Notes From Chad

Nov 18, 2011

by Chad Dickerson

As I write this, the Etsy community has collectively had its four highest sales days in history, all in a row. Congratulations to the community for this success: what an awesome start to the peak holiday season! We are expecting more people to visit Etsy than ever before and we have never been better prepared to welcome the surge of holiday shoppers. Over the past few months, we’ve taken a much deeper look at what brings people to Etsy and how we can keep them coming back. I wanted to share some of that information with you, as well as how we are using what we’ve learned to make Etsy sellers more successful, particularly with our email and mobile products.

We know that Etsy sellers work incredibly hard promoting their shops, and we have been putting features in place to help make that easier, like the Facebook and Twitter shop integration we recently rolled out. Bringing buyers to Etsy is a team effort, and sellers and Etsy Admin are all part of that team.

This team mentality has always been part of the spirit of the Etsy community. In the early days of Etsy, sellers formed local “street teams” to help each other spread the collective word about their shops. There are now thousands of teams around the world, meeting in real life and using Etsy Teams to organize and help one another. In the Teams Forums, sellers give pricing advice, shop critiques, and general encouragement. In the Etsy community, as with life in general, when people band together, the bonds of community grow stronger.

Giving sellers the tools to collaborate and promote their own shops is important, and we know we need to do our part. For a long time, sellers have been asking Etsy to do more marketing, and we have been carefully studying the most effective ways to help bring buyers to Etsy. To put it simply, results from email far eclipse nearly any other form of marketing we have tried. Aside from Google and Facebook, the number one way people find their way to Etsy is via newsletters from us, like Etsy Finds, Gifts, Weddings, Dudes, and Fashion emails.  People who come to Etsy via these emails spend twice as much time exploring Etsy as other visitors.

Knowing what we do about the power of email, this holiday season we are sending customized emails to Etsy members who have not recently made a purchase, with the intention to bring them back to Etsy. The goal of these emails is really simple: to encourage members who haven’t been to Etsy in a while to come back and shop for the holidays. If we bring them back for the holidays, we think they will come back in the future and visit many more shops in the process. In fact, our data shows that shoppers spend twice as much on second purchases as they do on their first — so bringing them back is key!

These emails will have different types of content, depending on a member’s last purchase or general interests. All together, these emails will feature tens of thousands of items from sellers throughout the Etsy marketplace, including the member’s most recent purchase, for those who have bought from an Etsy seller before. Encouraging folks to come back to Etsy this holiday season is good for the community and the marketplace. We’re looking forward to welcoming back old friends to Etsy and reintroducing them to the many amazing and beautiful things in Etsy shops.

Our new marketing efforts go beyond email. This holiday season will also be the year of shopping on mobile devices, and Etsy will be in the thick of it. We recently released Etsy’s official app for the iPhone (the iPhone is by far the most popular platform for visitors to Etsy). Since the beginning of 2011, traffic to Etsy on mobile devices has doubled, and overall sales on mobile devices have doubled, too. If you don’t have an iPhone and are an Android user (and I am, personally), be sure to check out the mobile website, where we’ve optimized the key pages for purchasing. Whether downloading the Etsy iPhone app or accessing our mobile website, on-the-go shoppers will be able to buy from Etsy sellers anywhere this holiday season.

I hope our work with email and mobile products will bring more success to more Etsy sellers than ever before this holiday season. Here’s to your success!

• peaseblossomstudio

peaseblossomstudio said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update Chad! Looking forward to a wonderful Christmas shopping season on Etsy!

• TheBloomingThread

TheBloomingThread said 5 years ago

loving the new facebook and twitter integration, but what I would really love is a blog link! thats my most active social platform for my shop and Id love to see more of other shops blogs more than their facebooks. but as a shop owner, super appreciate all the updates and marketing research youre doing!

• AnyOldTime

AnyOldTime said 5 years ago

Chad, we are forbidden to ask for shop critiques in the forums. That category was removed a long time ago. Whenever I respond to someone asking for a crit, I worry I will get in trouble for responding to a thread that is no longer Etsy legal in the forums. Or are you going to revive Critiques in the forums?

• loopyboopy

loopyboopy said 5 years ago

• ThisCharmingCandy

ThisCharmingCandy said 5 years ago

Bring on the holiday rush! woo hoo!

• Gypsymoondesigns

Gypsymoondesigns said 5 years ago

Exciting news! Thanks Chad for the communication.

• happyhound

happyhound said 5 years ago

Thank you Chad! I personally do not use Twitter, Facebook or have an IPhone, nor do any of my friends (many have I-phones, but do not use them for shopping). Are you looking into more traditional ways to reach the buying public that are not aware of Etsy to try and get them to visit? Thank you in advance!

