About Us: The Etsy Video Team

Jul 6, 2012

by Michelle Traub

From humble beginnings of wigs and green screens to professional features on The Atlantic and the LA Times, video at Etsy has evolved right along with the community. In a cozy editing cave, Tara Young, Eric Beug, Jeremiah Glazer, and Beth Levison bring the Etsy marketplace to life, producing stunning mini-documentaries that probe into person, process, and place.

Amity Roach

Tara shoots Rob Ryan in London.

Tara reflects, “We’re looking for real stories — that inspire, that educate, that show you something unexpected.” In casting for these pieces, Tara emphasizes that it’s not just a stellar shop that’s going to catch their eye, but really the engaging narrative that bubbles to the surface. She’s hopeful that the new shop About pages will be a rich resource for the team in mining nuggets of backstory.

Eric Beug

Jeremiah runs sound on the move.

Just like the sellers they profile, these filmmakers are replacing the traditional infrastructure of large crews in favor of expressing their singular voices. Jeremiah muses, “Our producers are one-man bands. They’re getting their camera ready, they’re getting the sound ready, and they’re getting the light ready, all by themselves. We’re keeping a very high level of quality while using methods that are much more modern.”

Made by Joel

Eric captures Joel Henriques's bird mobile as a Mother's Day project.

The members of the Etsy community express their commitment to craft in every kiln batch and flea market hunt, and the video team connects to that passionate spirit by pushing themselves to develop sumptuous vignettes of creativity in their series. Beth adds, “Like any creative process, the product is the result of so much work, ingenuity, thoughtfulness, and synchronicity. When you’re buying an item on Etsy, it’s the culmination of all of that. And what we get to do is pull back the layers and show what lies underneath.”

Keep up with the video team by subscribing to our YouTube, Vimeo, or iTunes channels!

• daniellexo

Danielle Maveal from daniellexo said 7 years ago

This team inspires me more and more with each video they create. (They're also very lovable people!) So glad to see they now have their own 'handmade portrait'.

• metalicious

Stephanie Maslow Blackman from metalicious said 7 years ago

I always love the Etsy Handmade Portraits, they're like tiny works of art and give such a dynamic and interesting perspective on the artist they're featuring. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

• OnceUponAGem

Madi from OnceUponAGem said 7 years ago

Love it....

• MidwestAlchemy

MidwestAlchemy from MidwestAlchemy said 7 years ago

Love it!

• SoapForYourSoul

Emily from SoapForYourSoul said 7 years ago

I love the video features! Nice look behind the scenes.

• DecadesOfVintage

DecadesOfVintage from DecadesOfVintage said 7 years ago

thanks so much for opening the curtain and allowing us to take a peak on what and how it all works

• loopyboopy

loopy from loopyboopy said 7 years ago

Oh please come visit me!! I'd love to meet Michelle and we can share a mint julep:) Love these lil documentaries y'al do. Great work.

• BizzieLizzie

Bizzie from BizzieLizzieHandmade said 7 years ago

Oh, this is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this with us! It really does allow us to get to "know" you a bit more and feel that attachment! Love it!

• buffalogirls

Ludmilla from buffalogirls said 7 years ago

Lovely videos. But too much head room:)

• felicesereno

Felice Sereno from FeliceSereno said 7 years ago

interesting..very informative

• compassionmalas

Laura from compassionmalas said 7 years ago

I love the age diversity in that video linked here! Beautiful young, middle, and older-aged people. Inspiring for a life of creating.

• aBreathofFrenchair

Elizabeth from ABreathOfFrenchAir said 7 years ago

I love watching people making and living their lives!

• loopyboopy

loopy from loopyboopy said 7 years ago

One thing I so love about these vids is that they are so real. They don't intend to polish up handmade or make it something other than what it is. In this world of smoke and mirrors I really appreciate that vision from the film makers and editors. So nice, and again thank you!

