Etsy Statistics: November 2013 Weather Report

Dec 13, 2013

by Michelle Traub

In the new year, we’ll be revamping the Weather Report! You should expect to see it in late January — get excited.

While some folks were out leaf-peeping and gourd-decorating this past month, Etsy sellers were waist-deep in packing peanuts, beginning to ship the frenzy of holiday gifts. With a 39.7% increase in GMS compared to November 2012 and a 35.4% increase in items sold, there’s certainly reason to frolic.

The stats:

• $147.5 million of goods were sold; 28% higher than October
  • That represents 7,430,698 items sold for the month, 26.1% higher than October
  • 3,505,221 new items were listed in November, 12.1% higher than October
  • 1,381,666 new members joined the Etsy community, 22.5% higher than October
  • 2.15 billion page views were recorded on the site (including web and mobile)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in November!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

• BlackForestCottage

Donna and Darrell Knish from BlackForestCottage said 3 years ago

Wowy, sounds like things keep on moving in the right direction.

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 3 years ago

It would seem that November should be higher than October…closer to Christmas and all…so good for this! On my Etsy Wish List: These same breakdowns by category. Please help me know exactly where my category stands so I know what part of that category I contribute to…or don't, depending. Okay?

• shawnz

shawn foster from shawnz said 3 years ago

Amazing how etsy is growing!

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 3 years ago

This is fabulous growth! I am grateful to be seller on Etsy!

• Rt9NJvintageFun

candy donnelly from Rt9NJvintageFun said 3 years ago

Michelle Traub, Can't wait to see the new revamped Weather Report, thanks to you and Etsy for listening and talking our suggestions! This is the perfect Holiday Gift for all Shop Owners. Looking down the yellow brick road.......... 2014 will be Fantastic for us all! Thanks again for being open to positive Changes! Champagne toast all around!

• christinabrimage
  • CutOutTheFun

Mary Richmond from CutOutTheFun said 3 years ago

Those are amazing numbers! Can't wait to see the new format in January.

• debrobinson

Deb Robinson from debrobinson said 3 years ago

Amazing!

• lavenderrabbit

Donna from LavenderRabbit said 3 years ago

Great numbers! Here's to continued growth!

• lavenderrabbit

Donna from LavenderRabbit said 3 years ago

Great numbers! Here's to continued growth!!

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 3 years ago

Etsy is lookin' towards the bright future! glad to hear the great results :::-) although i've noticed a slightly descending tendency in my shop stats. anyways, i sense the bright days ahead!

• TuristaClothing

Mario Medina from TuristaClothing said 3 years ago

Im a happy camper for both November and December. Here's to a New Year!

• KnitzyBlonde

Sandie from KnitzyBlonde said 3 years ago

I've been on Etsy since 2007 and it's been interesting to watch the growth over the years! It's been a good online place for my business. I've also made some great friends from team participation, and am happy to be a small part of Etsy's growth! Here's to continued prosperity for all of us. :)

• rosealida

Jennifer from RoseAlida said 3 years ago

Love that its moving up! Sold items is key to Etsy shops flourishing. Glad to know the stats.

• giftforallseasons

Dianne from giftforallseasons said 3 years ago

Bringing my pressed flower art to Etsy in 2009 was the best thing that could have ever happened for me. Not only does it bring wonderful people, who I now call my friends, into my life worldwide, it drives me to be better, do better, learn, and exceed my customer's expectations, and mine as well. Each year is a learning experience, growing creatively , and re-inventing myself each year as a small business.

• perlasegovia

Perla Segovia from PerlaSegovia said 3 years ago

Those are great numbers! Looking forward to 2014!

• tinysparklestudio

tinysparklestudio from tinysparklestudio said 3 years ago

Etsy is da bomb!

• ethyricalartist

Donia from DoniaLillyFineArt said 3 years ago

Are they going to include what portion of new members are new shop owners vs just buyers/browsers? I think that would be really interesting info, especially given the loosened seller regulations and subsequent influx of knock-off shops selling stuff so cheap I don't know how they're managing it, or if they're gaming the system somehow (how do you sell something for 20¢ when it costs 20¢ just to list??)...

• ridgehill7

BeMyCharm from BeMyCharm said 3 years ago

I am only a new seller on Etsy and WOW those are huge figures. I am still trying to find my way and figure things out . Been a blast so far !

• silkoak

Jan Rhodes Norman from silkoak said 3 years ago

Thanks for these. A request for 2014 would be to have a weather forecast that came out ahead of the month, to help us plan our marketing. Kind of like the old Merchandising Desk. Trends, forecasts, holidays, merchandising tips to be aware of! Thanks!

