Celebrating a Record-Breaking Weekend

Nov 27, 2012

by Chad Dickerson

At Etsy, we believe that people-powered commerce represents a clear alternative to the world of big-box, cookie-cutter retail, with its shoving matches, Black Friday stampedes, and general sameness year after year. Commerce and holiday giving shouldn’t be, and don’t have to be that way.

When you buy a gift from a seller on Etsy, you’re directly supporting people in local communities all over the world while giving something uniquely special and meaningful to someone you care about. At Etsy, you can find the gifts that get them this holiday season, while helping others make a living — and a life — by following their passions.

The 2012 holiday season is shaping up to be a huge success for Etsy sellers, affirming that shoppers around the world are hungry for alternatives. Two weeks ago, well before the peak season started, the Etsy community broke its all-time daily record for sales, exceeding the heights we saw last holiday season. On Cyber Monday, the community blew the doors off that high with record-breaking sales, capping an all around chart-busting weekend. More sellers made sales on Etsy on Monday than on any other day in history.

Here are a few more statistics from the weekend:

• For the Etsy marketplace overall, sales between Black Friday and Cyber Monday increased more than 80% year-over-year, the second year in a row our annual growth rate has increased, even with many more members and transactions to compare.
  • Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, first-time buyers increased by more than 90% compared to 2011, totalling nearly a third of all buyers over the weekend.
  • More sellers made sales on Etsy on Cyber Monday than at any time in our 7-year history, and the average sales per shop grew 26% compared to 2011, double the growth from last year.
  • Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, more than 22 million visits to Etsy generated more than a quarter of a billion page views.
  • Almost 1 in 3 visitors were shopping on mobile devices (compared to 1 in 4 on a typical day).
  • 1 in 4 orders occurred between buyers and sellers in different countries, highlighting the truly global nature of our marketplace.

We are excited about the sheer growth of the marketplace because we know each number means more success this year for the hundreds of thousands of independent, creative businesses around the world here on Etsy.

This year, shoppers will also be able to experience the wonders of Etsy in person in our first-ever Etsy Holiday Shop opening in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood on Thursday, November 29 and running until December 8. The Etsy Holiday Shop will feature merchandise from Etsy sellers all over the world, and give shoppers a special entry point into exploring millions more items in our marketplace.

We’ll also have curated gift selections, chosen by tastemakers from Martha Stewart to Swissmiss to Reggie Watts and more, and a wide variety of programming, from holiday crafts and skills workshops to tastings and musical performances. Shoppers will be able to see, touch, and find the perfect, unique gifts for friends and family, and gather with others in our community to celebrate the holidays in the most Etsy way. We’ll be standing side-by-side with established retail brands in one of the most well-known shopping districts in the world, showing everyone the better alternative that is Etsy. I hope to see some of you there.

Last year’s blockbuster holiday season was a springboard to a breakout 2012 where we’ve seen Etsy grow into a worldwide cultural and economic force. With our current momentum, in 2013 we will begin to measure sales by the Etsy community in billions, and number of sellers in the millions, and continue working together to build a more fulfilling and lasting world through people-powered commerce. Thanks to all of you who are working with us every day to do it — and happy holidays!

• StudioBotanica

Cristy Beck from StudioBotanica said 4 years ago

Wow, that is awesome growth. Cheers!

• jhfabriccreations

Janet Howard from JHFabricCreations said 4 years ago

I'm always surprised at the number of people who shop by phone since it seems like such a limited experience compared to a full computer. But hey - whatever works! I hoe they keep at it. :)

• mikelking Admin

Mikel King from mikelking said 4 years ago

Awesome growth!

• TheHaps

Tiffa from HippopoVintage said 4 years ago

Holy cow, those are some serious numbers!

• phoenixbotanicals

Irina from PhoenixBotanicals said 4 years ago

wow, cool!

• ecokaren

Karen Lee from ecokaren said 4 years ago

congrats to us!

• Jalycme

Jme from Jalycme said 4 years ago

That's fantastic to hear! =D

• PlayingWithFiber

Pam Daley from PlayingWithFiber said 4 years ago

Wow, pretty phenomenal numbers! Who says no one knows about Etsy?? Obviously quite a few million do!

• foxpots

Carole Fox from foxpots said 4 years ago

sounds good - let's keep it going!

• milabeth

Mila Bartos from FizzCandy said 4 years ago

Amazing!

• dragonpop

Christy from Dragonpop said 4 years ago

Very encouraging! Thanks for the update. Happy holidays!!

• FunOnTop

Melinda Hammond from FunOnTop said 4 years ago

Awesome! Thrilled to be a part of the new movement away from big box/mass produced "stuff"!

• customhemptreasures

Rachel S. from customhemptreasures said 4 years ago

That is so awesome! I also had a record breaking weekend. Yesterday I had 20 sales! Congrats to Etsy!

• TheCrimsonMoon

TheCrimsonMoon from TheCrimsonMoon said 4 years ago

Fantastic!

• rathina

Krystal from ModernSwitch said 4 years ago

Awesome news! I did great this weekend! All thanks to Etsy!

