Etsy Statistics: September, Still Sunny!

Oct 8, 2008

by winenutnyc

I apologize for the delay in publishing these — we’re working on revamping the information we send out and were hoping to have these changes in place for this month.

Here are September’s key numbers, all of which represent the highest total ever for their categories:

• $7.93 million of goods sold — a 5% increase over August.
  • That represents 544,157 items sold, a 5.3% increase from August’s stats.
  • 911,191 new items were listed, up from 869,000 items last month, a 4.9% increase.
  • 96,473, new members joined the Etsy community, including 18,001 new sellers. Both of these rates of new sellers and new buyers are essentially flat from last month.
  • 344,000,000 page views were recorded on the site, a slight increase from August.

A few things to consider with these numbers:  September has one less day than August, which makes a significant difference as we start having $300,000 sales days (that’s right — even in these tough economic times, we set a single day record on Sept 30th: $305,000!).

Thanks to everyone in the Etsy community for all of their hard work in September!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

SALE - september sun
SALE - september sun
Sold

• gardengatedesigns

gardengatedesigns said 10 years ago

My sales were up in September until the Market came crashing down. I have not had but one sale since then. October for me is looking pretty bleak. Nice to know that other shops are doing well. Rosemary, Gardengatedesigns

• lpdesigns

lpdesigns said 10 years ago

Thanks! Does new items listed include renews?

• winenutnyc

winenutnyc said 10 years ago

The new item number does not include renewals.

• cozycottagecreations

cozycottagecreations said 10 years ago

Wow! What great numbers! I would not have predicted that. Makes me optimistic for the coming months.

• art2theextreme

art2theextreme said 10 years ago

I would have to agree with you so far gardengatedesigns. I would say about the same. Hopefully it will pick up for the holidays!

• soetebi

soetebi said 10 years ago

Amazing all the new members in September alone -- Etsy is the place to be!

• ribsmalone

ribsmalone said 10 years ago

whoazers!

• additionsstyle

additionsstyle said 10 years ago

I'm new to Etsy, and only had 3 sales, but these numbers do bring hope for the future. I can't wait for the holidays!

• ThePeachTree

ThePeachTree said 10 years ago

oblivious me didn't even know the wonderful world of Etsy did such things as these (statistics that is). happy peach, I am :)

• dangerousmezzo

dangerousmezzo said 10 years ago

So can someone tell my why Etsy doesn't allow its sellers access to their own statistics. While I'm happy for Etsy that things are going so well for the site, I'd really like my own stats so that I can run my own business here more efficiently.

• momerath

momerath said 10 years ago

And to think that without my help, Etsy's September sales would only have been 544,129: I contributed fourteen purchases and fourteen items sold. :)

• nicholasandfelice

nicholasandfelice said 10 years ago

fascinating! It was weird because i believe the stock market crashed on the 30th or so and we had an unusually great day that day too. yay etsy!

• bonspielcreation

bonspielcreation said 10 years ago

Wow, sweet! ANd that's even with seasonal fluctuations. Looking forward to a great Christmas.

• HandMeDownsYarns

HandMeDownsYarns said 10 years ago

With these turbulent times I'm so glad to have a little handmade safe harbor here! The economy makes me want to buy handmade even more, and I think these numbers show I'm in good company!!

• BrazanDesign

BrazanDesign said 10 years ago

Thanks for having such great news to share!

• XOHandworks

XOHandworks said 10 years ago

September was my biggest month so far on Etsy and October is starting great, too! Yeah!

• JustAnotherDay

JustAnotherDay said 10 years ago

rock on XO! see you this Saturday at CraftedTogether! :)

• thatwinsomegirl

thatwinsomegirl said 10 years ago

Very encouraging, thanks!

• momomatic

momomatic said 10 years ago

Sometimes I suspect that it's the shop owners buying up supplies that drive those numbers up. Anxiety is a powerful motivator to create new and better things.

