Community Council Summary: February 2010

Mar 2, 2010

by RobWhite

Hello, Etsy community! In an effort to allow a greater opportunity for discussion on each individual topic that we cover, I elected to have the Community Council focus on just a pair of topics that have recently received a lot of attention in the Etsy Forums. These are the topics of home page Treasuries and Etsy’s communication with you, the Etsy community. Mary, from Etsy’s merchandising team, joined the Council for a lively talk about home page Treasuries, seeking the Council’s answer to these two questions:

Everyone present had an opportunity to share their thoughts. Some of the Council thought that, frankly, Etsy has bigger fish to fry. Still, virtually everyone agreed that any given seller should be in a home page Treasury no more than once per week with most Council members preferring stricter limits of either once per 10 days, biweekly or monthly.

The Community Council was somewhat less unified over whether or not they would be okay with items being removed from Treasuries that had already been featured in the limited time in order to have those Treasuries on the home page. Council members acknowledged the work involved to curate a collection of items around a theme, and nearly everyone agreed that a good way to potentially circumvent this issue would be to warn Treasury creators that Etsy sellers in their respective lists had been recently featured on the home page.

In what turned out to be an unfortunate irony, we didn’t have very long to discuss the topic of communication from Etsy to the community. As a result, this will be the leading topic of discussion at our March meeting. Nevertheless, the message from the Council was loud and clear: we need to find avenues beyond the Forums and the Etsy Blog to share important messages with the Etsy community. The leading suggestions for ways to do that were more notification bars at sign in (like you see when you need to leave feedback) and greater use of the Etsy News mailing list.

The format of these meetings is still a work in progress, and the community (and Council in their organizing efforts!) did such a tremendous job of providing a list of discussion topics for us in January that we didn’t need to ask for a new list this month. Because we’ll be discussing how Etsy communicates with the community again in March, I encourage you to share your thoughts on how we at Etsy can improve the way we communicate with you in the comments below. The Community Council and I will see you back here next month!

Past Community Council Posts

• shannondzikas

shannondzikas said 10 years ago

It's like you read my mind! Thanks for making great efforts to be fair and informative.

• rainpeople

rainpeople said 10 years ago

Thanks for all the thoughtful hard work that goes into making Etsy the reality of my dreams!

• helenaemmans

helenaemmans said 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping me informed. Would love to be on the front page more frequently....here's hoping. Meanwhile, thanks for the article.

• lovelygifts

lovelygifts said 10 years ago

Sounds great! Looking forward to this!

• polkadotmagpie

polkadotmagpie said 10 years ago

Interesting Rob. Thanks for the 411.

• astarteearthart

astarteearthart said 10 years ago

there's so much talent on Etsy, I think a limit of once a month on the home page is a good idea so new people can be highlighted. Thanks for bringing up these issues

• candacejean

candacejean said 10 years ago

I like the idea of every one getting a chance to be on the front page, but at the same time.. beautiful, front-page ready treasuries are made from good photos of great items and often popular seller's product. I don't know.. I do think that Etsy right now has "bigger fish to fry" as it was put above, and I vote we leave the treasuries alone for now. But, it is kind of everyone to see to it that fairness is spread out a little more. And perhaps those "very important messages" could be an automatic convo sent out to all sellers? Just a thought.

• shopKCQ

shopKCQ said 10 years ago

Once a week is is fine with me - I'm so surprised when I see repeat items pop up every day, and some even on the same day! I hope next discussion, the issue of communication with flagging resellers, prohibited items, and mistagging will be addressed, too.

• purplelemondesigns

purplelemondesigns said 10 years ago

I think this was a great topic for the council. It sounds like they really are a great cross section of the Etsy community. Thanks for bringing up the home page limits. Good call.

• KBShimmer

KBShimmer said 10 years ago

Sounds like a good discussion. I am glad that people are taking notice of repeats. There are so many that would love to be featured, this is a great step in the right direction!

• OffTheHooks

OffTheHooks said 10 years ago

i like the idea of having the important etsy info come up at the notification bar when you sign in.

• slinkymalinkicat

slinkymalinkicat said 10 years ago

I like the idea of the notification bar as you sign in. Thanks Rob.

• craftscafe

craftscafe said 10 years ago

I've wanted to create a treasury for a long time but have been unable to create one due to space laminations. I totally understand that treasuries need to be limited but would love to find a way! Is the Council discussing that as well?

• TastyVintage

TastyVintage said 10 years ago

Loves these ideas. I always look forward to how the Etsy team handles issues and have never been disappointed. Thank you for being one heck of a group of people! :)

• modmomME

modmomME said 10 years ago

Thanks for the information. It is good to see that you are working on the FP/treasury issues. As someone who has never made FP I think 1 a week is more than fair. Also, as someone who curates treasuries often I like the idea of replacing items that are ineligible for the FP. I usually check craftcult vault though in efforts to feature new or seldom featured shops.

• recycledwares

recycledwares said 10 years ago

I am sure that every business has "bigger fish to fry", but that is what makes Etsy so special....thinking of all the little things that could make the site a better place.

• MagicMarkingsArt

MagicMarkingsArt said 10 years ago

I concur with the idea of an important info message showing up on the notification bar - which is probably the easiest way to reach the community. As far as treasuries - I wish you all the best in figuring this one out - but definitely wouldn't take away a curated picture without notification to the treasury curator. I add a deep curtsy of appreciation to all members of the community council for the time and brain power you are dedicating to Etsy issues.

• lindabutterfly

lindabutterfly said 10 years ago

Good to read. Very important to restrict Home page involvement. I've been on once, and personally feel that is enough. Goodness me, there are thousands of excellent items on Etsy, items which show good photos and a clear brand. I have to say that although Etsy *say* only items with excellent photos and good branding get on the Home Page, in reality, now and then, there are poor photos; dark, badly cropped, intrusive backgrounds. Although I have pointed this out to Admin, and given them links to several shops with even better photos, my point has appeared to have been ignored. So it is encouraging to read that even though this business of Favorites has been chundering on for two years or more, finally it IS (almost) out in the open and being acted on.

• jayval

jayval said 10 years ago

Thank goodness the front page is being addressed...:)

• gypsywoman

gypsywoman said 10 years ago

This is great, a step in the right direction. I think the notification at sign in is a great idea.

• TheArtOfJoy

TheArtOfJoy said 10 years ago

Thanks so much for discussing this! Looking forward to the outcome.

• DesignedByLucinda

DesignedByLucinda said 10 years ago

Notification bar works but I also think email is a good way to reach members.

• Aquanetta

Aquanetta said 10 years ago

Very good things to think about, thank you!

• uknowuneedanother

uknowuneedanother said 10 years ago

I believe that it is very important for the morale of ALL the sellers to be able to see a diverse representation within Front Page and other key areas of the site. I can appreciate the oppinions of those who feel that there are more pressing issues. The "repeat" factor has been a long brewing contentious area within the site and if it's a reletively easy fix, why not do it and open time up for the more pressing issues. Whereas it is NOBLE in character for the administrative level to consult with the sellers on an ongoing basis and to work extraordinarily hard TO BE FAIR in alot of ways that do not exist within other venues, there is also the possibility to become bogged down within a continual debate of minutea. <-- sp? Intent needs to be balanced with definitive actions. IF every single feeling needs to be onboard, how will anything ever be accomplished? On any given day, there IS, at least one, ... a forum thread asking for more diversity. It's time to resolve this issue.

