Hurricane Sandy Community Aftermath

Nov 30, 2012

by Morgan Evans

No matter how you participate on Etsy — whether you are writing code, creating treasuries, or running a shop — we all value the sense of community that binds us together. While harrowing, one of the ways in which this bond truly comes to light is at times of crisis.

As I hunkered down in my Brooklyn apartment watching the windows rattle and hearing the wind roar one month ago on the evening of Monday, October 29, I scoured the Internet for reports from the front lines of Hurricane Sandy. Then this image popped up on my screen and the sight of it still haunts me. For many of us at Etsy and beyond, seeing the photo below shook  us into reality with undeniable evidence of the scope of destruction being caused by this superstorm.

Depicted above is Jane’s Carousel, a restored historic landmark that has become a charming neighborhood destination for kids and tourists. It is located on the bank of the East River in a neighborhood in Brooklyn called Dumbo, just blocks from Etsy HQ. In shock, I refreshed my email for the millionth time, searching for reports, and my heart stopped when I saw the subject line “Dumbo Submerged” appear in my company inbox. The employee email thread continued to grow with firsthand accounts of rising water, power outages and fallen trees. Quickly, the conversation turned to offers of spare bedrooms, car rides, Internet connections, and warm meals from those of us who were largely unaffected by the weather. Looking back on the devastation, this outpouring of support still warms my heart.

During the hard times immediately following the storm, Etsy Admin headed out to affected areas to volunteer. Folks were dispatched to Long Island, Red Hook, Staten Island, Coney Island and the Rockaways — some of the places hit hardest by fires and flooding. Mikel and his family volunteered with the Red Cross in the Mastic Beach area of Long Island where they did door-to-door outreach, delivering water and supplies.

Mikel King

Mikel, an engineer at Etsy, volunteering at the Red Cross in Mastic Beach, Long Island with his family.

Audrey, Katie Rose and Kim spent an afternoon at Added Value, a community farm in Red Hook, the same place where we take our compost every week. Sadly, the farm lost two beehives, their composting system, some major equipment, and all of their crops for the year. Volunteers spent the day flipping soil and getting things back in order.

Audrey, Katie Rose and Kim at Added Value, a Red Hook community farm.

A substantial portion of relief efforts are being captained by grassroots organizations like Occupy Sandy and smaller local task forces like the Rockaway Renegades, with whom our video producer Tara volunteered. Out in the Rockaways (an unprotected peninsula on the South Shore of Long Island), much of the reparation efforts are focused on clearing out basements and entire floors of houses that have been completely destroyed by floods of salt water. Volunteer groups like the Shore Soup Project captained by the Rockaway Rescue Alliance are also busy providing hot meals and other resources for all the local residents, some of whose homes are still without power or heat.

Tara Young

House in the Rockaways destroyed by ocean floods.

There was also lots of work to be done clearing felled trees and debris from parks all over the city. Many folks joined ad-hoc cleaning crews in neighborhoods throughout Brooklyn and in Harlem to clear branches and bag leaves. A bunch of Etsy employees took part in the Run for Red Hook, a 10k race through the seaside neighborhood of Brooklyn that raised over $6,000 for the Red Hook Initiative. Volunteers have also headed to community spaces like the Park Slope Armory that have been converted to shelters to house displaced citizens.

Fruits of labor shot after cleaning up St. Nicholas Park at 137 St. in Harlem

Many of the local businesses in our neighborhood in Dumbo were severely damaged by flooding. One Girl Cookies,  Aegir Boardwalks and Governor are among the ones who have started crowd-funded recovery campaigns. Etsy matched employee donations, totaling tens of thousands of dollars for local relief efforts. We are also working to maintain our company lunch program as conscientiously as possible by continuing to support local food sources and vendors, considering how hard our local restaurant network was hit by the storm. For some, this directory of emergency preparedness protocol for Etsy business owners remains a helpful resource.

In the greater Etsy community there has been a great show of support and comeraderie. Many sellers are contributing to Sandy-related charity organizations, and Etsy teams like this one are being created to rally efforts. If you are a seller looking for assistance, please refer to this collection of resources and emergency preparedness protocol for business owners. There’s still so much more work to be done, and help will be needed throughout the winter to get people back up on their feet, but we are doing what we can to pull together and give back. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who’s been contributing to the heroic relief efforts.

Sometimes it’s hard to know how to help, especially if you live far away from the site of a particular disaster. While volunteering in the field is a noble and necessary endeavor, there are many other ways to get invovled. Seizing opportunities to make a difference on both a local and global scale is something we should all be committed to.

In many ways, we are on that path, connecting with one another for the good of the world, already. By belonging to the Etsy community, you are a part of something bigger than yourself, bigger than your neighborhood, bigger, even, than your social network. Together we are reimagining commerce to be compassionate and supportive; even as Etsy grows, we refuse to be anonymous.  While it sometimes takes extreme cases such as Sandy for us to be called to action, it is imperative that we consider the health, well-being and happiness of our fellow human beings every day. To uphold the values that we embody, as re-affirmed by our B Corporation certification, we must acknowledge that we are each dependent on another and thus responsible for future generations not just in emergency situations, but in everything we do.

