Tech Update: August 2011 Site Performance Report

Aug 31, 2011

by sethwalker

As I mentioned in my last post, we’re going to share some of the measurements we’ve been taking in regard to site performance. In this post, we’ll focus on one particular aspect: the time it takes for our servers to assemble a page.

Page generation time is an important metric to look at for a number of reasons. For one, it is the only piece of the content delivery puzzle that is completely under our control. There are a good many systems that sit between a visitor to our site and our servers, including your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the backbone routers of the Internet. While there are some services we can use to help mitigate connection issues between your browser and our servers, we cannot eliminate them entirely. While the page is being cobbled together on our servers, we have a lot more control over how we spend our time. Secondly, the amount of time on our servers is a minimum threshold for how fast we can get the page into your browser in a usable state. As we’ll talk about in another post, the majority of the time it takes for the browser to fully display the page happens after it has been delivered, but it certainly can’t be any less than the time it takes to download the page in the first place.

Every one of our pages is dynamically generated for every request — they’re all unique! And one of a kind! Each page for a signed-in member contains some personalized information, such as how many items are in your Activity Feed and how many unread convos you have. If you are looking at a shop or listing page, we must decide whether or not you have favorited that shop or listing. Some pages, like the home page and Activity Feed, are highly personalized. In general, the more information displayed on a page, and the more unique the information on a page is, the more time it will take to assemble that page.

We can calculate page generation time for any page on the site, but in order to focus on the pages that matter most, we’ve been paying close attention to a few key pages that are especially core to the Etsy experience. The pages we’ll be reporting on today are listings, shops, search, the home page and member profile, and are all for signed-in members only.

The numbers in the following chart are the number of milliseconds required to generate each type of page for the average and 95th percentile of visitors on Tuesday, August 2, a day that was pretty representative of the average weekday for Etsy.

On average, our servers can generate a listing page in a little over a blink of an eye, and for the great majority of requests in less than two eye blinks. That’s great, because the listing page is by far the most frequently viewed page on the site.

As you can see, the home page for a signed-in member takes more time to generate than any other in the list: just over a second, on average. It’s highly personalized with Taste Test suggestions and other items you might like. While we feel this content is valuable to members and worth some extra time to build, the time to generate homepage currently falls outside of the limit of what we feel is acceptable. We’ll be targeting this page specifically for improvement over the coming weeks.

We’ll be back in a few months to give you an update on these numbers and to dive into another area of site performance. See you then!

2 Featured Comments

• SEOWebDesign

SEOWebDesign said 7 years ago Featured

As a left-brained person who works with Web design, i have been very impressed with the amount and variety of dynamic content that is generated for each seller/user in no time at all. The quick response time/download speed is so deceptive - it all looks so simple and effortless. There is a lot of planning, designing and technical know-how that goes into making it look so simple and easy. Nice work, Etsy techs.

• Travelher

Travelher said 7 years ago Featured

It's amazing how we as users never stop to think about what work is going on behind the scene. And yet without that hard labour nothing happens. Thanks Seth for this explenation. I will never take it for granted again!

• AliceCloset

AliceCloset said 7 years ago

Really interesting!! Thanks Seth :D

• sparksoffire

sparksoffire said 7 years ago

Lovely photo. If only it was available to buy on Etsy.. oh hey! It is! From me! http://www.etsy.com/listing/80597397/new-york-photo-hurricane-irene But on the topic of the post: I've wondered why you have both 'Taste test' recommendations above the treasury and 'You might like' below it. They often seem to overlap. I know the latter is more a feed from people I have faved before but it's not highly relevant to me. Perhaps you could offer users the chance to decide whether they want certain features on the homepage....

• bananastrudel

bananastrudel said 7 years ago

Thanks for the update, Seth. I did notice that the pages do load a lot faster. I've also noticed that I can now load higher resolution photos, unlike before when I'd get an annoying message telling me the files were too big! Props to you and your team.

• Iammie

Iammie said 7 years ago

Thank you.

• allthingswhite

allthingswhite said 7 years ago

amazing !!!

• mylenefoster

mylenefoster said 7 years ago

Thank you for the technical information. It is mind blowing how technology works.

