Community Council Summary: June 2010

Jul 19, 2010

by Michael Hernandez

Hello, Etsy community!

As the Community Council worked through its sixth and final month, those members participating in discussions shared their thoughts on recent changes to the site and welcomed our new Director of Community, Etsy’s own Vanessa, into the conversation. First among topics discussed was a subject that had come up in prior months: controlling and eliminating repeats in the collections on Etsy’s home page. The Council was troubled by the fact that repeats persisted after we ceased to create lists and only selected them from Treasury for the home page. Vanessa shared with the Council another challenge of selecting lists for the front page: most of the lists otherwise meeting the criteria for the home page contained a seller that had been repeated at some point. While this might work out well for buyers and browsers, everyone in the discussion agreed that it was something that could only benefit a few sellers. Vanessa responded with the idea that instead of one single home page for everyone, we could offer customized pages based on your Favorites, Teams you’ve joined and Suggested Shops in an effort to make the home page more attractive to buyers and more fair to sellers. The Council met that with some skepticism, and it left us to concede that there may not be one configuration of the home page that suits everyone.

Some members of the Council did like the design of the newly-widened search results page, and most of the sellers who tried out the Etsy Explorer enjoyed using it, though a few members remarked that its reliance on tags highlighted cases of apparent tag abuse. The Council was somewhat less satisfied with the print version of the invoice page refresh. While it did receive some positive reviews, others likened it more to a packing slip (and less appropriate for a seller’s records) than an actual invoice/receipt. Additionally, members commented on how the invoice page provided too little of a seller’s branding and too little relevant information for transactions outside of the United States.

Much of this month’s meeting surrounded how search on Etsy can be an overwhelming experience, and particularly difficult for shoppers who have something very specific in mind. Members at the Council meeting attributed this largely to three few factors: ambiguities in parts of our current taxonomy, tag abuse by some sellers, and an overreliance on tags in Etsy’s search function. Our taxonomist Amy acknowledged the issue in a later discussion on the topic and said that improvements to findability are high-priority tasks.

I’m excited to welcome Vanessa as the new point person for the Community Council, as you might have seen here. It has been my pleasure to work with this group of 25 talented and thoughtful Etsians for these past six months, and I’d like to offer my thanks both personally and on behalf of Etsy for all of their hard work. They’ve done everything that we’ve asked of them and have served you well!

Past Community Council Summaries

Rippring Umgekrempelt Dark
Rippring Umgekrempelt Dark
$426.83 USD
vintage 1950's sunbeam mixer
vintage 1950's sunbeam mixer
Sold
Mid Century Modern Studio Ceramic Vase
Mid Century Modern Studio Ceramic Vase
Sold
reserved for elisa  this way large figural hand carved wood hand sign
reserved for elisa this way large figural hand carved wood hand sign
Sold
hand carved wooden mushroom
hand carved wooden mushroom
Sold
through a glass darkly
through a glass darkly
Sold
Two Porcelain Tea light Delight of your choice. Design by Wapa Studio.
Two Porcelain Tea light Delight of your choice. Design by Wapa Studio.
Sold

• bylynnkrestel

bylynnkrestel said 7 years ago

i appreciate the FP currated by etsy members...i dont think we are seeing the repeats as much anymore... my two cents...

• bylynnkrestel

bylynnkrestel said 7 years ago

and i appreciate all of your hard work on this!! thank you!

• ecozuzu

ecozuzu said 7 years ago

thanks for sharing about your meeting. hopefully some of those ideas will help etsy buyers and sellers! how do treasury's get chosen to be featured on the home page? thanks!

• thefrenchcountrylook

thefrenchcountrylook said 7 years ago

Funny...there is a repeat item, even here..

• Hammermann

Hammermann said 7 years ago

It would be nice to be able to have access to the total amount of sales in the current month of my shop.

• GlitzGlitter

GlitzGlitter said 7 years ago

Thanks for the update! And thank you to the sellers who are working hard with admin to better help the community!

• SpacejamHandmade

SpacejamHandmade said 7 years ago

I am seeing a double photo =) thank you!

• RainyPenguinVintage

RainyPenguinVintage said 7 years ago

Thanks so much for the update!

• hypericumfragile

hypericumfragile said 7 years ago

Thanks for info.

• wulfgirl

wulfgirl said 7 years ago

Thanks for your expertise in looking for ways to solve some challenging problems. Appreciate the work the committee has done.

