Etsy Statistics: September 2013 Weather Report

Oct 14, 2013

by Michelle Traub

Are you feeling inspired by the crunchy leaves underfoot? Well maybe September’s site-wide numbers will do the trick. With a 42.6% increase in dollars of goods sold compared to last year (September 2012), and a 39.3% increase in items sold, the Etsy community continues to be a vibrant source of new growth.

The stats:

• $109.5 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in September, 0.37% higher than August
  • That represents 5,558,230 items sold for the month, 1.36% higher than August
  • 2,898,770 new items were listed in the month, 3.37% higher than August
  • 1,040,120 new members joined the Etsy community, 2.41% lower than August
  • 1.81 billion page views were recorded on the site in September (including web and apps)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in September 2013!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

• greengrass4men

Liz M from TheFoxAndFig said 3 years ago

These figures are always staggering! Well done Etsy

• linkncharms

Becky from linkncharms said 3 years ago

Wow. 42% and 39% year over year growth. Go Craft! (Hope the IT servers get a little love) Thank you, Etsy!

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 3 years ago

I'd still really love to know category % and $. It's nice to see growth. I'm not growling. I work in a retail environment for my income job and see, on a daily basis, the struggle to attract buyers. Some areas of the store I work in show great sales, some not so much. The good luck moves around a lot. But knowing what products sell best on Etsy tells me as a shop owner just where I fit into my little niche. Sometimes I wonder if there is concern on the part of the Etsy number crunchers that if you tell us how it breaks down, you'll scare away shops that are in the lower % of sales. Etsy used to tell us numbers in general groups…I seem to remember…or am I becoming senile? Thanks for the info tho…

• ProfessorTiny

Susan Sanford from ProfessorTiny said 3 years ago

This tends to make me have a little more trust in weather reports, as these figures reflect a flatness in sales from August to September of this year (some hold that there was an actual dip in sales in September, in particular in the second half).

• ProfessorTiny

Susan Sanford from ProfessorTiny said 3 years ago

Interesting to compare to last year's figures for the same time period.

• WomanShopsWorld

Carter Seibels Singh from WomanShopsWorld said 3 years ago

Wow! 42.6% up over last September! This is awesome news! Up and up we go..... Thanks Michelle!

• susanclare

Susan R. from EthnicBeadShop said 3 years ago

Michelle, are you startled by the abysmal lack of response to this post? I think it is because many of us who actively and typically participate in these threads have not benefited from the growth that occurred in Sept. On the contrary, my sales completely TANKED in Sept. That said, I've been here long enough to know that it is a matter of "weathering the storm" and things will right themselves again eventually.

• laantigua

Angela Marcos from LaAntigua said 3 years ago

If the increase in dollars is higher than the increase in goods, that would mean that the goods sold this September were more expensive than the goods sold last year. Am I right in my analysis?

• creativehistory

Creative History from CreativeHistory said 3 years ago

Along with people asking about the dollar value above, I'd like to know more about the stats compared to 12 months ago. Monthly reports show seasonal changes, but it would be good to see a proper annual trend/pattern.

• melissabeth2

Melissa Beth from CrochetByMel said 3 years ago

This was not really helpful to me, and to all the fellow Etsy shop owner's I've talked to who've been here for years I haven't had a single one say they had a good September most of them say their sales and views are down by the thousands compared to last year. I'd really like to know where all these views and sales are going instead of some general number that I'm inclined not to put trust in.

• takeshiokada2

Takeshi from takOdesignstudio said 3 years ago

Thanks for the stats

• chicagolandia

Ann from chicagolandia said 3 years ago

It would be nice to see a more in-depth analysis of those figures - what percentage of the new members are sellers and buyers, what the category breakdown is for the sales. It'd be nice to see a category breakdown for the sales and know which specific major categories are trending and which ones aren't.

• DieCutMetal

Bonnie Ball from DieCutMetalCreations said 3 years ago

September was our largest month in my supply store. October is awful but we did very well last month.

• marylearss

Marilyn Ross from prairierosejewels said 3 years ago

Congratulations on your increases in sales! I'm new to Etsy and I can say that I am delighted with how my shop has began to thrive and I have you to thank! Here's to doubling your sales, and mine, in the next month. :-) Best wishes, Marilyn @ Prairie Rose Jewels

• msb37

Susan from DesignsbyMSusan said 3 years ago

That year/year growth is amazing! I would also like to see how the page views compare with September 2012.

• STart79

jenni thorp from PurplePebbleStudios said 3 years ago

Great Stats

• Divineangelshop

Connie from DivineAngelShop said 3 years ago

Looks encouraging I'm hoping it will reflect in my shop. So far this year has been just a little bit over last year. Not enough to celebrate yet but I hope too!