• paramountvintage

paramountvintage said 7 years ago

haha, cute comment from sparksoffire. thanks for the tech update seth!

• funkomavintage

funkomavintage said 7 years ago

since I lived, um decades, without the internetz tubes of info, I am amazed at how darn fast I get what I need in this little box on my lap. Thanks for the update report.....and again, I say, Awesome sunglasses ! those are the reason I love to find, hoard and sell Vintage.... ;-)

• salvageshop

salvageshop said 7 years ago

thank you....i am loving all this behind the scenes info :)

• MootiDesigns

MootiDesigns said 7 years ago

Great post. Thank you

• Earleyimages

Earleyimages said 7 years ago

Great info here

• TheIDconnection

TheIDconnection said 7 years ago

Thanks Seth, I've noticed things are bit faster. Monica

• tarikyousef

tarikyousef said 7 years ago

Good to learn more on the inner workings of Etsy!

• MegansMenagerie

MegansMenagerie said 7 years ago

Great post! Thank you for sharing! =)

• SewBeastly

SewBeastly said 7 years ago

Great info! Thanx!

• beliz82

beliz82 said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info :)

• CassiasGarden

CassiasGarden said 7 years ago

Thank you! I never really thought about the time the page loads, but have wondered at the complexities. You guys are gurus as far as I am concerned!

• roundbutsquare

roundbutsquare said 7 years ago

Great to know! Thanks!

• Avaricia

Avaricia said 7 years ago

Thanks for the hard work. several times this week when discussing other venues I said "yeah, but compare that to the Etsy home page". you are the gold standard.

• birdie1

birdie1 said 7 years ago

Fascinating info!

• hoopdaloop

hoopdaloop said 7 years ago

Yes you are great! Every once in a while, I notice that it takes me moving around to a couple of pages before my activity alert bubble pops up. Just a comment... you guys are wonderful and do awesome work for supporting handmade! Thanks for concentrating so much on the techy stuff. It helps us SO much.

• Parachute425

Parachute425 said 7 years ago

Seth - this is why they pay you the big bucks, right? I have no idea what you just said but I would rather give up my indoor bathroom than my fast internet connection.

• Waterrose

Waterrose said 7 years ago

And I thought it was the man standing behind the curtain!

• bhangtiez

bhangtiez said 7 years ago

Great info, thanks so much for sharing & helping us better understand it all =)

• shellsherree

shellsherree said 7 years ago

Thanks very much for the insights, Seth. Not sure that I fully grasp it, but it sounds like great work is being done behind the scenes for us.

• sparksoffire

sparksoffire said 7 years ago

I'm doing some guessing on where the issues are with the page load times for the front page. The Treasury is cached and only changes once an hour (with updates when / if something sells), so shouldn't be a great drag. It's the three constantly changing areas which likely lead to the issues: "Items Matching Your Taste", "You Might Like", and "Recently Listed". I *never* look at the last of these and I'd be happy to see it disappear - but I can imagine that others like seeing new things and that there's a desire at Etsy to promote the newest content. "You Might Like" is interesting but rarely interests me. Of course, you'll know from click-through stats how often this is being used and how often it leads to sales but for me, you could drop that. Taste test results are interesting, if only for making treasuries. It's nice having them up there but I know they annoy others. So what this comes down to for me is what I said in the earlier comment up there: customise. You could drop "Recently Listed" and "You Might Like" for me. Or, have them there ready as something I could uncover if I wished, and *then* make the calls and load them in. Others might not be interested in Taste Test results. The ability to decide what I want on the homepage would reduce my load times and reduce drag on your servers and databases having to calculate what I "Might Like", for instance, when I really don't care about that.

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat said 7 years ago

I agree with sparksoffire, if our personalised versions of the frontpage were able to be customised to suit ourselve then many of us would cut out the parts we don't need or never look at. Not knowing anything about the techie side of it, I'm not sure if it would help with the timing though... Anyhow, you guys are AWESOME & thank you so much for putting in all the hard work so we sellers can actually sell enough stuff to pay the bills! :-)

• Mclovebuddy

Mclovebuddy said 7 years ago

that's quite fantastic. i'm not sure i'm really down with with highly personalized fp - the tt results, the "you might like" (and, though not on the same page, but still relevent, "new items from your fav shops"). there's too much social engineering going on there and i seriously doubt that it's all algorithm generated just like the fp treasuries.