• BetaBoutique

BetaBoutique said 10 years ago

yes, that is interesting topic about limitating exposure of items that had already been featured. Otherwise there comes a feeling that you see the same items all the time and etsy seems smaller than it actually is.

• OneClayBead

OneClayBead said 10 years ago

I like the idea of a mailing list, and would like to stress than many of us do not post our opinions in the Forums, and the opinions popularly expressed there do not represent those of the entire community. How about private opinion surveys?

• SewnNatural

SewnNatural said 10 years ago

Glad to hear there are helpful discussions. Of all the pressing issues that need discussion, I'd imagine the continued presence of resellers is probably one we'd consider a higher priority. Also, LOVE the notification bar idea. Thanks!

• jkldesign

jkldesign said 10 years ago

• citydetails

citydetails said 10 years ago

Great news about the front page. I think it might be hard to keep track of the sellers that are featured. Just happy it's not me doing this job!! I personally would rather have an email than the notification sign. I don't like the feedback notification...lol.

• JDWolfePottery

JDWolfePottery said 10 years ago

I think limiting/changing treasuries for the front page is not a good idea. I say first start by just limiting sellers to a once a month feature when picked by the admin, but when included in a treasury, don't impose a limit.

• WingsDove

WingsDove said 10 years ago

Thank you for continuing your commitment to communicate to the Etsy community, including these summaries of the council meetings. I am looking forward to more words about this as we move forward.

• uknowuneedanother

uknowuneedanother said 10 years ago

:) On risk of being shot, ... as far as figuring out the communications dilemma, if the decision was mine, I would give Rob White a substantial raise, along with the assignment of figuring out how to get the improvements acoomplished. My reasons: 1. Rob already has the respect and high regard of the seller base. 2. Rob has a very clear and thorough communicating style that is well understood by probably everyone, already. 3. Rob is very calm and strikes me as being fairly bomb proof. 4. Rob already does pop into the forums on a pretty steady basis to make announcements :) From what I can observe from ny end of a computer screen, Rob White is a phenominal choice for getting this issue under control.

• dayslonggone

dayslonggone said 10 years ago

It is great to read the comments from the community regarding our discussions in the Council. Thanks for your input!

• marcadeartspress

marcadeartspress said 10 years ago

Bearing mind the absolute advantage in being featured on the front page, I think once per fortnight or month would be reasonable.

• marcadeartspress

marcadeartspress said 10 years ago

'Bearing IN mind'. Sorry.

• marcadeartspress

marcadeartspress said 10 years ago

Once a month or fortnight would be fine.

• uknowuneedanother

uknowuneedanother said 10 years ago

:) And spelling is obviously not my strong suit, GEEZ.

• EJPcreations

EJPcreations said 10 years ago

So happy these items are being discussed.

• SimpleJoysPaperie

SimpleJoysPaperie said 10 years ago

A notification bar at the time of sign in or a direct convo would be great for important Etsy communications. Due to time constraints, I sometimes go for days on end without checking in the forums. Thanks so much for continually working to make Etsy better for both sellers and buyers.

• WickedDarling

WickedDarling said 10 years ago

Thank you to the community council! Your voices and hard work are very much appreciated! I love the idea of the notification bar. I also agree with uknowuneedanother. Rob White always seems to be the voice of reason around here and deserves a raise! :)

• LastChantsStudio

LastChantsStudio said 10 years ago

It would be great to give more of the newer or first time treasury makers a chance. Maybe being limited to making one a month would let some fresh eyes show off the shops they've discovered. There are unusual and undiscovered items that deserve to be seen. I love the treasuries, but sometimes I get tired of the same old curators' picks. What about having another separate treasury called, "Expect the Unexpected" for first time curators.

• girltuesdayjewelry

girltuesdayjewelry said 10 years ago

I think a 10 day period would be fair for items from one seller showing up on the front page. I do miss the gift guides and weekend deals. I think that the notification regarding fees and/or feedback at time of sign in is good. Perhaps if the notice was there every time you signed in until the feedback was left and/or fees paid it would be better. Thanks for asking us for our opinions! I appreciate it!!!!!! E*T*S*Y R*O*C*K*S!!

• 41park

41park said 10 years ago

I like the idea of alerts similar to the feedback alerts we receive when we log in. There could also be a button on the your shop page after log in which is called "Etsy alerts" of "Admin Alerts" or something in which there is a number in bold and parentheses showing that you have a new message to read. Like when you log into email and the number of new messages is shown that way. That gives a quick visual (for all the visuall folks around here) way for one to know there is info they need;) Or, "Etsy Inbox" tab, which shows all things- feedback needed, news form admin, and sales. Thanks!

• polkadile

polkadile said 10 years ago

Oh, those are all good suggestions. The notification bar at the sign in is great! I miss the forum postings pretty often, even though I try to check them regularly. And having a chance to go on the FP once in a 10 to 14 days would be absolutely wonderful! :)

• DapperPaper

DapperPaper said 10 years ago

Yes, I agree that I do see items by the same sellers, but i guess sometimes that is due to the fact that they have good stuff! But, it's nice to have a sense of fairness in everyone getting a chance to see some hidden treasures! And have a variety of opinions on what people like!

• CandyTheArtist

CandyTheArtist said 10 years ago

As with everything people do you can't knock experience and once experienced it is ever so important to refine what one does. I feel the Etsy community council is trying to do that here and I'm glad.

• RusticGoth

RusticGoth said 10 years ago

With the Treasuries changing every hour there would be 2016 spots to fill over the course of a one week period and this doesn't include Alternate spots. Given the number of sellers we have on Etsy, it shouldn't be difficult to fill those spots without having to repeat sellers or items. Once a week is more than fair, in my opinion. The notification bar seems like a good idea as well.

• VintageRhinestones

VintageRhinestones said 10 years ago

With all the great sellers on Etsy in all three area's. I see no reason why "any" seller should be on the front page more than once a month. A little less branding and the need to have perfect pictures is not showing a large percentage of whats avail. on etsy. No one would expect you to put blurry pictures on the front page, but seriously no one is going to die if the pictures on FP are not perfect. Customers will not stop buying on Etsy if the pictures aren't perfect. What you may see as lowering your FP standards ... I see as diversification. Etsys communication with the community is sparse and all though you are working on it (hoping Rob White is part of it) .. it's going to take a month just to communicate about better communication ... hmmm, how long to implement it? I see several other fish in the basket that I feel are far more important to spend time on, like re-sellers. You ask for our help by flagging. I have done all the homework for you Etsy by flagging and sending several links from a multitude of other venues as proof.... to only see them still here months and months down the road. Seller tools is also important like one page listings ... without sellers there are no buyers. Customers should not have the option to leave feedback when they have not paid. Prioritize a little better ... and I think the Etsy community will not only be grateful but a happier place.

• gufobardo

gufobardo said 10 years ago

I understand, I learn, you read my mind?

• OhFaro

OhFaro said 10 years ago

I'm happy to see these summary posts and the feedback from the community about our meetings; it makes me feel that our efforts are worth ever second we have invested. As you might expect, Rob is absolutely fantastic to work with (as are the council members) and it was a great pleasure to participate in a meeting with MaryMary regarding the much needed focus on the front page issues.