• bittyclippies

Kristin McInnis from KLMcDesigns said 3 years ago

Etsy is growing yet 100's of sellers are reporting terrible sales. Interesting....

• GussiesEmporium

Nancy Davies from GussiesEmporium said 3 years ago

Great stats. You go Etsy! I'd also like to see the % of new sellers.

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat from mazedasastoat said 3 years ago

A million plus new members? Then why were my views down by 40% in September compared to last year, let alone abysmal sales all summer? All the sellers I know are reporting less activity, maybe most of the new members are wannabee sellers, rather than potential buyers? In these economic times it would make sense for everyone to try to earn where ever they can. These weather reports are interesting, but they don't contain enough information. I'd really like to know what percentage of newbies are buyers or sellers. Online sales always take a steep dip in the summer, but it's definitely not recovering as fast this year as it did last year.

• OrbitingDebris

Catherine Johnson from OrbitingDebris said 3 years ago

Add my voice for more detailed stats. You almost can't give too much information as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to see everything already mentioned: category breakdowns - especially how vintage is trending vs. handmade, annual trends, and a breakdown of how many new members are buyers vs. sellers. These basic stats aren't really helpful to me in any specific way, but I guess if you're just going for team spirit, then: yay team! Now more meaningful numbers, please.

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 3 years ago

This is so interesting - my increase was about 40% over last September, so I am right in line the with the overall stats. Thanks, Etsy!

• dust222je

J Enlow from DryCreekGallery said 3 years ago

I have only been online for two weeks. Just waiting for my first sale. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get it. Then I will be happy.

• CactusHuggers

Murray Bolesta from MurrayBolesta said 3 years ago

• helenhembd

Helen and Cyndy from SETJewelryCreations said 3 years ago

We have only been on Etsy for abt two weeks and haven't sold a thing. We have put out more to Etsy than we've taken in. I do hope things will improve, we have gone to much trouble to even get our jewelry listed.

• rebiedaydreams

Rebecca Lowe from OhCarrotSticks said 3 years ago

That's a ton of growth! Very inspiring. I started back in April and haven't sold almost anything until the last 2 weeks. So I hope it will continue! Each sale makes me so grateful and excited!

• Annierans

Anna Marie D"Andrea from DivalisciousJewelry said 3 years ago

Waiting for my first sale and adding too. Started two weeks ago.

• EverBloomingOriginal

Colette from EverBloomingOriginal said 3 years ago

I have been selling on Etsy for a little over 2 years. September was really good for me. I had an 85% increase over last year. October is also trending very well for me. Etsy provides a wonderful platform and I couldn't be happier with my experience here. As Etsy continues to evolve, I look forward to a continued partnership that will enable me to continue to grow my business. Thank you Etsy...I am one of the many satisfied shop owners out there!

• TheBirdcageVintage

J Astle from TheBirdcageVintage said 3 years ago

September was a banner month for me! October is slower but steady. I have no complaints. Thank you!

• PorterFig

PorterFig from PorterFig said 3 years ago

Nice job!

• RetrofitBecky

Becky from RetrofitStyle said 3 years ago

My sales and item hits are waaaaaaaay down from last year. I found it all tanked the first of January when the shipping rates for outside US doubled. Seeing these numbers in this report is very discouraging to me. I lost about half my business!

• JanellJewelry

Lohrainne K. and Leagh B. Janell from JanellJewelry said 3 years ago

I would like to know which categories had the biggest sales.

• georgschiager1

Georg Schiager from Moonanddragonfly said 3 years ago

This feed has been very helpful, I am very interested in the comments by long time etsy sellers as well as those just beginning. I can see just how difficult it is to start a new shop and attract interested buyers. We opened our shop Sept 29, 2013, and interest in our goods has been very slow. Part of our trouble is, our items take a long time to create and that means fewer new items. That makes selling very difficult and sales even slower, never mind the current political and economic conditions which greatly affect buyers decisions in purchasing high ticket items. All that being said, my partner and I are looking forward to many years on etsy and here's to success for us all.....Thank you!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 3 years ago

Thanks for the report Etsy! It's great to see my shop is inline with the trends. October is looking good too.

• elenaslitcreationbox

Elena A. Bautista-Jackson from ElenaLittleCreations said 3 years ago

This is my second season with etsy, since I'm only open for business from september - March. I'm astound the growth I already have noticed in my quiet little corner. When I first started, my intention was to run my shop 365 days a year, needles to say business (for me) became so overwhelming busy that I was not able to work on anything new and exciting, I noticed that a lot of shop owner shop from each other (me included) . I said all this to say I would love to know what the breakdown is on shops by how many there are and how many in each category. This really would bring things more clearly for me and my future goals since I a very visual and goal oriented person.... Thank you so very much etsy, I would not be where I am today if all of you would not have provide me with all these great tools that truly makes running a 1 man store possible!!!!! Thanks :)

• PattieJansen

Pattie Jansen from PattieJansen said 3 years ago

Holy-moly!! As a general rule, I don't do "higher math"... but I say these stats are amazing! I also agree that it would be helpful to see a breakdown of numbers by general merchandise categories (i.e. Paper Goods) and also by number of sellers. Long live Etsy!

