Etsy Statistics: July 2013 Weather Report

Aug 20, 2013

by Michelle Traub

Who’s got time for vacation when there are numbers to crunch? With a 45.2% increase in dollars of goods sold compared to July 2012, and a 48.1% increase in items sold, the community’s been more active than ever before.

The stats:

• $100.9 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in July, 7.6% higher than June
  • That represents 5,010,344* items sold for the month, 7.0% higher than June
  • 2,710,619 new items were listed in the month, 3.7% higher than June
  • 1,004,204 new members joined the Etsy community, 8.9% higher than June
  • 1.4 billion page views were recorded on the site in July (including web and apps)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in July 2013!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

*Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how this statistic had been calculated, and have since corrected the figures to be more accurate.

• FrugalFairyVintage

Pam from FrugalFairyVintage said 4 years ago

I thought that the # of sales for July 2012 (per last yrs report) was 3,384,201. That would make the sales increase year over year to be 28% and not 41%. Was there a change to the previously report numbers for July 2012?

• ramonahall

Ramona Hall from ramonahall said 4 years ago

Looking at the statistics graphs in search: Bracelets - 50% sell for $11 or less Necklaces - 50% sell for $20 or less Earrings - 50% sell for $11 or less Bracelets, necklaces, and earrings that sell in the $40 range or higher make up approximately 10% of sales. So, at least for jewelry, shops may be selling many items but at very, very low price points. Those of us who sell OOAK jewelry would not be able to buy the supplies to make our pieces for $11. Sadly, browse and trends have not been very supportive of OOAK artisans.

• mtraub

Michelle Traub from mtraub said 4 years ago

Hey Pam — The 41% represents the yearly growth in transactions after refunds and cancellations. The 3,384,201 number from last year's report was before a full year's worth of refunds and cancellations. We want to be sure to take these into consideration in order to portray an accurate depiction of sales. Hope that clears things up!

• FrugalFairyVintage

Pam from FrugalFairyVintage said 4 years ago

So it sounds like last yrs number was closer to 3,075,672. Wow! thats alot of refunds/cancels - about 300,000 in one month. With the new dashboard feature the yr over yr trend is now on the radar for many shop owners.

• MrsPetersonPottery

Brianna Peterson from MrsPetersonPottery said 4 years ago

Brilliant news Etsy. I love buying as much as I do selling on the site, I think many others feel the same. $$$ rock on!

• GeorgieGirlLLC

D George from GeorgieGirlLLC said 4 years ago

Wow! I made two sales! I don't think I contributed 0.00000001% to those totals. I still have high hopes! Thanks for sharing!!

• CactusHuggers

Murray Bolesta from MurrayBolesta said 4 years ago

For several years the year-over-year growth curve was in the 70% range, now it's in the low 40s. Interesting to see this finally "slowing," but growth is still super impressive. Best wishes to all for Etsy success.

• RockArtiste

Rock Artiste from RockArtiste said 4 years ago

I am liking some of the new changes on Etsy. The dashboard in the stats is a handy tool. Since the new search features have been added, my shop has rebounded from near death! Hoping this Holiday season is much better than last year. By your stats, it looks like things are picking up slightly.

• sistersilver

Randy Thill from sistersilver said 4 years ago

I live in a town that "dies" during summer months because of the heat. It is great to have Etsy sales climbing to help make the economic picture a little more rounded. As for the OOAK artists....My suggestion is to do your one of a kinds and then some production. After 45 years, I have found that is a good balancing practice. Makes me appreciate both ends of the spectrum and makes me love Etsy even more for giving me a chance to sell both in the same place!

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

July was an awesome month for me. (August is another story, but hoping for good things this coming week). So happy to be part of Etsy!

• WalterSilva

Walter Silva from WalterSilva said 4 years ago

Great information here!

• krjewelrydisplays

Kathy from krjewelrydisplays said 4 years ago

Thanks for this information Etsy!

