Notes From Chad

Oct 24, 2011

by Chad Dickerson

It’s been a few weeks since I last wrote a note — and what a few weeks it’s been! This past weekend, on Saturday, October 22, the Etsy community achieved a major milestone when total sales by sellers in the history of the site tipped past the one billion dollar mark. In a time when people are looking for more meaning and connection in all that they do, including buying and selling, we are proud of the Etsy community’s contribution. Congratulations to each of you who have found success here on Etsy in the past six years, and we’re looking forward to many, many more years of success for the community to come.

I know the pace of change has been particularly rapid in the past several weeks, and I wanted to give you some updates and context for it all. Since my last note, I spoke at Hello Etsy in Berlin about overcoming fears and finding courage. I’m hoping that those of you who take the time in your busy lives to watch the video of the talk find it encouraging and also learn a little more about me and where I come from (you’ll even see my baby photo). Eleanor Mayrhofer, who spoke about project management for indie businesses, captures the general sentiment of Hello Etsy perfectly: “Throughout the conference I had the feeling of being very lucky, supremely blessed, extremely proud of myself for taking risks, and totally inspired by how many wonderful people there are in the world, doing wonderful things.” For those of you who couldn’t make it to Berlin, we captured the wonders of Hello Etsy in thirty-three videos which you can find in the library of our Online Labs (scroll to the bottom and look for Hello Etsy). Thank you to everyone who participated in the conference. Though Etsy Admin took care of most of the the logistics, it was truly a conference made by the community.

One of the themes in my talk about courage at Hello Etsy was that in order to make great progress, whether it’s in your personal life or in running your own business, you have to take risks and embrace change. If you watch the talk, you’ll see that I’ve faced moments myself where I decided to embrace unsettling changes that ultimately led me to breakthroughs in my own life. English theologian Richard Hooker once wrote: “Change is not made without inconvenience, even from worse to better.”

Even positive change can be inconvenient in the short-term, so as Etsy grows and changes, we know how important it is that we continue to raise our communication game so that you understand the changes we’re making and when we’re making them. To address this, we’ve have been taking specific steps to make sure you get critical information from us more regularly and quickly about things that affect you and your businesses on Etsy. When I became CEO in July, I understood how important it was for you to hear from me directly, so I started writing these notes to you immediately (this is the 6th installment in three months). We continue to hear in the Forums that many of you would like to be contacted via email. Recently, we notified all Etsy members via email and on the blog of some changes to our privacy policy that allow us to communicate more with you. We’re working hard to do a better job communicating with you and we’re happy to see positive responses to these recent steps forward.

In the spirit of clearer communication and forward progress, we made major improvements to how names and shops are represented on Etsy, and we let you know a week in advance to give you plenty of time to think about them. This change made it possible for shop owners to change their shop names for the first time (a long-awaited feature, we know!) and also gives them more overall control over their brands on Etsy.  Natalie explains more in our blog post.

With the peak holiday shopping season quickly approaching, we are redoubling our efforts to bring more shoppers to Etsy and to help sellers manage their shops more easily. To make it easier for shoppers to discover items they love on Etsy (especially new shoppers), we have been introducing new ways to shop on Etsy, and we have seen promising early results with these explorations.  Not only are they nice to look at, but we’ve seen that people who come to Etsy through these pages spend a longer amount of time than the average Etsy visitor, and they are discovering items not just featured on these pages, but all over the site. In addition to building entry points on Etsy like these to bring in new buyers, we also know that Etsy shop owners are experts at bringing new buyers to their shops. That’s why last week we launched an integration with Facebook and Twitter to make it easier than ever for sellers to establish connections with visitors to their shops, and to promote their shops through these hugely popular services. Many Etsy shop owners are already using Facebook and Twitter to promote themselves and we’re really excited to see the effects of these integrations. To learn more about how to participate, check out the blog post and watch Laura’s video.  (It’s really easy!) Finally, once a seller has made a sale, we’ve made it easier to keep the buyers informed of shipping progress as they anxiously await packages with our new shipping notifications feature. If you are a seller, we hope this feature makes a hectic time just a little bit easier.

While the pace of change is beginning to slow down as we lock down the site for the peak holiday season, we’re still hard at work at Etsy. We still have a couple of simple and exciting features we’ll be rolling out in the coming weeks to help buyers everywhere explore Etsy during the biggest shopping time of the year. Stay tuned!

• UrbanStudioSupply

UrbanStudioSupply said 6 years ago

Wonderful! I am really excited about the communication and the social media connections. Thanks much!

• cindylouwho2

cindylouwho2 said 6 years ago

Hi Chad - thanks for this! The peak holiday season for non US sellers is November, so all changes need to be rolled out by then, if this is really a site that cares about non-US sellers & is truly international is usability. Guess it will be a busy week for you guys! :) While these posts are appreciated, basic communication is still sorely lacking on a day-to-day basis. With the major changes last week, several other layout changes were made, such as the removal of the visible RSS button & the email link in listings. When people started Bugs threads on these topics, the forum admin had no clue what was going on - I felt sorry for them! ANY CHANGE of that nature needs to be communicated to all staff at least, even before the general membership. A day & half later is too late. I am very glad to have been part of the $1 billion in sales day! Here's to the next billion!

