Company Culture: The Dogs of Etsy

Apr 9, 2013

by Aleksa Brown

Hoover, Starbuck, Sadie and Fish: these are just a few of the friendly faces you’ll see around Etsy headquarters. They’re not product managers or software engineers, nor are they merchandisers or support representatives – they’re members of the canine operations team, and yes! They’re dogs.

The dog-friendly office policy has been in place since Etsy began in 2005, and it’s one of the ways we strive to maintain a casual, creative, and inspiring work environment. In addition to sharing meals, riding bikes to our local farm to compost office waste, and volunteering, bringing our dogs to work helps keep spirits high and fosters a sense of community and connection that is paramount to what Etsy is all about, employee experience manager Sarah Starpoli explains.

“It’s funny because I notoriously dislike dogs, but I love having them here. They make people smile almost universally, and I think they allow anxiety to diffuse when they suddenly skitter by,” she says. “I have a tough time hating my email when Hoover comes over to say ‘hey.'”

Elana Dweck, who manages the Etsy Design Studio and brings her fluffy, friendly Golden Retriever to the office 2-3 times a week agrees. “Overall I think he lifts up people’s spirits, mine included,” she says. “He is also really goofy and cute which is a good reminder that nothing is such a big deal, even if a work thing is stressful at the moment. He offers levity to situations, and he gives good hugs.”

Whether they’re belly-up begging for a little afternoon scratch or following their owners to meetings with tails wagging, having dogs around during the workday also increases the brain’s ability to solve problems, says learning and development consultant Paloma Medina.

Medina, who has lectured on creative problem solving at Etsy, bases these insights on research and first-hand experience. “Stress levels decrease and laughter and levity increase when a dog is present in an office,” she says. “Further research shows that decreases in stress and increases in joy are critical for improved focus, productivity and creativity at work.”

And we’re not the only ones who find inspiration through working with pets. From Georgia-based paper goods maker Leela Robinson (photographed below) to Uruguay-based felt designer Claudia, the Etsy community is full of furry friends who offer creative support and lots of love to makers and curators during their creative process.

An added bonus is that many of the dogs in the Etsy community and the office are rescues. There’s the family of rescue pit bulls that belong to North Dakota-based jewelry designer Dana, or the adorable (and Internet-savvy) Fish Dogg Hunt, who was adopted by Etsy’s creative designer, Randy Hunt. Much like our wares, these pups come with stories.

Whether you work with animals, volunteer at your local shelter, or simply admire them from afar, there’s no doubt dogs enrich our lives and inspire creativity. So next time your four-legged companion collaborates on a project, be sure to give them the raise they deserve.

How are you inspired by your pets?

• greengrass4men

Liz M from TheFoxAndFig said 3 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful idea! Pets can be fantastic therapy

• CopperGuppy

Leann Schroder from CopperGuppy said 3 years ago

My buddy works in my studio everyday with me. His humor inspires me!

• GaryRam

Gary and Heather from littleRamstudio said 3 years ago

How cute! One way to make office work pleasurable!

• ibleedheART

Ashley Reagan from ibleedheART said 3 years ago

Thank you. I want a dog now. Don't think my cat, Picasso would approve, though! Etsy looks like a fun place to work! :)

• StudioYTE

StudioYTE from StudioYTE said 3 years ago

Any job openings for me and my cat Ema?

• AnatomicalQuilling

Sarah Yakawonis from YakawonisQuilling said 3 years ago

just popping up from a sea of quilling paper to say I really enjoyed this!

• thedreamygiraffe

Kathy Jeffords from thedreamygiraffe said 3 years ago

Ah, I love this article. I live in the country where irresponsible and heartless people tend to dump out their unwanted animals....and those unwanted animals inevitably wind up in my yard. I think every one that makes its way safely to me has more than earned a loving forever home so that is what they get. Right now I have four, having just lost one to cancer in March (less than a year after losing another the same way). It is heartbreaking when they pass away but the heartbreak does touch the joy they bring during their lives. It makes me love Etsy even more that it's a pet-friendly environment.

• pickleberries

Lonnie from pickleberries said 3 years ago

Shortbread the cairn, Daisy the rat terrier and Lucky the flame point ragdoll cat never fail to keep up the spirits in my work space!

• KilnGoddess

KilnGoddess from KilnGoddess said 3 years ago

I'm more of a cat friendly kinda gal tho...do you have bring your cat to work days?

• thedreamygiraffe

Kathy Jeffords from thedreamygiraffe said 3 years ago

Lonnie, I love the name Shortbread! So cute.

• mainlinedesigns

Jan Deuber Peters from mainlinedesigns said 3 years ago

That's great that you can bring your dog to work. My dog is sitting right next to me right this minute. I have been a longtime volunteer at an animal shelter. My etsy shop is all about pets too, but I make pet memorials. I know it sounds sad, but they bring great comfort to my customers. They really do love them.

• SAStudio

Kristy from SAStudio said 3 years ago

Nice post! Which continues to beg the question, if etsy is so dog/pet friendly, how come we can't see a Pets category on the FP? ;-)

• mainlinedesigns

Jan Deuber Peters from mainlinedesigns said 3 years ago

I think that is a great idea! I second that. Front page please.