• OnceUponAGem

OnceUponAGem said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update....

• lynntodddesigns

lynntodddesigns said 5 years ago

It's all good in my opinion

• AliceCloset

AliceCloset said 5 years ago

Thanks Chad! I am working hard for my shop: pics,new items,descriptions,titles,tags,prices,etc... And I really appreciated the new facebook and twitter integration!! That's fantastic! I have more fans now on my Facebook fanpage :D

• organikx

organikx said 5 years ago

No mention of etsy's idea to spam our transaction emails? Please addresss this huge concern and let us know you've been listening to us and what your plans are with that particular idea. I also have some concern with "To put it simply, results from email far eclipse nearly any other form of marketing we have tried." Of course, because people who've signed up for the emails already have a vested interest in shopping etsy. So it makes sense. And the "nearly all other forms of marketing we have tried"... well, if no real marketing or advertising has ever been done to attract buyers, then it doesn't really take much to best that form of marketing, right? It's great to see etsy growing as it is. But when the growing has largely occured due to the work the sellers have done advertising and bringing in customers to the site and etsy simply rides along on their backs by spamming the transaction emails, it's probably more appropo to congratulate the sellers on their hard work and dedication than to sting them by taking all the credit for it.

• sewingamity

sewingamity said 5 years ago

OK, email marketing is great for shoppers who are already familiar with Etsy. There's no way to email people who have never been here. I think what most shop owners have been asking for as far as marketing is to reach out to people who have never heard of Etsy before. I guess that's still on us.

• lv2cr8

lv2cr8 said 5 years ago

Wow that is great stats. Thanks for the update on the new marketing. Perhaps advertising will be the next step Etsy does.

• somethingxtraspecial

somethingxtraspecial said 5 years ago

You know when you read a 'spin'? sorry but that's how I've read this, in light of the etsy idea to add a newsletter promotion note to our transaction emails - that never got answered correctly, and the thread got closed down. Written the way it has been above of course sounds wonderful and amazing and fabulous and that etsy is listening to the sellers requests. Sellers mostly (from that very very long thread that got closed down) do not want their transaction emails intercepted with promotion ideas for other shops, yet the very cleverly marketed way the above has been written, and the way it will be read by many who don't know of the other thread, will mean this post will get a huge thumbs up of 'Thanks Chad for listening to us' - I would like however for the other issue to be listened to and answered more though, rather than 'spin' of how fabulous etsy is. Oh and could I just add my own experience? my marketing on my own website far outweighs buying results than newsletters, far far far outweighs results! So, maybe a little ad on TV, or a little google ad word marketing might still not go amiss.

• LazyTcrochet

LazyTcrochet said 5 years ago

It sure has been exciting around here lately! Thanks for the updates, Chad.

• BlackForestCottage

BlackForestCottage said 5 years ago

Now Chad, this sounds like a great idea. I also see that you removed the you might like at the checkout stage, instead offering them to continue shopping. This is a great idea, so not to take away from the seller who brought the buyer in, in the first place. Thanks for listening to your concerns regarding that matter.

• TidBitz

TidBitz said 5 years ago

I appreciate all the advances being made to bring back customers and make shopping convenient, but have to agree with others on wanting to bring in NEW customers and explore other ways of marketing besides emails. Lots of folks ignore commercial emails. How 'bout TV, radio, or print ads? Record sales should also equal record earnings for Etsy. Why not "invest" some of the profits into those mediums with the possibility of doubling the investment? You have to spend money to make money and while paying an employee to write and create the emails costs money, I would think that there would be a better return if a wider audience were reached. Just my friendly $0.02!

• VillaCollezione

VillaCollezione said 5 years ago

i feel the excitement building up! bring it on! & thanks Chad!

• jhfabriccreations

jhfabriccreations said 5 years ago

I agree that you need to target people who have never heard of Etsy before and bring them in. There are lots of them just waiting to discover us. :)

• SimpleJoysPaperie

SimpleJoysPaperie said 5 years ago

What an encouraging article! I've seen sales pick up for the last several weeks and although I'm not sure if it's due to the holiday season or Etsy's new promotional features, I am thankful regardless. :)

• JemmDeeCreations

JemmDeeCreations said 5 years ago

All your hard work is truly appreciated! Thanks for all you do :)

• sarantos

sarantos said 5 years ago

Serious shoppers start buying in September for the holidays. It would be nice if etsy marketed to people who had never heard of etsy. Not just to sellers who never heard of etsy but potential buyers who have never heard of etsy. Many people have still never heard of etsy.