• GarageFinds

Marie Nagy from GarageFinds said 4 years ago

And this morning I seen an Etsy Ad an a Merriam Webser website. (Way to go Etsy!) And though I had seen the growth only in one of my shops I am still glad for it.

• AntwarePottery

AntwarePottery from AntwarePottery said 4 years ago

great!

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 4 years ago

This is awesome news and I am so glad to be a part of etsy. Thank you etsy for the opportunity, and thank you Chad for keeping us moving forward!

• beecovered

Dee from BeeCoveredGifts said 4 years ago

It was a SPECTACULAR weekend and the photo of the fireworks in this blog post are exactly my sentiments. It was an amazing weekend and I'm going to be a very very busy bee for the next few weeks. Thank you for allowing us to grow and nurture our business!

• sewingamity

Jennifer Schildt from sewingamity said 4 years ago

Interesting about the first time shoppers!

• felicesereno

Felice Sereno from FeliceSereno said 4 years ago

..wonder why the fora is full of people saying they get no sales LOL!! personally i had a great weekend!

• bannerandsail

stephanie callsen from bannerandsail said 4 years ago

Glad people are supporting their local artisans!

• LoomOnTheLake

Lynn from LoomOnTheLake said 4 years ago

Any stats on how sales were made? For example, how many of them came from the Browse pages?

• aBreathofFrenchair

Elizabeth from ABreathOfFrenchAir said 4 years ago

Wow! Congrats to everyone!

• DCHStudio

Denise from RufflesbytheMoon said 4 years ago

Wowness!

• LazyTcrochet

Tricia from LazyTcrochet said 4 years ago

Fantastic!

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

I had 7 orders on Sunday (a new record for me!!!!!!) and 2 on Cyber Monday, so it was a good weekend in my shop! But still, I would have loved it if you included some sort of promo pointing to Black Friday/Cyber Monday in the Home Page, besides the Gift Guides...

• BlackForestCottage

Donna and Darrell Knish from BlackForestCottage said 4 years ago

Thanks for the info, yesterday was our highest selling day here at etsy as well even better than our busiest day in Dec last year, selling over 20 items. Keep up the good work everyone.

• VeronicaRStudio

Veronica from VeronicaRussekJoyas said 4 years ago

Quote: "Last year’s blockbuster holiday season was a springboard to a breakout 2012 where we’ve seen Etsy grow into a worldwide cultural and economic force. With our current momentum, in 2013 we will begin to measure sales by the Etsy community in billions, and number of sellers in the millions, and continue working together to build a more fulfilling and lasting world through people-powered commerce." --------- Does this mean you will start paying more attention to those of us that are not in the US? The rest of the world is pretty big, and pretty ignored right now.

• mentalembellisher

Mental from mentalembellisher said 4 years ago

Good stuff! I just had a normal weekend, I'm not in the US either.....still love Etsy though....

• Awston

Austin Marland from SelectWoodcraft said 4 years ago

This is awesome! I made a ton of sales on this weekend so I am not surprised by these stats at all! :)

• PeachTreeSupplies

Lydia Seltz from PeachTreeSupplies said 4 years ago

It is very encouraging to hear Etsy did so well :) Keep up the good work everyone!

• WoodcraftsandCandles

WoodcraftsandCandles from WoodcraftsandCandles said 4 years ago

My personal sales this weekend certainly reflect this. And they were mostly from new customers which is so encouraging. Hurray for all of us!

• DesignsbyBaerreis

Baerreis from DesignsbyBaerreis said 4 years ago

kudos!

• sewZinski

Sarah Constantino from sewZinski said 4 years ago

Yay! Great numbers. Very interesting about first time buyers. This weekend was a personal best for me as well. Couldn't be happier.

• hughespottery

Charles and Rowan Hughes from hughespottery said 4 years ago

Interesting stats but like the Weather Report, with certain key numbers missing I still don't understand how these stats mean anything. An 80% increase in sales means nothing without knowing how many *sellers* there were last year, and how many new sellers there are this year. Average growth of shop sales are up by 26%? That's another misleading stat. That means that some shops aren't selling anything, and some shops are selling hundred of items a day. My well-established shop? Down 50% from last November.

• CandacesCloset

CandacesCloset from CandacesCloset said 4 years ago

Fabulous! So happy to be a part of the sales growth this holiday season.

• amberstudios

Barbara from amberstudios said 4 years ago

Great news!!!! We are changing trends of Holiday shopping!

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

Think how much you missed by not having our items appear in Google shopping for much of that time period. So far October is better for me.

• tinytokensdesigns

Sandi from TinyTokensDesigns said 4 years ago

I also think that the stats are misleading. This will be my fourth Christmas here and this November is definitely slower than previous years. Other than that and having to deal with the monthly changes I still love selling on Etsy and happy to be a part of its community.

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

Also, Nov. 2011 and Nov. 2012 are oddly about the same stats for mine despite the addition of many new listings and major SEO revamps going on.

• byDelirium

Angela from DeliriumAccessories said 4 years ago

It was my first black friday & cyber monday in etsy I had no sales but I hope next year will be better for my shop ;) Congratulations for your sales ;) Angela

• sarantos

sarantos from SARANTOS said 4 years ago

But hey if people are looking for alphabet items they won't find them in my shop so that might be the difference.

