Etsy Statistics: July 2012 Weather Report

Aug 21, 2012

by sinoheterrero

With summer in full force and the open highway a promise of cool beaches or mountain escapes, July makes an opportune month for a road trip. The Etsy community was going places as well, setting records for GMS, Items Sold, and New Members!

The stats:

• $69.5 million of goods (after refunds and cancellations) were sold by our community in July, 12.3% higher than June’s $61.9 million
  • That represents 3,384,201 items sold for the month, 14.7% higher than June’s 2,951,224
  • 2,320,647 new items were listed in the month, 6.2% higher than June’s 2,184,850
  • 785,029 new members joined the Etsy community in the month, up 95,415, or 13.8%, from June
  • 1.36 billion page views were recorded on the site in July

The $69.5 million of goods sold (after refunds and cancellations) represents a 75.2% increase from July 2011’s total. At the same time, items sold were up 66.2%. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Etsy community in July!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

• sewingamity

Jennifer Schildt from sewingamity said 5 years ago

Yep. I had a great July!

• seabelly

j. kelso from seabelly said 5 years ago

Hopefully this trend will continue :)

• BuzzPlanet

Brandi from PuurBody said 5 years ago

Woohoo! July was a record month for me, keep it up, etsians!

• cindylouwho2

Cindy from cindylouwho2 said 5 years ago

wow, that's just a few $100,000 off of last December! great work!

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 5 years ago

Fantastic July for me as well! Here's to a record breaking August!

• sghovel

Susan from SGHovel said 5 years ago

Glad to be part of the July results.

• customhemptreasures

Rachel S. from customhemptreasures said 5 years ago

ya july was a record setting month for me :) GO ETSY SELLERS!

• NaturalGorgeous

NaturalGorgeous from NaturalGorgeous said 5 years ago

When will we get information about how the revamped Weddings category has performed? How do Etsy's increases compare to the performance of the sector overall? Is Etsy keeping pace, exceeding the average, or below average? How does Etsy's performance compare to its closest competitors? Its hard to judge numbers when they are given in a near- vacuum.

• BuzzPlanet

Brandi from PuurBody said 5 years ago

I just checked last July, and wow! This July was up over June by more than last July! Comparing YOY is always eye-opening and encouraging to me! http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2011/etsy-statistics-july-2011-weather-report/

• Stephaniemakesall

Steph from OneStitchDesigns said 5 years ago

wow! I had an increase from last year, but only because of one large order

• collectique

collectique from Collectique said 5 years ago

Fantastic!!!

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 5 years ago

Interesting! I'll be very interested in seeing how the changes to the FP categories affect overall sales in August. And since its been 1 full year since the relevancy search went into effect on Etsy in August, the stats should be very interesting.

• Jalycme

Jme from Jalycme said 5 years ago

July was a great month for me. Thanks for the stats!

• florasvintagecloset

Madi from 15MadisonStreet said 5 years ago

July was a great month for me as well....

• LaECLECTICa

LaECLECTICa from Laeclectica said 5 years ago

I am really looking forward to the new format for the future weather reports. I am hoping they will provide more breakdowns of the data based on categories.

• HandcraftedorVintage

Nelleke from HandcraftedorVintage said 5 years ago

July was good to me too.

• LaECLECTICa

LaECLECTICa from Laeclectica said 5 years ago

I would also love to know what percentage of the page views were by shop owners versus visitors with buyer accounts only.

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 5 years ago

Those figures look pretty healthy, thanks for the Stats. I'd love to see a category breakdown too, that would be very helpful.

• goingplaces2

Ginger Oliphant from GoingPlaces2 said 5 years ago

July was good, but not as good as last year for me. I love that fact that there are now more than 785,000 new members. Welcome:)

• BrooklynLoveDesigns

Megan C from AlaskaBagCompany said 5 years ago

yay! good to hear these stats!

• apaperaffaire

Holly Havnaer from apaperaffaire said 5 years ago

Wow! That's amazing! July sucked for me and August is even worse!!

• UmlautGraphics

UmlautGraphics from UmlautGraphics said 5 years ago

785,029 new members joined the Etsy community... Id like to know how many were buyers and how many were new shops.

• RubyBeets

Ruby from MissBeets said 5 years ago

A rising tide lifts all boats!

• dahliasoleil

Paulette from dahliasoleil said 5 years ago

So the average sale in July was $20?So does that mean most buyers are buying items priced $20 and under?That seems to be the trend in my shop.My lower priced items tend to sell better than my higher priced items.

• erinsinspirations

Erin J from erinsinspirations said 5 years ago

A 75.2% increase in goods sold compared to last July 2011 ~ that is exciting and promising!

• RainbowOrigami

RainbowOrigami from RainbowOrigami said 5 years ago

I agree with UmlautGraphics. It would be great to know how many where new shops vs. buyers!