• kellysmagnets

Kelly OSullivan from KellysMagnets said 4 years ago

Very interesting stats. I like that Etsy overall is still growing - and that my shop is also following that trend. I love you Etsy!

• HiJinx

Lynne Adamson from HiJinx said 4 years ago

All great news. As a small business owner, I am overwhelmed by numbers over 3 digits but I see my shop in an upswing this month (as normal after being on Etsy since 2006) but the trend seems to be even more positive than last year so here's to a great holiday season... cheers!

• TutusChic

Sarah from TutusChicOriginals said 4 years ago

Any increase in sales volume is good news, no matter how you shake it out. I know that if I had a website on my own again that I would still not garner the exposure that I get here. I think the exciting news is that "1,004,204 new members joined the Etsy community, 8.9% higher than June"!! More members, more exposure= more sales :) XOXO-- thanks Etsy!

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 4 years ago

Interesting stats congrats to all.

• BeBoldBoutique

Belinda Leybold from TheTattooedPlatypus said 4 years ago

I reopened my shop in march of this year. My sales were slowly growing week by week, everything looked good. Lots of views and people favoriting along with a few sales a week then July hit and it was like my shop disappeared into a wasteland of people barely looking and no one buying. August has very slightly picked up but barely. Here's hoping!

• GrandmasVanity

Michelle from GrandmasVanity said 4 years ago

I sell on other venues as well as on Etsy. Etsy has been my go-to, my staple and my out-performer of them all AND I love the spirit here. I feel very comfortable in my little funky shop in my little funky Etsy niche.

• brighteyestreasures

Deborah Streeter from BrightEyesTreasures said 4 years ago

Interesting stats, I agree. However, my sales for this summer are not reflecting Etsy's numbers. My sales are the lowest I've seen in the 5 summers I've been with Etsy. Usually June and July are two of my better months. Sadly, not this year. Some of my lowest months I've had since going full time with my business -- over two years now. I hope it is not signs of things to come. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the fall will pick up considerably. Thanks for keeping us informed. Deb

• tinytokensdesigns

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns said 4 years ago

Oh joy...1,004,204 new sellers/resellers

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 4 years ago

It's good to see that steady growth month after month... the best kind!

• VintageFrocksOfFancy

Michaelann from VintageFrocksOfFancy said 4 years ago

It is great to see the big picture of what is happening with all Etsy sellers. I can get tunnel vision just looking at my shop's stats day after day. Seeing how many people joined Etsy in just one month reminds me of how many new buyers there still are yet to reach. Thanks for all the info!!

• sewadorablefabric

Hannah Eisenberg from SewAdorableFabric said 4 years ago

I started in March and have almost 500 sales! Proud to be part of Etsy!

• GrizzlyCreek

Debbie Roney from GrizzlyCreek said 4 years ago

Thank you very much for sharing the info :)

• DTBLTD

Debra from Gallery122 said 4 years ago

I feel the momentum of my shop growing, so the report makes me smile. :)

• kristincoffin

Kristin Coffin from KristinCoffin said 4 years ago

Great news for Etsy! And equally as wonderful for sellers as it is for buyers. I know that as each year passes, my sales nearly double here in Etsy. 'Tis an absolutely beautiful thing!

• SBStudioDesign

Sandra Berube from SBStudioDesign said 4 years ago

I'm happy to have opened a shop on Etsy offering my invitation designs and having so much fun at the same time! I look forward to continued growth and success!!! Wish I had discovered Etsy years ago!!!!

• Indounik

Indounik from Indounik said 4 years ago

This July was my best month ever on Etsy so I'm a happy contribututor to your stats. Happy too to see tthat membership growth.

• handmaid4theLord

Julie Lutz from rosarybraceletwrap5 said 4 years ago

It is great to see etsy growing, as I on my second summer and have faired at least twice as well as last year! Time does increase sales on etsy. Like OaKK, from the jewelry perspective on etsy, many artisans in my line of work undersell their bracelets in terms of cost of materials. I would love to see etsy develop a grid guideline for jewelry sellers when they are listing pieces to see when establishing pricing, so we can be supporting one another and not underselling to uniformed customers. Food for thought. Great news etsy!!!