• riskybeads

riskybeads said 6 years ago

Thanks, Chad! I can definitely feel the increase in communication. There's been a noticeable shift in the frequency and the quality of admin-to-seller communication. I really appreciate that. :)

• stickylipgloss

stickylipgloss said 6 years ago

Looking forward to see a push to bring more buyers in!

• BizzieLizzie

BizzieLizzie said 6 years ago

Bring it! Thanks for the notice!

• AstoriaLane

AstoriaLane said 6 years ago

I love all the new features being rolled out. Thank you so much. And please keep up the communication, it does lessen the stress of having a shop here when you know what to expect.

• PhanieMarie

PhanieMarie said 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking forward to my 2nd holiday season here. :D

• OhNostalgiaDesigns

OhNostalgiaDesigns said 6 years ago

I can't tell you how excited I was to get the email from Etsy about the changes. This is a huge step in the right direction, and I'm glad more is on the way!

• toriska

toriska said 6 years ago

Thanks, can't wait to see what else is rolled out.

• KoutureCrochet

KoutureCrochet said 6 years ago

Are we going to get $$$ DOLLAR AMOUNT COUPONS $$$ ? We want!

• IndulgentDesigns

IndulgentDesigns said 6 years ago

Wow, a billion dollars! Way to go fellow artisans and thank you to Etsy for helping us succeed! I'm looking forward to seeing how we continue to grow and change, and how my homegrown business can grow along to keep up!

• compassionmalas

compassionmalas said 6 years ago

Great, keep it up! I loved getting the email about shop name changes as well as seeing it in the forums and at the top of my shop page. I appreciate the communication.

• sarantos

sarantos said 6 years ago

If our items dropping out of Google Shopping is a result of some of these changes. Please fix what is causing that! http://www.etsy.com/teams/7720/bugs/discuss/9146715/page/9/ Also will we ever get into other shopping places such as BING Shopping? It would be nice to have other places. Thanks

• mattjohnsondesigns

mattjohnsondesigns said 6 years ago

This really is an interesting marketplace platform. It's been fun to watch it grow and change. I'm starting to better understand what the goals are for this company, and I agree that change is necessary (and also scary, confusing, fun, etc). Stagnation brings nothing as time passes, and in this internet era change is required just to keep up with the exponential growth of technology itself. The addition of facebook and twitter links seems to make sense in terms of increasing "funnels" to this site, as well. As fast as etsy's growing, I wonder what this place will be like in a year?

• snowflakeboutique

snowflakeboutique said 6 years ago

Thanks for the communication! It is great to see what Etsy plans for the future. Now if you can do something to make the ads effective, that would be great!!!

• OhFaro

OhFaro said 6 years ago

Thanks Chad. I really appreciate the step towards increased communication; now if we can get more advance notice and time to prepare for the changes, that would be awesome too. :D

• rawartletterpress

rawartletterpress said 6 years ago

big gold stars for everyone at etsy - thank you!

• pillowsophi

pillowsophi said 6 years ago

Thanks, Chad! I'm really impressed with the direction Etsy is heading in; a lot of the recent changes and new features are awesome!

• heartworksbylori

heartworksbylori said 6 years ago

I'm thrilled to be part of this Etsy community and excited to participate in it's growth! Some of the recent changes have been fantastic and it's been neat to see how this site has evolved from the beginning. Change is growth and it's good for me to step out of my comfort zone every once in a while in order to grow. I love this quote by Maya Angelou: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."

• LayOffTheBooks

LayOffTheBooks said 6 years ago

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I can't wait for the holiday season!

• Jalycme

Jalycme said 6 years ago

Thanks for the update Chad! We appreciate it. =D

• RoneeDelBianco

RoneeDelBianco said 6 years ago

Thanks for the update. It would be really great if you could post changes like you did with the Shipping Notification. Much easier to sort things out if you have some idea what is happening rather than having to go through tons of forum posts.

• ThePeacockFeather

ThePeacockFeather said 6 years ago

We still have a couple of simple and exciting features we’ll be rolling out in the coming weeks __________________________________________ then you really aren't locking it down. The Christmas selling season starts in Sept. it may not be PEAK but that is when it starts. Even ebay says so. everytime you roll out a new program most stores take a hit. views drop, sales drop, people get frustrated, angry or just give up. and yet it continues all the way thru the most important selling season of the year. I still believe this is done on purpose because ebay used to do it too. that way sales aren't so high that you can't beat them in the next quarter. search still isn't even close to being what it should be. go to ebay and search for something then come back here and search for the same thing. change is one thing but revamping the entire site in 8 weeks and doing it just before Christmas is absurd. I read in one post that a seller was exhausted trying to keep up with the changes and was going to have to take a break. this means she was wasn't creating either. If you have to put more time into figuring out how the site works every single day and have no time to create then it is pointless for anyone that does handmade to even be here. I see this site going the same way as ebay. Ebay is nothing today like it was 10 years ago. Sellers hate it, buyers hate it. Lots of sellers have left and so have the buyers but ebay survives because of all their holdings and all the new carp that is sold on there. Etsy does not yet have that luxury.