• vickshirley

Shirley Vick and Mary Gary from byRickMarsh said 5 years ago

Wow! The increase from last year is incredible! I have to say that I wish more of those sales would come my way, but we are working on it. Shirley V.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 5 years ago

great news! thanks!

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry said 5 years ago

And nice that the $$ continue to go up more than sales meaning ea. sale amount is going up. Have to say though, I'm surprised since I had a much better June than July. One just never knows....

• SoapForYourSoul

Emily from SoapForYourSoul said 5 years ago

We had a fantastic July, and are on our way top our Holiday months' sales now in August! Keep up the good work!

• dayslonggone

Gwynne Collins from DaysLongGone said 5 years ago

I would love to know how many of the new members were buyer and how many were sellers. Give us a breakdown in more depth.. by handmade, supplies, and vintage.

• riricreations

riricreations from riricreations said 5 years ago

We had a great July~ can't wait for the holidays!!!

• anjimuschi

Anji Marth Resonanteye from resonanteyes said 5 years ago

More in-depth stats! This month marks my first year at etsy now, so I can finally start comparing year-to-year

• OldLikeUs

OldLikeUs from OldLikeUs said 5 years ago

The stats are great, but would be even greater if broken down further!

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading said 5 years ago

July was so awesome I was able to take the whole month of August off !!!

• LittleLovesDesigns

LittleLovesDesigns from LittleLovesDesigns said 5 years ago

July was my best month on Etsy! Good to see the large growth in sales over last July!

• Paperbagllc

Paper Bag from Paperbagllc said 5 years ago

That is great news,i am looking forward to the August report

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 5 years ago

July was good in my shop and August has been awesome so far. More of a breakdown would be helpful.

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 5 years ago

So glad to be a small part of these awesome numbers!

• anjimuschi

Anji Marth Resonanteye from resonanteyes said 5 years ago

Wait, so every seller earned an average of $100? That being the average, of course. How many of the new members are shops, and how many buyer-only?

• subversivedomestics

Nikki from ShopOrangeBlossoms said 5 years ago

I hope to join in the prosperity soon!

• aGhoulsNightOut

Lisa Lange from LangeDollCouture said 5 years ago

Wow! My July was great, Thanks Etsy!

• gardenmis

Priscilla from Gardenmis said 5 years ago

July was absolutely wonderful! Excited for the holidays! :)

• GrandmaDede

GrandmaDede from GrandmaDede said 5 years ago

July was a record breaker month for me too! Thank you Etsy, Etsy buyers and everyone who visited and fav'd!

• PeriniDesigns

Vanessa Perini from PeriniDesigns said 5 years ago

Fabulous! Congratulations to all!

• urbangirlscoutart

Jen Johnson from urbangirlscoutart said 5 years ago

Good job everyone!

• michaelhutton2

Michael Hutton from LettersofWood said 5 years ago

July was fantastic for us! Especially since we just started this shop in June! Thanks for the info.

• andrewkonkle

Andrew Konkle from Theteepeeguy said 5 years ago

Opened in July so I'm happy to say it was positive. I really hope that August will finish strong for everyone.

• sadiedesignsca

Sarah from CAMPandQUARRY said 5 years ago

I also had a great July. Can't believe all of those new members!

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 5 years ago

July was great! Go Etsy! So glad to be part of it :)

• picklevalentine

Libby Stone from PickleValentine said 5 years ago

July was great. But the test on vintage in August killed my shop for the month.

• RockabillyBeulah

Wendy McMurray from RockabillyBeulahs said 5 years ago

July was a good month for me because I started here then. Thanks, Etsy!

• HanaMauiCreations

Fawn and Alohi from HanaMauiCreations said 5 years ago

July was a great month for us!

• handknitted4you

Rowena Elliott from handknitted4you said 5 years ago

July was record setting for me too!

• CoreandMantle

Alayna from CoreandMantle said 5 years ago

Opened my shop officially March 2011, but didn't really spend much time (or have the time to spend) building it until several weeks ago when I got laid off...I'm still in the 'well, here goes nuthin' phase...wish me luck! Thanks etsy. ;)

• ArtDecoDame

Desiree from ArtDecoDame said 5 years ago

Awesome!

• AKingsThings

Pamela King from AKingsThings said 5 years ago

Glad to see good stats, but I didn't notice any Vintage Shops sharing in the glory. Wish there was a breakdown of vintage vs handmade vs supplies. Need help comparing within these separate categories please! What percentage of seller/ venders are Vintage/Handmade/Supplies???

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 5 years ago

July 2012 was my highest revenue month ever on Etsy... August is dead though. Hope numbers continue to rise going into the Holiday season!

• TheMillineryShop

Marcia Lacher from TheMillineryShop said 5 years ago

Yup, pretty good July but August was even better.