• modflo

modflo from modflo said 3 years ago

sweet post! :)

• Ebruk

Ebruk from Ebruk said 3 years ago

Nice post. I love dogs.

• RenataandJonathan

Renata and Jonathan from RenataandJonathan said 3 years ago

I liked Milo the best. I think I need to to start a jumping routine. Renata likes Pierre. "French Bulldogs rock!" (direct quote) Very cool.

• filecutter

Joyce and Tony from filecutter said 3 years ago

I have three little ones and they are always at my desks corner waiting for me to drop something or wanting to play......wonderful pets and companions.

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 3 years ago

Such a great post!

• EarthsOpulence

Debbie from EarthsOpulence said 3 years ago

I love seeing well-behaved Pet Therapy dogs with their vests on, and think dogs are great to have at work - but it depends on the workplace and the pets. Our dog is a little too rowdy to take to work! Maybe one day...

• DantesSpirit

Wolf from DantesSpirit said 3 years ago

My Akita is a Rescue dog. She's always good for a quick laugh. Then there's my cats, both of home are also Rescues. They're good for completely stopping any work being done. Heh.

• HidowFiberFarm

Veronica from HidowFiberFarm said 3 years ago

What a great article. My dogs and other animals are a big part of my life. I have a customer at my job that quite often brings his dog in when he is picking up an order, nothing like that happy little creature wandering around the office for a few minutes to lighten the mood.

• SheppardHillDesigns

David and Celeste from SheppardHillDesigns said 3 years ago

Thanks, I needed that! Love the photo of the little Dachshund above; reminds me of my own little girl from years ago. ~ C

• oopsydoodle

Missy from zippitydoodle said 3 years ago

Yay Etsy! Thanks for being so dog friendly...my guy Gilbert does the cha ching dance with me. The little fur kids make life so much more fun, huh? Love this post!!!!!

• botny

Dana Holscher from botny said 3 years ago

This was absolutely adorable!!! Loved all the different dog voices in the video (my husband and I have voices for our two pit bulls, so it was nice to see we're not the only ones who do that ;)). Dogs (and cats!) really brighten up the workplace and help ease any stresses by just being there to pet and be cute. Loved this blog post and thank you so much for referencing my two rescue pitties as dogs who hang out in the workplace! So honored! :)

• auntjanecan

Jane Priser from JanePriserArts said 3 years ago

What a wonderful article to read! I love my dogs and cats and birds. They help me every day!

• jhfabriccreations

Janet Howard from JHFabricCreations said 3 years ago

My 3 poodles come to work with me (downstairs) every day and they often have their niece and nephew doggies over for the day. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• JeanElis

Jean Y from huntandlove said 3 years ago

Dogs are wonderful. I have a little morkie almost 4 and a maine coone cat that keep me company at home and then I volunteer with a rescue =)

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 3 years ago

Yay for being dog friendly!!! I work from home in my Etsy shop, and my dogs, Sally and Jack (pics in my about page) are always at my feet! I love how comforting a furry friend can be!

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 3 years ago

BTW, my Jack is a rescue as well... His owners tossed him out in the street, but I feel in love with him the second I saw him at the shelter, he is one of the biggest loves in my life now!

• aBreathofFrenchair

Elizabeth from ABreathOfFrenchAir said 3 years ago

I took my dog to my former job. I loved it and my clients really enjoyed having Scout around!

• TwistedPetDesigns

Dyllana Matay from TwistedPetDesigns said 3 years ago

The timing of this Blog entry is amazing as my daughters and I just opened our Etsy shop 11 days ago! Animals have always been a part of my life and I can't imagine not sharing my life, home, and workplace with them. As much as the dogs are helping all of the humans at Etsy Headquarters. . . your pet policy is also enriching their lives ten fold. So here's of big "WOOF" out to you! Hey Sadie: I am sure that I can help you with your collar issue ;-)

• LennyMud

Lenny Mud from LennyMud said 3 years ago

where are the cats?

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 3 years ago

Dogs keep you happy and young. See our Ella and Charlie on my abut page. :D. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, I love that etsy headquarters have canines in the mix...Sometimes, a good belly-rub (for the dog and the one giving the rub) makes everything all right!

• essentialimages

Kate from essentialimages said 3 years ago

Love this! I have to share my dog as my hubby takes her to his office a couple of days a week. Dogs keep you in the moment and get you moving out of your head when you need a break — they are Wise! xo

• beeblecat

beeblecat from beeblecat said 3 years ago

I agree Lenny Mud. Is etsy cat friendly too?

• LuluandGandore

LuluandGandore from LuluandGandore said 3 years ago

Awesome

• daeschek

Kimberly Daeschel from AnUnfamiliarRing said 3 years ago

Love it! I wish my office would do this!

• vsc83

Victoria from VictoriaCampAllison said 3 years ago

Awesome! I've read a few articles about the benefits of having dogs/pets in the workplace, and I am definitely an advocate. I'm lucky that my dog is at work with me every day - since I work from home! I dubbed him the official 'Floor Manager,' and added him to my shop's About page. :)

• vsc83

Victoria from VictoriaCampAllison said 3 years ago

This is great! I've read a few articles about the benefits of dogs/pets in the workplace, and am definitely an advocate. I'm lucky that I get to be around my dog at work every day, as I work from home. I dubbed him my 'Floor Manager,' and added him to my About page!

