsy Craft Party 2013? Let us know in the comments below.

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 3 years ago

So excited! Can't wait!

• LuckyPenny86

Lori Fisher from GartersByLori said 3 years ago

Too bad these things are always on a weekday. Not so good for people that work a 9-to-5.

• dahliasoleil

Paulette from dahliasoleil said 3 years ago

Great idea.Will check to see if a team in my area is hosting one.

• babybaharcollection

Hande from babybaharcollection said 3 years ago

If anyone is Orange County looking for one, here is the one I am hosting :) http://etsycraftparty-costamesa.eventbrite.com

• ColombianJezebel

ColombianJezebel from JezebelsCreations said 3 years ago

Cant remember the last time i was honestly this excited!

• JLynnSupplies

Brad from CasualInvertebrates said 3 years ago

the find a party link does not work.

• ismoyo

ismoyo from ismoyo said 3 years ago

The 'find a party' link goes to an error page..

• julieincharge Admin

Julie Schneider from julieincharge said 3 years ago

Sorry for that glitch! The link works now: http://www.etsy.com/craft-party Happy Craft Party to all!

• chicagolandia

Ann from chicagolandia said 3 years ago

This is such a great idea - have to see if a party is being hosted in my area!

• marialuciazapataara1

maria lucia zapata arango said 3 years ago

hola señores etsy.incquiero saber si mi compra de wel 21 de abril ya fue enviada pedido ·87122850

• birdhousedesigns

KC Bird from BirdhouseDesigns said 3 years ago

Tampa Bay has a HUGE party planned with food trucks, local breweries, over 20 local etsy vendors, large demo stations and creative spaces to encourage people to try new things and communicate with new artists! All in the heart of the city at the communities shuffleboard courts, the largest and oldest shuffleboard court in the world!! http://etsycraftparty-stpetersburg-eorg.eventbrite.com/

• alexingebritson

Alex Ingebritson from HowClefer said 3 years ago

Such a great idea! :D

• densil

Melina Lindsey from FurBrainPetProducts said 3 years ago

Nothing in Chicago? How is this possible?

• orloSubito

Sandra Toro from orloSubito said 3 years ago

can I use the image in my event on Facebook?

• 8point8

8point8 from ThinkEco2 said 3 years ago

This looks like a lot of fun. We help charities in San Diego. This is a great idea, thank you!

• studioexsto

Studio Exsto from bespokemagazine said 3 years ago

OOOhhh might have to plan something here in Townsville Australia!

• MomsantiquesNthings

Janine from MomsantiquesNthings said 3 years ago

Don''t see any in NY near the Fingerlakes, south of Rochester area in the link. Would really like to attend one sometime!

• SolDelSur

Soledad Proaño from SolDelSur said 3 years ago

Brooklyn already sold out?! :(

• SolDelSur

Soledad Proaño from SolDelSur said 3 years ago

Nevermind, there are two in Brooklyn and the second one is not sold out. A glitch? I hope there's only one in each city!

• stephybot

Stephanie Rushing from Bowbotics said 3 years ago

I signed up to see if I could host on in St. Louis! Hopefully it gets approved, I know many crafty ladies who would love to be a part of something so great.

• brandiespacone

Brandie Spacone from myartdelice said 3 years ago

Sounds great !!! I would love to participate

• bumblys

Rennie from BumblysSoapworks said 3 years ago

I signed up to host for Crafty Akron Coalition!

• Nemki

Nemki from nemki said 3 years ago

I think this idea is amazing. I've always loved the thought of art making our hometowns more inspiring, beautiful and cheerful.

• vincentwu8866

Vincent Wu from YourLifeStyle said 3 years ago

I would love to participate

• esszee

Sharon Zeisel from esszee said 3 years ago

awesome!

• tabithaorander

TABITHA from GritsSouthernStyle said 3 years ago

Awesome!

• BleuCricket

Karina Balda from NovaMar said 3 years ago

Is there ever going to be one in Miami? Has anyone ever traveled to go to any of these events?

• PurpleDaizieDestash

Rena from PurpleDaizieDestash said 3 years ago

So awesome! :)

• WavicleWays

WavicleWays said 3 years ago

Would it be possible to plan a virtual party for a Team that is more spread out? Or would that have to be done unoffically by the Team?

• Brownlunchbag

Angel and Mike from ReveilleReveille said 3 years ago

Is it a free event? Or do we have to pay to participate?

• GlindaBunny

Rachel Faul from GlindaBunny said 3 years ago

I'll be hosting one at the Transistor in Orem, UT. I'll put up more information once my application is approved. This one will be free - people can choose to donate a couple dollars to offset the materials I'll be providing if they really want to, but it's certainly not required... and nobody is allowed to donate more than $5. We'll be doing at least four projects (more if enough people are interested). :)

• NikkoNeko

Julie Bonasera from NikkoNeko said 3 years ago

I will host the Northern Idaho party again this year, (awaiting my application approval) I would like to include community non profits as well, I am thinking a destash swap meet with some make and takes. Maybe open house style (afternoon and evening hours) so more people can participate. please message me with ideas, a helper would be great!

• xiannashop

Xianna Soto from xiannashop said 3 years ago

I'd love to have something like this in Madrid! <3

• CraftAvenuePH

CraftAvenuePH from CraftAvenuePH said 3 years ago

sfo is already sold out. so sad :(

• sarahcharlton1967

Sarah Charlton from HeARTily said 3 years ago

Oh, 20th June is my partners birthday! Wonder if he'd like to go to an Etsy party? :)

• crazylou

PaperLou said 3 years ago

Hi! i sent through an application form to host a craft party in Melbourne, Australia last week and I have yet to hear back.... we've already got a room booked and people at the ready just need the eventbrite access to start sharing! Any ideas on how much longer? cheers

• sugarcookie

Missy Kulik from sugarcookie said 3 years ago

We are hosting one in Athens, GA again this year! Ours will be on the 19th, as there is a big music festival that kicks off on the scheduled day. Is there a way on making the Eventbrite page reflect our change? https://etsycraftparty-athens-rss.eventbrite.com/

• wolfelinda1

Linda Wolfe from CraftsbyNinnie said 3 years ago

I am new to etsy and learning the ins and outs, this sounds like a great idea and fun, I too will check in my area for this, Happy selling everyone and Fun!

• SHM2013

Silvia from MarinaBosettiDesigns said 3 years ago

We can't wait until June 20th!!! Very intrigued indeed!

• LisaBirchArt

Lisa Birch from BirchHandmade said 3 years ago

I'm hosting one in Cornwall in merry old England if anyone wants to join me!? xx

• Thebaroqueprincess

Lisa Neuberger from Thebaroqueprincess said 3 years ago

I just love a craft party!! Shopping ,CREATING, Blogging,sharing and selling and buying......FUN!!

• handloomin

Manju G from JaipurHandloom said 3 years ago

really exciting. i wish I could have seen it before.