A Summit on Small Business and Sustainability

May 3, 2011

by matt

matt_bio.jpg

On September 17 and 18, 2011, Etsy will be holding its first ever conference. Taking place in Berlin, Germany, Hello Etsy: A Summit on Small Business and Sustainability is a hands-on gathering for small business owners who want to connect with their peers, learn the skills to find success and independence, and be part of the movement to build human-scale economies.

We think this is unethical, unsustainable, and unfun.

However, with the rise of small businesses around the world we feel hope and see real opportunities: Opportunities for us to measure success in new ways… to build local, living economies, and most importantly, to help create a more permanent future.

Join us, and learn the skills to help you succeed with your small business and hear the words that will inspire you do so.

Hello_etsy_2.jpg

Vintage tote from vintup

FAQ:

Will the conference be in German?
No, this is an international event, and all sessions will be held in English and relevant to small businesses around the world.

What will it cost to attend?

Tickets are an affordable 85 Euros for the weekend.  Unlike most conferences, this is not a money making undertaking or an event for marketing people to drum up new business for their corporate employers. Hello Etsy is a gathering for individuals, most of whom are working out of their homes.

Are things only happening in Germany?

We know many of you will not be able to make it to Berlin. Therefore,  we will be hosting satellite events in cities around the world. Most keynote sessions will also be broadcast via the web, and downloadable workshop guides will be available.

Where is it being held exactly?

Hello Etsy will take place at ewerk, Germany’s oldest preserved commercial power plant. Built in 1885, the ewerk has witnessed Berlin’s constantly evolving history, surviving two world wars, communist rule, and the rise of capitalism. It’s located in the heart of Berlin and is easily accessible by public transportation.

Sounds amazing! Where do I buy my ticket?

Tickets are now available, please visit helloetsy.com.

Hello Etsy on Facebook | Hello Etsy on Twitter

• JudiPaintedit

JudiPaintedit said 9 years ago

YAY!!! AWESOME!!!!!! I would love to learn more about web site building and your brand. We have info on marketing, photography, etc... but nothing on website building.

• JudiPaintedit

JudiPaintedit said 9 years ago

Also legal stuff....... Give us some small business legal advise.

• EarthMosaics

EarthMosaics said 9 years ago

I would so love to attend! Berlin is the perfect place for this conference and I truly envy those who will be able to go.

• prairieboutique

prairieboutique said 9 years ago

Woohoo! I'd love to attend too...if it was closer. I love the ideas from JudiPaintedit!

• TheBloomingThread

TheBloomingThread said 9 years ago

Sounds very awesome! Is there some way to stream any of the content so those of use who arent able to attend (or arent fortunate to have a conference in a city near to us) can still benefit? thatd be great! I'd love to gain more knowledge of the in's and out's of running a SUCCESSFUL small business. Thanks Etsy!

• WoodlandCottage

WoodlandCottage said 9 years ago

Thanks for organizing this--it's a movement gaining ground, and it's high time for the world to look at sustainable alternatives such as micro economies and local consumption. I'd like to see more how-tos on photography, especially lighting; Photoshop or Gimp; financial/accounting/inventory tracking. How to organize a co-op or guild.

• polkadotmagpie

polkadotmagpie said 9 years ago

Oh man, I am going to Berlin in March...I think I'll just wait around for the conference to start. :-)

• TheMillineryShop

TheMillineryShop said 9 years ago

Wow, it sounds like a great conference. Wonder how I could swing it...

• TwinkleStarCrafts

TwinkleStarCrafts said 9 years ago

Thank you very much for the info!

• atelier28

atelier28 said 9 years ago

Excellent! Ditto JudiPaintedit, legal stuff would be helpful.

• PeriDotbyDuni

PeriDotbyDuni said 9 years ago

This conference sounds amazing. I am checking my calendar to see if I'm able to make it! How exciting! Thanks for organizing such a great event.

• StrandRedesign

StrandRedesign said 9 years ago

Wow! It is actually possible for me to go there! Yay!

• MegansMenagerie

MegansMenagerie said 9 years ago

Awesome! Sounds like fun!

• myvintagecrush

myvintagecrush said 9 years ago

Lucky!! Thats sounds great!

• daydreamjewels

daydreamjewels said 9 years ago

it sounds great...

• ITEMFACTORY

ITEMFACTORY said 9 years ago

great!