• artfuliving

Kelly Campbell Berry from artfuliving said 3 years ago

I love how Etsy has grown. Joining the Etsy marketplace was the best business decision Ive ever made

• yourgreatfinds

Miss Linda from Yourgreatfinds said 3 years ago

Wonderful numbers! Etsy is going up and eBay is going down. I have a store on both sites. My eBay store is 15 years old, my etsy 9 months. I am looking forward to more growth and am positioning my etsy shop to be my main store. Etsy has it going on! eBay is old news. Etsy rocks !!!

• BluewaterStudio

BluewaterStudio from CzechBeadBoutique said 3 years ago

WOW!! over a million new members!! November was AWESOME!!

• honeystreasures

Michael and Lisa from honeystreasures said 3 years ago

We're excited and certainly felt the increase in sales! Thank you for the updates.

• pablowood

paul alexander from AnotherChanceShop said 3 years ago

It may look like I'm sleeping......But only a dog could sleep through this fantastic experience! ETSY makes me want to get out of bed every day! Keep up the good work everyone!

• tam24s

Tammy Smith from TLHandpaintedCrafts said 3 years ago

Amazing numbers! So excited to be part of the Etsy success. Here's to continued success for everyone! Have a great Holiday Season!

• mememe558

Kiki from KikisLeatherShop said 3 years ago

Keep up the good work everyone!

• art4ear

Deborah from art4ear said 3 years ago

Amazing numbers! So proud to be a small part of this success!

• Sandhillwoodworks

Robert Egbert from SandhillWoodWorks said 3 years ago

Wow way to go, I hope I can get a piece of that.

• millingtonmill

Mary from MillingtonMill said 3 years ago

Etsy is thriving because Etsy is NICE to their sellers, makes it easy to list instead of the obstacle course that ebay sometimes becomes. And the Etsy community is so respectful and helpful to each other because the Etsy management sets the standard. That's my take. Thank you all!

• TalisonTreasures

Teri Drake from TalisonsTreasures said 3 years ago

Etsy makes it easy, Thank you! Happy to be a part of it & looking forward to a successful 2014 :)

• fredrickvegas

FredrickVegas from StashFromThePast said 3 years ago

I started to open my shop but stopped because I was not sure if this was the right place for me as a seller but after seeing these impressive growth stats and all of your glowing responses, I am going to finish the details and get my shop open! Congrats to all who helped make Etsy a great place to be a seller! I know I enjoyed the relaxed atomshere as a buyer, so thank you!

• EvolveJewelryStudio

Ryanne Sebern from EvolveJewelryStudio said 3 years ago

Thanks Etsy, for all of the support! This is such a positive community it can be nothing but a successful selling experience. I'm grateful to be part of it!

• ewaklu

Vintage-Me-Now STUDIO from VintageMeNowStudio said 3 years ago

Wow! Amazing numbers!

• babygraceprops

Darlene from BabyGraceHats said 3 years ago

Fantastic news! Very thankful to be part of Etsy. Happy sales to all in 2014!!

• feckit

Jo Taylor from JoRiffraffTaylor said 3 years ago

Cool! Glad other sellers are doing well! However, since the android app was updated and messed-up my photos, i've had no sales atall. October was great, with at least 2 sales a week then, bam, app-update_no sales.

• bethgilliam1

Beth Gilliam from GranArt said 3 years ago

This was a good weather report, thank you!

• WomanShopsWorld

Carter Seibels Singh from WomanShopsWorld said 3 years ago

So awesome to see the upswing. Thank you etsy for being an amazing platform....truly. And here's to seeing those numbers on the upswing into 2014!!

• jillmandy

Jill Amanda Clark from JACPatterns said 3 years ago

Wow that's amazing, great job to everyone at Etsy and the shops involved.

• silverlily786

Fatema from SilverLilyJewelry said 3 years ago

Awesome growth once again!

• leabhen

Leah from leabhen said 3 years ago

These are some wonderful numbers! Looks great:)

• TheBarrelRack

Diane Bassetti from TheBarrelRack said 3 years ago

Congrats Etsy on your awesome growth!! Our last three orders came in through Etsy...thanks! Diane

• boinne

Michelle from philosophiacreations said 3 years ago

These results don't surprise me but I'm nonetheless thrilled to see them. November was a very good month for me, and I'm grateful. Can't wait to see December's stats!

• webspeak

Lola from WhiteDogArtefacts said 3 years ago

Wow, really Etsy is really growing. Started my shop during the summer and have had really good sales starting in October. Really took off in Nov. and Dec. I am really happy and am going to start a second shop in 2014.