• vsc83

Victoria from VictoriaCampAllison said 7 years ago

I love the handmade portraits videos! I think they add a level of authenticity and ownership that is very much a large part of the handmade community, and a vital aspect of this site.

• JulieMeyer

Julie Meyer from JulieMeyer said 7 years ago

One of my most favorite parts of Etsy - the videos! I went to art school for film and video so can really appreciate the work you put into it. These are exactly the types of documentary videos that speak to me. But alas, I traded camera for sewing machine. Can you post a link to the football video? The glimpse of someone stitching a football is very intriguing.

• OhFaro

Faro from OhFaro said 7 years ago

I adore the video features and look forward to seeing each one. Thanks for sharing this with us, and for all the great work you do!

• steampunkfunk

Angie Lawlar from AnvilsAndAlchemy said 7 years ago

So. Stinking Cool! I love it, keep up the great work!

• Vanessa Admin

Vanessa Bertozzi from Vanessa said 7 years ago

Mmmmwah! I love you guys!

• Ihaveit4U

Cards N Boxes from cardsandboxes said 7 years ago

That was great guys!

• HeyHarriet

Tracy from HeyHarriet said 7 years ago

Thanks Etsy Video Team! You make the most beautiful little films! I always enjoy them!

• ClosetGothic

Janne Perry from ClosetGothic said 7 years ago

A gorgeous little interlude in my day, a reminder that I'm on the right track. What a great video team - thank you

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery said 7 years ago

What a beautiful video♥

• realfaery

realfaery from realfaery said 7 years ago

Yay, it is really exciting! THanks for sharing your "how - to - make":)

• Parachute425

Terry from Parachute425 said 7 years ago

Really enjoy the video features. Keep 'em comin'!! My daughter is a producer and I so love to see them employed.

• mentalembellisher

Mental from mentalembellisher said 7 years ago

I've always loved the video features, delighted to see the team in the limelight! ✾

• BraceletstoBuckles

Linda from BraceletstoBuckles said 7 years ago

This is the first time I have looked at the videos. Lovely to see all of the hard work behind the scenes. Although I sell from the UK it made me feel more a part of Etsy .

• tonyaboezi

tonya boezi from tonyaboezi said 7 years ago

These handmade portrait series are beautifully done. Bravo to everyone involved. I am so inspired by Alabama Chanin's story. What a wonderful way to help her little hometown.

• riskybeads

Lori from riskybeads said 7 years ago

I'm always amazed at the videos you guys produce!

• PurePalette

Usa from PurePalette said 7 years ago

Very nice and inspiring.

• selkiecrochet

Rosemary from SelkieCrochet said 7 years ago

fab!

• PetiteCo

Vanessa from PetiteCo said 7 years ago

love!

• GatheringSplendor

Ellen from GatheringSplendor said 7 years ago

This should be quite wonderful...

• nicandthenewfie

nicola armster from nicandthenewfie said 7 years ago

i always look forward to the handmade portrait series because i know it's going to be an artistic view of an artist. it's a great form of expression that etsy provides- a view or our peers in motion!

• apollinerei

Jess Wilson from thepolymertwist said 7 years ago

Excellent :)

• Mclovebuddy

Mr. Sal Phan, Bichon Frise from Mclovebuddy said 7 years ago

i do like the portraits. the irony is that in some respects etsy is all smoke and mirrors. it's kind of sickening artists suck up to them.

• vinylclockwork

Scott from vinylclockwork said 7 years ago

Gotta LOVE Etsy and all it stands for Great Job

• ThePeachTree

Amy Barta from ThePeachTree said 7 years ago

Amazing!!

• atamadindyal

atama Dindyal from Mommyandmeboutiquega said 7 years ago

WOW, i actually never thought to see my self in that vision of portrayal. I always assumed that i was just a little stay-home mom that crafts full time. never a freelancer, or even making a difference with many of my recycled art work. Thank you for sharing this amazing video.