• MariMartin

Mari Martin from MariMartin said 4 years ago

Fantastic, congrats to all. Great news!

• WingedWorld

Vickie Moore from WingedWorld said 4 years ago

Etsy is becoming such a global force for good in the way it connects sellers with buyers, allowing so many small businesses to flourish! This growth is phenomenal.

• hadleyclay

Hadley Sedgwick from hadleyclay said 4 years ago

I can't wait to see what this month's sales are like! It seems like things are really picking up!

• jennifercoralie

Jennifer from virgomoon88 said 4 years ago

Great to see that some of us are doing well. My sales have gone down over the past few months, especially compared to last year. The stats can be depressing reading. One of my shops sells art, and artists are not doing well. Perhaps we need more promotion??!!

• DreadnaughtDarling

Kera from DreadnaughtDarling said 4 years ago

I'm excited. I've already hit my sales total for last year by August. So, the upward trend is fabulous to see. I hope it continues!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to the holiday shopping season.

• srs1994

Stephanie Steadham from MyHoneypickles said 4 years ago

Awesome numbers!! Hope things continue to climb for each of us!

• stareyez76

Elizabeth M from twenty3stars said 4 years ago

My stats actually reflect this exactly. July was my best month by far.

• territhrall

Teresa from BroadRiverExchange said 4 years ago

We are new to Etsy and things are moving slowly, but I am hoping for a bright future!

• FreshRetroGallery

Elizabeth Knaus from FreshRetroGallery said 4 years ago

I like the new dashboard that at a glance shows comparisons for the day and the year before. Higher numbers, yes! It doesn't happen by itself though, it does take work.

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 4 years ago

great infos to hear :)

• sweetsere

Kim Rose from Sweetsere said 4 years ago

OVERSATURATION

• xurple

jen from xurple said 4 years ago

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns says: Oh joy...1,004,204 new sellers/resellers *** Etsy says: 1,004,204 new members joined the Etsy community, 8.9% higher than June. *** That's MEMBERS, not sellers (or resellers). Some of the new members likely are s/r, but not all are.

• howdyfromlisa

Lisa from CrystalIntentions said 4 years ago

I opened my shop in June and am very excited about it's growth so far. Thanks for the stats!

• lavendergardencottag

lavendergardencottag from LavenderGardenCottag said 4 years ago

Lots of new shoppers! Can't wait for the holiday shoppers!

• Absoknittinglutely

Nadia Majid from AbsoKnittingLutely said 4 years ago

Interesting numbers. I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown by country as well.

• Rockindogs

Patty Schranz from RockinDogs said 4 years ago

July was my biggest month ever! August is a bit slower.

• MountainGoth

Suzanne Love from MountainGoth said 4 years ago

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, 300k cancelations in refunds to adjust the number from last year, is that normal? It seems really high. Should we consider that the same percentage of cancelation and refunds will effect the number for this year? Kind of seems like we are comparing apples and oranges. Still love Etsy, my sales are definitely up over last year.

• sweetgumballinc

sweetgumballinc Gumball from sweetgumballinc said 4 years ago

Thank you Michelle for those numbers and the info. Etsy continues to be a learning process for us...but WE LOVE IT! Love the teams, the information, and as always...so impressed with all the talented people out there! We love being a part of the Etsy family. {{{hugs}}} to all!

• lovemeeksie

Marika Reppas from lovemeeksie said 4 years ago

I noticed this increase too, when comparing my own stats! July 2013 has been awesome compared to last year! Thank you, Etsy, for your continual site improvements -- I think it really makes a difference!

