Notes From Chad

Aug 11, 2011

by Chad Dickerson

In my note to the community last week, I wrote about our focus on bringing more buyers to Etsy to help make sellers successful, particularly as we all prepare for the holiday rush.  One of the key ways buyers find your shops once they’ve arrived at Etsy is through Search. Two weeks ago we announced our intentions to make sort by relevancy the default search setting, along with some tips on how to adjust your listings for the change. We made that change on Tuesday, August 9.

Over the past few months, we’ve been testing improvements to sort by relevancy (as first mentioned in this forum post in May).  In our tests, relevancy beat recency on several key measures: number of listings clicked on from search, number of items favorited, and number of listings viewed per visit. Listing views and favorites lead to increased sales, so a search experience that leads to more of both is better for sellers.  We also think diversity is important to Etsy’s marketplace, and in sort by relevancy, we show more diversity of shops on average than we do in sort by recency.  Finally, we ran tests in which we put relevancy results next to recency results for groups of shoppers (without telling which was which) and shoppers picked relevancy over recency 15 to 1.  Relevancy is clearly a stronger experience for buyers.

We have been watching the site while listening to your reactions and suggestions in the Forums and on the Blog.  As I write this, search sorted by relevancy has been the default for less than 48 hours, but we’re pleased to share some early data that supports what we learned in testing.

• The total number of shops with a sale was higher in the past two days than any other days this year.
  • The past two days saw more favoriting activity than any other other days this year.  More individual sellers had an item favorited and more individual items were favorited than any other days in 2011.
  • Two of the four biggest overall sales days on Etsy in 2011 were the past two days.
  • Two of the four days with most individual items sold in 2011 were the past two days

Switching to relevancy as the default search sort was a necessary step in our continued effort to improve the search experience on Etsy. The “search results sorted by relevancy” approach gives us more options to continually improve the overall search experience as the marketplace continues to grow. We’ve been listening to your feedback as we rolled out this important change, and we’ve made an important policy change related to tagging and answered your most common questions in this FAQ. If you have any questions you’d like to ask, the search team is doing a live webcast with Q&A at 3 p.m. ET today. Join us in the Online Labs.

We recognize that switching to relevancy was a major change, but it is an important one in signifying our commitment to the search experience on Etsy.  It’s a journey, not a destination, and we’re committed to it for the long haul.  Thanks again for being a part of the Etsy community, and we look forward to more of your feedback as we continue to make Etsy the best marketplace it can be.

Chad

• aostudio9

aostudio9 said 7 years ago

Thank's for the info, will try this change in my shop.

• awildtonic

awildtonic said 7 years ago

Very interesting.

• PolClary

PolClary said 7 years ago

I have noticed a lot more people favouriting my things! Loving the changes, it's so much easier to find specific things I want. Thank you!

• CrushedBotanicals

CrushedBotanicals said 7 years ago

Wow fabulous!

• labellefairy

labellefairy said 7 years ago

Impressive stats! Here's to hoping for personal results!

• theowlshop

theowlshop said 7 years ago

Thank you for sharing the early data finds….change is difficult to accept for many people…keeping the communication open will hopefully...as you put it… help everyone through the journey of this transition.

• beckysusanne

beckysusanne said 7 years ago

I think this is a wonderful idea! It's always bugged me that the most recently listed stuff seemed to get the most attention.

• vickiorion

vickiorion said 7 years ago

I'm pleasantly surprised by those sales and favoriting stats. Thanks for the info!

• Iammie

Iammie said 7 years ago

ํYay!

• myvintagecrush

myvintagecrush said 7 years ago

Bola Chad! Thanks for the updates. I'm feeling more and more connected to the Etsy team :)

• bluehourdesigns

bluehourdesigns said 7 years ago

This is definitely a step in the right direction...thank you for implementing this.

• KateStealey

KateStealey said 7 years ago

I've found my views have increased great! I love the change. It is standard with any other shopping site, so why not Etsy? Love it!

• Parachute425

Parachute425 said 7 years ago

Tons of views, treasuries, hearts and even sales in past two days. You don't here me complaining.

• BanglewoodSupplies

BanglewoodSupplies said 7 years ago

Very Good! Thanks Chad.

• shannondzikas

shannondzikas said 7 years ago

I have had the opposite experience the past few days but hope to see benefits from the changes soon. As much as I hate change this one isn't all bad.

• Suppliesjungle

Suppliesjungle said 7 years ago

yes yes yo!!

• TheBakersDaughter

TheBakersDaughter said 7 years ago

Thanks for the communication, Chad. So far I'm liking the change quite a bit!!

• AlphabetCityStudio

AlphabetCityStudio said 7 years ago

Wow! Those are impressive numbers! I hope they keep up and can't wait to hear about the numbers/stats at the end of the month and end of the year!

• sthenno

sthenno said 7 years ago

I made my first sale within 2 weeks of my first postings compared to none the first time I opened a store over a year ago with the same items. This is a great feature!

• HumphreysHandmade

HumphreysHandmade said 7 years ago

I need to read up on this more, but I've noticed an increase in favorites and treasuries the last few days... so I'm please about that!

• nisseworks

nisseworks said 7 years ago

I had 7x the number of favourites in my shop in the last 2 days as I had in the last month. And my shop was favourited 3x as many times. I'm ok with these changes, so far.

• TheVintageApartment

TheVintageApartment said 7 years ago

I was wondering why I suddenly had an influx of hearts on items; this must be the cause of it (and here I thought I was just getting popular because of all my hard work! ;) I'm interested to see what these changes do in the long run. Change always causes an influx of worry, but I find that most of the changes made here on Etsy have turned out to be positive.

• Waterrose

Waterrose said 7 years ago

Good information. It is painful to make changes like this and it is time consuming, but hopefully it will bring traffic to all of our shops.

• RareDesign

RareDesign said 7 years ago

I agree, change is always scary, but here is hoping it will be for the better!! Hard to break the renewing habit though ;-)

• jenbeewonderland

jenbeewonderland said 7 years ago

I completely agree with this change and think it will help a lot of sellers - will be interesting to see how it changes things.

• JewelryEnergy

JewelryEnergy said 7 years ago

Where can I find the most looked for words? Such info can definitely be a valuable tool when writing descriptions and tags, and also helps to decide which designs / items are more looked for. Thanks for your input.

• feathersink

feathersink said 7 years ago

Thanks for the changes - I have noticed a difference in my own shop because of those changes! Keep up the good work!

• lltownleyceramic

lltownleyceramic said 7 years ago

I love the new shop stats, love the new sort my relevancy. I usually hate change, but I'm embracing these new features on Etsy. Thanks!