• hautecountryvintage

hautecountryvintage said 7 years ago

Thanks for the summary!

• CarryTheWord

CarryTheWord said 7 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• junkyardglitter

junkyardglitter said 7 years ago

Thanks for the great work!

• poplovedesigns

poplovedesigns said 7 years ago

It's wonderful that you keep the whole of the Etsy community updated on these important issues. I'm very curious about what possible changes would be made to the homepage. <3 Andrea

• rosebudshome

rosebudshome said 7 years ago

I really like the idea of pages based on the Favorites, and the searches can be overwhelming. Thank goodness for the Council to work out the kinks.

• loopyboopy

loopyboopy said 7 years ago

appreciate the councils hard work. I'm surprised the issue of resellers was not addressed. Seems to be a major concern amongst the community.

• 8smake

8smake said 7 years ago

I think some FP repeats can be eliminated by not repeatedly choosing the same curator's lists for the FP. Very informative article, thank you!

• LaughingMoonCreation

LaughingMoonCreation said 7 years ago

Interesting read .Thanks. Love the choices in related items.

• byhelenga

byhelenga said 7 years ago

Thanks to all Etsians for great work!

• beautifulanodyne

beautifulanodyne said 7 years ago

Thank You for posting this information for us. It helps keep us sellers in the loop of everyone's concerns.

• stubborndog

stubborndog said 7 years ago

Thanks for all of your work - I love that the FPs are curated by etsians... I think the repeats are mostly compliments to those sellers with great photos. I know that when I make treasuries, I tend to go back to shops that I can rely on for awesome items and pics. You're doing wonderfully - don't worry about a few complaints.

• expressyourself

expressyourself said 7 years ago

Lovely work!

• BirdonWireStudio

BirdonWireStudio said 7 years ago

Thanks for this info. I think repeats are a natural progression of exposure. If the FP features a lovely item, it exposes a lot of people who make treasuries to that lovely item. Hence - the lovely item appears in future treasuries, thereby increasing the likelihood it will end up on the FP again. It's just statistics. I like that you're picking from Treasury East. There are some amazing curators on Etsy and their collections deserve to be recognized. Keep up the good work. I love Etsy!

• StringsnTings

StringsnTings said 7 years ago

I don't really notice repeats on the FP too much, but maybe to ease others minds you could somehow have a limit to how many times a month someone can be featured on FP?

• loopinloop

loopinloop said 7 years ago

Thank you for the information. I do find it unjust to see the same people over and over in the front page. But when something is beautiful you can't help but like it, what can you say! (Mind you I have never been featured..., so I am not talking about my work) I miss seeing treasuries from ETSY admin, I found them fresh and trendy. I am a huge fan of Etsy, thank you for having me here XOXO

• taniacavenecia

taniacavenecia said 7 years ago

Loving all the improvements and it's great to hear about the efforts to make things even better! Thanks : )

• bejeweledbynikki

bejeweledbynikki said 7 years ago

Yes, Etsy has served us well! Thank you Etsy! Thanks for sharing this info; and for what it's worth, I've always found what I've searched for with no problems. I too love the attention to the front page on repeats. Although, I'm sure if it were me, I would welcome it :) Thanks for everything! xoxo

• QuietStorytellers

QuietStorytellers said 7 years ago

Thank you, Etsy Admin, for keeping us informed--it is a kindness well appreciated. As for the FP repeats, why can't the repeated items/sellers/etc be removed and an admin choice be substituted? Why are all the FPs now member curated treasuries? Why not both admin and member? It is the quality and breadth of work that makes Etsy so strong; why place artificial limits on the page that welcomes all of us in?

• GloryBDesign

GloryBDesign said 7 years ago

Ah, technology - can't live with it...can't live without it! Seriously, while I know there's still room for improvement, I am sooooo grateful for Etsy and the wonderful work you all do and the opportunities that are provided. I'd be a little concerned with FP being based on favorites because I wouldn't want to miss out on all the wonderful items I might come to love if I was exposed to them. Discovering new artists and their creations is one of my favorite things about buying on Etsy. Thanks, again for everything!

• steampunkjunk

steampunkjunk said 7 years ago

I am so glad you inform us of what is happening. I appreciate that you hear our voices and address our concerns. Thank you for letting us be a part of the whole success.