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 3 years ago

Love this!!

• vsc83

Victoria from VictoriaCampAllison said 3 years ago

Whoops - sorry for the double post! I had to change my user settings here and suddenly my original comment appeared as well!

• lavenderrabbit

Donna from LavenderRabbit said 3 years ago

Great article! All my rabbits are rescues. They now rescue me everyday :)

• chilisugar

Aja from chilisugarcookie said 3 years ago

That is so cool! I remember not taking a gig in NY because they had a dog: I am allergic to animals. It sucks because I really want one cat, and one dog the weimaraner in gray with blue eyes. Maybe I can get shots so that I can own a pet one day ^_^

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry said 3 years ago

Enjoyed reading this article! I have a yorkie who is one of my children (I don't tell my kids this). Sometimes I like dogs and cats better than people.

• CarlaLovato

CarlaLovato from CarlaLovato said 3 years ago

Dogs Rule! Thank you for sharing. Love dogs!!!!!

• dorothygarvey

Dossie Garvey from petzoup said 3 years ago

As I like to say....Woof!!!

• MosaicGumbo

Ruth B from MosaicGumbo said 3 years ago

I used to work in my home office with my parakeet walking around my work :) Sounds like a great environment

• nadinartdesign

Nadin Sandler from NadinArtDesign said 3 years ago

love it

• ThimbleSparrow

Lindsay from ThimbleSparrow said 3 years ago

How fun! I'm always more productive when animals are around. I couldn't live without them.

• rukaanne

Ruth Seiler from CraftsOfRuka said 3 years ago

I love the cute pictures of the dogs.

• gringrimaceandsqueak

Karen and Rich from gringrimaceandsqueak said 3 years ago

Bit risky coming in here with this av but I'm assuming they are all as friendly as they look :)

• lorrietrev

BigNose from HiHorseRanch said 3 years ago

Yay for the Dogs of Etsy. Awesome!

• MorningStarGoods

Brandi Hutcheson from MorningStarGoods said 3 years ago

Aw, this article (and the photos!) really made me smile! Gotta love our canine companions. ♥ One day, when I move out of my apartment, I will have a dog. I'm a total dog person, and I miss having such lovable creatures around at times to make day to day life less stressful.

• TheHickoryTree

Linda from TheHickoryTree said 3 years ago

That is so cool. Dogs are awesome. I wish I could bring my dogs to work with me, that is definitely what my office is lacking. My dentist has 2 dogs in his office and they follow him around to each exam room and if you like dogs they will sit on your lap while you are getting the exam. If you don't like dogs... well you have probably found a new dentist by now.

• NailKandy

Kate from NailKandy said 3 years ago

I have office Geckos. That's the same thing, right? :D

• SecretLentil

Helen Carter SecretLentil from SecretLentil said 3 years ago

The warehouse I work in has many building dogs. It makes life better - it just does.

• AntoinettesWhims

Antoinette from AntoinettesWhims said 3 years ago

Canine operations team ~ That's cute. Are they on the payroll? :-D Etsy looks like such a fun place to work.

• Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s from Catbooks1940s said 3 years ago

Aw, that's great. I love this! Cudos to everyone who's adopted a rescue. Hooray for rescues! Totally agree with how invaluable our furred friends are to us human types' well being -- at work, or play, and even at rest.

• FlowerLand85

Sara Max from FlowerLandShop said 3 years ago

I LOVE this video!! All dogs are too cute! I'm dog lover!:)

• tonycarl

Anthony from MerchandiseLoft said 3 years ago

nice to have dogs at work. looks like fun!

• LittleDogsCloset

Becky from LittleDogsCloset said 3 years ago

Harrison, my Etsy dog is my buddy, my companion and sometimes model in my Etsy shop. We rescued him almost two years ago and he is a constant delight. How lucky you all are to have your Etsy dogs at work with you every day!

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 3 years ago

What a great article! My two miniature schnauzers, Heidi and Fritz, always keep me company in my studio. They snooze at my feet while I make jewelry and "supervise" my work. It's not so lonely working alone at home all day with my best friends around.

• DigitalCS

Mercedes from DigitalCS said 3 years ago

I love this so much!!!

• DigitalCS

Mercedes from DigitalCS said 3 years ago

Extremely cute and sweet and fun video! The article and the whole concept is just great! Lots of happy moments to you with your doggies!:)

• StudioLegohead

jo chambers from StudioLegohead said 3 years ago

Such a nice article. Love that there are so many canine companions at Etsy. And the fact a lot are rescues is a bonus. So many fabulous pooches needing good homes. Good work x x x

• licoricewits

Terry from licoricewits said 3 years ago

Ah, this is sweet, but it makes me really miss my 2 companions of many years that have passed on. I think maybe it's time to look for a new one.

• ittybittybag

Jen St. Jean from ittybittybag said 3 years ago

I work out of a home studio & for many hours have no contact with people. Very thankful my 3 dachshunds keep me company. They also remind me to take a break. Good for all of us.

