Team Tip: Shop Critiques!

Oct 20, 2008

by sarawearsskirts

Your fellow Etsy Team members can be a really valuable resource for running your Etsy shop! At this critical time of year when you’re marketing your handmade wares and driving traffic to your items, you want to make sure you’re really putting your best foot forward. Below are some ideas on how to take a few simple steps and really kick your Etsy shop into high gear with the help of your fellow teammates!

1. Take turns making a forum thread for different members’ shops with helpful tips on changes they can make.
  2. Decide if you’re critiquing whole shops or just a certain aspect of shops – for example, you might focus on photography one week, tagging another, pricing another, etc.
  3. Invite some buyers! Members of Etsy who don’t have shops can give great advice from a slightly different perspective! Remember not to spam buyers to get them to help your Team, but rather if your Team has members who are buyers-only, be sure to include them. Reach out to your friends and acquaintances.
  4. Keep it constructive! Remember, you want to give each other enough feedback to make the session worthwhile, but keep it useful and constructive. Try not to be negative without offering ideas for the person to improve the aspects of their shop that aren’t currently in top form.
  5. Schedule a follow-up session! Plan to meet again in a week or so to check out the changes that have been made. Keep each other motivated to make improvements.

There are a nice added benefits of shop critiques among your teammates: not only does it raise the quality of the shops you’re working with to promote, but you’ll get to know their shop in more detail and learn more about the items everyone is selling. This makes it easier to recommend your teammate’s shops by word of mouth, increasing everyone’s traffic.

For more Team Tips, please check the Teams Resource page.  Also, we discuss the Team Tips, news and ideas in the Etsy Teams email list! Keep up the great work, Etsy Teams!

Zelma FatCat Focal Bead Handmade Lampwork by teribeads  SRA
REDUCED - Baby Beau Delicious Hand Knitted Slippers to fit 0-3 months
REDUCED - Baby Beau Delicious Hand Knitted Slippers to fit 0-3 months
Sold
recycled, quilted vintage fabric clutch...sustainable purse
recycled, quilted vintage fabric clutch...sustainable purse
Sold
Beautiful Bamboo - Singles - Serenity - HandDyed HandSpun Single Ply Bamboo Yarn 2 skeins available
Sold
Soft Ecru Crocheted Washcloth
Soft Ecru Crocheted Washcloth
Sold
Oatmeal Milk and Honey - Vegan
Oatmeal Milk and Honey - Vegan
Sold
Three Trees - Memories of Summer - Original 6 by 6 Acrylic painting - deep canvas
Sold
Sweet Nothings Necklace
Sweet Nothings Necklace
Sold

• Weezawear

Weezawear said 8 years ago

Joining an etsyteam is great. I've joined Etsymom. I've already learned a lot and it has helped me to gain exposure.

• BooneBooks

BooneBooks said 8 years ago

teams are awesome. also, critiques can really change your experience of selling here on etsy...my shop was critiqued by some admins when there was a series of critiques being done, last year at some point. it was so incredibly helpful. any feedback is so useful! great article, thanks for the suggestions.

• dogties

dogties said 8 years ago

Teams rock... Share the love.

• SeaSideSupply

SeaSideSupply said 8 years ago

Teams are the greatest benefit on Etsy as far as I'm concerned! Safety in numbers!! Go Julie B!!!

• myshrunkenhead

myshrunkenhead said 8 years ago

Thats great advice when you live in the sticks. Thanks.

• designsbywendyt

designsbywendyt said 8 years ago

I've learned SO MUCH from my team members! I love them! :)

• nanouke

nanouke said 8 years ago

My team, European Street Team, has the most wonderful, unique, funny and loving sellers on Etsy. I don't know what I would do without their support. Translating, cheering up, featuring me on treasuries.. A lot of good karma there! If you don't live in Europe, I advise you to do so, so you can join us crazy girls (and boy).

• Hatdiva

Hatdiva said 8 years ago

I joined EtsyFast awhile ago. I wanted to be a part of a group, and add awareness for my product. Though with a busy toddler I haven't figured out how to make it work for me yet. I never have time to go to chat rooms. Though I do know my major points to improve on are photography (especially with a live model!) and more listings. I learned that from the forums critiques. I never realized a team could be helpful with this as well.

• Dynamicarthouse

Dynamicarthouse said 8 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am very very new to etsy.com I creatd my shop last week and added new items on Saturday and today. I opted to showcase in Storque on the 22nd. Would greatly appreciate any feedback or tips about my shop. I live in Co Springs CO and if any of you live near me let me know. I have had my online business since 2001 and was introduced to Esty 10 days ago. Thanks for all your help and if there is anything I can do to help you let me know Smiles Lisa

• MeghanT

MeghanT said 8 years ago

I'm trying to find a team to join at the moment! I have written to a few people, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I think teams are a great way to colaborate with other members, and get support.

• MissAnn

MissAnn said 8 years ago

A very good idea for teams.

• camilita

camilita said 8 years ago

How do I join a team? I'm very new to Etsy-just a couple of weeks- and I need all the help I can get. I've visited with a critique chat room last week and I thought there was o lot of good advice going on.

• Dynamicarthouse

Dynamicarthouse said 8 years ago

Hi Meghan, Great idea about teams (mastermind group) I am interested let me know BTW your jewelry is wonderful I was drawn towards your bracelet Smiles Lisa

• Dynamicarthouse

Dynamicarthouse said 8 years ago

Stopping in to say hi to everyone Have a super inspiring day Smiles Lisa

• daniellexo

daniellexo said 8 years ago

Awesome tip, Sara!

• kittyd

kittyd said 8 years ago

Great idea!

• Dynamicarthouse

Dynamicarthouse said 8 years ago

Have a great weekend the weather here in Colorado is beautiful today blue skys and sunshine Thanks so much for your comments on my store front and I welcome more. If I can help you out in any way give me hollow at dynamicarthouse@aol.com Smiles Lisa

• Mycraftgarden

Mycraftgarden said 8 years ago

Hi Thank you for your tip

• sycamorestreetpress

sycamorestreetpress said 8 years ago

this is a great idea. i am a part of the etsy team columbus, and i need to figure out a way to be more active in it!

• Studio206

Studio206 said 8 years ago

I just joined Big Sky Montana Team this last week, and it has been a wonderful experience. There is great comraderie and support. It's fun being the only male around! I look forward to putting some of the ideas in this article to work.

• lilyofthevall77

lilyofthevall77 said 7 years ago

I am looking to join a group with others in Portland, Oregon area.