Etsy News Blog

UK Edition: Dog Rescue With pennydogaccessories

The internationally-renowned dog show Crufts — judging on appearance, agility and even doggy dancing — is on this week in Birmingham. In light of some controversy surrounding its screening on the BBC due to the questioning of certain breeders’ ethics, I’ve invited Kerry Wilkinson of pennydogaccessories to tell us about an organisation called the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT).

Adopting Penny, our first greyhound, coincided with me taking my craft more seriously. Through wanting to help raise money for the RGT, pennydogaccessories was born!

We adopted Penny in May 2007, just before her 10th birthday, which is pretty old to be adopted. The tattoos in her ears told us a lot about her: when her birthday was, who her parents were and also her racing history. She raced in Ireland until she was two years old, then for a further year in the UK, where it came to a sudden end after being knocked down on the track. Her life after that and before being adopted is vague.The local dog warden found her in a ditch with several injuries and she was extremely wary of people, especially men. Luckily she got to know and trust my partner, Alex, quite quickly after they went chasing rabbits together! To this day she walks faithfully by our sides.

Penny is safe and well, which wouldn’t have been possible without the RGT. Before we signed her adoption papers, she underwent an operation to remove a growth from her face and several bad teeth. She was also given tablets for an infection in her tail. All of this was paid for as part of their adoption scheme. In June 2009 we decided to adopt again, this time a more boisterous six-year-old called Fletcher. His original name was Slippy and he had a much more prosperous racing history. Even though he’d been in a home before he came to us, he still received treatment paid in entirety by the RGT to remove a corn from his foot (plus countless dressings and antibiotics afterward).

Photo by pennydogaccessories

So after spending other people’s generous donations on Penz and Boo (their nicknames), when I set up pennydogaccessories on Etsy I pleddged to donate $2 from each sale to slowly pay it all back. To this date I have raised £500 (around $680), partially funded by the lovely buyers of Etsy! Fundraising for greyhounds doesn’t stop there. There are estimated to be up to 9,000 greyhounds retiring from racing every year in the UK alone, with many more in the U.S., Ireland and beyond. There are similar organisations in place worldwide that help promote re-homing and the Etsy Team Handmade4Hounds help raise money for a different one each month. Just search Team H4H to find their members’ items for sale.

If you’re thinking of re-homing a dog, consider a greyhound. They’re very easy to care for and don’t demand too much besides lots of cuddles, the occasional treat and perhaps your place on the sofa!

Further resources:
Handmade4Hounds Team Shop
Retired Greyhounds Trust

Many thanks to Kerry for telling us about this wonderful cause. Check out her items ($2 from every sale goes to the RGT) and her Etsy picks below.

Browse items for Pets on Etsy | Read More Posts In The UK Edition

• ClareBears

ClareBears says:

And a damn fine cause it is too! Penny and Fletcher are lucky pooches

• trinketsncharms

trinketsncharms says:

I know several people who adopted greyhounds through that charity and they all say similar to Penny about greyhounds, and yay for highlighting charity!

• VINTAGEhaberdashery

VINTAGEhaberdashery says:

aww penny and fletcher are so gorgeous!

• QuiteContrary2

QuiteContrary2 says:

thanks for this, it's a really interesting article - didn't know about the adoption program before! Will actually be considering a greyhound now if I ever get to have a dog; they're great for people with allergies too as they've short hair. And well done Kerry, love your work!

• creamrose

creamrose says:

Fabulous Kerry! So great to hear about causes like this and all the hard work that goes into them:)

• LustreBeads

LustreBeads says:

A great article, what a wonderful cause. Yay for a fellow Brummy! I work volunatarily at the blue cross, adoption is so important and greyhounds are brilliant companions.

• wishartglass

wishartglass says:

I love this story. We've adopted a total of 5 dogs throughout the years. All have been wonderful, loving companions. Thanks so much for supporting animal adoption!

• bigbluebed

bigbluebed says:

My sister has had many retired greyhounds and they are all lovely. Mostly they just want love and a sleep on the couch. I think it is fantastic that Kerry raises money towards the trust - it is so worthwile. We think of ourselves as a nation of doglovers...

• jewelrybyjackie

jewelrybyjackie says:

My father-in-law has two adopted / retired greyhounds. They are the most loving companions. What a great story, thanks for sharing!!