• Corcra

Alma from Corcra said 5 years ago

As always its good to see the big picture.

• FavreBijoux

Mimi from FavreBijoux said 5 years ago

Good news-- it felt quite slow in July. Is a customer who uses direct checkout, who does not actually 'join' considered a new member?

• ZorroPlateado

Carole from ZorroPlateado said 5 years ago

Good news ...hope the sales continue getting better!

• BeaconMills

Patrick from BeaconMills said 5 years ago

It's amazing, truly amazing.

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 5 years ago

Great to hear the community is doing well. I'm hoping August will be a better month.

• neleh88

helen from NewportRoad said 5 years ago

I'm a Vintage seller, and July was down for me. I believe this was largely due to Etsy's experiments with the Front Page and Searching.

• TheSewingGin

TheSewingGin from TheSewingGin said 5 years ago

Glad to see the numbers increasing.

• EmbieOnline

Meg and Matt from EmbieOnline said 5 years ago

July was a great month for us as well! Congrats fellow shops :)

• mysticknotwork

Matt and Jill Beaudoin from MysticKnotwork said 5 years ago

July was my best month on Etsy, the sales here just keep growing, glad the trend is site wide.

• elisethomas

elise from elisethomas said 5 years ago

Those membership numbers are just about mind boggling! Look forward to holiday shopping :-)

• chicnuniquegifts

Elisabeth Schmidt from TheSchmidtStudio said 5 years ago

Those numbers are quite impressive. I am looking forward to the numbers keep on growing!

• CelesteCraft

Celeste from CelesteCraft said 5 years ago

I appreciate the weather reports, but I miss the Merchandizing Desk reports too-- I hope to see those again soon!

• moonlightdesigns2

Alona from MoonlightDesigns2 said 5 years ago

Good for Etsy overall but my sales in June and now August far surpassed July. guess it depends on what you sell! Would be nice to see a breakdown by category.

• SilverSmack

Jean from SilverSmack said 5 years ago

Wow, a 75.2% increase in revenue from July of last year!!! That's impressive! Congrats, Etsy!

• SupplyingYou

SupplyingYou from SupplyingYou said 5 years ago

Well done!!! awesome news. Hopefully some sunny days ahead for me :)

• craftyblooms

Erica Maree Black from EricaMaree said 5 years ago

Yeseri..July was great but August is smokin' cant wait for August reports!

• Design4u

Tammy Sprinkle from Design4u said 5 years ago

Excellent report! Thanks for the stats. It makes selling on etsy more fun when you see how well it is doing. It also says a lot about the operations and advertising. Etsy is becoming more and more well known. I'm lovin' it!

• franciesca

Francesca from Underbed said 5 years ago

WoW! I hope this positive trend reaches me!!

• WhateversHandmades

Janet from WhateversHandmades said 5 years ago

I thought summer would be slow. July was great for this new seller. Thanks Etsy!

• vandycakes
  • ccvalenzo

Cynthia from ccvalenzo said 5 years ago

July was down considerably from last year for me. For quite a while in July I couldn't even be found and I don't know why. August had a good spurt for a few days but overall aside from that was down over last years sales too.

• NadinArtGlass

Nadin Sandler from NadinArtGlass said 5 years ago

great statistic Nadin

• sunrisetreasures

Soleil from sunrisetreasures said 5 years ago

July & Aug a little ho~hum for me but lookin forward to Sept!

• encantodesign

Nayda Jacobo from EncantoDesign said 5 years ago

Whoo hoo!!! win win win!!

• sassyfrass123

Kara from 33PaperLane said 5 years ago

July was awesome for me! Thanks And Congratulations

• andrewkonkle

Andrew Konkle from Theteepeeguy said 5 years ago

July was Great as a new seller, August good start slow finish. Still hopeful.

• ArtByThePond

Hope Kunst Rice from ArtByThePond said 5 years ago

My July was good, but August has been the best ever so far!!!

• pinkprairieprimrose1

Kasey from BirdyBows said 5 years ago

I had a good July, but August has been amazing, but maybe thats because I'm having a sell, either way it's been very good.

• LeesBeesNJ

Leeann Coleman from LeesBeesNJ said 5 years ago

Way to go, fellow Etsians! Pat yourselves on the back. Cheers for a great July, and here's to an even better August! Bee Happy!

• cosmichippodesigns

Glenda Ganis from cosmichippodesigns said 5 years ago

June was a much better month for me than July.

• Jularee

Rita Riebel Mitchell from Jularee said 5 years ago

I hope to be part of future increases. Good work everyone!

• sienaslew

mary stopper from sienaslew said 5 years ago

July was a great success..was expecting mediocre sales, boy was I wrong, hugh month for me! Love you,Etsy!

