Etsy Statistics: February 2013 Weather Report

Mar 18, 2013

by Michelle Traub

February 2013 may be three days shorter than January, and one day shorter than February 2012, but that didn’t diminish the blooming intensity of community connections!

The stats:

• $92.7 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in February, 5% lower than January’s $97.6 million
  • That represents 4,713,944* items sold for the month, 5.7% lower than January
  •  2,671,146 new items were listed in February, 1.1% lower than January’s 2,699,648
  • 1,025,124 new members joined the Etsy community, 9.1% lower than January’s 1,128,036
  • 1.49 billion page views were recorded on the site

The $94.7 million of goods sold (after refunds and cancellations) represents a 59% increase from February 2012?s total (despite February 2012 having one more day than February 2013). At the same time, items sold were up 64.27%. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in February!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

*Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how this statistic had been calculated, and have since corrected the figures to be more accurate.

• lifemeetsart

Jolynn from lifemeetsart said 4 years ago

Wow! That is great.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

Thanks for these stats. I always look forward to them.

• simplysuzula

Suz from SimplySuzula said 4 years ago

Love these numbers!! Thanx!

• DantesSpirit

Wolf from DantesSpirit said 4 years ago

• loosepetals

Karen Young from loosepetals said 4 years ago

I thought having less days would diminish sales, but Feb. really was a great month just as good as January.

• BemusingBaubles

Sarah Laguna from BemusingBaubles said 4 years ago

This is an interesting feature--good to know.

• sac27553

Will Pollock from EndGrainWoodShoppe said 4 years ago

I wonder when it will stop. Can Etsy keep showing improved sales from one year to the next? Way to go!

• sac27553

Will Pollock from EndGrainWoodShoppe said 4 years ago

When will it stop? Can Etsy keep showing sales increases from one year to the next? I am impressed!

• BuzzPlanet

Brandi from PuurBody said 4 years ago

Ah, great! This February was up the same percentage over last February as February 2012 was over the previous year, and that's despite one less day. Good to see the rate of growth remains strong!

• ananemone

Sara Boatright from ananemone said 4 years ago

Wolf from DantesSpirit says: Well, it certainly proves the sellers in forums right when they say that sales have slowed down, that's for sure. A less than 50% increase in items sold over last Feb? That's not a very big increase, overall. It also shows that the economy is obviously still recovering, albeit at a slower rate. ----------------------------------------- I dunno, it's 3% less than January but the month is also almost 10% shorter, so per day, sales were up

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 4 years ago

That's great! Thanks!!!

• JaimeNicole

Heidi S from FashionBone said 4 years ago

Awesome! I always love seeing how big these numbers are. Mine not be anything much but it gives me hope!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

Feb was MUCH better for my shop than January! Thank goodness! But, still down from last year's stats! Looking foward to see what March brings! Last year's numbers will be hard to beat! Here's hoping!

• TheCrimsonMoon

TheCrimsonMoon from TheCrimsonMoon said 4 years ago

Great numbers! My February was up from last year too and March is going the same way :)

• TheCrimsonMoon

TheCrimsonMoon from TheCrimsonMoon said 4 years ago

Great numbers! My february was up from last year too and March looks to be heading the same way :)

• BrooklynLoveDesigns

Megan C from AlaskaBagCompany said 4 years ago

great to hear, thanks!!

• tinytokensdesigns

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns said 4 years ago

"1,025,124 new members joined the Etsy community, 9.1% lower than January’s 1,128,036" How may of these new members are buyers only (by buyer only I mean members that joined without opening a shop)?

• chilisugar

Aja from chilisugarcookie said 4 years ago

It feels good to be apart of that February! February was a great month for this shop. Not so much for my other shop. I also would love to compare last year;s total to this year's total as well.

• jessgreenleaf

Jess Greenleaf from GREENLEAFblueberry said 4 years ago

Hoping for good things in Spring! Thanks, Etsy!

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 4 years ago

Brilliant :)

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 4 years ago

Interesting!

