Etsy News Blog

Notes From Chad: Visit to the United States Senate

chaddickerson

In my post in May about Etsy’s Certified B Corporation status and our funding, I wrote: “We believe, more than ever, that Etsy can help fundamentally change the way the world works by making it possible for individuals to make and sell things to other people around the globe — a people-powered economy.”

To change how the world works, we have to engage with the political system and make sure that the powers-that-be understand the new people-powered economy we’re working together to build. Over the past several months, I’ve been working behind the scenes to make sure that the collective voice of Etsy is heard. These efforts are paying off. I was asked last week by US Senator Chuck Schumer of New York to come speak to a group of senators about Etsy and how Etsy contributes to the economy. I reported to the Mansfield Room in the US Capitol at 9 a.m. on Wednesday. I was excited to tell the story of the Etsy community to members of the most powerful legislative body in the world. There were ten other CEOs there, mostly representing much larger businesses — businesses that required millions (if not billions) of dollars to start — than the businesses you find on Etsy. My goal in speaking there was twofold: I wanted to make sure the senators understood the importance of the contributions you all make to the US (and world) economy, as well as the opportunities that an Internet platform like Etsy creates for people like you to start your own businesses.

I entered the room and sat to Sen. Schumer’s left. The senators in attendance represented many of the places where our US-based sellers live and work. They included Harry Reid (Nevada — the Senate majority leader), Mark Begich (Alaska), Richard Blumenthal (Connecticut), Jeff Merkley (Oregon), Daniel Akaka (Hawaii), Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Chris Coons (Delaware), Dick Durbin (Illinois — majority whip), Kay Hagan (North Carolina — my home state), Tom Udall (New Mexico), Jeanne Shaheen (New Hampshire), Sheldon Whitehouse (Rhode Island), Michael Bennet (Colorado), Jack Reed (Rhode Island), Mary Landrieu (Louisiana), and Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota). You can see photos of the session here (including a few of me with Sen. Schumer and speaking to the assembled group).

I was honored to be the first CEO asked to speak at the beginning of the session. Once everyone settled into the room, Sen. Schumer introduced me, and in his opening remarks said, “Chad and Etsy get entrepreneurship and innovation because that’s what they do and that’s who they work for.” With a portrait of George Washington to my left and one of Mike Mansfield (the namesake of the room) just behind me, I began my remarks. I focused on the Etsy community and called the senators’ attention to the economic value that Etsy sellers create around the country and the world and the importance of our real-world community. Below is my prepared statement:

I’d like to thank Senator Schumer for this opportunity and the support of our company and the technology industry in New York. Etsy is an online marketplace where you can buy handmade and vintage goods directly from artists, designers, and collectors around the world. Our company was founded in 2005, and is growing fast. We employ over 300 people directly and have been profitable since 2009. But I think the story of our community of entrepreneurs is a lot more remarkable than the story of our company. We have over 800,000 active sellers on our platform, more than three-quarters of whom are women entrepreneurs, many with home-based businesses. Our members sell everything from food to furniture. 40 million unique visitors come to our marketplace each month, and last year our sellers grossed more than $525 million in sales.

These sellers are riding two waves of change. One is that the barriers to bring a product to market have fallen very, very low. You can have an idea, manufacture it, and publicize it through social networks like Facebook and Twitter to a global market nearly instantaneously. At Etsy, we’re educating new entrepreneurs on how to run this new kind of business. In a school in Tempe, Arizona, a teacher is using Etsy to teach 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders about entrepreneurship, with lessons on wholesale versus retail, merchandising, and marketing.

The second wave of change is that platforms like Etsy have lowered the barriers for consumers to find and buy from independent, creative businesses. For the past 150 years, we’ve bought most of the provisions for our lives from big retailers, but it wasn’t always so. The new forms of commerce that the Internet is enabling are networks or communities, and they have huge efficiencies compared to old models. The staff of Etsy doesn’t decide what people make and how much or at what price. We enable lots of experimentation. On Etsy commerce is decentralized, and innovation is bottom-up.

You may not know it, but Etsy has real-world presence in local communities in the form of “street teams” — groups of sellers who self-organize. Nearly 7,000 street teams exist in cities and towns all over the world. Etsy is not a nameless, faceless Internet company. Etsy is a community of real people creating real economic value in the communities our senators represent. And we believe that platforms like Etsy are a model for a brighter economic future.

I don’t have one single policy recommendation but rather want to re-frame how we think about small business and policy in the legislative arena. We talk a lot about job creation and innovation in this country. Many of the entrepreneurs on Etsy don’t open up shop intending to grow to a payroll of 50 employees or hoping to patent a new technology they develop, yet they create work, traditional jobs, and overall value in the economy. Platforms like Etsy are injecting income directly into households, through the empowering opportunity to create a business with a few clicks of a mouse. To do this, they need the same free and open Internet that launched platforms like Etsy, to create more new businesses and economic opportunity for more people more quickly. When you saw the strong reaction to restrictive legislation like SOPA and PIPA on Etsy, you were seeing a united network of entrepreneurs standing up against an entrenched few. [Author's Note: We stood up against this legislation — and won! — last year and early this year.]

This is not going to change any time soon. Networked platforms like Etsy are giving people choices they never had before and an amplified collective voice to make themselves heard. These platforms need to source high-skill talent in order to grow fast enough to meet the demand of our constituents, our users, so I’d also ask you to consider needed immigration reforms. [Author's Note: In speaking about immigration reform, I was speaking to the need for more technical talent in the US to continue building the software behind web platforms like Etsy, a hot topic for technology-based companies and on Capitol Hill.] I appreciate the help in fostering a legislative environment where our company and community can thrive.

In my spoken remarks, I also referred to a tweet that I got on the way over to the Capitol from seller Sandra Lombardi in Florida: “Tell them I said Etsy has helped me feed my family for $0.20 + imagination.” I did tell them, and had the pleasure of tweeting back to Sandra that I passed her message on to the senators in attendance.

After the session, Sen. Schumer invited me to walk with him through the Capitol as he headed to the Senate Finance Committee meeting, and we took the special subway system beneath the Capitol together. He published a press release on his Senate website and tweeted about my visit. I’d like to thank Senator Schumer and his staff for their generosity in hosting me at the Capitol last week and their recognition that Etsy and the businesses Etsy represents are important to the American economy. After last week, a critical mass of US Senators now know the power of the Etsy community. I was really proud to represent you at the Capitol and will continue working to keep your interests top of mind in places like the US Senate and beyond.