• TheGrayHavens

Anna and Kenneth Gray from TheGrayHavens said 5 years ago

So, the average cost of an item sold during the period was $20,5. Interesting... So, if I am a very successful seller and sell, let's say, 3,000 items a year, I'd make $61,500 - before taxes, fees, and supplies cost. As supplies usually are at least 30% of the cost, taxes and fees are another 25% approximately, then that leaves me with $27,675. It takes at least $40,000 a year to simply pay the bills where I live. So, I guess, not a viable business model. Sad...

• tammybetson

Tammy Betson from TandMArtsandCrafts said 5 years ago

I am working hard on my long ignored (But not any more!) Etsy shop, so hopefully I too will be able to reep some of the rewards soon!

• barbarashea1

Barbara Shea from TurtleCoveDesigns said 5 years ago

Just opened my shop in July. I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who have had recent success with sales. It can be overwhelming trying to figure out what makes a shop successful...in this economy, with so many jewelry shops, etc. Congrats to those of you with such great sales! And thanks in advance for your advice.

• myqueenwearsblue

Terry Cordova from MyQueenWearsBlue said 5 years ago

Staying positive Barbara, and continue trying to better ourselves and our shops in every conceivable way, having a positive attitude and envisioning sales! most of all appreciating every customer that comes into our shop--that's a start.....the rest will follow. Good luck to you, and congratulations to Etsy--I love buying and selling here.

• Gemstonesonmymind

Wanda from GemstonesOnMyMind said 5 years ago

It amazes me the numbers that Etsy cranks out, even being a tiny little part of that is exciting. My own shop numbers are not what others might call astounding, but every sale I get makes me feel great. I have been working on my shop, and my numbers are becoming more reliable. Right now I am recuperating from surgery, and I can't wait to get back in the swing of things.

• sepireshmaat

Tina Harris from CharmCityConjure said 5 years ago

July wasn't slow for me either. As a new seller I am very pleased and look forward to things rolling right along this fall as I continue to add new items.

• Julieglassmanjewelry

Julie Glassman from GlassEnamelbyJulie said 5 years ago

I had a good July and August! June was not bad either. Thank you Etsy!!

• leeannasjewerybox

Leeanna from LeeannasJewelryBox said 5 years ago

Those are impressive statistics I'm glad to be working with such a strong online community.

• leeannasjewerybox

Leeanna from LeeannasJewelryBox said 5 years ago

Those are impressive statistics. I'm glad to be working with such a strong on-line community.

• Mclovebuddy

Mr. Sal Phan, Bichon Frise from Mclovebuddy said 5 years ago

your image was the first one that clicked. it was the sunshine one and here it is, again. the lightness and dark schtick is getting old. those who do the pointing are usually the one who's it.

• MillieFern

Adie Williams from MillieFern said 5 years ago

July was my 2nd biggest month, but now August has beat it by several sales. I've NEVER had busy july/august months! Usually for me it's Easter and Christmas season....now I'm both nervous and excited about the upcoming holiday season....gotta get busy! ;)

• petitpoeme

petit poème from petitpoeme said 5 years ago

I would really like to have the breakdown of those numbers! especially how much was handmade, supplies or vintage. thank you!

• KinkyCorkey

Briana Taylor from KinkyCorkery said 5 years ago

I am a new member but obsessed with this site already!

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 5 years ago

that's just m i n d b l o w i n g....let's keep it up Up UP! :)

• vintagedame

vintagedame from vintagedame said 5 years ago

I had a great July but August has been dismal..... hope things pick up in September!

• thumble

thumble from thumble said 5 years ago

Weird because last July I made 4 times what I made this July...

• RCONNORIII

Robert Connor said 5 years ago

Those are some real impressive numbers! Have a great day on purpose!

• LiveLaughSew

Danielle Nelson from LiveLaughSew said 5 years ago

Wow thats amazing! Now i just wish my shop could have some of those sales. Oh well keep plugging away. I am still encouraged by etsy and will keep on learning how to grow my shop.

• MickeyandGrace

Dana from MickeyandGrace said 5 years ago

July was really nice for me...so glad to see the trend was Esty-wide! Let's keep it going!!

• vintageDanish

Laurette from VintageDanish said 5 years ago

Only open my shop in August, but the stats sound really good if sales are up 75% from July last year!!.

• SenoritaJoya

Dorottya from SenoritaJoya said 5 years ago

Sounds great! :) Go Etsy, go! :)))

• gallery28

Jan Schmuckal from gallery28 said 5 years ago

Not gonna be hearing "gee it was great" from any fine artists..... due to the fact the category is buried....

• FashionTouch

Elena Polko from FashionTouch said 5 years ago

Great July. Wondering when the August stats will be out?

• planetutopia

Jay Kaye from planetutopia said 5 years ago

I'm so impressed with Etsy, I was working alone just with my website, but since I started setting up shop, I already I feel motivation and part of a great community, Fantastic, keep up the good work Etsy.