Etsy Hands-On: Drawing

Feb 24, 2012

by Claire Comfort

One morning I ran into a human rainbow: yes, one hundred people dressed in shades of ROY G. BIV. As they paraded past, I continued on my way to work. No big deal, just another day in New York.

We spend seven days a week observing and navigating our unique surroundings. Have you ever tried to capture these moments on paper? Hands-On: Drawing is the perfect opportunity to discover (or rediscover) drawing techniques. This month we are collaborating with two groups: the Art House Co-op and Veronica Lawlor, along with other members of Studio 1482. Partipants will be able to take part in both projects whether they are in the first or second session.

Sketchbook Project Participants. Left: Amy Liebenberg, Right: Susan Brady.

Inspired by maps and travelogues, the Art House Co-op will lead a lesson in making a representational or abstracted mixed media map. Be sure to learn more about their Sketchbook Project, which enables artists to create and share their work with people all over the world.

Veronica Lawlor

Veronica Lawlor and members of Studio 1482 will lead a lesson in observational drawing with a costumed model. Lawlor’s teaching technique is highlighted in her new book, One Drawing a Day, which encourages playful problem solving and experimentation.

Some of you may already know that Etsy has an amazing Support Team available online to help with questions you have about Etsy. Now you have the opportunity to come live chat with Etsy supporters!  They will be available throughout the night to answer questions in person.

Michelle and Kim at Hands-On: Valentines

Take a photo in our Magnolia Photo Booth and join our raffle for the chance to win special illustration prizes.

Can’t wait to start drawing? Need inspiration? Take a look at this video about artist Sophie Blackall, who interprets and illustrates Craigslist Missed Connections posts. Her work is currently part of Arts for Transit and is on view in a New York subway near you!

Details:
Where: Etsy Labs 55 Washington St Suite 712, Brooklyn, NY 11215 (Between Front and Water)
When: Thursday, March 8, 2012
First Session: 5:15 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
(Demo for first session begins at 5:15 p.m., so please come at 5:00 p.m. to sign in!)
Second Session: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
(Demo for second session begins at 7:00 p.m., so please come at 6:45 p.m. to sign in!)
Cost: Free
RSVP at Etsy Hands-On: Drawing.

Can’t make it in person? Join us for a Livestream demo from the artists starting at 4 p.m. ET.

Looking for further inspiration?

More Events Online Labs How-Tuesday Posts

Chrysler and Empire State Buildings
Chrysler and Empire State Buildings
$35.00 USD
Lake Tahoe Basin Letterpress Printed Map
Lake Tahoe Basin Letterpress Printed Map
$49.00 USD

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie said 5 years ago

Sounds fun!!!

• HandmadeIsAllAround

HandmadeIsAllAround from iammieOWLshop said 5 years ago

I wish I lived around Brooklyn.

• volkerwandering

Jess from volkerwandering said 5 years ago

I like the one drawing a day idea...

• PaisleyPeaFabrics

Callie from PaisleyPeaFabrics said 5 years ago

Wish I weren't so far away!

• steampunkjunksupply

Brenda from steampunkjunksupply said 5 years ago

I will be there for the live stream. Can't Wait!

• steampunkjunk

steampunkjunk from steampunkjunk said 5 years ago

I love the sketchbook project what a great idea!

• shimmerwing

Laura from shimmerwing said 5 years ago

Fun! I've been trying to make it a habit to always carry my sketchbook places and draw more. Need to work on that and this is some encouragement to do so! Never know when you'll be hit with inspiration.

• TheIDconnection

TheIDConnection from TheIDconnection said 5 years ago

Sounds like a good time!

• DeborahJoyDesigns

Deborah from DeborahJoyDesigns said 5 years ago

I also wish I lived near Brooklyn, these night always sound so fun!

• rebourne

Marni from rebourne said 5 years ago

This is cool. I recently learned that a local bar has an open figure model drawing class once a week for a small model fee. Awesome! Beers and drawing!

• muilolaboratorija

Kristina from SoapLab said 5 years ago

Great ideas!

• lauraprill

Laura Prill from lauraprill said 5 years ago

wish I could be there... would love a follow up post to this demo:)

• ElyciaCamille

Elycia Camille Ceci from ElyciaCamille said 5 years ago

A human rainbow! I've never lived in a large city where you can see things like that while on the way to work. My motivation for my art goes along those lines. I strive to make people pay close attention to the details of my pieces. Like decorating the bottoms of mugs. Some people get so busy they wouldn't even see a human rainbow if it was right in front of them.

• goodbeads

goodbeads from goodbeads said 5 years ago

Very nice...

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat from mazedasastoat said 5 years ago

3000 miles might be a bit far to travel to speak face to face with Etsy support folks, I think I'll continue trying (& mostly failing) to get any joy out of them via email!

• KMalinka

Natalia from KMalinkaVintage said 5 years ago

Awesome idea!

• eversolovely

Ever So Lovely from EverSoLovely said 5 years ago

This sounds like a great time...just wish I lived closer :)

• SusiesBoutiqueTLC

SusiesBoutiqueTLC from SusiesBoutiqueTLC said 5 years ago

Great article. Nice art work. Have fun.