• GracefullyGirly

Kimberlee from GracefullyGirly said 4 years ago

I remember reading about that carousel! It's so sad when parts of history are in danger, or worse, damaged or destroyed. I was shocked and amazed by photos of the storm and worried for days for my family who lives right in the path. I was so relieved when I finally find out that they all were safe (homes, not so much, but the people and animals were all ok). I applaud my mother in law who volunteered to drive a Red Cross vehicle out to NY and help in the "trenches." It warms my heart when I hear about people coming together to help others in need.

• bellacruz

J.C. Johnson from BellaCruz said 4 years ago

It is always good to see people react with compassion and empathy to the plight of perfect strangers. Thank you for providing this insight into what Etsy was doing as a company as well as the efforts of individual employees.

• SoulRole

Nancy Campbell from SoulRole said 4 years ago

I am originally from NJ and of my family and dear friends still live in NJ, and Brooklyn and the NYC area.Thankfully no one I know was injured or worse but my sister could not return to her Hoboken home,my Dad has $16,000 worth of damage to his roof and his sailboat was crushed - but they are among the lucky ones really.My heart has been with everyone affected by this horrible storm.Living in Hawaii I know how vulnerable we all are to Mother Nature's whims.I am so thankful to all the people who are out there volunteering and giving there time and energy to those in need.I just got all choked up reading this ....we humans are so fragile in the big picture and more then ever humanity needs to awaken to the fact that we are all connected and we all need each other.Many blessings and much ALOHA to you all!xoxo

• HairFlair11

Anne from HairFlair11 said 4 years ago

I did not know anyone effected by the storm. As a Red Cross volunteer in the NW Washington area, I helped deploy local volunteers to the hardest hit areas. It is heart warming to see a community like Etsy support the recovery efforts.

• PennyFabricArt

PennyFabricArt from PennyFabricArt said 4 years ago

There are lots of ways to help Sandy victims. WNYC in New York has posted a great collection of links to sites that can help, from Secret Sandy gifts to local help organizations. I've supported several of them: http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2012/nov/15/how-help-post-sandy-thanksgiving/

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 4 years ago

Its truly heartwarming to see the efforts put forth by the Etsy staff, even when some of you have been hit hard by the storm as well. What a community we are all part of!

• SoulRole

Nancy Campbell from SoulRole said 4 years ago

One of the things that strikes me when disaster like this hits is just how dependent on the grid we are.We live off the grid here in Hawaii and are aware of every bit of electricity we use,water that flows into our home etc.The current model that most of us live in is just so unsustainable and I hope and pray that after such tragedy one of the good things that we can come away with as a society is how much we need to work on finding more sustainable ways to live.

• lobsterlu

lobsterlu from lobsterlu said 4 years ago

Thank you.

• CaliforniaSweetPeas

CaliforniaSweetPeas from CaliforniaSweetPeas said 4 years ago

Thank you for reminding me of how those back east still need help. I am committed to assist through giving to charity that will give to those in need now.

• dahliasoleil

Paulette from dahliasoleil said 4 years ago

I'm still unable to return home one month later :( Been getting a lot of help and support to keep my business running from friends and family and to keep a roof over my head. It's definitely that moment when it hits you "Is my business prepared for a natural disaster?" My answer turned out to be ..."No."Making plans to ensure that doesn't happen again.Definitely a huge lesson learned.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

It is heartbreaking and heartwarming to read this post. I know some sellers who were out of business for at least a couple of weeks. Great to read about those at Etsy being part of the relief effort.

• jwebbtx1961

Judy Webb said 4 years ago

Thanks to Etsy employees for their help with Sandy clean-up, so much to finish.

• LazyTcrochet

Tricia from LazyTcrochet said 4 years ago

I saw that same carousel picture on the news here in Ohio. It's the carousel from the former Idora Park in Youngstown. Thanks for showing us more.

• collectique

collectique from Collectique said 4 years ago

Very heartwarming to hear how Etsy staff is helping in their neighbourhoods. It's sad how many have lost their homes and my heart goes out to them.

• AgelessThings

AgelessThings from VintageAgelessThings said 4 years ago

God bless each one of you. I am sure there are many grateful for your help.

• opendoorstudio

Martha Layton Smith from opendoorstudio said 4 years ago

good works all! Thank you for bringing us this post! Etsy Goodness!

• BunnysLuck

Mary Anne from BunnysLuck said 4 years ago

Thanks for the hard work you've all done, Etsy! Keep it up! And keep us informed! Those of us beyond the Eastern Seaboard would like to stay connected to your efforts. As I said on my profile page, "... Etsy has brought us all together. Together we will help each other." Way to go, Etsy staff! You rock!

• PlayingWithFiber

Pam Daley from PlayingWithFiber said 4 years ago

It's hard to believe it's been a month already. So much remains to be done; it's encouraging to read about the grass roots efforts going on there. Thanks Etsy!

• sheetmetalfabus2012

Paul Simpson from SMFus said 4 years ago

Reading this article and many others about sandy just shows the resilience that we have as Americans. I have travelled and lived around the world, and when disaster strikes in other places the people don't respond the same way. Here despite our many cultural differences we put that all aside and respond united even though during other times we may be divided as people. Thank you to all the people who have helped after this disaster in any way!