• ShutYourCase

Karen and Jake from LuvYourCase said 4 years ago

Nice :0)

• amylburns

Amy L Burns from AmyLBurns said 4 years ago

Consistent with my experience. Thanks!

• recycledwares

Nerrissa W from RecycledWares said 4 years ago

Thanks for always sharing this information with us! I love to see what is going on over the whole site.

• dahliasoleil

Paulette from dahliasoleil said 4 years ago

Beautiful photograph.

• kmwithers

Km Withers from ClearLightStudios said 4 years ago

Interesting that February sales were less than January...you would think it would be the other way around with the holidays over and everyone back in the groove. Let's see what the Spring brings!

• VillaCollezione

Villa Collezione from VillaCollezione said 4 years ago

amazing how many new members sign up each month!

• sherisewsweet

Sheri Foster from sherisewsweet said 4 years ago

Very interesting info! I look forward to viewing these numbers and doing comparisons to see if they match what my shop is doing. I was ahead of the curve of last year's sales in January and February until the new formatting took place. Sales took a nose dive, and are still slower than normal for me. I am hopeful that things will return to normal quickly and some of those nice sales numbers will return!

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

My February was awesome - even better than January! So happy to see such growth over last February, both in my shop and site-wide. Happy sales, everyone.

• That70sShoppe

Natalie from That70sShoppe said 4 years ago

The numbers seem to reflect our vintage business this year and last. Feb. was down for us from January and March was our worst month last year and is shaping up to be again this year. It will be interesting to see if Etsy as a whole is down in March. Maybe it is tax season and everyone is waiting for refunds or if they will owe or get money back if they haven't filed yet.

• That70sShoppe

Natalie from That70sShoppe said 4 years ago

Thought I hit "Add Your Comment" but it's not here so will type again. Apologies if it comes through twice. These seem to follow our numbers this year and last. Feb. was worse than Jan. both years and March was our worst month of the whole year last year and I believe the year before. It is shaping up to looking that way again, so it will be interesting to see what Etsy does as a whole next month. Oh, and I would love to see these sales and items sold numbers broke down and compared by Handmade, Vintage and Supplies.

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry said 4 years ago

The best news here for sellers is that while there is a 62.4% increase in the dollar amount of goods sold, items sold increased only 46.9%, showing overall an increase in price of goods sold! Yea!

• bearrunroad

bearrunroad from BearRunOriginals said 4 years ago

This year is off to a great start! Thanks for the info!

• underneaththeoaktree

Natalie Atkins from underneaththeoaktree said 4 years ago

That's some big numbers, and if spring stands for anything then its is potential and promise :-)

• ButterflyFeetShop

Sherri from ButterflyFeetDigital said 4 years ago

Wow, that's a lot!

• AntwarePottery

AntwarePottery from AntwarePottery said 4 years ago

Thanks. Sounds Good.

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 4 years ago

WOW! The statistics of Etsy are staggering:)))I havent seen website in the area of arts ant vintage with so many sales and money earned for just a month! This website is entire industry and it is fabulous!

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 4 years ago

WOW The statistics of Etsy are staggering!:))) I havent seen such a website with so many sales and earning for its members in the area of arts and vintage!This is absolutely amazing! Etsy.com is entire industry!:)

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 4 years ago

This site is entire industry! Amazing!Thank you Etsy!

• MorningStarGoods

Brandi Hutcheson from MorningStarGoods said 4 years ago

The $94.7 million of goods sold (after refunds and cancellations) represents a 62.4% increase from February 2012′s total (despite February 2012 having one more day than February 2013). At the same time, items sold were up 46.9%. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in February! *** Wow! This is absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for the update, this really helps to motivate me to work even harder to bring people to my store. Obviously the buyers are out there in force!