• Sizzletown

Erik from Comicize said 3 years ago

Those numbers are huge. Very impressive!

• artecrafts

artecrafts from ArteCrafts said 3 years ago

This past month was one of my best months ever. Lets hope I see the growth sustained

• crotchetymama

Judith from crotchetymama said 3 years ago

Lovely for Etsy!

• DevineCollectible

Karen Devine from DevineCollectible said 3 years ago

Sweet yolo

• twistedsisterarts

Jill Lawrence from twistedsisterarts said 3 years ago

I too, appreciate numbers and the stats that go with them. After being here on Etsy for over 5 years, and self employed on Etsy for the last 2, it's been a real up and down year in comparison to last year. I tried to diversify my shop, and found that what I had to do, was go back to the core business of my shop. My views have diminished, loosing about 25% in respect to the same product, using the same key words. I do wonder, in adding more sellers, I'd like to know how many of those sellers are stocking their stores with at least 50 items, or just setting up a store and then moving the product away later, leaving an empty store. I used to look at sellers, giving a generic name, and it seemed like 10% of the stores had listings, and the other 90% had little or no items listed in their store.

• charlesresen

Charles Resen from AnniesJewelryDezign said 3 years ago

This data will be of great value for future planning for any etsy site. Just recently started to explore the many different opportunities to assist in sucess. Very much appreciate that changes and support materials offered by Etsy and their staff.

• micheleveres

Michele V. from MidniteCreationsbyM said 3 years ago

This is encouraging! Yay!

• vanillastickcom

David and Maggie Simak from ZukrBoutique said 3 years ago

Really happy to see the instant checkout and Etsy gift card option for UK shops!

• hoosiermamma1

Vera Hall from hoosiermamma1 said 3 years ago

wow!

• slmp45

Sandy from PSSimplyVintage said 3 years ago

This is wonderful news! I now see Etsy at #3 on Google search.

• stephaniegrant960

Stephanie Grant from MomsMaineMadeSoaps said 3 years ago

After a 2 week dry spell I had 3 sales in a row in 24 hours. Hopefully this trend continues and I also hop it rubs off on everyone else!

• studiomosaics

Amy from TheRedPoppyShop said 3 years ago

It really boggles the mind, doesn't it? Yay for us!

• KaransPotsAndGlass

Karan from KaransPotsAndGlass said 3 years ago

very interesting... I would have never guessed based upon my sales this year compared to last year. I am wondering if the market is getting so flooded with additional sellers, that overall Etsy sales have gone up, but individual shop sales have dropped. Sure makes it hard as a tax-paying, insurance carrying artist to compete with others who don't have the same legal overhead...

• siamsawadee

Eve Naewmuang from SiamSawadee said 3 years ago

Wonderful news. We are proud to be a part of it. Go us! “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.” Buddha Eve Naewmuang, Bangkok, Thailand.

• KittyKatGlassDesigns

Libby Boyer from KittyKatGlassDesigns said 3 years ago

With my Google views and sales down 50% over last year, I'm glad somewhere on Etsy people are making money - it sure isn't in my shop!

• wrappedinleather

Esther Prat from WrappedInLeather said 3 years ago

Very interesting, I would also like to see what are the best selling items on Etsy. Acomparison on traffic ans sales to last year would also be great. I have been here on Etsy for two years selling the same items for the most part with the same key tags and my business as well as my traffic has dropped considerably.

• theberries

Mary Streeter from MoonlightingByMary said 3 years ago

Wish I could report such great numbers. My sales are half of what they were in September last year. I wonder why???

• LaDeaDeiSogni

Laura from ItaLaVintage said 3 years ago

WOW ! Thanks for the stats !

• irelala

Timo Limo from Timolimo said 3 years ago

Amazing stats!

• raimondaoh

Raimonda from AmberCoastStamps said 3 years ago

I opened this September. I'm still waiting for my 1st sale as well. Reading some of your guys, posts, things don't look that bright. Maybe it was a bad timing. My stuff may look too ethnic for buyers. Lots of likes but no purchase....

• loribethclark4

Loribeth from MomentsOfArt said 3 years ago

I haven't been here as long as some and I've been here longer than others. But September was the first month that I didn't have any sales since I opened my shop... None, Nada, Zilch. So, like others, I'm wondering where the stats came from also.