• mischyfpaws

mischyfpaws said 10 years ago

Personnaly I don't think anything should be changed because it will bring more problems and more people upset because they feel it isn't fair this way or that way. But if there has to be a change I would vote for limiting on the front page to once every 10 days but if the product shows up in another treasury that there shouldn't be a penalty. It should be shown as part of the treasury. It should only be limited if it is an Etsy selection not a treasury selection.

• StudioZen

StudioZen said 10 years ago

I am happy that the front page issue is being addressed. However, as a treasury maker, I feel that every curation can be an artistic statement, both for those who are featured and the curator. Removing items from a treasury due to previous recent FP exposure is like editing another director's film. You wouldn't cut George Clooney from a film just because he'd been featured too many times. However, filmakers always have their eyes open for fresh, new talent. So instead of removing items from treasuries, it might be helpful if there were an 'undiscovered' or 'not yet featured' search tool that treasury makers could use when building their treasuries.

• birchbeerboutique

birchbeerboutique said 10 years ago

Great job so far Community Council! And to Etsy for following up on community-identified issues. Its not easy to please everyone...I wish you the best of luck!

• ellesbeads

ellesbeads said 10 years ago

1. Thinking in terms of your own shop, what cap would you want set in place allowing your items to show up on the home page? Once per month, maximum. Not that I've ever had that honor anyway or that I'm likely to in the near future since I don't have a camera. 2. As a Treasury maker, would you feel comfortable with items being automatically removed from a collection you made or your list becoming ineligible for the home page because it contains items that have already been featured within a defined time period? I would be fine with one of my alternates being used or with the treasury just being ineligible for the FP altogether. Seriously.

• Starrbeads

Starrbeads said 10 years ago

I think it would be a waste of energy to inforce the removal or time frame limits. Why not spend time on Making a random window of a treasury that a computer just plucks out of the listings, nothing premeditated! maybe changing every hour, something like editors picks but computer's picks!-Rachelle Starr

• StudioZen

StudioZen said 10 years ago

Post Script: After reading my post, I realized that yes, we already have the 'pounce' on undiscovered shops feature. The feature that I am envisioning works alongside a tag search and can bring up shops that have the theme that we are looking for, but have not yet been featured on the FP.

• thelightningbolts

thelightningbolts said 10 years ago

This is such a tough topic. As someone who has not once had an item on the FP I would obviously LOVE the chance to be featured. On the other hand as an avid treasury creator I wouldn't want my treasury to suffer because I couldn't put a certain person in it. I've had a treasury of mine on the FP once and it was such a proud moment for me! It wouldn't have felt like MY moment if someone had changed it around... I'm glad this issue is being addressed because as an 'undiscovered' shop I feel like it might benefit me. But I'd be worried about seeing very talented people with beautiful items and photos being penalised for being awesome. Hardly seems fair either way really... I'm sure etsy will figure this out. xx

• SatinandBirch

SatinandBirch said 10 years ago

Go Jedi Knights! I heart Etsy

• FavreBijoux

FavreBijoux said 10 years ago

I appreciate the time and effort of the community members and Rob White. Thanks.

• 2TrickPony

2TrickPony said 10 years ago

I love finding new cool things on the front page! and I would also appreciate notifications, whatever avenue admin decides to use. ♥

• Minxshop

Minxshop said 10 years ago

I think this is such a difficult subject to tackle because there are so many opinions on it, and there really are no rights or wrongs. Just opinions. Multitudes of opinions. I know a lot of people are pissed about front page bias. But at the same time, I don't think anyone wants it looking like a junk heap, which it certainly could. The idea of a computer generated FP gives me the willies. :D I do think limits on how often someone is featured would be great idea. Every other week would be fine in my opinion. And honestly, I think you guys are pretty good communicators. You put a lot of effort into trying to make us happy. I know nothing is perfect, but I feel so much more cared for here, than I have in other communities. Thanks guys!

• elemegibere

elemegibere said 10 years ago

How to become a front page Treasury, clicks, comments, how much is it necessary?

• KreatedbyKarina

KreatedbyKarina said 10 years ago

SO happy to be able to get a peek into what the Community Council discusses from time to time---looking forward to further updates down the road--thanks Rob for sharing this with all of us!

• CLineCreations

CLineCreations said 10 years ago

Thank you for the update. I agree with those who voiced that there are bigger fish for Etsy to fry, but I am also glad that the concerns of so many members are being addressed. It will be interesting to see what direction is taken. Communication is a big one, and I also like the idea of a notification upon sign-in.

• BizzieLizzie

BizzieLizzie said 10 years ago

Thanks for the update! I agree - more diversity - helps us all - we're ALL in this together - not just a few representing the rest! Yes, notifications would be awesome!

• LustreBeads

LustreBeads said 10 years ago

I do believe that the front page should be more diverse with what it features. I am definitely biased but I hardly ever see supplies featured, despite the array of beautifully photographed supplies here on etsy that would definitely deserve a front page slot. Please can you think about this also?

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat said 10 years ago

I agree with one of the comments above... we don't all have the time or inclination to state our opinions in the public fora, so maybe anonymous email questionaires would be a good idea. I'm glad the FP issue is finally being dealt with. As someone who's never got to the front page (& doesn't really expect to) I find it really annoying to see the same things over & over. Not least because they don't seem to be items that are particularly special or unique in any way, or even necessarily exceptionally good photos! I also think there's too much emphasis on the listing photos... you ALSO get an item description which should count for just as much. Most of us here are NOT photographers, we're artists in other ways. Trying to make the entire site look like an upmarket, overpriced, exclusive boutique is offputting to a lot of buyers who automatically assume they won't be able to afford anything that's advertised/listed with professional photos/models/lighting. Personally, I find the arty photos really annoying when all I really want to see is a clear picture of the item I might buy!

• nowonder

nowonder said 10 years ago

Thank you for letting us know! These are issues that we keep bringing it up. Besides making these rules there's also the question of how to inforce them.

• Fliteline

Fliteline said 10 years ago

I think it is more important for front page(and Etsy pick) items to be in compliance with the TOUs. I stopped looking at the front page not because of repetition, but because it was so disheartening to see so many (blatantly)mis-tagged items. I would miss any notifications at sign in; with Firefox I am always signed in.

• craftpile

craftpile said 10 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• MyGrandpasPen

MyGrandpasPen said 10 years ago

Thank you to etsy for taking the time to ask and the community council for taking the time to listen :) Your work is appreciated!!

• fosterbk

fosterbk said 10 years ago

I so appreciate everything you're doing to improve this already wonderful venue for craftsellers. Very pleased with the topics and the progress being reported.

• MadeByTheMargerums

MadeByTheMargerums said 10 years ago

Thanks so much for all you do! I would prefer that any really important communications from Etsy come via direct convo or email. I think most of us probably check our shops & messages throughout the day, but we're all juggling a lot and it could be awhile inbetween forum forays! Also, I appreciate the attempt at front-page fairness. There are so many artists out there that deserve (and would beg for) front page exposure!

• Chameleonite

Chameleonite said 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us informed. I think once a week or every two weeks is a good limit on the number of times someone can feature on the front page. Once a month seems a bit too limited. Personally I wouldn't like it if a carefully curated treasury had items removed, so a warning note as you suggest would be a good solution. Maybe email notification of updates would be a good idea? I usually stay signed in all day so wouldn't see the top bar until the following day, but if I'm aware of news being posted there I suppose I could occasionally log out and back in again to see if there are any messages.