• OnceUponAGem

Madi from OnceUponAGem says:

Interesting read.... thanks.

• WinchesterLambourne

WinchesterLambourne from WinchesterLambourne says:

Yep, very interesting. Thanks, Chad. It must have been a little nerve-wracking to go first!

• peaseblossomstudio

Caroline from peaseblossomstudio says:

Thank you for sharing your experience, Chad. Very interesting!

• CopperLeafStudios

Chris from CopperLeafStudios says:

Thank you for sharing!! As someone who survived a job loss by building a business, I am grateful and excited that this discussion is taking place. Thank you for being a part of it, in so many ways.

• MeekaMayesMarket

Sue from MeekaMayesMarket says:

I have had the occasion to meet with Sen. Klobuchar (MN) in the past on both healthcare issues and environmental bills. I will now be contacting her to tell her that I am a seller on etsy. I hope this will give her a sense of who, in Minnesota, are creating home based businesses through etsy. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into this hearing.

• ABridesEyeView

Pat from ABridesEyeView says:

Totally impressive and exciting. Change has been ongoing for ever but now, it travels at the speed of light. I am so excited to be a part of it. Thank you Etsy for that opportunity. Pat

• TheHickoryTree

Linda from TheHickoryTree says:

Interesting article. Thank you for sharing it with us.

• BuzzPlanet

Brandi from PuurBody says:

Ah, that line made me weepy "feed my family for .20 + imagination". How poignant and so true for many of us! I like how you said that most people on etsy don't "start out wanting to build a payroll of 50", that's true of me, and yet I've been given an opportunity to see that that is possible for me, if I want it.

• sepireshmaat

Tina Harris from CharmCityConjure says:

Do you realize that the Republicans are going the Democrats in its push to have states collect sales tax on internet sales? Check out the article in last week's Wall Street Journal. It used to be that you didn't collect state's sales tax unless you had a physical presence in that state (a brick and mortar store). But soon that is about to change. And I think that would have a detrimental impact on the people-based economy Etsy has built over the years. As buyers we currently do not have to pay sales tax. As sellers not only would you have to collect sales tax on all sales, could you image having to file income tax in all 50 states where you've made sales? The gov't has been wanting to get there hands on internet trade money for years and they are finally moving ahead with it. I hope you were able to address this issue.

• dressurdolly2

Pattie from dressurdolly2 says:

What a terrific opportunity! Thanks Chad! I especially like this part: "Platforms like Etsy are injecting income directly into households, through the empowering opportunity to create a business with a few clicks of a mouse. To do this, they need the same free and open Internet that launched platforms like Etsy, to create more new businesses and economic opportunity for more people more quickly. When you saw the strong reaction to restrictive legislation like SOPA and PIPA on Etsy, you were seeing a united network of entrepreneurs standing up against an entrenched few. "

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading says:

very cool.... always very impressive to speak at capitol hill. My 12 year old actually had to speak with Senator's on Capitol Hill last year because she was The Epilepsy Foundation of NJ's representative to Congress.... I was a nervous wreck... she was cool as a cucumber LOL Guess it's good to be a kid :)

• ladyartisan

Eva from LadyArtisan says:

Thanks for sharing this--I appreciate you taking the time and effort to participate. My husband lost his job last year and my Etsy income helped keep us from losing our house until he could find work again, almost a full year later. I am thankful to hear that some kind of representation of us micro-businesses is happening in Washington, even if it's a very infrequent event.

• FallenAngelBrass

Karen and Tina from FallenAngelBrass says:

That Wall Street Journal article cites "a significant political shift that COULD soon bring an end to tax-free sales on the Internet." That online businesses will have to pay out-of-state sales tax is still conjecture at this point.

• spacefem

spacefem from spacefem says:

So awesome. In 2008 there was so much talk about funding "shovel ready" jobs, as if that's what labor has to mean... big, landscape-changing, traditionally male-dominated. The reality is that in the new economy we need companies like Etsy that let a diverse base of people use their talents creatively. We need new voices, we need to break down boarders... I'm really glad you brought up immigration reform. Thanks for making a great statement for all of us.

• spacefem

spacefem from spacefem says:

[sp: borders, dang where's the edit button on comments? lol]

• Libragrl

AngieWare from AngieWare says:

My full-time contract as a School Psychologist was cut last school year here in California and I took this year off to re-group. I too turned to Etsy as a creative outlet. Although, I have not sold anything, it's been very inspiring to connect to others from all over the world and create. Supper great new hobby! Thank-you! My hat is off to you for educating our government and leading the way for this great Etsy company. It would be nice to hear our own however, advocating for specific "technical" programs in our middle and high schools, so that we don't have to constantly turn to other countries for labor support. We used to have a lot of vocational programs in our schools, which are sadly gone now, due to budgets, at least here in California. Perhaps putting faith in our American youth is a thing of the past. At least on a small level Etsy is helping us all. Although, I am not an engineer, I LOVE your outreach for promoting women engineers! My hat is off to you for going political! Cheers!

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro says:

What a great opportunity for you (and all of etsy) Chad. Thank you for sharing.

• NaturalGorgeous

NaturalGorgeous from NaturalGorgeous says:

I have never read a more breathless account of visiting Capitol Hill. "With a portrait of George Washington to my left and one of Mike Mansfield (the namesake of the room) just behind me, I began my remarks." Good lord. I think pretty much everything that was said, could have been said by and about eBay, and eBay got there earlier and bigger. AliBaba is another example, albeit mostly for Asia. I'm disappointed that you chose to focus on the topic near and dear to the heart of web investors - SOPA and PIPA - and ignored the issues that are most important to micro-businesses and the self-employed: the ability to buy health insurance and save for retirement, various taxes, and so on.

• ProfessorTiny

Susan Sanford from ProfessorTiny says:

This is a good upper for the summer...and congratulations on the train ride!

• needlepointnmore

Gloria Hertzler from needlepointnmore says:

Terrific!! What a great opportunity you had, for you, for Etsy, for us. I love Etsy. For me, has been a great opportunity, for sale my items, meet wonderful people and develop some of my skills. Thanks for sharing this.