• VintageAndVictorian

VintageAndVictorian said 6 years ago

I hope some of the new changes yet to come will include more categories and more sub-categories which will allow sellers the option for better control and better organization of their listings. Also, more sections would be helpful. These things would not only benefit sellers, but would also help buyers in their searches. Thanks for the good changes that have been made, and thanks for the communication.

• cottonhills

cottonhills said 6 years ago

I appreciate the work to make etsy a better place. Hoping to get our email addresses on our pages before the lock-down even tho we are already well into the holiday shopping season. Please get us back into Google Shopping, yahoo, bing and all the rest before the lock down.....pretty please with sugar on top...

• mehndiart09

mehndiart09 said 6 years ago

I really enjoy reading 'Notes from Chad'. It's something I read all the way through! What's nice about the notes is that your personality shines through and I, as a customer and seller feel like a real person wrote the note! Thanks for your commitment to keep us informed directly!

• FancyPantsAndMore

FancyPantsAndMore said 6 years ago

Thanks Chad. Change is scary and exciting at the same time. I appreciate the notes and look forward to reading more.

• FallenAngelBrass

FallenAngelBrass said 6 years ago

Thanks, Chad. Would love to see an improvement in the Search Ad situation. Lots has been written in the forum about that.

• auryndesign

auryndesign said 6 years ago

Thank you for the message - I appreciate reading the notes on the changes very much.

• Art2ArtColorado

Art2ArtColorado said 6 years ago

I also appreciate the improved communication and the more extensive use of the Admin. area for announcements, thank you! *also, while you're here, I wanted to say that I really hope that Etsy would create a new and exciting Promo area for us to do our own promos on-site in real time, in full public view, with a prominent link from the FP and to encourage the public to join us and interact at any level they may wish to.... much like a real marketplace. I feel this is so important to the concept and goals here and that it would boost involvement on so many levels, it would help in sales, shopping and reinforce the social aspect here for networking. (maybe a new Alchemy could be integrate in this area too?) Please consider making a "Live Market" a priority and expedited feature. It is sorely needed and I would imagine it would be an overall boost in numerous respects as far as the overall Etsy experience is concerned. I can safely say that many, many sellers would love it & I firmly believe the public would too! Thank you, Chad.

• kskjewelrydesigns

kskjewelrydesigns said 6 years ago

Thank you, Chad! I've been on vacation, but love to hear about the milestone on the 22nd! Really appreciate your Notes, as well as the increased communication overall. The e-mail about name changes was great, and it would help to have advance notice regarding adjustments to layout too. Change isn't easy, even for those of us who enjoy it, so I think we should be aware ahead of time of anything that may affect our experience here. Also feel bad for everyone who has been dropped from search engines, so I hope you guys can get that worked out very soon. :) Thanks for all your hard work, looking forward to being here when the next billion dollar milestone hits!

• mamapainter

mamapainter said 6 years ago

Yeah Team!

• Gypsymoondesigns

Gypsymoondesigns said 6 years ago

I like that you post Chad. Thanks for the communication.

• OnceUponAGem

OnceUponAGem said 6 years ago

Thanks Chad, for the update.

• PetScribbles

PetScribbles said 6 years ago

Thanks Chad - your regular posts here really make a difference. As the new head of Etsy, you've got your hands full, so it is very cool that you take a moment and update us. Hope there's not too much more before you lock down the site, as for most shoppers and retailers - we are already in the peak holiday shopping season. :)

• nicolehill

nicolehill said 6 years ago

Chad, thanks for this. I've been one of those who've complained in the past about Etsy's communication with its customers, and I've both noticed and appreciated the huge improvements recently. It would still be good to get advance notice of changes - some ideas of planned changes over, say, the next quarter or 6 months would be really helpful - but it is noticeable that things are better in that field than they have been for a long time. If you're looking for a laundry list of things that need addressing (I know you're not, but I'm here, so I'll mention it anyway...) I have concerns about Etsy's data management and data protection policies. I think you should have concerns too, particularly as regards data retention (especially for closed accounts) and EU data protection law. I'd be more than happy to contribute my non-expert opinions if asked, but I think you'd do well to consult a real DP legal specialist who knows about EU law on this. Anyway, enough of that - mostly, I wanted to say thank you for the steps you have taken so far; I look forward to seeing ever greater improvements in communicating with your customers about changes and progress.

• ShirleyArt

ShirleyArt said 6 years ago

Thank you! The improved communication is much appreciated! While we all struggle to adapt to changes, it is helpful to hear some of the thought behind them.

• SAStudio

SAStudio said 6 years ago

Thanks for the update. I'm finding all the changes exciting and keeping my fingers crossed about their impact over the holiday season.