• ObeyMyBrain

ObeyMyBrain said 7 years ago

So far my stats have returned to where they were before shark week (I made the front page 3 times so had a big boost last week). Not really better or worse.

• GerdasGarden

GerdasGarden said 7 years ago

thank you , thank you , thank you... my faith in Etsy listening to us has been restored. THANK YOU!!!! This change makes so much sense and really shows me that Etsy is not out to just make bags of money off people relisting constantly.

• LuLusWoobies

LuLusWoobies said 7 years ago

Thank you! Excited to see changes for the better :)

• TheZestyDesk

TheZestyDesk said 7 years ago

Thanks for this post Chad! I'm super excited for the direction Etsy is headed!

• mullishmuse

mullishmuse said 7 years ago

made a treasury trying out the new search. seemed good. hope i have some success with the new format. so far, :crickets:

• weezieduzzit

weezieduzzit said 7 years ago

I've been hoping and waiting for relevancy to be rolled out for a long time, now that admin has clarified the tagging issues I'm ready to get to work!

• EleganceElizabethLee

EleganceElizabethLee said 7 years ago

Thanks for the change for the better!!

• DreamGirlsVintage

DreamGirlsVintage said 7 years ago

I hope it increases our shopping and selling experience!

• nadene

nadene said 7 years ago

thank you! looking forward to this working well for the coming holidays~

• VintageEye

VintageEye said 7 years ago

I do think these changes will be a positive thing for all. I(for one)like them! Thanks to everyone at Etsy who has worked so hard to get this all accomplished!

• DarkStar

DarkStar said 7 years ago

I still don't really understand it, but I swear my sales have gotten better so thanks! Heidi

• EleganceElizabethLee

EleganceElizabethLee said 7 years ago

Thanks for the change for the better!

• Ayamilein

Ayamilein said 7 years ago

This change was SO necessary!!! I always hated how people who were more fortunate and had more money to spend always increased their views and sales simply by renewing their items. I always believed Etsy to be a platform for the individualists, the artists, the ones trying to get their stuff out there - the passionate ones. Now they have just as much chance of getting a lot of views!!! Awesome change! And with this change now finally here, I will open my own Etsy shop soon as well - now, that I don't have to renew items daily to get views :D

• princesstutu

princesstutu said 7 years ago

I guess I'm the only one who has had a horrible expeirence with this change! I have only had one like in the last 2 days and zero sales! My items have disappeared from the search, even when I search word for word what I have in my titles. I have read the blogs, implemented everything suggested and still nothing. Yes, I have a small shop and don't have massive sales, but my family depends on the sales that I do get. This is coming up on my busiest time of the year, I was looking for this year to be great, but it looks like I will be struggling to get any sales this year. :(

• hawthornehill

hawthornehill said 7 years ago

I agree with princesstutu. I have not had likes or sales. :(

• LuzAmigurumiPatterns

LuzAmigurumiPatterns said 7 years ago

Changes are always scary, so far I have less hearts and less sales... but it is early days, isn't it?

• Opafaf

Opafaf said 7 years ago

Looks like I need to update my listings =)

• lostaloha

lostaloha said 7 years ago

I made a sale yesterday -- on older items I haven't renewed or edited in a long while. Hopefully it's a sign of the Relevancy change working! Thank you Chad, for keeping in touch with the community.

• sparrowgrey

sparrowgrey said 7 years ago

Good to see it's working, but I'm still a little skeptical as I've had a difficult time finding my items in searches, which is discouraging. Here's to hoping it improves!

• samsstuff

samsstuff said 7 years ago

Sounds like an excellent change, I've updated my listings & I'm looking forward to what the change might bring. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

• MiniMonster

MiniMonster said 7 years ago

Thank you for the excellent statistics...and your commitment to diversity on the site.

• MuddyFeet

MuddyFeet said 7 years ago

Sounds like a good thing! Off to continue checking and updating my listings!

• melzhippy

melzhippy said 7 years ago

Wow...great stats and I definitely had sales, views and likes in this 2 days! It's nice to see a good variety of sellers in the search now (who I didn't know even remotely existed) b/c of this change!

• HandiworksbyJanice

HandiworksbyJanice said 7 years ago

I have seen an increase in favorites in my shop but did not relate it to the relevancy thing. I hope to gain more sales from this change, too! Good work in keeping Etsy on the right track.

• bedouin

bedouin said 7 years ago

Exposure is the natural art of revealing. We're on the right track ( baby we were born this way! )

• StudioZen

StudioZen said 7 years ago

Thanks Chad, for sharing the new data with us. New information is helpful in a time of change like this.

• JLynnSupplies

JLynnSupplies said 7 years ago

how it it diversity when a few shops clog the front page?

• bhangtiez

bhangtiez said 7 years ago

Great to hear this update. Thank you so much!

• RobotsAreAwesome

RobotsAreAwesome said 7 years ago

Had an elder robot adopted last night, though my views have gone down, admirers have gone up. Now work on the changing things up on the front page a bit more and you're in awesome town.

• RJGOriginals

RJGOriginals said 7 years ago

I've been very critical of some Etsy policies in the past. This, however, is one of the best changes I've ever seen on the site. Anything that makes it easier for shoppers to find just the right item is a boon for the community. Thank you.

• scarletbegonia11

scarletbegonia11 said 7 years ago

Hmm, interested to see how this goes. I have always thought it was annoying to be re-listing items and listing at least 2 items a day to get sales. However, It looks like I will have to update all my tags and items, because I do not see them on search pages....

• salvageshop

salvageshop said 7 years ago

thank you for continuing to make etsy a great site :)

• GlassDragonflyDesign

GlassDragonflyDesign said 7 years ago

Thank you for your transparency and willingness to share valuable data like this with sellers (and buyers). This helps to make Etsy a much more enjoyable experience!

• MadeMary

MadeMary said 7 years ago

The statistics for the last two days sound very encouraging -- but so far my shop is not seeing any benefit from the switch to relevancy. I still can't make sense of which of my items show up in searches and which don't .... hope to figure it out before holiday buying season. In general, I am reassured by the statistics you shared with us. Thanks.

• MadeMary

MadeMary said 7 years ago

The statistics for the last two days are encouraging. I'm afraid my shop has been one of the shops with decreased views. I"ll keep trying to figure out how to name and tag items.

• dressurdolly2

dressurdolly2 said 7 years ago

Along with people who renew daily that are being made less relevant, are those of us who bust our humps to list NEW daily. My items are mostly OOAK and so I work hard to list NEW product each day. Now I'm not found anywhere under common searches for my category....even after making many adjustments to my titles and tags.