• blueroompottery

blueroompottery said 9 years ago

I have been saying this for the past 15 years!! The future of any economy lays in the small to medium size businesses. Europe has realized this 20 years ago and the European Union since back then came up with special grant programs and promotions. I was still living in Greece at the time and caught the beginning of it. We as small business owners and artists have a versatility and a quickness that big companies don't. We can very quickly turn around and renew or renovate our products, and stay ahead of the bad copies that are made of our work in some other country and flood the market. They make molds out of our work and have to use them. We can make a new beautiful product quicker than they can keep up with us, and so on... I love seeing Etsy becoming an influential force in this matter, it's wonderful that there are still some visionaries in this world. We all MUST help it!! Thank you Etsy

• SophistiFunkVintage

SophistiFunkVintage said 9 years ago

What a wonderful and timely event! I would attend if it was at all possible. For those who are undecided but are able to, it's worth the investment not only for the networking and knowledge to be gained but also for the support and publicity that can be shown and generated from a group of responsible, passionate, and driven small business owners. Good luck to the organizers!

• NorthwestVanguard

NorthwestVanguard said 9 years ago

This sounds like an amazing opportunity! I'm so excited!

• shizendesigns

shizendesigns said 9 years ago

I love it!

• TheVinylChalkboard

TheVinylChalkboard said 9 years ago

This sounds amazing! Hopefully you will come to a city near me soon!

• blainedesign

blainedesign said 9 years ago

Can you video tape it and make it available online?

• jennybradley

jennybradley said 9 years ago

I think this is a wonderful idea. Having a place to sit down and really analyze what's working, set future goals, and get organized with the support of others will be wonderful to do face to face. I am particularly interested in the development of micro-economies. As the world has globalized I think many of us are seeing some bad results of the strain it puts on the earth, and how takes away from direct community growth. I would like to see information not just on developing ones personal business but also a more broad approach of how independent businesses can continue to organize and influence the worlds economies.

• outofline

outofline said 9 years ago

I love what blueroompottery had to say! So happy to see that these issues of small business being accepted and vital are coming around.

• LittleWrenPottery

LittleWrenPottery said 9 years ago

Sounds like a great event, plus it'd be cool to visit Berlin. I can't wait to find out more!

• CarryTheWord

CarryTheWord said 9 years ago

Sounds like an excellent idea!

• SweetlyScrappedArt

SweetlyScrappedArt said 9 years ago

Legal and organization. I believe that we are all artistic in one way, and we do it because we love it. Now we need to know to nurture it and how it can grow. I love what I do with all my heart but don't know where to go from here.

• PlumeandPetals

PlumeandPetals said 9 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful article!~

• rarebeasts

rarebeasts said 9 years ago

Sounds like a great idea.

• tfamily5

tfamily5 said 9 years ago

sounds amazing, wish i could be there!

• paintedlips

paintedlips said 9 years ago

How fantastic! I'll be sad to miss this....

• thelittlemarket

thelittlemarket said 9 years ago

Sounds like an amazing opportunity! Wish I was closer.

• weatheredsilo

weatheredsilo said 9 years ago

Amen to organizing this vital event. We all can make a difference. Thank you for your commitment to sustainability. Cheers, Mandy

• oldish

oldish said 9 years ago

Since Berlin is only one hour plane trip away I will be there. Betya! My admiration for Etsy is growing every day. Now this, it only shows how serious you are. Very good. So interesting.

• heartcity

heartcity said 9 years ago

This is so exciting! And very necessary. Can't wait to watch the sessions or get to go to a similar conference in the future in the states!

• AugustTwo

AugustTwo said 9 years ago

What a great idea. Thanks so much for puting something like this together! I'd love to learn more about sourcing supplies (where to get bulk quantities of good quality supplies that are made in an eco-friendly way, and are fair-trade), business book-keeping, and would love to hear from start-ups that maybe didn't make it, and why (kind of a "learn from our mistakes" class. like the opposite of "Quit you day job"). This it exciting! thanks Etsy!

• thepapermoonstudio

thepapermoonstudio said 9 years ago

I love this and think it is LONG overdue!! Thanks so much Etsy!

• SilverFirsFarm

SilverFirsFarm said 9 years ago

very cool... but darn wish it was state side.

• Urbanknit

Urbanknit said 9 years ago

interesting....

• TheWinglessDesigns

TheWinglessDesigns said 9 years ago

Eee! ^_^

• EmilyAliceBall

EmilyAliceBall said 9 years ago

Such a great idea, and Germany could be an option for me - looking forward to seeing who will be speaking and more details. Wow.