• debsfloridadesigns

Debbie Doscher from DebsFloridaDesigns said 4 years ago

I joined this year and am hoping to see more sales as the holiday season approaches. Definitely still learning about joining teams and utilizing all the tools available for continuing to grow a business. Most of all, I love having a place to sell the things that I love to make and appreciating what others make and finding some fabulous items!

• charleenhall

Charleen Hall from Shopperswelcome said 4 years ago

My shop has been really slow, I was having a lot of hits, no sales, but I figured things were just slow, I am paying for the 14.00 ads...but it has gotten even slower...so Im really not sure where to go next...hopefully it will pick up soon. Im just holding on.

• mimishingleton

Mimi from aTreasureInStore said 4 years ago

Ditto for a great July. Reminds me that its time to stock for the holidays, not too soon. I'm off to check out the report in more detail. Thanks Etsy for being a great selling platform for the little guy?

• TashMilne

Natasha from HunnyBeeds said 4 years ago

Is this for all of Etsy (Europe included)?

• laurenelysefineart

Lauren Elyse S. from LaurenElyseFineArt said 4 years ago

Hmmm, wish I could see some of this on the OOAK art end. But congrats to those who are selling!

• MaggiePainting

Maggie Flatley from MaggiePainting said 4 years ago

Amazing!

• ElainesCrafts

Elaine McCormick from ElainesCrafts said 4 years ago

So far August has been really good for me. I'm hoping it's the start of a busy Christmas season!

• SweetBohemianLife

Kathryn Greenwald from SweetBohemianLife said 4 years ago

This is great news! My shop has already done more this year than the entire last year! I LOVE Etsy!

• SweetBohemianLife

Kathryn Greenwald from SweetBohemianLife said 4 years ago

This is great news! My shop has already done more this year that last year. I LOVE Etsy!

• jonesoperations

Scott Jones from MZBETZY said 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. It gives me an idea of how big Etsy is.

• sbartlett45

Shelley from SBartlettBracelets said 4 years ago

I hope my little Shop picks Up Soon - because I'm working so hard.

• vintagedame

vintagedame from vintagedame said 4 years ago

All of my shops have been slowing..... :(

• isewcute

June from isewcute said 4 years ago

July was great for me...definitely more sales this year vs last year! Thank you for the update!

• decoraland

Silvia from decoraland said 4 years ago

you're welcome! thank you for the report! hope these millions of numbers come to my shop, too! :)

• justinpames

Justin Ames from JustinAmesDesigns said 4 years ago

I have been steadily picking up since the first of the year but July straight through to present have been the best so far, especially for our bigger pieces and custom orders..... We're really starting to have fun!!!

• ArtMadeByTammy

ArtMadeByTammy from ArtMadeByTammy said 4 years ago

Wowza! Great growth!

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat from mazedasastoat said 4 years ago

Is there any way of knowing whether the new members are sellers, buyers or both? If they're mostly sellers then it's going to get increasingly difficult to get found... I'm certainly getting fewer views than last year, sales are about even, but dollar amount is down. But summer is always slow, everyone has better things to do than sit indoors in front of a computer. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of sales/views in different categories, just out of nosiness. :-)

• JustineJewellery

Justine Chabińska from JustineWorld said 4 years ago

Wow! It was my best month and i hope that the next will be even better for my little shop :) Thank you for the info!

• rarevinyl

rarevinyl from JustCoolRecords said 4 years ago

Great stats, thanks for sharing! A word to those looking for promotion from Etsy, I have found that diligent self-promotion works wonders. My sales have doubled every month this year over last year, and I believe that is in part due to Etsy's site improvements and picking up the tab on Google Ads, in addition to my blog and promoting myself on various social media. Keep it comin! : D

• cookieconcepts

Lynn from KandyKoncepts said 4 years ago

Thanks for the stats! Great to see new members on board, whether they are new sellers or new buyers. Our community is growing and making "Etsy" a household name!

