Etsy Statistics: October’s Fall and Rise

Nov 6, 2008

by winenutnyc

We’re definitely keeping our eye on the economic conditions here at Etsy, but despite the turmoil, we still had another record setting month in October.

Here are October’s key numbers, each of which represent the highest total ever:

• $8.4  million of goods were sold — a 5.9% increase over September.
  • That represents 577,398  items sold, a 6% increase from September’s stats.
  • 976, 234 new items were listed, up from 911,191 items last month, a 7.1% increase.
  • 102,778, new members joined the Etsy community, including 19,689  new sellers. That’s our first month ever with over 100,000 new members — a 6.5% increase vs. September.
  • 358,000,000 page views were recorded on the site, a slight increase from September.

Thanks to everyone in the Etsy community for all of their hard work in October!

Curious about how other months compare? Check out our past Weather Reports for more statistics.

ON SALE The October and Oak Jumper
ON SALE The October and Oak Jumper
Sold

• dogties

dogties said 13 years ago

Go Etsy! Handmade Rocks... It cannot be beat!! Congrats to everyone on the continually amazing statistics.

• punky

VERY cool!

• mullishmuse

mullishmuse said 13 years ago

wicked stats!

• kateblack

kateblack said 13 years ago

I wonder how the increase for Etsy Co. translated for individual sellers. Most long-term sellers I know noticed a decline in business (quantity and amount spent) from this time last year. A 6% total increase for all sellers seems less stellar once divided among all sellers including the 100,000 newbies.

• futurowoman

futurowoman said 13 years ago

It's interesting to me. I wonder what the statistics are in terms of average per seller. There may be a lot of growth in terms of people selling--including people who are trying to supplement their incomes in these difficult times--and sales per seller may still be decreasing. I hope that's not the case (although it's dramatically the case for me and many others with whom I speak). I would love to see a chart detailing issues like sales per sellers and other, more detailed stats on how the growth of the site in terms of items sold and numbers of sellers fits with issues like actual profits, etc.

• HomemadeZen

HomemadeZen said 13 years ago

wow, that's great to hear!

• SewDanish

SewDanish said 13 years ago

Amazing numbers!!!

• olivebrown

olivebrown said 13 years ago

that's good to hear...(how do i get more of them to MY shop!?) :)

• EvelynX

EvelynX said 13 years ago

Wonderful numbers, GO ETSY!!

• starshinecompany

starshinecompany said 13 years ago

I've heard the same as kateblack. I would also be curious in how that would translate to individual sellers.

• XOHandworks

XOHandworks said 13 years ago

Well, this individual seller is up dramatically over last year :)

• enhabiten

enhabiten said 13 years ago

I second futurowoman's sentiment. Almost exactly when the bank system crashed my shop's sales were cut in half. I know I'm one little seller here, but I would like to know in more concrete terms if this is a broaded issue than just my experience.

• RaeGun

RaeGun said 13 years ago

I love stats

• notmoira

notmoira said 13 years ago

Yay etsy!!

• HiJinx

HiJinx said 13 years ago

October was my best month ever on ETSY. This is probably scewed because I just started listing fibre goods last October and didn't hit stride until Dec. That being said, I'm excited to get into the season. I've made lots of awesome contacts here and, with the election over, I'm looking forward to a prosperous holiday season :) GO ETSY! BUY HANDMADE!!!

• EJPcreations

EJPcreations said 13 years ago

GO ETSY GO!!!!

• houndmade

houndmade said 13 years ago

Now that's a lot of page views. We definately saw an increase last month.

• kateblack

kateblack said 13 years ago

Houndmade, I love your icon photo! Excellent color & composition.

• Valleycreations

Valleycreations said 13 years ago

Thanks for the info Etsy!

• kmwatkins

kmwatkins said 13 years ago

Well I am glad to hear that!

• jamieribisi

jamieribisi said 13 years ago

I'd like to comment on the featured image spot above. Why does Etsy promote an image from Flickr when they could be promoting an Etsy item & seller instead? I don't ever see the need to use a Flickr image unless you are interviewing a person and need to show an image of them. Promote Etsy & it's sellers-- not random FLickr images.

• LazyTcrochet

LazyTcrochet said 13 years ago

It does sound good. Looking forward to seller stats soon I hope!

• LuLusMeltShoppe

LuLusMeltShoppe said 13 years ago

Yey! Go etsy!

• theresaschauer

theresaschauer said 13 years ago

As a new Etsian, it's good to hear things are going strong!

• serpilerol

serpilerol said 13 years ago

Just joined Etsy 2 weeks ago and it makes me so happy to see in numbers how many people are respecting handmade goods and choosing to buy unique items that are made by creative individuals...I never thought I could reach the ideal customers who fit this description, thank you Etsy!

• StudioMarlene

StudioMarlene said 13 years ago

I'm part of the October new seller's community! I love Etsy! The Original Fine Art market in the Art Galleries have slowed down, so I came here to make a little cash on lower priced prints. It has been fun!!

• scorpienna

scorpienna said 13 years ago

So if there was a 7.1% increase in the number of new items listed, but only a 6% increase in the number of items sold, then that means the likelihood of a particular item selling has dropped in the past month. Right? Anyone want to share this statistic?