• 5orangepotatoes

5orangepotatoes said 9 years ago

I would love to visit Berlin and attend this summit!!

• organicpinklady

organicpinklady said 9 years ago

How about having the conference accessible online too? That would be great!

• megandarienzo

megandarienzo said 9 years ago

I'd love to be able to participate online...Will that be possible? Sounds like a great opportunity to get some really useful information!

• camilita

camilita said 9 years ago

I will like that too, able to attend on line. There are so many topics of interest for me: social media for example

• fascinique

fascinique said 9 years ago

Thank you Etsy you do a great job - as always!

• nightowlcraftworks

nightowlcraftworks said 9 years ago

Why isn't any of this stuff ever near me?! Oh... I remember! I'm in Wisconsin :P

• percyhandmade

percyhandmade said 9 years ago

This looks fantastic! I would love to go but living in Australia makes it a bit hard. I love the idea of online participation too. It would be wonderful to see video streaming so we don't miss out!

• AlisaBrides

AlisaBrides said 9 years ago

Wow, sounds so interesting. Why Germany, though? Would have loved to learn how to advance my wedding business :(

• EncourageCreations

EncourageCreations said 9 years ago

Etsy is already so global... Germany is the leader in solar energy - what a great connection to be making - Thanks Etsy!!

• KettleConfections

KettleConfections said 9 years ago

Great idea- thank you Etsy for making shopping in the marketplace fun, interesting, and personable again!

• Joystreet

Joystreet said 9 years ago

Wow-this would be so great to attend! looking forward to hearing more!

• Tuuni

Tuuni said 9 years ago

Sounds very interesting! I would very much like to attend. Can't wait to hear more about the event.

• PilliPillihandmade

PilliPillihandmade said 9 years ago

GREAT! And finally this is on my continent!!! Pilli pilli might jut have to get on a plane to Berlin to be there those two glorious day!!! :D I'm looking forward to it! *Thanks!*

• MamaKs

MamaKs said 9 years ago

I would love to see some workshops/speakers on becoming successful while raising a family (especially young kids). I would be happy to host a round table...

• PetitPlat

PetitPlat said 9 years ago

Oh that sounds great! I'll try to be in Berlin at that time, hopefully nothing else comes up. I like the fact you want to inspire people to buy handmade. Insist of the value of handmade items. They might be more expensive but they're unique and you chose them with care. To help sellers I think you should cover up: - marketing - social network (which is closely related to marketing in our cases) - customer service (which is the reason why people buy handmade in the first place) Someone said "legal stuff". But I don't see how you could do that. Law is different from country to country and even between France and Germany there's a world of difference. Maybe trying to direct people to the right competences. And although I'm not keen on making the conference I'll gladly answer questions on a little booth :D But anyway, thanks a lot! This is so exciting I can't wait to be there :)

• MamaKs

MamaKs said 9 years ago

and also on cooperative ownership structures/ hiring employees.

• redemptionart

redemptionart said 9 years ago

It appears that there is a need for administrative/business expertise. In America, there are so many displaced persons with these backgrounds, who are well versed in local law, personnel issues, etc. It would be wise to encourage the establishment of work from home micro-economy administrators, who could provide contracted support to artists, vendors, etc. Thank you for always being on the "bleeding edge" Aloha!

• babybandito

babybandito said 9 years ago

Brilliant! And I love Berlin, so... I've been to a session on photography from Etsy and the only problem with it was that it wasn't really a workshop, more a lecture. I think something more hands on where we bring our cameras and there are photo-savvy folks (and I know there are TONNES in the Etsy community) to tutor us amateurs in small groups. I think that would be infinitely useful. Also, I agree with WoodlandCottage and many others about finance/inventory/accounting. I'm hopeless with these things, as I think a lot of creatives probably are.

• sparkleandstorm

sparkleandstorm said 9 years ago

I love how Etsy supports small business. I think people are ready to merge away from big corporations and shop for more personal and meaningful items. Thanks for all you do!!

• Galavant

Galavant said 9 years ago

This is a really interesting initiative - go Etsy!! I would be interested to see something on writing business plans (why should I bother and how do I do it), something on basic accounting skills, maybe a photoshop/photo editing session and maybe something about building a brand/the need to copyright your ideas etc... Also lots of fun social and crafty activities of course!

• kimmchi

kimmchi said 9 years ago

so exciting!

• SkiDoodle

SkiDoodle said 9 years ago

I wish I could be there..!