• pennydogaccessories

pennydogaccessories says:

Thank you for having me, and letting me share some of my favourite sellers too :)

• Minxshop

Minxshop says:

My heart is officially melted. I actually donated to to a fund to fight the puppy mill industry here in PA. Apparently we have the worse puppy mills on the eastern sea board of the United States. In case anyone else is interested in helping, here is a plug: http://www.pspca.org/news/puppy_mills The PSPCA does wonderful things! I think they said two hundred dollars will save and pay for the treatment/ rehabilitation of a puppy mill dog.

• LittleWrenPottery

LittleWrenPottery says:

Nice dog, greyhounds are pretty smart dogs unfortunately overlooked. A lot of people think they'll be aggressive due to their racing background.

• bysweetmom

bysweetmom says:

thanks for sharing this great article, penny and fletcher are so sweet

• lovelygifts

lovelygifts says:

Great cause!

• TheCottageCheese

TheCottageCheese says:

What a wonderful story, always nice to meet such a generous, thoughtful seller! I have two rescue dogs myself. There are so many sad, neglected, and abandoned dogs out there who need a loving home. A friend of mine adopted a retired greyhound, and she was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met!

• AliBaliJewellery

AliBaliJewellery says:

Brilliant cause and what gorgeous dogs!

• CatzillaCrafts

CatzillaCrafts says:

I'm definately going to rescue a greyhound. But not until I live somewhere with lots of room to run around!

• AmandaSainsbury

AmandaSainsbury says:

Lovely article and lovely dogs!

• AREjewellery

AREjewellery says:

Good work Kerry! Great cause.

• Cowisland

Cowisland says:

Well done Kerry!

• LifeCovers

LifeCovers says:

Congratulations on raising so much for such a good organisatin.

• CarryTheWord

CarryTheWord says:

Beautiful dogs and great article!

• LifeCovers

LifeCovers says:

Congratulations on raising so much for such a great cause.

• SimpleJoysPaperie

SimpleJoysPaperie says:

Penz and Boo are beautiful and so lucky to have you! Keep up the great work for such a worthy cause!

• Tumus

Tumus says:

Awww! What a great article! My backdoor neighbors adopted a retired greyhound and are currently acting as foster parents to another greyhound named Flash :) I love organizations like these, they really make the doggie world go round.

• julieandco

julieandco says:

We also owned a rescued greyhound, Libby. By far the sweetest, most loving, gentle dog ever! My heart misses her!! Thank you for this great article!

• FamaraDesigns

FamaraDesigns says:

Great Article. My best friend in a cause like that one in Spain. Save dog's live.

• maggiemaevintage

maggiemaevintage says:

Beautiful story and a lovely gift for everyone.

• urbanknitfits

urbanknitfits says:

quite the striking photo by penny! And a lovely story about rescue. I'm intrigued by the dog dancing portion of the competition!

• Laurasbox

Laurasbox says:

aaawwwwww!!!! I love dogs :)

• TanyaMac

TanyaMac says:

Greyhounds are such fine lookin' animals - just look at those photos! Fletcher and Penny are soo lucky to have found such loving owners! well done you ;)

• SugarKids

SugarKids says:

Great Story. Love your dogs!

• dragonhouseofyuen

dragonhouseofyuen says:

excellent article!! well done to Kerry for her commendable work! and fantastic to see my lovely efa team mates and friends here - Yvonne from collar me gorgeous, Jane from The Dog House (whose 2 greyhounds I have had the pleasure of being a 'pillow' for :) and Pam from Ben McFuzzylugs who has rescue dogs! well done!! more like this please :) (I help the rescue rabbits :)

• pattihaskins

pattihaskins says:

woof! purrr............ all my critters like this story

• lazygiraffe

lazygiraffe says:

Great feature, the RGT sounds like a fabulous charity and I'm glad people are rehoming these lovely dogs!

• AMIdesigns

AMIdesigns says:

great story!

• Floreal

Floreal says:

Awesome article.. very enlighting..its nice to know that someone out there is taking good care of the dogs..:)

• ImageCraftCreation

ImageCraftCreation says:

I love seeing these great organizations highlighted. I do a lot of work here in the United States (PA) for animal shelters. I have several adopted cats and an adopted dog. Hope to see more articles like this soon!

• QuiltFinger

QuiltFinger says:

Great post! My cousin adopted several here in the states, so there are lots of ways to get involved here too.