• LayraB

Anna J from GatzBcn said 4 years ago

I sold nothing and my views were even low. I have nothing to celebrate and I don't know what I did wrong :'(

• LayraB

Anna J from GatzBcn said 4 years ago

I sold nothing and my views were very low compared to the rest of the month. I don't know what I did wrong :'(

• BrooklynLoveDesigns

Megan C from AlaskaBagCompany said 4 years ago

had a great weekend, glad to hear etsy is doing amazing!

• MidwestAlchemy

MidwestAlchemy from MidwestAlchemy said 4 years ago

Wow...amazing stats!

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading from newhopebeading said 4 years ago

I initially thought I was down severely from last year BUT when I broke the numbers down today what it seems like is this year the sales were more evenly spaced throughout the weekend and last year they fell heavily on cyber monday.... the net result was I was only a bit down from last year so not bad .... last year was insane.... I didn't really think I would beat last year and live to tell about it ! LOL

• jessiemccann

jessiemccann from jessiemccann said 4 years ago

This is great news!

• Hatomic

Lisajo Finch from Hatomic said 4 years ago

Congratulations to Etsy and those of you that had a sucessful weekend. I followed the 'initial' advice re bf/cm tags and spent time, effort and money promoting my shop. Unfortunately I didn't see the revised admin post re tags, whether that was a contributing factor to my unsuccessful weekend - I don't know? I would be vey interested to see more stats, eg what percentage of shops got the lions share. NO sour grapes (honest) but some sellers appear to be on an elite list and their items appear hard to avoid lol .......and lastly how does one get onto the elite list? Cookie anyone? :-)

• LilikoiLetterpress

Andria Sato from LilikoiLetterpress said 4 years ago

With so many options to sell online, we are proud and grateful to be a buyer and seller on etsy. Cheers!

• FavreBijoux

Mimi from FavreBijoux said 4 years ago

What were the biggest selling items? What is the average sale? This was not my experience. Hoping for a better few weeks to came.

• CutOutTheFun

Mary Richmond from CutOutTheFun said 4 years ago

That is amazing!

• IsabelleKnits

IsabelleKnits from IsabelleKnits said 4 years ago

Great news... Cyber Monday was good to me this year.

• riricreations

riricreations from riricreations said 4 years ago

Yesterday was our best day ever, and we had almost as many orders on Sunday as we did yesterday! Thrilled to be here- thanks ETSY!

• SeaBeachGlass

SeaBeachGlass from SeaBeachGlass said 4 years ago

Yesterday was awesome! Now, I want it like that every day - won't settle for less. Happy Holidays, Happy Sales!

• WinchesterLambourne

WinchesterLambourne from WinchesterLambourne said 4 years ago

Congrats to Etsy and everybody who did well! I didn't participate in the sales as I am in the middle of travels right now, but I was very glad to see a lot of my Etsy friends hit new records this weekend.

• AntoinettesWhims

Antoinette from AntoinettesWhims said 4 years ago

My stats show not a single sale all weekend. :-( Glad someone was having sales.

• CherryHills

CherryHills from CherryHills said 4 years ago

I wonder how much greater it would have been if Etsy would have actually *acknowledged* EITHER of these shopping days on the Front Page.

• BagsByLora

Lora Colwell from BagsByLora said 4 years ago

Great news! Our shop did very well this weekend!

• crochetgal

crochetgal from crochetgal said 4 years ago

Very interesting to see how many people are shopping for handmade, vintage and supplies vs the items available commercially.

• DantesSpirit

Wolf from DantesSpirit said 4 years ago

You know what would have been truly awesome and would have made for an especially spectacular weekend? A banner. Just imagine how utterly stupendous the weekend would have been then!

• spunkyrooster

Amanda from doodledewdesigns said 4 years ago

Just think how sales would have increased if there was something on the front page advertising the fact that shops were having sales! Profits could have been unimaginable!

• kawaiicupcakes

Chelsea from WhisperOwl said 4 years ago

Wow! That's so cool and amazing! I got 5 sales over the weekend, all of which were international! I also bought a load of stuff from other shops as gifts for my family, and for myself, hehe.

• SpiceofLifeDesigns

Megan Martin from SpiceofLifeDesigns said 4 years ago

I had a fabulous BF-CM, sales were more than double last year, though the average amount per sale was lower.

• EviesToolEmporium

Michelle and Dave from EviesToolEmporium said 4 years ago

Wonderful to hear! We had our best ever BF through CM ever on Etsy! Happy holiday season to all!

• charmsbydiana

Diana from charmsbydiana said 4 years ago

this is just fantastic! I had a great BF-CM weekend and really appreciate the push by Etsy to help us sellers out :-)

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 4 years ago

Yesterday was my best day ever on Etsy but I didn't even realize it until today. I was too busy!

• taschasharratt

Tascha S. from PursesByTascha said 4 years ago

It was my first BF & CM selling on Etsy - 1 order consisting of 2 bracelets :). Can't complain! I had zero sales in October but overall, I have been relativeley busy since opening in March of this year. Thanks for a great first year so far Etsy!!!