• bhangtiez

bhangtiez said 7 years ago

Great update & info...thank you so much for your hard work & always trying to improve our lovely ETSY land!

• girltuesdayjewelry

girltuesdayjewelry said 7 years ago

Thank you for the update! I have always been and continue to be happy here on Etsy. I feel cared for!

• sarahknightdesign

sarahknightdesign said 7 years ago

Sounds good:) Thanks for all of your hard work + research on our behalf! Keep up the good work!

• WeeBindery

WeeBindery said 7 years ago

Thank you and a thank you to everyone involved with making Etsy even better!!

• maggiemaevintage

maggiemaevintage said 7 years ago

thanks for your concerns and a job well done!

• hankietankie

hankietankie said 7 years ago

...i appreciate everyone's hard work!!! persuing one's dream is a constant process of re-dedication... XO

• lorenabr

lorenabr said 7 years ago

lovely work :)

• CDChilds

CDChilds said 7 years ago

Thank you so much for your hard work. I always look forward to improvements to an already great site.

• sacredsuds

sacredsuds said 7 years ago

Thank you so much for the update, and for working so hard within the Etsy community to try to address concerns from all corners. I agree with GloryBDesign, I don't like the idea of FP being based on favorites. I hate to think of the fresh things we might miss if the FP were tailored to what we already like. I think you've been doing a brilliant job of improving Etsy. Keep up the great work!

• ZenAndCoffee

ZenAndCoffee said 7 years ago

Great report! Thank you so much for keeping us informed, as I know its not often easy. I like the front page as a tool to find new things, sellers and items- not something based on favorites- or essentially, things I would already be on the hunt for. The FP serves as a gateway to things I may have never known I wanted, and I would think that does for most people. Please don't change that. Perhaps keep it rotating more interesting and different items- things that don't often see front page, and a wide array of colors and items. We all know those treasuries get made, heck I am in almost 200 T easts with wildly amazing and interesting items- all with astounding photography and sellers. Keep it fresh, and the community will be happy. Thank you to all of you for your hard work and for giving us artists a place to learn and thrive! Etsy has brought us as a community so much, and I hope we can do the same for you!

• craftpile

craftpile said 7 years ago

Thanks so much!

• beachglassshop

beachglassshop said 7 years ago

Thank you all for your insights!!!

• westbournegrove

westbournegrove said 7 years ago

Keep up the great work! You're adressing the issues that concern us all and that is why this is such a great community! Thank you!

• WoodlandBelle

WoodlandBelle said 7 years ago

It's hard to please everybody, but we all appreciate that Etsy has not turned a deaf ear to the concerns of the community. I agree with stubborndog and birdonwirestudio's comments above. Mostly member-curated FP's have been a refreshing change, but I don't think it's fair to exclude the Etsy admin themselves from the honors of the occasional FP selection. ZenandCoffee also has an excellent point...FP's that were made and custom-catered to our favorites and suggested shops would be leaving out a lot of undiscovered finds. I don't want to miss out! Finding that perfect balance of widely representing the community while also keeping the FP attractive and professional is undoubtedly one of the biggest challenges Etsy admin will ever face. I'm sure that creative solutions will continue to be discovered.

• accentonvintage

accentonvintage said 7 years ago

THANKS FOR THE UPDATES AND ALL THE HARD WORK THAT IS PUT INTO THEM!

• jubilee82

jubilee82 said 7 years ago

So nice!! :)

• LittleWrenPottery

LittleWrenPottery said 7 years ago

I actually like the idea of custom FP selections for different people since that'd help to more effectively target your shop demographic.

• KristyLynnJewelry

KristyLynnJewelry said 7 years ago

Thank you for all your hard work, keep it up!

• SimpleJoysPaperie

SimpleJoysPaperie said 7 years ago

Thank you for listening to ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing continued improvements! :)

• SantasStitchery

SantasStitchery said 7 years ago

Many thanks on all your work making Etsy better and better. It shows!

• happywhosits

happywhosits said 7 years ago

Thank you, Rob, and Community Council! I have to chime in with my comments on the front page - as a seller I don't like to see the same item or same seller too often on the front page. But I like the idea of some customized front pages even less, as both a buyer and a seller! I greatly dislike & never use the suggested shops option. Most of them don't interest me at all. Eileen...