• HerMajestysPug

Nancy from HerMajestysPug said 3 years ago

You had me at woof!!! My pug of 13 wonderful years, Princess, was my inspiration for my shop name& logo. Pugs n kisses

• WastelandArtisan

Adria Lynn from WastelandArtisan said 3 years ago

I fortunately work with my dog too, unfortunately in my home studio. You guys are SUPER lucky :D

• HerMajestysPug

Nancy from HerMajestysPug said 3 years ago

You had me at woof!!! My pug of 13 wonderful years, Princess, was my inspiration for my shop's name and logo!! Pugs n kisses:)

• comicbooksandmore

Joe Padovich from classiccomicbooks said 3 years ago

Cool post, Hi Nancy, Cool pic of you pug I have a black one

• Moochews

Cristen Breuer from MOOTUGS said 3 years ago

From SAStudio: “Nice post! Which continues to beg the question, if etsy is so dog/pet friendly, how come we can't see a Pets category on the FP?” DITTO!! p.s. It was really nice to see all the Etsy peeps and their pets. Such cute faces...especially that Frenchie ;-)

• WiseLines

Connie Caldwell from WiseLines said 3 years ago

My little rescue dog Jasper (- pug-maltese-cattle dog mix) watched this together. He had the best seat in the house... my lap! Loved it, thanks!

• WiseLines

Connie Caldwell from WiseLines said 3 years ago

My rescue dog Jasper ( pug-maltese-cattle dog) watched this together. He had the best seat in the house ... my lap! Loved it, thanks!

• harrachglass

Carol from HarrachGlass said 3 years ago

My dogs are with me when I'm working too. Your dogs are as cute as mine!

• baconsquarefarm

baconsquarefarm from baconsquarefarm said 3 years ago

Love this article,with the photos of some of them, yea doggies~ thanks etsy for having them around since the beginning as they do bring a different element to ones daily life. We've had rescue dogs on the farm as long as I can remember and miss pepper our border collie sits outside my studio doorway watching me paint each day~ love to see photos of more of them in the future too. :)

• FlyingHero

Kyley and Ammo from FlyingHero said 3 years ago

My dachshund Ammo comes to work everyday with me in my custom frame shop. He greets people at the door with a friendly tail wag and he makes it so much more enjoyable to come to work. I only wish dogs were allowed everywhere!

• dipalisahni

dipalisahni said 3 years ago

I *heart* Hoover. I wish he could come to work with me.

• lulusnest

Lulu Hill from lulusnest said 3 years ago

Oh my! I would absolutely love to work at a plact like Etsy that allows you to bring your dog with you! Am so J E A L O U S! Enjoy it and keep up the amazing work!

• CabochonCorner

Emily H from CabochonCorner said 3 years ago

Awe! I love it :) My pooch is my little business partner too ;)

• apaperaffaire

Holly Havnaer from apaperaffaire said 3 years ago

Love it! I love pet friendly companies. When I'm in my studio making cards, I bring my pups' bed in and they curl up beside me. We spend all day every Friday like that. It's my favorite day of the week. :)

• GoddessOfJewelry

GoddessOfJewelry from GoddessOfJewelry said 3 years ago

Oh my goodness, the cuteness is too much! I have worked in a few dog-friendly offices in the past. I loved it! Can't wait to get a dog at home...then I can bring my dog to my office every day! ;)

• TheWanderingEwe

Ewe from TheWanderingEwe said 3 years ago

That's one of the best policies I've heard of. I'm sure my dog Walter will approve when I tell him. He wished dogs were allowed in more places!

• Assemblages

Assemblages from Assemblages said 3 years ago

I love this story !

• KatesCache

Kathy Trunzo from KatesCache said 3 years ago

Wonderful story! Kudos for having a dog friendly office! My dogs are my inspiration everyday as I work on my little crochet and knitted dogs I make in my shop.

• linneamarie

linneamarie from BrooklynStVintage said 3 years ago

Definitely put a smile on my face! Thanks so much for sharing this, I wish I could take mine to my day job. A dogs presence is so calming.

• happyhound

HappyHound from HappyHound said 3 years ago

Winston the Italian Greyhound agrees that Dogs are Good! He is my inspiration and joy- yay for doggies!

• susiemazur

Susie Mazur from StrixnebulosaCrochet said 3 years ago

Thats so awesome!! I would love to have mine at work with me too. Thanks so much for bigging up rescues!!

• mrsknarfocram511

Carole M from CarolesWeddingWhimsy said 3 years ago

I am pea green with envy. If I could bring my Bichon, Goomba, to the office, I would work outside the home. Thank you for a great story.

• Kam2012

Kam from RiverGoddessBoutique said 3 years ago

That is so cool! Love it! : )

• Winterowls

Jennifer Ross from WinterOwls said 3 years ago

I loved reading this, my Ruby is my faithful painting companion. I had to laugh though because I could never take her to a workplace. She would eat everyone's lunch!

• Dragee

Mihály Judit from Dragee said 3 years ago

I wish I had a work environment like this one day! My dog would adore hanging out there, and I would adore having him there, too. :) + etsy dogs are super cute and funny!