• cecrafts

Cindy Ely from cecrafts said 4 years ago

I live at the Jersey shore across the bridge from Seaside. In all my years I have never witnessed the devastation that came with this storm. Our iconic roller coaster landed in the ocean and just now is being disassembled. Unless you can show proof you live in Seaside, you cannot even go across the bridge that was damaged during the storm. The pictures I have seen, totally looked like a bomb went off, with home and lives turned upside down. My family here in Toms River had major flooding and then a fire. The outreached hands of my fellow etsians has touched my heart forever. They could not get in touch with me since power and internet were out for almost 14 days.Once they knew I was some what ok, they set in motion events to help me and my family. The etsy community is a family that does not ask questions, they just react to the problem. They have helped myself, my family and others affected by this storm in so many ways. I will truly hold each and every one of them in my heart forever and they will be blessed 10 fold. Thank you my friends, my family. Cindy

• shainkeit

shainkeit from shainkeit said 4 years ago

I'm sure some of my things are in that garbage pile in the first pic on this article , our new garbage dump at Riis Park. My family has returned to the Rockaways, but G-D help us what have we returned to? We are thankful to all those volunteers who have and still are helping us. I just 'liked' the Rockaway Renegades on FB. Thank you to the good human souls out there! I'm praying we can rebuild this town! Our businesses all flooded or burned down and may not return.

• valeriephoto

Valerie from valeriestitchery said 4 years ago

It's great that Etsy has the resources and the network to be able to rally so much support to help in the aftermath.

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

I love reading stories like this, and how communities can get together and make a big difference... We were hit by Hurricane Alex about 2 1/2 years ago and my local community was devastated as well. The fear and uncertainty are very scary indeed, but getting involved in helping others makes you realize that anything can be overcome with work and determination.

• ThePeacockFeather

Bernadette from ThePeacockFeather said 4 years ago

if possible, would any worker that was in the Mastic Beach/Shirley area email me to tell me how that area was affected please. thanks

• EmeraldCut

Deanna from EmeraldCut said 4 years ago

Great work, and a much needed article. I have two items for sale in my shop whose proceeds go to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief--although it is a small measure in comparison to the work that is documented in this post, it's still something I can do to help contribute to the cause. Sending my best to the East Coast.

• GrowingUpWild

Kelly Engel from GrowingUpWild said 4 years ago

It is wonderful to see Etsy admin reaching out and helping. Wish I could have been there to pitch in (though a nursling keeps me tethered at home in Idaho). 5% of my November profits through Etsy were given to the American Red Cross to help with Sandy relief. I just wish it could have been more. Both my parents grew up in NYC and we still have a bunch of family there. They have been overwhelmed by the love, support and compassion shown by so many.

• amaretto

Catherine from amaretto said 4 years ago

It is so wonderful to see a community come together when in need. I am from the UK but I stayed up all night to watch about the storm. It was so sad. I hope the aftermath will not linger for long. Prayers for you all xx

• RenataandJonathan

Renata and Jonathan from RenataandJonathan said 4 years ago

Thank you for all your efforts!

• oldcottage

oldcottage from oldcottage said 4 years ago

...Thanks you to my Etsy friends who offered help and showed concern during the storm. Although we don't live at the shore, we live along a river, where the surge rushed through our entire home and property, flooding us with several feet of water. But once back on- line, I was able to check in with Etsy, to see many well-wishes. As we are still drying out and making repairs, we are blessed that it wasn't worse. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who suffered so much damage.

• seaglassgems4you

Surfside Sea Glass from SurfsideSeaGlassGems said 4 years ago

Thanks for all you've done. We're still recovering and have been overwhelmed by the kindness of all the individuals, businesses and organizations from near and far that stepped up to the plate to selflessly help strangers in need. Times like these remind me how beautiful our world is xo

• KaidahBeauty

Victoria Revan from KaiDahJewel said 4 years ago

Currently selling a Hurricane Relief bracelet. Come check it out. 15% of each sale will be donated to the Red Cross for hurricane relief.

• ABitofWhimsyArt

Joanna Haber from ABitofWhimsyArt said 4 years ago

Thank you for all of your support etsy.. I am very proud to be apart of such an amazing community. Blessings to all that have been affected & are still suffering.

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 4 years ago

We were all holding our breath for those in the path. It is heartwarming to see communities come together. Thank you for sharing.

• accessoryalamode

Deborah McGovern from deborahmcgovern said 4 years ago

A born and raised NJ girl, my heart goes out to all. Having been through 2 hurricanes with the last hurricane Irene destroying our home, I can feel what the people are going through. This time I felt so lucky that we were spared I just wanted to give back. We were able to donate $100.00 to red cross from my customers orders. I know that the road is a long one ahead for the victims. The holidays are not the same when your home is destroyed, families have lost loved ones. But jut know that there are people our there that care and are with you at this low point. And somehow things do turn around. To see the community come together like this literally warms my heart. <3 STAY STRONG!!!!

• gboliver

Gail Oliver from AttentionGetting said 4 years ago

What an inspiring article. Thanks for sharing!

• gilstrapdesigns

Debra Gilstrap from gilstrapdesigns said 4 years ago

This is such an inspiring article and it reminds us of how quickly everything can change and just how amazing people can be when a tragedy or a disaster happens.

• Stratfieldworkshop

Amie Copeland Stark from ThatRetroGirl said 4 years ago

I had a 10% of sales go to Sandy relief efforts promo over the Thanksgiving weekend. I'm sending in a check to red cross. Although my sales were not outstanding that weekend It still feels good to give back to my community. I felt so lucky that the only thing I lost in the storm was power for one week.

• BackyardBrand

Jim McLean from BackyardBrand said 4 years ago

Nice to read about everybody pitching in. I remember the days before, when everybody in the Forums was freaking out. Turns out to have been justified for the most part. Probably a foreshadowing of more strange climatic events to come.

