Etsy Statistics: August 2013 Weather Report

Sep 17, 2013

by Michelle Traub

The summer light might be fading, but can you smell the faint whiff of holiday traffic in the air? With a 43.2% increase in dollars of goods sold compared to last year (August 2012), and a 44.2% increase in items sold, the Etsy community is rearing up for a record-breaking season.

The stats:

• $109.1 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in August, 8.13% higher than July
  • That represents 5,483,399 items sold for the month, 9.44% higher than July
  • 2,804,300 new items were listed in the month, 3.46% higher than July
  • 1,065,767 new members joined the Etsy community, 6.13% higher than July
  • 1.8 billion page views were recorded on the site in August (including web and apps)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in August 2013!

Ed. Note: We discovered an error in how the statistic for number of items sold had been calculated for the months of January – July, 2013. The statistic and percentage comparisons on each of the reports have since been corrected, and we apologize sincerely for the error. We’re proud that as a company we share these reports with our community, and we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to accuracy and transparency.

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

• PorterFig

PorterFig from PorterFig said 4 years ago

Good to see things are looking up. :)

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Please explain something to me. I do not understand the items sold vs. items listed stats. I just went through the WR for this year (8 months) and you are reporting a total of 40,176,587 items sold with only 22,118,548 item listed. (a deficit of 18,058,039). That made me curious, so I looked at 2012; The yearly total was 44,601,755 sold and 29,004,346 listed ( A deficit of 15, 597,409) That means that in a course of 20 months listings are running at a deficit of 33,655,448 to items sold! Can that be accurate?

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Could it be possible to get added to the report; - number of shops that were active during the month - or even on the last day of the month? - what the NET total membership is at the end of each month?

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

Not looking up for my shop! Thanks! Great questions, Jill!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Are renewals counted in the "new listings", because if that is true, then the actual items listed would be even smaller (because of people relisting items over) and so the actual deficit between sold and items listed owuld be even greater?? Math was never my strong point! Please clarify!!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Would relisted items be also counted within the new listings stats? If so doesn't that mean that there were even fewer actual new items listed because the same item might be counted a couple of time - thus meaning the deficit is even greater than I thought? Math has never been my strong point, so I hope you can clarify this!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

(Sorry for the double post the first one didn't show up right away)

• SavoyFaire

Gail from SavoyFaire said 4 years ago

Good news! 1,680,919 more items sold this August than last August! I'd like to see same month year to year comparisons as well as August compared to July. Average pricepoint still around $20 that had come up but not now. More sales for more people is great news! Jill that would be super helpful.

• LanaManisDesigns

Lana Manis from LanaManisDesigns said 4 years ago

Thanks for providing the report and for making the corrections. Great questions, Jill!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

The updated statistics, as previously posted, are the higher or lower?

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 4 years ago

*they* instead of *the* - dumb Ipad! =0)

• mossycreekstudio

Amy from MossyCreekStudio said 4 years ago

August was amazing for me! Thanks for all of your work behind the scenes Etsy! So putting my CPA skills to work here: folks raise the same questions over and over again.... Would be nice to see this data in a table/chart. Current Month / Prior Month / Prior Year (same period) maybe add a 4th column - Rolling 12 month cumulative Row data: Total Sales (adjusted) Total Qty sold %'s Total new listings (who cares about relists) For fun, it be nice to see some pie charts.... how do the categories on Etsy break out? Finally, addressing Jills question: Say we had 10,000,000 items listed at the end of July: 10,000,000 listings 2,804,300 new listings 5,483,399 items sold -------------- 7,320,901 listings at end of August. If the numbers are correct, we sold more than we added, and overall reduced our inventories. Always a good thing in business! And finally, the same request over and over - why the secrecy Etsy? How about a breakdown of Members by Type? Total Members / # Shops? Then tell us how many addtions each month with comparisons to prior. Anyway, love that we still continue to see growth, Thanks Etsy!

• mossycreekstudio

Amy from MossyCreekStudio said 4 years ago

Hey, do y'all need an accountant? :) Sounds like a fun place to work!!!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Amy If there are new shops coming on board all the time, and members are adding new items all the time, it seems to reason that over the last 20 months inventory would have been replenished, at at least an even pace with sales - not lagging EVERY month, for month over month reductions ... that doesn't make sense to me! And I agree about the secrecy, makes for hard planning and business decisions! Would like to know how the seasons affect each category, and if the sales are shifting from one category to another, etc etc... If nothing more than breaking it down by Handmade/vintage/and supplies. That should be able to be done by the top category chosen when we list (even though perhaps not always accurately!)

• mtraub

Michelle Traub from mtraub said 4 years ago

@jill2day — First, just to clarify, new listings are new listings created on Etsy for the first time (not renewals). Secondly, this is different from the total number of listings on Etsy. As you can see from a search, we currently have over 21 million listings active on the site! We're excited to be at a point where it's normal and expected to have more items sold than listings created in a given month. I should also point out that items sold is the actual number of items sold on Etsy. A listing with a quantity of more than 1 can mean more items sold for just 1 listing. Hope that helps!

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

thank Michelle. That does help. So if there are 21 million active listings on the site, and 5 million were sold this past month, that means 1/4 of all active listings were sold this past month? Wow~

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

Wait... maybe I got that wrong... because if a listing was posted with a quantity of 50 and sold out... the sales would show 50, but the listing would show 1... am I getting it now?

• jill2day

jill from jill2day said 4 years ago

We're excited to be at a point where it's normal and expected to have more items sold than listings created in a given month. ------------------------------ So it seems then, multiple item listings (like 50 sales per 1 listing) work better for your numbers than OOAK that are a one for one proposition?

