A big thank-you to everyone who took our brief Shopper Survey! We’ve been working on a number of important payments-related enhancements and your feedback is critical. These surveys are a fast and efficient way to get structured feedback from many of you; they complement our usability testing, traffic analyses and financial metrics.
We wanted to share some of the results of this survey with you:
- In the five days that the survey was offered, we received close to 3,000 responses from shoppers throughout the United States and in the United Kingdom, Australia, Argentina, Aruba, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Thailand! Clearly, the Etsy community is global, and one of our follow-up surveys in the New Year will focus more on international buyers and sellers.
- PayPal was the overwhelming current preferred method of payment, with 90% of respondents preferring to log in directly to PayPal to make purchases, rather than to not log in and use a credit card processed by PayPal (PayPal calls this ‘Guest Checkout’).
- In response to our question about future methods of payment, PayPal was also the winner by a 40% margin over the other possibilities presented: credit cards processed by Etsy, credit cards processed by PayPal, Direct Debit, Google Checkout and Amazon Payments.
- Etsy’s site search was the number-one way respondents said they find items on Etsy. As noted recently by VP of Product Management Sara Hicks, we’re working hard to make improvements so stay tuned. Browsing categories and Favorites were the next most popular ways to find items on Etsy.
- Speaking of Favorites, 95% of respondents said they actively add items to their Favorites and 50% said they add items to their Favorites almost every time they visit Etsy. 75% of respondents said they regularly purchase items they’ve added to their Favorites. We knew Favorites were important and this was a welcome confirmation.
We also received many thoughtful responses to the open-ended survey questions about Etsy’s current checkout process and overall shopping experience. The responses ran the gamut from “Everything is amazing!” to “It’s terrible! Fix it!” Many respondents said they found the jump to PayPal during checkout confusing at first. We’re going to be incorporating Etsy branding into the PayPal checkout pages linked from Etsy to lessen the confusion experienced by some new buyers.
And as noted last month by CEO Maria Thomas, we’re going to be offering sellers the option to pay their Etsy bill using PayPal in the coming weeks. These enhancements are a small part of a comprehensive look at all payments processes on Etsy. Improving the checkout process and shopping experience on Etsy is one of our major focus projects for 2009.
Thanks again to everyone who participated in the survey. We’re reading and listening and putting your constructive feedback to work.
If you want to get the breaking, vital Etsy news as it happens — delivered straight to your email inbox, then sign up for Etsy News Alerts emails. Read more about it here. Expect this as an Etsy Alert email in your inbox if you already subscribe to the list.
You can also get an RSS feed of all TechUpdates here.