• toriska

Tori from toriska said 4 years ago

I'm glad Etsy has been helping out. We had minimal damage in PA, but our church has been sending up volunteers to help every weekend. My husband has gone up twice. Unfortunately, it's getting too hazardous now for volunteers (bad mold) but they were able to do a lot of good. They went up with the LDS Helping Hands organization.

• BeachHouseLiving

BeachHouseLiving from BeachHouseLiving said 4 years ago

Well done Etsy for all your assistance to those in need. One of our places had no damage to speak of. Down tree limbs, fences, lost shingles, and the house sprung some leaks was it. The other flooded when the bay rolled through the streets. Our blessings are such a vast opposite to many friends. I was and remain humbled by the tenacity of spirit. A project we took on was taking thousands of ocean drenched photographs to try and save. At first you don't really look at the photos. By the second week, you have walked hand in hand with the history of a family. I am a quite a fan of old Carousels, and did get to see Jane's. Walking into the glass house and seeing the lovingly restored painted ponies in all their glory was like walking into a fairy-tale.

• susanbroemmelsiek

Susan Broemmelsiek from FlowerArtPlace said 4 years ago

My husband is a small business owner in Red Hook. There was such a feeling of shock and despair among the community, especially during the first few days after Sandy hit. Those who volunteered in that area might not even realize what a huge difference they made, but it was very real, and all those you helped are so grateful!

• AllUsedUp

Cindy Carrillo from SimpleChaosLab said 4 years ago

Thank you to the Etsy folks who stepped up to help. Those of us way the heck out west felt helpless and not able to help. Our prayers are with you and were from the time we first saw the radar pictures. I love being part of Etsy, a large group, but a caring group of people. Real people who care about each other.

• mebdesigns

Mary Benton from mebdesigns said 4 years ago

You write beautifully, and really bring out the heartache and the hope. What this world can be when we approach each other with love, and therefore step forward to help when help is needed.

• BloomysBaubles

Kim Bloomberg from KimBloombergDesigns said 4 years ago

I am a native New Yorker and the hurricane coverage has been absolutely shocking to me. It is wonderful to see Etsy helping out. What a wonderful community Etsy is!

• RocknMetalTreasures

Deborah Porretto from RocknMetalTreasures said 4 years ago

Seeing New Yorkers come together to help each other is truly touching. Angels are all around us!!!!

• TheEndoftheChrysalis

TheEndoftheChrysalis from TheEndoftheChrysalis said 4 years ago

I live on Long Island and the devastation is hard to imagine even through pictures. Many families have had their entire lives of material possessions washed away. I'm donating a portion of the sales of my shell candles to local relief efforts. The idea came during the weeks living without power. Hoping that people continue to keep those affected in mind throughout the months to come.

• ellabellamay

Ursula Goetz from ellabellamay said 4 years ago

Thank you for such an inspiring article! My heart goes out to all who lost too much in this storm. Thank you for your inspiring work!

• wowphoto

Mike M. from PendantTreasury said 4 years ago

I am usually not without words to say, yet I can find none to say now. "we all value the sense of community that binds us together" How true and caring this statement is. Please take the best care that you can of each other. Mike M.

• sewbigkeepsake

Jess Whitney from sewbigkeepsake said 4 years ago

As I have family and friends in the areas hit...This is so warming to read. Thank-you.

• rainaraina

Raina from rainaraina said 4 years ago

The response has been incredible! Here in Red Hook Brooklyn, the community has come together like never before, though we've always been very supportive of our small businesses. Neighbors sharing their internet connections, people roaming around with terrines of hot soup and coffee, volunteers helping haul out tons of "trash" (ie: the contents of our former lives) and being very understanding and kind. Lots of benefit events and general moral support visits... And those heros, the sanitation workers, tirelessly picking up the mini mountains of debris the kept reappearing every day, lining the sidewalks here. They were incredible! The rebuilding is taking a little longer than the cleanup did but it will be done!

• TheMillineryShop

Marcia Lacher from TheMillineryShop said 4 years ago

I moved to Far Rockaway the week of the storm. Some families are first getting back to their houses now after over a month. So for many, the work has just begun. I was lucky not to have flooding during the storm (I moved from just 5 minutes away, another flood zone) but the no electricity, heat or Etsy was a big hardship. But my Etsy customers are AMAZING and those people who bought hats from me during this time were so kind and understanding and willing to wait for shipping. I know that when Etsy bands together to help, it is a trait of the Etsy community in general. The volunteering and such is an extension of the gestalt of this site. That's why I sell here.

• nicolestaropoli

Nicole Staropoli said 4 years ago

I find it so inspiring to see so many communities coming together as a whole during this devastating time. It's great to see organizations, as well as indiviuals trying to contribute and help as much as they can. We are giving hope to those who have lost their homes and everything else they had. My community also got hit by the storm, but it was not as tragic as in other towns. Eventhough, we did not encounter much damage, we all helped each other whether it was by removing trees that fell down on driveways or house, searching for each others shingles, or letting people into your house if you had power to keep warm. It gives us sense that people do have the heart to take action and help if a tragedy happens like this again.

• misty919

Misty Martin from CraftyAmour said 4 years ago

such a wonderful story, and i agree 100% that the carousel photo is haunting and a huge reality check.