• vKnit

vKnit said 9 years ago

this sounds amazing! although i won't be able to attend, I look forward to hearing what will be going on! :) xox

• pinkbijou

pinkbijou said 9 years ago

Great!

• ZellerZazzles

ZellerZazzles said 9 years ago

What an incredible event - I would love to be able to make it! Thank you for offering such a great opportunity to all us small business people! :)

• ValerieGalloway

ValerieGalloway said 9 years ago

What a fantastic idea! I'd love to be able to make it:)

• TheLittleRooster

TheLittleRooster said 9 years ago

I wish I was in Germany so I could go! This sounds amazing :) Congrats to Etsy for their first conference :)

• adjewelry

adjewelry said 9 years ago

this sounds fantastic - is there a way to broadcast this event? can we get a summary somehow?

• BigWord

BigWord said 9 years ago

Very exciting! I hope it is the first of many.

• CovetedVintage

CovetedVintage said 9 years ago

I am thrilled about this event. Congrats to etsy and all of its wonderful people committed to redefining what commerce ought to look like. Wishing you all the best.

• iulianalove

iulianalove said 9 years ago

This sounds super interesting!

• coolclimates

coolclimates said 9 years ago

sounds awfully tempting. I just don't know if I could afford it but I've always wanted to visit Berlin.

• runawaywombat

runawaywombat said 9 years ago

Keep growing etsy. Hooray for small business.

• steinschmuckdesign

steinschmuckdesign said 9 years ago

Absolutely Time for this:) I just signed up !

• halloemily Admin

halloemily said 9 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions so far! We are very excited about "Hello Etsy" and it's great to see that you are, too. We know that not everyone will be able to make it to Berlin. Therefore, most keynote sessions will also be broadcast via the web, and downloadable workshop guides will be available. Also we are planning to host small-business oriented events in cities around the world in the lead-up to the conference.

• LittlePopMachine

LittlePopMachine said 9 years ago

GO ETSY!!! great initiative! I would personally like to hear about how to make good and effective marketing! We are waiting really excited!

• tashamck

tashamck said 9 years ago

Really excited about this event and an excuse to take a trip to Europe!

• SplyPixie

SplyPixie said 9 years ago

As always - wonderful notion and a clear example of Etsy putting their money where their mouths are and using logic, integrity and heart to light the way for us all! Some brain storming sessions or mini lectures on advise on how to encourage more reticent, corporate brainwashed local folk to let go of the notion that all that we promote and strive for in the Etsy Community isn't mere 'tree hugging poppycock' could be helpful. There seems to be a misguided notion that handmade, Organic and mindfully sustainable products are the reserve of the 'posh' or financially advantaged...how to get through this mentality in the least 'preachy' was possible is surely key to the success of micro-economies - help! :o) other topics previous members have mentioned sound fantastic too but we have unswerving faith that there will be something for everyone and I really hope to be able to attend! ***Happy Friday*** Katya Xx

• Donee

Donee said 9 years ago

Great!

• muratyusuf

muratyusuf said 9 years ago

beautiful

• empapers

empapers said 9 years ago

Thanks Matt - per your recommendation I asked for 'Deep Economy' for Christmas. I got it and read it in about 2 days. My husband's reading it now. I'm all over it!

• StrangeVagaries

StrangeVagaries said 9 years ago

The focus seems forever on how to present/network/market in order to sell. "How to sell" is not really the problem. The problem here lies in how the decision "to buy" is made, or whether to buy at all. Shops or the sellers are not somehow lacking. Most sales of this nature are transacted within the circle of those who understand this whole ethic. Those who understand readily buy in, literally. Sellers are the buyers in a closed loop. Here's the rub: Conscious consumers buy mainly necessities and the occasional meaningful treat. It's a utilitarian sensibility. That ethic is already much stronger in Europe. While in America, mindless consumption and rabid demand for "cheap" and frivolous is a disgrace, a "lifestyle" choice many will actually defend! The problem is the hundreds of millions of mindless consumers. SplyPixie is so right on. So how to get people to raise the bar on quality, get them out of the habit of accepting poor quality, planned obsolescence and trendy frivolties soaked in formaldehyde. Get people conscientious, to want "smart", to expect excellence, or bespoke customization. What really makes the difference? 2 words: Educated Consumers. Sellers must show up offering something with meaningful, practical and lasting value, but beyond this, they are now called upon to educate more consumers and get outside the box. The sheer numbers that make up the beast of mindless consumption is astounding. How to move beyond this closed loop model and expand into the "mainstream" consumption taking place while maintaining the integrity? Thanks for all that you are doing through etsy and affiliates. Keep up the good works. :)