• dressurdolly2

dressurdolly2 said 7 years ago

And to add...in my category, the same shops have been on the first page since Tuesday. How is that showing diversity to the buyer?

• MerCurios

MerCurios said 7 years ago

I'm with you 'till the end. ;)

• CassiasGarden

CassiasGarden said 7 years ago

Thank you for your hard work. We are working hard as well to implement the changes necessary for us to be found! Thank you for being so proactive.

• mehndiart09

mehndiart09 said 7 years ago

I made a sale this morning and have a lot more visitors to my shop. I know that change is not easy but with the right intentions, it'll all work out in the end. Every other website I can think of sorts by relevancy so why not etsy. Now we won't have to renew our listings in order to get noticed!

• BetaBoutique

BetaBoutique said 7 years ago

I have read a lot of reasonable complaints about disadvantages of this system. But, honestly, after longer silence in my shops i had made 4 sales in last 2 days and that is just great!

• dressurdolly2

dressurdolly2 said 7 years ago

An issue I see and would like addressed ( would rEALLY appreciate it) is that many on the first pages of relevant search don't sell much, and so remain on the those first pages. The pages remain stagnant, and that can't be enticing to a buyer, right?

• HulaGirl1922

HulaGirl1922 said 7 years ago

Thank you for all your efforts .. I too have seen an increase in sales and views at my little Etsy shop by the sea... Keep up the good work & positive attitude .. xoxo

• AliceCloset

AliceCloset said 7 years ago

Hi Chad!! I love this new searches! I made a sale this morning and have a lot more visitors to my shop. ^__^ Thanks!

• Luncheonettevintage

Luncheonettevintage said 7 years ago

on the fence about this all, so I'm coming to the online thing. and hoping, ahem, that we can all stay calm.

• funkomavintage

funkomavintage said 7 years ago

why I'm mad: There was no date as a deadline so I could plan my whole life around etsy. and....no one at etsy had a friggen clue about the tag stuffing issue. WTH. I'm mad that my tomatoes aren't gonna ripen before the cooler weather sets in. I'm really mad that I, of all people, got a Marketplace Integrity email to prove how Vintage I am......

• WakulaWorks

WakulaWorks said 7 years ago

Thanks, Chad! I really appreciate all these updates and the efforts the Etsy Team is making to improve both the buyer and seller experience. It's great to be part of this community.

• heatherfuture

heatherfuture said 7 years ago

I think these changes are super wonderful, though I'm even more excited for the changes to get fine tuned. What's best for Etsy as a whole is super. More favourites and more sales - that's just undeniably awesome. Sadly my views and favourites have plummeted, and I'm busy working multiple non-Etsy jobs. I don't have the time to fiddle with 200 listings with 80 hour work weeks, so I guess I'll have to be content with my Etsy shop being completely dead for a long while until I get the time to resurrect it. Still, I'm sending out happy high-fives to those whose shops are getting discovered because of these changes! :D

• SeashellsByDesign

SeashellsByDesign said 7 years ago

@PRINCESSTUTU I agree with you this change couldn't have come at a WORST time. I literally have had no traffic in the past two days and i never come out on the searches. I'm devastated. I have no sales at all for the month and i noticed all the shops that have hundreds of sales are the ones coming up on top on the searches. They come up on the first page with all of their items saturating it while none of my items ever show up. I was depending on this holiday season rush with this shop for income this year but i guess i will also be struggling along with you. ETSY SEARCH TEAM PLEASE MAKE THE PEOPLE WITH NO SALES COME UP FIRST YOUR CHANGE IS UNFAIR TO THE NEWER AND SMALLER SHOPS.

• Liduvina

Liduvina said 7 years ago

Thanks for the updates.

• lovelygifts

lovelygifts said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Seems to be working.

• KoutureCrochet

KoutureCrochet said 7 years ago

thank you for the info! so far my search views are up week over week and month over month. my overall views took a dive in july but are on schedule to be DOUBLE my july views!! wow!

• HouseOfMoss

HouseOfMoss said 7 years ago

Sounds good! I'm excited for this new change/improvement. Thank you for the stats!

• JollyPollyPickins

JollyPollyPickins said 7 years ago

I can't truly gauge if my views are up as I was on vacation mode for quite awhile and just came back to the changes. But I do think in the long run this is a positive step forward and a much better opportunity for us all. Learning SEO is just a basic requirement of selling online successfully IMO and I equate it to learning how to take good pictures, or how to gauge shipping costs. We just need to buckle down, learn a new skill and broaden our horizons.

• lilbabybumble

lilbabybumble said 7 years ago

I'm putting my keywords in the front on my title and they are showing up less relevant than someone who has it at the end of their title. Tags are the same. Why is that the other one more relevant?

• SkyBox

SkyBox said 7 years ago

I think being able to search by relevancy is great! As a buyer, I'm grateful.

• crochetgal

crochetgal said 7 years ago

As someone who has used the relevancy search to shop since I started here on Etsy over 3 years ago, I'm glad that its finally become the default. Now maybe more shoppers will actually find what they are looking for!

• mulberrymoose

mulberrymoose said 7 years ago

change can be good , sometimes there can be a bit of a learning curve, I have seen some positive things come from the changes made

• wa7jos

wa7jos said 7 years ago

You're failing to address the relevant matter: "One of the key ways buyers find your shops ONCE THEY'VE ARRIVED at Etsy ..." People buy my product, ONCE they find it. Your tool improvements will help, BUT only IF they find Etsy. Etsy needs to expend more resources to advertising the EXISTENCE of Etsy. I sell 6 times more product on eBay than on Etsy. Is the problem with my product, my site, or Etsy?

• MisterFinch

MisterFinch said 7 years ago

10 sales in 2 days,im happy!

• AnnaCreates

AnnaCreates said 7 years ago

This is a great change and I'm so excited about these changes. I've definitely seen improvements over the past 48 hours!

• compostthis

compostthis said 7 years ago

change is good, especially changes meant to help us all. thanks for the info!

• GwenDelicious

GwenDelicious said 7 years ago

thanks so much...so far so good!!!!