• StudioYTE

StudioYTE from StudioYTE says:

This is wonderful! Many thanks for sharing!

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads says:

Interesting read and what an amazing opportunity. I share the concern of others about health care and sales tax. At previous jobs, I've filed up to 6 returns each month. The idea of filing 50 is completely insane. I hope any decision made about that takes a threshold amount in the equation. If I have to file 50 returns to pay an average of $3 to each state, that's just cuckoo! lol.

• Onedrumstick

Bronwyn Dennis says:

Wow! It's just turned 6.00am in Australia. I am plodding through a presentation that will lead to new and invigorating directions. Your report proved to be like a morning wheatgrass shot - a prick to the frontal lobe to stay focussed and a gentle squeeze of the heart to release the bristling energy of hope. It also reminded me how I need to practise diplomacy and charm when conversing with conservative thinkers with different moral framework to my own. Hmmmm... Thank you for taking the time to share.

• vsc83

Victoria from VictoriaCampDesigns says:

Wonderful! I am so happy to read this article. It really is quite remarkable what the members of our community are capable of. In terms of both micro-businesses and the economic community, we are making an impact on both a large scale overall, and a smaller scale -more specifically with our immediate households. To me, this was the most notable line, "But I think the story of our community of entrepreneurs is a lot more remarkable than the story of our company." Well put!

• Gypsymoondesigns

Gypsymoondesigns from Gypsymoondesigns says:

Thanks Chad. Having a platform like Etsy has made a big difference for my business.

• Mclovebuddy

Mr. Sal Phan, Bichon Frise from Mclovebuddy says:

"Networked platforms like Etsy are giving people choices they never had before and an amplified collective voice to make themselves heard. These platforms need to source high-skill talent in order to grow fast enough to meet the demand of our constituents." there's actually no amplified voice. i don't believe that's true at all. new platforms such as etsy are the bureaucracies of the 21st century and any early gains for the individual seller and the mom and pop store won't see lasting growth and etsy as a corporation, it's shareholders, and employees will gain most. i don't feel it really has anything to do w/ etsy. it's business and most fail in the long term for various reasons. as a platform, etsy as a corporation stands to benefit most w/ profits and its amplified voice. that should never be a stand in for sellers' voices. it would be a complete misrepresentation. sellers will come and go. some fail, some move on because they outgrow etsy as a business or get tired of shenanigans.

• FloweringFamily

Flowering Family from FloweringFamily says:

Thank you for representing us! Etsy has helped my family in many ways. I have learned so much about my own talents and skills. Etsy has made me realize how much time, love, and effort goes into making beautiful things. I have also came across so many amazing things from amazing people all over the world that I would have never had the opportunity to do or find with out it. I am sure that it helps feed there families as well. I am so thankful for etsy.

• GraysCrafts

Anna and Kenneth Gray from GraysCrafts says:

Chad is a big kid. What's worse, he isn't alone. He is a part of Etsy's corporate culture. I remember when we came home after the first day of elementary school, my girlfriend made a report to her Mom very much similar to Chad's. "And there was a beautiful teacher in blue dress, and I gave her these pink flowers you gave me". OK, at least he tried - and got us to smile! :)

• ColorsMadeNew

ColorsMadeNew from ColorsMadeNew says:

What a cool read, must have been inspiring to be there. I too had a job loss and huge change of life. With hundreds of thousands of other people in California also looking for employment when there is so few, this seems like it will be just the beginning experience here. It is so rewarding having a place like Etsy to turn to in order to create not just items but a job

• KottageKreations

KottageKreations from KottageKreations says:

As I became disabled, I found Etsy to make a difference for my family. Sharing my talents has been the most rewarding part of my life. I wake up really loving my "job". I feel good going to work everyday and being my own boss. This is what Etsy has done for me, and being able to provide for my family is the greatest feeling ever. Thanks for being here for all of us!

• DJReigel

DJReigel from DJReigel says:

Thanks, Chad. Thanks to Etsy's and small business platforms like Etsy's people have the ability to make money during these hard times. As I think you alluded to, Chad, the barriers to form a successful small business are few...at this time. As a community, it is VITAL that we all remain vigilant in preserving and protecting this online free market from policy makers who are constantly pressured to find more tax revenues. Remember, the money we make here is money spent on other people's small businesses. Together, we can all keep the economy rolling along.

• ecokaren

Karen Lee from ecokaren says:

Totally awesome that our state senator values what Etsians are all about! Thanks for spreading the news to the rest of the country!

• BellaBeads4U

Marilyn from BellaBeads4U says:

Thanks for sharing!

• EmilyWiserJewelry

EmilyWiserJewelry from EmilyWiserJewelry says:

Wonderful! Please keep up the good work. Etsy has many women-owned businesses. For far too long women's businesses women's work have not been seen as valuable. I'm glad you're working to change that perception by emphasizing how Etsy contributes to the economy.

• BlackForestCottage

Donna and Darrell Knish from BlackForestCottage says:

Now I have to say this is one of the best interviews that I have heard from Chad, excellent to the point and what a great day for etsy sellers. Thanks for sharring Chad

• TheWallaroo

Sandra from TheWallaroo says:

Thanks Chad. I have high hopes for Etsy and the opportunities that our collective voice can initiate for small business owners, artisan communities, non-profit organizations, schools, etc. around the world. It almost brings me to tears to see that there are indeed so many sellers here who use Etsy to make a positive impact in their household's economy. Whether it was triggered by job loss, health issues or the pure eagerness to give your family a better life, one thing is very clear: These sellers are fighters! They do not surrender to the tough times! The beauty of this, and what I'm most thankful for, is that when it comes down to providing for your family, there is no greed. We have dreams but what really brings a smile to our face is the simple ways in which we can put some good food in our tables, cloth our children, take our family out for ice cream... This is truly the greatest feeling ever.

• GracefullyGirly

Kimberlee from GracefullyGirly says:

Thanks so much for spreading the word and helping to educate legislators about the real people behind the shops in addition to the benefits that they, and Etsy as the platform, bring to a global economy. You are so right about the income injected directly into households. It has changed MY household for the better and allowed me to stay home with my child and work from home around our schedules. Etsy has enabled me to build a business and sell my items all over the world, something I would not have even contemplated without Etsy. I, for one, and thrilled to be a contributor to the global economy and I'm even more thrilled with its contribution to mine!