• Krystyna81

Krystyna81 said 6 years ago

Could we have a break-down of how each category is faring with these changes? Art sales, especially originals, seems to have dropped off the face of Etsy. Are you looking at maximizing each category, or only looking at the bottom line? Artists, for one, tend to have loyal watchers/collectors, which is why the RSS feed button is so important in our shops. Thank you.

• crochetgal

crochetgal said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update Chad. Much appreciated. But one big question --- why are you removing features that work even if they aren't used by a huge percentage of people? Things like the RSS feed and the 'email' notification.... these are huge for some shops. And will there be a replacement offered for either 'just listed' or Time Machine 2? Both were great features for catching resellers.

• weezieduzzit

weezieduzzit said 5 years ago

A change that would be welcome for the holiday season would be either a shipping calculator or at the very least a few different shipping fields where we could let the buyer choose which option they want (first class for a set price, priority for a set price, etc. if a calc isn't possible at this time for whatever reason....)

• SmallWondersArt

SmallWondersArt said 5 years ago

Wow, congrats to all on the billion in sales! Hope we're all part of the next billion! Thanks for posting Chad, helps to hear what your direction you're thinking for us.

• RawBoneStudio

RawBoneStudio said 5 years ago

Thanks for communicating Chad. It helps a lot. Gotta go make stuff now, bye!

• Lambsears

Lambsears said 5 years ago

I'm with the group the appreciates the changes in communication you have made. It helps to keep some of the speculation down, but not the anticipation. We will still be impatient and hold you to your promised time frames so be sure to give yourself and your teams plenty of cushion. :-) I do appreciate all the work that has gone into all the recent changes and how you are asking for and listening to our feedback. I am looking forward to a wonderful 4th quarter!

• aBreathofFrenchair

aBreathofFrenchair said 5 years ago

Change is hard, but much needed. Thanks!

• berrybluecreations

berrybluecreations said 5 years ago

Wow what a milestone. Thanks Chad and staff for all you do!

• RunzwithScissors

RunzwithScissors said 5 years ago

Chad -- I'm glad you have the courage to do the changing for us. We on Etsy -- especially the thousands of old-timers -- are not afraid of change and challenge. That's why we joined Etsy when no one else had heard of it. The implication that Etsians are afraid of change minimizes valid concerns about functionality voiced by many. We embrace and expect useful change, and quite a number of the new roll-outs do make Etsy function better. But for some reason, there have been small, unnecessary changes that impact our ability to do business in a timely, productive and reasonable manner. I'm speaking specifically of 1) the refusal of mikeynice to answer convos and provide a plain text black ink alternative to the new pale, colorful transaction emails. Black text - taken away from us 2 months ago, has not been restored. and 2) The counter-intuitive, difficult-to-read and time-consuming change to convos, where the *unique* user name is in small pale gray text, and the writer's real name -- Jane, Dave, Anne -- is the big bold text, making convos a visual nightmare to organize, scan or visually search. Great sweeping change is fine, and can move everyone forward, but making selling more time-consuming and difficult by niggling unnecessary changes which satisfy only an non-seller design team's version of an aesthetic is not helpful. I welcome big change that is productive and forward. Not backward, time-wasting changes.

• RunzwithScissors

RunzwithScissors said 5 years ago

The above post did have paragraphs. really!

• NutfieldWeaver

NutfieldWeaver said 5 years ago

Change is difficult but can be more manageable if people in a community have adequate time to prepare and to plan. I prefer to be "proactive" when possible, and throughout the last few weeks it has been necessary to be "reactive" to many of the significant modifications that have been implemented here. I cannot speak for others here, but I find a "reactive" mind-set to be stress-inducing. I understand & can cope with change -- ask me how many states I've lived in. :)

• jamiespinello

jamiespinello said 5 years ago

I am really happy about the new shipping notification feature and some of the clean up design decisions made recently. I am very excited to here that etsy is " redoubling our efforts to bring more shoppers to Etsy ". Does this mean more advertising on etsy's part? I would love to know through what channels you guys are finding most effective to bringing in buyers. I give out cards at markets every weekend with my etsy address on it and I continuously run into many people that still have never been to etsy. Also, I love the drawing featured! It seduced me into reading the article. Congratulations, Helen Gotlib on the feature! You have beautiful work!

• KisforCalligraphy

KisforCalligraphy said 5 years ago

We don't need to find courage to deal with the onset of irrational and thoughtless changes you have bombarded us over the last couple of weeks. This is not a "courage" finding situation. The people in Turkey devastated by the earthquake, those in bangkok who are knee high in water, a person who has just been diagnosed with cancer....THOSE are the people who need to find courage to deal with change! All we need to find is patience and restraint. Chad, with all due respect, the holiday shopping season has approached already. The major improvements you made are some that we have been asking for you to do for years. And those improvements should have been made over the summer, not late October. Not sure why I am posting this here. I should be facebooking it too you! I agree with Nutfield: Having to be "reactive to the significant modifications that have been implemented here has been stress-inducing."