• karengoble

Karen from MagnoliaTreeandCo said 3 years ago

Great news! Love to hear that Etsy is growing and that online shopping continues to rise! November was a great month - and December has been great as well. Looking forward to the new year and all the possibilities it will bring with my shop!

• Skywalkerfutes

Charles from SkywalkerFlutes said 3 years ago

my first year and I'm more than happy with the results. The info you offer us and the help available is fantastic. Proud to be a member. Making plans for a bigger and better new year.

• CurlicueCreations

Jennifer Schifano Thomas from CurlicueCreations said 3 years ago

That's good news. Things have been slowly but steadily improving in my shop over the past year. Looking forward to another year of growth. Go Etsy!

• kustomkwilts

Joanna Marsh from kustomkwilts said 3 years ago

Great news for Etsy sellers! I'm honored to be a member of this artisan community!

• ColleenEve

Colleen Eve from ColleenEve said 3 years ago

AMAZING!!!!! Shop Local just got REAL right here. :) Thank you Etsy for everything you do to support all of us make our dreams a reality!

• ntupy

jitka Tupy from trendcorner said 3 years ago

Wow ! Very nice

• SewMuchtoSell

Michele from SewMuchtoSell said 3 years ago

Love the numbers! I had a huge 2013! Etsy has turned my hobby into a business! Cheers Michele

• illuminativeharvest

Jennifer Presler from IlluminativeHarvest said 3 years ago

Great information

• WSDesigns

Wendy Shray from WendyShrayDesigns said 3 years ago

Sounds like some good growth! Are there numbers on how many shops are on Etsy and how many are added every month?

• marykraft2

Mary Kraft from MarKatKrafts said 3 years ago

I'm so excited for the coming year. I opened my shop in Oct. and was happy with my sales but Nov. and Dec. were even better. Now that i know what I;m doing, I hope that 2014 is a great year for everybody. Thanks Etsy, Mary K

• robertolupini

Roberto Lupini from RobertoLupiniPhoto said 3 years ago

Wow! I'm new in Etsy, but I didn't think this enormous numbers. That's great: maybe soon I'll make my first sell!

• LakesideQuiltsMaine

Brenda from LakesideQuiltsMaine said 3 years ago

I need for Etsy to add Totals on revenue reports.. on gross sales and net..pretty please?

• mtngrlz

Serena Hallowell from SerenaHallowellArt said 3 years ago

Glad to know there is so much potential!! Looking forward to being a part of it. I also would like a category break-down to know what is selling the best.

• torysvic

Vic Torys from GiveMe5ive said 3 years ago

Wow that is great! I like it! :)

• jewelvision1

Heraldry Jewelry from 3DHeraldry said 3 years ago

As a new member, received a lot of views quickly and hoping for more exposure for the future. Thank you Etsy.

• rachbing

Rachel Bingaman from BingArt said 3 years ago

Great to see these statistics! December's will be interesting to see... it was also a great month for me :)

• saraderousse

Sderousse from IntentionGems said 3 years ago

Great info-- thanks!

• szkatulkaami
  • GaryRam

Gary and Heather from littleRamstudio said 3 years ago

First November here for us and it has was great. Good to see who Etsy is doing.

• GoddessEngraving

Joanna Alley from GlassGoddessNgraving said 3 years ago

November was a good month! Glad to be doing my part to help those sales figures climb.

• leevalker2012

Lee Valker from ArtWithStickers said 3 years ago

November was a good month!

• sarashep3

Sara Shepperd from OldColorModern said 3 years ago

I hope that's good news for someone just joining! I'm excited!

• selecttoget

M Waseem Butt from Damascusknives said 3 years ago

here i am , may you love to have it https://www.etsy.com/shop/Damascusknives?ref=si_shop

• caroleads2

Carol Eads from justartrageous3 said 3 years ago

I am brand new to Etsy, after 15 years at Ebay. I love seeing the numbers go up for Etsy, and feel 100 percent more comfortable about putting my time and effort into my store. Everyone is so nice, and the atmosphere is positive. Ebay has so many anti-seller policies, and I look forward to a happy career here.

• hissyfitoly

Lucy from hissyfitoly said 3 years ago

please explain why the Weather Report has now been discontinued: https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/14185339/page/18

• sanasel

Muna from Sanasel said 3 years ago

I hope the weather report makes a comeback soon!

• airgarden

Alex H. from AlphaBands said 3 years ago

No more weather reports?

• PrairiePrimitives

Tana Taylor from PrairiePrimitives said 3 years ago

Please bring back the Weather Report! I really enjoyed watching Etsy grow!!!