• cranstone

cranstone said 7 years ago

Pretty cool. Let me know if you're interested in a Mobile HAR report of your web site. I just ran a test in real time south of Denver, Co using Sprints network. It took 14.36 seconds to load the page. Not bad for 3/4MB of data. Cheers, Peter 3P Mobile

• gonemetal

gonemetal said 7 years ago

Updates like these are always appreciated!

• stevenjameskeathley

stevenjameskeathley said 7 years ago

Thanks for the behind the scenes tour, Seth!

• auntemilie

auntemilie said 7 years ago

For a technology challeneged person ~ I wish I knew what it all meant. In any event, thank you for sharing.

• newhopebeading

newhopebeading said 7 years ago

thanks for sharing... love that picture ;)

• Ebrown2503

Ebrown2503 said 7 years ago

Fast is good.

• paleorama

paleorama said 7 years ago

Interesting!!!

• UniqueDesignedJewels

UniqueDesignedJewels said 7 years ago

Thanks for the tech update :)... Marking to read later!

• crochetgal

crochetgal said 7 years ago

Thanks for the 'behind the scenes' information Seth. There is magic behind that curtain!

• jamiespinello

jamiespinello said 7 years ago

Yay! Thanks for posting. Is there a behind the scenes for the August sales vs. views report somewhere? Link it please if there is. Much appreciated.

• birdsongbows

birdsongbows said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing this info!

• AnnaCreates

AnnaCreates said 7 years ago

I'll have to read this carefully later tonight when I have time to focus on it- looking forward to understanding more about our little world! Thanks Seth!

• riskybeads

riskybeads said 7 years ago

thanks!

• Cutetreats

Cutetreats said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing :D

• GwenDelicious

GwenDelicious said 7 years ago

thank you!!

• LovelyLuxeJewels

LovelyLuxeJewels said 7 years ago

Interesting article. I need to re-read it again when I have not had several glasses of wine.

• uncljohn

uncljohn said 7 years ago

I thought I saw something behind the curtain there when the dog shown in an update on relevancy search was pulling on something. I guess it wasn't the wizard. Thanks for the informaiton. It was interesting. I wish to add to some one elses suggestion as to things that annoy and take time on the signed in home page. The taste test that I flat dislike and it'associated You Might Like which I don't.

• LynnesThisandThat

LynnesThisandThat said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing, although I have no idea what you're talking about. My fault...I just learned that a modem and a router are not one and the same. So embarrassing. But if you can find a way to get my housework done at record-speed it would be appreciated. Seriously, thanks for sharing.

• OnceUponAGem

OnceUponAGem said 7 years ago

Nice read. Thanks for the tech update.... :)

• livjewellery

livjewellery said 7 years ago

Thanks Seth!

• crazycouture

crazycouture said 7 years ago

A+++

• BlueLaceVintage

BlueLaceVintage said 7 years ago

Thanks for letting us in on this! Very much appreciated here.

• betsybensen

betsybensen said 7 years ago

I'd be more than willing to let go of taste test and things you might like on my home page. Move them to the activity page if you must, and get rid of one of them if you can. They seem redundant. A less cluttered homepage loads faster and is more appealing. Two pluses...

• alterdesigns

alterdesigns said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info

• botanicalbird

botanicalbird said 7 years ago

Awesome....thanks for the info!

• IndulgentDesigns

IndulgentDesigns said 7 years ago

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

• missprettyperfect

missprettyperfect said 7 years ago

Thanks for the information!

• torik2009

torik2009 said 7 years ago

Thanks for the report! Very interesting!!

• MidwestAlchemy

MidwestAlchemy said 7 years ago

Interesting...

• FantasticDIY

FantasticDIY said 7 years ago

like this post. I didn't know the front page takes the longest time. Thank you seth.

• Stephaniemakesall

Stephaniemakesall said 7 years ago

where's my "like" button???? seriously, out of all the sites I visit, etsy's got to be the fastest. Thanks for the update, and the forum notification

• VillaCollezione

VillaCollezione said 7 years ago

wow! interesting behind-the-scenes info! thanks!