• antigoni

antigoni said 9 years ago

great idea! Small business and handmade is about.. best quality, customer respect, eco friendly, unique and expression of new ideas! I hope that taking actions like this will really help to educate customers as StrangeVagaries said. Etsy as a global community has a great power to help on all these issues. I do like the "Think globally act locally" It's very difficult for me to be at Berlin but I would not say no to an Athens - Greece hosted event ... :)))

• Banquet

Banquet said 9 years ago

Excellent idea! I would be interested in a discussion around manufacturing. How do you manage to make your products sustainably, ethically but affordable? Excellent post and I will be sure to sign up for the newsletter.

• creationsbyeve

creationsbyeve said 9 years ago

brilliant idea!

• oneperfectday

oneperfectday said 9 years ago

This sounds exciting! Keep us posted!

• lacravatteduchien

lacravatteduchien said 9 years ago

It's wonderful to see event like these really happening in a world that looks more and more like ownership of the big companies! I wish I'll be able to come to Berlin. Will be a good excuse for eating some pretzel and drinking some beer! :p But if not as Antigoni said 4 posts up it would be lovely if one of the following events to be in Greece! :)

• DOMINICANLOUNGE

DOMINICANLOUNGE said 9 years ago

sounds amazing. It is pretty far from me, I am in the Caribbean, but I would like to possibly attend any workshop in USA. Miami is pretty close, so I will keep my eyes on. Thank you!

• rubisartnmore

rubisartnmore said 9 years ago

Go Etsy! How about a video summary for those of us who are unable to attend?

• granatina

granatina said 9 years ago

That is an awesome idea! I'd like to be there! And, I think, the ewerk is a great place for such an event! I’m new at etsy, I’ve opened my shop just before christmas. The etsy community helped me a lot in these crisis times when I couldn’t earn money in my original profession, in architecture, and I tought a lot what can I do with my life, with my creativity,... where can I go with my questions... and now is a great feeling to see how the world is opening for me - in a geographic and in a figurative sense, too! I appreciate very much your work in sustanaibility, your helpful attitude and your useful advices in building small businesses! I’m happy to be part of such a community!

• zerocivico

zerocivico said 9 years ago

Thank you. I will try to be in Berlin

• Kirschbits

Kirschbits said 9 years ago

Excellent Matt! We'll be there!! :D

• KingArtsAndVintage

KingArtsAndVintage said 9 years ago

Berlin has a great contemporary arts scene. I'd love to see a feature on the fine art offerings on Etsy while they are there - The Etsy/Berlin Art Fair perhaps?? Mmmmmm...

• empapers

empapers said 9 years ago

A thought for a conference/breakout topic: How to reconcile worldwide internet commerce with the idea of participating in a local economy (wrestling with this a bit myself)

• dyouwelz

dyouwelz said 9 years ago

Great opportunity! I knew there was another reason (other than just for following the man of my life here) for living in Germany! It would be great to hear about SEO, Social Media, some photoshop/ gimp tricks, offline marketing for online businesses and all those other things we should know about but never knew we did. Thanks!

• eliteartisans

eliteartisans said 9 years ago

This sounds like a great idea! I wonder if a synopsis or information shared will be posted later on the site.

• workisnotajob

workisnotajob said 9 years ago

I am SO there!

• GalleonGal

GalleonGal said 9 years ago

Berlin is far from me, Yet This will be great opportunity for small business

• PaperPhine

PaperPhine said 9 years ago

To be honest, I expect from an etsy summit than workshops and lectures on photography, SEO, social media or business advice. All of these are important and some kind of workshop structure will be good to address these issues in smaller groups, but what I really expect is a bigger and inspiring picture about the changes that are happening - and surely etsy is part of these changes towards a re-evaluation of "crafts" and "handmade". Therefore I think you should invite people like - Richard Sennett ("The Craftman"and other publications) - Matthew B. Crawford ("Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work") or even - Tom Hodgkinson ("How to be Idle", "How to Be Free"and others). Other possibilities for interesting speakers include - Daniel H. Pink ("Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself" - this really is etsy!) - Richard Floriday ("The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community and Everyday Life" - not new, but mind- and eye-opening) For speakers coming from Germany Jochen Kuhnen (Kassel), Sabine Wilp (Leitung Handwerksform, Hannover) and John Stopford (Luckau) come to mind who are all actively engaged with some aspects of the crafts/arts/handmade. Somebody you might think about to invite are the people from the British Crafts Council. As far as I'm aware it's a unique institution in Europe, they have a lot of experience and they have facts and figures to present. Yes, I've done my research - so if you're looking for a versatile speaker, active seller on etsy and shop-owner with all the theoretical background, too, drop me a line! (And yes, I speak German if you want me to, too). And if you need more ideas of have follow-up questions on my suggestions, drop me a line, too! Looking forward to see you in Berlin