• baconsquarefarm

baconsquarefarm from baconsquarefarm says:

Oh my goodness how sweet was that visit chad~ a photo of George and the name sake of the room on your otherside~ an awe moment for you I'll bet. Thanks for sharing etsy's story for all of us sellers of handmades and vintage, supplies too. :)

• ShellsForMySuzy

Suzanne and Melissa from ShellsForMySuzy says:

Thank you so much for sharing with us! What a terrific opportunity for the Etsy community! With jobs scarce, it is a pleasure having an Etsy shop and making a few extra dollars!

• aBreathofFrenchair

Elizabeth from ABreathOfFrenchAir says:

Thank you for sharing and for speaking n behalf of all Etsy sellers.

• anickascottage

Ann from AnickasCottage says:

You make us proud Chad..Thanks!

• ForeverYoursTruly

Lindsay from ForeverYoursTruly says:

Awesome article and way to represent us!

• goingplaces2

Ginger Oliphant from GoingPlaces2 says:

Thank your for supporting us and giving us a voice in the US Senate!

• dayslonggone

Gwynne Collins from DaysLongGone says:

What a great article, Chad! Thanks for representing us! Such a positive article and glad you share this with us all!

• jmayoriginals

jean from jmayoriginals says:

thanks for sharing.

• gardendiva

gardendiva from gardendiva says:

Great article! Thanks for sharing. When it comes to job creation, I think as far as congress is concerned, we're way under the radar, yet sales from etsy is real tangable income for a lot of people.

• lifemeetsart

Jolynn from lifemeetsart says:

Interesting.

• ThisCharmingCandy

Susan Dziadosz from ThisCharmingCandy says:

Interesting article and I'm proud to be associated with Etsy. On a selfish note, I'm tickled that Chad mentioned "food" as a category of product that's sold on Etsy :-)

• Celticcatphotos
  • CreationsdeFlorence

Florence Pindrys from CreationsdeFlorence says:

Awesome. I love all you said Chad to all these senators. Etsy is a wonderful place and I'm so happy to be part of it.

• compassionmalas

Laura from compassionmalas says:

Thanks for speaking up for us, Chad. It will help our representatives balance their need for more tax revenues with the need they know our economy has to encourage small businesses. Now they know who we are.

• TeepetalsDesigns

Tee from TeepetalsDesigns says:

thanks for sharing your experience you had with us chad!

• AgelessThings

AgelessThings from VintageAgelessThings says:

Thank you, Chad. It was a lovely speech. We are so lucky to have a platform to operate a small business, without the expense of a brick and mortar store. A place to express our individuality and creative nature. We can do it any time of night or day, on our own schedule. We can extend as much energy as we wish and success is up to ourselves. I have learned so much since opening on Etsy. And I thank you again for representing us.

• jhfabriccreations

Janet Howard from JHFabricCreations says:

Hey Chad - Did you suggest to them all to do their Christmas shopping on Etsy? LOL.

• AntoinettesWhims

Antoinette from AntoinettesWhims says:

Thanks Chad!

• stonz

Susan from SToNZ says:

Senator Sherrod Brown's wife shops on Etsy. She's one of my favorite customers!

• lacegrl130

Dorothy Jane from lacegrl130 says:

Great post! How exciting! I am in NC as well and Kay Hagan comes from my city. Etsy is a miracle - my husband is out of work and we decided to try and make up the shortfall with my ideas and his shipping skills. It is paying our daughter's college loans right now. Etsy makes it possible for us to work hard, but stress less. Thanks, Chad!

• PruAtelier

Jeanne B from PruAtelier says:

Oh what did you have to go tell THEM for? Now they're going to think of new ways to tax us!! LOL! But seriously.....good job Chad in speaking up for all the small (and large!) businesspeople that are Etsy. With so many millions of Americans out of work though, I think your wanting more imported labor in the tech field is a bit misguided. We must spend more of our effort sourcing our talent from this country, that is people already trained in this field, and put a HUGE dent in the unemployment statistics. I think it would certainly be a win-win situation!

• allisonmooney

Allison Mooney from allisonmooney says:

Thank you, Chad! What an honor and a great opportunity for our community to be heard and recognized. Very excited to be a part of Etsy and very thankful for the ability to contribute to our family income. I don't know where I'd be without this resource.

• aGhoulsNightOut

Lisa Lange from LangeDollCouture says:

Thanks for sharing!!

• southcentric

Jeannie from southcentric says:

The day etsy realizes it is a platform for sellers and celebrates that will be an amazing day!

• EarthSeaWarrior

ursula from EarthSeaWarrior says:

gooooooooO ETSY!!!

• Lapidarious

Barney from Lapidarious says:

Interesting article, and great to see Etsy represented in front of those that can have such meaningful input to its future. Thanks.

• joepapendick

Joe Papendick from joepapendick says:

Thanks Chad! I guess I missed the part where you previously asked the community at large here what specific issues we felt needed to be addressed.

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal says:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your comments. """ Etsy is an online marketplace where you can buy handmade and vintage goods directly from artists, designers, and collectors around the world. "" Its too bad that you forgot about the supply side of Etsy though.

• BabaMoon

Naomi Morgan from BabaMoon says:

Wonderful stuff! And so positive for the community to read and know just how far we have all come wherever we may be working in the world. Thanks for sharing Chad!

• fieldtrip

Amy from fieldtrip says:

Congrats Chad! So exciting that you were able to do this. I read the aricle rapt. When I was through I caught myself wondering: "Hmmm if the senators go home and tell their wives about Etsy, maybe word would spread and the First Lady and her friends would start shopping here (if they don't already)". Lololol seems like many of my fellow Etsians I've got "the bug". Either way I can't see this as anything but a positive development for Etsy and it's members!

• fieldtrip

Amy from fieldtrip says:

Aricle = article

• seaglassgems4you
  • ForeverCherishDesign

Melanie from ForeverCherishDesign says:

Thank you, Chad! And yes, $.20 + imagination has helped pay our bills since my husband has been out of work or working only part-time. I'm so thankful for Etsy and the opportunities!