• CarmelasCreations

Carmela from CarmelasCreations said 4 years ago

I am so pleased with Etsy and their efforts to help with Hurricane Sandy. I live in Ocean County, NJ and the devastation to the shore lines is massive. I am doing my part to help. Since I cannot help physically (fibromyalgia) I have offered items to help the victims, thru Salvation Army and Red cross donations. I am happy to say nautical items with 100% donation have sold! It's articles like this that increase my love for Etsy. I took down my website and now sell exclusively on Etsy. God bless Etsy for the kindness and compassion and all the help to Sandy's victims. I love Etsy folks. Peace to all of you. <3

• BlacknickSculpture

Brian Blacknick from BlacknickSculpture said 4 years ago

What an inspirational blog post! I live in Long Beach NY and my basement, studio, art equipment and supplies were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. Without the help of the National Guard and volunteers with the Red Cross I honestly don't know what we would have done! We depended on the N. Guard for dispensing drinking water & mre's. And God Bless the Red Cross volunteers for delivering hot meals, cleaning supplies and always sharing a moment with us to express their compassion for our situation. It meant a great deal to us.

• 3spiritsstudio

3spiritsstudio from 3spiritsstudio said 4 years ago

Thank you for the article..it's so nice to know that we are a part of an organization (Etsy) that has a conscience (from the top)...I think this flows into all of us somehow... On a personal note... a special thank you to my NY etsymates that helped out during the storm...I'm from NY originally and my parents were stranded in Rockaway (my dad's in a wheelchair, so he couln't leave their 11th floor apartment for nearly a month)...they speak with such gratitude for people like you...who came out and knocked on doors... and helped. You are truly a blessing to me!

• GreenLinebyK

Kathryn from GreenLinebyK said 4 years ago

I'm glad to see this! Our store held a fundraiser and we had great success along with the local fundraiser we did! So glad to see that so many people are involved! Here's a little ditty about our efforts. http://style.lifegoesstrong.com/slideshow/green-fashion-benefits-hurricane-relief-slideshow-image/green-fashion-mod-shift We were so fortunate to have the help of the press! Kudos to everyone who has stepped up!

• rustydog1973

Linda and Kellie from SomeSmallChan9e said 4 years ago

I am from Australia and it was on the news. The devastation is awful...well done Etsy for your active involvement in help.

• RetroChalet

Cyn Marie from RetroChalet said 4 years ago

I live in Baltimore and knew us East Coasters were in trouble when the Governor shut the state down and told everyone to stay inside their homes. What happened to most of Maryland is nothing in comparison to NY and NJ. I considered us lucky to be wiped out of power for a week and minor flooding the in basement. However, it was more than heartwrenching watching the images of New York and New Jersey coming in via twitter and facebook-- watching the waters rise and knowing everyone was powerless over Sandy's wrath. I don't think anyone knew it would be that bad. I do hope that the clean up and restoration efforts are fruitful and businesses can recover. I am praying this is not another Katrina, where some may still be waiting for promised relief! I really feel for all those small business owners who were looking forward to their holiday sales to get them into the black and out of the red to only have this happen. Or so many people who are in this tough economy only to have lost their homes. Some who were not able to afford paying their insurance bill, their whole lives gone. It was and still is truly devastating. Sometimes Mother Nature can be so unkind. I am so glad that the community (and wonderful Etsians) help keep her in check, and I hope people realize even now these efforts won't happen overnight. THE EAST COAST STILL NEEDS YOUR HELP. Thanks for writing this Morgan. Just another reason why I love Etsy so much.

• barrylinder

Barry Linder from BarrysToys said 4 years ago

I remember when the most serious tornado hit Edmonton Alberta Canada. The day was dark, an eery dark and people were nervous, nobody being able to put their finger on what was wrong. All of a sudden the sky went black and hell entered the lives of the peoples of a city that wasn't able to comprehend was was happening. It was massive, terrifying. After the devastation the lucky ones came out in force and the good in all of us came to the surface. I watched the coverage on CNN of New York and surrounding areas from the safety and tranquillity of southern Ireland. Hoping for the best for all its citizens in Sandys way, I knew it was going to bad because of the nature of my second wife, her name was _____. I also knew the best would be forefront in the ones that were unscathed. Good on you Etsy team, wouldn't have expected any less from you.

• butterflies4socrates

Angela Holland from barefootprincessita said 4 years ago

Hey kids! This is cool! Cool happens when you demonstrate your concern with virtuous action. Love it.

• TheDulceVida

Myra Pizarro from LittleLemonadeStudio said 4 years ago

what a wonderful example of humility and what it truly means to serve others!

• wildaconnell

Wilda Connell from ArmandsMom said 4 years ago

I am thankful & honored to be a tiny part of ETSY

• RockArtiste

Rock Artiste from RockArtiste said 4 years ago

My heart goes out to the survivors of Hurricane Sandy. I have been donating portions of sales in my shop to the Red Cross but the sales have been so slow to nearly nonexistent. Most of my customer base was on the East Coast and I am sure, have been affected by the hurricane. The economy has slowed donations too. Rebuilding and regrowth of the East Coast should hopefully bring new jobs to many. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Carlottasart

Carlie DeGaetano from Carlottasart said 4 years ago

There's just not enough media coverage to keep people motivated to help. Thank you for helping spread the word on the continued need for help and support. I would like to donate a portion of my sales to help the victims of Hurricaine Sandy. Do you know how I go about connecting to a sponser. Thanks again, Carlie

• hanger1

Hang Tr from BookLoversnewtoy said 4 years ago

$2 from each sell from my shop will be donated to American Red Cross for Sandy Relief. I already made $110 for Sandy. Hope to make some more and send by the end of this weekend

• wildaconnell

Wilda Connell from ArmandsMom said 4 years ago

Hope we are watching the 12/12/12 Concert! awsome!