• CarriersCozyCottage

CarriersCozyCottage said 7 years ago

Thank you for sharing. It is nice to see some of the work that goes on behind the scenes. ♥

• Lambsears

Lambsears said 7 years ago

Thank you for keeping us updated.

• EnchantedQuilling

EnchantedQuilling said 7 years ago

I too love peeping behind the scenes of what is happening on etsy, not that I understand all of it lol!

• kskjewelrydesigns

kskjewelrydesigns said 7 years ago

Very interesting & those shades make me smile! I'm thrilled with the load time, but would like to add my voice to those who want control over the more dynamic aspects of the front page. At times I really prefer a less cluttered front page, while at others I'm very interested in what the taste test & 'you might like' sections hold. With those functions turned off for a number of people at a time, I'd imagine load times overall would be reduced. Thanks much for the info, Seth, looking forward to the next installment!

• OhFaro

OhFaro said 7 years ago

Thank you Seth.

• happyfamily

happyfamily said 7 years ago

This is a great feature! Thank you for sharing, it's crazy the amount of hard work that goes into this site!

• AeridesDesigns

AeridesDesigns said 7 years ago

I'm a techie "IRL" but I hadn't really thought about this - Etsy is doing a pretty good job with displaying so much dynamic content on the fly.

• Dressumups

Dressumups said 7 years ago

Thanks so much for the update and for giving us a look at what goes into every click on the site. It is really great to know just some of the hard work that goes. Thanks Again

• kgarnerdesigns

kgarnerdesigns said 7 years ago

Interesting! Thank you :D

• AgelessThings

AgelessThings said 7 years ago

I too am willing to give up the taste test, which I never take. Also things I might like, which really are thing that I do like, because they are already in my favorites. Neither of these features thrill me. But I do check the treasury on the front page a few times a day and enjoy that Thanks for the quick load up!

• Lisolabella

Lisolabella said 7 years ago

Nice to know what goes on behind the scenes!

• SEOWebDesign

SEOWebDesign said 7 years ago Featured

• SpiceofLifeDesigns

SpiceofLifeDesigns said 7 years ago

Thanks for the insight - Just wondering, does google still penalize websites based on load times? I'll add my voice to those that would not mind seeing 'you might like' disappear... it's so redundant of the shops I've already added to my favorites that I'd rather just see the new items from favorites in my activity feed instead. The one feature of 'you might like' that I DO like is the ability to remove an item if we don't really like it! I really wish there was something similar on the taste test results - which I enjoy, but would prefer to have moved below the FP treasury where 'you might like' is now.

• WillOaksStudio

WillOaksStudio said 7 years ago

Very interesting to see "behind the page!". I had no idea--I just know Etsy looks good & seems fast! Thanks Seth

• ElainaLouiseStudios

ElainaLouiseStudios said 7 years ago

Neat info!

• ElainaLouiseStudios

ElainaLouiseStudios said 7 years ago

I'd like to see the FP treasury at the top of the FP as well. Taste test is fun every now and then, but it dosen't usually have the wow factor of the treasury. I also like the idea of moving the "you might like" section to the Activity Feed.

• Travelher

Travelher said 7 years ago Featured

• BizzieLizzie

BizzieLizzie said 7 years ago

Thanks so much, Seth! Well written!

• EvenAndy

EvenAndy said 7 years ago

Thanks so very much for sharing the information!

• grimmandgrete

grimmandgrete said 7 years ago

Thanks for the update, I'm interested to see what changes will come for the home page!

• MysticSilks

MysticSilks said 7 years ago

Not sure what all the technical jargon is, but as long as it works to benefit both sellers and buyers, I'll have some---:)

• KKCollectibleCollage

KKCollectibleCollage said 7 years ago

Interesting..Fast...I'm glad you guys are doing it and not me. Thanks for the good work.