• CRYSTALDUST

CRYSTALDUST said 5 years ago

This will be my first time here on etsy the holidays and I hope my sales are good. Thank you for everything you are doing to bring our customers back, and for all the new customers we are going to get : - )

• SEOWebDesign

SEOWebDesign said 5 years ago

Etsy is keeping up with popular technology. Outstanding. Statistically, the average age of an Etsy shopper is early 20s - someone who is more likely to be using iphones. I still subscribe to and read magazines and newspapers. Print is no longer the ideal way to advertise: subscriptions and readership are way down from just 5 years ago and every publication has become much leaner in content. I say: Good going for keeping up with the technology trends.

• HandcraftedorVintage

HandcraftedorVintage said 5 years ago

E-mail marketing....... well I subcribed several time's to quite a lot of the e-mails Etsy is sending in the last two years, never received them. The only e-mail I receive from Etsy is the one with the monthly bill, after I already have payed that bill :o( Chad, I am very dissapointed. I am sure you know our concerns about the spam Etsy is sending in the transaction mails for first time buyers. Why don't you speak about that to us? Why do you think it is okay to do that? I still think it is not only spam, but a violation of our privacy too. That transaction mail is a private matter between the sellers and a customer. Etsy should stay out of it.

• cindylouwho2

cindylouwho2 said 5 years ago

If I bought once & haven't come back, that is intentional. Please don't spam those folks. This is the number one reason I get turned off of websites. Art Fire just made this mistake last week & I will definitely never make a purchase there again.

• Mclovebuddy

Mclovebuddy said 5 years ago

e-mail newsletters work depending on whether there's opt-in. the way it is now, permission is given and people want to see product emails. what was recently proposed is different. though it was vague, it also alluded to basic spamming. people aren't signing up for the product emails. it can be incredibly intrusive, depending on when you send it. right after a purchase is probably not the best spot. sending product e-mails to people who haven't been back on the site or who haven't purchased in a while makes sense. singling out members of etsy and basically smearing/mobbing them via etsy finds is not such a good idea either. timing, professionalism, and content count a lot more than what etsy has communicated. you really are your weakest etsy admin link.

• KoutureCrochet

KoutureCrochet said 5 years ago

• ladyartisan

ladyartisan said 5 years ago

I'm just going to repeat what Loopy said: loopyboopy says: I like the customized email idea to get buyers to come back! I also hope this means y'all have scrapped the idea of promotional links in the transaction emails!! Thanks for the update!

• HarrysGirls

HarrysGirls said 5 years ago

Chad says: To put it simply, results from email far eclipse nearly any other form of marketing we have tried. ********************************************************************************** Since you have never tried marketing in venues such as television, radio, newspapers or magazines how could you possibly know that? There are millions of people out there who have never heard of Etsy and that is not because shop owners aren't doing their utmost to spread the word. It is because Etsy isn't.

• TCaponePhoto

TCaponePhoto said 5 years ago

Looking forward to my third successful holiday season here at Etsy and have loved the recent tools provided, including the new iPhone app! Thank you for the update! Wishing everyone happy holidays and many sales! Tracey

• filecutter

filecutter said 5 years ago

HandcraftedorVintage says: E-mail marketing....... well I subscribed several time's to quite a lot of the e-mails Etsy is sending in the last two years, never received them. The only e-mail I receive from Etsy is the one with the monthly bill, after I already have payed that bill :o( Chad, I am very disappointed. I am sure you know our concerns about the spam Etsy is sending in the transaction mails for first time buyers. Why don't you speak about that to us? Why do you think it is okay to do that? I still think it is not only spam, but a violation of our privacy too. That transaction mail is a private matter between the sellers and a customer. Etsy should stay out of it. ___________________________________________________ Totally agree - I do not want my customer being sent additional emails thinking they are from me. I do cover my orders with a thank you email and your contact will only confuse if not put a distaste in the mouths of our customers - THERE IS TO MUCH SPAM ALREADY!

• CoffyCrochet

CoffyCrochet said 5 years ago

It seems like it's going to be an exciting holiday season!

• SoapForYourSoul

SoapForYourSoul said 5 years ago

Great! Hoping to see some repeat customers from this!

• SissysArt

SissysArt said 5 years ago

Thanks for the updates, Chad. I do appreciate some of the recent changes. I would like to see a more active approach for dealing with the resellers of mass produced products that don't belong on Etsy. Please keep working to restore the site as a handmade, vintage and supply marketplace.

• soap

soap said 5 years ago

"Knowing what we do about the power of email, this holiday season we are sending customized emails to Etsy members who have not recently made a purchase, with the intention to bring them back to Etsy." ____ I hope this is OPT IN and not done without the member's permission. I just removed myself from another site's emails (ALL OF THEM) because of these types of emails. I keep getting spam from yet another site (even though I opted out there) and am on the verge of reporting them to the relevant agencies because I still get residual emails. I've made a conscious decision to stop buying from those 2 sites as a result. Just hope you all consider the ramifications and cross all ts and dot all is before proceeding. I'm guessing an user that leaves never (or rarely) comes back.