• fibermeup

fibermeup said 7 years ago

At first I was iffy on the changes. I thought I'd have to re-do a bunch of things, but I didn't & I've noticed a significant change! Good job :)

• MyWeddingJewelry

MyWeddingJewelry said 7 years ago

I guess I am one of the minorities that it has not helped...I used to get 40 views within an hour on my best seller...now maybe 10 to15 all day, and I haven't sold one thing, whereas last week I made sales every day. I've tried to change titles and everything...nothing has helped :( It is very frustrating...I NEVER see me items listed. Hoping it gets better before I lose the farm :)...lol

• filareckifineart

filareckifineart said 7 years ago

This is only my first week with Etsy so I'll try to absorb and act on recommendation as I can, There are so many resources to help set up your shop. Hopefully, I'll be able focus on the most important ones. Thanks

• KingArtsAndVintage

KingArtsAndVintage said 7 years ago

Over those golden 2 days, after my slowest period since joining 6 months ago, I sold an older listing of a mohair sweater to a buyer in NYC in August! Relevancy rules the day in my little shop, but what would be icing on the cake to those of us who already study and try to follow directions, is the incorporation of some sort of NLP recognizer for sophisticated language. That would make spending time on a thoughtful description for all of those OOAK vintage pieces that deserve it seem more worthwhile in the face of the almighty Keyword.

• BodycareLuxuries

BodycareLuxuries said 7 years ago

I think that's a good idea and so far so good for me - I get more views definitely and with a little extra work on titles and tags it should get even better! Thanks!

• laurl

laurl said 7 years ago

Chad is it possible to see some conversion rates to go with that "early data"? Maybe year over year to date for those two days or two day average over 2011 average? Thanks.

• uncljohn

uncljohn said 7 years ago

It's a start and a good one. There are a lot of folk, many who have been selling a long time here and really do not know how to deal with it. This has been a step long overdue. I am glad to see it.

• AstoriaLane

AstoriaLane said 7 years ago

Thank you so much for the change you and your team have made. I know that this is going to help my business along with many others. Thanks again!

• BodamerStudio

BodamerStudio said 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! I've been with Etsy a while, and while I've recently madeover my shop completely, I'm still struggling to get any sales or to get noticed. I'm hoping for the best!

• Studio66ChainMaille

Studio66ChainMaille said 7 years ago

Really appreciate the communication and dedication to always improving Etsy. I would like to make a suggestion/request since there are many chain maille artists here. I searched for bracelet and necklace and got several choices but "Chain maille" was not not one of them. Can that category be added?

• PierogiPicnic

PierogiPicnic said 7 years ago

It's about time!

• LeafyDesigns

LeafyDesigns said 7 years ago

This change makes a lot of sense. Unless someone is looking for the latest listing, why shouldn't they want to find what is most relevant to their search? Thanks for the shift. Hopefully it will help some of us who have yet to really start selling.

• ClosetGothic

ClosetGothic said 7 years ago

This is such a positive change. As one of the sellers who saw an upturn in sales yesterday, I can say a very heartfelt THANK YOU!

• TheTerrariumShop

TheTerrariumShop said 7 years ago

My views are down and no favorites in over 24 hours kind of worries me. Can you really correlate sales with search changes? I don't think you can say that relevancy changes has increased sales......more stores and more items and more sellers can lead to more sales too.

• SouthPawBeads

SouthPawBeads said 7 years ago

thanks for the update

• NaturalVintage

NaturalVintage said 7 years ago

I'm so glad you made this change! Sales for me in the past week have been significantly higher! I'm a relatively new seller, but have always tagged for relevancy, so I'm very grateful for this change! THANK YOU!!

• decorexpressions

decorexpressions said 7 years ago

Sorry, total disagree. The last two days have been my slowest sales in well over a year. Ebay did this the same change and it was not beneficial at all. At least by relisting I knew I could have my items seen as I would list several at a time to show variation in my store. I do not think it is a good idea at all. I am REALLY CONCERNED with my sales now. BAD IDEA.

• decorexpressions
  • decorexpressions

decorexpressions said 7 years ago

Sorry, I TOTALLY DISAGREE. This is not a good idea. I have had the worse sales the last two days than I have had in over a year. Ebay did this same thing and I eventually sold my sterling silver business. BAD IDEA. At least listing a few items at a time, it would give buyers an opportunity to see a variety of the items I had, no those are mixed up within the listing so there is only one opportunity for the listing to grab the buyers attention - whereas several listings peaks their interest. Also buyers could search for revalancy when they did their search to narrow their choices. Allow the buyers to do this - Bad idea for Etsy to make that decision on our behalf without consulting.

• botamaki

botamaki said 7 years ago

I noticed that members who keep their favorites private have numerous sales. I also noticed that my favorite items sell. I enjoy finding nice shops on etsy. The private thing is disconcerting to me. Why favor things if they remain private?

• MayaJAccessories

MayaJAccessories said 7 years ago

I had less sales and views in the past two days than ever:( I am not too happy about the change as of yet...I am struggling to now change my entire shop so that I don't lose too much money by putting it off. I am hoping that this is a good thing in the long run, but right now I'm getting worried that the usual amount of sales that I depend on aren't paning out.

• paulbead

paulbead said 7 years ago

I have had less views and less sales in the last two days. I am not sure about this new system and I am a high volume seller. Time to spend more money advertising on google and driving business to my own website,

• TheScarfTree

TheScarfTree said 7 years ago

I am not to sure about this relevency sort either - as I tend to agree with other store owners above. I am also concerned, along with a few other people I know who have Etsy stores! The Stats tool is amazing - excellent tool!

• glusk

glusk said 7 years ago

i like being able to search with the relevancy option. i'd also like to be able to shop according to price ranges not just lowest and highest.

• JewelryByIrene

JewelryByIrene said 7 years ago

Thanks for the information! I need to add more tags for revelancy to my site. Hopefully I will see and increase in views, favourites, and sales! Thanks to all the staff for making this site better and better!

• MissFluff

MissFluff said 7 years ago

I have definitely seen more activity and more sales so I'm all for change if it makes for a better experience. Thanks for the update!

• RoughMagicCreations

RoughMagicCreations said 7 years ago

Thanks Chad! I'm optimistic about this change. If it's easier for buyers to find what they want, it's better for all of us. Time to work on those tags!

• stratdesigns

stratdesigns said 7 years ago

This is just great news! I have had two sales in the past day ( normally get a couple a month) and loads more views and hearts so I'm hoping this will be a very positive improvement.

• gspots

gspots said 7 years ago

Unlike some of those above, my sales were unexpectedly high in the last few days. I think relevancy is going to be much better for me. Thank you!

• thehappycouple

thehappycouple said 7 years ago

I have been waiting for this! I think it is so much better (and more fun) to worry about good tagging than it is trying to figure out which items in the shop to relist (especially when you don't have many and you feel like you are wasting money). I've been doing test searches and my items are popping up pretty consistently near the top. Thanks so much!