• kadlubik

kadlubik says:

beautiful dogs

• mia09

mia09 says:

Great article! I believe in good Karma and in sharing my creativity for a good cause! Hope many other artists will follow the example.

• saintesmariesjewelry

saintesmariesjewelry says:

very nice article!! love the dog accessories!

• moosomething

moosomething says:

This is wonderful and a great cause! Thank you so much for what you do!

• polkadotmagpie

polkadotmagpie says:

Lovely piece...dog racing...grrrr. Our "Buddy" is a rescue. We say he rescued us! ♡

• candacejean

candacejean says:

This is such an awesome story! I absolutely adore greyhounds; there is an organization here in my hometown that helps find retired racers new homes. I've kept in touch with them just aching to adopt my own greyhound, but they won't send the dogs to homes without fenced backyards. SIGH. (Our backyard can't easily be fenced due to layout with the driveway.) Maybe some day I could have one! Thank you so much for contributing to a great cause!

• worksofwhimsy

worksofwhimsy says:

Hounds are such sweet, mellow dogs! Hooray for you and for the organization that aids these gentle beasts.

• happyhound

happyhound says:

Yeah for Greyhound adoption! I am a member of Handmade4Hounds as well and the money raised has benfitted many hounds in need. You will never regret adopting a grey!

• incywincytogs

incywincytogs says:

yay, well done Kerry! A great cause :) Love (and big kiss from Emma) to Penny and Fletcher x

• HandmadeByAlison

HandmadeByAlison says:

What a great article - heartwarming indeed. Lovely to hear of Etsians using their talents to help good causes. Keep up the good work!

• LichenStudio

LichenStudio says:

So inspiring! A fine example of combining one's passion(s) with social responsibility. Bravo!

• Whimsywares

Whimsywares says:

Greyhounds are such beautiful creatures. The adoption program is such a great way to give a home to dogs who still have so much love to give.

• thedoghouse

thedoghouse says:

Fantastic article Kerry! Both Penny & Fletcher are absolutely gorgeous & I completely share your sentiments about retired greyhounds making great pets ;-)

• cottagefarm

cottagefarm says:

I love hearing other greyhound parents stories especially on the other side of the pond. beautiful work- thank you for sharing it with the community. perhaps it will inspire someone to adopt a new friend.

• sadiesez

sadiesez says:

Yay!!! :)

• kwicker

kwicker says:

I donate to Greyhound Lifesavers in Columbia, SC. I have adopted two retired racing greyhounds from them and would have more if I had the room ;) They are such gentle, funny, and loving dogs! Keep up the great work Kerry!!!!!!

• TheFeltElf

TheFeltElf says:

Penny and Fletcher are gorgeous!! Greyhounds and Lurchers do make the most beautiful pets, my Galibeast is a rescue lurcher and totally adorable. Good luck with everything.

• minimummouse

minimummouse says:

Excellent piece - I just love your doggies! My life isn't suited to owning a dog just now, much as I would love one, but when the time comes I will consider a greyhound. Thanks for sharing the story.

• lifeofcolors

lifeofcolors says:

I LOVE dogs. Lucky Penny and Fletcher. :-)

• YellowViolet

YellowViolet says:

Yay Kerry! I wish everyone was as kindhearted towards animals as you are. Thank you for giving those doggies a great home. I love happy endings!

• hamesgirl

hamesgirl says:

The UK and dogs - my two favourite things! Good luck with all you do, Kerry. You're a good 'un!

• ewunia1

ewunia1 says:

Thank you for sharing your heartwarming story! ;O)

• DemarestProductions

DemarestProductions says:

This is really a great thing to bring up. I adopted my greyhound, Destiny, (sadly, she passed away recently) and she has been the best companion I could ever ask for. Greyhounds make wonderful pets!

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat says:

My mother has always had rescued greyhounds & they really are perfect pets. All the animals I've ever owned have been rescued as well... there are so many (even pedigree dogs & cats) needing homes that I can't imagine ever wanting to buy from even a reputable breeder let alone a puppy mill.

• prettylittlethieves

prettylittlethieves says:

there are so many amazing animals that need homes. thank you for sharing your story and your lovely shop. great cause.