• foxpots

foxpots said 5 years ago

I'm in favor of promotions that are targeted at getting customers to return to Etsy (and of course, to my shop!). Since Etsy itself is now doing email promos, will the Etsy TOU's change to allow sellers to contact previous customers directly?

• thebeersoapcompany

thebeersoapcompany said 5 years ago

Thank you for the new iPhone app, I am really enjoying it.

• MaryMorrisJewelry

MaryMorrisJewelry said 5 years ago

Thank you for keeping us up to date on what Etsy admin is doing. I'm loving the Facebook integration. It makes my life simpler.

• AnnaBelleArts

AnnaBelleArts said 5 years ago

KoutureCrochet says: I am sure that those same few who appear on etsy FP, newsletters and so are seeing good sales, I would be shocked if they weren't. ************************************************************** I Agree!! Also......... Please don't spam my return customers, they are the only ones that seem to be able to find me anymore.

• RaspberryMarket

RaspberryMarket said 5 years ago

Thank you! I love how you are including the member's most recent purchase! .... nice touch.

• WeeBindery

WeeBindery said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update Chad!

• HarrysGirls

HarrysGirls said 5 years ago

Is a "weather report" forthcoming for the month of October?

• BayouGirlPaintings

BayouGirlPaintings said 5 years ago

I get a lot of emails from online stores I have purchased from before (and in some cases not gone back to). You know where they go? Straight to trash! Most people I know complain about unwanted email. And what you are suggesting is more of the same. You MUST start marketing to people who have never heard of Etsy. Stop riding that same tired horse.

• riskybeads

riskybeads said 5 years ago

Thanks, Chad. That opening image from SnoCal is captivating!

• nudeandloitering

nudeandloitering said 5 years ago

"Sellers and Etsy Admin are all part of that team." So if were all part of the same team, how come it is the same chunk of sellers on the front page over and over again? Please spread the love, it's getting ridiculous when a single curator has 4 treasuries featured on the front page all in one day.

• BadJenStitches

BadJenStitches said 5 years ago

Keep up the spam, Etsy, and you're going to push away buyers - not bring any in or entice any to return.

• JulieMeyer

JulieMeyer said 5 years ago

Let's target new customers!

• glassartelements

glassartelements said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update.

• NaturalGorgeous

NaturalGorgeous said 5 years ago

• Krystyna81

Krystyna81 said 5 years ago

I echo some of the sentiments above - I was upset to see spam from Artfire in my inbox, long after I closed my shop over there - I never bought anything over there before, will never in the future. Print ads, TV ads, getting rid of re-sellers so that the True Etsy can SHINE - focus, man!

• PoochyCouture

PoochyCouture said 5 years ago

Sooooo, The last four days have been the best ever on etsy. What about October. Worst month EVER...no mention of that month...let's act like it didn't happen!! The updates on etsy sound great...the more the merrier:)

• MissBaccessories

MissBaccessories said 5 years ago

As a small seller, I appreciate the technology support that Etsy gives. Facebook and Twitter are big traffic drivers for me. I would love to see blog integration in the future. Also, please work on a better seller piece for iPads! My iPad replaced my laptop, and I can do most anything on it...except add new items to my shop.

• bstudio

bstudio said 5 years ago

You say that "Aside from Google and Facebook, the number one way people find their way to Etsy is via newsletters from us, like Etsy Finds, Gifts, Weddings, Dudes, and Fashion emails." This isn't bringing in new people to Etsy, anyone that receives a newsletter gets it because they've subscribed to it so that means they already know about the site.

• nudeandloitering

nudeandloitering said 5 years ago

• jmijewelry

jmijewelry said 5 years ago

Etsy may have had it's biggest 4 days but I sure have not and I don't appreciate your spamming the few customers I do manage to get on my own. I was at a huge holiday sale today with over 300 artesians and not one person had even heard of Etsy! How about using some of those bucks to pay for ads so the public even knows Etsy exist! Merry Christmas!

• patspottery

patspottery said 5 years ago

Thank you so much. I think that is a great idea and I enjoy the emails I get from amazon and the other stores that send me ideas and sales to my email box. Why not Etsy? I don't consider it spam and all a person needs to do is a simple click to get rid of it.

• GracefullyGirly

GracefullyGirly said 5 years ago

Thanks for the updates. I was excited about the idea of Etsy doing some marketing but I am a bit dismayed that the marketing is directed at people who ALREADY know about Etsy. I sure hope it brings in the traffic you think it will. I hope you also consider bringing in more traffic that hasn't already found Etsy. I know many sellers do tons of marketing on their own to bring traffic here and I would hope Etsy would do their part to bring in more traffic too.