• JuJuBeader

Judy Adolph from JuJuBeader said 4 years ago

Just another thing I *LOVE* about Etsy. Yes, we are a community and for that reason (& so many more) ... we are bound together. "Sandy" ripped through my neighborhood in Long Island like a wild animal ... It looked like s war zone. And yet there were so many neighborhoods that were harder hit than mine. It was unimaginable. We lost power for 11 days, but thankfully, my home sustained no damage. Im grateful that my friends & family were all safe...And my heart aches for the people who lost their homes & possessions.

• juditavill

Judi Tavill Ceramics jtceramics.com from jtceramics said 4 years ago

I just thought I would jump in here.... I am a 15 minute walk to Sea Bright... My sonjust set up the RebuildRecover Team on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/teams/14770/rebuildrecover?ref=pr_teams where artists/shop owners can join to contribute as little as 10% of an item that they sell to the rebuildrecover.org cause by selling the item and then donating to their paypal account... you can message rebuildrecover on Etsy with any questions...He asked me to reach out to all of you cool people as they continue to help people affected by Hurricane Sandy and plan to help in aiding those affected by similar disasters in the future(let's hope they have nothing to do...)That said, they are a great goup of people and they have been contributing funds, items and volunteers to other organizations as well... such as Sea Bright Rising.... Things are slightly better but it is bound to be a "long strange trip" on the Jersey Shore and up through NYC... Thanks. It would be great if you would like to join! You can also check out my donation piece! https://www.etsy.com/listing/117472327/donation-piece-for-rebuildrecover This is the website: http://www.rebuildrecover.org

• RebuildRecover

Rebuild Recover from RebuildRecover said 4 years ago

I'm the captain of an Etsy team called RebuildRecover. We are an offspring of the non-profit organization RebuildRecover. We are organizing artists and galleries to help raise funds for Hurricane Sandy Relief. If you are willing to donate 10% of the profits from 1 or more items, please join the team and help out! Here is the link: http://www.etsy.com/teams/14770/rebuildrecover

• eklecticxplosion

eklecticxplosion from EXVintage said 4 years ago

Prayers and Blessings to all effected.

• danaboyko

Dana Boyko from danaboyko said 4 years ago

My heart goes out to everyone still in recovery mode but remember- we are a tough breed and will rebuild better than before. I am a transplanted east coaster who had the misfortune of experiencing the power of Sandy firsthand. My mom lived 4 houses from the beach & can not move back till Summer but she is alive and well. Let's count our blessings... You can take the girl out of New Jersey but you cant the the NJ out of the girrrrl!... and PROUD OF IT!

• sunnyhatchett

Sunny Hatchett and Kara Burton from hikariisun said 4 years ago

Thank you Etsy!!

• elaticodemalena

malena medina from Elaticodemalena said 4 years ago

My heart goes out to the survivors of Hurricane Sandy. thankful & I am honored to be part of ETSY

• pullmawu1

Pullma Wu from StyleMall said 4 years ago

Thank you for such an inspiring article!

• GoldenDragonCoven

Star Douglass from GoldenDragonCoven said 4 years ago

I like to donate to organizations that most or all goes to helping those in need not the administration of a large Corp. Check out the percentages when you can. These two I know100% used in the recovery http://www.rebuildrecover.org/donate/ HOWELL EMERGENCY FOOD PANTRY, INC. Site: 450 Adelphia Road, Farmingdale, NJ 07727 Mail: P.O. Box 580, Howell, NJ 07731 Phone: 732-938-2368

• SomewhereByTheSea

Krystyna from SomewhereByTheSea said 4 years ago

Thank you to everyone who is reaching out to those hurt by Hurricane Sandy. We lost our home and almost everything in it. My business is destroyed and it will be a long journey back to "normal". We are among the lucky ones in that we've found an apartment, but this year, there will be no Christmas. We are just lucky to be alive.

• bergio

bergio from BatCountryVintage said 4 years ago

Please!! People, I am working along side a Professor who is looking for stories about how water has impacted peoples lives. If you have experienced any natural disastor like Hurricane Sandy (or the hurricane itself) please message me! I would love to interview you and be able to hear your store. Thank you so much and my heart goes out to any one who has been impacted <3

• michellestewart929

Michelle Stewart from EgyptianMusk said 4 years ago

I can't imagine the misery and agony Hurricane Sandy has caused. But my church and bible study continues to pray for everyone who has lost and suffered.

• GueGueCreations

GueGueCreations from GueGueCreations said 4 years ago

Wow, I still get chocked up when I read about Sandy. As a native New Yorker, still living in the city, it's so hard to see how hard we were hit. Thank you Etsy for all you did and continue to do! I'm very happy to be a part of this community.

• UteMarysCreations

UteMarysCreations from UteMarysCreations said 4 years ago

It still hurts my heart seing all those pictures of the damages the flood had caused. I had lived with my family in New York State for many years and most of my family still lives there. My husband and I were so worried on how things went and so sad about what Sandy had done to this great nation with its great people. But when it comes to something bad like this storm we Americans all stand together and help each other and that is what makes our country so strong.