• jkldesign

jkldesign said 10 years ago

Wonderful numbers, thank you so much for the info.:))

• HouseThatCrowBuilt

HouseThatCrowBuilt said 10 years ago

They should seperate the statistics a little more. I would love to know how much of those numbers are supplies. momomatic brings up a good point.

• haniyyajewelz

haniyyajewelz said 10 years ago

wow, that is pretty encouraging for a newbie like me. Hope to contribute to the growing number here =)

• GreenEdenVintage

GreenEdenVintage said 10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

• BibBon

BibBon said 10 years ago

Etsy IT'S A L I V E A L I V E!!!!! That pretty dang cool! Thank you Admin for all the hard work YOU DO! Let's make some more records! What do ya say?!

• CarolineHardy

CarolineHardy said 10 years ago

Some fairly rough calculations gives that as the average sale being $14.6 and a monthly average gross income of a shade under $40 per seller - is that right or did I fluff the numbers?

• embellishedlife

embellishedlife said 10 years ago

Yes, there shoud be more breakdown. What percentage of sales are from buyers only? How about a day-to-day and month-to-month graph so we can see the changes? Just summarizing the information for us is not enough.

• allisajacobs

allisajacobs said 10 years ago

Thank you for this information, very interesting & eye-opening!

• FeltInspired

FeltInspired said 10 years ago

Great news--and I had my best month on Etsy, too! Thanks for the information!

• autumnsarrival

autumnsarrival said 10 years ago

I absolutely love the stats every month. Great numbers and so good to see numbers are still increasing despite the economic trials the country is going through!!

• WingsDove

WingsDove said 10 years ago

It's good to read these statistics. I feel inspired despite these increasingly difficult economic times. It makes sense that members would increase -- more people looking for more ways to earn money -- with their own hands.

• dogties

dogties said 10 years ago

Great News!

• TheFunkyMarket

TheFunkyMarket said 10 years ago

I have to agree that Sept. was one of my best months on etsy! october has been the worst month by far for me...I have even noticed a decrease in number of views with every item in my shop! I am hoping/praying for higher numbers this holiday season!! good luck everyone!! take the handmade pledge!!

• happywhosits

happywhosits said 10 years ago

Would it be possible to get the statistics as a whole, and then the same stats without supplies and vintage? Eileen...

• SimonandRuby

SimonandRuby said 10 years ago

Thanks for the info! I hope to see increased sales as we enter into the holiday season!

• MelissasMelange

MelissasMelange said 10 years ago

It sounds like you are working on some more sophisticated statistics, I would certainly like to see some more break downs as have been suggested above, as well as some way that each seller can track their own statistics. Is there a way that we could have the ability to set up a Google Analytics thingy on our store? This would allow sellers who are interested in this to do it, without perhaps putting an extra burden on Etsy staff to come up with a system for everyone. Just a thought....

• Nickileigh

Nickileigh said 10 years ago

September was my first month selling on etsy. I did very well and was amazed by the response. I think it really has to do with what we put into it.

• Kubatica

Kubatica said 10 years ago

Wow, Thats nice to hear that ETSY is so popular amongst all the competition out there. I just recently switched from another site not worth mentioning because of the sky rocketing fees. I was building a business for over 3 years there and after all the loyalty they decided to tell me how to run my business. I hope Etsy is different. So far I love it because It's nice to see a site dedicated to hand made products. I am a visual artist and do custom oil and acrylic paintings and it is very nice to be amongst creative artists. I hope I can rebuild a sucessful business like I had before, on this site. It is very nice to read an article like this and see all the sucess you are all having. Thank you.

• NestaHome

NestaHome said 10 years ago

Yeah, I'd like to see stats without supplies... September was my worst month by far... And I know I am not alone.

• DragonRags

DragonRags said 10 years ago

Yes. Stats without supplies and vintage included would be good. My only sales in September (and it was my best month, for what it's worth,) were vintage items, not my handmades. Also, yes: Individual shop stats, please!