• mvegan5

mvegan5 says:

So wonderful and inspiring! ;0) Great to see others helping animals on Etsy! I'm proud to be a member of Handmade 4 Hounds and have items listed to help greyhounds http://handmade4hounds.etsy.com I am so sad for the greyhounds who suffer because of racing, and so thankful for rescues like this one and those who help them!

• Tias

Tias says:

Great cause! Woof Woof! ;)

• glamasaurus

glamasaurus says:

Yay for rescuing dogs! I follow pennydog on twitter and her stuff is fantastic!

• Sammis2shoes

Sammis2shoes says:

thank goodness for greyhound rescue society's!

• vintagemaison

vintagemaison says:

Our rescued Pippa was the most intelligent, beautiful and amusing dog I have ever known - we miss her even now, 10 years on. We now have a rescued poodle who is gorgeous, but there is something really special about greyhounds. A lovely story, thank you.

• IndyGrrrlProductions

IndyGrrrlProductions says:

Such cute dogs and what a great cause!

• baconsquarefarm

baconsquarefarm says:

Lovely story, like your shop too, we rescued a greyhound from the humane society wonderful animal. She's gone now and we have another rescue a border collie someone left at a shelter. Good for us. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

• EJPcreations

EJPcreations says:

We share our home with two retired whippets. Smaller versions of greyhounds. They are the most loving animals on the planet. More like living with really really affectionate roomates than dogs. I wish we had room for more.

• Slowshirts

Slowshirts says:

So heartwarming, what great story! Everyone PLEASE consider rescuing a dog before buying one from the newspaper or a breeder. So many dogs are waiting for a good home and some love! petfinder.com is a great way to start a search and you can look for a particular breed if that's what you want as well!

• LoveButtons

LoveButtons says:

What a wonderful story with a happy ending for Penny and Fletcher. Our neighbour has two rescued greyhounds and they are beautiful, intelligent dogs. Our own rescue dog (a Staffie cross called Henry) sadly wouldn't want anyone else sharing his bed!

• baublezptoa

baublezptoa says:

My kind of transactions, lets help the doggies that need us! We have three rescues, and they all have there ways, one in particular named Tattoo is a regal gentleman of Chow and who knows what!

• odiliafu

odiliafu says:

Wonderful cause!! Thanks for sharing!

• inajuicebox

inajuicebox says:

Aww what lucky dogs to get such a lovley home!

• melis731

melis731 says:

This is a wonderful article! Rescuing is the way to go!!

• EthelandIris

EthelandIris says:

I'm just in the process of adopting a whippet so this is very close to my heart. Greyhounds and whippets are wonderful companions. Lovely article and photos. Lx

• grandmamarievintage

grandmamarievintage says:

Aw, what a great story!!

• zuppaartista

zuppaartista says:

beautiful dogs and beautiful story. really tugs at my heart strings!

• recycledwares

recycledwares says:

i'm so glad the greyhounds can experience freedom and a life outside of racing.

• ReclaimedObjects

ReclaimedObjects says:

love this article my sister lives in Austin Tex and she adopted 2 greyhounds they are the most laid back dogs!Im sure she'd love some of your stuff. I'll forward her your post.

• battysbath

battysbath says:

What a great cause! I have my own 3 rescue dogs (one of which is a greyhound cross) and I couldn't imagine my life without them!

• craftscafe

craftscafe says:

Way to go Kerry! On my “self-made: craft empowerment†blog I feature people who use their craft to advance a cause they are passionate about & am always looking to add more inspiring acts of kindness and determination among the craft community. http://craftscafe.wordpress.com/category/crafters-hall-of-fame/ Thank you for sharing your story via etsy! I may be contacting you in the near future ;-)

• J2Jewelry

J2Jewelry says:

I'm an honorary godmother to three amazing greyhounds and can attest to their intelligence, sweetness and cuddlableness. Thank you for this article which helps illuminate the importance of opening one's heart to animals deserving of a second chance.

• lapisbeach

lapisbeach says:

Amazing story Kerry! Very insipiring! We have a rescued Great Pyrenees from an amazing rescue facility in Richmond VA...I would love to help them someday through my etsy adventures.

• MeAndBoo

MeAndBoo says:

My dog's nickname was Boo also! She was a Golden Retriever. A few people I know have rescued Greyhounds here in Melbourne and all say how wonderful they are. Great work!

• klacustomcreations

klacustomcreations says:

love this post, I have a greyhound who we rescued and we have said it will be the only dog we will ever have! Love seeing greyhound stuff!

