Effective Team Management With BrisStyle

Aug 15, 2012

by AngelaDotDalton

Belinda Harris of BrisStyle at Etsy Success Sydney, June 2012

After starting as an Etsy street team in March 2008, BrisStyle has become an incorporated not-for-profit organisation for artisans and crafters based in Brisbane, Australia. Its members host regular markets and ongoing creative development sessions in their community, making  BrisStyle a valuable resource for tips on running  a successful team.

Having presented at Etsy Success Sydney recently on this very topic, I caught up with Belinda Harris, secretary and committee member of BrisStyle, to find out more.

What is your BrisStyle story?
I met one of the founding members, Ali, at a little church market where I was a stall holder, so I went along to the coffee/catch-up meeting that the original group of BrisStyle members had. It all snowballed from there. We needed volunteers, and I started off helping out with general administration and memberships. When we became incorporated in 2010, I became the association secretary. Now I manage the overall administration and bookkeeping of all of the BrisStyle operations, as well as still being on the management board as the secretary.

What made you open the team up to people other than just Etsy sellers?
We found there were lots of crafty people in Brisbane who just weren’t ready to take the next step and begin selling online, and we wanted to be able to give them support. There were also quite a few people who loved to craft and connect with likeminded creative people who hadn’t even thought about selling their items or just weren’t in a position at the moment to make things to sell.

How has being a part of Etsy worked towards the overall success of BrisStyle?
Being an Etsy street team gave us a great foundation. A lot of our values mirrored those of Etsy. As we have grown, having a strong connection to Etsy and being one of Australia’s largest and most active teams gives people access to a greater global community.

Sam, Rebecca and Belinda from BrisStyle at an Etsy Meet and Greet in July 2012

What are the three key things you feel work towards a successful Etsy team?
1. Communication. Staying in touch with your members is key. In order to feel like part of the team, they need to be informed of what is happening behind the scenes. Staying in touch with Etsy is really important, too. The only way you can be supported is to let them know what you have going on.

2. Set Goals. Think about what you want to achieve now, in six months’ time, in twelve months’, and beyond. You can only do what you can do with the help and resources you have, but keep in a mind a clear direction of where you’re headed.

3. Connect With Your Community. BrisStyle has had some amazing opportunities through connecting with our local community, including the Brisbane City Council. Whether it be a member catch-up at your local sewing store or a collective stall at a community market, never underestimate the power of getting out in your community and spreading the news of your group.

How has incorporation affected the team?
For us, given that we were growing so rapidly (and still are) and the fact that we charged an annual membership fee, incorporation was the best fit. It has strengthened our group and has helped give us some structure and guidelines.

Incorporation also provided us with:

•  Not-for-profit status
  •  Legal status (meaning we could open a bank account, take out public liability insurance, enter into contracts, etc. under the BrisStyle name)
  •  Legal protection for our committee members
  •  Increased opportunities for funding
  •  Transparency for our members (accountability through audits and annual reports)

Learn more from Belinda about effective Etsy team management by watching this video presentation from Etsy Success Sydney!

Have some team tips of your own? Share in the comments!

Stay in the loop with what teams are up to by signing up for the Etsy Success newsletter.

Read more Featured Teams

1 Featured Comment

• neonmorgan Admin

Morgan Evans from neonmorgan said 4 years ago Featured

Get involved with a team near you by visiting http://etsy.com/teams and searching by location or keyword to find a perfect fit! You can also always start a new one of your own by clicking the "Create a Team" button. Don't forget to share your experience on Twitter by using #EtsyTeam in your posts.

• minouette

Ele from minouette said 4 years ago

That's very interesting - a new idea for how a large local team could develop.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

cool concept. I like it!

• felicesereno

Felice Sereno from FeliceSereno said 4 years ago

great idea!!

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 4 years ago

Sounds like a great way to manage and operate a large team. Well done.

• wheatleypaperworks

M Wheatley from wheatleypaperworks said 4 years ago

It really can start with just one person; one team. Inspiring to say the least. All the best guys.

• buffalogirls

Ludmilla from buffalogirls said 4 years ago

Great concept. Nice.

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Sounds like a great group! I wish you all the best in your future successes.

• traveller240

Stacey Graves from traveller240 said 4 years ago

Wow, love this idea! Hey, why don't we start one in New York/Brooklyn, people!!