• sarahrutan

sarahrutan said 10 years ago

Thanks for the stats! It does sound like the site as a whole is doing great...which is great for all of us! But I agree with some sellers above that it would be nice to have a breakdown of statistics. That would be so helpful to me!! This September has been my worst month since I have been established here. It doesn't sound like I'm alone. Thanks admin!

• Lunaverse

Lunaverse said 10 years ago

It's weird, I was in a total dry spell until all this economic drama started and now my business is starting to pick up again! September was painfully slow but October is looking pretty good (so far anyway!)

• CeltChic

CeltChic said 10 years ago

I'm a newbie, and listed all my new items last month, and made my 1st sale, my 1st week. I thought I'd be waiting for a long time, I've been pleasantly surprised. I Love Etsy!

• sweet2685

sweet2685 said 10 years ago

Thank you! :)

• batfineart

batfineart said 10 years ago

We opened our shop in Sept. and our first sale was a few days later. Thanks for publishing the stats, which are important to know when you're working your marketing plan. We look forward to each month's results!!!

• petalandpink

petalandpink said 10 years ago

thanks for the stats! i have to say, my sales doubled in september...I mean I just started listing seriously in July, but still I was floored. Hopefully it's up and up from here!

• LeastLikely2Breed

LeastLikely2Breed said 10 years ago

September was great for me. After a slow start, I had my best month ever. Thanks for the report!

• punkybunny300

punkybunny300 said 10 years ago

Thanks! What great numbers!

• kachingdesign

kachingdesign said 10 years ago

Appreciate the info. I did really well in sept. Hope it doesn't stop getting better!

• angelstuff

angelstuff said 10 years ago

I'd love to see stats for each of handmade, vintage, and supplies. And what are page views - which pages are being viewed?

• thesunnysidebiz

thesunnysidebiz said 10 years ago

Impressive!

• danceswithfire

danceswithfire said 10 years ago

wow this is a great tool! thank you!

• Planetclairevintage

Planetclairevintage said 10 years ago

Nice to see rising sales. This month started slow for me But The last few days have had some sales. Yeah! I love etsy xoxo

• ccvalenzo

ccvalenzo said 10 years ago

It would be more meaningful if supplies were broken out .

• lhsblack

lhsblack said 10 years ago

Great numbers. Some people are still able so make some money in this economy. Good to hear.

• PetitPoulailler

PetitPoulailler said 10 years ago

Individual Stats for the three Categories (Handmade, Supplies, Vintage) would be most useful. Especially for sellers who have shops in more than one Category. But, then again, Individual Stats for each shop would be most beneficial of all. Since the framework for gathering stats is obviously available (hence, this article) when may we expect to see individual shop stats?

• SurrenderDorothy

SurrenderDorothy said 10 years ago

I'd love to see my own shop stats too. Will that ever happen? It sure would make me happy.

• LILGIRLCA

LILGIRLCA said 10 years ago

I would really like to see a chart with this type of information by month for at least the current and prior year. Info in paragraph form that you have to click on other articles to see the numbers is not very helpful in seeing how etsy is growning

• novadesigns

novadesigns said 10 years ago

I opened in July and September was a really good month for me. October is looking to be an even better month. Thank you for sharing the statistics, interesting reading..

• LBscrapboutique

LBscrapboutique said 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the stats! We just opened in September...looks like we chose the right place to open up shop!

• Susiesplace

Susiesplace said 10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am really glad to see this. I have been wondering how this site was doing and this info. is up lifting. Lets me know it is going good and promising. Thanks again hope this info. keeps coming.

• lavalleygirly

lavalleygirly said 10 years ago

I, too would love to see the stats broken down. Not that it will affect my business too much, it's just pure curiosity!! I have been doing really well here...every single sale feels like a little miracle to me :)

• Midnightcreations

Midnightcreations said 10 years ago

September was my 2nd best selling month for items sold. October feels slower a tad.

• ashjewels

ashjewels said 9 years ago

wow...I've been really slow lately, maybe it'll pick up come holiday season!

• MamiMadeIt

MamiMadeIt said 9 years ago

Is it possible to see the stats for the single categories?