• DamsonTreePottery

Marieanne Cavaciuti from damsontreepottery said 4 years ago

Wonderful news! Etsy is becoming more and more known in the UK especially with 20 somethings! I didn't do any special promos this weekend as had so many orders already, but sales were excellent! First listed on 11th Dec last year and revenue has increased every month with November double other months so far! Thank you for this incredible opportunity! :D

• ledonracing

Nathan O'Dell from LedonGifts said 4 years ago

13 orders friday through to monday so I'm pretty happy, as weekend are normally very slow in my shop. All from etsys 'in-built' traffic and no promotion of anything to do with black friday or cyber monday (to busy making things!)

• black130

Robyn Hood Black from artsyletters said 4 years ago

Congrats - and as a new seller, so happy to hear!

• LaECLECTICa

LaECLECTICa from Laeclectica said 4 years ago

It is my understanding now that we actually DID need Cyber Monday Etsy in our titles to be found, not the tags. I am happy for the great overall sales but it is very unfortunate that we were not given correct and VERY important information to follow by etsy. On site advertising would have been very logical and helpful too, such a front page banner.

• Stratfieldworkshop

Amie Copeland Stark from ThatRetroGirl said 4 years ago

My shop did not experience a surge of sales over the weekend, but I am still looking forward to a great Christmas season. Thanks Etsy

• BackyardBrand

Jim McLean from BackyardBrand said 4 years ago

Well, then, Chad. You must being doing something right. Congrats!

• silverlily786

Fatema from SilverLilyJewelry said 4 years ago

Glad to hear that many had a great weekend and to see people commerce thriving

• TheHenPen

Danni from TheHenPen said 4 years ago

This article mirrors the awesome sales and increased views I saw in my own shop over the weekend. I'm so happy that other shops saw the same success too! :) Yay!

• simplysuzula

Suz from SimplySuzula said 4 years ago

WOWSA!! So glad to be a part of this so far super successful season on Etsy!

• amylburns

Amy L Burns from amylburns said 4 years ago

YAY! I had great traffic in my shop over the weekend, and I'm excited to say I had my first Black Friday sale ever this year. :)

• SunshineandRavioli

Stephanie from SunshineandRavioli said 4 years ago

It definitely was a good weekend, yesterday in particular! Great news that it was site-wide!

• AeridesDesigns

AeridesDesigns from AeridesDesigns said 4 years ago

Great to see good numbers, but I have to wonder if this means Etsy will take the opportunity to promote even more: Finds Emails are nice but seemed to be the only method used, maybe a few extra tweets. I got more emails from single retail outlets highlighting specials than I did from Etsy.

• Gypsymoondesigns

Gypsymoondesigns from Gypsymoondesigns said 4 years ago

This years November sales are higher than last years Nov and Dec combined in my shop. I am thrilled to hear the whole site is breaking records!

• mamapainter

Linda from mamapainter said 4 years ago

WOW, I wish just a few had even visited my shop. Not one Cyber Monday tag hit, not one.

• cherryandviolet

Angie Morrison from BrenLively said 4 years ago

Fantastic news! I can't wait to see what happens in 2013!

• HeyChica

Hey Chica from HeyChica said 4 years ago

I had huge views and some sales in my shop this weekend, looking forward to what's coming next!

• rukaanne

Ruth Seiler from CraftsOfRuka said 4 years ago

Horray I am so Happy that the home base for my new e-store is doing so well.

• RubyBeets

Ruby from MissBeets said 4 years ago

A rising tide lifts all boats!

• PyxusPassionProject

Michelle Maynard from SimonesRoseBoutique said 4 years ago

High five on a job well done everyone! Lets keep the positivity going for continued success through the year end!

• lunaessence

lunaessence from LunaEssence said 4 years ago

FAbulous Etsy :D

• Celticcatphotos

Celtic Cat Photos Mary Catherine Campbell from Celticcatphotos said 4 years ago

That certainly is good news!

• Celticcatphotos
  • moonlightdesigns2

Alona from MoonlightDesigns2 said 4 years ago

Great to see such progress on Etsy. This year my Black Friday sales were great, now I wish I had also done Cyber Monday! Next year I will definitley do both! Happy holidays and many sales to all sellers!

• collectique

collectique from Collectique said 4 years ago

I'm thrilled with my sales leading up to the weekend and the whole weekend especially BF. Interesting, 1 in 3 shoppers on mobile devices, if my eyes were younger I'd have one too.

• livjewellery

Jennifer from livjewellery said 4 years ago

Amazing! I had a wonderful weekend of sales and I'm thrilled to be a small part of these numbers. Thanks Etsy!

• thehobotrain

Renee from thehobotrain said 4 years ago

That is so awesome!!! ♥

• PookieandJack

Suzanne and Melissa from PookieandJack said 4 years ago

Fantastic news! We had a great weekend, too!

• cre8ive1

Madison from PicolloPark said 4 years ago

Slowest Thanksgiving since I've been with Etsy. Congrats to those that did well. I wish I knew why my business was sooo slow.

• gardenmis

Priscilla from Gardenmis said 4 years ago

Happy to see continued growth and be a part of it all! :)

• ittybittybag

Jen St. Jean from ittybittybag said 4 years ago

The site changes have been hard to keep up with. Also would love to see where sales were generated from: browse, finds, same shops on the front page not a banner? My sales are down from last year. The sales I had were generated by a show & my own email. I am just not being found.