• BrisStyleTeam

BrisStyle Etsy Street Team from BrisStyleTeam said 4 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. It really was such a pleasure to be invited to speak in Sydney and I encourage you all to either get involved in your local teams or start one up of your own. They really are an awesome support network whether you are just starting out or are an experienced Etsy seller. Cheers, Bel x

• HeyHarriet

Tracy from HeyHarriet said 4 years ago

I love being a member of BrisStyle! Such a wonderful and supportive group of inspiring people! Onya Bel!

• cropsarahemma

Sarah and Emma from cropdesign said 4 years ago

as a very new member i can only confirm all belinda has said. we have recieved lots of info and ideas to help our shop grow. i really enjoy following other members in there conversations. very inspiring stories. . great sense of humour too fellow members! thanks for all the support. sarah and emma . crop.design

• rubyredstudios

rubyredstudios from rubyredstudios said 4 years ago

traveller240 it's such an amzing experience being part of a group with such a diverse creative membership. Am sure that the peeps in New York would just soak it up. Keep us in the loop with your progress. Congrats Bels and all the BrisStyle team xox h

• neonmorgan Admin

Morgan Evans from neonmorgan said 4 years ago Featured

• amyblandford

amyblandford said 4 years ago

Just clicking over from the Forums page to see what on earth this is about, 'cause when I saw the word "bris" in the title, Brisbane was not the first thing that came to mind! ...someone had to say it, I guess it was me.

• pinkponiesshop

pretty pinkponies from pinkponiesshop said 4 years ago

Thank you for posting this fabulous video! It's encouraging to know what other teams have experienced during their growing stages. 3P ABOUT US: A network of handmade goods makers and sellers who refer to themselves as “girls making strides … in fancy high heeled shoes,” The Pink Ponies ETSY team provides professional development and business resources to Gen-Y entrepreneurs through collaborative projects, professional networking and non-profit service supporting efforts to further art appreciation by the general public.

• fieldtrip

Amy from fieldtrip said 4 years ago

i love hearing your story! lately i'm thinking it's time to join a local team and this is inspiring me to get going on that :)

• SassyStylin

Lori O from SassyStylin said 4 years ago

where do you find etsy meet & greet's? Through Meetup.com? I'm in NY

• PenGwynneBeads

Gwynne Collins from PenGwynneBeads said 4 years ago

Very interesting!

• Theknottyprofessor

Greg Davis from Theknottyprofessor said 4 years ago

Hello to every one that might be reading this. I have been observing etsy and really like what I have seen. I am just getting started today as I only have one product, soon to have two. No really I will hopefully be moving a little faster but now my wife and I are trying to add on photos that would be enlarged to snap on my one and only product. You have to check it out. the picture is always side ways. also if you have any ideas that would look good in thr burnt pine look and let me know. Nice talking to you!

• Theknottyprofessor

Greg Davis from Theknottyprofessor said 4 years ago

If you come and visit make sure you say hello by leaving me your circle of friendshlp as I am shy and I certainly need a nicr network of friends. Thanks again.

• oceanmoods

MingTa Li from oceanmoods said 4 years ago

Cool! Yeah..I would love to join some teams! : )

• Niftic

Niftic from NifticVintage said 4 years ago

What a firecracker! I'm impressed with Bris, her can do attitude and the fact that she is including those outside of Etsy as well. Truly an inspiration! You Go GIRL!!

• hundredsofbuttons

Liz from hundredsofbuttons said 4 years ago

Congratulations on this comprehensive presentation, Belinda. As one who visited an early market at the church in Hamilton, I am impressed by the growth and professionalism of the BrisStyle Etsy Street Team.

• walimohammed

Wali Mohammed from Walimohammed said 4 years ago

I would like to join some of team...

• ariy1

Ari Y said 4 years ago

Very cool!! :) Great work!!

• VintageWoods

Sarah Woods from VintageWoods said 4 years ago

Interesting concept!!! Thanks!

• plraven

Peigi Lee Campbell Religa from plraven said 3 years ago

Hello, Thank you for the invitation, but I'm not interested in joining any groups at this time. Regards, Peigi Religa

• kbazaar2012

keren shafran from KBazaar said 3 years ago

Great - Thinking about opening my own promo team

• asharjaved

Ashar Javed from asharjaved said 3 years ago

">

• timharless

Tim Harless from GongsbyTim said 3 years ago

Who's in Portland, Or?

• uujjjk

uuj jjk said 3 years ago

• uujjjk
  • kingstoncollective

Addison Austgen from KINGSTONCOLLECTIVE said 3 years ago

KINGSTON COLLECTIVE METAL & LEATHER GOODS!

• gmwelden

Graham Welden said 3 years ago

I would like to find people who are interested to visit Laidley in the Lockyer Valley and see our recovery from the January flood damage and devastation.