• livjewellery

livjewellery said 5 years ago

I appreciate the increased communication regarding changes to the site. I look forward to exploring each new change as it is rolled out - keep the communication coming! I am very proud to be part of etsy today.

• bmjnyc

bmjnyc said 5 years ago

Thank you for listening and for delivering these great new tools! Thanks also for the much improved communication.

• strawberryluna

strawberryluna said 5 years ago

Thanks for the note Chad. As the holiday season is already beginning for us sellers, we look forward to a new, smoother and more communicative season!

• rakubuttons

rakubuttons said 5 years ago

Dear Chad, Not sure why, but I am not seeing any results on things that you vowed to work on since July. Thanks for writing tho. Hopefully you will keep trying. P.S. I like the "Hello Kitty" rip. Kinda sums it all up nicely.

• VeronicaRStudio

VeronicaRStudio said 5 years ago

Hi Chad! I appreciate the increased communication and the way you and your teams have been keeping us informed of all the changes. I love my new shop name, thank you very much! And I also think these changes will help us sellers a lot.

• AgelessThings

AgelessThings said 5 years ago

Not sure how I feel about the recent changes. It seems that by the time I react to the change and start getting views and sales, something else changes and I feel like I am back to square one. But with the amount of sales etsy is doing, someone is doing something right. I will just continue to try to keep up! Do like knowing more of what is happening and look all the time for announcements. Hope you continue to keep us informed.

• jmayoriginals

jmayoriginals said 5 years ago

"....you have to take risks and embrace change." very well put! thanks for posting!

• LadyCuba

LadyCuba said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update!

• Celticcatphotos

Celticcatphotos said 5 years ago

It has been a good year for me here on Etsy! Thank You!

• Celticcatphotos

Celticcatphotos said 5 years ago

It has been a good year for me here on Etsy! Thank You Etsy Admin. for all the great work!

• Hapagirls

Hapagirls said 5 years ago

I think we can all benefit from the new changes. Let's keep the communication flowing!

• NaturalGorgeous

NaturalGorgeous said 5 years ago

What a load of nonsense. I'm sorry, but that was the most non-informative post I've seen here yet. What a self-serving load of CEO-speak BS. Chad, spend less time galavanting in Berlin and more time focusing on fixing this site. Searching for items to buy is a nightmare; relevancy requirements mean our titles sound like they were written by hyperactive semi-literate carnival barkers, the site is plagued with resellers, drop-shippers and trademark infringers, but yeah - great job in Berlin, Chad. Also, its telling that the only quantified benchmark you offer is cumulative sales over the history of the site. How have sales been since the changes, compared to past years, adjusted for inflation? How about sales generated from US-based sellers vs. other regions? Those would be interesting numbers. If this is the best news you have to tell us, consider me nonplussed.

• robertcoffin

robertcoffin said 5 years ago

Change is good

• StandardVintage

StandardVintage said 5 years ago

thanks for the post!

• pamwares

pamwares said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update.

• HelenGotlib

HelenGotlib said 5 years ago

Congrats to Everyone on Etsy for this huge accomplishment! & a BIG thanks for featuring my drawing on this important milestone article. ;)

• LennyMud

LennyMud said 5 years ago

shipping calculator PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!

• zany500

zany500 said 5 years ago

OK.

• PookieandJack

PookieandJack said 5 years ago

Thank you for all the great information...Love the new shipping notification!

• Sweetlandarts

Sweetlandarts said 5 years ago

THANK YOU CHAD....PLUS...CAPS MEAN I AM HOPPING HAPPILY>....JUST LOOKED AT MY SHOP STATS AND NOW I SEE EXACTLY WHICH ITEMS RECEIVED HOW MANY VIEWS.....EXCELLENT!!!!!!!( And I know I didn't even ask for it.) Regarding art: Tagging art is sooo hard. All the various "names" on the dropdown menu are only used by some people and I think only art history folks know what goes in each category. PLUS, what artists CALL it, what ETSY calls it and what folks SEARCHING call it.....is all over the place. Would be AWESOME to figure out a somewhat simple way of making names that all three would be clear.....maybe a brief description on search, that Etsy sellers, and management could use since I think we really need to understand what the customer is trying to find. OH, REGARDING SHIPPING.....I Ship USPS, and they use numbers for different price zones, but they aren't necessarily compatible with the EU, non EU, etc. categories, so right now I would have to list each country......Is it possible to be able to put USPS Zone 1 (they are zones 1 through none) and then I could put a link to the USPS page with the Various countries in each zone and prices, etc.?

• PoochyCouture

PoochyCouture said 5 years ago

Change is good, when it's a positive one. Communication is also good, but telling sellers "Here are the changes we're making" but you have NO say in them bad or good. Sure wish someone would've asked and not told before changing relevancy or most recent. This worked for active shop owners and made etsy loads of money. Bring those back and watch sales soar. Stay with the current system and watch as we all die on the vine. We need help out here and want to know our concerns are being addressed and heard.