• LauraAndErin

Erin AndLaura from EguaLondon said 4 years ago

94.7 million sales and I have only sold 2!!!!!that´s great!! :-(

• LauraAndErin

Erin AndLaura from EguaLondon said 4 years ago

I am very proud of myself, TWO of the 94.7 million sales are mine!!!!! (-_-)zzzzz

• stormskies

Kendra Ginter from Sunlightway said 4 years ago

Fantastic!

• mcbbelk

Marie Christine from jewelryaccessible said 4 years ago

I did pretty good in Feb hopefully do great in March!

• ModusHats

Modus Hats from ModusHats said 4 years ago

I did better this year in Feb!

• Oneofafeltkind

Carol from FeltPIZZAZZers said 4 years ago

Very interesting information!

• yourstrulyjessica

Jessica from yourstrulyjessica said 4 years ago

I love these statistics! Thank you!

• beloveddoll15

Beloved Doll from BelovedDollDesigns said 4 years ago

Nice! Despite all the forum posts of people saying their sales were down, doesn't look like it was as bad as what the forums made it seem. Glad to see numbers showing what's really going on. ^_^

• ToDieForVintage

Leann from LeannsVintage said 4 years ago

Seriously amazing!!!!

• dayslonggone

Gwynne Collins from DaysLongGone said 4 years ago

Thanks for the info!

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

Jan. 2013 and Feb. 2013 are each about the same as my Nov. 2012. Which is great!

• richardlithgow

Richard Lithgow from RichardLithgow said 4 years ago

Congrats to everyone who's doing well! Etsy's fun!

• cocolitaboutique

Marie-Claude from CocolitaBoutique said 4 years ago

That is good news compared to 2012! Wow :) Way to go Etsy sellers!

• HSawiki

Hope Sawiki from HSJewel said 4 years ago

Very interesting :) and Great stats! Congratulations to everyone and they're part in making Etsy a wonderful, easy, and fun community to be apart of. I'm inspired everyday and I hope to one day be inspirational to others. Keep Rockin Etsy!!

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 4 years ago

Keep up the Great Work Etsy

• Pixie2428

Doris C. from SewBeautifulbyDC said 4 years ago

Love the numbers. Great stats.

• JewelryIdeaSupplies

JewelryIdeaSupplies from NELEEK said 4 years ago

Wonderful!! Congratulations to everyone who takes part!! Got to love Etsy!! :)

• wendycn1

Wendy CN from CardNotions said 4 years ago

Thanks for the info!...and thank you ETSY (staff and all shop owners and buyers) for the support!

• kidichimama

kidichimama from kidichimama said 4 years ago

Thank you for information.

• kidichimama

kidichimama from kidichimama said 4 years ago

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Nice to know. Thank you!

• StarTribe

Penelope Neil from StarTribe said 4 years ago

It would be great to see some of these figures broken down- how many of the sale were vintage, supply, handmade, how many of the handmade were jewelry, soap, clothes etc, what price point sold the most etc. That way we'd be able to see if (for example) most of the buying is being done by crafters buying their supplies, or if jewelry isn't popular once it hits $30, or if vintage silverware is skyrocketing... etc. Numbers sound impressive but what does it mean? Inquiring minds...

• aressa

aressa from OriginalBridalHanger said 4 years ago

Great information....

• somethinspecial

Sue Faunt from somethinspecial said 4 years ago

Love the weather reports, thanks for posting them Etsy.

• lacegrl130

Dorothy Jane from lacegrl130 said 4 years ago

Thank you, Etsy.

• opendoorstudio

Martha Layton Smith from opendoorstudio said 4 years ago

the numbers are staggering! .. any way we can get the upcoming " etsy forecast" like etsy used to put out monthly.. in addition to the "weather report"? i miss that and know it was so helpful to my team as well.

• rakubuttons

rakubuttons from rakubuttons said 4 years ago

WTG. Encouraging resellers will certainly result in the numbers going up and up.

• sarahtrinca

Sarah Trinca from TheSewingMenagerie said 4 years ago

Hopefully March is the same, and I get a little piece of the pie too.