• GracefullyGirly

Kimberlee from GracefullyGirly said 3 years ago

Of all the things I like about etsy this one is closest to my heart! I used to be a teacher (my pre-etsy job) and was fortunate enough to be able to take my dog, Cedar, to school with me. My first assignment was with kids who struggled and who were removed from the standard classroom setting for aggressiveness or severe lack of attendance, etc. I had an amazing and insightful boss who agreed with me that a little doggy lesson might help. That was great but the doggy LOVE might have made a bigger impact! The district was amazingly ok with it too since it was first on a trial basis. I was able to teach and reach the kids like you wouldn't believe from the very day I brought her with me. The kids opened up, learned, and some told me that it was the first time they enjoyed coming to school. The attendance skyrocketed, as did the morale (of both me and the kids). Even their grades did too. The best part was that I was offered a standard, regular class the following year since they moved that program off campus, and was still able to take my dog to school. It was the best part of my job, besides the obvious love from the kids. I was a happier and healthier teacher which benefited not only me, my dog, and the kids, but the district as well. The kids were in school more, the grades improved, morale improved and everyone was happier, especially my beloved Cedar who was the most loved dog in the world. It helps that she was amazing (and not just because she was my dog, of course). Not every dog would do well with a classroom of kids, but we were ALL so lucky she was a perfect fit.

• Aristocrafts

Aristocrafts from Aristocrafts said 3 years ago

Thank you, Etsy, for sharing these beautiful and endearing images and thoughts on working with our pets! It's so true! Dogs bring us joy, love and inspiration, they do deserve a raise each day :)!

• dianesk9creations

dianesk9creations from dianesk9creations said 3 years ago

Nice post. I aways thought Etsy hated pets. Now you can show us some LOVE and put us on the front page for "Pets Category" Please.

• MySweetieBean

Ivy T from MySweetieBean said 3 years ago

This is great! I firmly believe that having dogs in the work environment does help with stress levels. I used to take my dog to work with me every day when I was the Ops Officer for a construction company. Everybody loved her to bits and Dilly was such a sweetheart. There was nothing like having her snuggled up at my feet while I was working. I was heartbroken when she left us. I miss her soooo much.

• MySweetieBean

Ivy T from MySweetieBean said 3 years ago

ps - my kids have watched the video 5 times now. LOL

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 3 years ago

My naughty little rescue Shih Tzu by the name of Tribble, and my rescue fat cat, Moe share my pottery studio. I have written about them on my "about" page and you can see photos of them. Life would not be the same, without our furry friends♥

• bertiescloset

bertiescloset from bertiescloset said 3 years ago

we love dogs. but worship cats :)

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 3 years ago

Looks very fun

• HeyHarriet

Tracy from HeyHarriet said 3 years ago

Great article! More workplaces should follow in your footsteps and allow their staff to bring along their furry companions to work :)

• KnottyanNice

Kelsie from KnottyandNiceHemp said 3 years ago

My career/day job is teaching dog training classes, so I think this is just great!

• AgelessThings

AgelessThings from VintageAgelessThings said 3 years ago

Well, what a great article! The best yet! The unconditional love of an animal is a joy to our inner spirit. And our inner spirit is where creativity comes from. So keep up the good work!

• Dollybirdblythe

Sharon from Dollybirdblythe said 3 years ago

The Etsy office culture sounds fantastic! You don't have any jobs going for a fantastic admin assistant with two adorable dogs do you? :P

• nicilaskin

Nici Laskin from NiciLaskin said 3 years ago

my old lady is always under my bench or table where i sit when i work or on the studio couch ( living room )

• LoveYourBling

Ruthie from LoveYourBling said 3 years ago

Adorable!

• IndyAndCleo

IndyAndCleo from IndyAndCleo said 3 years ago

Wonderful post and LOVED LOVED LOVED the video!!! .....I am so inspired by my pets that my Etsy shop is named after them, (IndyAndCleo) and their portraits (painted by my husband) are featured items! Sadly, Indiana Jones is no longer with us, but his lovable and adventurous spirit will live on in my heart forever. ❤ We have since brought another Cavalier into our home ~ adopted from CavalierRescueUSA. : ) Cleo and Bogey are faithfully with me every single day whether creating for my shop, tweeting or pinning ~ and they are the stars of my instagram account! I am a hopeless doglover at heart! Thank you for sharing all of your furbabies with us! Woof!

• Serrelynda

Sara Crisci from Serrelynda said 3 years ago

I LOVE this.. I adore my two dogs, and am so glad they can come to the "office" with me.... when I worked outside the home, I was always in a hurry to leave to go home to see my fur babies....great policy for companies.

• bigpawsaints

Kathy from BigpawCollars said 3 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!! Thank you etsy for making your HQ dog friendly. If I ever make it to the city for a visit, I will be sure to stop in and say hi to all the four legged staff :) Thank you for sharing this!!!!!!

• mentalembellisher

Mental from mentalembellisher said 3 years ago

Yay for dogs in the workplace! My three Weimaraners are a constant source of inspiration and fantastic models too, they also force me to take breaks occasionally to run around and stretch with them ;-) Whenever I read that a shop on Etsy is a 'pet-free environment' I always feel a bit sad... Love that video!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 3 years ago

Awwwww - we love dogs here. Fantastic post! We have horrible, horrible allergies - so we are a pet free environment! We especially love cats and have tried them both, but it just didn't work out for us! Lizzie, especially!