• fibrous

fibrous said 9 years ago

I'd like to learn more about creating your own individual online space - as in finding your customers, and building a brand.

• ArtMind

ArtMind said 9 years ago

I can't wait, not only for the content but also to meet many inspiring and creative peeps! :)

• MyVintageStudio

MyVintageStudio said 9 years ago

I'd love you to invite Wayne Hemingway to speak - he did a talk on vintage and sustainability recently and was hugely inspiring. I'll be there!

• newbyart

newbyart said 9 years ago

My husband and I are avid etsy fans and American artists moving to Germany in late August or early September. We're hoping to start an artist co-op there, so it would be amazing to attend this and learn more about how creative entrepreneurship in Germany / how to look for sources of gov't funding, etc to foster a community of working artists. Thanks!! :)

• halloemily Admin

halloemily said 9 years ago

Hey all! Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments. It's all taking shape more and more. We will soon present the final homepage www.helloetsy.com and some speakers and sessions that have already been confirmed. Sign up for the newsletter to be informed.

• EarthAngelGallery

EarthAngelGallery said 9 years ago

Very interesting, indeed! I am a Berliner and live in Wisconsin, USA, right now! You chose a GREAT place for your first-ever conference!!! Berlin clearly holds the energy of "Avantgarde", "Thinking outside the box", the "Revolutionary" and big time "Freedom"! Berlin is a melting pot, a vortex where things come together, are taken apart and put together in a new way, spiraling out into the world. As artists, we are on the foreground of creation. Recreating and recreating ourselves! The art world is changing drastically. What I have been thinking about is how I can be the creator of my art and fill at the same time the gap that the vanishing of distribution networks, such as galleries, left. I often feel overwhelmed when it comes down to doing all the other 'jobs' that come with promoting my art, such as working on my website, photoshopping my pictures, applying for art shows or grant projects, showing my work to galleries, framing paintings, printing cards, and it goes on and on, and then still find the time for the MOST IMPORTANT: PAINTING (which is what I LOOOOVE)!!! It is about 'Being in the job' versus 'Being on the job', the creator vs. the manager. Currently, I am doing both, as a lot of us, I think. I really want to be the creator, paint, paint, paint, and not wonder about 'how do I get my Beauties out into the world'! These are just some thoughts that I've been pondering, and I don't have an answer...

• NeonSun

NeonSun said 9 years ago

Sounds like a fantastic idea!

• chickadoolane

chickadoolane said 9 years ago

Please please please, let us all know what is talked about when it happens...Im in Australia and Its proberly a bit far for me to go for a conference

• ShadeOfABonsai

ShadeOfABonsai said 9 years ago

Far out - I'll actually be in Germany then (for 5 wks from Australia) but will be at a wedding then. Sounds wunderbar!

• nicolaclare7

nicolaclare7 said 9 years ago

Perfect excuse to visit Berlin for the first time. I'm already excited, can't wait to find out more about tickets and speakers. I'll have to start looking at flights! yay.

• BohemiaJewellery

BohemiaJewellery said 9 years ago

So exciting!! Hope I can attend. Thanks Etsy!

• AFLEBijoux

AFLEBijoux said 9 years ago

Fantastic! I will definitely try to make it! Information about the legal aspects of selling worldwide from Germany as a small business (and of course any other legal information) will be more than appreciated. Thank you for organizing such an event! Best, Oukassa

• AFLEBijoux

AFLEBijoux said 9 years ago

• oppning

oppning said 9 years ago

This is great, we will definitly be there. Sounds really interesting and I am convinced I am going to learn many things about how to run a small business. Also the location looks amazing, I love those old buildings that have been rehabilitated. We might have a suggestion of a topic: shipping. We seem to have problems finding the right approach for worldwide shipping. Which company to chose, knowing that depending on the size and weight of the package, the costs can be very different from one compagny to another. For example, is it a good idea to subscribe to one compagny to reduce the shipping costs ? Things like that. I don't know if it's a topic that could be part of the conference, but I thought I would mention it here. Anyway, what a great initiative, we'll be there ! Olivier and Caroline from Öppning

• deedeen

deedeen said 9 years ago

I do agree with öppning... Shipping is my "black dot": it's really expensive, and the majority of shipping companies just don't care about the environment... So maybe there could be a topic about that? And I'm so looking forward september... We were wondering if we would go to Berlin to see some friends, and now we know we have to! Yay!