• BarbaraCy

Barbara C from BarbaraCsCreations said 4 years ago

Would it be possible to add statistics on how each section is doing? (handmade, vintagage and supplies) Or even better, break it down further. (art, clothing, home decor, etc.)

• karenplatt4

Karen Platt from yarnsandfabrics said 4 years ago

Awesome, interested to know how many Etsy shops were closed, how many Etsy shops made nothing.

• thisislullaby

Vicky Brown from ThisisLullaby said 4 years ago

Amazing stats in comparison to last year. Glad to have been a part of that.

• SimpleJoysPaperie

Lana Manis from SimpleJoysPaperie said 4 years ago

Thanks for providing the stats!

• elodiesmelodies

Elodie Hafen from elodiesmelodies said 4 years ago

That is nice to hear

• CopperGuppy

Leann Schroder from CopperGuppy said 4 years ago

Good to know, thank you.

• trash4flash

Katerina Stamatopoulou from TRASH4FLASH said 4 years ago

Impressive numbers...! Impressive Etsy power..! Cheers

• waterlily1000

Shjannon from WaterandWind said 4 years ago

What an impressive increase over last year,and what a great community... I'm so glad to be a part of it

• CeresFaction

Ceres from CeresFaction said 4 years ago

Can't wait to see more languages open up

• MomsantiquesNthings

Janine from MomsantiquesNthings said 4 years ago

Always ask but never see the break down of these statistics, how many new members are shop owners vs buyers, how many sales were vintage vs handmade, it really would be more helpful. I do like to see the comparison to prior year as well as prior month, they seem to be in line with my sales.

• divinecartomancy

Bren from PsychicBren said 4 years ago

May we all be Blessed with the Best Year in Sales!

• suryaprojaya

Eny Ratnawati from TaoKaeNoi said 4 years ago

please, welcome to TaoKaeNoi

• SerenityInChains

Michelle from SerenityInChains said 4 years ago

Thank you for that report. I know I find this very helpful as an affirmation that the trends I am seeing in sales frequency aren't just in my shop, but are 'global' as far as slow downs. It is also nice to see the site wide year over year so that I can make some comparisons to my own data. Thanks!

• Beadedgecko

Jean Marie Kinney from BeadedGecko said 4 years ago

I'm curious to know how much of that in sales is actually from Handmade items by the sellers themselves. Supposedly this is/was what Etsy was all about. The top US sellers as in the top 200 sellers are almost exclusively selling supplies. Every month that remains true. Yes, I know we need supplies to make items - but just how much is Etsy still about Handmade by sellers themselves? It's face, what it claims to be about and what actually makes the numbers doesn't seem to be one in the same in my opinion. If Etsy is not the Handmade marketplace it started out to be, then isn't its face becoming very similar to EBay buy it now?

• MelanieHollandArt

Melanie Holland from NanabojoDesigns said 4 years ago

etsy is huge!

• Beadedgecko

Jean Marie Kinney from BeadedGecko said 4 years ago

Check out this link for the breakdown many of you are looking for. http://craftcount.com/

• jstarshinyjewelry

Jennifer from YouNiquelyUBoutique said 4 years ago

I can see the light. I just got started really in mid March and is very excited. I listed one item in Feb and snatched it back because I wasn't ready. I can't wait to start moving my products.

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 4 years ago

Congrats to all!!!

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

great news and I had a good month so great for myself and everyone it seems. That's what happens when a site adds one million new people a month! HUGE.

• tpogorelc

Timothy Pogorelc from tiposcreations said 4 years ago

I agree, Congrats to all!! and Special Thanks to those in the home office making it possible for this marketplace to flourish.

• glynniskillen

Diane and Glynnis from DiGiJewels said 4 years ago

It is refreshing to hear how many people have found Etsy and how they are spending their money here rather than at the BBS! May the word just keep spreading!

• varieti

varieti from varieti said 4 years ago

Bad month for me but apparently not so bad for most people! Ha!

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

Both of the last two months were quiet for us…