• LavenderField

LavenderField said 7 years ago

That's very good because it brought me in a couple of sales. Personally I also find relevancy a lot more important than recency. If I'm searching for a crochet necklace then I want a crochet necklace, no matter when it was listed, and not some other sort of necklace just because it was listed recently.... to me it's just common sense, and a change which should have been made ages ago!

• magdamagda

magdamagda said 7 years ago

he he I love the "It’s a journey, not a destination"... I haven't figured out yet how this is going to affect my shop, I guess it's time to take SEO seriously *anticipating a small headache*

• EmmaLamb

EmmaLamb said 7 years ago

Such a significant improvement that I think will be beneficial to everyone here... particulary if those incredible stats from the last few days continue! As always, thank you so much for all your hard work... :) Emma, x

• accentonvintage

accentonvintage said 7 years ago

Thanks for the change- so far so good!

• michellearnold

michellearnold said 7 years ago

Good news! Thanks a lot!

• thevelvetheart

thevelvetheart said 7 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. I am off to check out the FAQ but I think that this will be a great change!

• vianegativa420

vianegativa420 said 7 years ago

I hope it works better than it did for me today! I searched in category - furniture - desks. I received 23 pages of results. Unfortunately, not very many of them were desks! Chairs, end tables, cabinets, entertainment centers, coffee tables, all manner of cushions (is there no way to keep those lap pillow things out of the "furniture" category where they really do NOT belong!) and also many throw pillows that I cannot for the life of me figure out how they relate to my search terms! My results could not have been less relevant to what I was searching for except by leaving out the few actual desks that were included.

• RecycledFibers

RecycledFibers said 7 years ago

Thanks for the update on how all this is working. Like a poster above, I would really like to see a comparison. How have these past few days compared to the same days in past years? I hope that the positive results are from the change to the search feature, but you can't be too sure without also making year-to-year comparisons. I also have concerns about the posters above who indicate that they can't find their own listings when doing a search. I'm off to try it for myself....

• Trishasquilts

Trishasquilts said 7 years ago

Great improvement! Now if there was a way to track completed sales overall besides checking under the seller's name. An overall view of what is selling and the prices they are selling for would be very helpful in knowing what to post and how to price.

• BingoBox

BingoBox said 7 years ago

Thanks for stats, Chad. It seems that Relevancy will be a major improvement in the long run. In the short term, we're still getting mixed results in our "Search Experience". ... and the rules are murky for what constitutes Tag Stuffing. Also, we dislike having to use long run-on Titles in order to gain Relevance.

• DearGoldenVintage

DearGoldenVintage said 7 years ago

this whole thing is a hot mess, still. the relevancy search is as stale. the solution would be to make it necessary for the user to CHOOSE relevancy or recency before any search results can be seen. if it were easy to make your items relevant, and by easy i mean, could be figured out AT ALL then this would not be such a mess. but since we tweek our listing to then STILL NOT show up in relevancy search i deem this a very pre-mature change. it also rewards those who let their shops sit stale while those of us who work every day, listing every day, keeping our shops fresh, get the shaft.

• LoveTheBaby

LoveTheBaby said 7 years ago

Hi Chad. This has made a difference in my shop. The views have been so much higher this week. Thank you all for your efforts.

• JustJaynes

JustJaynes said 7 years ago

I've noticed more views to my shop and sales increasing. Thanks for making this change!

• MonogramsForYou

MonogramsForYou said 7 years ago

Dear Golden Vintage said it best and I quote " i deem this a very pre-mature change. it also rewards those who let their shops sit stale while those of us who work every day, listing every day, keeping our shops fresh, get the shaft." this is a Poor Decision. If you read the comments, people who are posting positive comments ARE NOT baseing their comments on their sales the last few days - just agreeing with the change. Bad idea, please allow the buyer to sort as they wish! I too am a high volume seller, and sales are down horribly and I am not getting the views I used to get! Pls go back to the way it was! BAD IDEA!

• laurl

laurl said 7 years ago

It seems this is robbing Peter and paying Paul. Peter is your (former) high volume sellers and Paul is your small volume seller. I'm sure the sales revenue is about the same for Etsy, so bottom line it doesn't matter. I base this comment on your statistics- more stores with sales- which doesn't necessarily mean total sales volume. But as someone who relies on Etsy sales for about 75% of their income, this is a real comcern. And, I would still like to see the conversion rates as I stated above and another poster mentioned. A conversion rate will not reveal your algorithm or compromising your intelectural property. I'm sure I'm not the only laid off business person who understands business and is interested in the facts. Dumbed down, gloss interpretations of the facts are a bit of an insult to our intelligence.

• DanburyLane

DanburyLane said 7 years ago

I am digging this change. Let's face it. When I search under 'recency' in my category for 'tutu' I get onsies and hair clips a-plenty. It forces me to renew my listings for actual tutus constantly just to keep from being 5 pages back within 5 minutes. I do prefer to see tutus when I search for 'tutu'. It's the way it should be.

• decorexpressions

decorexpressions said 7 years ago

When a buyer shops, they plug in what they are looking for and still get revelency - only they see the most recently listed items first........... So what is the point of changing it to Revelency automatically? The buyer should make their decision - Etsy is hurting the sellers that use this as their main stream of income. We should be able to list items as much as we want and have them show up first when a buyer searches. We are paying to do that. Not right at all. Bad news!

• onegoodturn4u

onegoodturn4u said 7 years ago

I am glad some folks like it. But, Just don't get it. Why keep changing the looks of my shop everyday. I guess it gives you folks a job. Sorry,

• madebymeegz

madebymeegz said 7 years ago

I would like to second exactly why decorexpressions said. It was already sorted by relevancy, according to our tags, along with recency. I also provide for my family with this money. I have seen only one sale in the past two days and I usually have about 3-4 a day. I am so very frustrated with this- and yes, it is horrible timing with the holiday coming up!

• JohnnyNoThumbzzz

JohnnyNoThumbzzz said 7 years ago

Great. You changed the sorting system. How wonderful. Now what are you going to do about all the resellers? And all the idiotic items that make the front page? I'm thinking absolutely nothing. Except censoring everything that doesn't agree with the happy cupcake brigade.

• PhylPhil

PhylPhil said 7 years ago

I wish I could write something positive about this change. I knew it was coming and tweaked my titles and tagging as suggested. Instead of increased sales as suggested by the stats provided I have had 0 since the change. I cannot even find my items in the categories that I listed or the tags I used. If I can't find them how can my customers! I have written twice to Etsy Help where it says someone will respond to me soon. DEFINE SOON! Still have not heard from anyone. Must be busy analyzing stats! Totally agree with decorexpressions. NOTHING good to say about this change is putting it lightly.

