Thanks for listening to this podcast (otherwise known as online audio files) and for participating on Etsy. We asked for your questions in the comments of this post, and below we’ve embedded audio files with our responses. We are creating a written transcript of the audio files as well. With each response, we’ve clustered related links if you’d like to further explore a resource we refer to in our remarks.
We’ve done our best to provide context to your questions. As we listened to our remarks in their entirety, we of course thought, “Oh, we should have mentioned this” or “We could have been clearer about that.” Alas, we’re posting the audio and hoping that — along with our “ums and uhs” — you find this information helpful.
If your question was not answered, you may convo us, and we’ll do our best to answer. Please understand that many of us receive quite a few convos so our response time may not be instantaneous.
Thank you for buying and selling on Etsy.
Maria Thomas, Etsy’s CEO
– Intro (download transcript)
- Ideas Forums — Where members can suggest ways to improve Etsy.
- Virtual Labs — Look for Newbie Chats, Community Chat with Matt, Shop Critiques, Team Meetings, and more.
- Meet ups with Etsy Admin — Opportunities for Admin and members to meet face-to-face with each other.
Matt Stinchcomb, Etsy’s VP of Community
– Advertising and marketing (download transcript)
- Etsy in the Press — Our monthly round ups of major coverage.
- Cooperative Advertising Program — Previously, we had more partners, but due to the economy and shifting media practices, CRAFTzine is now just online and no longer has a print version, and Mary Engelbreit’s Home Companion is no longer published.
- Handmade Moment — Etsy’s video contest running throughout summer of 2009. Get involved!
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing) — Learn more in our Marketing posts.
- Team Grants — Etsy’s program to assist creative, dedicated and energetic Teams with financial resources.
- Guest Curators and Shop Live hosts, such as:
- Holiday underwriting on NPR (National Public Radio sponsorship) — Some forum threads with reactions:
- An example of another Etsy initiative designed to help promote the site and sellers:
Sara Hicks, Etsy’s VP of Product Development
– Seller tools (download transcript)
- Tech Updates — Find out about new and improved site features through this featured column. Recent announcements include:
- Rearrange Your Shop — beta test of a new seller tool coming soon.
- Beta Test of Shipping Regions Tool — beta test of a new seller tool coming soon.
- Pay Your Etsy Bill with PayPal
- Etsy Web Analytics (Google Analytics for Your Etsy Shop)
- Talking Product with Sara.
– Shopping site features
- Search — Ongoing, iterative improvements to this site feature. Recent announcements include:
- Checkout — Ongoing, iterative improvements to this site feature.
- Favorites — Ongoing, iterative improvements to this site feature.
– Reselling & Flagging (download transcript)
Chad Dickerson, Etsy’s CTO (Chief Technology Officer)
– Site traffic (download transcript)
- Talking Tech with Chad.
- Statistics, Surveys, and the monthly Weather Report.
- Handmade Code — Our series profiling new applications to come out of the Etsy Developer Community. An API is basically a set of tools that allows third-party developers to build new applications based on the unique data and capabilities provided by, in this case, Etsy.com.
– Vintage & Supplies (download transcript)
- Etsy Finds Vintage — Our blog/email series dedicated to vintage on Etsy.
Matt Stinchcomb, Etsy’s VP of Community
– Home page and other curated areas of Etsy (download transcript)
- Tune in to Merchandising Desk posts and seller chats.
- Treasury How-To’s
- Photography How-To’s, such as:
- Voter — FAQs about this interactive site feature.
– How to get your items noticed
- Seller Handbook — All our how-to’s about selling on Etsy. In particular check out:
- Etsy Teams — Self-organized groups of members who band together because of a common, interest, craft, location, or marketing philosophy.
- Etsy Success email list — Subscribe and get helpful tips delivered to your inbox.
– Closing remarks (download transcript)
It’s been an experiment recording this podcast. We’re not sure about the format ourselves, but we’d love to hear your thoughts in this forum thread.
We found all of the items below through Pounce Undiscovered.