Etsy Statistics: March 2013 Weather Report

Apr 16, 2013

by Michelle Traub

The planet might be taking its sweet time to thaw for spring, but here on Etsy, everything was blooming.

The stats:

• $101.7 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in March, 9.7% higher than February’s $92.7 million
  • That represents 5,124,968* items sold for the month, 8.7% higher than February
  • 2,932,874 new items were listed in March, 9.8% higher than February’s 2,671,146
  • 1,036,352 new members joined the Etsy community, 1.1% higher than February’s 1,025,124
  • 1.57 billion page views were recorded on the site

The $101.7 million of goods sold (after refunds and cancellations) represents a 62% increase from March 2012’s total. At the same time, items sold were up 69.2%. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in March 2013!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

*Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how this statistic had been calculated, and have since corrected the figures to be more accurate.

• PillowChix

PillowChix from PillowChix said 4 years ago

Wonderful!!! So great to hear!!! We love Etsy!!!

• renphotographycouk

ren a from renphotographycouk said 4 years ago

Awesome! hopefully in April some buyers will find their way to my shop :-)

• kimberleekeane

Kimberlee Keane from QueenOfDeTile said 4 years ago

This is great!

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 4 years ago

Very interesting! It would be very useful if stats for the same period last year could be included in the weather reports as well.

• tinytokensdesigns

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns said 4 years ago

Still would love to know how many of those new members are sellers or just buyers.

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

Everything for me is oddly about even for Jan., Feb. and March. Exactly the same on the orders which is really weird. March revenue up a pinch more than Feb. but slight drop from Jan. :)

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

I'm glad Etsy continues to grow at a steady pace!!! Wish my shop did too... March was good to me. :)

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

Yeah, I second Crochetgal, I would love to see the month compared to the same month last year!

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

Hah I was just looking that up to compare. http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2012/etsy-statistics-march-2012-weather-report/

• nichojon

Nichole Kirk from BeautyofHeart said 4 years ago

Woo hoo!! Awesome!!

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry said 4 years ago

Good to see the average sales amount per item has gone up slightly!

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 4 years ago

Nice to read. I am agreeing with crochetgal re a comparison with last year - a graph would be wonderful as Etsy continues to grow.

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 4 years ago

Its amazing to watch Etsy grow at the capacity it does. Wonderful!

• AnatomicalQuilling

Sarah Yakawonis from YakawonisQuilling said 4 years ago

Fabulous! Time to get quilling to do my part for April!

• ThoughtfulRoseSupply

Sharon from ThoughtfulRoseSupply said 4 years ago

March was a great month for me! Nice to see that it was a good month for other Etsians as well!

• WoodenItBeadLovely

Leslie M from WoodenItBeadLovely said 4 years ago

Amazing!

• chicagolandia

Ann from chicagolandia said 4 years ago

Always good to see an increase on year over year sales. While March was a little slow for me, April is looking good so far.

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 4 years ago

Great news! Tfhings were busy in my little part of the etsyverse too.

• jamiespinello

jamiespinello from JamieSpinello said 4 years ago

Thanks for the post. I would love to see visual graphics included as well as numbers.

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing! While March was certainly better than February for my shop, is was wayyyy down compared to last March! Interesting to see how April will play out!

• nirvanaqween

Jennifer Jackson from PIXELGRINphotography said 4 years ago

Wow. Good news! Thanks for the update!

• nirvanaqween

Jennifer Jackson from PIXELGRINphotography said 4 years ago

This is awesome news. I'm glad to see these numbers on the rise. I think like Jamie said, adding visuals would be an amazing edition. Also, the ability to see the actual numbers from the previous posts!

• MyHomemadeHome

Susannah from HandmadeBySusannah said 4 years ago

Great News!

• krjewelrydisplays

Kathy from krjewelrydisplays said 4 years ago

Great news! Thanks for sharing this info.