• dualchocolate

dualchocolate said 10 years ago

WE take pride in our handmade projects, the time and effort require when listing onto Etsy, for many treasury enthusiasts the "list curated by members" soon to be known as the former treasury list, falls in the same category of handmade and hand pick, time and effort, the so appreciated human touch. Treasury lists take time and good taste to be featured, and of course a great deal of luck. How awesome "member curated" also means someone else likes your work. Member curated, how cool a community so large and people still have a say. Now implementing a random system, not having treasuries, or regulating/ limiting your items not to be in featured lists, then not so awesome, not so member-involve community. how to feel proud when a computer generated the great pictures, the picture perfect item, there goes the handmade experience, so many loved Etsy for. We need to be careful and thoughtful with the changes we want to believe will be fair for all.

• evihan

evihan said 10 years ago

I hope ESTY would act more fair...I do not not feel well too see the same people's shop or treasuries as FP...we are all in the same arena so if our products-shops are good enough, and if we are using Twitter, facebook or other marketing materials to advertise our etsy shop, we need to get the same chance as other popular etsy shops... thanx for your understanding...hope it changes as soon as possible....

• menzocollection

menzocollection said 10 years ago

I'm a big fan of irony. : ) Thanks to everyone involved in this effort!! I really like it that the topic discussions are getting down to the nitty-gritty details of what and how to improve Etsy.

• lifeofcolors

lifeofcolors said 10 years ago

thanks for the update.

• artyecological

artyecological said 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us informed. I would like to see a limit but on how many times in a week you can be featured on the FP. To keep it fair for all.

• FabricFascination

FabricFascination said 10 years ago

Interesting and encouraging that Etsy sellers are being involved in the decision making process. Also that Etsy is listening to such things as the ongoing dissatisfaction members have with the way the Front Page is used.

• iomiss

iomiss said 10 years ago

I'm totally agree with Dualchocolate. I think once per a month would be good for treasuries of admin, however I think this change in treasuries by other members may be a mistake.

• laurelsbylaurie

laurelsbylaurie said 10 years ago

Rob seems like a great person to be helping in this area. And I just hope there is someone on the community council that will speak for those of us who can't stand to look at the FP anymore...cause it's just off the charts weird. It used to be fun and nice with a little weird thrown in making it tolerable. With the Gift Guides gone if I was a first time buyer I don't think I'd want to shop here. I know it sounds harsh but I have talked to a lot of customers and friends who feel the same way. Sad but true. I have seen so many beautiful treasuries...I've made many myself, been in many too...that never, ever, ever, make it to the FP. So discouraging. I'm holding out hope for the new Community Council. I have so much money invested in my business and I can't quit now. I just stay to myself and my customers and friends and keep on trying to stay positive.

• whimsicals

whimsicals said 10 years ago

thanks so much for addressing this issue and trying to make the members of this gigantic community happy. It is a huge task and that our council and Rob are tackling it is remarkable. My vote is feature a seller once a month, and speaking of vote - we could have one.??

• BotanicalBead

BotanicalBead said 10 years ago

Thanks for the info and update. Looking forward to more updates in the future.

• idlehandsdesigns

idlehandsdesigns said 10 years ago

Thanks for the update ::)

• samsstuff

samsstuff said 10 years ago

This is an interesting question. It seems as though, with the sheer number of items listed at any given time, that it would be possible to have enough items to choose from that nothing would need to be listed more than once a week. I know that there is the issue of photography, but even so, there should not be a need to list something more often than once a week. On rare occasion, I have even seen items on the front page with less than perfect photos, items that sell, in shops that are doing well, so photography is only one aspect in this debate & maybe it shouldn't be the most important. I say this as someone who loves the treasuries, hearts many items & even recommends treasury items from time to time, but there are times I'd like to see more diversity. Just some opinions, thanks for sharing this debate & letting us know that this topic is being discussed. I look forward to hearing more.

• kathiroussel

kathiroussel said 10 years ago

great ideas going around. personally i agree that sellers should be happy with a once a week FP feature if possible or even every ten days -- in order to give everyone a chance to shine. my only hope is that admin please make sure the photos and quality of work featured meet a standard of care or excellence that is also of interest to a wider audience--ie..the general public visiting the site for the first time! as for informing curators of already featured sellers -- great idea! that way they can replace an item with another and still have a shot at the FP, with time to adjust there hard work! a note to those who haven't been featured on the FP== get out there and curate some treasuries, get to know other members, take the same time out to make sure your work looks its best, as well as your photos. it's a process-- but you've got to make the effort if you want to have something happen.. so great to see all this healthy dialogue!

• kathiroussel

kathiroussel said 10 years ago

hate typos ..."their" hard work... great to see that you're actively involved rob-- and the council.

• ReclaimedObjects

ReclaimedObjects said 10 years ago

fairly new to Etsy I dont think i've ever been featured just joined last August.excited about being possibly featured! then maybe I might get some sales

• cokiepopaper

cokiepopaper said 10 years ago

So glad that the FP issues was discussed. Spread the FP love around :-) So many sellers with good photos want that opportunity too. :-)

• IlluminatedPerfume

IlluminatedPerfume said 10 years ago

As a visually attune individual I would prefer the FP to be beautiful every single time. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then at the very least I'd like to see FP treasuries that have some semblance of color, composition and good photos. I sure would be grateful for at least a once a month slot on the FP!

• hartleystudio

hartleystudio said 10 years ago

I am going to be in the minority here but I think that editing a treasury because an item has been on the FP wouldn't be a big deal to me. C'mon, it's a treasury on Etsy, not the Whitney Biennial. You get 4 alternates, right? What are the odds that YOUR treasury gets picked and 5 of the items have been on the front page in the last two weeks? Minuscule. If you *happen* to run through all four of your alternates and Etsy has to pick something, I trust them to do an excellent job! I'm more concerned about blatant resellers being on the front page, what about that? It happened just the other day and it happens often. I think that is a much more pressing issue than how often our shops can be featured, it affects all of us when TOU abuse is front and center!

• BeachHouseLiving

BeachHouseLiving said 10 years ago

As someone who has yet to find an opening to make a treasury I was so happy to have been part of one last week. A seller featured more then once a month on the front page sometimes seems that Etsy itself is promoting those sellers rather then delve deeper into the thousands of other shops. Sellers without the "perfect photo" should be featured. Sure good photos are important yet at the same time talent is more so. It is just as easy to convo a seller and ask questions or for more photos. Other fish in the basket: Some sellers may only have a dozen items but are lost in the shuffle...maybe overall limits of how many items (200-250) a shop an be offer for sale isn't a bad thing. Feedback if a client has not paid leaving feedback should be disabled as the seller has no way to respond

• SolDelSur

SolDelSur said 10 years ago

I think important communication should be sent via email or direct convo as someone suggested. I only sign in about once a week or less (I'm always signed in), so there are less chances of being informed of anything on the top bar.