• TresChicNmodern

TresChicNmodern from TresChicNmodern said 5 years ago

AWESOME STUFFF!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!! WAY TO GO!!!

• mikiheather

Heather Butler from MikiandHeather said 5 years ago

I love my sketchbook!

• audreytolove

Kristian Jessie Jessie from KristianJessie said 5 years ago

Great idea!

• uniquefabricgifts

Unique Fabric Gifts from uniquefabricgifts said 5 years ago

I am sure will be a lot of fun! Wish I could go!

• andichrisman

Andi Chrisman from acpaintedpages said 5 years ago

I wish I lived near there, I'd love to participate! Have a good time!

• KettleConfections

KettleConfections from KettleConfections said 5 years ago

I haven't drawn in a long long time, really hope to make it to get my sketching skills all jazzed up again

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading said 5 years ago

Oh this looks fun. Not sure if I can make it. Will catch one this summer for sure!

• ZenBrush

ZenBrush from ZenBrush said 5 years ago

I hope i can make it.

• dottywalker

Dotty Walker from SewThoughtfulBlanket said 5 years ago

So many talented people!

• silverlily786

Fatema from SilverLilyJewelry said 5 years ago

I have recently been contemplating drawing again but at the moment with my 9 month old bundle of joy (and everything that goes with a baby) I will continue chewing on it ! but this is inspiring maybe I can check it out online!

• sarahmryan

Sarah Ryan from SarahDrawsThings said 5 years ago

This sounds fantastic. I love Art House Co-op; I participated in the 2012 Sketchbook Project, and it was one of the best art experiences I've had!

• QuirkMuseum

Michael Quirk from QuirkMuseum said 5 years ago

This sounds great. Hoping I'll be able to make it down there to check it out.

• Steampunkitis

Susan Jane from Steampunkitis said 5 years ago

So cool, wish it was happening in Fl. so I could attend.

• 2bloomsdesignstudio

Michelle from twobloomsds said 5 years ago

What an inspirational post, maybe I'll have to pull out a sketchbook and get creative.

• ezliving

ezliving from ezliving said 5 years ago

Interesting!!!

• chinmayo

chinmayo from chinmayo said 5 years ago

This is so cool !! I'm inspired .

• BanglewoodSupplies

BanglewoodSupplies from BanglewoodSupplies said 5 years ago

Very inspiring!

• sunshineair

中田 英寿 said 5 years ago

スーパーコピー,スーパーコピー時計,スーパーコピー専門店,ブランドコピー時計, ブランドコピー時計,ロレックス,パネライ,ウブロシャネル,ブライトリング,IWC, フランクミュラー,カルティエ,オーデマピゲ,ヴァシュロンコンスタンタン等,そ の他の世界一流スーパーコピーを取り扱っています http://www.yahoo-watch.com ようこそ購入するる email:yahoowatch163@gmail.com ようこそショッピング、非常に感謝して!

• sunshineair

中田 英寿 said 5 years ago

スーパーコピー,スーパーコピー時計,スーパーコピー専門店,ブランドコピー時計, ブランドコピー時計,ロレックス,パネライ,ウブロシャネル,ブライトリング,IWC, フランクミュラー,カルティエ,オーデマピゲ,ヴァシュロンコンスタンタン等,そ の他の世界一流スーパーコピーを 取り扱っています http://www.yahoo-watch.com ようこそ購入するる email:yahoowatch163@gmail.com ようこそショッピング、非常に感謝して!

• DiscordVintage

Discord Vintage from DiscordVintage said 5 years ago

Burgundy crayons! *wants

• rorymosman

Rory Mosman from FeatherKeeper said 5 years ago

I love watching and receiving the crayon drawings my kids produce! I try to be as free as they are in their coloring but I always want it to be so perfect. I may have to check this out so I can get my ideas out of my head and onto the paper! Everyone loves crayons!

• AcmeFun

Patricia Arnold said 5 years ago

This is a private party. It is ticketed and the door is strictly guarded. The tickets are released to the visiting group’s friends and members first which is why so few spots are left for the local community. Feel free to make an attempt where ever you are, you can always change your reservation if you actually get a ticket. Craft nights were open to all, it was a beautiful thing. Eviction of Etsy’s craft night community was unnecessarily cruel. We were given no time or warning, no time to say good-by, no time to gather each others contact information. A month long hiatus, then the announcement that there will be no more craft nights, craft night was being replaced with a once a month bigger better Double Plus Good craft event. Events that are difficult if not impossible to gain access to. Etsy has betrayed its own community which loved and supported it from the beginning. Etsy is reaching, and it is attempting to become what it pretends to oppose, a larger heartless and ugly corporation.

• Blairgbob

www.BlairBarbour.com from BlairBarbour said 5 years ago

amazing!

• OlivesandDoves

Cheryl Bousquet from OlivesandDoves said 5 years ago

I've marked the day on my Calender and will watch you on livestream from my studio in CA. Great idea!!

• muddyum

muddyum from muddyum said 5 years ago

I wish it wasn't sold out!!!

• vanessaeight

vanessa from midcenturydesignhome said 5 years ago

This may actually get me drawing again, very inspiring, thank you