• paulbead

paulbead said 7 years ago

Most of the people I am talking to a furious over this latest assault on your most professional an serious sellers. Many of us have built our businesses on re-listing and etsy never seemed to mind taking our advertising budget. I hope you can afford to lose the 300.00-400.00 a month from me. There is going to be a huge backlash and you are going to lose what is left of your serious sellers.

• LadyInPurple

LadyInPurple said 7 years ago

I sold 3 items prior to this change and was feeling good about switching from ebay to ETSY. My shop has only been open for about 6 weeks. I had read the FAQ's and stayed up late one night changing my titles. I was excited to see the changes, but I haven't seen any traffic in the last few days and I am worried that all the work I did was for nothing. My tracking info shows 1 visit. Very Scary!

• CassidysCottage

CassidysCottage said 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing this change help me. I feel like a needle in a haystack at times- so maybe a change- any change- will help.

• LaceyClaireDesigns

LaceyClaireDesigns said 7 years ago

I am trying to be encouraged but feeling more discouraged by the hour. I have taken screen shots for the past day every few hours to show how the first several pages of the category I sell in have not changed. I have redone several of my tags/titles and have seen movement further on down on pages 3 or 4 or 5, but the same stuff remains on the first couple of pages. I use my shop stats and google analytics to tag and work my titles. If a person is to shop on Etsy and see the same thing in the category that they are looking for everytime they log in, it is very disheartening. I didn't even realize relevancy had kicked in (just thought it was weird I wasn't getting any convos or sales for 2 days when I'm used to being slammed) - I actually noticed it last night. Yesterday morning I did a search for 'ladies sundress' and browsed through about 20 page or so. Last night, I decided to look again thinking some new things would pop up - instead it was the same stuff in almost identical order. How is anyone motivated to list anything new or fresh, or for that matter how is a buyer to find anything new or fresh?? Besides all of this, I am now removing tags that made my item unique to find when it came to others creating treasuries. I'm removing colors from my tags as I have to find 100 different ways to say card box now. It used to be someone could search for card box, or wedding card box, or money card box and they'd find me without a problem - now I have to come up with 5 different tags for each of those words and I lose out on the colors and other descriptions that made other parts of my listing unique to find amongst shoppers, team members, and other Etsians willing to make beautiful treasuries.

• LaceyClaireDesigns

LaceyClaireDesigns said 7 years ago

I also find it interesting that a majority of the ones that love the changes are the small shops that haven't sold a lot of items yet. I think it's great to share the wealth and I am by no means a big shop but I did the work when I as small and read every blog, joined teams, read the forums, got advice from other senior sellers and renewed a couple of times a day (not excessively). I worked hard to get where I am today and now shops that haven't cultivated their shops in months are showing up before mine and I can't figure out the rhyme or reason even when I change my tags to be exactly like theirs (by the way - this only encourages everyone to use the same exact tags in their category and copy everything).

• SzetoBaby

SzetoBaby said 7 years ago

Change for the better is what I am hoping for and from your stats it sounds promising! I love the default search b/c now I'm visible and not buried! Thank you so much! I'll update later when I'm not in vacation mode anymore... hehe...

• RedBracelet

RedBracelet said 7 years ago

I Think it is for the best, an equal chance to be shown according to content and not many relisting. Thank you Etsy!!

• RedBracelet

RedBracelet said 7 years ago

I think it makes our success to be related on content and not relisting. That is good

• birdie1

birdie1 said 7 years ago

That's exciting! Keep up the good work!

• Mclovebuddy

Mclovebuddy said 7 years ago

my last comment didn't post. :/ i've been tracking the new default relevancy search this past week. it's impressive esp. considering most people don't apply boolean when they search. the results are clear and there's the recently listed slide bar at the top. if the two day snapshot remains valid over time, that's seriously great stuff. amazing.

• footloosefancyfree

footloosefancyfree said 7 years ago

My sales have decreased over 30% this week. I did a comparison day by day and then averaged many other ways to draw my conclusion. I have been testing some search words and I find no rhyme or reason that relevancy is working at all. If you type in pillowcase dress many come up with other first words before you ever find one starting with the word pillowcase. I read most all the forums, blogs and watched video and I gathered by most views to use the main descriptive word or phrase first would cause your item to be more relevant than one with descriptive words first like blue, toddler, etc. I feel the diversity issue is hurting and diluting the long time hard working sellers and giving the lucky ones who hit the relevancy just right an unfair advantage. I worked hard and paid lots of money to renew and now all that is for naught. I am also upset with the notice as to the changes. Etsy should have had the decency to notify us by email and also to give specific rules and values for relevancy in advance of change.

• blackrockvintage

blackrockvintage said 7 years ago

I really enjoyed reading about the stats, even though I didn't see them replicated in my shop. I personally enjoy relevancy vs recency, and I'll be changing up my listings as needed to become more searchable.

• EventDesignShop

EventDesignShop said 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I knew that I was seeing more favorites, but I had no idea that the whole site was seeing such improvement. I really like that the change has added diversity to the marketplace, and that shoppers are getting an opportunity to see items from more shops in their searches. I think change is usually uncomfortable, and that we are all still figuring out our new role in this shift. Once we're more settled I think we will all see the benefits of this change.

• KingArtsAndVintage

KingArtsAndVintage said 7 years ago

Normally my shop is totally dead over the weekend. So far, on a boring Saturday in August, I've sold 2 items. Am feeling very relevant, thank you Etsy!

• recycledideas

recycledideas said 7 years ago

I think there are some common feelings among 'high volume' sellers however you want to define it (items sold, revenue generated, history here) that sound like this: "It seems this is robbing Peter and paying Paul. Peter is your (former) high volume sellers and Paul is your small volume seller. I'm sure the sales revenue is about the same for Etsy, so bottom line it doesn't matter." In my opinion, now shops that wouldn't have had a chance (because their things don't sell or don't sell as fast (so they can't sell & relist) or they haven't sold here as long or as successfully (so they don't have the money to renew all the time to stay fresh)) now have a chance, and lucky if they've tagged well -- even if the item doesn't sell, it gets to stay high in relevancy regardless -- while an item that has a history of sales but is tagged differently (and maybe even nearly exactly the same) is way back at the line too far to be found, sold, relisted, and sold again. Now that we all have the chance to get only a little bit (no one shop will dominate), no one shop will be getting rich off etsy anymore. Is that ultimately good? I can't answer that. But I am looking for a new day job.