• theCopperPoppy

theCopperPoppy from theCopperPoppy said 3 years ago

Love this! I sure hope their pet tags are handmade too :) No seriously - one of the best things I've found since leaving my corporate cubicle to work at home selling on Etsy is having my pets with me. It seriously makes all the difference!

• That70sShoppe

Natalie from That70sShoppe said 3 years ago

How wonderful!

• DieselDOGwear

Jessica from dieselDOGwear said 3 years ago

I want to work at Etsy :)

• Laughingdogstudio

Korinne from LaughingDogStudio said 3 years ago

This is wonderful to see! Love to see doggies in work places : )

• kiamichi7

kiamichi7 from kiamichi7 said 3 years ago

Those beautiful dogs are lucky! No being cooped up all day, missing their special people. It's nice to know this is part of Etsy's culture.

• pilulajula

Traci Leonard from PilulaJula said 3 years ago

How fun...Thanks for sharing this unique look into Etsy! Pilar (flame point Birman cat), Clark (Golden Retriever) and Denny Bart (Beagle) send wags and licks from Texas!!

• stockannette

Annette from Stockannette said 3 years ago

I hope the office puppers don't do too much shopping... there are lots of tasty handmade treats on Etsy!

• anotherghostquilts

Nancy from anotherghostquilts said 3 years ago

I love this.

• skyvalleygems

skyvalleygems from skyvalleygems said 3 years ago

Great article .

• yossinee

Yossinee Prachankhet from Tomyumkung said 3 years ago

NICE!!

• seacucumbermama

seacucumbermama said 3 years ago

Talking, working dogs. Doggie and people heaven. Love it. Great video. Am in love with those doggie voices!

• MerryMaenad

Raven Delaval from MerryMaenad said 3 years ago

Love this, especially that so many are rescues. I run a husky rescue, so this put a huge smile on my face. :)

• BethiefliesToo

Bethie from BethieFliesToo said 3 years ago

My dogs are loving this!

• breezemassicotte

Breeze Beads from BreezeBeading said 3 years ago

I totally wish I could bring my dog to work! I would definitely have a lot more than 1 dog! haha

• WoodenItBeadLovely

Leslie M from WoodenItBeadLovely said 3 years ago

Best companions in the world! I have a dog and a cat and they both make me smile! The cat was born wild and came to us half starved at about 9 weeks of age. She is an absolute cuddle-puss and rules our shop and studio. She loves to watch me work at my jewelry (sometimes trying to assist - lol!) half asleep and purring! The dog is a sweetheart. I got him from a breeder who had him returned to her because of a family break-up, so at 7 yrs old he needed a new home! He rules the house! Glad to have him - he loves a big cuddle too! I think it's a terrific idea to have four legged furry people as co-workers! Kudos Etsy!

• nagelrj

R J said 3 years ago

<---- obviously a dog person. Great article and pics.. but why can't I see the video? It is just a black box. :(

• shannas444

Shanna Sukol said 3 years ago

My dog Oscar comes to work with me every day! It makes all the difference in the world - he's become the mascot of the office. :)

• recycledideas

recycledideas from recycledideas said 3 years ago

Thank you for this post! I completely agree that dogs can make a workplace more mellow, productive, and cheerful. <3 working with my newfie <3 She just needs to keep her slobbery furry self out of the product and my customers and I are happy. I think I may have to take the time to introduce her on my company Fb page! Her and my other friendly, furry helpers.. (aka my husband, ha ha ha)

• AlinaandT

Alina from AlinaandT said 3 years ago

Aww Hoover is too cute! But then again I have a thing for dachshunds, and we have one at home too!

• cottonandflaxshop

Erin Dollar from cottonandflaxshop said 3 years ago

I love this! One of my favorite things about working from my home studio is getting to see my cool cat during the day. Pets bring so much joy, glad you shared this on the blog. I think I'll write a blog post soon about my cat, who I jokingly call Cotton & Flax's CFO...

• KarenHoglund

Karen Hoglund from KarenHoglund said 3 years ago

Working at home with your dog is great, until he drops the ball at your feet for the 100th time. Not that my golden ever does that...

• BeachHouseLiving

BeachHouseLiving from BeachHouseLiving said 3 years ago

Woof, woof! This is fantastic! I had the good fortune of bringing our (rescue) Dachshunds to work. They had official positions with "treat" benefits and were included on the company website. They happily entertained visitors with their tricks and antics managed to achieve a small loyal fan base that would either stop by or send them toys and treats. Their presence definitely added something special to the workplace.

• blackrockvintage

blackrockvintage from BlackRockVintage said 3 years ago

dogs rule!

• PennyBirchWilliams

Penny Birch-Williams from PennyBirchWilliams said 3 years ago

Cute video! And I'm happy to hear that etsy is a dog friendly workplace. I wish more businesses were like that. People would be happier if they had their pets with them. Now that I'm working from home full time I have the constant company of my two dogs (Kirby the Collie and Sylvie the Sheltie) and two cats. It's definitely one of the perks of self-employment! Although, they do tend to interrupt me a lot, wanting treats or walks or petting, so there is a lot of multi-tasking involved in my days! But it's very worth it. I never get lonely, and there's always someone to talk to (so I'm not just talking to myself!)