• SavoyFaire

Gail from SavoyFaire said 4 years ago

Amy glad to hear it was good for you! As a Profitability Analyst myself here not to mention umpteen years (ok lifetime) in your field it's the only way to compare apples to apples so we keep asking. The thing is having by category would show listing more in some categories selling more in others as well. Remember most of the excess in goods could be from new shops that have sold nothing yet! That means the rest of the community listed more than was sold! This is why a bit more specific could be so helpful as it stands now does not really mean what it appears to in those ways at first glance. So yes how many new shops AND items they listed would be helpful too! Even what categories they're in. Michelle thank you! Very helpful knowing renewed not included. I'd love to see how many renewed even how many times. So then remember if as I said above NEW listings that month also means that much more competition to sell our existing ones. Then wrap your head around items now selling and auto renewing so we are selling more units if they could that as only one no matter how many times it sells if I'm reading that right. Then too how long did it take all those newbies to make all those new items. Again not an accurate picture in time of that month alone but this just shows how big the report would get!

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

While August was unusually quiet for me, I'm glad to hear that sales are up overall. I'm still optimistic about this holiday season - just have to get through this pre-holiday slump!

• staats25

Drew from DrewsCollectibles said 4 years ago

August was okay for me. I think Pretty soon we won't be able to say pre-holiday slump, or slow time of year. Etsy now has 31 or so million members. By holiday season it will be pushing 35! That is compared to around 20 million last year. Almost double the number of buyers available. By next summer maybe 45 million. The whole dynamic is definitely egoing to change that is way more buyers, even for esoteric sellers. i just hope etsy doesn't get greedy and start raising fees a lot to capitalize on popularity. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing some auction style buying. Or at the least a type of offer button on products. Maybe my price is only 3 dollars too high for someonel. I would likely be glad to accommodation, however, as it stands there is no way to know how many sales I might miss for a few bucks.

• rachbing

Rachel Bingaman from BingArt said 4 years ago

It's great to see how Etsy has taken off in recent years and to be able to be a part of this growing community! My revenue for this year is already almost double what it was for all of last year.

• glendalee

glenda puhek from glendalee said 4 years ago

It's so helpful to see the analysis and questions about this report. It helps me think about my business. I've been wanting a breakdown by, at a minimum, the big 3 categories—handmade, supplies, vintage—since my initial involvement. Sometimes I think that there is a fear out there that if this information is provided that Etsyians who sell in a category that isn't at the top will be worried. I think knowledge is power. It seems like if a buyer can search via a category, it ought to be possible to provide sales totals by category. Alas, I'm no techno geek, so maybe I'll have to find one who can explain this hitch to me. I do appreciate the information that is provided though.

• Bananamoo

Bananamoo from Bananamoo said 4 years ago

Helpful, Thank you

• DRaeDesigns

DRaeDesigns from DRaeDesigns said 4 years ago

Thanks for posting this Etsy Admin. Nice to see these figures!

• keoops8

dereck maltez from keoops8 said 4 years ago

nice for that sellers,,,, ... because many shops, sales this month. came down,

• lunaessence

lunaessence from LunaEssence said 4 years ago

great to see and hear these statistics , but what happened after August ....... ? Geez

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to the holiday season and if current sales continue it's going to be a busy busy time.

• phoebesiter

Phoebe Siter from PhoebeMade said 4 years ago

I'd like to hear more about the page views- is that up or down from previous months and years? With all the griping about shops views lately, maybe you can explain some of the changes in spread of those views since there are always new shops and items being listed.

• ZorroPlateado

Carole from ZorroPlateado said 4 years ago

I'm curious about the 1,065,767 new members to Etsy....Is this new shops or sellers and buyers?

• ItsSewSusan

Susan Petersen from ItsSewSusan said 4 years ago

I track my shop statics very closely, Is there a similar chart for overall Etsy sales for the year? I'd like to see how I compare to other shops overall.

• PrairieArtsCeramics

Steve from PrairieDecArts said 4 years ago

These stats work great for Etsy but totally ignore the fact that individual shops are dying. Specifically vintage shops. If all Etsy is going to do is track overall numbers then it's basically become a self-serving corporation. Someone there needs to run numbers on performance of individual shops. Actual stats on individual shops will show a high number are in the tank. We care about Etsy but we care about OUR shops more. As a dealer I'm happy for you and frightened for your myopia and poor communications.

• APlusSmallStuff

pat pompano from APlusSmallStuff said 4 years ago

Is there anyway to know what items are selling in a particular week?

• michellecharter

Michelle Prinold from VanillaRetro said 4 years ago

I would like to know how each category is doing. I sell wedding stationery - so I would be interested to see how the sales are spread across the categories. For example, September really was quiet for me: was this consistent with wedding sellers in general? Is this possible please Etsy? can we sign up for a more specific weather report perhaps, so we can have relevant data to us? Thanks

• anordicrose

virginie lykins from anordicrose said 4 years ago

I just love happy numbers.....

• stick2basics

Fernando Trejo from BiaForceDesigns said 4 years ago

I agree with Michelle Prinold. That will give us a little more information on how much we need to promote our items or stock our shops.

• suzanneartist

Suzanne Urban from SmirkingGoddess said 4 years ago

I do like the idea of breaking down the selling info by category.

• hnneely

Heather from RedThreadGifts said 4 years ago

Hoping some of these sales come MY way soon! :)

• westcottkaren

Karen from UniquedesignsbyKaren said 3 years ago

Thanks for the report. I check my stats daily. Way to go etsy !