• laurascaramella

Laura Thomas from laurascaramella said 3 years ago

Impressive! I've seen steady growth this year! Love the reach we have through etsy!

• lindaphillips166

Linda Phillips from CleopatraDixies said 3 years ago

Interesting info. New to Etsy and looking forward to sales soon. Plan to expand categories and inventory.

• debe981

Deb E from JustforUnotes said 3 years ago

Very impressive...I'm hanging in there as well as others with slow sales. Always learning from you and other Etsy members! My day will come!

• AlexiBlackwellBridal

Alexi Blackwell from AlexiBlackwellBridal said 3 years ago

Amazing Stats for Etsy...good information. I know my sales are way up from last year so is my overhead and fees. September slowed down for me and October is a killer...very slow! I am wondering if by Etsy adding over 1 million new members if are sales are being diluted by these new sellers?? We will be losing some business with over 1 million new competitors! My concern mostly is that Etsy is now allowing mass-produced merchandise from China and others that is selling at very low prices. Some of these shops are selling lower than the materials cost in the USA!! I just saw a China shop selling a bracelet I saw for sale at Target!!! It would be good to know where the sales are mostly coming from.

• ForHisGloryStore

kimberly from ForHisGloryBooks said 3 years ago

I just opened my shop this year...so I've been pleasantly surprised at how rapidly more shop has grown since June. I think Etsy really put together a great customer and shop owner friendly site. I encourage all of my friends to open a shop. Hopefully my mom will be helping to raise the stats up for next year also.

• vertzvkv

VKV from vertzvkv said 3 years ago

I think it would much more interesting to know of the new members signing onto Etsy in a month, how many of them have stores and how many of them are shoppers only with no store. This would tell me whether I have more competition to deal with or whether I have the potential of new buyers. Otherwise, this new membership number means nothing.

• AcrossLeather

Lawrence Carter from AcrossLeather said 3 years ago

Etsy, How do I say it??? other than I love everything about this family here(Etsy). Reading and effort is what's recommended here. I did, I am and will continue as you have helped me be on the map. You etsyians rock! Lawrence

• carolgonzales2

Carol Gonzales from WhenYouSeekUnique said 3 years ago

I have been on Etsy for 7 months. With as many vendors out here on Etsy, I feel fortunate to even make a sale! I have really enjoyed the added map to see where hits come from. Very interesting! I like the ease of paying for the customer, ease of shipping. I'm hoping for more sales, and hanging in there! Thanks Etsy!

• DreamON

Mary Hamilton from DreamON said 3 years ago

Staggering statistics compared to "back when" I joined Etsy. I can't remember exactly, but I think Etsy reached a million members about a year after I opened my shop. Just to think there were over a million new members in September alone is mind boggling!

• polishedtwo

Tracy Owens from polishedtwo said 3 years ago

I have been on Etsy since 2007. Last year's September sales were great for me and even better this year. I am thrilled to have such a popular venue to sell my jewelry and the new tools make it better each year -- giving me a wonderful place to host my business. Love it here! Hoping to reach 15,000 sales by the end of the year. Many thanks!!

• polderfamily

Polder Family from OldWorldMarket said 3 years ago

We've definitely felt the growth! Over the past 3 months we've tripled our sales! Way to go Etsy! You guys have been making really great changes and improvements over the last year.

• sugarlily59

karen ross from lovetosalvage said 3 years ago

I hope some of this great news starts coming my way

• PreciousKnits

Lindsey from PreciousKnits said 3 years ago

Wow a BILLION page views!! Great job everyone!

• Rt9NJvintageFun

candy donnelly from Rt9NJvintageFun said 3 years ago

Would be very interest in seeing the %'s of the categories compared to this year and last year! This year for vintage has been a real challenge, would be great if next month we could see the %'s breakdowns to have something compare apples to apples! Thanks for listening Etsy!

• thetwistedscrew

The Twisted Screw from TheTwistedScrew said 3 years ago

Thanks for these details! They're appreciated!

• crown1001

P from MaxplanationPhotos said 3 years ago

thanks for the info

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 3 years ago

As always absolutely gorgeous information. October will be even better ! :) Thank you Etsy for the opportunity you give all of us!

• sheriberyl

sheriberyl from SHERIBERYL said 3 years ago

It would be nice to see same store data to give an accurate more realistic picture of what is going on. What % of sales is strictly new shops vs existing.

• BayMoonDesign

Kathy Lindemer from BayMoonDesign said 3 years ago

Hope this trend continues!