• Mirael

Mirael said 7 years ago

I notice that when I search through categories, relevancy isn't even an option and also isn't the default- recency is the default. When I search through search- relevancy is the default. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

• LaceyClaireDesigns

LaceyClaireDesigns said 7 years ago

I'm not saying High volume shops should reap the rewards, but I think hard workers who work hard to cultivate their shop shouldn't be pushed to the back. I've worked my butt off all day and I haven't had a new inquiry for 36 hours or a sale in two days - this is the first time in four months I went one day without a sale. I quit my day job for Etsy and if this keeps up, i will be groveling for my day job back. I also had hired part time help and if this continues, I will have to lay her off as well. I had hoped to one day be an Etsy Success Story like I am sure everyone here aspires to be. I understand Etsy wants to improve and I agree with a majority of the changes, but we are mostly artists here - not rocket scientists, not programmers, not engineers - we all came to Etsy for the simplicity of selling a handmade craft. Now it's extremely difficult to figure out how to explain a simple handmade craft when it was so much easier before and I could actually focus on making my craft. My titles make me sound like a moron repeating the same phrase over but in different order or with a slight word adjustment. My tags no longer make an item unique. I am now up to 36 hours worth of saved screenshots for relevancy where the listings have not changed. My stats reflect it and my views reflect that buyers are seeing the same thing. I applaud that this sheds the light on small shop owners but don't overlook the shops who also helped Etsy with the revenue it needed to make these new changes.

• littlelouisequilts

littlelouisequilts said 7 years ago

I have gone in and tweeked many of my listings to reflect relevancy. I am not really seeing much difference in my listings plus no sales at all! I don't understand why some items are making it to the top of the list when others, like myself, have used the keywords extensively in their descriptions, titles, keywords and even materials lists. It's hard enough comepting with so many listings but the way this is set up seems to have no rhyme or reason! I spend alot of $ on relisting fees to keep my listings on the first few pages and now even this effort seems to not work!

• RetroChalet

RetroChalet said 7 years ago

Thanks Chad you guys ROCK xoxoxo

• MixxMedium

MixxMedium said 7 years ago

HI WE ARE HAVING A 4HR FLASH SALE UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT EST GET 20% USING COUPON CODE "FLASHSALE8141100" AT CHECKOUT REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE 4 HRS

• AnimalGoodness

AnimalGoodness said 7 years ago

As a fairly new Etsy user, I am very happy to get all the help I can as I try to help people find me!

• AnimalGoodness

AnimalGoodness said 7 years ago

Having a newly active shop, I am open to all the help I can get so that my shop is found. I won't have anything to compare it to, but I hope it will be good!

• junebell

junebell said 7 years ago

honestly i think that a change to relevancy is good, but i have had the same experience as some others where my views and sales plummeted. i have tried changing the title but jewelry is hard because often people don't know what they are looking for exactly when they search for it, so trying to make the title relevent is very difficult. it seems like the etsy site decides what is relative or not, because even when i use a word for word title and do a search on it, my stuff is buried and someone with a bunch of un relative words come up. i am really hoping this works out because my shop was just starting to really take off and i feel like all my hard work is being lost.

• NathalieVan

NathalieVan said 7 years ago

I've only had one sale since the change (the others were in convo before the change). No new enquiries. I am showing up on page 1 for all of the relevant searches I can think of. This change is BAD for artists and businesses who have built their business for years on etsy. I feel like I'm invisible.

• ShinyMetals

ShinyMetals said 7 years ago

my sales are big time down, and NO NEW CUSTOMERS ..it was not even so bad ad the first day on Etsy like the NOW.I had no sale since the change..what a choke. copy and paste: WELL SAID. This change is BAD for artists and businesses who have built their business for years on etsy. I feel like I'm invisible. This is my Income..my only Income. ETSY please rethink the change for Lady s that have to live on the Money. I changed tags, changed description, wording..what else is there to do? I could point out more things.

• designsmartstudios

designsmartstudios said 7 years ago

I can't even find myself and I know all my tag words and descriptions! After searching 10 pages in I gave up! I am a small shop that just started getting views and a few sales and now NOTHING! I thought things were really getting better and now I want to cry!

• iowajewel

iowajewel said 7 years ago

i too have had no sales and hardly any views or hearts.....i am hoping that things go back to the way they were in sales as this is also my only job and i LOVE Etsy!!! i don't really understand why so many people can't find their listings....maybe it's just going to take a little time, i have to trust in you Chad, you hold our lives in your hands, i know you want the best for everyone!!!! thanks for all your hard work for us!!!!!

• iowajewel

iowajewel said 7 years ago

hey, i haven't changed any tags and i looked and my listings are coming up when i check on things so even though my shop is really slow maybe it's just the end of the summer vacation thing.....hang in there everybody things will get better!

• iheartnorwegianwood

iheartnorwegianwood said 7 years ago

The absolute worst is when a shop who has copied one of my items comes up way before mine in search...it's a super big bummer...how is their item more relevant than mine, when they've copied the text from my listing? I don't understand...trying hard to work on everything and improve my titles/tags...but I have to say...I'm discouraged.

• iheartnorwegianwood

iheartnorwegianwood said 7 years ago

Also want to point out I have NEVER renewed (unless an item has sold of course) so this change doesn't really affect me in that way...just seem to now be lost in the land of search...

• PrairiePrimitives

PrairiePrimitives said 7 years ago

My first thought is that I really like the concept of relevancy being the default search here. I absolutely hated it when eBay changed to a relevancy search as their default, but I think it has the potential to be different here. I've been analyzing why I feel different about relevancy on the two sites and the main thing I come up with is that eBay only allows 55? characters for titles so sellers are forced to describe their item accurately; they also don't use tags (and I've never been sure how much weight was placed on tags in the previous incarnation of Etsy search). Etsy, OTOH, allows many more characters in the title (isn't it something like 256?) which makes it super-easy for sellers to put all sorts of not-so-relevant words in the title ,,, and then there are the tags ... I've never been a fan of renewing; I've done it a few times, but never really got into it. My argument has always been that buyers should understand how to search the site for what they're looking for and if they knew how to weed out search terms (with a minus before the word), it is usually easy to narrow down a search very quickly! Although I've had an Etsy shop for 5 years now (my 5th Etsyversary was this past Sunday!), I've been lucky to get one sale a month, and have often gone MONTHS without a sale, though I do get views and hearts on a fairly regular basis. I've always used accurate titles and tags so this has been a total mystery to me. I'm hoping the new relevancy search default will finally allow my shop to take off! :-)

• TNShopthailand

TNShopthailand said 7 years ago

Wow fabulous!