• sagegoods

Joanne Irvine from SageGoods said 4 years ago

50% of my sales over the last 5 days have been to brand new Etsy members. Whatever the difference is, I Like It :)

• PhenomeGNOME

Mary Ferguson from PhenomeGNOME said 4 years ago

I'm thrilled to be a member of Etsy - thank you for allowing me a venue to be able to work from home ... I love my job :)

• CreationsdeFlorence

Florence Pindrys from ButterflyRougeStudio said 4 years ago

Woo hoo. That is fantastic! I also broke my sales record this week-end. I love etsy.

• CreationsdeFlorence

Florence Pindrys from ButterflyRougeStudio said 4 years ago

Woo hoo, that is fantastic. I broke my sales record this week-end. I love etsy.

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 4 years ago

And and happy holidays to you too:>)

• burnish

Rebekah Hemmer from burnish said 4 years ago

Fantastic!

• loosepetals

Karen Young from loosepetals said 4 years ago

Over the weekend I had unbelievable sales $500.00 a day!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

Lisa Steiner from ElainaLouiseStudios said 4 years ago

Congratulations Etsy! It was a fantastic weekend! Our shop broke all our own records as well.

• milladesigns

milladesigns from milladesigns said 4 years ago

Etsy is one of the first places I go to when buying something for others or myself. I love being a part of the handmade community!

• MapleAshandOak

Karina from KarinaManarin said 4 years ago

Well, my sales were by far worse this year (I actually did way better in the middle of the year before the changes were made and also last year).. even with all the relevancy adjustments I made for my shop.. very annoying and disappointing. Good I guess for the shops who Always appear at the top of the browse searches.

• AnnaBelleArts

AnnaBelleArts from AnnaBelleArts said 4 years ago

Wowza! Congrats Etsy!!!

• LoveButlerVintage

Patrice and JoJo from LoveButlerVintage said 4 years ago

Well WOW just WOW !!!!

• VintageGlobal

Shaffer from VintageGlobal said 4 years ago

Awesome! and it just keeps growing! Congrats to administration. Keep up the good work! Blessings, Shaffer

• SupplyYourSoul

Gail Cormier from SupplyYourSoul said 4 years ago

Great news! Etsy is an exciting place to be!

• hellome

April from hellome said 4 years ago

After an extended "wellness break", this is my first holiday season back with Etsy since 2009. Yet I am only a few sales short of meeting my Nov sales for that year. So I am pretty excited. And muy grateful.

• EvesLittleEarthlings

Eve Geisler from EvesLittleEarthlings said 4 years ago

All of November was awesome for me. This weekend was good, but not as busy as the weekend before. Congrats Etsy! I think the next step for Etsy is to level the playing field and offer all the perks it gives to US sellers to everyone.

• happysundayonetsy

Sue Anderson from happysundayonetsy said 4 years ago

Yes, this was a great weekend and we have been quite busy! Congratulations!

• OKIFOLKI

Sally Bowman from OKIFOLKI said 4 years ago

FANTASTIC! Etsy is GREAT because Etsy is DIFFERENT! We are exactly what they all meant when they kept saying the internet was going to turn the world into a global village. Etsy epitomises that and it's so exciting to be a part of! Huge success - and very well deserved!

• carrieliang

carrie liang from Supercolour said 4 years ago

Oh!great!

• mycomputerismycanvas

Colette from mycomputerismycanvas said 4 years ago

Awesome!! My shop has been open for over two years and this past weekend was my BEST EVER... more than 6 times my best day last year with over 150 orders on Monday alone! Etsy has been a fantastic experience for me - I'm looking forward to more enhancements to keep us all moving forward with all of this gained momentum. FYI... Alot of my customers couldn't see or didn't find the "apply shop coupon code" link at checkout - I wish it was just a regular input box, right there, without an extra step to click to open to box. Most, if not all, online retailers just have the box right there with no extra step to open it. Other than that, my weekend of sales was seamless! Thank you, fun article!!

• Uturn

Leslie Hagen from Uturn said 4 years ago

Since Etsy changed the "browse" feature on the front page, my sales compared to last year this time are poor..nothing on cyber Monday. All the pottery/ceramic people have been buried and struggling to surface again with our category becoming almost non existent. I am very discouraged.

• Lilpunky

Ann from PrettyVagrant said 4 years ago

Great to hear the increase! Would love to see more of a number break down since there are also more shops selling on Etsy this year. Also curious to the breakdown of purchases from Browse to purchases made from the search bar. Being seen in Google Shopping and a banner of the FP would have made it even bigger! My Black Friday was slightly down. I did normal on Cyber Monday thanks to my return/repeat customers that took advantage of my little specials. I hope it doesn't drop off now:)

• ColoursandTextures

Tessa from ColoursandTextures said 4 years ago

' I think the next step for Etsy is to level the playing field and offer all the perks it gives to US sellers to everyone.' Hear hear

• AJHetz

AprilJoy from TheMintGreenTagSale said 4 years ago

I'm proud to be a part of the success! If even just a tiny part! Thanks for sharing this info with us!