• cf1955

Caryl Faulkender from SeeCarylSew said 3 years ago

Have only been on Etsy since July of this year, sales started slow, but are increasing. The search ads are well worth the expense as one is just getting started. Hope the upward trend continues through the holiday season!! Thanks for the stats.

• Lilpunky

Ann from PrettyVagrant said 3 years ago

I would like to know what % of the new members opened up a active shop (with items for sale) and how many are buyers only. Some buyers open a shop account "just in case" and that is why I say "active shop". That would help put the number in better perspective.

• nancybaha

Nancy Baha from nancybaha said 3 years ago

Amazing!!! Keep that Creative Wheel greased!

• crookedsmilecreation

Ally from CrookedSmileCreation said 3 years ago

I know there's always talk about what Etsy has changed to direct/redirect traffic, and perhaps there's something to that, but I will say that I saw unprecedented sales in September, and I'm not a big seller on this site. So, if there is indeed something to the algorithm changes that are put in place, I appreciated the unusual traffic and sales, and now, I expect to go back to the typical low traffic and sales that I've always had. (Not negative, just real) Thanks for the numbers Etsy.

• mariaxelena

Maria Elena from ElenasCreativity said 3 years ago

Amazing!!!, this gives me some encouragement since I'm just starting out!

• ginandrummy

Shannon Anastasia from ginandrummy said 3 years ago

1,040,120 new members joined the Etsy community [in Sept.] sweet jeebus! no wonder it's hard to get a good shop name these days!

• anne4bags

Anne from anne4bags said 3 years ago

Part of the huge increase must be due to mobile apps. It is now so much easier to access Etsy from a range of different devices. That's a big improvement. Thanks! I would be interested to see the stats broken down into countries, as well. Many of them must be from outside the USA. So another piece of advice that flows from these numbers is "if you don't ship world wide you are missing out."

• dianebabin1

Diane from CruisinCreations said 3 years ago

This was helpful. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who is not growing on Etsy! If I didn't do craft shows on the weekends I would have so few sales I'd have to close up. My Etsy sales seem to cover the cost of listing new items and not much else. Perhaps Etsy has gotten too big! There is so much competition which is good for the buyer but not for the seller...

• KittyKatGlassDesigns

Libby Boyer from KittyKatGlassDesigns said 3 years ago

It would be nice to have number that actually tell us something. Like a breakdown in sales/listings by the categories, by the length the shop has been open, by location. I'll bet you MOST of the increase if in shops based in China, because my little HANDMADE show sure isn't seeing the sales OR views you tout.

• luluslabelsandprints

Rebecca Mizel Lowe from Luluslabelsandprints said 3 years ago

There is a lot of competition I agree with those comments. But hopefully as we keep adding more items, it will get easier for us to get found and share in some of those sales! Way to go Etsy sellers!

• ELS79

Emma from FawnandSquirrel said 3 years ago

Holy Crapola! These are amazing figures! I am just imagining all those busy hands making brilliant handmade wonders which in turn are making MILLIONS of people check their letter boxes twice a day in eager anticipation of whats to come. Well done everyone!!!.

• reVetro

Tiano from reVetro said 3 years ago

Impressive! Could you show us these in a graph layout?

• ABlindCat

ABlindCat from ABlindCat said 3 years ago

Thanks for the information. I can see with my own sales (YTD) how much better I am doing. Thank you all for the promotions & advertising that you have done about Etsy. September was a great month, & I am looking forward to the holiday season being super huge for us!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 3 years ago

How does the number of total member compare to last year at this time? Which is increasing at a faster pace; the members or the sales?

• laramored

Anemone from AnemoneReadsVintage said 3 years ago

Thanks for posting the numbers - it's always good to see :)

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 3 years ago

Up until recently, my shop growth mirrored Etsy's. Since May, things have slowed down and I accepted it as the ebb and flow of sales, but, this October has been dismal. It hasn't been this slow in my shop since I opened up. I know other well established shops are reporting the same trend. So, congrats on the upward trend and sorry I couldn't contribute to the great stats!

• JewelryDesigns2Di4

Diane Cherise Simons from JewelryDesigns2Di4 said 3 years ago

I agree that more detail is necessary to properly evaluate the report numbers. While I have enjoyed a steady increase in sales & views since I opened 3 years ago, the momentum that I had has dramatically dropped off the past few months. I thought I had finally turned a corner and then sales & views remained flat or tanked completely. The comment above about Etsy considering broadening its market to move away from strictly "handmade." concerns me. To do that will change Etsy into another eBay. If that does indeed happen, I hope that other investors see the value of a strictly handmade marketplace. Etsy has certainly prospered whoever steps up to fill the void Etsy leaves by becoming another eBay will proper also.

• TheBeadSuite

Shannon Stancliff from TheBeadSuite said 3 years ago

Wonderful news!