• dayslonggone

Gwynne Collins from DaysLongGone said 4 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• PinkDragonflyCrafts

Rocky from PinkDragonflyCrafts said 4 years ago

Great to see the overall growth:) makes me want to work even harder to keep my shop going and get ready for that Mother's Day rush!

• ManInTheMoonHerbs

ManInTheMoonHerbs from ManInTheMoonHerbs said 4 years ago

As much as I did my heels in when it comes to change, it's obvious from these stats and from my own shop's stats that you are doing it right, Etsy. Thank you!

• msamandajayne

Amanda Jayne from MsAmandaJayne said 4 years ago

Interesting.. I didn't grow (i went backwards). I also have seen alot of people complain about the sales. I wonder what the people are buying.

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 4 years ago

Congrats to all. Having the additional stat information would be very helpful. Great idea Crochetgal

• buffalogirls

Ludmilla from buffalogirls said 4 years ago

Wonder how many from total of 1.57 billion page view were stats pages? Glad the sales are up. Again, I wish the old time machine was back so we can see what is selling. Thanks.

• thehobotrain

Renee from thehobotrain said 4 years ago

So awesome! I have been having a phenomenal April so far. ♥

• LynettesArt

Lynette from LynettesArt said 4 years ago

Growth...it's wonderful!! Thanks so much Etsy for all you do for us!!

• That70sShoppe

Natalie from That70sShoppe said 4 years ago

Interesting. And as far as numbers being up from February, March had 2 more days than February so that would account for some of the increase. March of 2012 was the worst month that whole year and after the first three months of this year it looks like it may be the same. I guess our kind of vintage doesn't sell as well in March. April is already looking almost as good as March and it's only about half over. :-)

• MySweetieBean

Ivy T from MySweetieBean said 4 years ago

I can agree with that! For me March 2013 was double last March. In fact, March 2013 ended up being my best month ever on Etsy! Here's to continued growth! =)

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 4 years ago

My March was great and April is starting out even better:>)

• MakeMeSmileCrafts

Joan from MakeMeSmileCrafts said 4 years ago

Super news!! My sales have been steadily increasing ever since October 2012, each month doing better than the last. Thanks Etsy for giving me a place to sell my creations and earn the money our family needs. Good luck to everyone on a super April and rest of 2013!

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

March was a great month for me, and April looks like it's going to be even better. As long as my numbers are headed in the right direction, I'm happy.

• VillaCollezione

Villa Collezione from VillaCollezione said 4 years ago

staggering stats! glad to be part of march success! yay!

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 4 years ago

Yeah! Etsy is taking it to the next level:))

• 1337art

1337art from 1337art said 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Interesting.

• partsbync

Amy D from PartsbyNC said 4 years ago

Generally March isn't a good month for me, but like the data suggest this March was better for me than last March...

• reganyang2013

Regan Yang from SeasideRainbow said 4 years ago

I love Etsy, hope I can sell more items too.

• WhitebirdDesign

Joan from WhitebirdDesign said 4 years ago

I know my personal stats for sales and views have been declining the last few months and so far April is the worst month I've had for sales in several years. It's nice for etsy that etsy is growing by millions of new members each month, but I can't help thinking that all those new shops mean more competition for me!

• HandcraftedorVintage

Nelleke from HandcraftedorVintage said 4 years ago

To be honest, I can hardly believe 1,036,352 new members joined Etsy in March, nor do I believe that 1,025,124 did in February. All these statistics say nothing and are not very helpful.

• beachseacrafts

Marilyn from beachseacrafts said 4 years ago

agree...1st qtr slowest since I opened 3 yrs ago.

• thenewcrochet

alexandra from TheNewcrochet said 4 years ago

I only started a few months ago, but March was definitely the better month for me... hope this tendency will continue. But it would be great to know how many buyers and how many sellers are added monthly instead of one round figure including both.

• WhitebirdDesign

Joan from WhitebirdDesign said 4 years ago

would also like to know how many of these new members are shops and how many without. And yes, stats don't really say much. For instance, I used to get excited when someone liked something in my shop, but I have at least several people a week "favorite" multiple items in my shop and others, but then I check their profiles and see a lot of them have no feedback and never buy... so ratio of views and favorites to sales mean nothing.