• Pysar

Yuri Pysar from Pysar said 4 years ago

go ETSY, GO!!! :)

• 1020d

Anna Rozman from 1020d said 4 years ago

Thank you for the great info! I love Etsy. There are so many talented artists in this community, I could spend hours browsing, adding favs and shopping.

• obocreations

Olya oBo from oBocreations said 4 years ago

would be very interesting to know europe stats. Being not in US it is even harder to compete on price with the shipping cost but here in europe the odds are in my favor

• CrystalsDesignMind

Crystal from IKANDiiAccessories said 4 years ago

July was good for me but I'm hoping to have an even better September! August has been ok. My views have been picking up these last couple of days though!

• Nettie8

Nettie Boogaard from Nettie8 said 4 years ago

Thank you for being part of the Etsy community and cheers for the success. Although my shop Nettie8 doesn't sell YET!.....I continue to create art for the pure love of creating something out of nothing..... Love, Nettie, the Netherlands.

• diza

Asdis Loftsdottir from DizaIcelandicdelight said 4 years ago

I am glad to be a part of this community:) My winter sweaters dont do well in the summer months, understandably. I hope that sales will pick up and that my shop will grow...love from Asdis in Iceland

• VintageCharlie

VintageCharlie from 10PaperLane said 4 years ago

After being an avid Etsyaholic shopper for 5 years... I finally decided to open a shop and test the waters in April this year. In my first 4 months I am almost at 200 sales and I am overwhelmed with how well my shop is performing. I am constantly inspired by the Etsy Seller blog.. especially the Quit Your Day Job series. Thanks for keeping us in the loop and doing alot of the market research for us that as a small handmade business, we could not do ourselves. ♥

• rachbing

Rachel Bingaman from BingArt said 4 years ago

This past July was a good month for my shop. I expected it to be slow and to have some down time- no such thing :) Thanks for updating us with these numbers.

• PrairiePrimitives

Tana Taylor from PrairiePrimitives said 4 years ago

I just celebrated my 7th Etsyversary last week. I've always enjoyed reading the Etsy Weather Reports. At the moment, I am $26 away from doubling what I sold on Etsy in all of 2012!

• shirleyjarrett

Shirley Jarrett from ShirleySewDesigns said 4 years ago

My sales were up from last July, too, so I guess my shop is following the trends reported here. I am an Etsy buyer as well as a seller and overall, I think Etsy is the best venue for artist and crafters. Love this community and being part of it.

• HillCountryGlass

Claudia from HillCountryGlass said 4 years ago

Wish I could be as enthusiastic as many of these Etsy sellers, but my sales in 2013 are almost non existant (2 total) WAY WAY less than my previous two years. I have tried making some adjustments using suggestions from Etsy , but so far nothing has changed....very disappointing!

• CWolfedesigns

Chris Wolfe from CWolfedesigns said 4 years ago

I manufacture and sell out of my garage which I converted into a boutique and work room which does pretty good locally, but I could not reach the people that view my shop without etsy I don't even spend money on advertising in a 100 mile radius it's wasted money. Thanks etsy for all that you do just wish there was one more category and that's by country's flags like totally made in the USA or Canada or Mexico,etc than people shopping could support artisans that live work and pay TAXES in there country.

• ByLightOfMoon

Cyndi from ByLightOfMoon said 4 years ago

Thanks for this information, very interesting! Smiles, Cyndi

• RenataandJonathan

Renata and Jonathan from RenataandJonathan said 4 years ago

Interesting information !

• UnexpectedTreasure

UnexpectedTreasure from UnexpectedTreasure said 4 years ago

Great growth! It's been slow for me this year on Etsy but I'm still plugging along. LOL

• indypicker57

Mark from VintageItemExchange said 4 years ago

Read most of the comments and have only been here since last month, but don't get tunnel vision. The news from eBay land is not good, they are continuing to work towards an Amazon.com model and could care less about antiques, collectibles and handmade. There will be a large customer base start to shift as this continues to happen. I have been selling on-line since 2008 and left eBay in 2011. Have worked other sites but the amount of traffic Etsy generates is impressive. eBay evolution will dissuade many so called [garage] sellers who will drop out. On Etsy you need to market yourself, eBay sellers have the 900lb gorilla to market for them and probably won't want to have to market there stuff/shop. Cheers, Indy

• ArielSimone

Adrienne Yancy from ArielSimone said 4 years ago

Wonderful to hear! Congrats everyone!