• MaaPstudio

MaaPstudio says:

Beautiful,heartwarming story!

• hedgerowfancies

hedgerowfancies says:

Greyhounds are beautiful dogs. Great cause to raise money for!

• threepeats

threepeats says:

Wonderful work...and I mean both the charitable kind and the artistic kind!

• niftyknits

niftyknits says:

great to learn more about Kerry!

• thearthermit

thearthermit says:

Great article, wonderful cause, I have personally homed 8 rescue dogs in my time (now all desceased) and it can be very rewarding, but hard work too :)

• finestimaginary

finestimaginary says:

Great article, as a dog lover it's really nice to read about the great work people are doing!

• MeowBarkArt

MeowBarkArt says:

What a great article... the dog in my avatar is my sweet rescue dog Maisy- fostering, rescuing & rehoming is such a rewarding experience. Thanks so much for your kindness to your dogs... "sometimes we don't rescue them, sometimes they rescue US!"

• Iammie

Iammie says:

Nice article. I love dogs too.

• MonkeyCatBoutique

MonkeyCatBoutique says:

great story,thank you for sharing

• clearcat

clearcat says:

How great story!! I really love this story, thanks!! :)

• fieldofroses

fieldofroses says:

Greyt article! Our retired greyhound is a wonderful family member and we hope to see more greyhounds find happy homes!

• icarruth

icarruth says:

I'm part of a dachshund rescue group in Atlanta. Thank you to all of the kind people who donate, support and spread the word about rescue. www.dreamrescue.org -Ivy

• lilycobweb

lilycobweb says:

Great story, and a great Etsy shop too! Well done, Kerry:)

• hulagirlsoapco

hulagirlsoapco says:

how do i donate from my etsy shop for pups to your cause. I give to the local humane society 4x per year but it just doesn't feel like it's enough. Can you contact me at www.henrybearlove.etsy.com and let me know how I can donate?? Thanks! Excellent Blog article@ Thanks

• hulagirlsoapco

hulagirlsoapco says:

4 paws up!

• colouritgreen

colouritgreen says:

such beautiful dogs :)

• tialys

tialys says:

Rescue dogs Rock!!

• gemgemz

gemgemz says:

My dad belongs to the RGT it is an amazing charity and they do so much for the dogs after their careers which would otherwise see them killed or mistreated. We homed two Greyhounds through this charity both ex racers the first one called Monkey Magic and the secon Suzie, both had been mistreated, beaten and tortured after their careers as they became burdons to the owners (they couldnt bring in money once they retired!) Monkey was so skinny we hand fed him for two weeks before he could stand and eat on his own. Suzie had also been beaten and had been badly nutured meaning she had a horrible puckered scar where they had cut her open. They were both the most amazing dogs and lifelong companions and although they have both sadly passed away i miss them dearly! I think what you do is amazing! What a great great idea, these lovely dogs don't get enough recognition and you are doing just that! I wish you heaps of success, Big Hugs Gem x

• monkeyandsquirrel

monkeyandsquirrel says:

i loved this story! dog rescue is something that is very close to my heart. i've worked with a local rescue since moving to NC and every single pup there has filled a happy little place in my heart. 5% of my sales goes directly to them, it's not much, but every little bit can help a dog in need lead a better life. rescue dogs are the best there is!

• thedoghouse

thedoghouse says:

So fab to see how many greyhound adopters there are here on Etsy! & just in case anyone's not quite convinced, here's why I think GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS: http://maxandmollydesigns.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/why-greyhounds-make-great-pets/ ;-)

• RoseAndRaven

RoseAndRaven says:

Fabulous article Kerry and well done for the money you've raised for the RGT.

• pasin

pasin says:

Lovely article and lovely dogs...

• VeeDubz

VeeDubz says:

great article :)

• PrettyBeadCompany

PrettyBeadCompany says:

Nice one Kerry! Its a great cause :)

• metroretrovintage

metroretrovintage says:

Absolutely wonderful story. I have friends who have adopted from several Greyhound rescues in Florida. BTW, I hear that greyhounds are real 'couch potatoes', lol.

• Beast1277

Beast1277 says:

You are a wonderful person for rescuing animals. I volunteer in IL at a thrift store and we raise money for homeless animals. I have a rescue dog myself and love her more then anything in the world! Keep doing what your doing!!