• BackyardBrand

Jim McLean from BackyardBrand said 7 years ago

a picture is worth a thousand words. A moving picture, with sound... a million, maybe more.

• treasurebooth

Kelly from treasurebooth said 7 years ago

What about the music? I've been wondering about that for ages. Where do they find the music for the handmade portrait videos?

• LanaBanana

Lana Frankel from LanasShop said 7 years ago

incredible all you do! thank you

• FavreBijoux

Mimi from FavreBijoux said 7 years ago

Nicely made. If you need a seasoned jeweler, I'm available!!

• labellefairy

labellefairy from LaBelleFairy said 7 years ago

love them!

• swipxa

Tony from SwipxaPapercut said 7 years ago

amazing weapons,

• weirdwolf Admin

Tara Young from kinfolks said 7 years ago

Thank you everyone for your unending support! @JulieMeyer Here's the link to the artisanal football video. http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2011/stitching-the-artisanal-football/ @treasurebooth You can find the music credits for Handmade Portraits at the end of each video and links to musicians websites within the blog posts. We're always on the lookout for great music! Feel free to send suggestions our way.

• agfish

Amanda Fish from agfish said 7 years ago

I love Etsy...It makes me happy because it takes me all over the world, to places I might never see, but yet not only do I meet the artists and culture, but i get to appreciate their art and share it with my family and in my life...Thank you etsy and the artists that are part of it :) Cheers!!

• TheOologist

TheOologist from TheOologist said 7 years ago

Great read!

• SwankTownCouture

SwankTownCouture from SwankTownCouture said 7 years ago

Awesome job! Wonderful video!

• SusanFaye

Susan Faye from SusanFayePetProjects said 7 years ago

I love these videos, and "sumptuous vignettes of creativity" describes them perfectly! I love that phrase so much that my new goal is for my Etsy shop to become a "sumptuous vignette of creativity." What could be better?

• emilybidwell Admin

Emily Bidwell from emilybidwell said 7 years ago

Awesome! I heart the video team. <3

• sheilasart

Sheila Sullivan-Corbitt from sheilasart said 7 years ago

Loved this video! one of my favorite things that showcase the people of etsy.

• needleandfelt

Amy from needleandfelt said 7 years ago

It was so nice to take a peek behind what you all do. I love the 'handmade portrait series'. I feel you capture the artist's story in such a beautiful way. They have a positive impact and inspire me. Thank you and nice to meet you!

• lovelyfeverboutique

Jessica from LovelyFever said 7 years ago

I have really been enjoying the "handmade portrait series". It brings a whole new dimension to Etsy and look forward to seeing more. They always have an artistic touch in the film making itself. So nice to see a background video about it!

• nancynelsonjewelry

Nancy from nancynelsonjewelry said 7 years ago

Awesome!

• ZiBagz

Lisa Zinza from ZiBagz said 7 years ago

Bravo .. to you Etsy for all your hard work and to all the artisans who make Etsy ---► Etsy ........... ♥♥

• BrokenRecordBoutique

Anna from BrokenRecordBoutique said 7 years ago

<3 this! Thanks so much!

• RedorGrayArt

Elaine Kean from RedorGrayArt said 7 years ago

one of my favorite parts of etsy ..the videos! happy to see behind the scenes!

• caralunastudio

caralunastudio from caralunastudio said 7 years ago

Wonderful to see a glimpse at the talent behind the often touching and always artistic Handmade Portrait series!

• SpiritedWoodland

Roxie Zwicker from SpiritedWoodland said 7 years ago

I never miss a video! It has been a long time favorite feature for me. Thank you team for opening the window of the world to reveal the stories and creativity that I didn't know about.

• frezeart

Ramune Freze from FrezeArt said 7 years ago

Love this video.. It's sweet and lovely :) Somehow didn't know about etsy.tv I'll definitely look at them right now!