• TamsyTrends

Maite from TamsyTrends says:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing about your visit to the Capitol, Chad! I, too, am very proud to be a part of the Etsy community and I am very thankful that this platform allows me to contribute to our family income while still being at home to take care of my kids.

• freckledlaundry

Jami Clune from freckledlaundry says:

Thanks, Chad. "Etsy has helped me feed my family for .20 + imagination" ~ awesome.

• extrafinecreations

extrafinecreations from extrafinecreations says:

Very reassuring to know that Etsy is doing things that bring attention to what we are all about. So many times others complain that Etsy does nothing for the members of our community to promote our efforts....kudos to you, Chad..thanks for letting us know that Etsy does care!

• TheMillineryShop

Marcia Lacher from TheMillineryShop says:

Excellent! Thank you Chad, Thank you Chuck!

• LazyTcrochet

Tricia from LazyTcrochet says:

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks, Chad!

• EpicallyEpicSoap

Epically from EpicallyEpicSoap says:

My favorite part: "The second wave of change is that platforms like Etsy have lowered the barriers for consumers to find and buy from independent, creative businesses. For the past 150 years, we’ve bought most of the provisions for our lives from big retailers, but it wasn’t always so."

• PrettyJewelryThings

Pretty Jewelry Things Store from PrettyJewelryThings says:

Thank you for representing and speaking for the Etsy community Chad.

• 3princessesengraving

Tyson and Rachael from 3PrincessesStore says:

Wonderful! Thanks for speaking for the Etsy Community!

• lucentlampworks

Brad Michael from lucentlampworks says:

Thank you Chad! Well said! Brad

• ArabellaReason

ArabellaReason from ArabellaReason says:

Thank you for the article. It was nice to see a senator from Ohio was at the meeting! I run my shop out of Cincinnati, Ohio. As always, it is so nice to educate about Etsy.

• RavenNJ

Lise Stanley from TheEnduringAppeal says:

Thank you Chad for being there and speaking for us little guys that seldom get a chance to have a voice in Washington.

• LoriMarie

Lori Cellini Deal from LoriMarie says:

Thanks so much for sharing Chad!! Bravo!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade says:

Thank you, Chad for keeping us informed and moving forward!

• CreativeSpiritGlass

Anne Malone from CreativeSpiritGlass says:

Fantastic! Great stuff. My husband was laid off in 2008. Too old to get hired, too young for Social Security. He, knowing more about computers than I, helped me to open my Etsy shop last summer. He now helps me in the studio. First year in many that I have not been stressing about how to get the bills paid. Thank you!

• CreativeSpiritGlass

Anne Malone from CreativeSpiritGlass says:

Fantastic! Great! My husband was laid off in 2008. Too old to get hired, too young for Social Security. Last summer, since he knows more about computers than I do, he helped me to open my Etsy shop. He now helps me in the studio. First year in many that I have not been stressing about how to get the bills paid. Thank you!

• suzanneartist

Suzanne Urban from SmirkingGoddess says:

Thank you Chad.

• JBPacrat

JBPacrat from JBPacrat says:

Looks like Etsy has been the financial salvation for many families facing tough times and it's commendable that many of their stories were brought to the attention of our senators but if this internet sales tax is passed, and it has strong support from both parties, it will surely put many of our sellers out of business. I know that I will have to close up shop. I can't imagine collecting sales tax for fifty different states.

• PeriniDesigns

Vanessa Perini from PeriniDesigns says:

Love buying and selling on Etsy! Thank you!

• JessicaC

Jessica Cox from JessicaCoxJewelry says:

Thanks for keeping us informed, it was a pleasure to read! I am thrilled to be a part of the Etsy community, and a part of something that represents hope to so many people. I see it as a seed of growth for a dying economy, not only in a monetary sense,, but also in the minds of those who must see ways to create change in a crumbling archaic system.

• jakegasaway

Jake Gasaway says:

Thank you, Chad! I can't imagine someone we would rather have represent both the technology and independent creative business community in DC. We appreciate your efforts and are proud to be working with Etsy.

• lizbriggsdesigns

Liz Briggs from lizbriggsdesigns says:

Thanks Chad, I feel inspired to turn off my computer and get back to being creative.

• rakubuttons

rakubuttons from rakubuttons says:

Thank you for your efforts in spreading the word about etsy's unique venue and it's importance in the marketplace. Meanwhile, back here in the trenches I hope that you have personally "been been working behind the scenes to make sure that the collective voice of Etsy is heard" by yourself and the other etsy admins and tech people. The site teast", questionalbe "improvements" and programming glitches seem to be mounting and "collectively" we have been actively trying to tell you all. For every one person who dares to voice a concern in the forums or message you (collectively), there are many that share the concern but do not speak up. I don't think the senate would be too impressed if they were aware of the many of the concerns of "who you work for" and the uneasiness we feel with regard to our future to be able to survive here. I seriously don't mean to rain on your parade - it was quite an accomplishment, but I do want to you to keep in mind "not all is running perfectly smoothly" and you really should be in touch with what is being discussed in the forums if you truly want to stay unique and on the top. ~Respecfully subbmmitted.

• rakubuttons

rakubuttons from rakubuttons says:

*test (not teast) arrrgh

• TheHumbleSeamstress

Helene from TheHumbleSeamstress says:

I'm still wondering why only Democrats were at this meeting? Everyone of those Senators are Democrats & that was omitted from the article too. Just curious?

• nanaandcompany

nanaandcompany from nanaandcompany says:

So sorry to hear that. This is unfortunate, Chad. Don't flatter yourself. You've just put Etsy on their radar and validated their plans to place tighter restrictions, regulations and taxes on the internet. Some here have it right. It would do us well to know as much as we can about these senators, their associations and their agendas. Unfortunately, some of the ignorant are for it. Chad, those very people you spoke to, and several others, mostly all Democrat-some progressive Republicans (and progressive is not always a good word)-are part of the problem with the economy in the United States. They create the problems, take for instance the financial collapse in the housing market (Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, etc. to name a few), passed laws that forced banks to loan to people who could not afford to buy a home. All it took was some financial instability, often created by these very politicians or their cronies (price of oil rising, etc.). These very people can't afford their house payments, and they drop like dominoes creating more chaos. Once the thing falls apart, these politicians swoop in claiming to have the solution (so we'll let them make more laws and regulations) when they were the very ones who created it in the first place and hope the willfully ignorant voter won't remember or be paying attention. We've been in this boat for years and it never gets better. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. US citizens need to stop being so gullible. These politicians have gone into office, made it a career (which was never the founding father's intent), and have come out extremely wealthy at our expense by redistributing OUR wealth and calling it social justice. Yep, Chad, you just brought Etsy squarely on their radar, and by granting them a window into the validity of our realm, have given them their perception of a mandate-permission to include all of us in their massive taxing scheme. They salivate at the mostly untouched revenue of the internet. They've had designs on it for years. They lay in wait to tax us out the wazoo to use it. They look for every excuse and seize every opportunity to justify the taking of what does not belong to them--or anyone else--to increase their power. It is our money. Government does not create anything. They leech off of the creators and are always in search of more to use for their agendas. You'll find that far too many in our government, both state and federal, are Marxist at heart and practice. Did you know, at one point in the past, FDR thought to tax people 100% of their income. When you find people in favor of giving government more power and wealth, be very suspicious of them. When government says it's here to help, RUN!

• DaffodilCorner

Eileen Flieg from DaffodilCorner says:

Thanks for sharing Chad. I'm curious, did the senators ask you any questions? If so, what sort? Was sales tax collection discussed at all?

• JBPacrat

JBPacrat from JBPacrat says:

I don't think that this was intended to spark a political debate or a variety of government conspiracy theories but to let etsy members know that our political leaders now have a better picture of how some Americans are facing these difficult times through their own creativity and ingenuity. I am sure that they were enlightened.

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork says:

Go Get them Chad!

• Untwistedsister

Terri from Untwistedsister says:

I think it's wonderful that you were able to reinforce the value of the kind of contribution that even the smallest of businesses can make to our economy and the importance of educating our often out of touch government officials. "America's greatness is based on the extraodinary possibilities of ordinary men"

• valerieoutlet

Valerie from MiscellaneabyValerie says:

I'm pleased to hear that the impact of independent small businesses is being discussed in the realms of politics. Here we are, small business people who ARE creating value. We create actual tangible goods and services that stimulate the flow of money. I like to think that with each sale I make I'm joining many others who are collectively adding to the economy. We are also changing the way our economy works and changing the face of small business. Not only are we apart of a growing wave of telecommuters, but the sellers on Etsy have helped elevate small local independent brick and mortar stores through wholesale, consignment and word of mouth. Etsians have spurred a wave of new craft and art markets, slightly changing style and format of art shows, and motivated a demand for non-mass produced goods. While not everyone is making a full time living, being able to sell on Etsy is allowing people to positively change their economic status enabling them to stay at home with families, to pay medical bills, to raise funds for charity amongst lots of other things and yes, some even are making a go at their own small independent businesses. It is VERY important for Congress and our politicians to start recognizing the growing number of small independent businesses, and also even more important to recognize how many are home-based solo operations, so when considering laws and regulations (like online taxes!) they think about the implications of their decisions. After all, each one of us can vote, so our needs and impact should be recognized.

• artwink

Paula from artwinkjewelry says:

That was an awesome opportunity Chad. I am so grateful to know that in times of such divisive bickering "we the people" actually got to have a seat at the table through you. Thanks also to the esteemed Senators from New York, Chuck Schumar, for providing you with the opportunity to illustrate the importance of what Etsy culture means in a small business context.

• abacado

abacado from Abacado says:

Wow - thank you for sharing. I live in DC and always hear stories about happenings on the Hill from someone I know who works for a senator. My sisters and I just opened shop this month, and we do appreciate Etsy's "people-centered" platform, and yes - "$0.20 + imagination" is pretty awesome. :)

• NaturalGorgeous

NaturalGorgeous from NaturalGorgeous says:

abacado from Abacado says: and yes - "$0.20 + imagination" is pretty awesome. :) ------ Except it is never "$.20 + imagination. It is the cost of investing in materials, not just for that one item but for the 100+ others you need in order to be seen here; the time it takes to make the items; the investment in shipping materials; the 'opportunity cost' of not working on something else; and so on. "$.20 + imagination" is a myth, and shouldn't be repeated. Makes selling here sound like buying a lottery ticket.

• LeeAnnetteJ

Lee Annette Johnson from FyreLakeDesigns says:

To Tina Harris @ CharmCityConjure - you commented that Republicans are going to Democrats to push for a tax on internet purchases for individual states. That is NOT what the article states. Please - read it here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303644004577525070594717752.html The first paragraph reads: Republican governors, eager for new revenue to ease budget strains, are dropping their longtime opposition to imposing sales taxes on online purchases, a significant political shift that could soon bring an end to tax-free sales on the Internet. HUGE difference than what your comment stated. By and large, Republicans oppose taxes. On another note, I'm so glad Etsy is here! It's so awesome to see the entrepreneurial spirit alive and well.

• losttreasures2u

losttreasures2u from losttreasures2u says:

sorry, but it takes a shop owner more then 20 cents and imagination to feed a family.... ask home depot and my credit card...... just sayin.... it is a cost to every shop owner to beable to be here and if we can somehow make it thrught the 900,000 other shops and get noticed after tweeking and pullin our hair out.... then we are the back bone.. we should be given some consideration for that.....

• SEOWebDesign

Mary from WingsDoveSEOGuides says:

I agree with "$.20 and imagination." Imagination includes resourcefulness in addition to the creative work. Etsy became my surprising saving resource when the economy tanked and, yes, my sales on Etsy did put food on my table for the first two years. I am doing much better now but I love knowing that what I do here on Etsy helps other Etsy sellers. And so I stay.

• Bellabisinia

Debbie Mekonnen from Bellabisinia says:

Chad, Congrats from Ethiopia. I am sure this means a lot to you ans has given you the same excitement the same way a sales from our shops brighten our day. It was because of you and your teams efforst and imagination that Etsy existed in the first place. Hats off to you in Royal Ethiopian style. Second, I would like to say that many have gained confidence and fincacial gain to support their craftsmanship, family and themselves. VIntage has never been appriciated since Etsy opened a door for us. Supplies have become much easier thanks to Etsy Suppliers rather than getting them from biggers supplier with higher demands of orders. Accessories, clothing, Soaps, candles, food items are expample of the kind of itmes one can buy directly from the maker. Most estyians have had the chance to see positive outcome.Thanks to you and your deducate team for that. As for the tax and your visiting affecting us. Hey we will fight it, you have 800,000 signature behind you and many more to come. And let's just focus on the Positive and sussusfull continuality of our etsy community and let us keep attracting more buyers and sellers from all over the word. I also like to say that I am an Ethipian AMerican tax payer and voter so just to clear to my fellow estian :) I am not commenting just to comment. The rules and regulation do appy to me aswell. it is my location that matters for now. Chad , thank you and best wishes in your future success. Long live Etsy and long live Handmade.