• citydetails

Jacki from citydetails said 3 years ago

•1,040,120 new members joined the Etsy community, 2.41% lower than August I'd love to know what percentage of these figures are buyers vs sellers.

• creationsbyminda

Mary Dixon from creationsbyminda said 3 years ago

Wow, I'm really impressed with these numbers. Etsy is a household name!

• YoungHeartWhimsy

Jacqueline Jc from YoungHeartWhimsy said 3 years ago

I agree with given points from most above. I have a niche but am on the very low end with views, and no sales for a few months. I'm hanging in there, have a small team, and am promoting friends/followers, etc. I too need stats % and break down for the small shops and/or small/nil sales. As much as I'm hanging in there with Etsy, I could use some google results and more info from Etsy, as many of you shared in various ways. I am staying, but I need all in perspective for the small folks.

• amostroutstudio

Amos Trout Paine from amostroutstudio said 3 years ago

Great! Maybe some more advertising for Etsy in multiple outlets will get us even higher numbers- Glad we are doing well though!

• Artistico

Kostas Tsipos from Artistico said 3 years ago

Wow, I'm really impressed

• KyraBotanica

Celia from KyraBotanica said 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing the stats! It is always nice to know.

• maryrichmonddesign

Mary Richmond from maryrichmonddesign said 3 years ago

That's pretty mind boggling, thinking of all those numbers!

• jlg835

Belmeade Signs from BelmeadeSigns said 3 years ago

I'm new at Etsy and I have to say the numbers are impressive.

• Pixie2428

Doris C. from SewBeautifulbyDC said 3 years ago

Wonderful news, it will get even better with holiday shopping coming soon !

• nowvintage

Bobbie from nowvintage said 3 years ago

This is great for Etsy! My sales are up over last year too, but not for September per say but more evenly through the year. Personally I am very happy with that. With Etsy making 109 million + or - a month, I would love to see a little more outside advertising. I honestly feel that there is still such a relatively small percent of people who know about Etsy.

• maggiesjewelry

Maggie S. from maggiesjewelry said 3 years ago

Great numbers, but I agree a little more breakdown would be nice. But some of that may just be me wanting to see more information rather than less in any situation. My numbers this Sept / October were higher than last year -- but I have a lot of variables to take into consideration about that. 1) I have grown my shop more than any other year. 2)I have focused a lot on photography and descriptions more so than last Sept / Oct. 3) I focus on building community on my social media rather than just "advertising". Without external variables affecting these numbers, it's hard to gauge what it all really means for the long term.

• Indounik

Indounik from Indounik said 3 years ago

I'm very, very fortunate that I had a bumper September - my best month ever on Etsy and it happens to be the start of my little shop's third year. July and August were very good too and while October is slower it's still been pretty good. I've loved being part of the Etsy community and especially loved the warm and wonderful customers it's brought to my door.

• catherinemollieee

Catherine McDermott from CANDYPANTSclothing said 3 years ago

That's so great! Lets keep topping ourselves! :)

• Pininkie

Tanya Stovold from Pininkie said 3 years ago

If I understand correctly, growth was a lot less this month than in the previous two. I think that was felt amongst the community, with a lot of people recording lower sales. And I saw that in my own sales - still growing but with a flattening on my stats graphs.

• 108BeadingHearts

Amy from DezineStudio said 3 years ago

My September numbers DOUBLED over last year (2 combined shops). October is now my 3rd record month. I am ecstatic to see that Etsy continues to grow. Cheers to Etsy, and our little (now big) Etsy community!

• sewlittleones

Cindy King from sewlittleones said 3 years ago

Awesome stats...Etsy is the best!

• HeritageBouquet

HeritageBouquet from ClassicContempo said 3 years ago

These statistics are encouraging. This is good news :)

• michael55555

Michael from TenArt said 3 years ago

Wow. That is a lot of traffic.

• lauratrevey

Laura Trevey from lauratrevey said 3 years ago

awesome, let's go ETSY!!

• katrinagreer1

Katrina Greer from KatsCache said 3 years ago

These stats are good but not enough information. Everyone is saying the same thing. Is there some reason Etsy doesn't want people to know more about site sales? Even eBay gives stats on sales. And eBay is not as technically up to date and responsive as Etsy is usually. Personally, my sales in September 2013 were better than September 2012, but my sales in October 2013 were less than October 2012. This is the first time that has ever happened. I am very disappointed. I blame the economy.

• clairestjames13

clairestjames from clairestjames13 said 3 years ago

I have more sales lately, but paid to advertise all the time. take out the advertising fee, not to good of profit.

• barbarascreativework

Barbara from BarbarasCreativeExpr said 3 years ago

Etsy is growing like crazy! I'm glad to have discovered this outlet for my creations. It would be nice to see the breakdown of the sales categories if that is possible........Thank you Etsy!