• GreenMamba

GreenMamba said 10 years ago

Communication on Etsy has been inadequate and spotty for years. Now, according to Etsy admin mickeynice, the Etsy News e-mails have been (temporarily?) discontinued. They haven't been sent out since last November. So "greater use" of that option isn't even possible at this time. "Etsy News has been on a bit of a hiatus. We're working on either a different format for the email, or a different way of delivering news. In the interim, we added a section to Etsy Success with our latest news stories." http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6410028&page=2#post-46720589 Not only was there was no official notification to that effect, but it would never occur to folks who just want the news that they would have to sign up for Etsy Success. The option to sign up for Etsy News e-mails should be removed, or greyed out, until it is actually available again. This sort of improper half-way handling of information, and leaving of loose ends, is chronic Etsy behavior. There really needs to be a reliable communications manager on staff to oversee and coordinate all news/information outlets.

• go2girl

go2girl said 10 years ago

As far as variety on Front Page and Treasury use, it makes sense to allow more an opportunity to be featured. There are some great treasury curators out there and they have favorites, I know I do so if a suitable alternate can be found and given a chance at exposure why not, sounds great. I would love a notification bar. However, some would likely not so an option of "allow notifications" would be good.

• GreenMamba

GreenMamba said 10 years ago

You know, one of the most frustrating things about the communication issue is the fact that it is forever being discussed, but never actually improved. ALL of the possible methods - e-mail, convo, notifications upon log-on, the Announcement Forum Section, and more - have been suggested many times before (and even been tried at least once or twice). But there is zero consistency. Absolutely zero. Why continue to discuss when it is ultimately up to Etsy to get the word out? Why not just do whatever is necessary to inform the membership? The convo system, for instance, is completely under-utilized. So. Very. Frustrating. (And I second the suggestion of putting RobW in charge of the Etsy Communication Department. But then he'd have to pass the forum manager position on to someone else. We need a RobW clone, or several . . .)

• FoundDays

FoundDays said 10 years ago

Thank you Rob, for posting the photo of my and Shannon McNeill's artwork on this post!

• vilte

vilte said 10 years ago

Communicating via notifications, convos and Etsy News e-mails are the best options, I think. As for the FP. I don't think that there is a way that would be called 100% fair if you are looking for fairness. So ok, you would make a schedule for 1 shop to be featured on FP 1 time a week. But then I am sure there will be people shouting out about unfairness of the time being featured on FP, because there's a difference if you are featured on FP at 5 am or 5 pm. So you can never be fair to everyone. Yes, there are hundreds of undiscovered shops with professional and original products and more or less good photos that do not get featured. But.. I don't think that they are the ones that shout out loudest... So I think that there should be at least minimal requirements for the aesthetics of photos of the products! it's not that hard! the question is - do you even want to try to be better or just complain? Personally, I like it that joining Etsy made me improve my photography skills and look for more creative ways to present my items.. So I think it would be a very bad step for Etsy to guarrantee a feature on FP without demanding any effort from the sellers at all... It's really a pitty... People should be motivated for geting better in everything they do! To say that I only make good things, I am an artist and that's it is the easiest way... But it's a very narrow point of view. I am for diversity on FP, yes, more new sellers, more variaty, but please - aesthetical variety! p.s. totally ignoring the old favorites is also not an option :) just about equal exposure for everyone who is making effort for Etsy to look PROFESSIONAL in general for all buyers!

• craftaria

craftaria said 10 years ago

Beyond the fact that Etsy is a great community it is at the same time a way of sellers doing business and showing their work. If sellers repeatedly appear on treasuries/front page is because they have better photos and/or items. That said, talent must be rewarded! I was only once on front page and the only thing I could do is work harder and present better items and photos. That's life! It's like any other show window store, only the better items are featured. Great job Etsy is doing. Thank you!

• steinschmuckdesign

steinschmuckdesign said 10 years ago

About the communication, I can not say so much, guess in such a huge community That Etsy is, communication is really a difficult Theme to solve. I am a passion Treasury maker! Sometimes I spend hours to make a Treasury, yes houres! Some Treasury I see are like a Piece of Art for me. So if now you would just take out some Items of a Treasury, just because they would already have there FP feature for this Week or Month, that would ruin the hole Treasury Work. I totally agree with Vilte about the Fairness. How can we really find a fairness then in the FP feature, if one is featured at 5am or at 5pm..... When I first came to the Etsy side, do you know what kept me here? It was the aesthetic side of the FP, that catch my Eye and I started to surf on Etsy. Please do not loose that aesthetic! Thank you very much for all your Work your doing here and try Etsy to be the Best Place to be!!!!

• terrabellaaccents

terrabellaaccents said 10 years ago

With so many great shops out there I think there should be ample opportunities for all. Once a week on the front page = too much exposure :)

• FeralGlass

FeralGlass said 10 years ago

I have to disagree with Rob's summary of the meeting. I was there and the council vote about how often any one shop or item should appear on the FP was ONCE A MONTH. The admin representatives, Rob and Mary, kept trying to push the once a week limit. They kept coming back to it over and over again. The council members had to specifically request that the "once a month" limit be voted on. We voted and once a month got more votes than once a week.

• cynmb

cynmb said 10 years ago

Rob, thanks for this update. As a buyer only and maker of eight hundred treasuries up to now, I have always asked for more diversity to be shown on the FP. There is so much unexposed talent on here, please show it off for the good of this site. No matter how talented a seller is, or how good the pics, seller X should, IMHO, not appear on the FP more than once a month.

• cynmb

cynmb said 10 years ago

Feralglass - once a week is just too often. My treasuries consist mainly of sellers who have never or seldom made it to FP - and they are beautiful because (1) they are filled with lovely items and (2) eight hundred treasuries later, I've gotten to be good at putting together lists (even if I say so myself). I cannot understand the efforts to promote a very small select pool of talented sellers when there's a vast ocean of talent to select from.

• mysillybluehippo

mysillybluehippo said 10 years ago

Wow, So many great responces and so many great ideas. I will say that not everyone is a photographer. Sometimes a great product only has a so so picture. I know it's taken me months of trial and error to even come up with some decent photos. It would be nice if every once in a while a tresury would be picked for the FP by product instead of just photography. I do want to say also, that it is so inspiring to be a part of a community that has a say in decisions that are made. When you have a voice it validates all of the hard work that we do. Thanks to Esty for opening discussions, and asking for input.

• PixieDustFineries

PixieDustFineries said 10 years ago

Thanks for the update Rob. I like the idea of every one getting a chance to be on the front page. I have been with Etsy for one year and have never made it to the FP. On another subject what about tools for the Sellers ie...We need a way to batch edit our prices on our listings. I have 136 listings and it takes hours to change them for a SALE. Can you please make this a priority? Secondly, it would be nice to be able to change an item in "your etsy" on page "6" and you are returned to page "6", not page "1" every time. I would be happy to discuss these things with you, you can find me at http://pixiedustfineries.etsy.com

• ChristianMarie

ChristianMarie said 10 years ago

I agree that Etsy has bigger fish to fry than this. Being on the front page may bring me traffic, but that means nothing if the checkout process is so awkward that they give up and leave before buying anything.

• CavemanPottery

CavemanPottery said 10 years ago

I agree that it would be nice to see a larger variety represented on the FP, that it helps to let the world see how large Etsy really is. On communication, seems like some don't always get the notices when you sign in, if their systems stay signed in, I personally find the notice for feedback annoying more than anything. I think convos would be better or notices like "email" somewhere within the sight, that we could go to to read at our own pace, with a convo notice to go look at new mail. Thanks for trying to address all the sticky little details. Don't give up, keep on working at it!