• MelissasMelange

MelissasMelange said 13 years ago

scorpienna, I was thinking the same thing, it means that the percent of new items being listed is higher than the percent of items being sold. That is probably contributing quite substantially to the glut in search functions that people have been experiencing. It also may mean that people are using the downturn to list more items hoping for more buys. It is likely that it will take a longer amount of time for items to be sold, also contributing to the glut. I am waiting patiently for the new search system and hope that that will help some of those issues. Thanks for the stats, Etsy. As always, we would appreciate more details, but understand that you may not want to share them.

• TheKnottyPine

TheKnottyPine said 13 years ago

Nice to know Etsy is still growing despite the economic uncertainty! Welcome all new sellers and buyers! I know you'll love it here :)

• sunrutea

sunrutea said 13 years ago

wow, those are great numbers!! I feel soo small in this huge etsy universe!!

• kateblack

kateblack said 13 years ago

Scorpienna, that's about what I get from the math. Huge new influx of sellers. Slight increase in total sales. This seems to substantiate my anecdotal observations that individual sellers are doing worse than they were before.

• ebbandflo

ebbandflo said 13 years ago

i'd love to know the percentage of sellers on etsy who make a sale on a month by month basis - if this was increasing then maybe we would have some measure of how individual sellers, rather than etsy inc, were doing. i'd also be interested in knowing how many sellers are active, how many shops 'close' or don't show any active listing activity and the beakdown of etsy income from relisting/listing vs sales fees - then i might be a little more confident about how well etsy as a selling venue is doing and might even add a few ra-ra's to my comments.

• Kristinopolis

Kristinopolis said 13 years ago

Well, if companys go down, there are still people who make things by hand! I think that's why the economy didn't affect etsy. I think that our new president will make a lot of people happier, and happy people feel better about themselves and can be more creative. The more creative we are, the better we can use our resources to make something amazing! I'm so excited to be a part of Etsy in its time of growth!

• bathbyriley

bathbyriley said 13 years ago

I am so happy to be a part of etsy. ! ETSY ROCKS!!!!!!!1

• sarahcruse

sarahcruse said 13 years ago

Wow! That's great news, just when I start to really wonder if its all going to be ok, I hear about something like this or a friend sells a painting... I have faith, it's already looking up after Tuesday!

• peppermintstudios

peppermintstudios said 13 years ago

wow!! so good to know that much was sold even when things are so scary!!! GO ETSY!

• VirtuousCreations

VirtuousCreations said 13 years ago

WOW! It's great to be connected to something that is flourishing despite the economy. Congratulations to all Etsy sellers, old and new. Way To Go!

• jenkennedydesigns

jenkennedydesigns said 13 years ago

I have an advertising and marketing degree so enjoy seeing how things are going for Etsy and sales/traffic. Etsy still needs to heavily promote itself until it becomes a household name. I am afraid it will become more like eBay with lots of sellers and not enough buyers. I hope not. Long term success and growth will only occur if the site is marketed well. I'd love to see more full page advertisements in magazines. These seem to be sold out and a huge success. We want more more more. Here's to lots of sales.

• RubyBeets

RubyBeets said 13 years ago

Great News! Thank you!

• HannahsTutus

HannahsTutus said 13 years ago

Great News I will say October was an incredible month for us which isnt surprising considering what we sell. Its nice to hear all these statistics I was setting up custom sales for people left and right that had contacted me thru my regular website that had no shopping cart in it so I found it easier to set them up with a custom in my etsy store prob. a good 60% of my sales in October were individuals that I refered from my website to my etsy store for their sale. More people are focusing on etsy sellers on their blogs and the handmade community I am very eager to see what Nov and Dec brings to etsy with the Holiday season and whether the economic worries will deter or actually encourage buyers to come to our community! Thanks for all the data!

• MABSCrochet

MABSCrochet said 13 years ago

Geez, it seems that our shop was the only one to have sales decrease in October.

• LegendaryTigerHero

LegendaryTigerHero said 13 years ago

Alright! Etsy: 1 Cheap Crap from the mall: 0

• Timeless

Timeless said 13 years ago

So if I get this right, roughly twice as many items were listed than items sold? How is this good news? Also: does this include relisting and renewing, or are these only truly new listings? If it does not include relisting and renewing, that's even worse!

• KathleenF

KathleenF said 13 years ago

The Etsy community needs to be aware that new legislation (CPSIA, consumer protection act) that went into effect yesterday can put nearly everyone here out of business. You need to add your voices to be heard! The affect of regulations remain unclear but it is likely that entities such as Etsy itself -in that it facilitates the sale of non certified goods- is also subject to liability. Even if Etsy manages to defend itself successfully in an expensive law suit, the community will be severely impacted by the (likely to reach) 90% reduction in the sale of goods. This law has been flying under the radar but it won't continue to. More is here: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-requirements/

• GREENWOODSTUDIO

GREENWOODSTUDIO said 13 years ago

It's great to hear that ETSY is still growing!!

• abeadingheart

abeadingheart said 12 years ago

I

• abeadingheart

abeadingheart said 12 years ago

WOW i am so excited to be a part of ETSY. I am new to this site, and yes I am already addicted. Thank you etsy for the opportunity.I can't wait to see what is going to happen this year! :-)

• signsofmylife

signsofmylife said 12 years ago

always so happy to hear good news these days with the uncertainty of our economy and how high my florida property taxes have risen in one year. i am always very happy to know i found etsy and often hear the jubilation from others when i inform them of etsy's existence. i'm so happy with millions of others to the day that etsy was born to allow people such as myself to be able to reach, buy and sell from/to others i would otherwise not be able without this valuable site - etsy. thank you from the bottom of my heart for this birth and valuable service - kudos