• studiolara316

Lara Harris from studiolara316 said 4 years ago

wow! this is GREAT news!! who-hoo! :)

• carolwagner1

Carol Wagner from VintageBettyLuke said 4 years ago

This sounds like great news. Hoping for a great holiday season. I am going to work harder in this vintage shop this winter and skip my hand made jewelry store for now. Like stated earlier, I can 't sell my hand made jewelry for an average of $11 dollars. I can't wait to see how my vintage store does through the winter as I advertise it more!

• BrightgemsTreasures

Patricia Grant from BrightgemsTreasures said 4 years ago

dont forget the CIJ sales? that would have contributed to much of the increased sales activity plus the lower price points. I didn't do any special sales this summer as i did last year and my sales did go down as a result but I probably made just as much money because I didn't under sell myself like many DO. I really wish that trend would change;0( your products have value YOU decide what your item is worth!!

• HandToCraft

Bell from HandToCraft said 4 years ago

Wow! Great information. Thank you

• KayLeverton

Kay Leverton from KayLeverton said 4 years ago

Always good to see growth, I have suffered this year but stick to my Scratchboard prices because in the UK people go ballistic if they find it cheaper on Etsy. I know this makes it more expensive for overseas buyers but it is quality. I urge Etsy makers and sellers to be realistic over pricing, you do no-one any favours by under pricing. I have bought some items I liked in all price ranges and cannot see how some have even covered their costs. This is bad business practice and hard on those of us who live by this work. I love Etsy but don't give your creativity away cheap.

• weatherfordangie

Angela Weatherford from myprettiesofSC said 4 years ago

Hi everyone and thanks for all of the info both good and bad...but I like the good much, much better! lol . I have been a part of etsy only since Feb of this year and I did it to earn a few extra bucks...I am pleased to say that my shop does very good business MOST of the time....Please feel free to come by when you have time and I will gradually visit and see all of you also. Here's to happy holidays for all!!!

• girlslovebows

T.J. from girlslovebows said 4 years ago

Great info and good job etsy and etsy sellers. I love selling and buying on etsy. Thanks everyone!

• LANCERIKA

erika from lancerika said 4 years ago

It's great, but I wish it could help the artists that paint for a living,the saturation is overwhelming, we drown in the gigantic sea of etsy :-(

• cheriefehr

Cherie from ElegantArtifacts said 4 years ago

I've sold at many venues and Etsy is by far my favorite - I LOVE ETSY!!! The people are wonderful, sales are good - way beyond my expectations - and i look forward to growing in the coming year. Thank you Etsy for being the best online selling/shopping site.

• PaulinaB

Paulina Buncic from TheCraftySampler said 4 years ago

I've noticed sales are slower in the summer due to kids being home and parents needing money to feed, clothe and entertain them. It's about back to school time, so after people buy school supplies and clothes, sales will start picking up again. At least that's how it's been for me in sales for the last 5 years. This is my first year on Etsy and I am optimistic. I love that there aren't any ads to distract people, it's all about the Artisans here. I do get more likes than sales, but I'm getting my shop noticed and hopefully remembered during the holiday season. I love selling here more than when I had my own domains and websites with all the overhead cost!

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 4 years ago

Always fun too look at the Numbers

• ClassicBabyWhites

LaQueta from ClassicBabyWhites said 4 years ago

Wondering how many shops there are on Etsy now?

• StrokeofGeniusCards

Patrick and Annie from SevenMilesPerSecond said 4 years ago

Here's to continuing the trend! We've seen similar results as our business has grown. All the best to our fellow 'shopkeepers'.

