Etsy Statistics: May 2013 Weather Report

Jun 19, 2013

by Michelle Traub

Can you feel the refreshing breeze of community-driven growth? A 56.3% increase from May 2012’s to May 2013’s total of dollars of goods sold lures us into warm days ahead. (At the same time, items sold were up 68.7% year over year.)

The stats:

• $102.9 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in May, 1.2% higher than April’s $101.7 million
  • That represents 5,118,562* items sold for the month, 1.35% higher than April
  • 2,855,505 items were listed in the month, 0.9% higher than April’s 2,830,804
  • 977,061 new members joined the Etsy community in the month, up 4,837 or 0.5%, from April
  • 1.37 billion page views were recorded on the site in May

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in May 2013!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

*Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how this statistic had been calculated, and have since corrected the figures to be more accurate.

• valeriephoto

Valerie from valeriestitchery said 4 years ago

Exciting! Thanks for the update. I know my own stats reflect this trend.

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong…my sales are so sadly poor. So, I'll just be hopeful for July. Thanks Etsy for all you do.

• CynicalGirl

Mary from CynicalGirl said 4 years ago

April was pretty dismal so I don't know that this is much of an improvement. Not significant growth as far as I can tell.

• OceansideCastle

Laura from OceansideCastle said 4 years ago

I look forward to this monthly stats posting! Thanks

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 4 years ago

Great job Etsy. Keep up the good work.

• grapevineforge

Jeremy from grapevineforge said 4 years ago

here's to hoping things pick up for all of us! a good month for my shop is selling one thing! :)

• WomanShopsWorld

Carter Seibels Singh from WomanShopsWorld said 4 years ago

Thank you Etsy for being fabulous!!!

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 4 years ago

WOW! Etsy is the fastest growing market place in the world! Thrilling! Thank you Etsy!

• BlackForestCottage

Donna and Darrell Knish from BlackForestCottage said 4 years ago

I wait to see these results every single month to see if I fall into those stats lol. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

Great but why are sales so terrible???

• nowvintage

Bobbie from nowvintage said 4 years ago

My sales are much improved from last year..

• MyHomemadeHome

Susannah from HandmadeBySusannah said 4 years ago

I am certainly looking forward to 44% increase in sales this year!

• loosepetals

Karen Young from loosepetals said 4 years ago

exciting news, and seeing sales grow each month!

• nuevowoodcrafts

Jesse Esquivel from NuevoWoodcrafts said 4 years ago

You Grow Etsy!

• piccadillypastimes

Ginger and Tim from PiccadillyPastimes said 4 years ago

We just joined in May. Looking forward to being a part of this exciting and innovative community and growing our very small business! : )

• graciousbridal

Audrey Craig from GraciousBridal said 4 years ago

I've been selling on Etsy for less than a year, and consistently see growth each month. If only had more time to keep listing new items. Thank you very much, Etsy!

• disheveledideas

Oksana from disheveledideas said 4 years ago

so many new members joining, incredible!!

• MakeMeSmileCrafts

Joan from MakeMeSmileCrafts said 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Etsy. Growth has been incredible the last few months, thanks for your hard work to keep us current. Change is not always easy, but I think is needed to keep us all on the map here at Etsy.

• etfattoamano

elisabetta trautteur said 4 years ago

HI everyone! I live in Italy and I make children and adults T-shirts and other apparel for children. I never sold online and I'm thinking to start this new challenge...But I have some questions before! First of all in Italy people are not very into handmade apparel and so I have to try deal with the rest of the world! In this sense how can I fix my prices if the despatche's rates are so high? Maybe there are some couriers that employ special rates for aour kind of job? I know ithat the idea looks very naive but maybe there's an answer somewhere... How many items can deals per month a seller of my category? I'm trying to do a businessplan to understand if it's worth it to start the challenge on etsy.... Thank you any way, and I hope I didn't do inappropriate questions...

• peonyandthistle

Peony and Thistle from PeonyandThistle said 4 years ago

Good news and we're very happy that our shops have contributed to those figures!