• soap

soap said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update - the increased communication is a great step in the right direction and much appreciated :) To echo OhFaro's post, longer lead times would be good too. And please, no more roll outs - until next year. It's too close to the holiday buying season to work out kinks/glitches which should be ironed out well before the season starts.

• ElainaLouiseStudios

ElainaLouiseStudios said 5 years ago

I love many of the new changes. Keep up the good work with communications as well. I'm also glad to hear that changes will be locked down over the holiday season. Trying to deal with changes during this busy time it too much for us shop owners.

• Mclovebuddy

Mclovebuddy said 5 years ago

i like the richard hooker reference. most of the updates and changes have been fantastic, though i'm looking forward to further tweaks for the search ads. i spent more and had the same numbers with views and likes regardless of the amount spent. i've worked on the keywords quite a bit.

• AmericanPurse

AmericanPurse said 5 years ago

Regarding the Search Ads...I have asked in emails to Etsy and in the forums but have had no response. Can you explain why we cannot select our own keywords? The main keywords shoppers use for my products are not options in earch Ads. I want to know why please.

• babystepsnmore

babystepsnmore said 5 years ago

I am especially happy with the changes on the Shop Stats page for sellers. It is great to have all that info in one place. Most of the updates and changes have definitely been in a positive direction. Thanks so much.

• calloohcallay

calloohcallay said 5 years ago

What a few weeks indeed. Do you know how crazy making this all is? Some of the changes may be good but ill timed, but others (such as burying the brand names that we've all worked so hard to build) are incomprehensible. There's some old management saw about not just climbing the tree fast, but being sure it's the right tree (or something like that--maybe there was a ladder in there somewhere). I would also love to see some follow through from admin when issues or questions are raised in Ideas and Bugs--too many issues go unanswered, until we all just give up. I hope that's not part of the strategy!

• calloohcallay

calloohcallay said 5 years ago

But I should add I do appreciate the increased communication overall. Bit improvement!

• SEOWebDesign

SEOWebDesign said 5 years ago

I could not agree more: "in order to make great progress, whether it’s in your personal life or in running your own business, you have to take risks and embrace change." Helen Keller said, "“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable."

• AlisaDesign

AlisaDesign said 5 years ago

Thank you!

• LazyTcrochet

LazyTcrochet said 5 years ago

Woohoo! Congrats 1 billion wow! How about an update to the BUY page? The new ways to shop should at least be accessible there as well. Thanks. Keep up the good work!

• uncommon

uncommon said 5 years ago

I think if the shopping experience can be made more user-friendly (via more obvious and attractive ways to shop, better search functionality, a smoother payment process), and then advertising is made a priority, our next billion dollars in sales will happen soo much faster. You guys have made some real strides lately--thanks for your efforts.

• NatureVisions

NatureVisions said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update! Out of curiosity, Chad, do you actually read the comments here? Some really good points have been made, and there are some important questions. It would be awesome if you or someone in the know would take the time to address them. Otherwise, there's really no point in leaving the comments open...

• CestSuperbeLabels

CestSuperbeLabels said 5 years ago

I've really enjoyed watching the video of your talk at hello Etsy. What I find interesting about the concept of persistence leading to success, is that you never know how many people persisted and never reached that success. You don't hear about them. So yes, it may be a necessary element in reaching success (just as hard work) but I don't see it as causally related to it. You need some other important factors. Like Luck. The right time. People who are successfull easily overlook this, because they know how hard they worked. But they forget others who worked hard too, but missed that bit of luck and did not reach the succes they hoped. Point being, when the desired end result is reached, people view the steps leading up to that succes in a different light than when they do not reach their goals.

• mhdown

mhdown said 5 years ago

Hi Chad, I appreciate the time you put into writing these. I'm assuming these are directer at sellers more than buyers though. One recent change at Etsy was the removal of "suggested shops" from members' favorites pages. http://www.etsy.com/blog/news/2011/learning-from-our-features/ I would disagree with your point above, "...we continue to raise our communication game so that you understand the changes we’re making and when we’re making them. To address this, we’ve have been taking specific steps to make sure you get critical information from us more regularly and quickly about things that affect you and your businesses on Etsy. " With the removal of the "suggested shops" feature it was announced on the blog as, "...Beginning today, we’ll be turning off the features listed below:" I don't think any buyers were notified of this except via the discussion forums (http://www.etsy.com/teams/7718/site-help/discuss/9131129/page/1 ). I'm not even sure how to find the Etsy News blog from the Etsy home page. I understand that change is an important part of a business and it will take place but I think there also needs to be an understanding that a marketplace requires both sellers and buyers. From the discussion forum postings many people enjoyed the ability to find new items and sellers via the "suggested shops". I hope that Etsy can make a better effort to communicate these changes to the community. Maybe announce changes on the homepage when they happen, or have a "What's New" section that can easily be found. Thanks, Matt

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

I've noted some of the other comments about wanting better communication. In my note above, I wanted to point out that we are raising our game, but that doesn't mean we are by any means perfect. We have lots of room for improvement, and I appreciate all the feedback. Below, I'll answer some of the specific questions:

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

@VintageAndVictorian - re: categories. categories are on our list to tackle for next year. That is definitely something we didn't want to change so close to the holiday season.