• hjmart

helen from hjmArtGallery said 3 years ago

LOVE this! My vote is for a cat article next time! Not all, but some cats love to be around people! CUTE, cute dogs! and fun watching!

• CreationsbyDJ

Jeanette Stangland from CreationsbyDJ said 3 years ago

I am reading this article with my best friend next to me. He hears my inspirations and listens to me complain when something doesn't turn out as I planned. Never has he talked back. All he offers is the support to move on and create the next idea. Now that is inspiring.

• LadyVA

Fran from LovelyLinensandMore said 3 years ago

Maxwell Smart, the guy there on the left, says this policy is Lab Approved!

• LariDutchess

Lari from Elluminy said 3 years ago

I left my fancy law firm office job 2 years ago couse I wanted more freedom and to have my sweet baby-dog around all day. now we are together most of the times and we both love it! :)

• elizabethtriggs

Elizabeth from LeadOnDogs said 3 years ago

Dogs are great at work! I'm not allowed to take a photo for my shop without my two under the table helping. People who visit love them too. And it's great when they bring their dogs with them.

• janemariefoods

Jane Marie from janemariefoods said 3 years ago

Made my day. Thank you!

• milariscosmetics

Aleksandra from DelightfullyHerbal said 3 years ago

It's a wonderful article and it's great to see pets at work place.

• LCooperDesigns

LC Cooper from LeMaisonBelle said 3 years ago

"An added bonus is that many of the dogs in the Etsy community and the office are rescues." I loved this story - and that was my favorite part! All our pets have been "rescues"...they are (and were) the sweetest, most loving little beings. We owned a computer store and took our golden retriever (Bleu) everyday - people would stop in just to see her and bring her treats. When she passed (at 17!), our shop was literally filled with flowers sent by customers. :)

• PoochyCouture

Dee Bennett from PoochyCouture said 3 years ago

This is so great!!! I especially like the video, and I swear I saw one of my tags on an Etsy pup:)

• GalvestonTradingCo

Caron from GalvestonTradingCo said 3 years ago

I love this post! I also love dogs!

• PinwheelStudio

Whitney from PinwheelStudio said 3 years ago

So true!! Dogs are the key to creative operations :). I know my two little ones are on staff with Pinwheel Studio. Love it, nice post, and the voices in the video were great!

• PinwheelStudio

Whitney from PinwheelStudio said 3 years ago

So true. Dogs are key to creative operations. I know my two little ones are on staff in Pinwheel Studio. Love it, great post, and love the voices in the video!

• artsyclay

Judy from ArtsyClay said 3 years ago

LOVE the video!! Cute photos. Lucky lucky people, wish I could bring my dog to work.

• dusidog

dusidog from dusidog said 3 years ago

Love the video!!! My big boy and little gal are my inspiration and the driving force behind the shop. They wish they could help in the studio. (Luckily they don't have thumbs, lol)

• thisislullaby

Vicky Brown from ThisisLullaby said 3 years ago

Brilliant, what a fun thing. Honestly, I am not a dog person at all, but I can see how this would work!

• TreatsbyGary

Gary from GarysETC said 3 years ago

I absolutely love the article about the dogs of Etsy! I'd love to send the dogs some Tipsy Treats as a big Thank You for making Etsy such a fun and easy site to use! Cute photos of the pups too, thanks for posting!

• idiosyncraticvintage

Susan Smith from IdiosyncraticThings said 3 years ago

I want to live in America if you have dog friendly workplaces!

• TeraPLR

Tera G from PaperlessRevolution said 3 years ago

That's great! I really hate leaving my dog at home while I am at work, I would be a happier and more productive employee if I could take my dog with me.

• gossamer531

Gossamer Tearoom from TheGossamerTearoom said 3 years ago

This video has really made my day! Sadly, I don't currently have a dog to keep me company while I work from home in my three shops here on Etsy. But even though my "office" is several hundred miles from Brooklyn, Etsy is my workplace too and I am so very happy and proud that it is a pet-friendly one!

• tranifer

Tranifer Lovely from WonkyCritters said 3 years ago

Awww puppies!!

• dianjane

Dian Jane from dianjanesoaps said 3 years ago

I love these dogs! Made my day!

• JustinZNDoggie

Justin Swigart from ZNDoggie said 3 years ago

How AWESOME! I understand the feelings one gets from the love and affection received from their pets! I have two dogs that inspired me to start my own Dog related business! Its started out as just making treats for them, to selling treats, and now other products! I think its wonderful!!!!

• ArtyDidact

Sharon Parker from ArtyDidact said 3 years ago

That video is delightful fun! When my son was in kindergarten, they had a rabbit that roamed the classroom. I remember when I volunteered one day I felt it rub against my leg like a cat! Such a wonderful presence, these animals.

• foxpots

Carole Fox from foxpots said 3 years ago

Cute video, cute dogs. Mine won't come into my pottery studio, because he doesn't like the sound of the pottery wheel. But when I need a break, he's at the door ready for a walk.

• libush

libush from KittiesAGoGo said 3 years ago

I've always loved the idea of pets in the workplace! I don't have what anyone would call "an office" but my three cats love to keep me company when I'm on the computer or organizing! That little bit of an animal presence can be very calming!