• Ebrown2503

Eleanore from FiberBeads said 4 years ago

Thank you for all your reporting and hard work on our behalf. Cudos to the small business owners.

• alydeedesign

Alyson from AlyDeePaperDesigns said 4 years ago

That's awesome! I only just started my Etsy shop, so excited to see where things go.

• divinecartomancy

Bren from PsychicBren said 4 years ago

This is wonderful. I Certainly hope that everyone gets a piece of this growing pie!

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 4 years ago

Tending to Agee with Nelleke here. We need better data.

• LifeCovers

Sally Lucas from LifeCovers said 4 years ago

Totally amazing!

• flytrap

flytrap from flytrap said 4 years ago

Testing carriage return. Just out of curiosity! Not being cheeky. :)

• AnnieHowes

Annie Howes from AnnieHowes said 4 years ago

Would like more comprehensive data.

• EarthbutterStudio

Desiree Malan from EarthButterStudio said 4 years ago

My shop has been growing steadily over the past year and March was my best month. Thanks.

• boygirlparty

boygirlparty from boygirlparty said 4 years ago

I love Etsy but am also really scratching my head about what's going on here. I've been on the site since it first opened, one of Etsy's oldest members, but over the last year have really felt my sales suffer and I just can't make sense of it. Is Etsy's per shop traffic declining overall? The weather report site-wide always seems to be increasingly positive while established shops like my own are feeling the weight of some kind of change.

• boygirlparty

boygirlparty from boygirlparty said 4 years ago

By the way, not trying to criticize, just wondering if there's any more information that could help shops like mine understand how to adapt! :)

• PookieandJack

Suzanne and Melissa from PookieandJack said 4 years ago

Fantastic numbers, but with the increase of shops every month, it is going to become harder to be found!

• TheSewingGin

TheSewingGin from TheSewingGin said 4 years ago

As long as the numbers of sales keep going up that's a great thing.

• MelanieHollandArt

Melanie Holland from NanabojoDesigns said 4 years ago

unfortunately none of those sales were to my shop lol ohhh well it's still nice to see that other shops are doing so well!

• JaceJewelry

JaceJewelry from PersonallyYoursCases said 4 years ago

Inspiring to see Etsy's steady growth.

• JaceJewelry

JaceJewelry from PersonallyYoursCases said 4 years ago

Always inspiring to see Etsy's monthly growth.

• accessorize

S Hogan from accessorize said 4 years ago

Are there statistics on how many new members are buyers vs how many are sellers?

• estoite

Adeline Sutiswan from Estoite said 4 years ago

wow amazing!

• Rudolfkurz

Rudolf Kurz from Rudolfkurz said 4 years ago

Good for etsy. Not for my shop! It's sure not happening for me. The marketplace has grown to be too big.

• Rudolfkurz

Rudolf Kurz from Rudolfkurz said 4 years ago

It's sure not happening for me. Something is fishy with these results...

• CarlaLovato

CarlaLovato from CarlaLovato said 4 years ago

Thank you.

• Crystalsidyll

Crystal from Crystalsidyll said 4 years ago

I was surprised to find (with the help of my mathematically gifted husband) that while items sold had increased almost 50% the page views had only increased 16%. I had been suspicious that all the changes being made caused shoppers to wander around the site fruitlessly searching for what they wanted. I am happy to see that is not the case.