• urbanknitfits

urbanknitfits said 7 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I too love the new treasury options and the FP has been really unique and well just plain AWESOME! Can I suggest some ideas I've been dying to have for etsy!? A registry feature- perf for bridal and baby showers and for the "happy couple". ALSO- can we organize our own favorites? After a while there gets to be too many pages of favorites- and its nice to be able to look at "jewelry" , "clothing" "vintage" all in one place- will make shopping our favorites so much easier, etc!? thanks for keeping us in the loop!

• sweetjane

sweetjane said 7 years ago

Getting it right all the time is far less important than simply TRYING to get it right all the time...

• LiaLane

LiaLane said 7 years ago

I want them all!!

• PaperPicker

PaperPicker said 7 years ago

wow, customizing the homepage to each user sounds complicated, but i agree with the duplicated shops and items. i have noticed certain sellers and items ending up on the front page more than once. etsy could help sellers and artists by limiting that and giving more exposure to others.

• Dryw

Dryw said 7 years ago

thanks for the info!

• abbytrysagain

abbytrysagain said 7 years ago

Thanks for all your hard work guys :) And thanks for featuring my print in this post.

• 4TheSparrowsNest

4TheSparrowsNest said 7 years ago

I wanted to add another comment about the controversy of the FP. Like Happywhosits, I as a seller don't see a huge amount of overly-represented sellers. For every "repeat", there are dozens of new shops seen around Etsy. I think we are constantly exposed to new items, but there are those have a mind to focus on the "repeats." And as to those "repeated" sellers getting exposure on Etsy, I believe that they're featured often because they've got great photography. Why should sellers, who've worked hard to perfect their products and photos, not get exposure to reward them for their hard work? People must remember that before anything, Etsy is a business, and the objective of the good folks who run Etsy is to make a profit. An attractive site draws customers in and creates more business, and makes it a better place for all of us. The purpose of Etsy admin is not so that they can do all of our marketing and product exposure for us. If we find that our shops happen to be underrepresented, then it's up to US to bring the business to our stores. I hope that Etsy continues to have a hand in what products are featured around the site, because I think the site is beautiful, and other sites like it are hard-pressed to be what Etsy is. I do of course, appreciate that Etsy is and always has been concerned about the voices of all artists here. That's part of what makes this such a special community.

• OhFaro

OhFaro said 7 years ago

It was a great pleasure to be on the second community council. I enjoyed the opportunity to work with Rob White, some of the etsy staff and the great sellers on this team. Thank you so much for the wonderful experience. *** 4TheSparrowsNest, I agree that etsy should remain focused on the beauty of the front page and keep presenting the most beautiful etsy has to offer. However, featuring a single seller three times in one day, 12 times in one week or 30+ times in one month, is absolutely over the top. There is too much untapped beauty to choose from here, for that to keep happening. LoopyBoopy, I just want to add that the council brought up the reseller issue many times during our service.

• MoolyArt

MoolyArt said 7 years ago

I love it that Etsy just keeps getting better and better! Thank you all for a great team, good communication and a wonderful community spirit.

• crochetgal

crochetgal said 7 years ago

Thanks to the council for all their hard work. I understand that its difficult to come to a consensus on the FP issue and that's understandable. However, I do miss seeing the Admin curated treasuries at least on occasion. Two issues that really need to be addressed immediately on Etsy is the issue of reselling and the tagging. Both are hindering the buyers from getting the quality product that they are looking for.

• candlekitty

candlekitty said 7 years ago

Thanks for all your hard work!! I am so grateful I was welcomed in as a new seller earlier this year. My 2 cents: don't tailor the FP to each members favorites and suggested shops. As a buyer, I don't like most of the suggested shops on my profile! And if it's my favorite, then I've already found it. Chances are, I'm looking for something else. Keep it interesting. Just my opinion. :)

• muchuanlin

muchuanlin said 7 years ago

Thanks for all your hard work guys :) And thanks for featuring my print in this post www.magnets-fasts.com/custom.html

• attiTUTUde

attiTUTUde said 7 years ago

Thanks for your hard work everyone. I feel I get so caught up in MY SHOP I often don't get out in the etsy community enough. So little time.....and so much being done behind the scenes, again Thank You! I enjoy the FP and often take a quick min before getting to work to look and shop in stores I might otherwise not. Yes repete sellers, often with GREAT work and BEAUTIFUL pictures. Multi talented people out there. What I have learned here is....take better pictures to get more exposure. :) If I don't like whats going on get more involved in the process.