• LiseWinne

LiseWinne said 5 years ago

I am primarily a brick and mortar seller who just happens to have a few things on Etsy. I used to direct my brick and mortar customers to Etsy, but don't any more. Please give me a reason to invite them back. Spamming customers will delay this indefinitely.

• jbeaudet

jbeaudet said 5 years ago

I would be embarrassed if collectors of my art received spam email like this. A lot of my clients have only bought my paintings on here and nothing else. That's why they signed up, not to be spammed like this. I think it cheapens my art and I'm ashamed. If you're making so much money off of all of the creative people on here why don't you spend some of it advertising to people that don't know about etsy.

• ButtonBeloved

ButtonBeloved said 5 years ago

Great, thanks for the update!

• southcentric

southcentric said 5 years ago

With all due respect, If someone hasn't visited recently it's probably not because it slipped their minds. I recently got a random similar E-mail from Artfire similar to what etsy is doing and it just seemed squeemy! Spamming just smacks of desperation. How about a mainstream television ad or two?

• MySweetieBean

MySweetieBean said 5 years ago

So glad to hear about the iPhone app, that is awesome. Some alternate forms of advertising targeting new customers would be ideal. Unlike others, I really don't think TV ads are the way to go - too many people have DVRs and just fast-forward through commercials - I know I do! It would be great to get on some morning shows, featuring some sellers, what Etsy is about, etc. Facebook advertising, etc. Social media has the biggest impact over print and TV, so this is definitely the way to go. Anybody watch United States of Tara? Etsy got heavy mention in one episode because Tara's sister opened a shop on Etsy......very cool.

• DoraArtDesignStudio

DoraArtDesignStudio said 5 years ago

Thanks for featuring art so prominently here. Now can we have Art in the drop down menu with Vintage and Supplies so collectors can find us easier and weed out the wood lemon reamers?

• TwinDreamCreations

TwinDreamCreations said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update Chad! Looking forward to a great holiday season.

• tatteredrouge

tatteredrouge said 5 years ago

Team up with Project Runway or Project Accessory (like ebay has recently done). Become one with Project something......... You'll reach not only "new", but the right buyers!!

• somethingxtraspecial

somethingxtraspecial said 5 years ago

I have to add: Aside from Google and Facebook why aside from - why not google adwords for etsy? I sure as mud is mud am not going to pay for them to direct traffic here when they will get enticed instantly out of my shop by circles, favourites profiles etc etc, but as a main site with a budget for adwords like 'handmade gifts' and 'unsual gift ideas' that would certainly bring visitors in. You can't expect everyone to keep marketing out of their own pocket to bring people in when you make it so easy to get distracted out of the shop, but for etsy corp to spend just a small budget in adwords would be very effective, any money spent at any shop is good for you.

• KneeDeepOriginals

KneeDeepOriginals said 5 years ago

First, it's wonderful to see ART actually as the main graphic for this article. I's so rare to see that, whether it's on FP or in any other promo for Etsy. There are many visual artists on Etsy, and we often despair as to how we are overlooked by Etsy Admin. Very rarely are we in the gift guides, the Daily Finds, etc. So how nice to see an artist featured here. However, it is rather sad to see the caption "Photo by SnoCal" below the painting. Yes, I know it is a photo of the work, but it would definitely be more appropriate to write "Painting by SnoCal" since that is actually what is being sold on Etsy. Next, well congrats to the many sellers who had work sold in the past four "highest sales days in history" on Etsy. My sales are few and far between, and I am often lost in the crowd. I do not promote or spend as much money as other sellers, but I have tried several tactics that do not seem to work for me. I have had a couple of my treasury collections featured on Etsy's FP, and I have had a few of my paintings and items featured in FP collections over the past almost-three years that I've been a member. Never do those things bring me sales. And while I am overjoyed for my teammates and friends on Etsy who have sales, and some have lots of sales, I am often frustrated to often see the same sellers on the FP and in the Finds and other Gift Guides, and again, to see how few and far between are the many fine artists featured. I do not like the idea of spamming new buyers, and I don't like the email bombardment idea either... like others who've commented here, I too have received recent emails from Artfire because in the past I made a couple purchases from sellers there (who moved there after closing their Etsy shops). I was surprised to get those emails, since I didn't think I'd signed up for them, but I simply deleted them and didn't read them. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to think that Etsy may be heading in this direction. I don't know the answer since marketing, obviously, isn't my forte. But for those who are professionals in the marketing area, surely they can come up with some better ideas.

• allisonmooney

allisonmooney said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update. Praying for a successful season! Good luck to all!

• TamsyTrends

TamsyTrends said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update, Chad! I especially love the Facebook and Twitter integration. I really do hope Etsy continues to help sellers in marketing and promoting the sites as this will benefit us all. Wishing everyone lots and lots of sales this holiday season!