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

@weezieduzzit - re: shipping tools. Shipping tools are going to be a major focus for us after the holidays.

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

@rakubuttons - re: things I talked about in July. I'm assuming you mean making search better, bringing more buyers, making sellers more successful, and addressing the reseller issue. With search, we've switched to sort by relevancy, reflecting the way buyers use search elsewhere on the Internet and giving us the ability to improve search over time. Sort by recency actually prevented us from making search better in any real way, since the last person who listed would come up first regardless of whether the item was relevant. In terms of bringing in more buyers, I mentioned the new ways to shop above (fashion, home, kids) but didn't mention this above, but changes to our policies allow us to email buyers to encourage them to revisit Etsy, not only sellers (the couple more features coming up before the peak holiday season will be buyer-focused). We've had a team of people actively working on resellers (I review progress regularly), but you're right, nothing visible just yet, so I can understand how it can seem like a lack of progress. We're still working on it.

• chaddickerson Admin

chaddickerson said 5 years ago

@mhdown - re: "suggested shops" communications. Sounds like a communications miss on our part. Your suggestions are good ones, and we're always thinking of how to get better. For example, when we made it possible for changes in shop names, we had a message upon login that gave information on the changes in context. We are always looking for the best balance between communicating frequently and not overwhelming folks with messages.

• COLORxMExGLASS

COLORxMExGLASS said 5 years ago

Thank you for the update! Hopefully with the holiday season coming sales will be better.

• AntiquesDjour

AntiquesDjour said 5 years ago

thanks chad for not addressing privacy concerns or any of the lies and deceptions regarding KISSmetrics and the sale of our info at all.

• realgems4realwomen

realgems4realwomen said 5 years ago

Hi Chad! Appreciate your Etsy promotions and speaking gigs. The more the merrier. I am glad to see new ways to shop for customers, and would be very interested in knowing how our input info such as tags, materials can help guid cutomers. I am new on Etsy, but not to jewelry design, and I would love more opportunity to categorize my work. For example, something might not be simply for a given holiday, but it might be appropriate for any gift-giving occasion. More specifics in those categories might help, as well as more flexibility in the "style" category. I would love to be able to direct customers who love art jewelry that is practical and wearable, for example, but how to convey that beyond tagging? Thanks!

• spanishbelle

spanishbelle said 5 years ago

Chad: Glad you added the new features! For those of us who have decided not to Tweet or use other features to communicate, I am saddened by the removal of the email link in listings – I used to flip so many to my friends and family as I knew that they would buy the items I found for them. That said, why not bring that back? Also, I know a “pat” answer when I see one (i.e. “@crochetgal - re: removing features, even when they are used by few people. These are always tough choices because we grow to love certain features (even us here inside Etsy). We spend a surprising amount of time maintaining even small features, so removing the less-used ones helps us focus on more important things.” Seriously, I work in management and it sounds like a pat answer to quiet any uproar.

• moonflowercreations

moonflowercreations said 5 years ago

Thanks for the update Chad.:) I'm hoping that things start picking up for me here on Etsy. Have a lovely Autumn day!:)

• DorotaJewelry

DorotaJewelry said 5 years ago

Thank you very much for the update, Chad.

• CobwebCorner

CobwebCorner said 5 years ago

Please bring back Time Machine - It was my favorite tool as a buyer to find things I didn't even know I wanted. Seriously! This was a HUGE mistake to take that feature away. Please bring it back.

• ThePeacockFeather

ThePeacockFeather said 5 years ago

CHAD are you almost done? sales are becoming non existent. wonder how your lawn care business would have fared if your father had kept taking your lawn mower away everytime you got a new customer.

• ionesAttic

ionesAttic said 5 years ago

thank you for the new shop stats visual...it is a HUGE boon to the visual and less analytical learner.

• ionesAttic

ionesAttic said 5 years ago

thank you for the new shop stats visuals...a boon to the less analytical and more visual learner.

• ionesAttic

ionesAttic said 5 years ago

and I'll third that!

• unflappableproducts

unflappableproducts said 5 years ago

i psrticularly like the way the FP looks now without the "you might likes" It was looking way too cluttered-much more eye appealing now!

• PotpourriOfFAVORS

PotpourriOfFAVORS said 5 years ago

Please bring the Time Machine back! As a seller, it was helpful to see the kinds of items that were selling. As a buyer, it was great to see all that was newly listed AND those listings about to expire(sometimes a deal could be found). I was so disappointed when I went to find the Time Machine to do some browsing...and it was GONE!

• PoochyCouture

PoochyCouture said 5 years ago

TIme Machine withdrawals...Please bring it back...

• berthabrightmarke

berthabrightmarke said 5 years ago

This is a very informative article and gives me hope for the future.