• croth2

Cindy from Christmastreetops said 4 years ago

I hope this trend continues for Christmas, since I sell most of my merchandise between Oct- Dec! I comparison of 2012 to 2013 , per month, will be interesting to see.

• valeriakondor

Valeria Kondor from ValeriaKondor said 4 years ago

Etsy rocks for sure! So happy to be part of it! :-) I noticed even among my friends that more and more people know about it. Online buying is becoming really popular and Etsy is such a great platform for it!! Congratulations to all of us!

• LaraineRose

LaraineRose from LaraineRoseHandiWorx said 4 years ago

Thank you for this information. I was very happy that my sales improved in July. I am looking forward to the August results. I'M IN LOVE WITH ETSY!!!

• letemendia

Victoria from letemendia said 4 years ago

Good to know about Etsy's healthy growth. My sales have also been steadily (albeit slowly) climbing :-)

• truconn

Trudy from WhatnotGems said 4 years ago

As a new member of Etsy I am enjoying reading the stats and comments. Since I Opened on May 17, 2013, I have had 11 sales. Not bad for a new shop. 5 orders in July and 4 already this month. I wish I had joined Etsy earlier as the community is very helpful. The information from Etsy is great. Now back to Keywords.

• PerceptionUnlimited

Ella Birt from ExistentialElla said 4 years ago

Working with Etsy has been a life-changing experience for me. I have a way to organize my creative energy, make great additional monthly income, and connect with like-minded people. I've become a real business woman, partially due to my interaction with Etsy, and their awesome blog!

• TheDulceVida

Myra Pizarro from LittleLemonadeStudio said 4 years ago

I am looking for fall trends. When do these stats come out?

• retromonkeys

Mary Beth from retromonkeys said 4 years ago

Great news for the community! I'd love to see a breakdown by category: Vintage, handmade, supplies. I know as Captain of the Pattern Sellers' team - we are all suffering from a huge drop from last year. We won't give up, we work hard to stay relevant!

• etchythings

Mei and Frank from etchythings said 4 years ago

explains my busiest month so far this past July! woohoo.

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

Summer has been awesome for me so far. Not sure if it has anything to do with this growth but it definitely cannot hurt. To those of you worried about too many new sellers; lots of my sales have come from new members who do not have a shop. Overall, how can it be a bad thing to have more buyers and a growing name for etsy?

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

I would be very interested to see how the income has broken down by sales BY different countries. In my category, Barbie clothes, the number of sellers has ballooned. More options for customers which is good. The sales price varies greatly which sometimes makes me wonder if these items ARE handmade or in a little sweat shop. I bring this up because totals are great for quick, general comparisons. I feel that I would like to know how my market is working globally. Further, my sales figures are probably skewed by a few custom orders I had recently. My regular business is completely flat, and we have added items during this time of stagnation. Finally, I know we have asked for this in the past…could we please see breakdowns by category…just a few larger categories? Like, HANDMADE, VINTAGE, SUPPLIES for a start?

• sweetsere

Kim Rose from Sweetsere said 4 years ago

How many sellers are there on Etsy?

• lacegrl130

Dorothy Jane from lacegrl130 said 4 years ago

July was much better than June for me. August has been a little June-y - hoping for a great kick off to the holidays. Thank you ETSY for the venue.

• lacegrl130

Dorothy Jane from lacegrl130 said 4 years ago

My July was better than my June and it follows this trajectory. August has been kind of June-y for me. Can't wait for the holidays to begin!