• TheWallaroo

Sandra from TheWallaroo says:

@Mary, thanks for mention 'resourcefulness' because that's exactly what I was thinking about when I said '$0.20 + imagination'. When I first started selling on Etsy, I took a look around my home and started taking mental notes of what I could sell in here. I have been into crafts for years, so I had unused supplies I could sell. I had things that could be put into the Vintage category as well. I had paintings I had made years prior that I could try and sell. I also had nice photos of birds, bridges, etc that I had taken during family trips. All these things were possibilities and yes, I listed one of my paintings and sold it for $200 on the same day. I opened a shop for supplies only, I created 2 listings for that shop and sold them both (they were tagua nuts if you care to know). I did the same with photography, jewelry and now prints. Shipping costs came out of the sale so no prior investment from my part. Yes, I spent time on Etsy, lots of it. But it was also time that I would most likely had wasted watching TV at home. And last but not least, this money DOES feed my family. A $5.00 profit sale lets me buy pasta (0.99), tomato paste (0.30), small pieces of chicken (2.50) and 1 cucumbers (0.60) for a nice salad. (Publix prices if you need to confirm them)

• moddyboy80

David from moddyboy80 says:

Thanks Chad! Nice to know someone is going to bat for us little guys.

• Sweetlandarts

Sweetlandarts from Sweetlandarts says:

I am thrilled about this meeting and I truly appreciate the way you represented Etsy! This is a dismal time for so many reasons. Two things lift me up...my faith, and my Etsy shop. Rather than feeling helpless, even though things are tough, I KNOW I am one of those leading the way to recovery. I love the feeling of creating, selling and knowing someone else really enjoys what I have made. AND, I try to remind my Etsy friends, even if sales are slow, to hang in there. After all, the one thing every politician keeps saying is small business is the key to the success of the economic recovery. Well, I figure I am the very basic foundation of small business and that is very empowering....Etsy gives me the chance to be part of an inspirational and important undertaking for the whole country. THANK YOU!

• takeapicturedesigns

Lynne from RiverSpring says:

As a person who was born in Washington, DC, I can certainly appreciate the empowering efforts to help all of us here at Etsy. Thank you, from Lynne

• FavreBijoux

Mimi from FavreBijoux says:

Thanks for delivering this message. I imagine that most in congress do not fully comprehend the real power of social media nor the huge potential for commerce that will only thrive with unrestricted Internet.

• MidnightGypsy

Gypsy from MidnightGypsy says:

Bravo to NanaAndCompany! It always does my heart good to run into others who see and fully understand the BIG PICTURE, and bolsters my hope that this nation isn't too far gone to right this sinking ship.

• doribischmann

Dori Bischmann from EuthymicThreads says:

Great that you advocated for this wonderful forum. It is wonderful that individual craftspersons, artists and collectors have a place to share and sell their work/collections. I am new to Etsy, but love to look at the beautiful art from around the world. It is very inspiring and a good support as I build my own business.

• RenataandJonathan
  • auntsuesoldnewlovely

auntsuesoldnewlovely from AuntSuesVintage says:

I appreciate that you had the opportunity to be a voice among some of the senators for etsy. Well done!

• GTDesigns

renee and gerardo from GTDesigns says:

ever appreciative! and i 'second' our positive impact on the economy...i love that we get to have fun doing what we do!

• brooksbarrow

brooks barrow from brooksbarrow says:

Interesting article - etsy is a great concept.

• mapletree2000

mapletree2000 from mapletree2000 says:

All I can say is that my little Etsy shop has already doubled my families income in just 2 years. We are paying our taxes, and I will be hiring employees soon so what started as a one woman show is turning into a small business. I appreciate everything Etsy has done to change my life and I can't wait to help others.

• GiniCrafts

GiniCrafts from GiniCrafts says:

It's a great article, but I have to side with those who feel the senators are just out for a big piece of pie. Do you really think these senators care about somebody trying to feed their family? Their fat, and wealthy, and the trouble with the wealthy, is they are never happy till they have all the wealth. It's not just 20 cents, it's paypal fees, transaction fees, etsy fees, material cost, and the never ending raising of shipping prices. If internet sales are up, How on earth is the Post Office NOT making money?

• RightOnUSA

RightOnUSA from RightOnUSA says:

I know you meant well, Chad, but going before Senators isn't the best way to help entrepreneurs--especially those selling on the internet. Bringing the sales figures up will just get their wheels rolling. Any time politicians hear numbers like that, and they aren't getting any piece of it......? Common sense tells you they'll start thinking of ways. I'm pretty sure Chuck "the Schmuck" Schumer tucked his napkin in his shirt and is lifting his knife and fork about now.

• julzatruegem

Julicia Watson from AnEyeforJulz says:

Fantastic.....Etsy has inspired me to pursue higher education ....I am currently a student majoring in Small business and entrepreneurship. Thanks Chad and Etsy!!! Julz

• BeSomethingNew

Jill from BeSomethingNew says:

finally had a chance to read this, very cool! I love etsy! it has been so good to me

• WintergreenDesign

Christa Cunningham from WintergreenDesign says:

Congratulations on your opportunity Chad and thanks so much for sharing your experience and spreading the word about Etsy : )

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios says:

Thanks for getting up and speaking for the little business people. I hope they listen.

• moonspiritstudios

Lisa from moonspiritstudios says:

Thanks for sharing this experience, Chad!

• VintageJewelryStore

Sharon from VintageJewelryStore says:

This was terrific! Capitalism at its best. I do kind of wish the sales tax issue would have been at least mentioned, but I understand why you would not want to introduce such an adversarial topic.