• cristinapires

cristinapires said 9 years ago

OMG! I'm SO excited!!! How do I get tickets? Definately going for sure : )

• Ahoimeise

Ahoimeise said 9 years ago

That's crazy. I just talked to a german organizer of a craft market about the idea of making a conference. I thought about Profile Intermedia Conference wich was an amazing festival of crossover arts, music, design and film in Bremen and the possibility of doing the same for the uprising handmade scene. Thank you for making it real! It was always a very inspiring event and Hello Etsy sounds too!

• luanabug

luanabug said 9 years ago

etsy does it again.. a great event, certain to produce even more great ideas. workshop or information on cradle to cradle certification for hand made products could be interesting!

• luly12

luly12 said 9 years ago

Thats great, I'm new in this handmade world and as I leave in Zurich things can be really expensive and also you dont really find any courses for handmede cosmetics, so I do alot of resaerch on the internet or by reading books. but the internet can be sometimes misleading. for me very interesting would be a workshop of how to keep the products fresh for selling, eg. Vitamin E as a preservative.

• melange4you

melange4you said 9 years ago

Looks great.......thank you...

• LillieoftheValley

LillieoftheValley said 9 years ago

Great!! too far for me to to travel though with the cost of things these days. i hope they will have on in the US too in future days. Small business is the best!! And i would much rather support small handmade and vintage than corporate

• MarKhed

MarKhed said 9 years ago

Wow! What a great idea! It would be awesome if you held a competition for a free trip there!

• steampunkjunk

steampunkjunk said 9 years ago

I love this! I also like MarKheds idea of the free trip contest. I would love to go.

• strawberryluna

strawberryluna said 9 years ago

Holy Awesome Batman!!! How rad, my only regret is that I won't be in Berlin for this. BUt you guys go forth and rock ON. Congratulations and have a super summit. I know you will! Can't wait to hear all about it. xo

• KAWAIISHOPBYNURY

KAWAIISHOPBYNURY said 9 years ago

i love the idea...i want to go there too with all my KAWAII PRODUCTS...maybe there i can sell it all...!

• AuntieKaren

AuntieKaren said 9 years ago

Too much jet fuel from where I live. Good luck with the summit! http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4db5d04d649a6d91dbaffa4a/you-go-etsy?index=0

• YUNG

YUNG said 9 years ago

Wow! Sooo many wonderful, educated, researched, motivated people out there! I'm definitely going - beam me up, Scotty!!

• rikrak

rikrak said 9 years ago

oh this will be fantastic! i can't wait to see the amazing line-up you'll put together, lovelies!

• madamaRobe

madamaRobe said 9 years ago

Wonderful!! This is a great opportunity!

• OldMonastery

OldMonastery said 9 years ago

What a brilliant idea!:}

• derinmavi

derinmavi said 9 years ago

This is fantastic, I've been waiting it from Etsy for a long time! I started saving money already to make it to Berlin from Istanbul for the event! :)

• beliz82

beliz82 said 9 years ago

Wonderful idea I will start saving money for tickets. Looking forward to come to Berlin

• ikabags

ikabags said 9 years ago

Thanks for organizing this !

• MargaritaG

MargaritaG said 9 years ago

I WOULD LIKE TO GO... love the idea

• Iammie

Iammie said 9 years ago

Wow. We look forward for Etsy to come to Thailand. :)

• dazeychic

dazeychic said 9 years ago

Ohhhhh! how exciting! Talking to the husband tonight! :)

• karuski

karuski said 9 years ago

So great to have another reason to re-visit Berlin soon. Got my ticket right today, very much looking forward to this event!

• steinschmuckdesign

steinschmuckdesign said 9 years ago

Oh I hope so much I can make it, I really try my Best :)

• AccentsandPetals

AccentsandPetals said 9 years ago

I'm sure we will all be learning new tips from the conference. I will participating online.