• EstelleBillot

Estelle Billot from EstelleBillot said 4 years ago

My # of orders doubled in July, fingers crossed for August! I did a lot of SEO, rewriting, etc, and it does pay off :)

• swansonglassdesign

Sharon Swanson from PrettyPictureGiftsCo said 4 years ago

Each month I look forward to the numbers! This summer's sales did not drop off like last summer, so I am very lucky this year! A lot of my summer traffic is coming from Etsy Google ads - thanks :O)

• ExclusiefByVera

Vera Tempelmans Plat from ItsVera said 4 years ago

Great stats and I'm happy to be a seller on Etsy. It's a great venue for those of us who have done the craft fair circuit and larger shows (One of a Kind Christmas Show in Toronto for 7 years). To sit back and play in my studio and able to sell all over the world from my computer desk is wonderful, Etsy. But I do have a couple of thoughts: Pricing is still an issue with a number of sellers on Etsy. More information about pricing must be repeated regularly to educate old and new sellers. Just because the materials sellers use are inexpensive the costs of labor, electricity, heat, time, wrapping, mailing, listing on Etsy (photo and computer time), experience, etc. must all be included in the price of the item. Note: retail price is double the wholesale price and keep Etsy retail prices consistent with your prices at craft shows and store fronts. We must educate the public to appreciate handcrafted items and not promote the idea that because someone made it the item should be cheap. Just some thoughts from a retired visual arts teacher having fun on Etsy who has had 30 years experience with arts and crafts organizations and venues.

• juliewootton

Julie Wootton from JulesObsession said 4 years ago

My sales did double - to 4. I am not complaining. I love to create and I love being able to showcase on Etsy. Maybe next year I can contribute more to that total!

• kimberleeannkreation

Kim Brooks from kimberleeannJewelry said 4 years ago

my two shops are not in the same category as most of the other shop owners commenting here - my shops are small, but over the summer I have had a few sales (mostly in my Prim shop) and am hoping the holidays will be good! Someday I would love to be self-employed doing what I love - creating! :)

• HeidiSchreck

Heidi Schreck from CatalystJewelry said 4 years ago

Thank you for the info, I always appreciate the Etsy tips and updates. I hope the jewelry market get lots of business this holiday season as people start purchasing gifts for their loved ones. Cheers to everyone!

• Rudolfkurz

Rudolf Kurz from Rudolfkurz said 4 years ago

Sales have been dismal compared to last year, and the year before. There are too many sellers and too much cheap stuff now. That's nice for etsy, but detrimental to high quality artisans.

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 4 years ago

I also would love to see a breakdown of stats comparing vintage, handmade and supplies. And since you are comparing stats from last year which include cancellations to stats that don't, the result is not accurate. June and July this year were the slowest I have had since January of 2010, just a few months after I opened. Luckily the winter was very busy and that means my shop is still growing. I love it here, but so often see items that don't seem to follow the rules regarding reselling.

• WEBBEREDUPRODUCTS

FLOYD WEBBER from WEBBEREDUPRODUCTS said 4 years ago

HI Yes ETSY i also have seen great growth july 40% better aug 25% better than july. sept also looks good. i'amm already gearing up for the holiday season up over 30% for the year over last year. Best to everone

• artfuliving

Kelly Campbell Berry from artfuliving said 4 years ago

I love the numbers. I know that personally the increase is very noticeable for my shop.

• linskelovelythings

Linske from Linskeslovelythings said 4 years ago

lovely to know!

• turquoiseangels

turquoiseangels from TurquoiseWoodWorks said 4 years ago

Thank you for keep ingus informed We do enjoy being part of the Etsy community

• griffincat

Peggy Maria from griffincat said 4 years ago

Our sales have been steadily increasing all along,but we are working hard to keep adding new items. Our item count is double last year, and the sales are up about 20% for the year average. I think there is more competition every day and sales will level out at some point. I can't afford to be the cheapest seller, so hopefully the fast shipping and good customer service will help keep us on top.

• RanaHats

RanaHats from RanaHats said 4 years ago

I would love some stats about the millinery business, what types of hats sell, to what countries, at what prices. Overall, Etsy is managed well and very pleasant to use. A pleasant experience. Just wish knitted hats and children's hats wouldn't pop up when customers do search for women's hats. Many complain about that.

• GemdropsoftheFalls