• GreenMamba

GreenMamba said 10 years ago

Thanks for setting the record straight about the FP vote, FeralGlass. Feral, do you know if any of the CC members are aware that the Etsy News e-mails have been discontinued? RobW, were you aware at the time of the meeting? I don't know why it was suggested as a continued way to keep users informed, because it is simply not being used at all now. It's doubly ironic that the tool used to notify members of real news was put on hold without notifying the members. There has been no official announcement, and the Etsy News e-mail is *still* an option on the Etsy newsletter sign-up page. Communication is a mess.

• enchantedbeas

enchantedbeas said 10 years ago

Great topic, thank you for addressing it. In my opinion 10 day period would be fair for items from one seller to show up on the front page. Many other talented sellers would have more chances to get there as well.

• opendoorstudio

opendoorstudio said 10 years ago

I love the idea of the information bar... I have a suggestion for the treasury's ...maybe add 4 more alternate spots incase some of those in a treasury are on the front page and that way it will be in keeping with the theme intended by the curator. just a thought

• AlliumDesign

AlliumDesign said 10 years ago

Time and time again, I have been discouraged as a seller and bored as a buyer when I see the same seller and sometimes the same item featured over and over again, several days even weeks in a row on the FP. Honestly, YES-those sellers sell well, have great products, and fabulous photographs...but I can't help but wonder if they are not featured because it is so much easier to go to the "Old" favorites instead of trying to find "New" favorites. That being said, I have recently noticed a lot of fresh faces on the FP. I applaud those responsible for the effort!! It's such a great confidence booster for the sellers and, in the long run, by featuring new/fresh/undiscovered talent, will increase revenue for Etsy, as well.

• betsybensen

betsybensen said 10 years ago

I like the idea of treasury makers being able to know if a seller in their treasury is not eligible for FP because they have recently been featured. I'm not sure how that would happen and at what point in the treasury building process it would occur, but i'm sure the computer wizzes out there can do it! I just really want to see well curated treasuries with beautiful images on the FP welcoming buyers into the world of etsy. That benifits all sellers. It's not hard to take good, interesting photos and if we all know that's what it takes to get into treasuries we'll work hard to get our photos right.

• SimplyInvitingCards

SimplyInvitingCards said 10 years ago

I like the notification idea, but I'd favor a Notification area with a link grouped with Public profile, purchases, etc., where alerts for things like treasury inclusions, FP features, sales, new convos or anything Etsy with the option to be notified about certain topics. Regarding FP features, I'd favor a 2-3 week waiting period.

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat said 10 years ago

Personally, I think once a month is more than often enough for any individual seller to be featured on the FP prime (free) advertising slot of a marketplace as huge as Etsy. I also think that treasury makers should try to make treasuries based on the items that are for sale rather than just collect a variety of pretty pictures. Maybe there could be a once a month slot for treasuries made up only of items from sellers that are undiscovered, new, or never-before-frontpaged... that way there might be at least some chance for the vast majority of us to have some of the exposure that seems limited to a few highly privileged sellers. The reason Etsy exists is to enable artists & crafters to be able to actually sell the work they produce... it's the items that are important, not the photos or even how poetic the descriptions are. I believe most buyers are rational, literate human beings who base their decision on whether to buy or not to buy on the solid information they have about the item in question... you may be lured into a shop by the window display, but if you find trashy, overpriced items inside you're still not going to buy anything! We should keep the focus on the items for sale, not on the style of presentation. Then maybe Etsy would be the equivalent of a farmers' market selling potatoes with the mud still on them, instead of a slick supermarket selling over-hyped, clinically clean, tasteless rubbish. I realise this sounds like sour grapes, but Etsy really isn't as much of a level playing field for sellers as it used to be... with more & more emphasis on "marketing" it's becoming as commercialised as any high street, which takes away a lot of the hand-made feel.

• njdesigns1

njdesigns1 said 10 years ago

Thanks for communicating the topics discussed! I think you guys are on the right road!!!

• seamsclassic

seamsclassic said 10 years ago

Good subject topics, Etsy's concern over all the little details are what makes Etsy sellers feel supported and to be so successful in the process. I do feel that I see some of the same sellers on the Front Page quite a bit, however the Treasuries are all so beautiful, and take much talent to create. I just think maybe an overall message to the community asking to broaden their Treasury searches and always try to find some new undiscovered talent to add into the mix.

• LoveNYarn

LoveNYarn said 10 years ago

I've never been on a front page that I know of, that sure would be special. If it meant that no one person could be on more than once a week, or once a month, to let some of us smaller shops in, it would be a nice change, I think.

• foxpots

foxpots said 10 years ago

I would be happy with a cap of once a month for items from any individual seller to appear on the FP, given the large number of sellers and items listed on Etsy. Having said that, I don't know how you could effectively implement that kind of control while user curated treasuries are being pulled to the FP. I don't like the idea of Admin replacing items in a user curated treasury, although if the user's alternates can be used, that's probably OK.

• uknowuneedanother

uknowuneedanother said 10 years ago

So, if our bills get sent out monthly, and I'm guessing that it's pretty safe to say that EVERYONE get's their bill, I'm not quite understanding WHY pertinant information CAN'T make it out the door. Someone HAS to step up to the plate and be willing to be a leader and make some decisions, AND implement them. The same ole, same ole has been discussed TO DEATH, since I've been a member. In April it will be 2 years. I just can't find ANY justification as to why things have not already been done. This aspect of the site is pure rediculousness. Hire an experianced General manager with experiance in the real world, not just the rarified air of cyber-space. Management is management. The needed skills are transferable. Y'all need to pick up the pace and stop waiting for perfect. Stop making excuses, and get real.

• BetaBoutique

BetaBoutique said 10 years ago

also, about improvements etsy should reconsider - it would be much community strengthening if etsy would check buyers trustfulness. Yes, buyers. It is obvious that etsy needs to triple check sellers, but you should reconsider checking buyers more too (somehow without frightening away new ones) It happens every second day that I need to cancel a sale due to non-payment and fake buyers. I had situations when someone purchases almost 50 items at once and never pays. Then I need to renew and cancel a sale for every single item. Not only it is time consuming but every item I relist looses its hearts it had before. It is weird but there are some people who just want to sabotage others business. I perfectly understand that it is much more important to be sure of sellers trustfulness (and I know what I am saying as I had purchased from fraud sellers here as well - once from someone who sells "made in China" items and says they are handmade and other from whom I had never received my package or any reaction to my emails), but, anyways, it would be good to do something about fraud buyers as well. (I deeply apologize for my English, I am from Europe, non English speaking country and are not used to write such a long text in foreign language :) . I also apologize if this is totally off-topic)

• Retro58

Retro58 said 10 years ago

I am happy to see that the front page is being addressed. Thank you for keeping me informed. I would be happy to be featured on the front page once a week, twice a week or even once an month!!

• JHenryDesigns

JHenryDesigns said 10 years ago

Thank you for your commitment around Etsy's communication. I agree with most who have posted here about the community's more pressing issues of resellers and prohibited items muddying up Etsy. Whether or not the Treasury shows repeated items/sellers, to me, is so much less an issue compared to doing all we can to maintain and enforce the integrity of Etsy's fundamental selling policies. If it isn't, it is doomed to one day become Ebay. And then, repeat featured items and sellers will be an issue that is LONG forgotten about.