• VisionsOfOlde

VisionsOfOlde said 7 years ago

Sorry but you are just making more work for us...if it ain't broken, don't fix it! Art Fire is committing suicide right as I write. Maybe they are hoping to pick up sellers from Etsy who are just plain discouraged by this whole thing. Stop trying to make us see the BIG PICTURE at the cost of OUR BUSINESSES. Things were fine, we can figure out SEO and other marketing outside of Etsy for ourselves. The majority want it back the way it was. Can you hear us????

• OldWorldBeads

OldWorldBeads said 7 years ago

Sales for me have never been worse than since the change. My entire income is now down to almost nothing. I work my shop hours and hours a day. Its my job. Makes no difference now I guess.

• FreelyExpressed

FreelyExpressed said 7 years ago

I did notice a increase in favorites and treasury list over the last weekend. I was surprised, but did not know why. Maybe it was the relecancy search. I like it! Can buyers from the outside (not etsy sellers) favorite a listing? Thank you!

• wearitsatvintage

wearitsatvintage said 7 years ago

My hits are down 50% and so are my listing hearts and I place well from what I can see in relevancy. Listed 2 beautiful items 4 days ago and both have under 15 hits each, not a common occurance. Recency is the most important feature of a fixed price site, constant stream of fresh new items. Not stagnant results. If you can work your relevancy algorithm to heavily feature recency you might have something. Honestly, how relevant is something that has sat unsold on the site for 3 or 4 months?. Hardly relevant enough for the 1st page of a relevancy search. Its just my opinion but a computer algorithm will never decide relevancy well or realistically. Also, so many people will attempt to game the search. The scarier part (a la ebay) is that algorithms can be tweaked by the site to decide who to show and who not too. It can be used as punishment or control over the sellers.

• paulbead

paulbead said 7 years ago

Up until now high volume and serious sellers on etsy have been a bit hard to approach, and competitive with each other. We can use this as an opportunity to connect and help each other.

• ShawnBoenArt

ShawnBoenArt said 7 years ago

Thank You for the updates .... I am trying to keep up with all of the advice and continue to review my shoppe and how I can make it a success. Thank you!

• rococovintage

rococovintage said 7 years ago

So... is there still any point in regularly renewing old listings? Or at least, as much of a point? I can't compare sales and stats yet because due to some emergency construction in my home, I haven't been able to post new items for a couple of weeks. I'm just wondering if I can save my $1-$2 a day on renewals now. ;)

• oldsheep

oldsheep said 7 years ago

SO DISAPPOINTING.,,,What seemed to be a positive and timely change turned out to be a bid mess. My sales did not change so far, but good luck to find my shop in relevancy search! Does it make sense if something got some hearts, it makes it to front page and gets even more hearts just because it is easy to spot? Etsy has the highest sales ever since the change? REALLY, Chad? Well , where these buyers are coming from? Some places must experience a huge swing of buyers switching to Etsy,,, Or did we restart failing buyers confidence country wise? Let see if this continues... Happy Holiday season everybody!

• iowajewel

iowajewel said 7 years ago

ok, everybody, hang in there! things were so slow for me at first but now they are picking up and i had 5 sales last night! Chad, if you are reading these, don't be discouraged! i know you have our best interest at heart and want the best for us. we ALL are a team at Etsy, one i am proud to be a part of, a big, friendly family. Etsy is the perfect fit for me, thank you so much for having a place where i can afford to have a shop! i am so grateful for the opportunity to be here!

• ShinyMetals

ShinyMetals said 7 years ago

Ok, my turn again. I been thinking and rethinking the whole schlamier here. My sales a re big time down, i hardly get any Mail.I am a very hard working girl this is my only income. I made some inquire to experts in the field of Internet sides and hosting sides. They told me, ETSY is no more NOW than a WEB HOSTING page, and the should not charge any sellers for renewing, but instead just charge a WEB HOSTING FEE a Month for ( let's say ) 7.99$ WOW.... how greedy can you get ETSY? we pay our own taxes anyway. we are monitored on paypal and a lot of people have a tax ID any way..and when not, how much is a TAX ID? 10$ a year...that's what i pay :) big deal. People, just think about it.

• ShinyMetals

ShinyMetals said 7 years ago

Is ETSY having a free fall DOWN DOWN the Rabbit hole like us.... NOW ? they sure make no money on THE NEVER RE-NEWER PEOPLE THAT YELL..YAHOOO A CHANGE. Oh ..by the way..Google does not like just KEYWORDS... the put you on the last page..this is there policy....* smart Chad * did you ever read there Policy? I guess Etsy is Band on the last page now....on GOOGLE .. like we are with our tag words on ETSY.....how pathetic..wake uppppppppppp!

• footloosefancyfree

footloosefancyfree said 7 years ago

I tried to calm down and do a few changes. I had already studied and based my shop on revelant words to begin with 2 years ago. I bought a PDF help book on the subject and also studied the Google help site. I don't want to change every listing until I hear from Etsy as to all the complaints. The reason only the so called unhappy sellers are donig the complaining is because they have to. How else would Etsy see what a mess it has made. I don't want to complain, I just want to do something to make things get back to normal. I sat for nearly an hour today waiting my turn on chat to ask a question regarding the supplies vs handmade category and patterns. Patterns are in both places. I was live with chat 3 times and cut off 3 times. The first person never answered me after she came on. The second person did not have the answer at all so I guess she just cut us off. The third time I got down to #1 and then a screen came on saying to send an email. I had saved the transcript so I sent it by email No news yet. I think what would help more than anything would be for Chad the CEO to make some kind of public statement and for someone to explain why reverlant words are on the back pages and nonsense on the first page. Plus they need to tell us exactly what they have used to come up with their diversity rules. Etsy changed the rules in the middle of the game. They should at least tell us what we need to do to accurately follow those rules and get like resluts for everyone.

• regencyregalia

regencyregalia said 7 years ago

I'm still unsure about the changes. This has hit my store at the worst time of the year, having just made a huge amout of work for up and coming events my listings are now lost amoungst totally unrelated items. I've wasted a huge amount of time desperatly tweeking my titles to get them up near the top, time I could have spent making items for my shop. On the plus side though I have had a big increase in views, though a decrease in expected sales. I'm just hoping things pick up a bit soon. Love the stats though great to really see whats going on. Thanks for keeping us informed.

• Bjsgourdartetc

Bjsgourdartetc said 7 years ago

I'm very new to Etsy and so far I have a few issues. I'm one of many gourd artist and I had to go thru 40+ pages to find one of my pieces. It would be helpful if the more pricey gourd artist could be seen sooner than 40+ pgs, and as the add new pieces to there sites it gets pushed further down the pages. There are always good and bad and we have to adjust to all. I'm not sure how this will effect my shop. I see some activity on my shop but no one is buying-lots of looks