• uta1114

uta1114 said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update. Switching from Newly Listed to Relevancy has made a huge difference for my store and I am looking forward to a great holiday season! Uta

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

OxOriginalArtJewelry said 5 years ago

Repeat sales are great but I feel Etsy should be focusing on new customers with ads. Shop owners spend lots of money bringing customers in with their own ads and Etsy should be doing the same. I talk to people continually who have no idea what Etsy is. I'd also like to see an older audience targeted. People over 40 have more disposable income and may not spend as much time online as younger ones do. How about ads in More magazine or Oprah??

• CestSuperbeLabels

CestSuperbeLabels said 5 years ago

I think it's a great idea sending previous customers an Etsy email to remind them about its existence!

• serena29

serena29 said 5 years ago

if email marketing is your only marketing, then naturally that would be the number one way people enter etsy.

• KilnGoddess

KilnGoddess said 5 years ago

I have a bunch of sites that keep trying to remind me they exist, so far the only one that I'm paying attention to is one that is giving me a $10 discount on the purchase of a $10 and up purchase. That caught my attention right quick lol. I don't think email reminders are gonna work, I usually ignore the ones in my box unless there is a some can't miss opportunity for coming back.

• GypsiesJewels

GypsiesJewels said 5 years ago

today I had emails from Wal Mart, JC Penny, LL Bean about pre Christmas Sales..I don't subscribe to their emails..am I upset? NO! It's just good business practise to send reminders that we are here and ready for shopping.

• OhFaro

OhFaro said 5 years ago

Thanks for the updates Chad, they are appreciated. I say - PROMOTE your heart out, get those buyers back and buying! Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• rosameyer

rosameyer said 5 years ago

Hooray! Glad to hear about this marketing effort.

• Feille

Feille said 5 years ago

I would love to know what the 4 sales days were (the ones with the highest selling)

• goldenwatercreations

goldenwatercreations said 5 years ago

i wouldn't object to the spam emails IF they promoted other items in MY shop. we are individual sellers on here not a 'collective" Etsy... yet you keep enticing our buyers with other shop product. 'course i understand ETSY wants to make sales, doesn't care WHO's shop they come from. hey etsy have you heard of ADS? you want shop owners to Spend $s on ETSY ADS... what ads and where has ETSY bought????????? so it's TOS spam if we contact a previous buyer of our shop, but NOT SPAM if ETSy does it? this is NUTS>>>>>>>>>> I concur with the following post: NaturalGorgeous says: If sellers were allowed to send promotional emails to past customers, you would need to send out these emails. And then you, Chad, could focus on promoting Etsy via mass media. Individual sellers can do the email and social media (we are doing it already). What we can't do is pool all our funds to pay for a television or print media buy. That's where you come in, Chad. Big sellers like Martha Stewart have "handmade" looking lines that cut right into Etsy's market, and they are advertised on television. Sending an email to people who shopped here once and never came back cannot compete with that. Only Etsy corporate has the buying power to do mass media. This is what you should be doing, not fiddling around the edges with daily newsletters. the handcrafted look is HOT,B&M BIG companies are advertising THEIR handcrafted look... how about ETSY do the same...

• drumchick99

drumchick99 said 5 years ago

So can we email all our past customers that haven't purchased from us in a while to get them to come back? Only seems fair if etsy's going to do it.

• KisforCalligraphy

KisforCalligraphy said 5 years ago

If "results from email far eclipse nearly any other form of marketing we have tried" then WHY WHY WHY on earth did you get rid of the "email" button link on our item listings? The people who used the email button link already knew this about email. I am still in absolute shock that you made the decision to get rid of a powerful marketing tool with no good explanation. Chad, in light of what you say, I urge you to please reconsider bringing the email button back to our shops and listings. Thank you for the update.

• MouthyMitts

MouthyMitts said 5 years ago

I really like the fact that you will be including the last purchase made by a customer that you're encouraging to come back :)

• deltamoonsoap

deltamoonsoap said 5 years ago

Thanks so much for doing that and keeping us informed too ;-)

• redshedvintage

redshedvintage said 5 years ago

I appreciate all the efforts being made to help etsy grow. Growth also means new customers, not just previous or current customers. While most of the "advertising" efforts are aimed at the younger tech-savvy crowd... please don't forget that the older (30, 40+) crowd most likely has more disposible income for buying trinkets, and most likely isn't being reached with the tech savvy updates. Spam emails are annoying and usually deleted. Please reconsider conventional advertising, such as specialty magazines and product placement during television shows (those subconcious product images disguised in popular tv shows do work!) There are still millions of older folks subscribing to and reading magazines, and lots of unique publications which cater to the very same creative & art loving people who etsy currently caters to. Potential customers of all ages with money to spend, looking for unique items to buy... who have never ever heard of etsy. I hope the 'powers who be' will fully research the power of advertising.