• LoveJaneJewelry

Jane from LoveJaneJewelry said 4 years ago

I must admit that I had a boffo weekend, hope it continues through the month!

• ABridesEyeView

Pat from ABridesEyeView said 4 years ago

I have been with Etsy since 2005 (had another shop). This was not a good weekend for my shop. I am glad for the information and I know it is good. I would like more details as well. I really don't even do well against my direct competition. I just wish I knew what I am doing wrong. I have read and reread all the info and follow the recommendations. My 'healthier' competition does not follow the recommendations. I try to do half the recommendations and half of what they are doing (not copy - but emulate with my spin). Best wishes to all those sellers and your families as well, Pat

• MySweetieBean

Ivy T from MySweetieBean said 4 years ago

I would love a more detailed breakdown of those numbers, preferably in my shop stats. Where the sales are from - search, browse, google, etc and if applicable, what the keyword was that got them to my shop. I am really pleased with this November. So far I'm up a whopping 93% over last November and Black Friday was my best sales day ever, beating last year by an increase of 194%. Monday wasn't significant for me, but I did see a 25% increase over last year.

• GabbyandZack

Laurie Folino from GabbyandZack said 4 years ago

I love Etsy and am happy for those who did well. I am having the worst November ever. But it can only get better. :-)

• tetonparchment

Teton Parchment from tetonparchment said 4 years ago

This is terrific news! Congratulations to our fellow Etsy sellers.

• cmu55

Connie from LittleTurtleHatShop said 4 years ago

Congrats to everyone!!!

• lifemeetsart

Jolynn from lifemeetsart said 4 years ago

I must not have been on the same website.

• SoLaynaInspirations

Kristen Blodgett from SoLaynaInspirations said 4 years ago

This is so true! My sales have more than quadrupled since last year! Thanks Etsy!

• krjewelrydisplays

Kathy from krjewelrydisplays said 4 years ago

Happy to be a part of these statistics!!!

• Lilsprout

Tiffany from Lilsprout said 4 years ago

Happy holidays Iam honored to be apart of it all:)

• JeanieBeanHandknits

Jeanie B from JeanieBeanHandKnits said 4 years ago

These statistics are great to see! Glad to be a part of Etsy!

• TexturedINK

Ankita Kejariwal from TexturedINK said 4 years ago

fabulous sales over the weekend esp Cyber Monday.....I couldn't believe it....Now I wish everyday was a MANIC MONDAY ;)

• chantalmarieliving

Chantal from chantalmarieliving said 4 years ago

This is shaping up to be my best season yet. Keep up the good work Etsy! Keep promoting and improving the site, and we'll keep making the best products ever. Thank you.

• thehappywhiner

The Happy Whiner from thehappywhiner said 4 years ago

Aw man, I didn't have many sales. Probably cause I'm a newbie. Hopefully next year.

• bigpawsaints

Kathy from BigpawCollars said 4 years ago

I never thought I'd see the numbers I'm seeing in my shop this month! Thank you Etsy!!!

• alatvian

Rita from alatvian said 4 years ago

would really love to have the "Just Sold" back to see, what people are buying, to adjust my offerings so far, 2012 is the slowest year ever for me :(

• GraGra33

Graeme said 4 years ago

Amazing stats... congrats all!

• tomsgrossmami

Tom's Grossmami from tomsgrossmami said 4 years ago

Congrats! I wish just a few had even visited my shop. Not one Cyber Monday tag hit...

• foxtailcreek

Janine from FoxtailCreekStudio said 4 years ago

WOW what awesome news to read this morning!

• ChicVintageWear

ChicVintageWear from ChicVintageWear said 4 years ago

My experience was fantastic!! Every sale as a new customer to me and almost all were also new to etsy!!

• EnglishShop

Eve from EnglishShop said 4 years ago

• Crystalphotography

Crystal from CrystalGaylePhoto said 4 years ago

I know many shops did sell a lot. I on the other hand, spent a lot of time changing tags and descriptions, only to end up with zero sales. Was disappointing. Where did etsy do all their advertising?

• ElisabethSpace

Elisabeth Percival from ElisabethSpace said 4 years ago

Cyber Monday was my highest sales day to date. So pleased with how well my fellow sellers did. I found myself a new favorite soap/lip balm maker here thanks to her Black Friday sale (PuurBody). Looking forward to more of the same. Good job, everyone!

• bellsandwhistlesshop

Megan from bellsandwhistlesshop said 4 years ago

Well, yea for Etsy. As for me, with all of the changes, I am at 30% of last year's sales. And last year wasn't great. I had 0 Black Friday sales, despite following all of Etsy's recommendations, and my views actually went down to almost none. I'm glad so many of you are doing well, though. Good luck to everyone, hopefully it will get better.

• DesignsbyHarriet

Harriet from HGWjewelrydesigns said 4 years ago

You mean the holiday season is shaping up to be a huge success for Etsy, not sellers in general. Some will make it big others won't make it at all, but don't assume we are all doing well. I have not had a sales in the summer and this season has not changed a thing. If it wasn't for my jewelry sales in local shops and shows, I would have to find another profession.