• dougrasmussen1

Doug Rasmussen from GrandpRasWoodworks said 4 years ago

The general statistics are impressive, but is there a way of drilling down for further information? I can think of several things I would like to know - What categories sold the most? What subcategories within those sold the most? How many shops sold items vs. shops that did not? What sale ranges occurred (i.e. <$50, $51-$100, $101-$500, etc.) With the influx of new members (I am one) and an overall increase in dollars and sales, what is the average sale per member? (If new member growth exceeds the average per member revenue, this is not a positive trend). Of views and favorites and followers, what is the breakout of buyers vs. members? What is the average $ generated per favorite, follower, admirer, etc. Crystals comment yields another challenge. Statistically, it would appear that overall items sold occur with those having the highest rankings - This would be consistent with Google statistics citing that most people do not go beyond two pages in selecting a purchase. That said, with the millions of members, there are only a limited number of spaces for top billing no matter how good and conscientious a seller may be about maximizing their web positioning. I am not criticizing Etsy, as I am certain they have worked hard to get this up and running, but as a seller (albeit new) I want to be able to evaluate the venues I use to maximize my sales. A better breakout of statistical trends would help me do this.

• dougrasmussen1

Doug Rasmussen from GrandpRasWoodworks said 4 years ago

I have read all of the threads. As a person who has been in business outside this arena, I would say the comments from Ben are the most valuable (although his frustration tends to taint an excellent analysis). Having been through the various quality improvement trainings including 6 sigma, I would stress that expanded statistics and drilled down facts do not have to be a threat. Identifying problems and weaknesses as well as strengths allows for the opportunity to make intelligent and informed modifications. I do not expect perfection from the Etsy model, in fact, given the complexity of managing a rapidly expanding concept suggests the administration has done a respectable job. In any venture like Etsy there will be those who increase their business, those that remain stable, those that lose business and those who never get off the ground. Individual comments in making decisions can lead to what questions to ask, but it is only in looking at large scale trends and indicators that a true picture is gained. Without a more informative and meaningful statistical basis that is shared with the members, there is a real danger Etsy will collapse under its own weight. I believe a solid approach on Etsy's part would be to seek member input on the kinds of statistical data and research that would provide a clearer picture of the overall model. From comments I have read here and in other forums, it suggests there are some really sharp people willing to make positive contributions in improving the Etsy member experience.

• Silkworth

Patty Villanova from silkworth said 4 years ago

In addition to selling my hand painted silk scarves on Etsy, I also have a small retail store in New York's Hudson Valley where I sell a variety of accessories and gifts. I have had a brick & mortar retail business for over 8 years and am really glad to have found a place like Etsy to sell my work on line. That being said, I don't think there are too many people selling on Etsy who will say they can't keep up with the demand for their work or products. The buyers out there are constantly changing and the more choices they have, the harder it seems for us. I think the answer for Etsy is more advertising of Etsy itself - just as Ebay is doing. For goodness sake, Ebay is advertising on national cable TV and all over. They have a catchy slogan, "if it's on your mind, it's on Ebay" or something like that. Etsy needs to market itself all over the map. Get those marketing geniuses to do radio, TV, internet advertising. For a company this big that is growing by leaps and bounds, it's amazing how many people have never heard of Etsy. Meanwhile, everyone on the planet knows what Ebay is. Etsy is always telling us how to market our work and our brand. They need to take their own advice and market ETSY.

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

good say this. Good on Etsy!

• BeadLady74

Amy Spock from BeadsandThreadsbyAmy said 4 years ago

I agree with Patty-I would like to see Etsy advertise more. In fact, I believe the support, community, and policies are MUCH more buyer and seller friendly than Ebay. I also believe the products are better!

• Emariecreations

Samantha from Emariecreations said 4 years ago

Always excited to hear Etsy is expanding and growing!

• nicova

nflapper from LittleHappiece said 4 years ago

Just open my new shop. Hope everything will be fine!!

• SimplyDaisyDesigns

Wendy from SimplyDaisyDesigns said 4 years ago

Patty, I agree with you! Everybody needs to know where/who we are!

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

Do we have a comparison of March last year to this year?

• psiga

Petar K from LaLuShop said 4 years ago

This is great!

• PoshPrincessBows1

Sheila Rinehart from PoshPrincessBows1 said 4 years ago

My wheels start turning when I hear the HUGE number of visitors Etsy gets in a months time!!

• erikasinkeviciene