• threepeats

threepeats said 10 years ago

Great topic to address. As a treasury maker I would personally like to still be featured on the FP even if it means removing some of my chosen items. I don't know if you have time but if my treasury did not include 12 items from sellers who have not appeared on the FP, it would be nice to be given the opportunity to replace them so that it does.

• StudioCherie

StudioCherie said 10 years ago

I see the notification bar when I log in and I ignore it. I like the idea of a convo better. Can you send important info to everyone via convo? Thanks for making Etsy better and better

• ingermaaike

ingermaaike said 10 years ago

I can see why many people are so heated about the FP, it is a good way to gain exposure and perchance even sales. Right away or in future. But the time and energy I see invested in it is disproportionate. There are issues that far outweigh how often or if at all people are featured. People leaving your shop with a product but not paying...so you have to relist,cancel,be dissappointed. It cots time and time is money, I am never reembursed for that lost time.. Being stuck with a PayPal button while living in Europe. Paypal is very expensive for us non Americans. And of course there is a button other but I can assure you as long as it is not a one click payment button people will not use it. Etsy is a place where things need to get sold or there will be no revenue, the fp needs to look good. So not everyone lands on it and rightly so. If you can not see what it is that is being sold then that is not good advertising... I am a little tired of things that are screamed about loudest getting the most attention, leaders are there to figure out priorities, that is what counts. Go figure out what needs most attention to keep this site the top of the line, and a step ahead of fast marching on competition.

• TwistedRiverClay

TwistedRiverClay said 10 years ago

I think a limit of once per month on the front page is fair. This will give more shops the opportunity to be on the front page. I would not mind if Etsy removed some photos because they had already been on the front page. It would give others (who are not part of a team) a chance to get on the front page even if they are not part of a large team that creates many treasuries every cycle in the hope of getting more of its members on the FP more often.

• TwistedRiverClay

TwistedRiverClay said 10 years ago

I think being on the front page once a month would allow more shops to get some exposure. I have not problem with Esty replacing an item that has already been on the front page. Lets give as many shops as possible a chance to show their stuff.

• Donauluft

Donauluft said 10 years ago

I just like to suggest one: it would be great to make all treasuries more available for watching. The direkt link now is good, but I think the lists need to long to appear . I have an new I mac and in general my internet is a fast one , but to watch a few treasuries takes pretty long. Maybe It would be a good idea to have more advertising on the front page about all the beautiful, amazing, great....treasuries , and the chance seller could faster check out the lists. Then the work of so many creative treasury maker could have more effect, and it would not be the only important thing to get to the FP.... what do you mean?..

• taintbosh

taintbosh said 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us updated. I, like most other Etsians, await the day when we might grace the cover. I see it as kind of an honor. It is always nice to try new things (I think that is Etsy's moto) but we can always go back as well...

• peacebird

peacebird said 10 years ago

I'd like something of mine to land on the front page just once...perchance to dream in over 2 years of diligent effort...blink, blink

• pollyputsthekettleon

pollyputsthekettleon said 10 years ago

Hey, great! I see the potential treasuries have for sellers (and buyers!) but man, I am so over reading people bitching about not being in them or not making it to front page. I like the idea of "rules". people love rules, thrive on them, maybe peeps will stop complaining now? No? yeah, probably not. Anyway, thanks Rob.

• PrairieGarden

PrairieGarden said 10 years ago

Regarding the Treausries and a shop that has recently been on the front page....I say, if you're interested :-), is bump the one store that was on the front page. Treaury curator's don't always know what was on the front page recently. If it's great treasury, good for the front page, it would be a shame to pass up on the entire treasury because of store.

• Decadence2artbar

Decadence2artbar said 10 years ago

was your meeting 5 minutes long? you didnt even really answer one of the questions. Has this policy of once a week in action now, I ask because today alone, I saw the same item on twice and I was only on Etsy twice. good job.

• annetteclara

annetteclara said 10 years ago

i am new at this game.i hqqave parkinson and nstead of sitting arounde and cr0ying i decided to create something useful

• CharliesApt

CharliesApt said 10 years ago

The "repeating front page sellers" is a good discussion topic. I have thought about this before. At first I thought it seemed unfair that certain sellers got a lot of repeat front page time--but then I thought, well, if it were me would I be complaining? Probably not. I think it's worth a few thoughts--but no need to go crazy about it, right? I think it's most important that the front page looks good--so that we keep the buyers coming.

• StacyBayless

StacyBayless said 10 years ago

• Donauluft

Donauluft said 10 years ago

another thing I like to suggest is: To make it fairer could be not to limit the reappearance of items, sellers to get on the front page, but the time one treasury is in the lists . Maybe 4 days are useful. Then more treasury maker have the chance to appear on FP. I make every Treasury I can get and I love it although it is rather time consuming! And let´s face it , When I create lists, the chance to be featured in lists is bigger. I think everyone should take the chance to create lists. It´s a form of advertising which is for free, and to check out the rules is really simple. Don´t change that beautiful, creative FP system, it is one of the reasons people start to surf on etsy! I agree with vilte and steinschmuckdesign, one shop one week or so never can be handled fair!

• SouthernBelleOOAK

SouthernBelleOOAK said 10 years ago

Well said StacyBayless: "I too agree that the front page needs to look good for prospective buyers. BUT, that said... how many listings are there on Etsy at any given time? You really mean to tell me that we can't find unique items and sellers to feature? I do sincerely appreciate all the work and thought that is going into this. I hope one day I can be featured on the front page and actually have to worry about getting featured too often! :)" I totally agree. With so many listings and so many talented people, please pass the love around and limit it to once a month for repeats. I, too, appreciate all the work and thought that is going into this and I especially appreciate that you are considering the community and their opinions. Thanks so much!

• Sumikoshop

Sumikoshop said 10 years ago

I believe that teams will be penalized Each team works hard to promote their friends and team members I would be sad if my treasury was changed, I love to do treasury and lose much time in finding photos that go well together, I add people I know, but also new shop that I discovered recently, I think Etsy could find a different solution. Instead of putting a limit to the shop who work hard, to be able to be featured, Etsy can stimulate all of us, or deal personally, to make treasury with new shop never went to the home page. I believe that all seeing beautiful pictures on the home page are encouraged to improve, this happened to me ... my photos were not suited to the home page and then I have done everything possible to improve This is a community and we all help each other, so I think that being part of this already makes me feel better.

• immortallongings

immortallongings said 10 years ago

Automatic shipping email notification goes the buyer when we mark an item "Shipped." Please, Etsy? It would be really great for buyers to have that information, and so convenient for sellers! Thanks!

• LavenderField

LavenderField said 10 years ago

I knew that you were listening!