• ThePaperButton

Kari McDonald from ThePaperButton said 4 years ago

It's exciting how we're changing the way the world works! Thank you Etsy and Chad for the note - love reading them

• TwigsAndLace

Cindy from TwigsAndLace said 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the stats with us. I was very curious to know how well sellers did in general this past weekend. I know many people have seen a drastic fall in sales in the last few months. Reading that you expect millions of sellers by next year, I am not sure how great that will be for the average seller but I'm in! I can only judge through my own sales how well the recent changes have worked. I am very happy to report this has been my best month since selling on Etsy for almost 3 years WOOHOO! Hope the momentum keeps up!

• LaCravate

Carol from LaCravate said 4 years ago

Congrats to all who sold, commiserations to those who didn't and thanks to Etsy for being such a successful platform! Just one thing - I would love to be able to see 'Just Sold' again - I miss not seeing what is trending, what is selling etc. I'm not just nosey - it's a useful tool!

• Petschen

Petschen from Petschen said 4 years ago

We look foward to be part of that. It's impressing how world wirde connecting everything works and what beautiful items people post here. Amazing. All the best and greeting from Germany, the Petschen Jockeys.

• TheJewelryChateau

Erica from TheJewelryChateau said 4 years ago

Wow! A true sense of pride just washed over me. What an incredible feeling to be a part of the Etsy community.

• valeriephoto

Valerie from valeriestitchery said 4 years ago

Great news! I know my 2012 is already better than my 2011.

• PoffSculptures

Poff Sculptures from PoffSculptures said 3 years ago

Great!

• candicebeaty1
  • Kkrizzy

Kriss Hays from iKandiesJewelry said 3 years ago

I'm glad Etsy had such a successful selling period. Unfortunately, my shop did not compared to last year. I tried all the "tips", changes, suggestions I could but nothing seemed to help. Don't know what happened other than the market is saturated and it takes a "special" shop to get noticed. Any suggestions on what to do next?

• cathscottagecraft

Catherine from CathsCottage said 3 years ago

how exciting :) I'll finally be working on my Etsy shop in 2013 and seeing how Australia plugs into Etsy, a bit of research and reading to do, and then all hands on deck (well, my two hands lol) I'm impressed with the professionalism, future growth, technology and background of Etsy. Well done, cath x

• HilltopTimes

Maggie from HilltopTimes said 3 years ago

Fabulous, and expected, news for Etsy!!

• PhyllisHarrisDesigns

Phyllis Harris from PhyllisHarrisDesigns said 3 years ago

Yay! And here's to an even greater year in 2013!! Phyllis Harris http://www.phyllisharris.com http://phyllisharris.blogspot.com http://www.etsy.com/shop/PhyllisHarrisDesigns

• HaniyyaBazaar

Alicia Miranda from HaniyyaBazaar said 3 years ago

I shut down my ebay and amazon store and continue to grow my etsy shop. I love etsy. its so affordable and easy to use. and I hope etsy don't begin to start charging more fees. I love all the upgrade changes made this: don't have to keep relisting item, you can just increase quantity. accepts debit & credit, accepts gift cards, and now you can even print shipping labels straight from etsy. I love all the upgrades. and this is just my first year. Thank you etsy.

• HaniyyaBazaar

Alicia Miranda from HaniyyaBazaar said 3 years ago

My first year on etsy and I sold over 300 items!!!! I love etsy.!

• artisanimpact

Ev from artisanimpact said 3 years ago

Keep the good work!

• NaturesPurityBath

Peggy from NaturesPurityBath said 3 years ago

Congrats to everyone. Way to go!!!! I love Etsy!

• 2vcreative

Violeta Warner from QVintage said 3 years ago

"People powered commerce" I like it! So true about finding one of a kind gifts on Etsy. I've received so many messages from buyers that were so grateful to find vintage gifts that bring fond memories of their childhood. Here's to Etsy. The best is yet to come!

• ThePendantPalace

Kathryn Bowman from ThePendantPalace said 3 years ago

Keep doing what you are doing. It's an awesome concept and it's working.

• DebbiesAnimalPlaques

Debbie Mathews from DebbiesAnimalPlaques said 3 years ago

I love knowing that small shops and local crafters, as well as those in other countries, can join together and make a difference in the economy. There is no item that you could want that can't be found on Etsy. If you can imagine it, someone on Etsy will be able to make it for you. Quite simply put -- Etsy is the best!!

• DebbiesAnimalPlaques

Debbie Mathews from DebbiesAnimalPlaques said 3 years ago

I love knowing that local crafters, as well as those in other countries, can join together and make a difference in the economy. You can find anything on Etsy. If you can imagine it, someone on Etsy will be able to make it for you. Quite simply put -- Etsy is the best!!

• hetrickscrafts

Roseann Hetrick from hetrickscrafts said 3 years ago

I had 15% off sale on most of my items in my shop and still didn't have many sales. Wish I could have had 300 sales like some people. I have reasonably priced hand crocheted items that I make myself, had a lot of lookers but not very many sales.

• hetrickscrafts

Roseann Hetrick from hetrickscrafts said 3 years ago

I had more sales from Sept to Nov then I had in Dec. even though I was offering a 15% sale on many items in my shop

• enchantedbeas

ILEANA Munteanu from enchantedbeas said 3 years ago

Happy to be a part of this success!