• DaffodilCorner

DaffodilCorner said 7 years ago

If you would let me remove the damn taste test from my home page, I bet it would load faster

• SimplyMaco

SimplyMaco said 7 years ago

It means: The little gnomes in the big Etsy machines have to run around checking your account to see if you hearted an item or shop, then they go tell the head gnome "ok, here's what we found" and the head gnome builds a page tailored to you. Those numbers measure how long the gnomes take. The part that Seth is saying they can't control because of "your ISP" and "the backbone" is how long it takes the dragons to fly the page to you. And the part about how long it takes your browser to display is how long the elves in your computer take painting a picture of the page onto your screen after the dragons bring it over. Get it?

• SimplyMaco

SimplyMaco said 7 years ago

WAHHH Etsy: y u no linebreaks?!

• NelHutch

NelHutch said 7 years ago

In ECommeerceBytes (Ina Steiner)... Etsy published some site performance data in a blog post yesterday and said it would be concentrating on improving the page-load time of its home page over the coming weeks. The accompanying chart shows page-load times for listings, shops, search, the home page and member profile - the time it takes for each of the pages to laod for members who are signed-in to the site. The numbers in the chart are the number of milliseconds required to generate each type of page for the average and 95th percentile of visitors on Tuesday, August 2nd. August 2nd? A month ago and way before this relevancy criteria was put in place. Etsy will have less sales and less income for the month of August, I am wiling to bet on that. Seth Walker, one of Esy's software

• NelHutch

NelHutch said 7 years ago

Edited to remove the nme of the software engineer who should not be at the end of my post. In ECommeerceBytes (Ina Steiner)... Etsy published some site performance data in a blog post yesterday and said it would be concentrating on improving the page-load time of its home page over the coming weeks. The accompanying chart shows page-load times for listings, shops, search, the home page and member profile - the time it takes for each of the pages to laod for members who are signed-in to the site. The numbers in the chart are the number of milliseconds required to generate each type of page for the average and 95th percentile of visitors on Tuesday, August 2nd. August 2nd? A month ago and way before this relevancy criteria was put in place. Etsy will have less sales and less income for the month of August, I am wiling to bet on that!

• ElunaJewelry

ElunaJewelry said 7 years ago

Interesting report.

• YESTERDAYTRUNK

YESTERDAYTRUNK said 7 years ago

shrugging....

• yoyocottage

yoyocottage said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info!

• PottyMouthGems

PottyMouthGems said 7 years ago

Thanks for the report, Seth! Seems to work like magic. That said..Thanks for the easy to understand explanation, SimplyMaco!!

• FeatherMagic

FeatherMagic said 7 years ago

The site is fast and it runs great, considering the number of users logged on at one time, good job.

• RareDesign

RareDesign said 7 years ago

keep up the good work!

• TheZestyDesk

TheZestyDesk said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing!

• patrickmeenan

patrickmeenan said 7 years ago

400ms is a bit high for the back-end time (at least from what I'm used to seeing, even for highly dynamic sites). 100-200ms is usually a good number on traditional architectures but with SSD's, newer systems and asynchronous servers, <50ms averages are achievable.

• patrickmeenan

patrickmeenan said 7 years ago

btw, thanks for sharing the data. Awesome to get more comparative points out there.

• compassionmalas

compassionmalas said 7 years ago

It's great to hear that page loading time is always being improved. A lot of the rest of it I didn't understand. Thanks to SimplyMaco for the excellent explanation about dragons painting the page in our computers. Visuals always help.

• twoknit

twoknit said 7 years ago

Thanks !!! Marking to read later.

• TheHickoryTree

TheHickoryTree said 7 years ago

Taking it all in Seth. Thanks for the update.

• RoughMagicCreations

RoughMagicCreations said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I need to study this more, but I'm adding my name to those who would like to see taste test and you might like disappear from the FP.

• preciouselaine

preciouselaine said 7 years ago

What were the number before? How much of an improvement has this been compared to the amount of time spent on it? Was a sample taken, or is the average of every page (of the particular type) that loaded that day. What constitutes representative? That is only the tip of my questions. :) Sorry but those numbers don't tell me much as they are, and curious as to the ROI on it, especially considering other areas of site performance that might need improvement. Thanks!

• Way2Cool

Way2Cool said 7 years ago

Hey Seth..very cool glasses ;) Did you buy them on Etsy? wink, wink. Thanks for your post of info!