• alphabitsy

alphabitsy said 5 years ago

I'm excited about the iPhone app. I don't know if it'll help bring in new sellers, but it's a fun toy for me.

• GlassLadyAtHome

GlassLadyAtHome said 5 years ago

I read your update with interest and must confess that it did give me pause to wonder if I am in the right venue for my vintage items. You made it abundantly clear that young buyers are your main thrust, which surprised me somewhat, as the young people in my environment do facebook, twitter & are on their i phones constantly....but have little to no money to spend. I personally, do use facebook a lot, but only to stay tuned into friends & family and would never start marketing to them or thier friends, and twitter is just a funny word to me. Am I dating myself? ABSOLUTELY! But I don't feel alone as I know there is a huge group of BUYERS that ETSY is not reaching (that probably have a lot more disposable income). Your above note indicates that you really have little interest in seeking them out and that saddens me somewhat.

• Engelfelt

Engelfelt said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update, Chad. I certainly look forward to the projected increased sales!

• gardenmis

gardenmis said 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the update Chad ~ excited + hoping for a big holiday season filled with lots of sales :)

• lobsterlu

lobsterlu said 5 years ago

It's starting to get very hard to understand why Etsy never buys any tv, print or web advertising. A good percentage of the people who have shopped here or signed up for etsy newsletters, were brought here through advertising paid by sellers. Come on, Chad, cough it up! These sellers who aren't even making minimum wage somehow find the $$ to pay for ads. Why not Etsy? Don't tell us it doesn't work - it's never been done on a grand scale by Etsy, if it's been done at all. Sending emails to past buyers should be something that you give tools to sellers to do.

• Engelfelt

Engelfelt said 5 years ago

I must just add that a customer from 2 years ago, who, according to her feedback, has not placed an order since then, has just placed a rather large custom order from my shop. I have to credit Etsy's emails for putting my shop back on her radar for the holidays.

• LynnesThisandThat

LynnesThisandThat said 5 years ago

I love so many of the changes over the past year...but...when I ask someone if they have heard about Etsy, this is the response: "Etsy? What's Etsy?" Then I explain what Etsy is. I make an attempt to promote Etsy when the opportunity arises at Joann Fabric... the thriving fabric chain I frequent. One might imagine that those shopping at Joann Fabric would have a clue as to what Etsy is, but they don't. Not so much as one time has anyone responded "Oh, sure, I know about Etsy. Takes money to make money, and it's not all about e-mails, and the internet. There is a world out there that does not have a clue that Etsy exists. Please think outside of the box and advertise.

• BadJenStitches

BadJenStitches said 5 years ago

LOL @ the spammer ... commenting about an article that condones corporate spamming.

• lillyandlulu

lillyandlulu said 5 years ago

Awesome update Chad! I am looking forward to a very busy holiday season!

• misseileen

misseileen said 5 years ago

Etsy is getting better but I've had a lot of the same responses LynnesThisandThat has. Many people still don't have a clue about Etsy.

• coolclimates

coolclimates said 5 years ago

Hard to believe that the last 4 days have had the highest sales. I haven't had any and there are lots of other sellers who have been complaining of very low sales recently, too. Still, it's good to hear that some people are doing well.

• GraysCrafts

GraysCrafts said 5 years ago

What do you mean by "four highest sales days in history"? Is it a number of sales, their dollar amount or something else? That sounded very vague.

• PrairiePrimitives

PrairiePrimitives said 5 years ago

PLEASE advertise in a mainstream (not "hip") magazine or three ... AND on TV in prime time. Try it. PLEASE!

• DesigningParrotJewel

DesigningParrotJewel said 5 years ago

Chad It's great to see that Etsy has been making positive changes in some areas but I must agree with lots of the comments made above. Sending emails to people who are already aware of Etsy is merely one centimeter of the advertising iceberg! I also notice that you mention Google as an aside. Not all Etsy shops have their items submitted to Google Search by Etsy...they have to meet certain criteria first from what I have been told, so since any market is only as strong as its weakest link, why not consider reaching out to people of all ages who are unaware of Etsy by placing some Google Ads, ads in magazines etc.? What would happen if Etsy actually advertised on T.V.? Reaching out to potential new customers seems to be the key to me.

• gardenleafdesign

gardenleafdesign said 5 years ago

Thanks so much! Have a great Holiday season all!!!