• ingeborgsorgent

Ingeborg Sorgent from ingeborgsorgent said 4 years ago

Thank you so much for all everyone was doing and all the help we received. It is so sad to see our area Long Beach Island NJ destroyed. We will work hard to get everything back. Thank you again to everyone far and near.

• Embodiments

Joanne from Embodiments said 4 years ago

I am a newcomer to Etsy and stumbling my way through...not comfortable with it yet...but I am comfortable talking to New Yorkers as I was born there in 1933!!! Ohhhh Sandy... and on top of that, that was my sister's name. My heart broke every day for many days and weeks and still is breaking. I spent summers in The Rockaways, Lido Beach, Brighton Beach and Asbury Park etc. I am now living in Arizona but my essence is in New York......

• delcik

Debbie Polak-Elcik from WarmStiches said 4 years ago

I am a newcomer to Esty but my little crochet buisness is all from spending 1 week with no electrcity. To keep busy I began making infinity scarves and here I am. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• lanasamsonova

Lana Samsonova from CozybyLana said 4 years ago

I live in NJ and Sandy was horrible experience for everyone in this area. It also brought us together. Thank you for this blog Morgan. It is very touching to see how people come together during tough times.

• jyann555

Jeanne Yannotti from jyann555 said 4 years ago

I live on the south shore of Long Island in one of the hard hit areas. My village is Amityville on The Great Bay. Only a small amount of homes escaped the flooding and I am one of the lucky ones. My street has a high elevation so we were spared. I cannot say that for all of my friends and family. Five of the six families we call our closest friends are now still without their homes and living with family or in hotels. My husband's brother and family as well are still homeless. Life here has changed for so many. Christmas lights were few and whole neighborhoods were dark and lifeless. Homes will be torn down and so many trees have been lost. Our beautiful seaside town is broken but will be back. We are all so grateful to those kind people who have selflessly given so much. When we are bombarded with so many instances of inhumanity, it is wonderful to see that there is still so much goodness in people.

• NovemberDania1

Dania and Magie Bellas from BellisimoAndSpecial said 4 years ago

So sad, I've been praying

• juliannaeller

Julianna Eller from Rockabybabys said 4 years ago

How refreshing this article has been for me! It's warms the heart to see such a passion for helping our fellow Americans in need. THANK. YOU!

• kayeclemens1

Kaye Clemens from GrammyAnasATTIC said 4 years ago

Our family has Mega- children's books for ALL ages that we wish to donate in some way. I'm almost sure this should be an area that could have HUGE donations! But - it's tough when you are far away and can't either come out to help or bring heavy loads due to distance X gas prices. Could a few get together out there and locate where a need(s) can be located -such as a specific library, hospital,school classrooms, homes and suggest how we might organize here in the Heartland. We live in a very small farm community but a truck or 2 in front of Walmart as a collectiion point perhaps - or someones' home, checking quality of books as well as packing in boxes?!?! Would someone take this by the tail and run w/it!? Lol Please get back to me. Thanks and God Bless!!! Kaye Clemens (GrammyAnasAttic on Etsy.

• Ladyswan

DeAnna from Ladyswan said 4 years ago

I grew up in New Jersey and was in tears when I saw pictures of some of the places I remember as a child. My heart and prayers went out to everyone living through this terrible storm. A big hand for all that helped out with food and shelter and clean up.

• themagnificentmagnet

Fredda Markovits Finell from TheMagnificentMagnet said 4 years ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to Etsy and all who have volunteered time and money to help so many people who are in need!!!!! We had severe damage to my studio and our home when two 150 year old trees fell on our house. Thankfully, we are alive, OK, insured, and our possessions and my studio supplies and equipment were not damaged. But the house and my studio took such a hard hit that it "bounced" the structure. Back wall is slanted in and crooked, windows and doors won't open, floors are all rippled, ceilings are cracked and coming down. feel so blessed that we were not hurt and have the means to rebuild. I am also very lucky that I have temporary studio space so that I was able to continue The Magnificent Magnet uninterrupted...especially because it was our busiest time of year for both our retail sales on Etsy as well as our wholesale business were we sell our regional line of magnets to the resort and tourism shops in both the southern and southwestern vacation areas as well as the ski resorts up north. We have not gotten the final decision, but it looks like either most of the house will have to be torn down and rebuilt, or they may decide to totally take it down and rebuild a new house and studio. Wishing everyone affected a full recovery. My heart and prayers go out to you all. Fredda The Magnificent Magnet http://www.themagnificentmagnet.etsy.com

• GrandGiftsGalore

April Lewin from GrandGiftsGalore said 4 years ago

This Shop will be donating 20% of all sales during the month of January to Newton's Angels.

• EmsSugarCrafts

Emily from EmsSugarCrafts said 4 years ago

It is so cool to see how a community is pulled together through horrible circumstances! Thanks to all who helped!