• GardenHomeArt

GardenHomeArt said 5 years ago

I'm finding Etsy such a fantastic venue, with so much information available to help sellers - love the new Shop Stats!

• Blairgbob

Blairgbob said 5 years ago

love etsy!

• ImagineThatCustDesig

ImagineThatCustDesig said 5 years ago

Love all the changes! and what you said about taking risks and embracing change. Best Wishes! tammy

• Artistgirlie

Artistgirlie said 5 years ago

Since August, no one can find me, my sales have hit the bottom, and I am losing my desire to even post new items because who knows where they end up or when they will be viewed. I tried to stay positive and try the Search Ads, and I got an amazing 5 views. I am feeling as if the rug got pulled out from under my feet, and am considering closing shop.

• HandcraftedorVintage

HandcraftedorVintage said 5 years ago

I hope you will react soon on our concerns about the fact that Etsy is going to send an e-mail to OUR customers once they have bought something from US at the first time. Spamming them with links to other shops where they can spend more money. This is a violation of privacy, simply taking information out of Etsy's transaction database to do this. Those transactions are private and I and many others do not want you to Welcome my customer, because I already do that myself when I confirm the sale to MY customer. Please reconsider doing this.

• LepelstatCrafts

LepelstatCrafts said 5 years ago

May sales have gone to 0. Yes ZERO. Since all of these changes last year. I used to average at this time of year up to 50 sales for the year. Now I am at ZERO! I am spending for the ads and promoting, but still no sales. I know my products are good and so are my prices. I would love to see Chat come back and not be buried under 5 pages. You want more community but after literally hundreds of posts on chat, it still was let go. Chad I want MY lawn mower back! Happy Sales all!

• TheSilverBranch

TheSilverBranch said 5 years ago

In the spirit of clearer communication and forward progress, I suggest etsy actually have a phone number clearly listed. What's etsy afraid of here?

• FranzsFeaturedFotos

FranzsFeaturedFotos said 5 years ago

I totally agree with you @PeacockFeathe and LepelastatCrafts !!!r! I am one of those shop owners. I am about to give up! All I feel like I am doing is tweaking key words to get noticed spending more on my ads just to be seen and Treasury if thats the only way to get notice I am in trouble. I I work full time and it is so hard to manage all these changes. I like change do not get me wrong , but it need to be for the good! I have had no sales in along time. You also seem to have to be in the "In Crowd" to get notice. Find someone who know how to master the maze of key words.

• FranzsFeaturedFotos

FranzsFeaturedFotos said 5 years ago

I think it is time for me to move to artfire! I love etsy but you have to be on the computer 24 I dont have 24

• sentimentalstones

sentimentalstones said 5 years ago

The new shipping notification feature is awesome. Love it and it is a time saver for me as well! Thank you!

• vicmizzy

vicmizzy said 5 years ago

Chad, your presence is needed in the Forums on that 330-some page thread. Mikey is obviously incapable of providing any real answers or addressing any concerns of the many sellers there. Please take a moment. Please.

• PoochyCouture

PoochyCouture said 5 years ago

Google says "RECENCY IN" relevancy OUT...What now Etsy...

• ClothandINK

ClothandINK said 5 years ago

I want to compliment Etsy on the hard work you've put in over the last 6 months. I've really noticed changes for the better. I was initially apprehensive about selling on Etsy because of comments I'd heard from people mainly about searches and navigating. But I feel it is much more user friendly for shoppers now and great new features for sellers. I'm now a proud Etsy store owner :) Well done!

• EmsJewlery

EmsJewlery said 5 years ago

Wow, reading this makes me feel that this isn't just my imagination, that something has been seriously wrong here for the past two months. I had good sales until the end of September and then boom, mostly gone. Back in my imagination I felt like someone put a "block" on my Etsy store, but I knew that couldn't possibly happen. This doesn't bode well for the "Holiday Season". I feel that when I post an item it is just throwing my money down the drain and a little depressing and greatly hampers my creativity!!!!!

• tomsgrossmami

tomsgrossmami said 5 years ago

hm, i am new on etsy, lot of information. some confusing, especially the one that sales have droped since the changes on etsy. but isn't it also just possible that we are in a recession and people do not spend the same amount of money they did last summer? are there any figures from etsy? did the sales drop in general or just the ones from the complaining shop owners who are not happy with the new tools? although i did not make any sales yet i think etsy is a great plattform to open a shop with great peole behind.

• LOVERDOXIE

LOVERDOXIE said 5 years ago

I left the Corporate world when my husband was transferred to Florida. I loved Miami, he hated it. Now we live in the middle of nowhere, I do not know anyone here. I discovered Etsy and I find something new every day. I was the Director of Sales and Marketing for the third largest medical company in the world. I love meeting people from other countries, I recently met someone from Romania and Bucharest and I find it fascinating. I am a vintage freak, so I really love that. I was wondering if you have a list of countries Etsy deal with or how can I find people on Etsy from other places. Thank you, Best Allison