Etsy Statistics: January 2013 Weather Report

Mar 15, 2013

by Michelle Traub

To most, January is a quiet time. The bustle of holiday activity behind us, we hunker down into cozy routines — sleepily caressing fireside toddies and patiently simmering day-long stews. But there’s no rest for the weary when it comes to buying and selling on Etsy!

The stats:

• $95.9 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in January, 18.6% lower than December’s $117.8 million
  • That represents 4,999,178* items sold for the month, 16.7% lower than December’s 6,001,420
  • 2,699,648 new items were listed in January, 14.2% higher than December’s 2,363,780
  • 1,128,036 new members joined the Etsy community, 21.8% lower than December’s 1,441,833
  • 1.67 billion page views were recorded on the site

The $97.6 million of goods sold (after refunds and cancellations) represents a 74.7% increase from January 2012?s total. At the same time, items sold were up 78.7%. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in January!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

*Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how this statistic had been calculated, and have since corrected the figures to be more accurate.

• MomsantiquesNthings

Janine from MomsantiquesNthings said 4 years ago

It always seems slow after Christmas rush, hoping it picks up for Spring! Wishing us all good luck & prosperity for everyone in 2013!

• HelenesDreams

Helene from HelenesDreams said 4 years ago

Wow! Congratulations Etsy! You did it again! It has been amazing watching a small business like yours grow world wide. I know you have changed my life!

• GwenDelicious

Gwen Delicious Jewelry Designs from GwenDelicious said 4 years ago

Thanks so very much for the update! Cheers

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

I'm not surprised that stats were down from December, but still an amazing increase from Jan. 2012! Thanks so much.

• Stephaniemakesall

Steph from OneStitchDesigns said 4 years ago

wow, that's still a lot of items moved! I'll be interested to see how things changed after the major shipping price increase

• Stephaniemakesall

Steph from OneStitchDesigns said 4 years ago

Lots of goods sold! I'd be interested to see how things did after the USPS shipping increase in late January.

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 4 years ago

I am not surprised! Every year seems to get busier here.

• gertieloo88

Mary from WoodenHeartButtons said 4 years ago

The year over year growth is outrageous! I'm so happy here...Thanks Etsy.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

Wow! Awesome. I love these stats!

• tinytokensdesigns

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns said 4 years ago

• MyHomemadeHome

Susannah from HandmadeBySusannah said 4 years ago

May we grower stronger and stronger, well done to us!

• MyHomemadeHome

Susannah from HandmadeBySusannah said 4 years ago

May we grow stronger and stronger, well done to us!

• JLynnSupplies

Brad from CasualInvertebrates said 4 years ago

I love that the average price of each items sold keeps going up. Sellers are looking at us as a place to buy nice things.

• graphixoutpost

Jen from graphixoutpost said 4 years ago

Impressive numbers!

• BrooklynLoveDesigns

Megan C from AlaskaBagCompany said 4 years ago

yay! January was my best sales on etsy since i opened. Glad to see such growth overall on etsy

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns says: "1,128,036 new members joined the Etsy community" How many of these new members were sellers and how many were just buyers? and how many were existing sellers opening up additional shops? and how many ACTIVE (activity within the last quarter - either buyer or seller?) Thanks for this, but would love some additional meat on the bone!

• krazykatedesigns

Kate from krazykatedesigns said 4 years ago

Fantastic report.

• ChuckEBrydWallArt

Chuck from ChuckEByrdWallDecals said 4 years ago

This January was much better than I thought it would be. The growth on Etsy just never seems to stop with everything in a constant state of change. Embracing the change is what will make each of our shops grow along with Etsy. I too am pleased to read that the average price per item has gone up, it show people do want handmade, quality items and are willing to pay more for them.

• lifemeetsart

Jolynn from lifemeetsart said 4 years ago

Great news. How many new shops have been opened? I would love to see that info shared.

• amylburns

Amy L Burns from AmyLBurns said 4 years ago

January was fantastic for my shop! Thanks for the stats update.

• pearlyjanebridal

jane from PearlyJaneBridal said 4 years ago

I am constantly amazed at the page views and amounts of goods sold. Etsy is far reaching!

• MorningStarGoods

Brandi Hutcheson from MorningStarGoods said 4 years ago

A 77.8% increase over last year?! Wow! Very exciting!

• MorningStarGoods

Brandi Hutcheson from MorningStarGoods said 4 years ago

A 77.8% increase over last year?! Wow, that's amazing!

• TheCrimsonMoon

TheCrimsonMoon from TheCrimsonMoon said 4 years ago

Brilliant news! I had to laugh at the cozy routines though, does anyone really do that? ;)

• nicilaskin

Nici Laskin from NiciLaskin said 4 years ago

I am with Jolyn would love to know how many new shops

• VillaCollezione

Villa Collezione from VillaCollezione said 4 years ago

january 2013 figures exceeded my expectations and definitely surpassed my january 2012 numbers by far! woohoo! thanks etsy!

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 4 years ago

Thanks for the information! But what would be much more useful would be a comparison between this January vs January 2012 as well. Can that not be provided?

• jessgreenleaf

Jess Greenleaf from GREENLEAFblueberry said 4 years ago

I am one of the million plus new members in January. Having so much fun and excited to be part of the Etsy community!

• chilisugar

Aja from chilisugarcookie said 4 years ago

I would also like to see averages of people purchasing supplies to make things vs handmade vs vintage. I am curious also about the average cost of the items sold. Thanks for another weather report.