• MEESS

Erin S said 4 years ago

I Live in Brooklyn, but was not affected by the storm majorly thankfully. It's sad to see others affected by it though. Coney Island is not the same sadly. :c

• johannaspeizer

Johanna S from UnfadingLouise said 4 years ago

Here is a treasury inspired by an item being donated for Hurricane Sandy relief http://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTQyMDMwMzl8MjcyMzkzMTc3Mg/acadia-a-new-life?ref=af_own_favtreasury

• lilabbys

Melissa from LittleLadyLilys said 4 years ago

As a shop owner directly affected by hurricane Sandy, I would like to thank you all for your time and dedication for helping those in need! Reading this post brought me right back to that night when the water was rushing into my home in the Howard Beach section of Queens. It was terrifying! We are neither a flood zone or a madatory evacuation zone so we were all blindsided, to say the least. Thankfully, we finished our rebuild and are back in our house now. There are many who are not as fortunate as my family. They are still displaced and need all the help they can get. Thank you!! www.littleladylilys.etsy.com

• EmilyDanaOriginals

Emily Dana from EmilyDanaOriginals said 4 years ago

My family didn't evacuate the Rockaways, even despite the evacuation orders. Our single-floor home ended up with two and a half feet of water, and we've been living in cramped rooms at my grandma's since then. Work to rebuild the interior of the house is supposed to start at some point in the next week, and we should be back in June. It's really hard to be a high-schooler keeping their grades up while dealing with the loss of their normal life. My mom lost almost all the fabric she uses to make her quilts, and in the cleanup efforts over the next few weeks, my beads were accidentally thrown out. On the positive side of all of this, the responses I've seen from complete strangers are so astoundingly generous. Things could have been so much worse than they were, but there's still so far to go.

• kmtmackintire

Karen from BellaBargains said 4 years ago

Thank you... for all that you do and continue to do.

• latacreations77

P.lata singh from latacreations77 said 4 years ago

Heads off for all that team members helped out and I AM PROUD OF ETSY !

• miamigroup

Miami group said 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing a nice full topic..plz check this link http://miamirg.com

• melissasharp82

Melissa Sharp from JerseyliciousGirl said 4 years ago

wow I never saw that pic or knew of it. I'm 10 mins outside of seaside nj and I had no cable for a week and power though we started running on a generator the day after the storm hit, I never saw what happen outside of NJ till weeks later only heard by word and when I was able to see any kind of news it was for only a few mins. Thank you for all your help.

• kittyshen

kitty shen said 4 years ago

The care of the environment is very important in our daily lives, a lot of attention around the items, adequacy of environmental protection given. Read More: http://www.keyboard-world.com/

• fukurono

fukurono Ana from Fukurono said 4 years ago

Take care the earth which love a little but long time will not get too dangerous Thank you for share.

• LokiEyesArt

A. Cloutier from HandmadeByCloutier said 4 years ago

I love just west of you over in New Egypt, NJ. We were also impacted by Hurricane sandy but not anywhere close to the devastation you have all lived thru. I offer my deepest sympathies, love and prayers! We are all rooting for you at Handmade by cloutier!

• drunkmansdaughter

drunkmansdaughter from NaturallySonia said 4 years ago

It's beautiful to see people in this time and age be selfless and give to others.

• captainseasecret

captainseasecret from CaptainsSeaSecret said 4 years ago

I thank every one for the out pouring of help we received during this terrible time we have endured with superstorm Sandy. We will rebuild our beloved Jersey Shore in time...Thank you again!

• Therasia

Teresa from IberianVintage said 4 years ago

It was heartbreaking to see the devastation, even from the other side of the Atlantic... and amazing to see the way people rallied together to make a difference! There was even a team created here on Etsy to raise funds to help those affected rebuild their lives: https://www.etsy.com/teams/14770/rebuildrecover

• treasurestwisted

Cindy Queen from treasurestwisted said 4 years ago

I, too, live in an area hit by sandy ...we have friends who were greatly effected by this storm and it was so great to see everyone in our little community come together to help those in need. Fortescue,NJ is a tiny little fishing village that sits on the delaware bay....many lost their homes and belongings. It is so sad to see all the devastation left behind, there are homes falling into the bay, storage sheds out in the marsh that floated away, roads washed out that needed to be fixed..... This was a terrible storm but the out-pouring of love and help of those in the community was a wonderful thing to witness :)

• kimberlynies

Kimberly Rose from DESTROYTHEFUTURE said 4 years ago

My families home was destroyed in this storm as well as all of our belongings and childhood memories. Worst. Rockaway Beach is the most depressing place right now to visit..

• hedongyeye

ңԶ from hedongyeye said 4 years ago

I LIKE IT

• MeTimeImages

MeTimeImages from MeTimeImages said 4 years ago

Just went to "Ground Zero" for hurricane Sandy this past weekend and it was STILL devastating - I'll post some pictures soon.

• psychedeliceyes69

Psychedelic Eyes from PsychedelicEyeShack said 4 years ago

I work in Far Rockaway High School Campus in a middle school and high school. Our kids were so badly devastated that reading this brings tears to my eyes. The extent of the devastation went as far as the school being closed for repairs and I still had a multitude of 150 kids trying to get in just for heat since their homes had not electricity nor heating. They begged me to let them in. At this point, our superintendent promised to send me buses to get them to Carnasie. They never came. It took 3 days since we were able to bus these students to warmth and hot food. Most lost everything. We are still trying to recover.

• NicolasKnitKnacks

Nicola and Jessica Belton from CelticKnittingCo said 4 years ago

Such an inspiring article, thank you for sharing it.

• lilacsandlillys

susan macaluso from lilacsandlillys said 4 years ago

Ive lived on Long Island my whole life..(until recently) it so sad to see the devastation to the area and my family....The horror stories for gas and supplies was unreal...as I know in times of crisis neighbors always helped each other... I truly hope my friends and family will be better prepared for the next storm as there will ALWAYS be a next one.. Stay safe. :)