• AnaDoraArt

Ana Dora from AnaDoraArt said 3 years ago

Chad wrote: The Etsy Holiday Shop will feature merchandise from Etsy sellers all over the world, and give shoppers a special entry point into exploring millions more items in our marketplace. We’ll also have curated gift selections, chosen by tastemakers from Martha Stewart to Swissmiss to Reggie Watts and more... _______________________________________________ Between ALL curated gift items ONLY 3 in ART!!!!

• Dharlee

Dharlee from JewelryCustomDesigns said 3 years ago

My sales reflected a better year than last as well, and I attribute it to a LOT of work in my shop. I hope many more have this happen as well. I DO think that with as many people shopping via Cell Phone as have this year, Etsy needs to make sure that cells phone users can see the selections we have in place for them. Right now they cannot see things like sizes or lengths to choose and they also cannot see various shipping times from which to choose. This would be a huge benefit for sellers if this were implemented.

• rctees

toni from RCTees said 3 years ago

2012 has been a banner year for us as well. November was our best month since opening and by Dec 19th....we had topped November. Here's to much continued Etsy success and a FABulous 2013 : )

• somethinspecial

Sue Faunt from somethinspecial said 3 years ago

Wonderful!

• xZOUix

Zoui from XZOUIX said 3 years ago

nice :::-)

• mizmlu

Marylou Denyer from mizmlu said 3 years ago

I am a big fan of Etsy and both my daughters have shops here. I am happy that so many shops had fabulous increases in sales over the recent period. However, my sales have dropped 84% over last year. I have promoted my creations in many more places than last year and added many more original pieces as well as vintage items to no avail. I add new items every few days and have improved my photos as well as my designs. I would love to have participated in the Etsy success. Maybe next year will be better.

• honeystreasures

Michael and Lisa from honeystreasures said 3 years ago

That's fantastic news! I know we've seen a big increase in our sales and thankfully, my husband was able to retire from his barber shop and now we're doing this business full time! So very happy and blessed to be a small part of this growing community. I know that whenever I want to buy something, whether for myself or a gift, I always look to shop on Etsy first.

• empressi

Ira from empressi said 3 years ago

Amazing! I love to see the growth and be a part if it all, both selling and purchasing through my beloved Etsy:)

• personallook

Sharon Lee Samyn from personallook said 3 years ago

Great News to hear! Looking for and even better 2013! I love being part of Etsy!

• MyHumbleJumble

Linda Gomeau from MyHumbleJumble said 3 years ago

Fantastic! So great to be a part of the Etsy community!

• retrophoenix

Dana Austin from RetroPhoenix said 3 years ago

My shop is brand spanking new this year. With only 15 listings, we sold 5. I think that's outstanding! Love Etsy. I'm looking forward to diving into the Etsy community in 2013.

• lostsentiments

lostsentiments from lostsentiments said 3 years ago

Very excited to be a part of the handmade movement :) or, as I like to call it - the salt of the earth - preserving awesome items and reinventing things! :) Thank you so much for sharing the numbers - love watching the stats! :)

• umeone

Linda Sapp Long from umeone said 3 years ago

Thank you for all your positive reports. This was my first full year of working my Shop. With all the support from Teams and Etsy Success I look forward to 2013 being a great year! Happy New Year!!!

• vickishead

Vicki Shead from curlywillowco said 3 years ago

Great reporting! Let's keep growing!

• DTBLTD

Debra from Gallery122 said 3 years ago

That was a thrilling update!! Warmest wishes for a joyful and prosperous 2013!! ❤♑❤

• printtroll

RobRoy Chalmers from RobRoyChalmers said 3 years ago

Fantastic to hear!

• OlinkaOlinka

Olga from OlinkaOlinka said 3 years ago

Great number.....This was my worst year in terms of sales.

• BaxCatandCo

Kelly from BaxCatandCo said 3 years ago

Wow, how exciting! My shop isn't quite a year old yet... looking forward to another great year ahead =^-^=

• AuriesDesigns

AuriesDesigns from AuriesDesigns said 3 years ago

We opened our shop last year and November was our best month with 11 sales - most during the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Weekend. In fact, we had two sales in the same day twice! A first for us. We are looking forward to 2013 with Etsy and have started the year off with 150 listing!!

• cJoyOriginals

Carol Hendricks from cJoyOriginals said 3 years ago

I had a very good holiday season this year, compared to last year (....which was my first and I was still trying to figure out how things worked). That was exciting for me! I do agree with one comment I read about the miscommunication about tags. I, too, was frustrated when I thought I was following the guidelines (i.e., not using Black Friday Etsy in your titles), and then found out that was not correct. I feel like I missed out on lots of opportunities for views because I followed the "rules," that turned out not to be valid. Also, I really miss the daily Showcases. I have tried the Search Ads format and have had no sales and very few views from those. In order to get much exposure you have to pay the highest price and I just can't afford that. I got so much better views and exposure from the Showcases......can you bring them back, please?? Overall, I am enjoying my Etsy experience, and the people in the community are fabulous! Thanks much!