• lotussattva

Lotus Sattva says:

I am so inspired by the grassroots economy Etsy represents, and feel that there is definitely room for more political support for this essential, LOCAL sector of our national economy. If small business development funds were more available for these kinds of home-scale businesses the $500M in annual revenues would increase exponentially!

• TheLittleRagamuffin

Jenny from TheLittleRagamuffin says:

Thanks for helping to make our voices heard Chad. As a NYS resident I am happy to hear that Senator Schumer was so supportive of your comments and of Etsy in general. I hope he can take these ideas to heart, helping to enact small changes that would immensely help online retailers based in New York State.

• QueenBCollections

Bianca from QueenBCollections says:

Well done Chad; a Fantastic representation and speech. Etsy is so important around the world as per it's importance in the US. As a new member from Australia, I am extremely excited to be starting out and exploring this new way of life :)

• MomsantiquesNthings

Janine from MomsantiquesNthings says:

Fantastic!! Thank you for supporting our interests! I have been looking unsuccessfully for a part time job near my home as I have family obligations at this time, being unemployed is not easy when you have bills to pay. If not for Etsy I don't know what I would do. Etsy has given me an income that is helping me to pay for most of my bills and I'm hoping to grow my business so I don't have to worry about not having a job. So, thank you again Chad, for bringing ETSY to the attention of the State legislature, I'm sure your speech had a great impact there!

• BloomDesignStudio

Laura Higdon from BloomDesignStudio says:

GREAT!!! I hope you can use your position to push for preservation our US postal system Chad!! If we loose our US Postal system as it is today, Etsy, its sellers and customers will take a HUGE hit!!!! Please understand and move on this incredibly important issue. http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/1/as_us_postal_service_faces_default Thank you very much, Laura

• jewelsbymoon

moon from jewelsbymoon says:

Let us not forget to mention people who if not for this community would not have had the opportunity to make a living. It has opened up a endless world to people who maybe couldnt make a living outside their homes for whatever reason. I know a shop owner here, who socially had very little outside interaction and now has come out of this shell because of the confidence she built being on Etsy's. That to me was awesome. She made a living and therapeutically helped herself to come out enough to enjoy her life on the outside.

• glassbead

Laurie from glassbead says:

I love this, and love your prepared statement! Etsy is an important part of what so many of us are doing with our wee home based businesses.

• BeaconMills

Patrick from BeaconMills says:

Way to go Chad. Ditto Laura H.

• breadandroses2

breadandroses2 from breadandroses2 says:

Thanks for advocating on behalf of Etsy and all the hard working sellers that make an Etsy possible. Without legitimate sellers, their is no Etsy. I agree w/ above comments that the catchy sound-bite '20cents+imagination' myth should not be promulgated since it's absolutely false. More accurately, selling authentically handmade, quality product requires a multitude of honed talents acquired & perfected over time; specialized & frequently costly tools/equipment; education whether formal or self-taught; real money investment in supplies plus yet more time being jack of all trades photographer/photo editor, copy writer, customer service and shipping duties. Just 20cents + imagination, not even close.

• sherj87

Sherri James from MustLoveArtStudio says:

Thank you for speaking on our behalf. As sellers, many of us live, eat and breathe Etsy as a means to provide for our families as well as to express our creative giftings. I'm so thankful for Etsy and for the wonderful grace of God that has led my business into places I never thought possible.

• tinworks

Larry West from tinworks says:

What I find interesting is the picture of a detached looking Sen. Schumer and the fact that he was headed immediately to a Finance Committee meeting. Watch for new attacks (taxing authority) on internet-based business using what he and fellow Liberals learned about Etsy. Do not forget the words of Ronaldus Magnus: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."" I could be wrong, but I'm usually not when it comes to Sen. Schumer and his cronies.

• BloomDesignStudio

Laura Higdon from BloomDesignStudio says:

SAVE OUR POSTAL SYSTEM CHAD!!! If the US Postal system goes down, Etsy will take a HUGE hit!!!!! Why are you not addressing this issue here and helping people to understand what a serious potential this has on Etsy??? If our postal system becomes privatized, EVERYONE will pay much bigger shipping charges! There is a manufactured crisis here. The postal system is and always has been solvent, it is the second biggest employer in the US next to Walmart who is #1...(gross, yes I know!) Read up on these issues - they will effect us here at ETSY is an enormous way!!!!! Watch Dennis Kucinich cover this issue on Democracy Now... http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/1/as_us_postal_service_faces_default Or hear alternatives to helping raise the funds demanded by Congress to prefund postal retiree health benefits for 75 years into the future. http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/08/13 I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU CHAD ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Laura @ Bloom Design Studio

• BloomDesignStudio

Laura Higdon from BloomDesignStudio says:

HELP TO SAVE OUR POSTAL SYSTEM CHAD!!! I don't want to hear about craft parties, I want to hear about a huge issue that will effect us hear at Etsy in a major way! The potential privatization of our postal system! Which, means the end of affordable shipping as we know it! If this happens, Etsy will take a HUGE hit. If you want to know more about this issue, you can watch Dennis Kucinich speak about it on Democracy Now - http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/1/as_us_postal_service_faces_default I want to see Etsy addressing this issue. I wold LOVE to see Etsy take a step in to the political realm and really speak up about something that will hugely effect us all here at Etsy. What else could cut the progress and growth of Etsy? The privatization of our postal system and double the cost of shipping on everything!! Etsy will look pretty silly if this happens and they have never even written an article about it! Thanks for considering this incredibly important issue Chad, now is the time, and you have the power, please use it!!!

• circusfreakvintage

Circus Freak Vintage from CircusFreakVintage says:

Interesting read. I truly hope that you stay true to this community Chad. Some of the changes going on in the Etsy front page and categories do not respect the community of sellers and small business owners you spoke so highly of on Capital Hill. I love Etsy and I want to keep being a part of it and so do all vintage sellers and art sellers currently on the site. Don't phase us out!

• jennib10

Jenni B from BInYourBonnet says:

Hello, Chad! I'm a little late to the party. It's nice to meet you! Thank you for advocating for us and keeping us informed. Well done.

• CreativityHappens

Barbara from CreativityHappens says:

YEAH!!!! What a great day you had. Not just for yourself, your staff, but for the world! Many many thanks to Chad and everyone that has a part in this wonderful adventure. Teachers using Etsy as a guide to teach about running your own home business... WOW!!! Great JOB!! Barbara