• VintageAndVictorian

VintageAndVictorian said 7 years ago

Seth, I'm sure glad it's speedy and fast on your end of the line. It's been slower than molasses here on my end ALL day today. This is a payday weekend which always generates sales. Sales and views are nil today, and I can only assume it's because the site has been so excruciatingly slow. Fix it, please. It's hurting business.

• CinfulOldies

CinfulOldies said 7 years ago

Really interesting info. Fascinating to get a peek into the operational pieces of this amazing Etsy Organization.

• nellsvintagehouse

nellsvintagehouse said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing. :)

• thelostrooms

thelostrooms said 7 years ago

Yes, very interesting hmmm. I have to agree with VintageAndVictorian though, last night (Friday) was annoyingly slow. Actually, amazingly slow. And alas, I'm also on the side of "taste test" removal as well as "you might like" But it's okay if they stay, I've learned how to navigate around them.

• LoriMarie

LoriMarie said 7 years ago

Thanks for Sharing the Info !!

• TidBitz

TidBitz said 7 years ago

Mind boggling to say the least!

• MetalRocks

MetalRocks said 7 years ago

Wow! There's so much going on that I didn't even think about. Interesting to say the least. :-) Thanks - I look forward to more. :-)

• 51VC

51VC said 7 years ago

I'm going to have to take your word for it! *scratches head * I thank you on behalf of us that have no idea how you do what you do, that you work that hard for us anyhow :)

• woolguy

woolguy said 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing this - much appreciated. I have to agree with patrickmeenan, in that the compile times seem rather high, especially for the home page. And while what happens outside your boarder routers is beyond your complete control, I hope you are not discounting the influence you have. Again, thank you for the insight - I appreciate it, and hope this is the first of many yet to come.

• nicetoy

nicetoy said 7 years ago

It's cool~

• OliviaClare

OliviaClare said 7 years ago

Great info, Mahalo Seth!

• Whimsybags

Whimsybags said 7 years ago

Senior systems integrator here. Your performance tests mean precisely nothing if you can't get five 9s for availability. You claim you're big on metrics. There's only one that matters: uptime. This is the problem with companies that do "fun" things and worry about image. You should drop the kids running the show, and get some old school systems engineers to fix your servers. Otherwise, as a service, your cool blog items mean NOTHING.

• Celticcatphotos

Celticcatphotos said 7 years ago

Thank You for the info!

• KitKatCabaret

KitKatCabaret said 7 years ago

possibly my fred flinstone computer has issues yet I have had troubles with the treasuires and with loading of listing images

• preciouselaine

preciouselaine said 7 years ago

Whismey.....that's where I was coming as an analyst. Glad to see someone else looking at it the same way.

• lilinspirations

lilinspirations said 7 years ago

Thank you for sharing! The Etsy site is fast!

• CreativeCoasterChick

CreativeCoasterChick said 7 years ago

Gracias!

• deepfried

deepfried said 7 years ago

Very cool... parachute haha absolutely agree! :) xo

• denises72

denises72 said 7 years ago

Thank you Seth! Great job.

• juln

juln said 7 years ago

Etsy has always had pretty good performance, in my experience, as far as image and page load speed. Other than some slow searches like 3 years ago, I've never had enough of a problem with the performance of the site to feel like we need a report on it. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the software side of things here.

• FleeceAndFibre

FleeceAndFibre said 7 years ago

Thanks Seth. Not up on the Teckno stuff but it sure sounds like you are doing an awsome job of looking after us all. Am just a newbie so still finding my way around. Feel a little bit like Little Bo Peep Who Lost Her Sheep!!

• madhousedesign

madhousedesign said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info!

• dew24710

dew24710 said 7 years ago

Thanks Seth!

• paulbead

paulbead said 7 years ago

These tech updates are very important,

• cicrafts

cicrafts said 7 years ago

Don't ignore "the man behind the curtain". He has all the answers.

• DesignsbyDebbieKay

Deborah Kay Linard from DesignsbyDebbieKay said 6 years ago

I'm satisfied with how quickly pages load. How difficult would it be to make it possible to rotate a pic on the page we fill in when listing an item?