• whataportrait

Nitin K from CustomArtShop said 3 years ago

Pets at workplace are great fun to have. I completely love it and my clients really enjoyed having Bunny around them! The Oil Painting Portraits of Bunny in our studio inspire them to get one for their family and pets too. It's so lovely!

• Celticcatphotos

Celtic Cat Photos Mary Catherine Campbell from Celticcatphotos said 3 years ago

Smart move Etsy! Pets in the work place is a wonderful idea!

• madebymt

ruby chen from madebymt said 3 years ago

I love it.

• sprivategallery

Natali and Kate Schastny from Sprivategallery said 3 years ago

Nice post. I love dogs :)

• billysbungalow

billysbungalow from billysbungalow said 3 years ago

Our dachshund, Billy is the namesake of my Etsy shop! He glows with love and makes everyone smile. Dogs at work are the best!! Great post... and cheers to a dog-friendly office policy. LOVE!

• motorizedlandscape

motorizedlandscape said 3 years ago

How cute! Great article. I just LOVE poochies, though my asthma prevents me from having one or being around them. :( :( :( Feeling left out. I guess people with allergies would not fit into the Etsy community!

• EmbroideredGifts4U

Debbie McLaughlin from TheMonogrammedMutt said 3 years ago

Such a nice work environment with a dog walking around! My yorkie, Rosie visits me in my sewing room mostly to knock over the little trash can. She grabs and runs, expecting me to stop sewing and play. I bet the dogs at Etsy don't behave like Rosie♥

• AdelandTatiana

Adel and Tatiana Szalay from LizzieBooBoutique said 3 years ago

Lovely workplace and a great article :) Looks like my place with my dogs always hanging around. They also mean inspiration for my items and they test most of my designs for comfort and durability - Lizzie Boo Boutique would not exist without them :)

• heroux

Caroline from ArtbyHeroux said 3 years ago

I have a Dog, 3 Cats and 3 Fish. Only my Dog Ruby's allowed in the studio! I have a photo of her in my about page :)

• DiBAdog

DiBAdog from DiBAdog said 3 years ago

Hooray!! I am so happy to hear Etsy HQ is doggie friendly! but wait .. No pets category in the browse? and here I thought you guys didn't like doggies ;) Loved your article and so nice to hear how they impact your working environment. I couldn't imagine my life without Indy Nugget beside me every day.

• MoGirlDesigns

Maree Cunningham from MoGirlDesigns said 3 years ago

OOh love it. If only my mate Jam could come to my day job with me. Can I have a job at Etsy? :)

• Deconfetti

Nata from dekkoline said 3 years ago

Amazing story! My dog is loving video!

• alydeedesign

Alyson from AlyDeePaperDesigns said 3 years ago

So cute! Love these pups. I spend most of my time designing with a cat on my lap.

• Kerguelen

Laetitia from Kerguelen said 3 years ago

Post approved by my dog, and me. :p

• rainydaygrl

Natasha van de Graaff from ChapsAndRascal said 3 years ago

I love this post! The idea of having a dog-friendly work policy is brilliant. Way to go Etsy! My shop is named after two amazing rescues and I make a point to donate a portion of my profit to animal charities so this piece really hits home in a great way.

• thebuttonbird

Katie Cusack from TheButtonBird said 3 years ago

I love this post too! I need my dogs nearby when painting

• damngooddoormats

Spoon Popkin from DamnGoodDoormats said 3 years ago

oh my! I love my chubby little assistants too! Here's my Perogi the Pug inspired doormat! https://www.etsy.com/listing/83049093/pug-rug-hand-painted-doormat?ref=shop_home_active

• ruthgarciacorrales

Ruth Garcia-Corrales from Dachshundwear said 3 years ago

This is the best idea ever, I wish I could bring my Nina to work, the only catch is she would like to be in my lap the whole day!!! Can we make a sweater for Hoover?

• exitera

Hristo Hvoynev from ExiArtsConceptWorlds said 3 years ago

So sweet dogs! I want to have them:)

• creationsbysusie

Susan from creationsbysusie said 3 years ago

Must be nice to bring your dog to work we used to run a mini storage place an the owner was a dog lover and we lived in the apartment upstairs and when we worked on Sat Sparky went to work with daddy every Saturday and the customers got to the point if Sparky was not there they would ask for him and during the week he went downstairs with the manager every day so you might say Sparky had a job as when we asked him if he was ready to go to work he would get really excited we put him downstairs when we left for work and when the manager kept at 9am sparky was greeting when she unlocked the door

• Innytoes

Lizzy from StudioFroezel said 2 years ago

This may be my dream office. I don't think I'd get much work done, though. SORRY NO HAVE TO PET ALL THE DOGS FIRST.

• jeffcatalano

Jeff Catalano said 43 days ago

The best possible thing you can do for anyone is bring a happy well trained dog into the scenario. Well at least almost anyone!. As long as they are not allergic! knowledge is power and everyone should know how to have there own emotional support of therapy service dog if need by. Knowledge is power!! https://federalservicedogs.org/faq/ See if you qualify for a service dog. It has changed many peoples life for the better and everybody should know the laws protecting you and your pet!