• jsnflores06

Shanna Flores from QuirkyQuafts said 4 years ago

Awesome! Glad to hear....

• SimplyDaisyDesigns

Wendy from SimplyDaisyDesigns said 4 years ago

Oooooo, good May stats, I am starting to get excited about fall !!!!

• theheartoffashion

The Heart of Fashion from TheHeartofFashion said 4 years ago

This is such exciting news! Thank you for sharing! Keeps me motivated to find ways to improve my own shop.

• Candlescapes

Marianne from PineknobsAndCrickets said 4 years ago

Business has been wonderful and getting better every month! Thanks for the monthly stats!

• limitz

Limor Haim-Matityahoo from Limitz said 4 years ago

Amazing numbers! Am I the only one thats noticed the outstanding photo on the top of this post??:-)

• TheBeadedBead

Sharri Moroshok from TheBeadedBead said 4 years ago

May and June have been outstanding in my shop. Thank you etsy and keep up the great work!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Yay! Looking forward to the holiday season and even bigger numbers.

• FrugalFairyVintage

Pam from FrugalFairyVintage said 4 years ago

Thanks for giving these stats. They are a great tool for the sellers. May has 31 days vs April with 30 days so per day sales are about flat: 141,648 sales/day in May 141,981 sales/day in April Also the overall Etsy views have dropped to lowest level in almost 1 yr! Wonder if admin has a plan to get these views back up?

• NicolasKnitKnacks

Nicola and Jessica Belton from CelticKnittingCo said 4 years ago

Great to see the update event though I'm new at this! It's good to see what its like out there!

• JacyDesign

JacyDesign from JacyDesign said 4 years ago

It's encouraging to see the stats and see people are and can be successful on Etsy. Thank you for this info!

• laramored

Anemone from AnemoneReadsVintage said 4 years ago

thanks! this is my first weather report - so interesting to see!

• takeshiokada2

Takeshi from takOdesignstudio said 4 years ago

Thanks for the statistics! and +1 to the great photo up top!

• garnetfleuri

Helen L from Garnetfleuri said 4 years ago

These stats are great news for a newcomer like me .... Just shows how much great talent there is on Etsy!

• michele325

Michele from MichelesAManoDesigns said 4 years ago

I recently opened my shop and am getting more and more familiar with everything. The stats mentioned are amazing. I am so happy to see so much of it go to those who create with their hands...everyone has been so supportive and friendly. From what I've noticed so far, it's more like a family. Looking forward to building my shop and helping others down the road some day!

• RedBarnArt

Susan Williams Phillips from RedBarnArt said 4 years ago

Unfortunately I number among those who aren't reaping the benefits of those stats. And like others, I wonder what I could do to improve my sales here. I have tried the ads...and not only not sold with them running, but not seen increased viewings. I love etsy, but for sales, it's leaving me cold. What to do?

• BigPhilsEmporium

Philip Lisle from BigPhilsEmporium said 4 years ago

My sales are stable, would always like to sale more, but that might correlate with not enough items in my shop. Being vintage I feel I need at least 500 items. I am at 250. I will keep listing! Go Etsy!

• rachbing

Rachel Bingaman from BingArt said 4 years ago

Wonderful! May was my best month, yet on Etsy! Looking forward to Christmas in July now :)

• sageworks

Miriam Sagefemme from SageWorks said 4 years ago

Now maybe Etsy can afford to get rid of all the resellers on the site, particularly in an unnamed country overseas.

• ionesAttic

Barbara from ionesAttic said 4 years ago

While the stats are above are encouraging I am not seeing the increase or impact in my shop views or sales. May/June of 2013 have been lack luster for me compared to the same time last year. Curious to know if the ratio of vintage sellers in the marketplace has doubled or more since last year and how that has impacted revenue.

• Thebaroqueprincess

Lisa Neuberger from Thebaroqueprincess said 4 years ago

I ditto what Barbara is saying. I have noticed slow July and higher fees. I had a great June,,?