• freshandpoppy

Ashley Bryant from freshandpoppy said 3 years ago

Yayyyyy! Way to go ETSY!!

• BookWhisperer1956

Barbara from BookWhispererOnEtsy said 3 years ago

September was great in my shop.... October was horrid. I'll be interested to see if overall Etsy numbers were as impressive in October as they were in September... of it was just me. =(

• michaelquaia

michael quaia from mikeslinoprints said 3 years ago

Thank you Etsy..... made my first sale today, and i'm completely over the moon ;- ).

• JanellsFlare

Dana Pitzer Hester from SilverLeafByDana said 3 years ago

Wow it's hard to wrap my brain around those numbers! Absolutely amazing.

• InTheDay

InTheDay from InTheDay said 3 years ago

Thanks Etsy!

• woolenbrae

Mary Ragno from Woolenbrae said 3 years ago

Thanks and congratulations, Etsy! I am so proud to be a part of this community.

• carriehawks

Carrie Hawks from mixandmatchdining said 3 years ago

Great News!!!

• whitecrossmeimei

Jordan White from MeiMeiSupplies said 3 years ago

Stats are nice, but seems like growth in sales would be more relevant if we kept the number of sellers the same in the statistical time period. i.e, if we have 100 sales to 10 sellers, and then have 105 sales to 50 sellers, that increases overall sales to etsy, but not necessarily to each individual seller. In fact, the sellers in this scenario probably saw a decrease. Soooooo, how about comparing apples to apples, please?

• MorningGloryGallery

Randi Johnson from InTheLoopScarves said 3 years ago

I'm new to etsy.. well, finally got my shop up and running. I see people looking but no sales yet. I hope to one day see the some of that etsy success myself!! I know I need to get more items posted but I'm working on it!

• CLAMKINMAN

Bruce Ingrassia from CLAMKINMAN said 3 years ago

Great stuff Etsy. But inevitably, growth is dropping to almost half the rate it was for several years. That's why the investors want to broaden Etsy's market to move away from strictly "handmade." Best wishes to all sellers in this fine evolving Etsy!-- Comment made by Murray Bolesta above which I wish to address. If the board decides to do this than you will look like Ebay which is over commercialized. My suggestion to the board is Esty Handmade and Etsy Commercial-- 2 distinct divisions or one (the commercial) will devour the other and Etsy will loose its appeal and become just like Ebay only smaller. Handmade is what makes Etsy unique in the market place. DO NOT MERGE THE TWO AND DILUTE THE OTHER...KEEP THEM PURE. Divide your home page into two -- Handmade section only and a Commercial if you must do this poison pill.

• thecityloft

Sisters Maria and Kathy from thecityloft said 3 years ago

Our views have seriously declined over the past 12 to 16 months. The search ads were not showing us a return on our investment, so we turned them off. We are concerned that the 20-character tags are ignored by the big search engines. Today's search engines are looking for "phrases" not words. We find the 20-character tags limiting and insufficient to effectively describe many of our items. Moreover, search engines ignore repeat information such as text about shipping. Just as we shop owners must do everything we can to comply with the Etsy webmasters, Etsy must be sure its webmasters are truly masters and doing everything they can to bring the search engines to us!

• GinaJordan

Gina Jordan from GinasSoftClothShop said 3 years ago

Good thinking, Bruce! I agree 100%

• enchantedlockets

Vicki from EnchantedLockets said 3 years ago

I only wish my stats reflected this. Whatever.

• lauralovesdaisies

Laura from LauraGrishamDesigns said 3 years ago

September was okay for me but October was a complete bust! I was beginning to think I was going to have to close shop. My November sales are much, much better. It will be interesting to see the stats for October. Then maybe I will know if it was just ME whose sales were null and void.

• metalicious

Stephanie Maslow Blackman from metalicious said 3 years ago

Amazing stats and great points in the comments about the growth overall. Will be interesting to see how the new terms about manufacturing affect sales.

• ClarityGR

Ioanna Poimenidi from ClarityGR said 3 years ago

Big number always excite people but these numbers mean nothing to me as a seller. Good for etsy thats for sure and for every seller here but it doesn't help me understand the greater picture and how I can adopt my selling strategy accordingly. What I would like to know is things like.. conversion rates, abandonment rates, major traffic sources (to promote me there if I don't already), selling trends, customer profiles and such. Is there any source where I can find meaningful statistics on etsy sales and customers?