• Northernlodge

Northernlodge said 10 years ago

from the perspective of a Scientist...looking at FP from a strictly statistical perspective. Obviously, the greater frequency with with an etsy seller or a specific piece of merchandise appears on FP, the more exposure their store receives. This translates into greater potential for sales. Yes, the seller still has to have great items, great pics, and continually work to provide new things...but think of it this way...If I went into a BIG giant store every day for a month, and was directed by the greeter to go down aisle 2 first, wouldn't I be more likely to purchase something from aisle 2??? Statistics say yes. Human nature also says yes. On etsy, when some sellers, or some merchandise appears repeatedly on FP those viewing etsy thru that FP portal are being biased to select specific sellers and merchandise. The inflation of sales for these shops then creates the illusion that this shop is a "superior seller and that in turn contributes to their increasing popularity and sales. Be honest, human nature directs us to "go with winners". Additionally, these same sellers are "selected" and featured in gift guides, newsletters, and as featured sellers...and the circle of exposure widens. People creating treasuries are often "biased" to include this same group of individuals in their treasuries because of the inflated potential that their treasury will appear on FP. Hence the cycle continues. I found it QUITE ironic that one suggestion was to "pick new people" for treasuries when this is not the standard mode of "FP selection" employed by etsy admin. If etsy FP featured a larger number of sellers on FP, and exhibited the wider range of sellers and merchandise, a wider range of customers might result..... I think it would be interesting to do a comparison of stats..say take an unknown shop, promote it thru FP, feature the seller in all the aforementioned ways and then analyze the results...OK-I told you I was a geeky scientist-lol As far as the "bigger fish to fry" comment-if your sellers are NOT happy, then their committment to etsy will be influenced, and the potential for overall etsy success will be influenced. PS...read the book Outliers for some insight into this "phenomenon" of biased promotion/selection..extremely interesting

• ShebboDesign

ShebboDesign said 10 years ago

Well, Etsy is community based huge platform, if you would like to be featured on FP- if you wanna be on the stage under the spots, you must spent a lot of time in ETSY, you should make a lot of treasuries, you should expand your community network, you should be an excellent communicator a perfect photographer and so on and on..I spend a lot of time and effort in ETSY.. I am a treasury addictor, I sent hours and hours to be able to catch a T and prepare beautiful PS's.. None of the treasury list that I curated has not been featured on FP so far, I never complain about that- I never blame to Etsy,I still keep on making my treasuires happily! May be some sellers get angry to me, but if I frankley say some sellers just complains without making effort for the activities as I wrote above..Please make an effort to make Treasuries,to be more interactive.. Btw, I am totally agree with VILTE and STEINSCHMUCKDESIGN ....

• ShebboDesign

ShebboDesign said 10 years ago

I mean I spent a lot of hours :)

• ShebboDesign

ShebboDesign said 10 years ago

Well, If I write it would be a repetition; So I can shortly say that I am totally agree with SUMIKOSHOP; And also Vilte, steinschmuckdesign and ingermaaike..!

• Donauluft

Donauluft said 10 years ago

Yes, ShebboDesign, that is exactly what I mean too! If you want to be included in Treasuries, I think you have to make treasuries! It´s really time consuming and if you are featured on FP after spending hours and hours to make treasuries you really deserve it! To northernlodge: It is not garanteed to have more sales if you are featured on the front page often, I know this, I was featured several times and I have many shop hearts but I don´t sell much.

• artjeweldesigns

artjeweldesigns said 10 years ago

It's a great idea to have important Etsy info posted at sign in. Universal notification...this is a busy site and it's easy to miss things.

• PeanutsCreations

PeanutsCreations said 10 years ago

Once a month featured on FP is more than enough. With the enormous amount of items listed every day here, there is NO REASON to repeat a seller more than that. In regards to customers not paying, isn't there a way to require payment at the time of checkout?

• FarmFreshArt

FarmFreshArt said 10 years ago

Thanks.

• oldworldprimitives

oldworldprimitives said 10 years ago

I am happy to read about what the Council has been up to... thank you for updating us. And I would really like to have important Etsy announcements pop up at the top of my screen when I sign in. E-mails are good too.

• gochacreative

gochacreative said 10 years ago

Do you think it would be useful to provide more categories, as etsy is so huge. Or feature new shops, or related types of new shops, as an easier way to search. For instance 'handmade' category could be split into two more. I just feel a bit lost!

• bysweetmom

bysweetmom said 10 years ago

I love making treasuries, I spent my hours to make a treasury sometimes I woke up at the night time to catch it. None of my treasury list featured on FP till this day but I don’t care this. I love doing treasuries and I will continue to doing with insistence. I featured my team friends and also shop whom I don’t recognize in my treasuries . I meet many new friends by making treasuries. Changement in my treasury make me unhappy why do I have to spend so much effort and time if someone will change it. In my understanding changing treasuries won’t bring fairness. Thanks for hard work...

• DJandPvintage

DJandPvintage said 10 years ago

To be featured once, let alone once a month would make many of us happy. And to not see a store featured four times in eight days too!

• Relydesign

Relydesign said 10 years ago

usually i spent a lot of hours to find the perfect creations for my treasury... and just one time my treasury reached the FP...but I think it's a pity if you spend a lot of time and then they change your choices... maybe just one or two can be fine but if it's more..the result won't be my treasury ! I think also that Etsy it's really big and for a lot of sellers it's really hard to reach the Fp even if they made good stuff. thanks to the chance to say our point of view ;)

• Sumikoshop

Sumikoshop said 10 years ago

I find that everything said Northernlodge is correct, is absolutely right! In fact I think it is fair exhibit FP in a greater number of different things and different sellers, it's nice to see how many artists are all over Etsy, never known but this can not be done without having to remove items from the treasury?

• mkdesigner

mkdesigner said 10 years ago

I'm with GreenMamba -- the communication problems really need to be addressed first. The NEWS emails were great and I would love to have that back again. The notification bar upon login is fine, I guess. Better than no communication at all. Regarding FP, well if I read it right, what goes on there depends on what is put into a specific treasury. Okay, I can see where there could be 'inappropriate' items in a treasury so they would skip over that treasury and find another to put on the front page. Well, why not have GLIMPSES of a treasury, like one row? They could put up three items from 4 different treasuries on the FP, with links to that treasury. That way, they won't need to skip over a treasury because of some of the items, they could pick & choose. Just a thought ... ~Marge in NV~

• DestinysTreasures

DestinysTreasures said 10 years ago

Hi, I think everyone should be on the front page at least once a month. I have never been on the front page. I always see the same items and sellers on the front page more than once a month. I am glad this is being addressed. Thank you:)

• SewPrettyprincess

SewPrettyprincess said 10 years ago

I agree with items and shops only being featured once a month. I like to see a variety of items on the front page and not the same ones several times in a month. If we always have the same thing then we will never have anything new to show for Etsy. I agree with some of the comments that "perfect" Pictures are not necessarily needed. Popular Etsy shops get more sales so maybe what is needed is to feature some of the smaller shops and encourage more exploration on Etsy. I like the idea of an automatic convo. I tend to ignore the brackets when I sign in. Thanks for the thought!

• ezliving

ezliving said 10 years ago

Great job community Council!I appreciate all your hard work!Thank you! Ezliving.

• earthnskystudio

earthnskystudio said 10 years ago

Thank you for your hard work and hope that smaller sellers will be included on the front page sometimes too ^_^

• skoshisbits

skoshisbits said 10 years ago

Here is a thought: why not break the treasuries into a series of galleries or sections (art, home, children, holiday theme, etc.) The front page would reflect these catagories. The treasuries curated would be more diverse and selected from a broader range of offered items. Admin would have fewer complaints about unfairness and the site would be more completely represented. If Etsy decides to limit the number of times a seller can be featured on the front page, the task of culling treasuries for the front page would be easier. Treasury browsers could narrow their views to items they are most interested in. Treasury makers would stand a better chance of being viewed and featured on the front page.

• jmrpottery