• wildwomanbeads

wildwomanbeads said 5 years ago

One thing I don't see much of is the suggestion to have a theme for Etsy promotion on TV, radio, print and tech media (all of which ideas I think are great and will expand our buyer audience). How about promoting the idea that buying directly from artisans is not only more fun but also helps rebuild our fractured economy by trickling down the benefits of an artisan purchase? I make jewelry, therefore buy supplies. When someone buys a piece of jewelry from me, that trickles down to the bead artisans from whom I buy, and the suppliers who make my clasps, charms, crystals, and many other things I incorporate into my pieces. I call this "economic change from the ground up." When I talk about ti with people, there seems to be some excitement. Take out a TV ad. Feature some Etsy artisans talking about what they do and why they love it. Tell the audience how loving what you do translates into a great product they'll cherish far more than something they buy in a box store. One of a kind items. Made just for you. Artists love to hear what you're looking for and find a way to create it. Promote those ideas. YouTube too! Make a YouTube video on artists connecting and selling the world 'round. Here's what I notice about Facebook and Twitter. My friends, family and fans are using them less. Takes too much time in a busy season. Why not go where the people are in the evening? In front of their televisions! Make a really great ad sending people to Etsy artists. Best to all! Happy sales and a great holiday season!

• richardkattman

richardkattman said 5 years ago

Chad: Thanks for the information and posting a wonderful abstract painting!

• OceanSpiritJewelry

OceanSpiritJewelry said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update. Now let's hope I will sell my first item this holiday season. It ain't easy being new in the community. But it is EXCITING!!!

• AntiquesDjour

AntiquesDjour said 5 years ago

what about the ongoing sale of our and our customer's personal info? nothing? pretend like it isn't happening? ok.

• chantalmarieliving

chantalmarieliving said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update. I really appreciate the fact that my Facebook page is connected to my Etsy shop and that I can upload new items on Facebook from Etsy. This is so much better. Now if I could get more people viewing my shop would be awesome!

• PeriniDesigns

PeriniDesigns said 5 years ago

Dear Chad, I am no allowed to convo MY customers, not even once a year, to say thankyou and offer a special promotion, yet ETSY is allowed to spam all past customers? Please consider spending your time connecting with ANYONE out in the Art, Fashion, Craft or Vintage marketplaces, and spread the word about Etsy. After five years 99% of my craft fair customers have never heard of Etsy. Spread the word, spread the love, but going back again and again to the current database is not going to grow your business or mine!

• vinieschild

vinieschild said 5 years ago

I see I'm expected to take my medicine and smile. Do the folks up there in Brooklyn really think I believe spam emails are the best marketing tool? Proven against what? I am amazed at the time and effort it takes to get seen on this site. A lot of us are not twenty-somethings but, instead, are seasoned online sellers. We know better.

• misanthropycreations

misanthropycreations said 5 years ago

We need Tumblr integration!!!

• misanthropycreations

misanthropycreations said 5 years ago

LOVE THIS: Fantastic Point made by NaturalGorgeous! NaturalGorgeous says: If sellers were allowed to send promotional emails to past customers, you would need to send out these emails. And then you, Chad, could focus on promoting Etsy via mass media. Individual sellers can do the email and social media (we are doing it already). What we can't do is pool all our funds to pay for a television or print media buy. That's where you come in, Chad. Big sellers like Martha Stewart have "handmade" looking lines that cut right into Etsy's market, and they are advertised on television. Sending an email to people who shopped here once and never came back cannot compete with that. Only Etsy corporate has the buying power to do mass media. This is what you should be doing, not fiddling around the edges with daily newsletters. I completely agree. It should be Etsy's responsibility to it's sellers to advertise more efficiently for us. We will all benefit from this. Finding out how much money Etsy makes per year is easy to find out. It's appalling to me that some of that profit isn't going to advertising to grow Etsy into something GREAT not good.

• FineFollyGlassworks

FineFollyGlassworks said 5 years ago

.•:*¨*:•. THANK YOU .•:*¨*:•. for all you do to help us make our shops a success!

• skluesn2

skluesn2 said 5 years ago

My customers, who I brought to etsy through outside advertising are now getting emails from etsy offering items by my competitors. Etsy is mining my our customer lists without our permission.

• skluesn2

skluesn2 said 5 years ago

I sent a note to etsy legal department complaining about this legal@etsy.com but they just referred me to this posting.

• nicoahsmeem

nicoahsmeem said 5 years ago

Thanks Chad. I didnt realize the importance of email marketing. I will try it. I'm looking foward to a successful holiday season. With your advice, its possible right?

• plumfuchsia

plumfuchsia from plumfuchsia said 4 years ago

Broken-hearted--the etsy app I left behind when I switched from an iPhone to my HTC Evo 4G is sorely missed. Although, I appreciate the efforts made by others to create a true etsy experience, they leave very much to be desired. PLEASE don't forget about us in the Android World!