• chrisitnemalcolm

Christine Malcolm from ScentualJourney said 3 years ago

First I want to congratulate Etsy for being a great site with wonderful creative shops and great customer service. I have loved creating my store on your site and also shopping around for wonderful products. I tell everyone about your site. After I read all the above comments I started to get the bigger picture and not just about expansion but how important additional stats would be to many of us. Etsy seems to value giving us detailed stats on our own shop products but not on their weather report which is very generalized and brief. I feel that the beauty of Etsy in selling handmade and other items that are one of a kind or in small quantities will be drummed out of business if you open this site up to large manufacturing companies. I joined Etsy to offer my handmade items. I even thought having more than 10 of each would be too much for this site from what I was told. Will your site become a Walmart of sorts, an international conglomerate of large corporate manufacturer's who will join you due to the reasonable fee's which are miniscule for them. I can see how this would be a positive thing for Etsy to increase their own profit and possibly bring in potential buyer's for the smaller businesses but in the Etsy searches we could be pushed to the back of the list and never see the light of day so to speak because these larger companies have the marketing resources to completely turn the tide to their advantage compared to the people who may not have the sophisticated knowledge of SEO etc. and have had the convenience of working from their home while many have day jobs. I am actually depending on this shop together with my own website to make a living. I realize now that this is impossible and I do not blame Etsy as it has given me an opportunity for more exposure and even the additional benefit of google sponsored ads. I was so very delighted to find this out after I put my shop up. What a plus and I am so grateful for this however I am very disappointed in the evolution of allowing large manufacturing companies who will undercut and radically change the way the 'company mission' of the site was from it's conception. This is what has made Etsy special and distinct. If this pushes your current shops out of the market you will be left with a completely different market and site. Why not make a different site for commercial companies? If this mass market inclusion happens I will be forced to leave Etsy. Why would I want to keep renewing my items and never make a sale? You are creating a great opportunity for another entrepreneurial enterprise to start up a site that mimics the creative endeavor you started back in 2008.. Will Esty prefer to look at the bottom line of profit and view the small shop loss as collateral damage? Respectfully submitted.

• iDesignStationery

iDesign Stationery from iDesignStationery said 3 years ago

I'm new to Etsy, but I'm very pleased with the sales I have to so far. Surely wasn't expecting that! @Sisters Maria and Kathy: I agree the 20 character tags are very limiting, but I wouldn't worry too much about the search engines. I do Google searches very frequently for my store on another site. Before, the other site was dominating Google image searches, but over the past 3 months, I've seen countless of Etsy products appear in the search results.

• beloveddoll15

Beloved Doll from BelovedDollDesigns said 3 years ago

As always, glad to see stats like this. Thanks, guys. :)

• craftsupplyjaipur

JAGDISH PRASAD from Moomal said 3 years ago

What a Figures ,, Love you Guys All the Very Best

• smallfamilies

Julien Martinez from POTOKandFriends said 3 years ago

Thanks for the information ;)

• 46thandmain

Anita Roefer from 46thAndMain said 3 years ago

I would also be interested in Handmade vs Vintage items sold. I'm happy that so many members are joining Etsy too. Its not just about competition among sellers but also keep in mind that artist buy from other artist too. I've both received gifts and purchased items from other Etsy sellers and I have a shop of my own. As a community I feel we should be supporting each other too. Next there are a lot of repeat/copy items in Etsy yes. However that's an opportunity to really expand our own creative skills and offer something that no one else may have. This is why I started my shop. I didn't see much like my products out there. Even if I add items to my product line that's already out there I intend to add my own unique touch. Every shop should strive to be unique. Finally perhaps Etsy should consider having an application form and minimal fee to prevent saturation of repeat or copy cat shops. This might hinder a few artist from starting their own business but this may also make artist more serious about being creative on producing their own work. It also doesn't help that major businesses like Target, Urban Outfitters, etc. are taking ideas and mass producing work seen on here.

• annekennedy5

Anne Kennedy from TheSchoolforStyle said 3 years ago

These figures are staggering, almost too good to be true, but not really helpful to me as a shop owner. They seem more oriented to promoting an Etsy's stock, or an IPO, than helping us grow our businesses. The Stats you give us for our own shops are fantastic. However that just makes me wonder why you are so coy with more detailed views of the entire marketplace. Knowing what sells, how and why, at other shops like mine will only increase sales for everyone so I don't see why you hold back the information. You clearly have it and are very good at making it understandable. I want to see a bigger more detailed picture.

• Binzorama

Binzer SW from Binzorama said 3 years ago

SURE SURE. lol

• REF0RMATl0NS

Craig Anthony from ReformationsUK said 3 years ago

This is my first year of selling...fingers crossed :)

• ChristinaNixon

Christina Nixon Cole from TogetherAgainGlass said 3 years ago

My September stats were higher in September compared to August. It's nice to see that Etsy's stats were similar.