• crottedebique

AnneSo Godby from crottedebique said 4 years ago

Wow Etsy is so big now! :) Congratulations!

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

Kind of felt like that :)

• krjewelrydisplays

Kathy from krjewelrydisplays said 4 years ago

Thanks for the report!

• JealousCat

JealousCat from JealousCat said 4 years ago

WOW! Super CHA-CHING! Not bad for January!

• AntwarePottery

AntwarePottery from AntwarePottery said 4 years ago

nice to know we are still growing and inventory is moving. Hope we are all prosperous..

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 4 years ago

I had a great January, February wasn't too bad, but March is starting out pretty slow. Mother's Day should fix that :)

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 4 years ago

That's wonderful!!!

• lisakides

Lisa Kides from NJVintage4U said 4 years ago

Great news, and I too am interested in the ratio of new sellers to new buyers, how many are existing folks opening new shops, or new accounts, etc. Amazing how Etsy continues to grow, wowza! I love it here.

• lisakides

Lisa Kides from NJVintage4U said 4 years ago

I too am interested to know the number of new shops vs new buyer accounts. Can we get that? And wowza, Etsy, continuing to grow big time! Way to go. I love it here.

• laantigua

Angela Marcos from LaAntigua said 4 years ago

Great news. Other ideas for the weather report: - geographic distribution of new members, separate by sellers and buyers - category distribution of new listings - percentage of active shops that contributed to the sales

• laantigua

Angela Marcos from LaAntigua said 4 years ago

Great news. Other ideas for stats: - geographic distribution of new members, separating buyers and sellers - percentage of active shops that contributed to sales - distribution of new listings by categories

• laantigua

Angela Marcos from LaAntigua said 4 years ago

The comments are not working properly

• HandPaintedPetals

Sheryl from HandPaintedPetals said 4 years ago

Good to know, and thanks, Etsy. crochetgal from crochetgal says: .. But what would be much more useful would be a comparison between this January vs January 2012 as well. Can that not be provided? ------------------------- I agree. We can find out shop's year-to-year stats but it would be helpful to know how Etsy compares, and also a year-to-date comparison to the past year.

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry said 4 years ago

Always enjoy reading the weather reports but agree with others that more information would be even better.

• Oneofafeltkind

Carol from FeltPIZZAZZers said 4 years ago

Nice weather report! And, I agree completely with those above that have made suggestions for more in-depth information and breakdown. Happy day to all!

• Oneofafeltkind

Carol from FeltPIZZAZZers said 4 years ago

Nice weather report! I absolutely agree with those above who made suggestions for more in-depth information/breakdown. Happy day to all!

• HouseHoldWords

HouseHoldWords from HouseHoldWords said 4 years ago

• librarianmari

Marie R. from Storyfied said 4 years ago

I love statistics - it was cool seeing these numbers! Thanks for sharing them with us.

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Thanks for the stats! It's always fun to see how the community did.

• bluelagoondesigns

BlueLagoonDesigns Dundee from bluelagoondesigns said 4 years ago

wow that's still an awesome set of stats. etsy is such a great place to connect with people and see them doing what they love to do. i am fairly new to it myself, but i am loving it and i am loving meeting new people and seeing such a diverse range of skills.

• Armillatadesigns

Sarah from Armillatadesigns said 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty impressed by the difference between January 2012 and 2013!

• MulberryCreek

Melissa from MulberryCreek said 4 years ago

Thanks for all the great and very useful information! This year so far is up over last year with January being the best month so far. Looks like that goes along with the community as a whole. Thanks for all your hard work Etsy!! Being on Etsy is one of the more positive things for me in the last few years for my business. Love it!!

• cfreimuth

camrin freimuth from RoseRaeMaries said 4 years ago

Love it!

• kmwithers

Km Withers from ClearLightStudios said 4 years ago

Category stats would be interesting.

• H88255

H88255 from HillarysSuperfoods said 4 years ago

I love Etsy! It is the best website in the world. It brings together so many creative artists and gives me such inspiration!

• gunjansyal

Gunjan Syal said 4 years ago

I am new to Etsy but am already more intrigued by it than I was with facebook/twitter. Finally something that tickles one's creative bone! To add to @Km's point, stats by region/geographies would be very informative also?

• ButterflyFeetShop

Sherri from ButterflyFeetDigital said 4 years ago

I love Etsy too. Those are some pretty big numbers!

• JoBerryFabrics

Joan Pierce from JoBerryFabrics said 4 years ago

Very impressive numbers. I am blessed to have a very small part. Thank you Etsy for giving us a market place.

• aressa

aressa from OriginalBridalHanger said 4 years ago

It is amazing the amount of sales on Etsy! Wonderful....

• mcbbelk

Marie Christine from jewelryaccessible said 4 years ago

Did pretty good in January for being a new shop!

• mcbbelk

Marie Christine from jewelryaccessible said 4 years ago

Did great in January!

• pamtiestrapit

Pam from TIESTRAPIT said 4 years ago

Brilliant results considering the financial climate well done us. Pats on the back but don't sit on your laurels folks (whatever that means my Nana used to say it) I just thought it sounded good. :+)

• encantodesign

Nayda Jacobo from EncantoDesign said 4 years ago

super !!

• eshannon12

Eric Shannon from BigBarkerDogBeds said 4 years ago

How did January 2013 compare to January 2012?