• SimpleJoysPaperie

SimpleJoysPaperie said 9 years ago

Great idea! I'm sure it will be a helpful tool for those that get to attend. Enjoy!

• tangente

tangente said 9 years ago

OMG I might actually be in Berlin that week to visit friends. How exciting!!!

• DeuxPetitesSouris

DeuxPetitesSouris said 9 years ago

wish i could be there!

• funkomavintage

funkomavintage said 9 years ago

Good Luck! "Decades of an unyielding focus on economic growth and a corporate mentality has left us ever more disconnected with nature, our communities, and the people and processes behind the objects in our lives. We think this is unethical, unsustainable, and unfun." I hope etsy never becomes a place that has its focus on economic growth and corporate mentality....that would be so unfun!

• arcticpoppy

arcticpoppy said 9 years ago

great message; i hope their will be more conferences! and what a perfect little tote that says it all!

• Scrapboarding

Scrapboarding said 9 years ago

Wow ! Bark for Deutschland !

• thevintageattic10

thevintageattic10 said 9 years ago

Wow I would love to go do you plan to do any confrences in the U.S ? A drawing for free tickets is a great idea Thevintageattic10 Loves Etsy let celebrate in my shop 20% off anything in shop .. Let 's go Etsy !!

• thevintageattic10

thevintageattic10 said 9 years ago

Love the tote !

• WallFlowerStudio

WallFlowerStudio said 9 years ago

When all is said and done, I would be grateful for a transcript of events/speakers, if that's possible. : )

• BeaullahsBoutique

BeaullahsBoutique said 9 years ago

This is right up my street. Im getting so excited with the future of Sustainable Crafting! Will definately be getting my ticket for a satelite event in England. Watch this space heloo world:)

• dslookkin

dslookkin said 9 years ago

Wow I SO WISH I could go to this. Sounds so awesome + I love Douglas Rushkoff! I'm actually reading his "life, inc." right now - highly recommended!

• joykruse

joykruse said 9 years ago

This sounds just incredible. How awesome. Go Etsy!

• bootywu

bootywu said 9 years ago

This week I had my workshop/shed erected. Next week I hope to be making. Come September my best friend and I will in Berlin! Looking forward to meeting etsy people and learning all my tiny brain can hold. I love visiting Berlin. So looking forward to this.

• guindalejo

guindalejo said 9 years ago

Would love to go and represent the sleeping giant that is Latin America community as REALLY TALENTED buyers, sellers and artists.

• ahowe73

ahowe73 said 9 years ago

We would love to get there but we need your help!! We'll be live tweeting and sharing all of the news and info from Hello Etsy! Head here to help us get there!! http://www.indiegogo.com/Berlin-by-September Thank you!

• Aliyahgator

Aliyahgator said 9 years ago

I would love to go, but unfortunately I cannot make it.... maybe next year !

• TresChicNmodern

TresChicNmodern said 9 years ago

OOOOOHHH WOWWWW! How exciting, but Berlin is a bit far. Still, I'd LOVE to go!!! Hope you guys have lots of fun!

• WoolCollective

WoolCollective said 9 years ago

Hello everybody - I have to sell my TICKET! Unfortunately I can't take part of HELLO ETSY in September in Berlin due to familiy business.... Please write me a message if you are interested to buy one for 65 € (it is the early bird special - no longer available). Best WoolCoolective

• yvonnecatterson

yvonnecatterson said 9 years ago

I'm working with a production company in London and they are looking for interesting Etsy creatives to take part in a little video. Anyone interested please contact me and I'll chat through more info.

• FlavourQ

FlavourQ said 9 years ago

Sounds AMAZING! If only it wasn't in Germany ! Oh well, Have fun to the people who are going!!!

• SassysTreasures

SassysTreasures said 8 years ago

Is there any plans to host the conference talks on the Etsy site so we can all take part? These could later be watched by others via pod casts once the conference is over. I know the technology is available... just look at all the education via the web and such. It seems like a perfect opportunity and I would certainly be interested in watching them. Live and/or afterwords. I think these are things that are relevant to everyone's businesses as we move forward in a 'more enlighten' society. Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, I suspect the majority of Etsy Shop owners won't be able to physically attend. Thanks for any information about this possibility... or perhaps a notice about it to shopkeepers.

• Seemart

Seemart said 8 years ago

Wow! Congratulations! wish i was going too, i love to travel,anyway best of luck.I agree with sassy Treasures to host the conference talks on the Etsy site.